1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ggh

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ggh » Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:20 pm UTC

This guy, however...

This guy is still standing in his room and is getting a little bored by the lack of any happenings.

Don't worry, dear bored guy. We'll get back to you!

Aw, poor bored guy! Who do you think he is? The date, combined with the start of the otherthingo, implies that it's B, but he doesn't look like B in bftf.

oHomestuck

Optional Decree: Ooh, I've got two ideas, but I need a moment to set up. A moment, not 20 hours please.

Edit: Okay, sorry for the delay. Go to http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/OTTers. You'll notice a bunch of broken (red) links. Click on one, and when it tells you there's no page, click Next, and write a sentence about the OTTer. I just made a cmyk entry:
Dubbed Grand Imagician, Master of Picardry, Holder of the Staff of Photoshop by ChronosDragon, cmyk graced the thread with all sorts of masterful images - sometimes helpful, sometimes funny.

Sadly, he has not been seen since the end of April 2013.

Some folks believe he was one half of a Helper/cmyk super-entity.

Thanks to SBN for the inspiration for this one!

Alternate Decree: PM a basementee. I think I'll PM Sustainabilizer to let him know there's a thing going on.

ETA: Also, of course, if you want to add a page about one of the many many OTTers I didn't make a broken link for, feel free to request a broken link, or add your own. If you run into any problems - just holler.
Last edited by ggh on Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:25 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:38 pm UTC

ggh wrote:but he doesn't look like B in bftf.
While there can be a similarity (or maybe even some relatedness) between BFTF and BSTA, these are not the same thing. Be careful when applying bftf-related assumptions to bsta.

ggh wrote:Jumping the gun, maybe, but I've just added bsta to the TAT wiki page:
http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/TimeAfterTime#bsta
But is it really a TAT?
the wiki wrote:TimeAfterTime (or Time after Time) is a collection of fan-made comics taking place in the same universe as Time and published in the same format as Time, i.e. as a series of frames which appear periodically, with a mouseover text.
It doesn't really fit the definition.
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

mscha

1190: "Time" - Time Randomly Revisited - np1034

Postby mscha » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:00 pm UTC

WRONGELL...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:♫ HEY, I JUST ENHANCED YOU, AND THIS IS CRAZY / BUT HERE'S MY LEML, SO THWAP ME MAYBE ♫

-- posted by randompixbot

ggh

Postby ggh » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:09 pm UTC

balthasar_s wrote:
ggh wrote:but he doesn't look like B in bftf.
While there can be a similarity (or maybe even some relatedness) between BFTF and BSTA, these are not the same thing. Be careful when applying bftf-related assumptions to bsta.
How do you feel about my Homestuck-related assumption that June 23 is that character's birthday?

balthasar_s wrote:
ggh wrote:Jumping the gun, maybe, but I've just added bsta to the TAT wiki page:
http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/TimeAfterTime#bsta
But is it really a TAT?
the wiki wrote:TimeAfterTime (or Time after Time) is a collection of fan-made comics taking place in the same universe as Time and published in the same format as Time, i.e. as a series of frames which appear periodically, with a mouseover text.
It doesn't really fit the definition.

Fair 'nuff. I've changed the bsta description at the top of the page to:
bsta by balthasar_s, in progress (viewer) - not much is known about this series yet, and in fact, it may not even belong on this list. There appears to be some overlap in the bftf and bsta universes, but that may simply be a function of being authored by balthasar_s.

Does that help? And then when we know more, it can go wherever it should?

Edit: spelling. I keep writing Homestruck instead of Homestuck.
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

thunk

Re: 1190: "14 and a half years and also five hours"

Postby thunk » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:33 pm UTC

I unmustarded my classes. Its all molpish. I think yay.

So I headed south on my carcastle, then turned around and headed north waiting for it on a seaish ferrocastle, then on a flycastle for the rest of the way home.

Epsilon.
Free markets, free movement, free plops
Blitz on, my friends Quantized, GnomeAnne, and iskinner!
troo dat

addams

Re: 1190: "14 and a half years and also five hours"

Postby addams » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:25 pm UTC

thunk wrote:I unmustarded my classes. Its all molpish. I think yay.

So I headed south on my carcastle, then turned around and headed north waiting for it on a seaish ferrocastle, then on a flycastle for the rest of the way home.

Epsilon.
umm. A Homecoming for Thunk?
May it be a warm and welcoming Homecoming.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

ergman

Postby ergman » Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:25 am UTC

what's this? New TaT? oh wait, perhaps not new TaT but something different. I for one shall Wait and See.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

addams

Postby addams » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:14 pm UTC

ggh wrote:Ooh - I've always wanted to see a MoonBow, but I never have. Halos, yes, but I think maybe I don't know where or when to look for MoonBows.

Have you ever seen the movie Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole? Probably not. It's an animated film about owls - perhaps a bit more geared to the Little Wonder than to you. Anyways, in that movie, the naughty Third-Reichish owls sometimes "moon-blink" young owls they've captured. Moon-blinking involves encouraging the tired little owls to fall asleep looking up into the full moon. In the morning, the owls are like docile little zombies - as though there was a group rate on lobotomies.

Maybe that's what happened to me. I love falling asleep looking up into the moon. I'll line myself up so that my head is in that little puddle of moonlight coming through the window. If I don't fall asleep right away, I'll scotch over to keep in it as the moon moves, like a horizontal sunflower - sometimes traveling beyond where it's comfortable to sleep.
What a sweet and interesting thing to know about you.
Ooh - I've always wanted to see a MoonBow, but I never have. Halos, yes, but I think maybe I don't know where or when to look for MoonBows.
umm. It is freezing Cold outside, tonight.
I know. The thermometer says so.
And; My cold hands and feet say so.

I went OutSide to look at the Moon.
It has an orange bow, again, tonight.
Spoiler:
The night is clear.
Only the very brightest stars can compete with the Moon.
The background sky is Maxfield Parish blue.
https://www.google.com/search?q=maxfiel ... _g6ED-M%3A
ggh; It is a Good Thing, you don't see this kind of MoonBow.
It is a bright Halo around the Moon, tinted Orange.

What I am seeing is MoonLight through Wood Smoke.
Many, Many people burn wood to heat their homes.

The smoke from all the fires has formed a thin layer of smoke.
That thin layer of smoke tints the light from the Moon's Halo.

So, there, ggh.
You are not missing anything Good.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

balthasar_s

Things are happening

Postby balthasar_s » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:18 pm UTC

1600, ggh!

ggh wrote:Does that help? And then when we know more, it can go wherever it should?

Actually, I don't know where this belongs. I don't see the need of creating any special category.
Bftf also didn't fit the definition. I did use the same format but it was not in the Time-world. But it was at least related.
And it the thread it had a similar role to other TATs.
BSTA uses a differen format.
But not very different. There are still frames appearong. Only that they have some additional text under themselves.
It's not the Time world either. But is it related? After 5 frames is too early to tell.

On the other hand,
the definition was made before we had bftf.
It perfectly described the things that we had then.
And who decides what is what?
We do.

Related: I made a viewer which is able to show all the TATs.
And now I make something which is not compatible with the viewer.

ggh wrote:
balthasar_s wrote:Be careful when applying bftf-related assumptions to bsta.
How do you feel about my Homestuck-related assumption that June 23 is that character's birthday?
Of course, this BSTA thing is not Homwstuck either (despite the similarity) so be careful when applying Homestuck-related assumptions as well (I would say - even more careful). But how about this assumption?
/bsta/v/4 wrote:Don't worry, dear bored guy. We'll get back to you!
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

ggh wrote:So, I don't see a way to type into the frame
balthasar_s wrote:No. the tape is write-protected.

ggh wrote:And even more recently:
Spoiler:
Two nights ago. I'm in a chatroom that I don't understand. This has been engineered by balthasar. There are bits of conversation between folks whose names I recognize from balthasar's world - and those conversations seem authentic to me. At first I think I'm there to get information for the puzzle, but, laugh at me if you like: it's becoming less and less apparent to me that where I am isn't real. It's entirely possible to me that I'm in a legit chat area used by balthasar's co-workers/associates - the ones who the characters in bftf are based upon. Maybe balthasar has hacked together a web interface to this chat so that he can mix together his people IRL with his people on the OTT. I don't know. All I see is that I am somewhere. They're not writing in Polish, but maybe they have to use English because of one or more English-speaking associates or clients.

For a while I'm writing silly stuff to them because I'm thinking of kosmiczne bzdety along with the mysteries I want to solve, but then I begin to feel like I shouldn't be "messing with them." Then - uh-oh - FTH starts asking me questions, and I start backtracking on things. He seems like he's genuinely trying to help me out with the tech, and then, as I tell him more about what's going on at my end of Coincidence, I start to worry that I'm telling him too much. What if I'm ruining everything, or if balthasar gets in trouble for this? He's asking questions; what am I going to do? It's like that moment when a cop is asking you a question and you're going to have to decide if you should lie before that next word comes out of your mouth. My heart is quickening and I'm flushed, and calling out on the thread for help.

So... there is balthasar, holding my hand on the thread, so that I can give up enough information in the chat to move the whole thing along to where I'll find out those guys are in 2010. And that my fears were ridiculous.
And there is balthasar, entering the chat as bicyclesonthemoonFromTwothousandFifteen (BFTF), to twist the whole thing into a Tom Stoppard play, before setting up the final plot point and delivering the payoff clue to the next stage of launching bsta. I'm left with my jaw hanging open. This is tight. This is brilliant.
I didn't expect such a stong reaction.
Which means that I did it better than I hoped to do. :)
And that wasn't easy.
When I made the events finally take place;
I had some outside things to do, like usual.
But these activities didn't require a full-time attention.
I had to perform some actions, wait some times. observe some results, and so on.
So I could afford some Coincidencing in the background.

Additionally, It felt like it's the right time.
So I decided that I'm doing this.
I'm making this happen now.
This is the moment where I set the event chain into a forward movement.

So I started.
And then!

People started coming to me with some small problems and I was supposed to help.
I didn't expect this. But things were already happening and I couldn't unhappen them just like that.
So I had to continue

And then! (x2 combo)
ggh wrote:My heart is quickening and I'm flushed, and calling out on the thread for help.
and this too.
So now I have to become a powerful master of situation;
and control the events in three realities at the same time:
Coincidence, OTT and Outside.

But I did it.
And, luckily, in none of them anything seemed to be not right (I hope).

I tried to make Coincidence look realistic.
I think I succeeded.
I didn't want the onglaunch mechanisms to look just like a big start button.
I wanted them to be real things.

Of course, the coincidence interface is not a fully functional one.
But the functionality it has was enough for its purpose.
To be a small window into the world of BSTA.
And if you look through the window,
maybe you can notice where the door is.

What a coincidence! (xIDONTKNOWHOWMANYANYMORE combo!)
At the time Coincidence became a thing on the OTT;
ED came here with his GrapeChannel,
which IS a fully functional chat system.

Two words is an actual, legitimate game interface.
People can use it and enjoy it even without any connection to BSTA.
I introduced it a long time before the BSTA launch.

But. from the beginning, when it was noticed on the OTT,
it was already possible to launch BSTA with it.

Coincidence was the most interactive part.
So it was the most unpredictable one.
But I was prepared.
I had some ways made how to interact with it to bring the events to the right place.
But there was one thing I was not prepared for at all.

There was only one of you.
For most of the time there was only one OTTer on Coincidence.
And everything I prepared had the assumption that there would be more (not necessarily at the same time).
So I had to throw away some of it (because it made no sense in the new context) and make up something new.

Do you know what I really miss when I'm creating things (like films, comics, etc)?
Being able to see them not as the author but as someone who sees it for the time and does not know what to expect from it.
At the time when the thing I did is ready and I look at it I already know it very well.

But,
I can experience something else.
The process in which small ideas flying in the air start accumulating and forming a thing which becomes more and more real.
And I'm right there to see it.
Even more,
I'm making this happen!
That's a really strong feeling.

I don't know why actually I'm making things.
But this might be related.

And then I post the ready thing.
And I can see others seeing it, reacting to it.
I can see how it influences a fragment of reality.

When I made bftf I was waiting for the frames to appear and to see what happens on the OTT.
In the very first days of bftf I had trouble falling asleep - such big emotions it caused.

If you want to wait for a TAT more than ever before - make one.

The tape interface as the starting mechanism - that was not an accidental choice.
It will make more sense in the future, I think.
BSTA
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy

thunk

Re: Things are happening

Postby thunk » Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:48 pm UTC

balthaleaks wrote:Of course, this BSTA thing is not Homwstuck either (despite the similarity) so be careful when applying Homestuck-related assumptions as well (I would say - even more careful). But how about this assumption?

Right, so there's no point in telling the guy to retrieve his arms from the nearest shelf.
----
Molpy got back. Home that is. Pretty nippy, I can only imagine how Cuegan would have felt in this weather.
"what is this white stuff?"
troo dat

balthasar_s

I have 1773 postsw now. The latest othercomic is also 1773.

Postby balthasar_s » Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:58 pm UTC

thunk wrote:Right, so there's no point in telling the guy to retrieve his arms from the nearest shelf.
Why not? Retrieving arms seems to be the most logical thing to do in this situation. Doesn't it? :wink:

ETA: speaking of homestuck-related assumptions,
Before: 4 wrote:OTT: I keep losing buttons. They just vanish. I don't understand it.
OTT: On the other hand, two Poo-chis mysteriously appeared.
OTT: So that's worth a few buttons.
Are buttons the BSTA equivalent of pumpkins?

ggh wrote:Now there's a BB button on bsta to make the bbcode for easy ONGing!
Beleieve me or not but when preparing BSTA I never thought about how to ONG this.

I added the BB link but I don't really like it. I liked it when there were only 3 links: Once again, Before, and Now.
I would like to have the BB link on the right side of the page instead of left.
But I couldn't do it.
The BB was still left-aligned even when I put it into a style="text-align: right;". I don't know how to do it right

EETA: What do you think about the bsta-related pages appearance?
Last edited by balthasar_s on Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:16 pm UTC, edited 4 times in total.
BSTA

addams

Re: Things are happening

Postby addams » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:00 pm UTC

thunk wrote:Molpy got back. Home that is. Pretty nippy, I can only imagine how Cuegan would have felt in this weather.
Thunk?
Is that OutSide leaking in?

Thunk?
Did you make a HomeComing?

Thunk?
Are you Happy with a Mopy Friend?

Thunk?
Do I ask too many questions?

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

thunk

1190: "Time": MEMEIFY THE PUNSAWS... WITH YOUR BLITZANITY

Postby thunk » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:54 pm UTC

addams wrote:
thunk wrote:Molpy got back. Home that is. Pretty nippy, I can only imagine how Cuegan would have felt in this weather.
Thunk?
Is that OutSide leaking in?

Thunk?
Did you make a HomeComing?

Thunk?
Are you Happy with a Mopy Friend?

Thunk?
Do I ask too many questions?

Yes, yes, no, no.
troo dat

ggh

Re: I have 1773 postsw now. The latest othercomic is also 1773.

Postby ggh » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:52 pm UTC

^
|

What a coincidence!

balthasar_s wrote:ETA: speaking of homestuck-related assumptions,
Before: 4 wrote:OTT: I keep losing buttons. They just vanish. I don't understand it.
OTT: On the other hand, two Poo-chis mysteriously appeared.
OTT: So that's worth a few buttons.
Are buttons the BSTA equivalent of pumpkins?
I'm afraid I don't know about Homestuck pumpkins. That was me retreating. I was afraid I was being too hamfisted in there, so I backed away to something light - something that was semi-legit, but also semi-silly. We do have two Poo-chis here whose origin I am unsure of....

addams wrote:So, there, ggh.
You are not missing anything Good.
That might not be quite the moonbow I want to see. I want to see one of these, and not a spray-induced one - I want to see it wild in the sky!

There are many things I want to say/ask/respond to, but the Little Wonder's Dad flew in yesterday, and I will have to hide my OTTing a bit. I may be semi-basemented for three weeks, though I think reading and short posts will still be in the cards.
Agatha the Awesomeful

addams

Postby addams » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:28 am UTC

ggh wrote:There are many things I want to say/ask/respond to, but the Little Wonder's Dad flew in yesterday, and I will have to hide my OTTing a bit. I may be semi-basemented for three weeks, though I think reading and short posts will still be in the cards.
Hide us?
Gee. Sweet ggh.
We are Not a porn site; Are we?
A naughty little pleasure?...Gee.

Well..ok.
It strikes me as wildly funny.

I suppose we are P.G.
Parental Guidance Recommended.

And; You are the Parent.
I, for one, will miss you.

Enjoy the Basement.
Do check on us from Time to Time.

I am reminded of a Joke:
Spoiler:
What is the difference between The Army and The Boy Scouts?
Spoiler:
The Boy Scouts have Adult Supervision.
It is the Season to weave memories for The Little Wonder.
I hope you have a Wonderful Time as a little Family.

Will this be her first Nutcracker Ballet?
Does she know if she likes ballet or not?

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

GnomeAnne
Location: [center][img]http://forums.xkcd.com/download/file.php?id=54350&t=1[/img]

1190: Time

Postby GnomeAnne » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:02 am UTC

addams wrote:
ggh wrote:There are many things I want to say/ask/respond to, but the Little Wonder's Dad flew in yesterday, and I will have to hide my OTTing a bit. I may be semi-basemented for three weeks, though I think reading and short posts will still be in the cards.
Hide us?
Gee. Sweet ggh.

Well..ok.
It strikes me as wildly funny.

I suppose we are P.G.
Parental Guidance Recommended.

And; You are the Parent.
I, for one, will miss you.

Enjoy the Basement.
Do check on us from Time to Time.

I am reminded of a Joke:
Spoiler:
What is the difference between The Army and The Boy Scouts?
Spoiler:
The Boy Scouts have Adult Supervision.
It is the Season to weave memories for The Little Wonder.
I hope you have a Wonderful Time as a little Family.

Will this be her first Nutcracker Ballet?
Does she know if she likes ballet or not?

We may as well be a porn site with pictures like this one:
Spoiler:
tits and pussy.png
Tits and Pussy

ETA:Get well soonest Rakhal.
Last edited by GnomeAnne on Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:18 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Wait For It.

Rakhal

Postby Rakhal » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:08 am UTC

New ONGS! Cool, these are the first ONGs I've seen since I made it to the present.

Pity I'm fighting off a nasty set of micromolpies :(

Good thing ggh is here to solve the Balthapuzzles, they're all way over my head!

(hmm, got quite a few posts to wait yet before I can do something nsfw to justify hiding the OTT from outsiders :))

--Rakhal

HES

Postby HES » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:00 pm UTC

addams wrote:We are Not a porn site; Are we?

Hmm. There are some questionable gifs early on in this thread...
He/Him/His Image

GnomeAnne
Location: [center][img]http://forums.xkcd.com/download/file.php?id=54350&t=1[/img]

Bongggg

Postby GnomeAnne » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:06 pm UTC

Get back to the guy

So, the guy is standing in his room.

Today, the 23th of June 2011 is the day of his birthday.

Today is also the day when his name will be finally revealed.

What will the name be?

So, 2011. And we're going to learn his name.
Wait For It.

taixzo

Re: Tech Support

Postby taixzo » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:00 pm UTC

GnomeAnne wrote:Taixzo, how do you pronounce your name?

Pretty phonetically. Tie-kso.

Things happening in the thread are becoming increasingly puzzling.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:46 pm UTC

New OtherComic.

taixzo wrote:Things happening in the thread are becoming increasingly puzzling.

Indeed. :)
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

addams

Postby addams » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:48 pm UTC

HES wrote:
addams wrote:We are Not a porn site; Are we?

Hmm. There are some questionable gifs early on in this thread...

ooowww....
Where?!
(tee-hee) I like a little 'light hearted' nsfw.

oh! umm...It has happened, again.
We have made another trip around The Sun, together.

Like an old friend or treasured family,
I Love You more each year. (*XX 00*)
Spoiler:
Those are Hugs and Kisses.
Don't worry. I couldn't bruise your ribs;
Even if I wanted to.

edit:
taixzo wrote:Things happening in the thread are becoming increasingly puzzling.

Indeed. :)[/quote]
Yey!
I did it!

Simple enough for a child.
Simple enough for me.

That was fun.
Thank you.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Gingercat

Postby Gingercat » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:49 pm UTC

Schrödinger's Gingerbox phases in about half a foot off the ground, and drops to the floor. A muffled "Oof!" is emitted from within; it would appear the Cat is inside it for the transition, but of course there is no proof. Maybe the cat IS the box, in a sense.

No proof, not even the sounds of scribbling and mutterings of "Torgos", "Goblins" and "damned huge Gibbering Mouther" or somesuch, because nobody was recording sound at the time of the box's appearance.

A pity. If you were to open the box, with its floating hat, what would you see? Or unsee perhaps? The First Cleric might know.

The Basement contains many strange artifacts; a teleporting Gingerbox may be among the more normal of them...
I am Schrödinger's Gingercat.

thunk

1190: "uh

Postby thunk » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:25 am UTC

What will the name be?

Musztarda Rowerowski?
troo dat

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:27 am UTC

Gingercat wrote:The Basement contains many strange artifacts; a teleporting Gingerbox may be among the more normal of them...[/i]

This is sounding like the Room of Requirement from the Harry Potter series. Wear whatever hats you like, but I'd be cautious of putting on any tiaras you find in there.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

january1may

Postby january1may » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:10 am UTC

Hello! I'm an OTTer. I think. I've heard there's a list of OTTers on the wiki, and I'm not on that list, so maybe I'm not actually an OTTer. But I'm going to think I'm an OTTer anyway. (Is this a basement?)

Anyway, I've been blitzing before, back in the last few mips of 0 A.T. (early Mystery to late Advent, i.e. early December 2013 to mid-March 2014 in Outsider terminology), but I got distracted when the Furious Doodling came up, and then I got distracted more, and spent a bit in the Present, and joked about my lack of blitzing, but never actually returned to the blitzing part. And at some point I just forgot and withdrew from the OTT entirely (though kept lurking there occasionally).
My last post, before todip, was 4:51pmRS, Departure 28, 2 A.T. (May 19, 2015). My last visit (again, before todip) was 10:34am, Voyage 16, 2 A.T. (October 22, 2015 - apparently to change my sig). Todip is Randix, Mystery 18, 3 A.T. (December 19, 2016, and yes, I know it's not, blame yappocization), so suffice to say it's been a while.

A lot of things happened in the Outside part of my life since May 2015, obviously - which partly explains why I forgot so much about the OTT.
Perhaps most notably, I got a B.A. in mathematics (just like Madison's first running mate) - it was actually nearly done by May - and continued on to my Master's (at this point nearly three semesters in - would've been one to go but my degree paper hadn't even started yet and I doubt I'm going to make one up so quickly).
(Another reason was the sheer amount of Worm fanfics... I even joined Reddit to participateHV in their Worm fanfic community. Though - as mentioned below - ultimately that was also how I got my way back here eventually.)

At some point (February 2016, apparently), I decided that I really needed to be able to make some comments on Othercomic threads - which I wasn't able to do with this account (okay, "wasn't able" might not have been exactly right - it was pretty much a side-effect of a personal challenge).
So I created another account, which was named for an alternate-universe version of the main character of one book series I liked (I have actually made a few posts with it recently, but currently I do not expect to ever use it within the OTT).

Anyway, a few wips back, I decided that I should probably return to the OTT and continue my blitz. But then I realized that... it's been so long that I completely forgot what was even going on in the NP260s, and continuing from that point would make no sense. So I decided to restart my blitz instead (and maybe symbolically join up with the original attempt once I reach NP267 again).
I asked Eternal Density (ED, sorry, I know it was a PM, but I never intended it to be a secret from the OTT, I just thought it wouldn't be very on-topic on the other forum) about whether such a thing would be possible; I can't actually recall what xe answered, but it basically came down to "yes, of course, you can blitz in whatever way you want, or even not blitz at all if you prefer that option".
(Might as well quote BlitzGirl: "Have fun blitzing (or schizoblitzing, or whatever manner of otting you choose)." Though that was way back when I joined originally.)

I thought for a while about the appropriate starting point of my second blitz attempt. Ultimately, I decided that, since I originally started my blitz by waiting until 2^2^2^2^2^01.0 posts since the Dawn of Time (plus a little bit, because I also had to go through the firstpost motions), it would only make sense to start the second attempt at 2^2^2^2^2^01.0 shortpix since the Dawn of Time - which happens to have been about 38 shortpix ago todip (yes, I got a bit distracted by assorted Outside stuff).
Hopefully this attempt will last longer than the previous (I'll try not to be distracted by events in the OTT Present too much - it helps that the current set of mysteryONGs is still too mysterious for me to follow - though I'll probably still get occasionally distracted by Outside events).

Um... Randallspeed on my blitz? Can I say that? I'm not sure if it was supposed to be said by another OTTer. (If any other OTTer wants to say it anyway, let Randall bless xem, um, also anyway!)

Looking forward to my first actual blitz report of this attempt (probably after the coma).

RS both timestamps are Randall Standard, i.e. UTC-4... four longpix behind what I have the forums set for, seven longpix behind where I actually livemap, and ironically enough a few longpix ahead of where I'm yappocized at
HV Eternal Density, just so you know, it was me who nominated you as favorite author for the ongoing "Best of 2016" poll
1.0 I distinctly remember being able to post multi-level superscripts, but apparently it's not possible anymore... I suppose I could just say 2^^4 instead, that doesn't need any superscripts, but it's not as hilarious
map the OTTer Map doesn't show my actual location, of course - it shows the place where I had taken all the exams I kept referring to, which happens to be in the same city
There are two films that I particularly like.
One of them is a science-fiction dramatic comedy involving a boy who accidentally travelled in time. Extremely popular when it originally came out in 1985, it retains a major cult following to this day.
The other one, of course, is Back to the Future.

addams

Re: 1190: "uh

Postby addams » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:32 am UTC

thunk wrote:
What will the name be?

Musztarda Rowerowski?

Boy McBoyface....

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

ggh

Postby ggh » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:42 am UTC

addams wrote:
Hide us?
Gee. Sweet ggh.
Funny you should say that, and others should run with it. By sheer Coincidence, I am reading this huddled alone in my car parked just in front of Splash Club (or The Mermaid I can never figure out which one is its proper name - they're both on the signage) on Courtney Place in Wellington. This is what I'm reduced to for OTTing. Splash Club, I believe has big fish tanks of naked women inside. I can't say for sure, because the one time I tried to enter that establishment, they turned me away because I wasn't wearing shoes. My mates and I thought that was pretty funny. Anyways, there's free wi-fi here. I waited until the Little Wonder fell asleep watching Galaxy Quest and her dad was seriously groggy, and I drove into town for the wi-fi.

I have been Without Internet for a day and a half now. My upgrade from ADSL to VDSL went the way of so many upgrades. <sigh> I am not dealing well without internet. I miss you and I miss ONG. And I miss having all my questions answered by the hive mind. Why is my homemade mayonnaise not getting thick?

And I have to share a personal milestone! Yesterday, I made the Little Wonder's Dad a ham sandwich. It had two slices of bread, ham, mustard (the yummy kind) and lettuce from the greenhouse. I was so happy!

I have to be quick, and I am slow, so I have only skimmed. But I've opened the page, so I will be able to read it back home. For now, let me just say about this:
january1may wrote:Hello! I'm an OTTer. I think. I've heard there's a list of OTTers on the wiki, and I'm not on that list, so maybe I'm not actually an OTTer. But I'm going to think I'm an OTTer anyway.
that to say that list of OTTers is incomplete is like saying that the sea is bigger than a breadbox. Of course you're an OTTer! I think the way I added links to that page was to add everyone who was on the last few pages who'd posted a few times, and then toss in a few folks from a handful of scattered earlier NPs. By no means exhaustive. Just hoping to get the ball rolling. :) Add yourself! Btw, since it's come up recently, did you know that you're in the wOTTerfall?

Righteo - must quick check the weather, try to debug the mayo, and head back home.
Last edited by ggh on Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:51 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Agatha the Awesomeful

karhell

Postby karhell » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:03 am UTC

ggh wrote:Why is my homemade mayonnaise not getting thick?
Too much oil added too fast, I'd wager. It's the most common mayonnaise-making mistake.
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
lmjb1964 wrote:We're weird but it's okay.
ColletArrow, katakissa, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!

GnomeAnne

Postby GnomeAnne » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:08 pm UTC

Well since no one else said it, Randallspeed january1may. May your journey through Time be filed with joy. I hope to meet you again when we are both proper residents of the present.
And with that, I bid you all a very fond farewell, and go to continue my blitz.

Please ignore the contents of this spoiler
Spoiler:
Q0B4.PNG
Last edited by GnomeAnne on Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:43 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Wait For It.

HES

Postby HES » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:02 pm UTC

Hello again january1may! Of course you are an OTTer, you're here aren't you?

addams wrote:ooowww....
Where?!
(tee-hee) I like a little 'light hearted' nsfw.

My search-fu failed me last night (though I was also recovering from a wisdom tooth extraction), but there were at least two. I notice a number of early image links are broken, however.

On that note -
MUSTARD FORECAST
Dropbox are changing their sharing policy and as a result, about 90% of my image links are going to break. Anyone know a good way to sift through and update the links? (The files aren't going anywhere, but the viewable filepath is changing)
He/Him/His Image

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:31 pm UTC

january1may wrote:Hello! I'm an OTTer. I think. I've heard there's a list of OTTers on the wiki, and I'm not on that list, so maybe I'm not actually an OTTer. But I'm going to think I'm an OTTer anyway. (Is this a basement?)

Of course you're an OTTer! You've been in my sig for over a year!

january1may wrote:Ultimately, I decided that, since I originally started my blitz by waiting until 2^2^2^2^2^01.0 posts since the Dawn of Time

I will admit, this nerd-sniped me a bit; mainly because I kept miscounting the 2's, and coming up with larger numbers than the size of the universe. So I decided to work it out on paper. For anyone else curious, here it is:
(not sure if the 1.0 is a superscript or a footnote, but it comes out the same either way)
2^2^2^2^2^01.0
2^2^2^2^20
2^2^2^21
2^2^22
2^24
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

addams

Postby addams » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:16 pm UTC

HES wrote:My search-fu failed me last night (though I was also recovering from a wisdom tooth extraction), but there were at least two. I notice a number of early image links are broken, however.

On that note -
MUSTARD FORECAST
Dropbox are changing their sharing policy and as a result, about 90% of my image links are going to break. Anyone know a good way to sift through and update the links? (The files aren't going anywhere, but the viewable file path is changing)
oh, HES; Poor you.
We, humanity, will keep getting Wisdom Teeth.
Oh, of course, you know this.
go-- uv v v v
When you get a bug and virus free way of using DropBox,
Many of us will follow your directions.

Spoiler:
Something is very Wrong!
If I attempt to delete the "uv v v v", The Post, The Tab, The Page disappear.
Undo brings it back.....Gee,... How strange.

ggh; How strange and funny your situation is.
Spoiler:
If I were there, we'd find you a pair of shoes.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

thunk

1190: "Time": AT CHRONOCORP, NOMOLPY CAN SEE YOU CH*RP

Postby thunk » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:36 pm UTC

j1m wrote:both timestamps are Randall Standard, i.e. UTC-4... four longpix behind what I have the forums set for, seven longpix behind where I actually live, and ironically enough a few longpix ahead of where I'm yappocized at.

Huh, interesting. We almost share schedules then. Though Randall is an hour behind that now.
Of course you're an OTTer. One of the archetypal OTTers who inspired my blitz.

Have fun! С Новым годом!
troo dat

Sustainabilizer

Postby Sustainabilizer » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:29 pm UTC

Blindpost from NP2535 …
svenman wrote:
taixzo wrote:
ggh wrote:Here's one that doesn't quite work:
A B C D E
F G H I J K L
M N O P Q

Sure it does. That's definitely a high Q.

Forgive me if I'm pointing out the obvious, but if you pronounce the Q as "high Q", then the last line has six syllables. You can pronounce the last line with five syllables, but then the joke gets lost - that's why the "haiku" doesn't quite work, at least when read out loud.

You can pronounce the Q with a higher pitch, as in

A B C D E
F G H I J K L
M N O P Q?

… which fits quite well, as many Haikus end with a question.

(Sorry, I've drifted a little into the past, but, hey, I'm on a Blitzchen now. A molpish and holy experience. How's the present?)

((“Blitzchen” is German for a riverish Blitz. The “ch” is pronounced about like the “y” in “yes”, but without using your vocal folds. To get an impression, try to whisper “yes”.))
Confused about the OTT? See the Wiki!
Want more 1190: Time? Check out TimeAfterTime!
There is a MIRROR of the OTT, just in case.
Thanks for participating in my Scientific Conference and OTTer Meetup!
Help for addams completed successfully. Thanks!

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:03 pm UTC

Oh dear, I've slipped a bit into the past again. Every time I come back, I try to figure out what's going on with the stuff that balthasar and ggh post, and then I get sidetracked. :) Short attention span, what can I say? But I'm enjoying it, because of course undertanding not needed for enjoyment.

I just wanted to point out that when you said this, ggh:

ggh wrote:ETA2 renders ETA pointless. Skip past spoiler.

I didn't :D

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:07 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:Oh dear, I've slipped a bit into the past again. Every time I come back, I try to figure out what's going on with the stuff that balthasar and ggh post, and then I get sidetracked. :) Short attention span, what can I say? But I'm enjoying it, because of course undertanding not needed for enjoyment.

I just wanted to point out that when you said this, ggh:

ggh wrote:ETA2 renders ETA pointless. Skip past spoiler.

I didn't :D

ETA:

thunk wrote:I see things are happening now. gumshoegh has noticed the Javascript.

Nice.

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

ggh

Postby ggh » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:41 pm UTC

beginnONG:
Enter name

"b". Ok, a good start. Although we usually start names with uppercase letters.
This is going to be autoformatted anyway, I think.
Please continue typing.

I've got a mobile hotspot! Yay!
And some Outside - back later!
Last edited by ggh on Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:57 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Agatha the Awesomeful

addams

Postby addams » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:59 pm UTC

ggh wrote:I've got a mobil hotspot! Yay!
And some Outside - back later!
I can't stop thinking about your shoes.
Spoiler:
No Shirt, No Shoes; No Service.
How in The World You and Laura Mae find Time for us is amazing.
This little Time Waiter is ever so pleased you two, do. Thanks.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

thunk

1190: "Swell Tijd"

Postby thunk » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:13 am UTC

addams wrote:How in The World You and Laura Mae find Time for us is amazing.
This little Time Waiter is ever so pleased you two, do. Thanks.

Time waits for...some xuy probably, but certainly not these two dedicated personages.

Edit: My current form looks rather similar to the guy in BSTA, though with a more boopable snoot. Epsilon.
I guess he isn't feathery either.
troo dat

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”