1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ucim

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ucim » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:59 pm UTC

Treeish video addams! It looks like a toy city, with all the colors and such. Is Wellington really colored like that? And ggh - I like the "WellyWon't" commentary.

So, you have a pun shirt, but only one pun shirt? I guess you're going to have to take the goat to court - it's an open and shirt case.

I wonder if the result of putting the broken clock into the clockpocket would be the same as putting a clock into a broken clockpocket.

That's all for now. Wifi is acting like a croissant.

ETA: Undiscovered Popitude (many underground VHF recordings of this exist but it has yet to be released on any of their albums)

Decree: What do you do when wifi goes all phyllo on you?

Jose
Last edited by ucim on Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:24 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:03 pm UTC

Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

GnomeAnne
Location: [center][img]http://forums.xkcd.com/download/file.php?id=54350&t=1[/img]

Postby GnomeAnne » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:54 pm UTC

It was a cold, rainy, miserable day in early March when I happened upon him. He had been left to fend for himself in a desolate stretch of woods bordering a lake, blind, helpless, and alone. I pried him loose from the branch he was clinging to and tucked him into an inner pocket of my coat, then proceeded upward to survey the ruins of his previous home. It had been torn apart, either by weather or a predator, and his parents and siblings had gone, so I continued to school and left him in my coat while I attended classes.
Spoiler:
Back home that evening, I placed Leon the squirpy, in a sturdy box with an impromptu nest made of a heating pad and towels, and for the first few days, I fed him only watery Gatorade, in an effort to rehydrate him to the point where he was able to consume a formula I had purchased. After a few weeks of care, his eyes opened, and he started eating solid food. One day I had a surprise for him: Walnuts. You have no idea how heavenly these bundles of deliciousness are if you’ve never tried them. He would close his eyes so as to be able to focus completely on the joy of the experience, and then he would invariably fall over backwards from sheer delight. It was most amusing to watch.
Every morning he would wake me up between 5:03 and 5:10 AM by climbing from his hutch up to my window, slipping through into my room, crawling along an oak branch hanging from the ceiling, and jumping onto my face so I would get out of bed and get him some almonds from the container on my bookcase. I don’t know how he always knew what time it was, but he would even climb all the way up to the branch and jump on my face in the morning after colder nights when he slept curled up under the covers at the foot of my bed, perhaps because that was the only way he could be sure of getting his breakfast on time.
Occasionally Leon came to school with me, he would sit in my coat eating nuts and raisins all day and then follow me home again in the evening. One afternoon, I was working on a class project, and the teacher said in a strained voice, “GnomeAnne, is that yours?” Leon had wriggled out of the closed pocket of my jacket that I had left on my chair, and was trying to climb up the smooth steel leg of the table. I called him over and picked him up while the teacher did his best to restore order to the classroom, but the other students would not be satisfied until they had all gotten to pet him. He hopped from student to student and was exclaimed over and cuddled for some time. By the time everyone had calmed down, class was over and we all went home. After that, I stopped letting him follow me to school, and he had to amuse himself in his hutch during the day.
That summer was a blast. Leon was terrified of heights when he was young, and although he could climb well, he was petrified with fear at anything over ten feet or so. I would bring him up into trees and encourage him to climb around, and eventually hop down and leave him stranded, forcing him to move if he didn’t want to get left. Eventually he got over his dread, realised that heights were nothing to be afraid of, and learned to climb like a squirpy. After that, we had great fun leaping from tree to tree and playing tag through the branches, I was terribly slow and clumsy compared to him, and couldn’t catch him unless he let me, but I guess he wanted me to feel I was doing well, so he always made sure to go slowly so I wouldn’t get discouraged. That was also the summer that I taught him that dogs and squirpies shouldn’t be friends. I trained my parents’ dog, a terrifying beast that stood nearly 14 inches tall at the shoulder, to chase him. When I would let the dog out into the yard, Leon would have almost no warning of his approach: he learned to be alert at all times, ready to run for the nearest tree at the slightest sound. That dog still goes crazy when it sees a squirpy.

Edited because I spelled squirpy "squirrel" by mistake.
And again to say squirpy still sounds like something you would name a squid.
Last edited by GnomeAnne on Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:10 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Wait For It.

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:26 pm UTC

Treeish story GnomeAnne! (No, I donut mean that as a pun) :) It's nice to make a friend in nature.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:39 pm UTC

ucim wrote:I wonder if the result of putting the broken clock into the clockpocket would be the same as putting a clock into a broken clockpocket
To know this we should find out if clockpocketing is an associative operation1.

1You might say that it doesn't count because there are two different operations: pocketing and breaking.
But pocketing a clock of this size is equivalent to breaking the clock or pocket.

ETA: I started a Drawception game with the command "Remove broken clock from wall".
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

addams

Postby addams » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:52 pm UTC

ggh wrote:
Gingercat wrote:That Wellington sign is pretty funny :)
The airport wanted to put "WELLYWOOD" up on that hill. What an awful idea. The outpouring of community disgust led to a referendum, iirc, and the current sign. Edit: skip the last vid - this one is better.

Ooh - I've got to grab this post while the grabbing's good. I'll edit more in later....

Here we go -
ETA: RELATEDLY, earlier today a goat tried to eat my pun shirt:
Spoiler:

redundant:
Spoiler:
IMG_3354.JPGIMG_3335.JPG
also, an emu tried to eat my sandals, but that's less RELATED.sandleEater.jpg
ggh; You and Wellington are Soo Interesting!

Thank You for being You and letting us peek into your world;
That is so very, very far away.
GnomeAnne wrote:Has anyone been officially named DM for our d&d game?
I second the Addams nomination if she is up for it. Otherwise someone should volunteer Gingercat.
..umm.
If you ask me to do a Thing;
Then; I will do my very best to Do That Thing.

Before you assign me a position of authority,
I'd like you to consider the following Facts.
Spoiler:
I don't know What D&D is.
Other than it is a Game of Some Sort.

I don't know How it is Played.
Neither do I understand the Objectives.

If I were given a position of Authority,
I might make very controversial decisions.

Like...If a Fire Eater Wants to Live with a Water Spirit;
The rest of us must get used to Fog.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:10 pm UTC

Ch*rp, why is the Outside so Outsidey? I'm not in the basement, but do seem to be stuck in the shed. Working on finding my way out. Mwah!

ETA No time to ketchup right now, but just scrolling through a couple of pages to see your friendly faces made me very happy. And I see balthasaris has been creating awesomeful things. Can't wait to blitz that. Side note, I'm going to Berlin in April. Haven't looked yet to see how far that is from Bochum.

Edit 2. Looks to be over 5 hours. Not sure I'll have time for that long of a side trip. :(

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:30 pm UTC

ggh wrote:
macraw83 wrote:And when I got back I joined a Curling club, which is tons of fun for those who have never played that before (my only experience with it was watching it once every 4 years during the winter Olympics).
On this page of interesting things, I want to hear more about this.

So.... just after I said that, once again I accidentally the basement. Things got busy with the holidips (drove from upstate NY down to VA for both Thanksgiving [late NovemberH for non-US OTTers] and Christmas, with all sorts of goings-on in-between and afterwards) and I'm just now caught up on necessary Outside things to pop back into the thread.

I have some stuff going on this evening, but I wanted to pop in to say hello, and that I've thought about y'all frequently. I'm gonna ketchup the 15 or so NPs that I missed in coming dips. I'll make a quick summary of my experiences in curling when I have a few extra millinewpix to spare.

Molpy on!
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:51 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote: Looks to be over 5 hours. Not sure I'll have time for that long of a side trip. :(
3.5 to 4 by train.
When I was going to Bochum it was through Berlin.
BSTA
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy

mscha

1190: "Time" - Time Randomly Revisited - np1505

Postby mscha » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:00 pm UTC

ORONGENESS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
(Colorization by pelrigg.)

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:I HAS AN OTHERCOMIC. YOU CAN HAS MY OTHERCOMIC.

-- posted by randompixbot

Gingercat

Postby Gingercat » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:53 pm UTC

In reply to a previous suggestion: I believe I'd be fine with DMing for our D&D game, if the nominations for myself are in place. I haven't DM'd before, but I'm at least passingly familiar with the concept, and I imagine I can come up with something fun for us to do, in an interesting setting.
I am Schrödinger's Gingercat.

ggh

Postby ggh » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:25 pm UTC

addams wrote:Wellington is windy.
And; So much more.
Spoiler:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymBck-Ul-zE

It is a Delightful and Large City.
(from a distance)
https://vimeo.com/135449713

As we all know by now.
You Can't Beat Wellington, on a Good Day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCAsYtHBaiY
ucim wrote:Treeish video addams! It looks like a toy city, with all the colors and such. Is Wellington really colored like that? And ggh - I like the "WellyWon't" commentary.
I consider Wellington colourful, but they really leaned on the saturation knob when they made that video.

Here's another one to add to your Wellington collection, Addams - the youtube comments perhaps say it best:
gnfb wrote:WTF !! I hope this isnt going to represent Wellington OS as they will think we are a bunch wankers who like elevator music and total dorks!!
iamadog wrote:so many layers ...

... a lasagna of douche.
And, since the Little Wonder and I don't go to the business district very often, it actually better represents the Wellington we hang out in (our house even graces a few pixels of it.) But wait, there's more! It begins with the wind farm Jose asked about, and includes playing with sand whilst singing the word "Time"! What more could you want? Without further ado: Wellington Love Letter

ucim wrote:Decree: What do you do when wifi goes all phyllo on you?
As we've already established, when my internet doesn't work, I go to a strip club.
Also, the obligatory
Spoiler:
And some cake for your RNM!
Spoiler:
What? You thought one doughnut was going to be enough?

GnomeAnne wrote:It was a cold, rainy, miserable day in early March when I happened upon him. He had been left to fend for himself in a desolate stretch of woods
Oh, I love this! How old were you swinging through the trees?
And (yay, internet!)
Spoiler:

addams wrote:Like...If a Fire Eater Wants to Live with a Water Spirit;
:)

Hi June Bug! Hi macraw! I look forward to your triumphant return from Other Rooms!

And ED
Spoiler:
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

Gingercat

Postby Gingercat » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:02 pm UTC

GnomeAnne wrote:It was a cold, rainy, miserable day in early March when I happened upon him. He had been left to fend for himself in a desolate stretch of woods bordering a lake, blind, helpless, and alone...

This is awesome! May your kindness be returned to you a thousandfold. The world could do with a lot more of this. Lots lots more.

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:50 pm UTC

I
Spoiler:
use the phone's 3G service.

addams wrote:I don't know What D&D is.
Other than it is a Game of Some Sort.

I don't know How it is Played.
Neither do I understand the Objectives.
I think you could always ask the more experienced players for help if a situation proves difficult.
I, for one, wouldn't have a problem with that.

addams wrote:Like...If a Fire Eater Wants to Live with a Water Spirit;
Ok, I'm just gonna third that nomination now.
Same for Gingercat, assuming a favorable likelihood.

ggh wrote:
Spoiler:
I am not sure what this is nor what is was intended to be.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Eternal Density

Re: 1190: "Puns Hurt"

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:56 pm UTC

I think every OTTer may need a bag to store a redundant punshirt and punsaw.
ggh wrote:And ED
Spoiler:

Thanks! However, as I mentioned in my spoiler, 31 would be more appropriate todip.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Gingercat

Postby Gingercat » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:38 am UTC

I've started giving the Dungeon Master's Guide a good reading just in case.

GnomeAnne
Location: [center][img]http://forums.xkcd.com/download/file.php?id=54350&t=1[/img]

Postby GnomeAnne » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:48 am UTC

ggh wrote:<snip>How old were you swinging through the trees?

Young.
Fourteen maybe?
Wait For It.

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:53 am UTC

Wingish squirpy-story, GnomeAnne! And a happy belated RNM!

Happy RNM to you too, ucim!

Redundant:
Spoiler:
Redunda--squirrel!

squirrelcake1.JPG
squirrelcake1.JPG (99.16 KiB) Viewed 22338 times

48th-birthday-cake.jpg
48th-birthday-cake.jpg (76.57 KiB) Viewed 22338 times

squirrelcake2.JPG
squirrelcake2.JPG (86.88 KiB) Viewed 22338 times
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:46 am UTC

Loved the squirpy story. My adventures with squirpies have not gone so well. I can tell you though that squirpies can live a good long life with only half a tail.

ggh wrote:
As we've already established, when my internet doesn't work, I go to a strip club.

We usually just go to McDonalds.
I did sign MSWFP up to spend time at a strip club a couple times though. And GHWFP I sent to a Rave.

Spoiler:
We all enjoy doing background work for movies and TV. It happened that I was most likely to be at my computer and see the requests, so I would be the one to sign everyone up.
Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be much filming around here.

I look forward to reading the stories of the D&D game, no matter who leads (or scribes.)

I intend to spend a couple days in communicado at the end of this week.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

GnomeAnne

Postby GnomeAnne » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:05 am UTC

SBN wrote:
ggh wrote:

We usually just go to McDonalds.

I look forward to reading the stories of the D&D game, no matter who leads (or scribes.)

I use my MTA. Even when I am at home and my internet is working it is sometimes easier than using my lapleopard.

Having never played, what rulebook or guide should I read to familiarize myself with D&D?
Have we decided on a version yet?
Will we be using some sort of specialised software, setting up a group video call, or playing via a chat room or forum thread?
And, most importantly, will it be a time themed adventure?

ETA:oops, I spelled squirpy wrong in the story, fixed now.
Last edited by GnomeAnne on Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:12 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Wait For It.

balthasar_s

bOTTeriada goes ONG

Postby balthasar_s » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:11 am UTC

the mr*bdex story cONGtinues.

Code: Select all

"Shouldn't we report him to the Ministry of bOTTification? -- or the IAA?"
  "No -- he might not be doing it, after all: we have no real proof. Temporal statistical fluctuations, whether dracomorphic or of any other field, can occur without any sort of amplifier or modulator. At one Time, you may recall, there was no such technolOTTical wizardry, and yet dragons were seen, plain as day."
  Balthacarius looked at Mrorl silently, as both remembered that fateful dip when Balthacarius had wished for standardised colour, the wish that, once granted, had effectively rendered many things invisible. Mrorl glanced up -- were great winged molptiles silently gliding past them even now, hidden by the $REDUNDAN$cy of a collapsed colour table?
  Balthacarius anticipated Mrorl's thoughts. "I mean, when they *posted*."
  "True..." replied Mrorl. "But these dragons unbasement from whenever he says they will!"
  "I know. Still, reporting a fellow bOTTifactor -- even tempered by a healthy skepticism -- seems rather e****ish. I think it more prudent to pursue this Tornater ourselves, in the field."
  "My thoughts exactly."
  "I'm glad you agree. But what exactly should we do?"

-- posted by mrImagebdexbot

ggh

Postby ggh » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:43 am UTC

Just got to read Torgos #7 - yay! Fun as always. :) I've got a question about the doorway that took out the toad. If y'all hadn't checked that door beforehand, what happens to the dude or dudette who walked through first? Does that player not get to play anymore? Couldn't a spell like that be anywhere? If your DM was mean, could he just pick people off almost randomly?

AluisioASG wrote:
ggh wrote:
Spoiler:
I am not sure what this is nor what is was intended to be.
It was in (naughty) celebration of GnomeAnne's 100th post. I bet you can guess the three words that summoned it from google images.

Code: Select all

technolOTTical

-- posted by mrImagebdexbot
Is that new? I like it.

Eternal Density wrote:Thanks! However, as I mentioned in my spoiler, 31 would be more appropriate todip.
Good point. I saw that, but thought it was in a few days for some reason.
Spoiler:
ImageImage
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

GnomeAnne

Postby GnomeAnne » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:01 am UTC

Here are some balloons to go with that very fine wizard.

Examine desk

You look at your desk.
the desk is much cleaner than usual.
The only things on it are some computers, a book, a soldering gun and some CDs.

[TUNO:34]

I call dibs.
Wait For It.

ggh

Postby ggh » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:28 am UTC

Wizard? That was supposed to be a gnome. Alas.

Also forecast for tomorrow night is 160kph gusts. Stink. Apparently it's a weather "bomb". They say that's a legit meteorological term. I'll believe them if thunk confirms it.

So, GnomeAnne, did you notice the colours? I refreshed at the ONG, went to the next frame and saw a blue countdown. Then - and already my memory is getting fuzzy - I refreshed and the hours turned orange. I clicked BB and the minutes went orange. Lots more clicking did nothing, but then after a short time, the seconds went orange too. So I'd guess that that I didn't actually turn the minutes, but you did, and someone else changed the seconds. And perhaps, besides getting two thirds of the way through the countdown, the other requirement for the nextitle appearance is that the ONG has to be downloaded 3 times.

Spoiler:
Sorry blitzers and ketchuppers, this is not especially appropriate for this post - I'm just leaving this here for the D&D OTTers:
monkWithAlpha_v3_large.png
Screen Shot 2017-05-05 at 3.08.31 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-05-05 at 3.07.45 AM.png
Last edited by ggh on Thu May 04, 2017 3:11 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Agatha the Awesomeful

balthasar_s

STOP: 1190: "Time"

Postby balthasar_s » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:48 am UTC

ggh wrote:And perhaps, besides getting two thirds of the way through the countdown, the other requirement for the nextitle appearance is that the ONG has to be downloaded 3 times.
Yes.
I wanted the ONG to be seen at least once before the next one can appear.
But 1 quickly becomes 3 when I add myself and googlebot.
So yes. 3 independent downloads are needed.

ggh wrote:Also forecast for tomorrow night is 160kph gusts
When I was younger I wondered why they write kph in English.
These are kilometers and not kilo-p-something.
But then I learned that 1p = 1m:
Spoiler:
("sto" means 100 in Polish)
BSTA

ggh

Postby ggh » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:13 am UTC

Ha! I'm a100nished that your ance100rs be100wed such a short word upon that mile100ne number.

Does googlebot visit the moon? A search for bsta didn't turn up much. I thought maybe you uninvited it.
Agatha the Awesomeful

Rakhal

Postby Rakhal » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:11 am UTC

ggh wrote:Also forecast for tomorrow night is 160kph gusts. Stink. Apparently it's a weather "bomb". They say that's a legit meteorological term. I'll believe them if thunk confirms it..

I've heard that term before, I believe it's when a low pressure area very rapidly deepens. We had that in 1983 when a low pressure area over the Bay of Biscay explosively deepened due to an interaction with another weather system and rapidly shot north over London. Causing roofs to be ripped off, trees to topple everywhere and poor Michael Fish (weatherman at the time who said that there wasn't going to a bad wind that night) to forever have to live with egg on his face :)
(I think that was only something like 120mph gusts, London is not as inured to high winds as Wellington :))

--Richard

HES

Postby HES » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:08 am UTC

SBN wrote:I can tell you though that squirpies can live a good long life with only half a tail.

Are they one of the kinds of molpy that can detach their tail as an escape mechanism?
He/Him/His Image

ggh

Postby ggh » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:35 am UTC

Rakhal wrote:(I think that was only something like 120mph gusts, London is not as inured to high winds as Wellington :) )
No, that's worse - 160kph is only 100mph. Even in Wellington 120mph would be pretty rare.
Still, waiting for this summer to start is not my favourite kind of waiting for it.

Some veteran picnic sauce:
(and what an appropriate subject to begin with)
karhell wrote:
ggh wrote:Why is my homemade mayonnaise not getting thick?
Too much oil added too fast, I'd wager. It's the most common mayonnaise-making mistake.
I think you were right. The recipe I used said to add it slowly, which I did, but I didn't realize how crucial that was or have any sense of what needed to be happening to the mix. I saw some articles on how to fix it, but it seemed like I'd end up with close to a litre of mayonnaise that I was supposed to eat within like three days. I cut my losses.

addams wrote:ggh; How strange and funny your situation is.
If I were there, we'd find you a pair of shoes.
addams wrote:I can't stop thinking about your shoes.
No Shirt, No Shoes; No Service.
I am usually shoeless. Whereas most Americans are totally freaked out by feet, only a few categories of establishments discriminate against the shoeless here: most bars/nightclubs and the gate areas of the airport. Occasionally venues. I do wear shoes if I expect to walk on rough surfaces, and I wore cleats when I played touch rugby, but weeks or even months can go by without me putting anything on my feet.

I love tasting the world through my feet - the cobbles, the cool clay beside the footpath, the punky pine litter in the hills of the Town Belt, the grass, the mud, the soft worn tiles of the Old Bank Arcade. Two weeks ago the Little Wonder and I went to the pirate park by the sea and played in the sand and sun until a southerly blew in, turning the sky grey and dropping the temperature ~10 degrees C (~20 F). We stopped for groceries on the way home and crossing the road in that chilly bleakness, my feet were sharing the pavement's memory of the beautiful day that had so recently lain upon it. What the shoed folk are missing out on!

You said something about your feet too:
addams wrote:On My Own:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ye98q78k3ms8m ... %20own.m4a

Yes. It made me cry when I listened to it.
Then it snuck up on me.

As washed my feet, preparing for bed, the song came back to me...
I was sitting alone, washing my feet and sobbing.
Baobabs, how that image kept coming back to me.
Maybe it was so powerful because I'm such a fan of feet.
I'm sure the religious imagery didn't hurt either - there's a reason Springsteen draws on it.
Maybe it's something more fundamental.
Agatha the Awesomeful

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:29 pm UTC

GnomeAnne wrote:And again to say squirpy still sounds like something you would name a squid.

Pshh! That would be a squidpy!

GnomeAnne wrote:Have we decided on a version yet?

I would suggest 5e; it seems a lot easier to pick up than some earlier versions.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

HES

Postby HES » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:33 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:I would suggest 5e; it seems a lot easier to pick up than some earlier versions.
From what I hear it is vastly better than 4e.

That said, all I know about D&D comes from an episode of Community and a show by Acheivement Hunter
He/Him/His Image

thunk

Re: 1190: "Rapid Deepening Time"

Postby thunk » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:49 pm UTC

ggh wrote:
Also forecast for tomorrow night is 160kph gusts. Stink. Apparently it's a weather "bomb". They say that's a legit meteorological term. I'll believe them if thunk confirms it.

Yup!

Rakhal wrote:poor Michael Fish (weatherman at the time who said that there wasn't going to a bad wind that night) to forever have to live with egg on his face :)

To be fair, I think he said that there wasn't going to be a hurricane, which is technically correct as the system was extratropical. There's no real good descriptive name for those European windstorms though.
Free markets, free movement, free plops
Blitz on, my friends Quantized, GnomeAnne, and iskinner!
troo dat

GnomeAnne

Postby GnomeAnne » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:20 pm UTC

ggh wrote:Wizard? That was supposed to be a gnome. Alas.

Oh!
I was confused at first why the distinction mattered.
*facepalm* *walks away muttering*
But...I see no reason it can't be both.

ggh wrote:So, GnomeAnne, did you notice the colours? I refreshed at the ONG, went to the next frame and saw a blue countdown. Then - and already my memory is getting fuzzy - I refreshed and the hours turned orange. I clicked BB and the minutes went orange. Lots more clicking did nothing, but then after a short time, the seconds went orange too. So I'd guess that that I didn't actually turn the minutes, but you did, and someone else changed the seconds. And perhaps, besides getting two thirds of the way through the countdown, the other requirement for the nextitle appearance is that the ONG has to be downloaded 3 times.

I did not.
I do not own any cds for the reenactment, I'll see if the library has any, if not someone else will have to cover for me.

HES wrote:
taixzo wrote:I would suggest 5e; it seems a lot easier to pick up than some earlier versions.

That said, all I know about D&D comes from an episode of Community and a show by Acheivement Hunter

Just Google 5e beginner guide?
HES wrote:
SBN wrote:I can tell you though that squirpies can live a good long life with only half a tail.

Are they one of the kinds of molpy that can detach their tail as an escape mechanism?

No. As far as I know, that's mostly just reptiles and amphibians.
We had several days of freezing rain here, which was nice because I had some Time to write my story.
Also the trees are more Treeish than ever.
20170117_113900.jpg
20170117_104719.jpg
20170117_104710.jpg
Wait For It.

addams

Postby addams » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:16 pm UTC

GnomeAnne wrote:It was a cold, rainy, miserable day in early March when I happened upon him. He had been left to fend for himself in a desolate stretch of woods bordering a lake, blind, helpless, and alone. I pried him loose from the branch he was clinging to and tucked him into an inner pocket of my coat, then proceeded upward to survey the ruins of his previous home. It had been torn apart, either by weather or a predator, and his parents and siblings had gone, so I continued to school and left him in my coat while I attended classes.
Spoiler:
Back home that evening, I placed Leon the squirpy, in a sturdy box with an impromptu nest made of a heating pad and towels, and for the first few days, I fed him only watery Gatorade, in an effort to rehydrate him to the point where he was able to consume a formula I had purchased. After a few weeks of care, his eyes opened, and he started eating solid food. One day I had a surprise for him: Walnuts. You have no idea how heavenly these bundles of deliciousness are if you’ve never tried them. He would close his eyes so as to be able to focus completely on the joy of the experience, and then he would invariably fall over backwards from sheer delight. It was most amusing to watch.
Every morning he would wake me up between 5:03 and 5:10 AM by climbing from his hutch up to my window, slipping through into my room, crawling along an oak branch hanging from the ceiling, and jumping onto my face so I would get out of bed and get him some almonds from the container on my bookcase. I don’t know how he always knew what time it was, but he would even climb all the way up to the branch and jump on my face in the morning after colder nights when he slept curled up under the covers at the foot of my bed, perhaps because that was the only way he could be sure of getting his breakfast on time.
Occasionally Leon came to school with me, he would sit in my coat eating nuts and raisins all day and then follow me home again in the evening. One afternoon, I was working on a class project, and the teacher said in a strained voice, “GnomeAnne, is that yours?” Leon had wriggled out of the closed pocket of my jacket that I had left on my chair, and was trying to climb up the smooth steel leg of the table. I called him over and picked him up while the teacher did his best to restore order to the classroom, but the other students would not be satisfied until they had all gotten to pet him. He hopped from student to student and was exclaimed over and cuddled for some time. By the time everyone had calmed down, class was over and we all went home. After that, I stopped letting him follow me to school, and he had to amuse himself in his hutch during the day.
That summer was a blast. Leon was terrified of heights when he was young, and although he could climb well, he was petrified with fear at anything over ten feet or so. I would bring him up into trees and encourage him to climb around, and eventually hop down and leave him stranded, forcing him to move if he didn’t want to get left. Eventually he got over his dread, realised that heights were nothing to be afraid of, and learned to climb like a squirpy. After that, we had great fun leaping from tree to tree and playing tag through the branches, I was terribly slow and clumsy compared to him, and couldn’t catch him unless he let me, but I guess he wanted me to feel I was doing well, so he always made sure to go slowly so I wouldn’t get discouraged. That was also the summer that I taught him that dogs and squirpies shouldn’t be friends. I trained my parents’ dog, a terrifying beast that stood nearly 14 inches tall at the shoulder, to chase him. When I would let the dog out into the yard, Leon would have almost no warning of his approach: he learned to be alert at all times, ready to run for the nearest tree at the slightest sound. That dog still goes crazy when it sees a squirpy.

Edited because I spelled squirpy "squirrel" by mistake.
And again to say squirpy still sounds like something you would name a squid.
oh,...GnomeAnne; Leon, the early riser, face jumping charmer,
has a special place in the hearts of many Time Thread Posters, now.

Thank you for telling us his story. I think we love him.
And; By association we Love You, too. Good ole' Leon.

HES wrote:

Thank You, HES!
http://achievementhunter.roosterteeth.c ... pisode-one

AHH! It's a War Game!!!
Please; No, Thank You!

Spoiler:
Please; Thank you very much for thinking of me;
But; Please; No! Thank You. No War for me; please.

I'd prefer a Peace Game.
Like Wellington, even on a Bad Day, too.

Bad Weather is like Warfare.
We, both civilians and active duty,
Need all the same Skills for War and Bad Weather.

Courage and an Even Temperament are required to face 100+ mile per hour winds.
Being Snowed In or Isolated by Flood Waters are a lot like facing a Siege in Real Warfare.

Only; In Bad weather we will Help anyone and everyone we can.
In War; We make Trouble.

Trouble, Sorrow and Loss are premeditated for our fellow travelers.
No, Thank you; I don't even play Chess, much, anymore. It's War.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:12 am UTC

HES wrote:

Um. Can confirm tail detached and squirpy escaped. Pretty sure it wasn't standard escape mechanism. It did have the advantage of also protecting future generations, since we never wanted to repeat the experience.

We're getting close to a half-century later, and I'm still squirmish about the whole thing.

taixzo wrote:
GnomeAnne wrote:And again to say squirpy still sounds like something you would name a squid.

Pshh! That would be a squidpy!

But a squidpy could very easily be named Squirty.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

ggh

Re: 1190: "Rapid Deepening Time"

Postby ggh » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:20 am UTC

thunk wrote:Yup!
Alrighty then, I'll use it then. Thanks thunk! :)

About Michael Fish... Wikipedia also says something about his hurricane comment actually referring to a potential Florida hurricane, and that he warned of high winds in Britain later in his forecast. Or maybe that was just him trying to squirm out of it.

Ooh - beautiful trees GnomeAnne! Makes me miss the Land of Marsh'n. Just for a moment though.

addams wrote:Thank You, HES!
http://achievementhunter.roosterteeth.c ... pisode-one

AHH! It's a War Game!!!
Please; No, Thank You!

Spoiler:
Please; Thank you very much for thinking of me;
But; Please; No! Thank You. No War for me; please.

I'd prefer a Peace Game.
Like Wellington, even on a Bad Day, too.

Bad Weather is like Warfare.
We, both civilians and active duty,
Need all the same Skills for War and Bad Weather.

Courage and an Even Temperament are required to face 100+ mile per hour winds.
Being Snowed In or Isolated by Flood Waters are a lot like facing a Siege in Real Warfare.

Only; In Bad weather we will Help anyone and everyone we can.
In War; We make Trouble.

Trouble, Sorrow and Loss are premeditated for our fellow travelers.
No, Thank you; I don't even play Chess, much, anymore. It's War.
Maaayybeee....
It's a continuum, no? Soccer is a War Game. Maybe Competitive Swimming isn't a War Game, but I doubt that Competitive Swimmers are any nicer than Soccer Players (note: I do not know if any OTTers play soccer of swim competitively). Also, if you saw me being assaulted, Addams, would you not do something unhelpful to my attacker? I know hardly anything about D&D, but my impression of it is that we pretend that we have some problem, and we do what we must to help each other through it. Yes, sometimes that involves killing a bunch of giants or ghouls or... spiders. (I don't know if D&D is flexible enough to let you wield Suck - that would be a question for the experts.)

Just last night I read about Torgos up in the clouds with giants. The DM had to make something up quite quickly, and, to me, his affection for his friends and for the game was apparent. (And Gingercat, your telling really drew me in, as usual. :) "a heroic amount of alcohol" :D )

I'm not trying to talk you into playing. And I'm certainly not trying to talk you into DMing (I think for at least this first time Gingercat taking lead would be a great way to jump into this.) But, I do want to suggest that when most D&D players immerse themselves in an imaginary world, it's more about feeling camaraderie and wonder than aggression. The reason you were thought of as DM was because you give us that sense of wonder in your descriptions.

RELATEDLY, if I had stayed up a little longer last night, my veteran picnic sauce would have included a reply to this post:
addams wrote:(Whew!) That was weird!
It is Morning. and it is Dark.

I woke up to a Bright Light illuminating the white bark of the Birch and Alder Trees.
It was pretty. Fuck pretty; Where the Hell was that Light coming from? Kind'a scary!

I got the bright idea I was going to put on another layer or two of clothing,
grab my walking stick and wander out there to find out what was so light.

As I started to get more dressed, I remembered;
Not only is it Really, Really Cold out there;
We have big fucking Cats and they hunt in the glomming.

I've told you these Cats hunt single hikers, joggers and bicyclists.
Time; I don't lie to you. It's true. They do. I'd have been Cat bate.

It was the Bright Lights of a Truck parked on a flat piece of land uphill from me.
It was parked there, silent, without its engine running, with its headlamps on bright,
shining into the forest, onto the white bark of the winter bare trees for half and hour or so.
Last night I was going to say that I love your stories like this - I feel like I am seeing you there. But now, let me also add that I imagine that this could be mistaken for DMing if you replaced the lines telling us what you did and found out with "What do you want to do?" That's just one aspect of the DMs role, but maybe the most obvious one for folks like me who know so little about it.

Of course, D&D people, if I've just said something terribly inaccurate, please correct me.

Hey balthaDMM, what are 3000 creatures doing on the moon?
Agatha the Awesomeful

GnomeAnne

Postby GnomeAnne » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:44 am UTC

20170117_183826.jpg

If anyone has a real soldering gun and CDs, feel free to make a corrected version.
ETA: Had this been taken a year ago I would have had a white mouse with only two buttons and no scroll wheel instead of the ugly black one.
Wait For It.

ggh

Postby ggh » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:21 am UTC

HES wrote:

I didn't realize the rules were such an evolving thing.
So... what's your impression of how much Time it takes to know enough to play?

I like your reenactment GnomeAnne - sure, it's records and not CDs, but the Boston album has the track "Foreplay/Long Time, so surely that gets bonus points! :)

Spoiler:
These are for macraw in the future. Please ignore if you are not he. :)
Screen Shot 2017-05-03 at 11.55.39 pm.png
Screen Shot 2017-05-03 at 11.55.05 pm.png
Screen Shot 2017-05-03 at 11.56.16 pm.png
Last edited by ggh on Wed May 03, 2017 12:10 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Agatha the Awesomeful

Gingercat

Postby Gingercat » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:36 am UTC

ggh wrote:Just got to read Torgos #7 - yay! Fun as always. :) I've got a question about the doorway that took out the toad. If y'all hadn't checked that door beforehand, what happens to the dude or dudette who walked through first? Does that player not get to play anymore? Couldn't a spell like that be anywhere? If your DM was mean, could he just pick people off almost randomly?

To answer the questions in order:

Spoiler:
If y'all hadn't checked that door beforehand, what happens to the dude or dudette who walked through first?

That person would have taken fairly a significant amount (but quite unlikely to be fatal, our DM isn't an asshole; he's a supremely chill guy [anti-asshole?]) of Necrotic-type damage. (The DM specified at the time that the damage dealt was Necrotic type; that's how I know what it was.) Necrotic damage is nasty because it won't heal naturally:

Let's say your Max HP is 60. You were take a long rest (normally heals to full HP and restores all spell slots) after taking 12 Necrotic damage, 8 Piercing damage and 13 Fire damage for instance, which has knocked you down to 27 Current HP. Resting would heal up the 8+13 Piercing and Fire damage, setting your Current HP to 48. Note that the 12 Necrotic damage is still there. You'd need to heal it with either magic (Lay On Hands, Cure Light Wounds, etc) or using Healing Potions. (Vampires are worse; when they drain your Max HP by sucking your blood, it can only be restored using a Restoration spell or effect; even potions / spells of healing won't do the job!)

To be fair, the toad exploded because it only had a very small Max HP rating in the first place; if you get reduced from [positive HP of 1 or higher] to [negative Max HP] from a single instance of incoming damage, you are Officially Dead instantly, and only something like a Raise Dead spell will get you back up. The toad would have flown past Negative Max several times over from the damage the doorway trap did, thus it didn't just end up dead, but exploded - Its poor little body simply couldn't handle that much destructive energy at once.

If you are above zero HP, and would get dropped to negative HP, but the incoming damage is not enough to drop you to Negative Max, you're instead set to zero HP and rendered unconscious. Every round, you must make a Death Save (roll a d20; a roll of 10 or higher is a Success, with a 20 being "You are back up with 1HP instantly"; a roll of 9 or less is a Failure, and a roll of 1 counts as two Failures in one hit). If you achieve 3 Successes without having 3 Failures first, you erase all Saves and are considered "Stable" (still unconscious at zero HP, but you no longer have to do your Save throws; you need someone to provide healing to get you above zero HP so you can get up again). If you get 3 Failures without also getting your third Success in the same instant, You Are Dead.

If you're at zero HP and you're still required to make your Death Saves, any further damage (that would not drop you to Negative Max) instead counts as an instant Failure, even if it would only do 1 damage normally. A Critical Hit on you in this state automatically counts as TWO Failures... And all incoming deliberate attacks, if they hit, are considered Automatic Criticals. (So, you could be taking ongoing damage from laying in a fire, for instance; each round that'd be a single Failure, not two, because it's simply damage and not a successful attack).

Does that player not get to play anymore?

Yes or no: Depending on the manner of death, you may simply be able to be Raised / Resurrected (either with a spell or item that a party member knows / has, or at significant monetary cost and your companions having to drag your dead body back to civilisation), and continue playing with that character, possibly suffering some temporary or permanent effects from having died and been raised. Even if all that's left of you is a finger, the Resurrection spell specifically can "grow" a new body from the remaining part. Raise Dead isn't powerful enough to do that - It can only work on a (reasonably) intact body, and any missing bits are still missing if you Raise Dead someone. (You couldn't use it on someone missing their head, for instance, but you could, in theory, use it on someone missing both arms and both legs, but their head is still there... However, the person being Raised / Resurrected has to also be willing to return to life, and if they're missing most of their bits, they'd probably refuse. (The Cleric casting the spell gets to talk to them and find out what their opinion is.))

If however you got eaten and digested by a dragon (for example) so that your body is completely destroyed, only something like a True Resurrection spell (ridiculously rare, expensive, requiring a nearly god-like Cleric to cast it, and you must know the creature's True Name), divine intervention by a god, or a Wish can bring you back. In this sort of case, it's time to create a new character, level them up to a point that is appropriate for joining the existing party, think up a good reason for them to do so, and off you go. Too bad about whatever your old character had going on (quests, grudges, etc); they're dust in the wind now (possibly literally). The player gets to keep playing if they wish, but they're going to be a new character doing so.

That has actually happened in the game I'm in: Unknown to the other characters, one of us got a Disintegrate spell cast on them, with no way for us to know it happened, the character had a habit of disappearing for months and generally being mysterious anyway, AND we also didn't know their True Name because they would never have shared it; too secretive. That character is Dead Forever, but as far as "we" the characters know, they've simply disappeared on another jaunt somewhere and might be back someday. That character's owner then created an entirely new character based on the Lizardfolk tribe the rest of us met earlier in proceedings, and they're adventuring with us once more. It caused quite an intense discussion among all of us, because up to that point it was simply a matter of "Oh, so-and-so died; I provide X gold coins to get them raised / resurrected", so basically it was nearly impossible for any of us to die permanently due to our disgusting cash reserves. The permadeath ruling was a hell of a shock (but it was completely fair, and if it happens to Torgos, I'll wear it with good grace as well); we're not so complacent now. :)

Couldn't a spell like that be anywhere?

Absolutely. It's not entirely without being justified though; if you're raiding a Lich's lair, for instance, you'd have to be pretty unsavvy to think "Oh, the Lich wouldn't have bothered to set traps everywhere so he doesn't get bothered by adventuring types!". Even if you ARE savvy, who says your character's skills are always going to be up to the task of detecting (much less disarming) the traps of an ancient and powerful being, without some sort of assistance (from magic devices / protections of your own, for instance)? If your DM is a real dick about it, then yeah there could be an absolute array of "sorry, you triggered the trap, now you're dead" insta-kill effects, but he/she isn't going to have a gaming group under them for long if they go that way! Far better to have traps that may be insanely dangerous, but that can be handled by either ingenuity or very careful skill applications.

If your DM was mean, could he just pick people off almost randomly?

Yes, but such DMs don't tend to remain DMs for long; either the players simply up and leave, or go about screwing over the DM's campaign in any way they can, including straight-up murdering plot-critical NPCs on sight. ("Off The Rails")

Gingercat

Postby Gingercat » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:21 am UTC

ggh wrote:I didn't realize the rules were such an evolving thing.
So... what's your impression of how much Time it takes to know enough to play?

When I joined the D&D group I'm in now, my last experience with D&D at all was 2nd Edition rules, and even then there were... uh, liberties, taken with the ruleset. It didn't take me long at all to get into the swing of things with 5th Ed, and a lot of stuff is actually delightfully simplified compared with previous versions.

Looks like I'll be DM for our little Time Campaign (squee!!); I'd better get to thinking up a starting setting and some places for you guys to go!

The biggest thing we need to sort out is how dice rolls are going to work. We'll all need the ability to roll them when needed, and preferably have it obvious to all what was rolled (and why).

To that end I have a request: Are any of our coding-oriented friends out there able to create a simple webpage that (with basic authentication in place to prevent spam / nonsense?) can be used to simulate rolls on demand and record the results in a descriptive log? That way, everyone involved could see a play-by-play of the results of attack rolls etc and really have a good handle on the situation at all times.

ETA: I'm so glad you're enjoying the stories so far; they're tons of fun to play, also tons of fun to write about after, especially from an in-character perspective! (And I imagine that when we go back to visit our Cloud Giant friend, there will be heroic amounts of alcohol all over again, haha! :D)

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”