1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

GnomeAnne
Location: [center][img]http://forums.xkcd.com/download/file.php?id=54350&t=1[/img]

SCREAMING TREBUCAT

Postby GnomeAnne » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:04 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:I like the little quotelinky thing (↫) in your post, Aluisio. Is that done via script, or manually?

script

Oh, pope.
Uh...consult automome to determine your post title, or make up something silly for the title.
Last edited by GnomeAnne on Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:16 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Wait For It.

balthasar_s

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby balthasar_s » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:36 am UTC

ggh wrote:Hahaha! Hilarious seeing the shoe on the other foot!
?

The beanie I received i Germany in 2015.
I lost it. And I found itn. But it was not the same any more.

I most likely lost it on Thursday on the way home from the train station.
Yesterday I couldn't find it.
Today morning I went to the train and I noticed it.
But it was destroyed. Probably by a dog.
Last edited by balthasar_s on Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:14 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
BFTF replay
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

Gingercat

Postby Gingercat » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:09 am UTC

Hmm.
I am Schrödinger's Gingercat.

Rakhal

Postby Rakhal » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:09 am UTC

lmjb: Wow, I'm very envious. I'd love to do a road-trip like that. And yes, when you get a chance, pictures please :)

I'm too late for the last page pope post. And I had a cute story about decimalisation to tell :)

Magic: I used to play that a lot when I was younger, and I still have a large collection (about 60,000 cards I think). But my cards are all really old and I imagine that Magic decks are a lot different today. At the time I played it was all things like dual lands, moxes, lotus, timewalk, juzam djinns e.t.c. I think I still have 5 boxes of unopened boosters from 3rd Edition in the loft (Revised it was called at the time)

And yes, now I've been told about the image of Cueball powering giant Sand Engine with Megan sitting on top it's hard to unsee it :)

--Rakhal

112358Daniel

Postby 112358Daniel » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:52 am UTC

I found a technique that works! Some fibonacci numbers work, but most don't. I'm busy trying lots of them, but it seems that I can only do I per day (or at least per hour, I didn't spend more than that).
One today and one the day before yesterday (i had no wifi yesterday).
Anyway, the parallel dimension had the madness:
before -> past-when
after -> future-when
now -> present-when
I don't remember anything else.

Edit: There was about 2650 pages, but I couldn't discover why (didn't have the time to blitz).
Fibonacci's Oracle of Unrelenting Insanity
http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/Quotes

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:22 am UTC

! ! !
I knew this reminds me of something.
Now I know.
It reminds me of the beginnings leading to the discovering of bftf, bsta, botteriada...

Will we get another story-shaped-thing?
That would be really nice.
BFTF replay
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy

GnomeAnne
Location: [center][img]http://forums.xkcd.com/download/file.php?id=54350&t=1[/img]

Story shaped things.

Postby GnomeAnne » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:47 pm UTC

New OtherComic

balthasar_s wrote:Will we get another story-shaped-thing?
That would be really nice

Yes, That would be fun.
Wait For It.

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:42 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:In a similar vein to Twitch Plays Pokemon, a new thing is happening on reddit: /r/place. People place single pixels on a canvas; there is a ten-minute timer before you can place another. Various factions and alliances have sprung up.
Not strictly RELATED but I think you guys might find it interesting.
Didn't see that until yesterday morning. Joined in with a group developing Pokémon sprites, and successfully helped defend against some Twitch streamer that was trolling for views by covering up the sprites with ugly yellow and red signs. Other than that I've been fairly impressed by most of the things I've seen pop up.

The internet is an epsilon and occasionally awesomeful place.

Also, I'd like to point out that 2 yips ago Reddit created "r/thebutton", which was a button and a timer that was posted, and the timer started counting down from 60 seconds. Each account that existed prior to April 1 that yip was able to click the button once, which reset the timer to 60 seconds. The timer didn't run out until sometime in June, after over one million clicks. This has the potential to see similar amounts of longevity.

Rakhal wrote:lmjb: Wow, I'm very envious. I'd love to do a road-trip like that. And yes, when you get a chance, pictures please :)

I'm too late for the last page pope post. And I had a cute story about decimalisation to tell :)

Magic: I used to play that a lot when I was younger, and I still have a large collection (about 60,000 cards I think). But my cards are all really old and I imagine that Magic decks are a lot different today. At the time I played it was all things like dual lands, moxes, lotus, timewalk, juzam djinns e.t.c. I think I still have 5 boxes of unopened boosters from 3rd Edition in the loft (Revised it was called at the time)

And yes, now I've been told about the image of Cueball powering giant Sand Engine with Megan sitting on top it's hard to unsee it :)

--Rakhal
60,000? I thought I was in bad shape, but mine is probably only between 10k and 20k right now...

And you're right, current decks are vastly different than in decayips past, as power creep has been slowly setting in. Not nearly as bad as with Pokémon cards though, where it seems like everything is twice as powerful and twice as tough.
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

ggh

Re: 1190: "Tie me"

Postby ggh » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:58 pm UTC

balthasar_s wrote:
ggh wrote:Hahaha! Hilarious seeing the shoe on the other foot!
?
It's an idiom in English.
The situation, and the characters, seemed somehow familiar, no?

Put toolbox into your inventory or however it's called

The toolbox IS an inventory.

After single frame of TUNO = 44, it seemed like Time to look at your algorithm again, and really, I should have gone back sooner. Here's my current guess:

Code: Select all

TUNO = trunc (3600 hrs / frames in reserve)
This would suggest that you had 97 frames loaded up when BSTA launched, and that's consistent with BSTA 66, the last spoiled frame (no one even blinked at my prediction - they're on to me...) being available before the 20 that were loaded on just before launch, with a small cushion.

Am I close?
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

balthasar_s

Re: 1190: "Tie me"

Postby balthasar_s » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:40 pm UTC

ggh wrote:Am I close?
Yes.
3600 - correct
97 - no, 98. Frame 98 is on a different piece of paper than 97 and frames start from 0.

As you can see, the times are constantly increasing.
This is because in recent times there is a lot things happening and I cust can't find time to draw some more frames in peace.

For previous decree.
I was very young.
For some reason I asked my dad what will be if there is the end of world.
He quickly answered that not even the smell of socks will remain, in that case.
BFTF replay

GnomeAnne

It's the end of the world add we know it...

Postby GnomeAnne » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:33 pm UTC

balthasar_s wrote:For previous decree.
I was very young.
For some reason I asked my dad what will be if there is the end of world.
He quickly answered that not even the smell of socks will remain, in that case.

I suppose that's true...

He sounds like a very entertaining person.
Wait For It.

Link

Re: 1190: "Time": NO MTA IN THE HILLS CAN ONG ME!

Postby Link » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:04 pm UTC

addams wrote:oh...That is sweet, too.
One of these days there may be Little Links.
Then, you will be so very Brave.

Heh, the odds of there being any Little Links any Time soon are about as good as the odds of said Little Links forming spontaneously out of the vacuum (I wonder what the loop order would be for calculating that probability). But I'm sure there's at least one universe out there where that is the case, if that's any comfort. :)

ETA: For the people who want to follow this NP's decree and have GreaseMonkey or similar: check out the automomeify user script. :D

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:32 pm UTC

Link wrote:Heh, the odds of there being any Little Links any Time soon are about as good as the odds of said Little Links forming spontaneously out of the vacuum
Would that make them "missing links"?

AluisioASG wrote:Um, is the face in the background intentional? (Try looking at a distance.)
Sweet!

balthasar_s wrote:The beanie I received i Germany in 2015.
I also lost a beanie, but I haven't found it yet. I don't think I'm feeding dogs with it though. It's here somewhere. FSVO "somewhere". Fortunately it's getting warmer out, and as soon as I don't need it any more, it will surface.

Oh, and new other other comic!

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:37 pm UTC

macraw83 wrote:Also, I'd like to point out that 2 yips ago Reddit created "r/thebutton", which was a button and a timer that was posted, and the timer started counting down from 60 seconds. Each account that existed prior to April 1 that yip was able to click the button once, which reset the timer to 60 seconds. The timer didn't run out until sometime in June, after over one million clicks. This has the potential to see similar amounts of longevity.

Aand it's over already.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:25 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:
macraw83 wrote:Also, I'd like to point out that 2 yips ago Reddit created "r/thebutton", which was a button and a timer that was posted, and the timer started counting down from 60 seconds. Each account that existed prior to April 1 that yip was able to click the button once, which reset the timer to 60 seconds. The timer didn't run out until sometime in June, after over one million clicks. This has the potential to see similar amounts of longevity.

Aand it's over already.

Reddit has little patience for entropy. They certainly aren't skilled in the art of waiting for it.
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

mscha

1190: "Time" - Time Revisited - np353

Postby mscha » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:10 pm UTC

STRUNGLY...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
Replay Time live here!

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:TELL ME, BEANETTE... WHAT GOOD IS A THWAPSTICK... IF YOU'RE UNABLE TO MOLP AUF?

-- posted by oldpixbot

Eternal Density

ONLY BAD WOLPIES EAT HATS

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:33 pm UTC

I usually remember to put something silly in the subject.
Rakhal wrote:lmjb: Wow, I'm very envious. I'd love to do a road-trip like that. And yes, when you get a chance, pictures please :)

--Rakhal

You might just happen to have some rather valuable cards!
(I haven't actually played myself except a little bit digitally, but I've watched a lot thanks mostly to LRR.)
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:40 pm UTC

Rakhal wrote:And yes, now I've been told about the image of Cueball powering giant Sand Engine with Megan sitting on top it's hard to unsee it :)

It's always fun to take newpix out of context. With the UNG posted above, for example, I can see Cueball passionately making out with the Sandcastle. I am, of course, a die-hard Cuegan shipper, but maybe Sandball has been the one true relationship all along.

GnomeAnne wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:I like the little quotelinky thing (↫) in your post, Aluisio. Is that done via script, or manually?

script

Thanks! I installed it and then uninstalled it about two nopix later. I like the quotearrow feature but don't like the way that the script changes the behaviors that happen when you click the post link. One of the things that bugs me is that it alters the link itself in format from
viewtopic.php?p=3305503#p3305503
to
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043&start=1840#p3305503
meaning that the second link will try to send you to the newpage first and then try and find the post, which is problematic because posts can shift newpages. (Technically the second link will send you to the forum then topic then newpage then post, but the first couple generally don't move.)

balthasar_s wrote:The beanie I received i Germany in 2015.

Endish! Poor beanielessthasar. Image

Image Schizoblitz Report 6 .Image

Newpage 50/2577

Spoiler:
At this point in the thread there is an ongoing off-topic discussion, the first major one, about pronouns and gender. It's not near flamewar level. Perhaps it's most correctly identified as "angst" by dp2 on NP 46. Near-simultaneously there is also a wingish little quotetree going on involving the sharing of song lyrics related to Time and sandcastles.On NP 47, "newpix" gets coined by TheMulattoMaker as laments the ever-expanding ketchup caused by the OTT's posting rate.

The castleframes (with no Megan or Cueball in them) begin the era of meticulous examination, where newpix are compared down to the pixel. Unsurprisingly, mscha is rapidly on top of this trend. And then the infamous transition between castleframes happens, featuring a single darkening pixel. Firstposts appear from all corners as everymolpy tries to point it out at once. And riverssong immortalizes it in slogan form. In this five-newpage stretch, riverish though it may be, I can see the OTT blossoming.

Nazdar wrote:
Mr. Munroe wrote:“When I was a kid, I was had an irrationally powerful fear of tsunamis (Etymology-Man would suggest “cymophobia”). I swam in the ocean a lot when I was very young, so waves were a big part of my world. I would fret about tsunamis whenever I was near the coast, and to this day I have occasional nightmares about a wave coming out of nowhere and sweeping me away.”
Source: Blag, Jan 2012

The sand castle is doomed.

Tsunami, civilization-ending-floodwave-from-the-breach-of-Gibraltar. Imagination can always make your nightmares worse.

QuOTTations

There is a one pixel difference at 550, 312
-smith61, NP 49

Yo dawg, I heard you like waiting, so I put a waiting in your wait so you can wait while you wait.
-Wraithlord, NP 50

Redundant:
Spoiler:

bar006.png
bar006.png (264 Bytes) Viewed 11567 times

redundant292.png
redundant292.png (82.87 KiB) Viewed 11567 times
Edit to number schizoblitzreport.
Last edited by BlitzGirl on Mon May 01, 2017 10:18 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Eternal Density

NINETY ELVES, AKA THE ELVEN NINETY

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:40 pm UTC

I happened across an app backup file on my old phone called "xkcd Time Live Wallpaper_1.11.apk". Does anyone still need it?
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

GnomeAnne

Timmy's in the well!

Postby GnomeAnne » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:50 pm UTC

Wildhound posted a link to it here
Wait For It.

BlitzGirl

BEANIES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKING BEANIES!

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:50 am UTC

The adventures of Rosetta-in-a-castle continue, now with more castling than ever before:

Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ggh

Re: 1190: "Timm-eeee!"

Postby ggh » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:13 am UTC

I'm really enjoying these :)
The upper right bit is Batman, no?

Confession: I'm only half-OTTing at the moment. Hoping to have more Time after the hopping of the rabtor.
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

balthasar_s

tm

Postby balthasar_s » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:43 am UTC

As lmjb already said,
we managed to meet in Dresden.

So cool,
to enter a train and go meet some otters.
Just like that!

Had to get up early (3:40AM)
Left home at 4:15. Went to the city by bike.
Streets completely empty.

I put on small headphones and turn on the radio.
I'm very curious what the radio plays at such early time.
The whole audition between 4 and 5 AM was completely filled with puns.

After 1h 15min I was at the train station.
Left my bike at FFS.
I'm lucky that my FFS is almost next door to the main tain station.
5:40 at the station.
10 minutes later train was already there.

Train leaves at 6:15 and at 10 I'm in Dresden. (I almost left my sweater in train)
But we actually meet at about 45 minutes later. (the tradition must continue...)
So good to see them again after over 2 years.

After doing some chaotic Stadtrundfahrt we finally get to somewhere.
Many beautiful old buildings. Sometimes I don't know where to look because there is something everywhere.
Interesting displays. Not enough time to see everything.

Molpish to be able to sit together and talk.
I showed some things that I brought with me.
But I wanted to show and tell much more!

We had 8 hours (10 - 18).
Only 8 hours.

18:11 I go back by train.
At each station the train becomes more and more crowded.
At 22:02 the train arrives.

Surprise.
My uncle takes me and my bike home, in his car.

That was a good day.
Last edited by balthasar_s on Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:50 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
BFTF replay

BlitzGirl

LOOK AT THIS MOLPYGRAPH; EVERY TIME I DO IT MAKES ME LAUGH...

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:50 am UTC

What a wowterful Outside adventure! Thanks for sharing with us thread-based OTTers.

balthasar_s wrote:I'm very curious what the radio plays at such early time.
The whole audition between 4 and 5 AM was completely filled with puns.

Image *twitches uncomfortably*

ggh wrote:I'm really enjoying these :)
The upper right bit is Batman, no?

Thanks! Yeah, I usually place a Batman in all my Drawception panels, but I didn't want to waste brain power on hiding him differently in all of the Rosetta panels, so I decided on the first drawing to just put him in the same spot in the window repeatedly. Fun fact: I'm pretty sure I have now memorized the window design of the Beanish castle, even if I can't faithfully replicate its geometry freehand.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

HES

Re: tm

Postby HES » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:03 am UTC

balthasar_s wrote:Left my bike at FFS.
I'm lucky that my FFS is almost next door to the main tain station.

I have a similar situation. It's very useful as - especially in this country - I would not want to leave my bike at a train station.
He/Him/His Image

ggh

Postby ggh » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:26 am UTC

That day sounds awesomeful, balthasar!
*wants*

balthasar_s wrote:97 - no, 98. Frame 98 is on a different piece of paper than 97 and frames start from 0.

As you can see, the times are constantly increasing.
This is because in recent times there is a lot things happening and I cust can't find time to draw some more frames in peace.
Ah, yes, 98. I did go back to Frame 0, I just forgot to go back before it.
but with 80 frames ready to go, it's pretty treeish that we haven't seen even half the frames you have already made.

Somewhere between the onging of BSTA 40 and BSTA 43, you seem to have added between one and three frames, and then after 43 was onged you added another 12-14 (for a total of 15). Care to confirm what the actual numbers were?

BlitzGirl wrote:Image *twitches uncomfortably*

*looks at clock*
Was it the twitching that woke you up?
Agatha the Awesomeful

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:31 am UTC

ggh wrote:Somewhere between the onging of BSTA 40 and BSTA 43, you seem to have added between one and three frames, and then after 43 was onged you added another 12-14 (for a total of 15). Care to confirm what the actual numbers were?
Sorry, but no.
The ong happened while I was in the middle of making and uploading new frames. So I don't know exactly how many frames were uploaded at ongtime.
BFTF replay

ggh

Re: 1190: Time and tide wait for no penguin

Postby ggh » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:06 pm UTC

That's an even better answer, because it doesn't give me information with negative value. :)

ETA:
ucim wrote:Oh, and new other other comic!

Fractories are back - yay!
Agatha the Awesomeful

112358Daniel

Postby 112358Daniel » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:54 pm UTC

I have the feeling no one believes me...
Well, no one believes the people how tell the truth. Think of Cassandra in Greek Mythology. I mean, it probably won't hurt anyone...
Anyway, I'm going on vacation for a few days.

I hope every one will have repented by then.
Spoiler:
Just Kidding

Spoiler:
...I think

Sciscitor

Re: 1190: Time and tide wait for no penguin

Postby Sciscitor » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:19 pm UTC

ggh wrote:Fractories are back - yay!

Interesting... and I thought I was the only one to have a bot watching for that. It alerted me two or three days ago.

Should have known my fellow OTTers better.
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

BlitzGirl

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE SEA

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:55 pm UTC

ggh wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Image *twitches uncomfortably*

*looks at clock*
Was it the twitching that woke you up?

Not particularly; I'm just thoroughly yappocized this wip.

RecursiUNG coming soon to a Sandcastle near you:
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:10 pm UTC

If I understand correctly, you have some numbers confirmed.
A good thing to do is to check how local/universal this is.
Try in a different browser.
A different computer.
From a different network.
Make other people from other places on the world access the same URLs.
And compare the results.

I made a present for one of my friends who left my FFS and likes mountain bikes very much:
Spoiler:

balthasar_s wrote:
ggh wrote:
balthasar_s wrote:Recently, I got a "great idea". (not very related)
I started making progress in this.
However, recently I stopped. Something was wrong and I didn't know what.
It kind of looked that when reading a variable it had a different value than when it was written (luckily, that was not the case).
I don't have the possibility for normal debugging.
So I made it output interesting values on one of its output pins:
Spoiler:
(In this example the value is 0x0718.)
I found out that my problem was caused by two small mistakes:
Spoiler:

#define CC8  97
#define CD8  98
#define DD8  99
#define DE8 100
#define EE8 110
#define FF8 102
and

unsigned char ready;

if (ready==0x01){
         ready |= 0x8000;

Redundant:
Spoiler:
dbgv.jpg
112358Daniel wrote:Daniel
góral.jpg
BFTF replay

GnomeAnne

Addams has a treeish brainslug.

Postby GnomeAnne » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:41 pm UTC

I don't know enough to see what is wrong with the second one, or I am not looking hard enough.
Should it have something else instead of 'ready' here?

ready |= 0x8000;
Can you explain like I'm five?

The quotes page only covers the first few hundred NPs.
This is not because there are no good quotes after that, there are lots. Have people grown weary of adding to it, but someone re blitzing the thread could start again? Was it decided that later posts are unworthy, or that having that page would lessen the appeal of blitzing? Or is it that the sheer number of memorable quotes in 2500+ pages of posts by such creative people is simply too much for such a list?
If it were to cover the whole thread, it would necessarily have to be split into multiple pages, like the OTTification list.
I have almost reached page 278 in my quasi reblitz, should I begin at that point collecting the best quotes to add to the list, or leave them shrouded in the mists of Time?

Edited for that decree someone made.
Last edited by GnomeAnne on Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:49 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Wait For It.

Eternal Density

404 FOOL NOT FOUND

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:48 pm UTC

#### pokeball99
- Move changelog to its own file

#### Pikrass
- Typos

#### pickten
- Fix infinite backwards movement in TaT pix (bug #1471)
- Molpy.subtractObjects was not pure (bug #1481)

#### EPSIL0N
- dragon equipment reward quick fix

####coderpatsy
- Reset currentLog button when clearing logs
- Glass Blower description spacing

####ED
- Fix NPBs mustard total castles built (bug #1477) - Mustard cleanup now happens after adding mustard
- Fix Temporal Duplication description wrong when locked (bug #1473)
- Updated changelog

https://www.reddit.com/r/SandcastleBuil ... not_found/

BlitzGirl wrote:Not particularly; I'm just thoroughly yappocized this wip.

Daylight Savings Time ended a few dips ago here so I'm all over the place (and time).
Molpy Up OTTers!!

-
Well spotted Batman, ggh!

Gingercat

Re: 404 FOOL NOT FOUND

Postby Gingercat » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:55 pm UTC

GnomeAnne wrote:I have almost reached page 278 in my quasi reblitz, should I begin at that point collecting the best quotes to add to the list, or leave them shrouded in the mists of Time?

I feel that there is value in this :)

Eternal Density wrote:https://www.reddit.com/r/SandcastleBuilder/comments/63hv22/404_fool_not_found/

How do we actually go about upgrading? (Or downgrading, should it become necessary?)

mscha

1190: "Time" - Time Revisited - np381

Postby mscha » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:10 am UTC

UNGRAILMENT...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
Replay Time live here!

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:OH MY RANDALL, GOATEE, YOU CAN'T JUST ASK SOMEONE WHY THEY'RE BUFFYHATTED!

-- posted by oldpixbot

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:45 am UTC

Am I already following the decree by using the Redundant Post Enumerator?

GnomeAnne wrote:
I don't know enough to see what is wrong with the second one, or I am not looking hard enough.
Should it have something else instead of 'ready' here?

ready |= 0x8000;
Can you explain like I'm five?
I think 0x8000 is out of range for an unsigned char; Wolfram Alpha tells me it'd have been truncated… back to 0x01.

BlitzGirl wrote:
I like the little quotelinky thing (↫) in your post, Aluisio. Is that done via script, or manually?
I'm using this:

// ==UserScript==
// @name           XKCD Post Quote Link
// @namespace      com.scorcheduniverse
// @description    Automatically turns a quoted post into a quoted link
// @include        http://forums.xkcd.com/*
// @include        http://echochamber.me/*
// @include        http://fora.xkcd.com/*
// ==/UserScript==
var readyStateCheckInterval = setInterval(function () {
        if (document.readyState === "complete") {
            clearInterval(readyStateCheckInterval);

linksToJumps();
            addQuotingLinks();
            createQuoteOverrideScript();
            makeQuoteLinksPrettier();
        }
}, 10);

function linksToJumps() {
    var links = document.links;
    for (var i = 0; i < links.length; i++) {
        var postIdMatchInPostLink = links[i].href.match(/\?p=(\d*)#\d*/i);
        if (postIdMatchInPostLink) {
            var postName = "p" + postIdMatchInPostLink[1];
            if (document.getElementsByName(postName).length > 0 ||
                document.getElementById(postName)) {
                links[i].href = "#" + postName;
            }
        }
    }
}

function addQuotingLinks() {
    var postId = window.location.href.match(/quote&f=\d*&p=(\d*)/i);
    var reply = document.getElementsByName("message")[0];
    if (postId && reply) {
        var poster = reply.value.match(/\[quote="(?!\[url=)(.*?)"\]/i);
        if (postId[1] && poster[1]) {
            var postLink = '[url=http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?p=' + postId[1] + '#p' + postId[1] + ']↫[/url]';
            var newString = '[quote="' + poster[1] + '"]' + postLink + '\n';
            reply.value = reply.value.replace(poster[0], newString);
        }
    }
}

function createQuoteOverrideScript() {
    var quoteScript = document.createElement("script");
    quoteScript.textContent = addquote.toString();
    document.body.appendChild(quoteScript);
}

function makeQuoteLinksPrettier() {
    //Transforms any quote arrow link into a link on the quote text
    Array.from(document.querySelectorAll("blockquote > div > cite + a")).forEach(function (aElement) {
        if (aElement.text === "↶") {
            var citeElement = aElement.parentElement.children[0];
            aElement.parentElement.querySelector("cite + a + br").remove();
            aElement.remove();
            aElement.text = citeElement.textContent;
            citeElement.textContent = "";
            citeElement.appendChild(aElement);
        }
    });
}

/// **********************************************************************************
/// Below replicated from PHPBB javascript with minor modification to add link
/// **********************************************************************************
function addquote(post_id, username, l_wrote) {
    var message_name = 'message_' + post_id;
    var theSelection = '';
    var divarea = false;

if (l_wrote === undefined) {
        // Backwards compatibility
        l_wrote = 'wrote';
    }

if (document.all) {
        divarea = document.all[message_name];
    } else {
        divarea = document.getElementById(message_name);
    }

// Get text selection - not only the post content :(
    // IE9 must use the document.selection method but has the *.getSelection so we just force no IE
    if (window.getSelection && !is_ie && !window.opera) {
        theSelection = window.getSelection().toString();
    } else if (document.getSelection && !is_ie) {
        theSelection = document.getSelection();
    } else if (document.selection) {
        theSelection = document.selection.createRange().text;
    }

if (theSelection === '' || typeof theSelection === 'undefined' || theSelection == null) {
        if (divarea.innerHTML) {
            theSelection = divarea.innerHTML.replace(/<br>/ig, '\n');
            theSelection = theSelection.replace(/<br\/>/ig, '\n');
            theSelection = theSelection.replace(/&lt\;/ig, '<');
            theSelection = theSelection.replace(/&gt\;/ig, '>');
            theSelection = theSelection.replace(/&amp\;/ig, '&');
            theSelection = theSelection.replace(/&nbsp\;/ig, ' ');
        } else if (document.all) {
            theSelection = divarea.innerText;
        } else if (divarea.textContent) {
            theSelection = divarea.textContent;
        } else if (divarea.firstChild.nodeValue) {
            theSelection = divarea.firstChild.nodeValue;
        }
    }

if (theSelection) {
        if (bbcodeEnabled) {
            var postLink = '[url=http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?p=' + post_id + '#p' + post_id + ']↶[/url]';
            var newText = '[quote="' + username + '"]' + postLink + '\n' + theSelection + '[/quote]';

insert_text(newText);

//insert_text('[quote="' + username + '"]' + theSelection + '[/quote]');
        } else {
            insert_text(username + ' ' + l_wrote + ':' + '\n');
            var lines = split_lines(theSelection);
            for (i = 0; i < lines.length; i++) {
                insert_text('> ' + lines[i] + '\n');
            }
        }
    }

return;
};
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:41 am UTC

Gingercat wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:https://www.reddit.com/r/SandcastleBuilder/comments/63hv22/404_fool_not_found/

How do we actually go about upgrading? (Or downgrading, should it become necessary?)
The game is on a webpage. If you have it open, you refresh the page. If you want to downgrade... well you could get the old version from GitHub and run it locally.

Gingercat

Postby Gingercat » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:05 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:The game is on a webpage. If you have it open, you refresh the page.

Yes, you'd think so. Completely closing and reopening it didn't do the job either...

It seems that clearing the browser cache (but leaving cookies) did the job, Firefox felt that the "old" version it had cached was fine, apparently :?

112358Daniel

Postby 112358Daniel » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:10 am UTC

balthasar_s wrote:112358,
If I understand correctly, you have some numbers confirmed.
A good thing to do is to check how local/universal this is.
Try in a different browser.
A different computer.
From a different network.
Make other people from other places on the world access the same URLs.
And compare the results.

-A different browser doesn't seem to work (I only have Chrome and Internet Explorer)
-Other computers don't work
-A different network works
-I'm on vacation in England and other computers don't work. I haven't tested in countries other than England and France

Conclusion: I have a small warphole/temporal rift localized in my Chrome application.
Would these be the signs of a quantum computer / could I make a quantum computer with this?

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”