1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ZoomanSP » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:54 pm UTC

New OtherComic.

ETA:
Decree: Continue marveling at the AdventONGs.
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:34 pm UTC

New OtherComic fixed:

RSIR
Spoiler:
1962.png
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

ucim

Postby ucim » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:08 pm UTC

NoMouse wrote:13274-13291 The Zanclean Generation

::azule::

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

Sustainabilizer

Re: 1190: "Time Dilation"

Postby Sustainabilizer » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:40 pm UTC

H e l l o   f r o m   t h e   p a s t !   T h i s   i s   S u s t a i n a b i l i z e r   f r o m   h i s   B l i t z R o c k e t ,   d r i f t i n g   t h r o u g h   O u t s i d e   S p a c e .   M y   s p e e d   i s   a   l a r g e   f r a c t i o n   o f   t h e   s p e e d   o f   l i g h t ,   t h a t ' s   w h y   m y   w r i t i n g   l o o k s   v e r y   s l o w   f r o m   y o u r   p o i n t   o f   v i e w .   ( A n d   v i c e   v e r s a .   W a n t   t o   k n o w   w h y ?   S e e   b e l o w . )

T o   e a s e   y o u r   r e a d i n g ,   I   a m   s e n d i n g   t h e   r e s t   o f   t h i s   p o s t   i n   a   s p e d - u p   s i g n a l .   C l i c k   h e r e   t o   d e c o d e .   ( W a r n i n g :   S C I E N C E   i n s i d e ! )
Spoiler:
What is going on here? Well, as I wrote above, I am on a longish trip through Outside Space. I just safely passed by a black hole which reminded me that I haven't yet posted here about relativity, and how it is RELATED to Time. So here we go.

While I am diverging from Earth at high speed, signals from the Earth take longer and longer to reach me. This means in particular that OTT posts reach me at a lower frequency than I'm accustomed to. I can conclude that your Time in the OTT is running slower than my Time the BlitzRocket.

At the same Time, you observe that my posting rate in the OTT is lower than usual. So you can conclude that my Time in the BlitzRocket is running slower than your Time in the OTT.

But who's right?

The naive answer would be that both partys are wrong, since Time is running at the same speed everywhere. But it isn't. The correct answer, which can be verified by high-precision experiments, is: We're all right! :shock:

As long as we don't meet again in the same Present, this is not a problem. We both live in the past of the other party. Since we can communicate only at the speed of light¹, there is no way to influence the past of the other party.

¹: Except by using Time Transponders, TARDISes, DeLoreans, or other advanced devices approved by the CFRT, but then the CFRT takes care of the danger of paradoxes.

That's Relativity. ;)

But what happens when we do meet in the same Present again? I'll tell you in a few seconds … Wait for it …
Confused about the OTT? See the Wiki!
Want more 1190: Time? Check out TimeAfterTime!
There is a MIRROR of the OTT, just in case.
Thanks for participating in my Scientific Conference and OTTer Meetup!
Image Help addams!

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:50 pm UTC

Good to see Sustainabilizer here again.

Even if it's not easy reading text separated by bricks...

Redundant
Spoiler:
brickrocket.PNG

Sustainabilizer wrote:I'll tell you in a few seconds … Wait for it …
Few seconds in our or your time?
BFTF replay
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

Rosewinsall

Postby Rosewinsall » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:09 am UTC

Looks like I need to do a lot of ketchuping on this.

addams

Postby addams » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:10 am UTC

Waiting....
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:33 am UTC

NoMouse wrote:New OtherComic fixed:

RSIR
Spoiler:
1962.png

I saw this and got all excited because I thought it was the original, and I thought GLR had included the Zanclean part. :) Steakish OTTIfication, and treeish to see you, No Mouse.

And wow! A timey wimey visit from Sustainabilizer! Awesomeful to see you again, even if you aren't in our present present. Presently.

And hiya, Rosewinsall!! :D

So why don't The Advent''s Time posts show up when you Search User''s Posts? How is that possible? I'm telling ya, there's something mysterious going on.

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

GnomeAnne
Location: [center][img]http://forums.xkcd.com/download/file.php?id=54350&t=1[/img]

Postby GnomeAnne » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:59 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:So why don't The Advent's Time posts show up when you Search User's Posts? How is that possible? I'm telling ya, there's something mysterious going on.

There has always been a delay between when a post is submitted and when it is included in the "search user's posts" list, but this seems to be something different because there were posts from [Heretical]Feb 22nd[/outsidishness] by the evenip of the 22nd when the timrippled "1: Beach" post first seemed to appear, but neither the original of that post from the next day, nor any of his subsequent posts have appeared there yet.
It's possible that the first five posts, being approved by a moderator, are automatically included with no delay.
It's also possible that The Advent is Lord Randall himself.
Wait For It.

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:44 am UTC

It says he/she has 13 posts, but you can only see 5... and then there are 10 posts in the “most active forum”... and 8 in most active topic...
But that makes sense, 8/10 in the forum xkcd comics thread are posts in time...

I guess just can’t see the time thread posts in the search? Hmm, it adds up, and those posts appear to be the only one’s we can’t see...
I wonder why
My meta for future reference
Spoiler:
cemper93 wrote:Your meta appears to be "just writes whatever is on his mind and doesn't remember what happened more than five hours ago"

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:46 am UTC

Huh...
https://xkcd.com/time/
Is an actually link, one that redirects to
https://xkcd.com/1190/
None of the other comic names work like that, just time...
Did we already know this?
My meta for future reference
Spoiler:
cemper93 wrote:Your meta appears to be "just writes whatever is on his mind and doesn't remember what happened more than five hours ago"

GnomeAnne
Location: [center][img]http://forums.xkcd.com/download/file.php?id=54350&t=1[/img]

Postby GnomeAnne » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:00 am UTC

I think this is the first of many Tims that was noticed, but I myself either forgot or never knew.
That's pretty cool. Too bad you can't go to http://fora.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=time to get here.
Wait For It.

mrob27

1190: Time: GOAT HARD 2: GOAT HARDER

Postby mrob27 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:23 am UTC

Those who see the "brick" containing "3000" probably also see bricks in my posts.
  For example, there is probably a "brick" at the beginning of this line. If so, then perhaps you can't read Morobu's Japanese stuff, like in this post?
  For @balthasar_s I believe you're using Debian 7. According to the Debian Wheezy packages search I think you could do "apt-get install fonts-takao" and then reboot (or maybe just restart your Firefox or Chromium) and the bricks would be blank spaces as intended.

Search for posts by @The Advent: Use Advanced Search, put "The Advent" in the "Search for author" field, and in the options select forum "Individual XKCD Comic Threads". Results.

I was thinking OTT might be excluded from normal search because it's so huge (11 million words, 113430 of which are distinct) that nearly any search will find something, and honestly the odds are less than 50-50 that it's relevant to what the searcher was interested in. But no, all 54 instances of awfulsome are reported by a simple search for "awfulsome". So, who knows?

mrob27 Image
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

The Advent

Postby The Advent » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:01 am UTC

9: Creatures

Spoiler:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mr Cogito and the Little Creature
by Zbigniew Herbert

It’s unclear whether anyone knows its personal zoological name, so small is it, so low, near the very bottom, beyond the naked eye. It is something that wavers between existence and absence, insignificant, fleeting as a scrap of print, a particle, the paring of a diacritical mark, the chip of a comma, a speck of lead from the printer’s cabinet.

I open my winter reading and there it is crouching down on the page, a Very Little Creature, motionless at first, but soon it is off on its way, sniffing between the lines, and then it lurches ahead like a horse from the stable, forward at the speed of the Very Little Creature’s light (the creature is blind).

This season (it may be the last season of my life) — everything was as before, the Very Little Creature amused me and warmed my black heart, when one day I decided to give the book to friends in London. I made a parcel of it and sent it off. With the Creature inside.

What does it do during the long sea voyage? It has plenty to read; it doesn’t eat very much; but what does it think of me, its old companion who proved so treacherous?

09Creatures.png

Eternal Density

Re: 1190: "Time to read poetry"

Postby Eternal Density » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:55 am UTC

Hi molpies, you look treeish todip!
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:39 am UTC

If GLR was going to do a sequel or homage or whatever to Time, the 5th year Timeiversary wouldn't be a bad time to do it... Maybe The Advent is counting to something...

(Or maybe not but it's fun to speculate!)
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Seeking Rainbows
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:54 pm UTC

Peaceful Whale wrote:Huh...
https://xkcd.com/time/
Is an actually link, one that redirects to
https://xkcd.com/1190/
None of the other comic names work like that, just time...
Did we already know this?

https://xkcd.com/now/ does the same for 1335, but it is a rarely used feature.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

The Advent

Postby The Advent » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:00 am UTC

10: Baobabs

Spoiler:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Baobab
by Edward Hujsak

Ancient one, you have watched
over a hundred generations of my kind.
Your ugliness is softened only
by bird nests that hang like pendants,
and greening when the spring rains come.

You are an oasis in the desert.
You pocket water in hidden cavities
for thirsty travelers, who make
lemonade of the powder in your seeds
and drink it to calm their ailments.

You are the eternal shelter to all creatures.
This morning school children gathered
in your shade for lessons.
Tonight a leopard will stretch
across your loins and sleep.

10Baobabs.png

GnomeAnne

Postby GnomeAnne » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:01 am UTC

That's an awesomeful picture.
These Advent poemposts just keep getting better.
Wait For It.

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:48 am UTC

Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:38 am UTC

GnomeAnne wrote:That's an awesomeful picture.
These Advent poemposts just keep getting better.

They do indeed.
Thinking of those dealing with more weather than they want. Stay safe everyone.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

balthasar_s

Re: 1190: "Time"; ENOUGH OF THIS BLITZPOSTING. TIME TO MOLPY UP AND START DEMUSTARDING BOTCASTLES!

Postby balthasar_s » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:50 pm UTC

tHE bicyclesonthemoon.info server is running again.
Somehow it got disconnected from power.
It happened on Friday when i was in FFS already.
I couldn't fix it now because I spent the weekend not here.
BFTF replay
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Re: 1190: Time Does changing the subject line many times confuse the system?

Postby lmjb1964 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:59 pm UTC

When I followed the Results link that mrob posted, I noticed that none of The Advent's posts have a subject line. That's why they don't show up under Time, but shouldn't they still show up under "Search User's Posts"? That link only shows 5 posts, all in other threads.

Haven't had the Tim to read the latest poems yet. I like the idea that it is an Advent calendar for the Timiversary.

ETA: OK, that didn't take much Tim at all, and the were awesomeful. The second one even had a raptorcat!
Edit2. I'm erasing my subject line to see what happens to my post. And I almost replied to my post instead of editing, but I actually caught myself in Time. :)
Edit 3. Ok, I took out the subject line, and searched user's posts, and there was my subject-line-less post at the top of the list. So there's something else going on.

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

The Advent

Postby The Advent » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:11 am UTC

11: Waterfall

Spoiler:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Evening Waterfall
by Carl Sandburg

What was the name you called me?—
And why did you go so soon?

The crows lift their caw on the wind,
And the wind changed and was lonely.

The warblers cry their sleepy-songs
Across the valley gloaming,
Across the cattle-horns of early stars.

Feathers and people in the crotch of a treetop
Throw an evening waterfall of sleepy-songs.

What was the name you called me?—
And why did you go so soon?

11Waterfall.png

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:28 am UTC

That poem is very Time--chirpies, raptors, star's in the treetops...

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

mrob27

1190: Time: QUOTH THE OTTER, "BTTBAA"

Postby mrob27 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:38 am UTC

Examine room

There is a desk.
A lot of stuff on it.

Keyboard, screens, floppy disks, cassettes, tape player, some boxes, some other things...

The room also has doors.

Cassettes! (Do not eat.)
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

addams

Postby addams » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:42 am UTC

Off Topic Mt Day's Debriefing
Spoiler:
The sky was cloudless.
The Ocean was still enough to walk on.

The light Blue Sky met the Brilliant Blue Ocean.
It was breath taking, going on forever out to sea.

The River was down hundreds of feet in its Canyon.
Running White Water and Turquoise Blue, as it should.

Up on the Mountain the road was dry and and firm.
A Summer's work of repair obvious in clean concrete.

Yet...Beside the road and on surfaces higher up the clean white Snow lingers.
It lingers as a reminder of our good weather fortune. Last year was worse.

Down the Coast, Up the Canyon and over the Mountain.
My dangerous yet required trek for Medical Care.

The whole Team has been successful.
Now...I Wait. With no end in sight.

I'm Tired.
Good Night, Time.
Thank You for the Poetry Advent.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:52 am UTC

If anyone's interested in some new Yappo music... if you enjoyed "We Love the Thread of Time", it's a similar kinda style. Just a bit of music I made for a play. Or to be more precise, a series of short plays all set on the same park bench throughout one day.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

ucim

Postby ucim » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:31 am UTC

Listening now. How in Randall's name did we let this Mighty Troubador slip away for fourteen thousand yips?

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

The Advent

Postby The Advent » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:00 am UTC

12: Butterfly

Spoiler:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Four Haiku
by Kris Hemensley

(i)

(for Robert Grey)

caged by dappled light
unlike Rilke’s beast    content
this side of heaven

(ii)

perennial green
ephemeral butterfly
what time’s time enough?

(iii)

red roof in full leaf
sail now grey threatening sky
cry blue land ahoy!

(iv)

in this green waiting
birds trill leaves quiver then time
interjects its train!

12Butterfly.png

GnomeAnne

Postby GnomeAnne » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:00 pm UTC

I listened to Yappo's wingish soundtrack and am yet again amazed by his talent and skill.
Wait For It.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:53 pm UTC

Wow! Reminds me of some of the soundtracks to the Wintergatan videos.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:21 pm UTC

ucim wrote:Listening now. How in Randall's name did we let this Mighty Troubador slip away for fourteen thousand yips?

Jose

Baobabs, was it really that long? All this OTTing has clearly made me TOO good at Waiting For It.
GnomeAnne wrote:I listened to Yappo's wingish soundtrack and am yet again amazed by his talent and skill.

Thanks!
taixzo wrote:Wow! Reminds me of some of the soundtracks to the Wintergatan videos.

Haha you're the second person to mention that, StormAngel said that too (on soundcloud, not seen him round these parts in a long time)... And you're both right, Wintergatan were a major influence indeed!

HES

Postby HES » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:19 pm UTC

Not that I wasn't already, but this Wintergatan talk is making me eager to give it a listen once I escape the clutches of this FFS mustard...
He/Him/His Image

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:46 pm UTC

I like that there are quite a few Wintergatan fans among us! I suppose a band who play cool instrumental music with unusual and/or homemade instruments would appeal to the same sort of geeky people as a very slowly updating comic :P Yeah for the main theme of the soundtrack I was particularly trying to go for a similar vibe to their song Starmachine2000 (but without any synths, just the acoustic instruments.)

GnomeAnne

Postby GnomeAnne » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:53 pm UTC

Marble machine was the only Wintergatan song I'd heard, and I didn't know who made it. I have now listened to a bunch of their music and it's all pretty cool.
Wait For It.

mscha

1190: "Time" - Time Randomly Revisited - np2930

Postby mscha » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:00 pm UTC

RUMORMONGERONGS...
Spoiler:
RUN.
(Colorization by ucim.)

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:A DIP, A DIP, MY KINGDOM FOR A DIP

-- posted by randompixbot

ColletArrow

Postby ColletArrow » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:26 am UTC

Well, this can't be such a bad place after all if we're all Wintergatan fans :P :lol:. I've been following Martin's YouTube for a while now, since the first marble machine. He's currently building a new, better marble machine to take on tour, and it's pretty interesting to see it evolve. It's even more awesome now I know people here enjoy the music too.

The music Yappobiscuits wrote is excellent too. I must remember to listen to it all again later.

addams

Postby addams » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:24 am UTC

Thank You for the Music, Yappo.
It is so light hearted and easy.

Of course, I had to look up the machine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvUU8joBb1Q

I'd rather listen to you whistle.
Do people skip away whistling?

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:40 am UTC

Weather report, thinking of addams: Snow. Followed by more snow. Tapering off to snow. Thick, heavy, good packing snow, great for making snow-molpies.

But a ch*rpin' pain to shovel.

Getting close to a third of a cue; I'm taking it a couple of snake-widths at a time.

I think it's just water mixed with hydroxilic acid; no evidence of babies, cancer, semen, coffee, or salt.

Oh, and taking another look at the Wintergatan marble machine video, this other video also showed up. In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is.

Edit: there's a real one.

Jose

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”