1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

cmyk
Location: Somewhere beyond the sands of time... In other words, Detroit MI.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby cmyk » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:27 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
cmyk wrote:
<snip>

:lol:

Very, very nice!!! +(sideways-eight) internets to you, Good Sir!

but, um, shouldn't Megan be there also, astride the horse and wearing her animal skins?

I was certainly thinking about it. Might need to update it...

ETA: Fixed!
Last edited by cmyk on Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:34 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit." —Doc Brown

"I... can't describe it. This... means something... this... is important." –Roy Neary

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:31 pm UTC

SPACKlick wrote:By the castles I swear R is not a vowel modifier

Now you lost me. I'm no full-grown heavy linguistic trained academic. And English is (you MAY have guessed it by now, heh) not my native language.
So - please - instead of throwing egdy things at one another, explain.

Triphthongs are, as I understand, three vowels chained together in one syllable. It is a matter of sound, not a matter of whats written - Queanbeyan, Australia, would not count. Bureau would not qualify for the same reason, then. This would imply that the world may have just two vowels, and as long as three can be heared, it may be a triphthong, anyway. Did I get this right?

Quiet swears wound quaints.

What would be wrong with them?

I am not looking for a fight, but for enlightment.
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:33 pm UTC

Quest progress: 382 out of 409 pages.
The Little French Girl Period. NP 802.

Such wonderful happenings in only a few short newpages! Okay, first, LaPetite showed up in the One True Comic, and apparently some of you thought it was me:
Spoiler:
tman2nd wrote:
Caswallon wrote:<snip>
The only thing we need now, is for Blitzgirl to show up in the comic, and then everything would be complete!

That would be amazing. :D

It truly would be!
mscha wrote:
XonqNopp wrote:Oh no, I think I figured it out... It's BlitzGirl!!!!!! :shock:

That'd be awesome!
Image Image
Could be...

I must say, there is a certain resemblance - especially since I began wearing the beret. :D
ggh wrote:Of course!
If a tree falls in an uninhabited forest.... the sandcastles need BlitzGirl to witness them!

And indeed I am! Although the observation is happening from the same dimension as all of you. I do believe I would have noticed had I wandered into the One True Comic inadvertently, but you never know. Perhaps it will happen sometime in my future!

Then apparently some posters of pages 380-382 got together some time in the future and decided to throw a PASTPARTY! Aw, you're all so nice! Here is the full party experience I enjoyed:
Spoiler:
tman2nd wrote:EDIT: Oh, hi there Blitzgirl. Make yourself comfortable. We have a seat saved for you. :)

lmjb1964 wrote:Edited: Oh, uh, hello, Blitzgirl! Well, this is an awkward time for you to stop by. Heh heh, pay no attention to that friendly little squabble. Why don't you just have seat in that chair that tman2nd pulled up for you, and have a nice glass of nut punch.

Jafloi wrote:[Edit:] Eating some future cake from some post down... ...mmhm...Tasty! :D

Latent22 wrote:
Kazza3 wrote:
Caswallon wrote:The only thing we need now, is for Blitzgirl to show up in the comic, and then everything would be complete!

Oh my... Welcome, Blitzgirl!

I would like to formally welcome BlitzGirl into the OTC!!!!

To welcome you here I've baked a cake (well actually I just stole it)

Here have some. *Latent22 hands BlitzGirl some cake*

I hope you appreciate all the work we had to go though. Blackmailing Randall into adding you in wasn't easy. By the way Randall your puppy is in a box on the corner of 5th and madison.
manvandmaan wrote:It's a little French girl?

Or... No... It couldn't be! :o It's BlitzGirl!

WELCOME TO THE OTC!

Just in case it is just a french girl and not BlitzGirl I name her LaPetite!
Edit: sorry missed the e.
Edit2: her fathers last name is Mort by the way but she has taken her mothers name instead and this must never be mentioned again!

Angelastic wrote:Edit: Hang on! Yeah, you're right, it's BlitzGirl! How come I didn't see the similarity before? She's travelled in time and now she's travelled into another dimension(ality?) Better get out my party noisemaker thingy! *phwooooooooooob*

ggh wrote:Edit: isn't a hundred of us online at this time a bit high? I guess not, when the word got out that BlitzGirl had made her appearance!
BlitzGirl! Over here! Try the pavlova I made you!

ggh wrote:Cups! I bet we could do that now - Thanks!
Gonna go coma after this epic party for BlitzGirl - tomorrow: cups!

RobIrr wrote:Munches on cake... Yummy! Thanks, BlitzGirl.

manvandmaan wrote:And also, thanks for the delicious cake!

Thank you, everyone! I had such a wonderful Time! Stolen Sandcastle cake is the best!
*puts a piece for jovialbard in a small tupperware, puts tupperware into the vest-of-many-pockets*
Oh, and so as not to mess with the space-Time continuum:
Thanks for the Cake!!!

I'm not sure if this was originally part of the party, but IT SHOULD BE! -
Dracomax wrote:Oh, and I finished my onerous task. After many timeframes of waiting, watching and listening, I've come to a conclusion. Anyone encoding their text will henceforth and retroactively be dipped chocolate Syrup, and covered in shredded Licorice. THUS SPEAKS THE INQUISITION.

Some lovely sigcouragement:
Spoiler:
Caswallon wrote:Congratulations Blitzgirl! I knew you could do it! (What, am I being a little preemptive?)

I certainly hope you're not very preemptive! :D

XonqNopp wrote:BlitzSupporter :)

Oh my God Randall, what a mess we have done in here... Good luck BlitzGirl...

Oh dear - thank you!

manvandmaan wrote:You're getting close, BlitzGirl! The Croissants will be oven-fresh when you arrive!
But if you want those treats, tread the thread with care, cause tears may cause tears!

Oven-fresh! So many scrumptious baked goods!

Oh, and I finally figured out what those tears were all about:
Ebonite wrote:Wouldn't it be interesting if, for example, in the next time interval, while we're all paying attention to what this new arrival La Petite is doing in the present, Cueball suddenly reappeared back in frame 675 and caught Megan when she fell out of the bucket? And how would this affect Cueball-675, sitting on the upper level of the sandcastle, watching his future self appear out of nowhere and do this?

Why, this could completely rip the fabric of time. And what would it do to our beloved Blitzgirl as she's traveling rapidly through time when she hits one of these tears at full speed? She may never have the chance to encounter the original timestream as she's diverted down the new timestream as it's rewritten dynamically. . .

I certainly hope no TimeTears await me in the future! (Or in the past!)

In conclusion, a few more pastposts:
Spoiler:
AK49BWL wrote:On a side note, throughout my lurking here I have been cheering on BlitzGirl and Waiting for her to reach the present Time - In fact, (if I can yet, I don't have 5 posts) I'll even throw in some sig-couragement!

Thank you, AK49BWL! :)

manvandmaan wrote:<snip>
Dear BlitzGirl,

Sorry for this LongPost. I know you read it ALL and this post will have cost you some Time. My sincerest apologies! I will make sure the Croissants are not stale when you arrive to the present(s)!
(and also my apologies for the whole 'let's spur BlitzGirl on by deleting the Thread behind her' post! I do not think you are too slow, I was merely extracting some comedy out of the situation! hope you liked it!)

My most sincerest regards!
manvandemaan

I thought it was funny :D - one of my titles is Blitzrandir, after all!

Jafloi wrote:
RobIrr wrote:<snip> And what does it say about me that I got all giddy as I hit the bottom of the page and saw BlitzGirl was online ?
:D

Probably that you are like most of us on this tread? :lol:

[Edit:] Cheering on BlitzGirl! **Cheer cheer** :D :D :D (did it work?)

Yay yay yay!

Wow, this leg of my Quest has been so upbeat! Yay yay yay! Onward I go! *skips*
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:33 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Spoiler:
I have been doing the art of MultiTasking1 for the last several Newpix...

While slowly catching up on the NewPages I've missed (and I'm not quite current yet), I've also been staying reasonably up-to-date with the new ones (and even got to add the old T-Rex "Bang-a-Gong" song link as a Newpix post), AND -- more importantly -- have updated my avatar from the old Stratocaster schematic to a much more appropriate one, that is, if I might suggest, much more suitable for hatting2 should any esteemed Arch-Cardinal of Time3 deem it worth of her fabulous haberdashery abilities.

So, if I might humbly request4 a hat of Her Cardinalship, I would be most honored5 and shall wear it proudly for all of Time! I also shall give my utmost6 as Knight Temporal Sir Vincent, Lord Of Nominal Goodness, Defender Of NewPix Glory7 to serve8 Her Cardinalosity in all perpetuity9 for this great honor!

1 An Outsider term form doing many things badly all at once instead of just screwing up one thing at a time.
2 Very carefully, as to avoid the sharp, pointy fangs and the razor-like claws of the guitaroraptor, of course...
3 Lady Buffygirl, I'm lookin' at you, my Dear...
4 i.e., read: Beg endlessly, with much whining and grovelling!
5 and squeal like a little girl as I do my happy-dance twirl of joy!
6 Provided I don't actually have to do anything, of course.
7 aka "Sir Vinnie LONGDONG"
8 See footnote 6...
9 ...or like, you know, until I forget about it and move on to other shiny things that grab my interest...

StratPlayer has been added to the Mob.

Thank you, oh so kindly!!! I tremble1 with anticipation!!!

1 ...and might even be willing to slip you a nice, shiny quarter-dollar2 if you kind of, you know (*cough*), "forgot" the order of the queue and, um, "accidentally" (*cough*) did mine ahead of some of the other moblettes...
2 +/- $0.25
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:39 pm UTC

Flado wrote:
SBN wrote:I don't know about other kids, but mine were Bunny-Bear and Squid.

Mine also had their personal nicknames; what I mean is a generic female nickname you use when you don't know the real one (and in some other situations which vary by country, language, and intent). Maybe something like "kid", or "kiddo", but genderful. Is there such a thing in English?

I can't really think of any. But I like Bunny-Bear and Squid.

Speaking of kids, congratulations, Jovialbard and Jonas79! Such happy news!

And welcome back, StratPlayer. We've missed you. May the goodness of this thread purge any icky Outside stuff from your mind.

Angelastic wrote:A baby girl would wear a bébéret :D

cmyk wrote:
Febrion wrote:
cmyk wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
SPACKlick wrote:
Spoiler:
OhmygoditwasearthallalONG

For the past month, in addition to my duties as Arch-Cardinal, I have been watching for the first time all seasons of a particular show that everyone here has seen. I actually *don't* know how it ends, and if you just spoiled it for me, I will be very upset!!! Please Randall, remove this possible knowledge from my head!!!

Not unless you're talking about Planet of the Apes, you should be fine.

Thanks for spoiling that one for us, you damn dirty ape!

cmyk,You Are Awesome.

So, apparently they've stopped going to Ikea and are now shopping at Flags backwards-R Us.

Please, no discussions about whether backwards-R is a vowel, or a diphthong, etc...

(Edited to fix spelling and then add "Edited...")

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:40 pm UTC

higgs-boson wrote:

Now you lost me. I'm no full-grown heavy linguistic trained academic. And English is (you MAY have guessed it by now, heh) not my native language.

Triphthongs are, as I understand, three vowels chained together in one syllable. It is a matter of sound, not a matter of whats written - Queanbeyan, Australia, would not count. Bureau would not qualify for the same reason, then. This would imply that the world may have just two vowels, and as long as three can be heared, it may be a triphthong, anyway. Did I get this right?

Also, the rest of us philistines must know if a rhotic or non-rhotic English is being discussed, especially when talking about trip/diphthongs and the r pronunciation.

ETA: gasp! a misspelling!
Last edited by cmyk on Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:58 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit." —Doc Brown

"I... can't describe it. This... means something... this... is important." –Roy Neary

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:41 pm UTC

cmyk wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
cmyk wrote:
<snip>

Spoiler:

:lol:

Very, very nice!!! +(sideways-eight) internets to you, Good Sir!

but, um, shouldn't Megan be there also, astride the horse and wearing her animal skins?

I was certainly thinking about it. Might need to update it...

ETA: Fixed!

:D

+(sideways-eight)2 internets!!!

Excellent!

ETA:
Jafloi wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:The River is small!

The Sea is big!
...And welcome back!

lmjb1964 wrote:<snip>
And welcome back, StratPlayer. We've missed you. May the goodness of this thread purge any icky Outside stuff from your mind.

<snip>

Thank you very much! I greatly appreciate it!!!

It is good to be home, again Waiting For It. :D
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:47 pm UTC

higgs-boson wrote:

You've got the idea, your examples aren't right though. Quiet is only 2 sounds qw-aye-eh-t, swears is sw-eh-er-s, wound is w-oo-nd (only a single thong on that one the way I pronounce it), quaints is qw-eh-ee-nts. I believe (if I'm not mistaken) the only tripthongs in American Standard English include a vowel r. Fire, pyre, our, hour, etc. I could be mistaken about that. That's american standard though, I'm pretty sure Paula Deen speaks a few words with at least a quad-thong.

I don't know what rhotic or non-rhotic English means though
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:47 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:+(sideways-eight)2 internets!!!

Excellent!

Sweet!

*sets on mantle, next to other lesser, finite internets*

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:51 pm UTC

btw I'm going away for the weekend and won't be around to participate in the fun (awwww) so I made my spreadsheet editable in case anyone still wants to use it. There's a chance I might even miss BlitzGirl while I'm gone! gasp!

edit: now I know what non-rhotic means, it's when you drop the r from the end of words like butta (butter), yay knowledge
Last edited by jovialbard on Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:56 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:55 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote:[...] Quiet is only 2 sounds qw-aye-eh-t, [...]

I would argue that, if you are right, every sound could be put in an endless loop and you would hear only one long tone.

Check: eh-eh-eh-eh-eh-eh... Okay, I agree, one sound.
Check: aye-aye-aye-aye-aye... Huh. Sounds like someone shot his foot and is hopping around one-legged.

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:57 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote:<snip>I don't know what rhotic or non-rhotic English means though

Accents of English that pronounce a hard /r/ are rhotic, which is most of America (New England, such as Boston being exclusions). Those that don't are non-rhotic, which now-a-days is most of England, for example.

Non-rhotic accents have far more words that result in diphthongs/schwa combos.

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:58 pm UTC

higgs-boson wrote:

I would argue that, if you are right, every sound could be put in an endless loop and you would hear only one long tone.

Check: aye-aye-aye-aye-aye... Huh. Sounds like someone shot his foot and is hopping around one-legged.

You know what, I might be wrong about quiet... qw-ah-ee-eh-t... hmmm, did I mention I'm making this stuff up as I go along? it's fun!

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:00 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote:
higgs-boson wrote:

You know what, I might be wrong about quiet... qw-ah-ee-eh-t... hmmm, did I mention I'm making this stuff up as I go along? it's fun!

Okay then. Killing blow!

Pronunciation: /ˈkwʌɪət/

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:03 pm UTC

higgs-boson wrote:Okay then. Killing blow!

Pronunciation: /ˈkwʌɪət/

yeah that one's totally a tripthong, I think the other examples given were not though, right, or did I get my analysis of those wrong too.

eta: wee off topic some more!

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:04 pm UTC

For tman2nd.
Attachments
tman2nd-hat-2.jpg
tman2nd-hat-2.jpg (6.12 KiB) Viewed 8945 times

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:07 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:For tman2nd.<snip>

Oh me yarm, a cat in a hat on a cat... or a cat in a hat with a cat... or a cat sleepy cat hat... either way, awesome!

Montov

Postby Montov » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:08 pm UTC

Bye Megan.

Caswallon

Postby Caswallon » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:08 pm UTC

cmyk wrote:Image

By far, the most amazing image yet produced.
histrion wrote:"Gunaxf gb gur Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv, zl jbex cebqhpgvivgl unf qrpernfrq qenzngvpnyyl! Gunaxf, Rayvtugrarq Barf!"

Precepter and historian of the Chruch of the Newpage. achoo

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:09 pm UTC

Montov wrote:Bye Megan.

That's such a ... sad ... "bye" ...

Ptarr

Postby Ptarr » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:09 pm UTC

Megan wrote:bye.
Is this the end of time?

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:10 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Quest progress: 378 out of 408 pages.
Third Megan Period. NP 792.
Specific pastpost responses:
Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:
tman2nd wrote:
Angelastic wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
tman2nd wrote:I'm surprised buffygirl beat Blitzgirl.

Yeah, you are right. Apparently I only got 6 instances where she was tagged as a noun. The NLP must not be that great. I need to recheck this -- thanks for pointing it out. Back later :-)

Does it treat proper nouns differently? If so, it probably assumes BlitzGirl is a proper noun since it begins with a capital letter. That would also explain the lack of Megan and Cueball in both lists.

Megan and Cueball are on this list, so they don't count.

Proper nouns are tagged separately yes... though I included all nouns.
Anyway, bug fixed -- here is the corrected list:
    newpix 990
    cueball 683
    frames 478
    blitzgirl 324
    sandcastle 294
    temporal 185
    castles 182
    coma 167
    timewaiters 136
    sandcastles 116
http://kieryn.com/xkcd-time/data/top5000timeNouns.txt

Okay, Kieryn-of-the-pastpages is sheer awesomeness, especially because of this: http://jsfiddle.net/fgxda/20/embedded/result/

BlitzGirl, It would be an honor just to be mentioned in one of your posts, but this... is what I live for. Thank you.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

Bytes

Postby Bytes » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:11 pm UTC

I'm ready to shed a tear...
Sir Bytes, Waître d' of the Grains and Guardian of the Second Flag from the Right
Kethryes wrote:The Time when the future meets the past in the present is aproaching! Repent!

Montov

Postby Montov » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:11 pm UTC

Caswallon wrote:
cmyk wrote:Image

By far, the most amazing image yet produced.

I agree. We can make a New Testament of all those great made-up images.

descor

Postby descor » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:12 pm UTC

Ptarr wrote:
Is this the end of time?

Oh please, say it ain't so!
Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Keeper of the chickens and Master of the Hutch.

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:13 pm UTC

Ptarr wrote:
Is this the end of time?

I believe, dear friend, it is just the beginning...

Montov

Postby Montov » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:17 pm UTC

cmyk wrote:
Ptarr wrote:
Is this the end of time?

I would say it hasn't even started yet. The comic will start when BlitzGirl is in the present.

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:18 pm UTC

cmyk wrote:I believe, dear friend, it is just the beginning...

Of 600 frames of watching everything fall apart? I hope not... though it would be poetic.

descor

Postby descor » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:18 pm UTC

Montov wrote:
cmyk wrote:
Ptarr wrote:
Is this the end of time?

I would say it hasn't even started yet. The comic will start when BlitzGirl is in the present.

There's a full stop after the 'bye.' It feels so final.
Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Keeper of the chickens and Master of the Hutch.

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:21 pm UTC

Has anyone noticed how the dike on the right seems to be eroding rapidly on the seaward side?
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:22 pm UTC

Now that M & C will be out of the picture for a bit, LaPetite should be making another appearance, perhaps with others, and unfold the next chapter.

Montov

Postby Montov » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:23 pm UTC

There was a discussion about following the new adventure, or staying at the castles. What if there is a split screen? Or picture in picture?

Caswallon

Postby Caswallon » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:24 pm UTC

cmyk wrote:Now that M & C will be out of the picture for a bit, LaPetite should be making another appearance, perhaps with others, and unfold the next chapter.

That would be my assumption as well, and really cool.

Although, kids climbing up questionably lashed ladders with lots of pointy flags down below sounds like a plan for a disaster to me.
histrion wrote:"Gunaxf gb gur Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv, zl jbex cebqhpgvivgl unf qrpernfrq qenzngvpnyyl! Gunaxf, Rayvtugrarq Barf!"

Precepter and historian of the Chruch of the Newpage. achoo

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:25 pm UTC

Montov wrote:There was a discussion about following the new adventure, or staying at the castles. What if there is a split screen? Or picture in picture?

That would aesthetically displease me.

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:25 pm UTC

Montov wrote:There was a discussion about following the new adventure, or staying at the castles. What if there is a split screen? Or picture in picture?

Two camera crews?! Could Randall have the budget?

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:26 pm UTC

dreiarmumig wrote:Ha, I only just noticed that I appear in two of the haikus. I feel so honoured! :oops:

I hope your name really is pronounced with five syllables (or is one a triphthong?) Even when I get my Mac to speak it using the very same speech synthesis I used to count the syllables (although, actually, maybe it's not using the same voice; I didn't set any parameters) I can only hear four. I'll have to look into that.

BlitzGirl wrote:
Angelastic wrote:If there is a downturn in discussion, at least BlitzGirl will get here sooner. And what will we do then? I suggest we destroy the moon.

Why destroy the moon? I'm sure we can find a better use for it than destruction...

The moon might cause tides that destroy sandcastles! But you're right. Maybe we should shine lasers on it and use it to light up the sky.

Sciscitor wrote:Updated and cleaned up (no quotes, correct HTML-entities etc) full text of the One True Needle Pulled Thing up to posting 15440: Here.

Enjoy.

Thanks! Now there are 503 haiku out of 56007 sentences. Maybe more new ones than it would seem, since I do a better job of making sure they're distinct now. Here are the new ones:

Spoiler:
Do you Carry on
though wind and rain as nothing
will stop a true Knight

Our new motto for
the previous page shall be "
Straight for the nut punch!"

I really can't get
a food idea of what <--a food idea? Mmmm, cake.
it's supposed to be.

Is there a formal
request protocol aside
from merely asking?

Assuming that the
rabbit hole actually
goes somewhere, of course.

I'm just always stuck
in the past and I like to
post responsibly.

Although in Time we
don't have the "Hurry up" part,
just the "Wait for it."

But as we are all
waiting, I would say there is
indeed a kinship.

I'm always worried
that Time will end when i'm in
Coma or Outside...

Clearly not as fast
as Blitzgirl, but I guess it's
hard to beat lightning.

This doesn't seem half
as big and impressive as
the lower castles.

I'm glad that title
is still pending, so I don't
need to add it, too.

It could run around,
bounce into castle walls, and
even piss on things.

I really think mscha
needs to stop using the bot (
if he really is).

Only another
fifty before I get to
use the word penis ...

None of the moving
pics work on my phone, so I'm
appreciative.

I figure its the
closest I can get to "Time:
Wait for it." yanno?

It has been, now not
posting until ten minutes
after the NewPic.

I was wasting my
time trying to make a hat
for your cat and now?!??

I think we have the
same memory infecting
our brains, buffygirl:

So, what I want to
know is, when is TimeCon: The
One True Convention?

God Randall knows how
many pages with nary a
bad word being said.

<gulp> All that love just
a few posts back seems to have
evaporated..

Edit: isn't a
hundred of us online at
this time a bit high?

Anyone else feel
like part of the audience
from the Truman Show?

Just want to make sure
I'm looking in the right, uh,
correct direction.

I apologize
for my lengthy absence, but
I have been thinking.

Well, you can start a
reply, save the draft, and then
add to it later.

Then I go back to
the post till the next time I
want to add something.

Like I said, I'm sure
there's a more elegant way,
but that seems to work.

Before I quote the
past - I wanted to say that
I liked mscha's bot pix.

This should result in
the plot points (pages behind)
approaching 0.

BlitzGirl is of course only obliged to read this one:

Clearly not as fast
as Blitzgirl, but I guess it's
hard to beat lightning.

I'm thinking of adding some options to filter out ones that end the first or second line on, say, a conjunction, since they're not as good.

Aww, that 'bye'. They built those castles. Stop making me think twice about moving.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:26 pm UTC

Caswallon wrote:
cmyk wrote:Now that M & C will be out of the picture for a bit, LaPetite should be making another appearance, perhaps with others, and unfold the next chapter.

That would be my assumption as well, and really cool.

Although, kids climbing up questionably lashed ladders with lots of pointy flags down below sounds like a plan for a disaster to me.

And, at the same time... Hilarious!

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:29 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote:
higgs-boson wrote:

You've got the idea, your examples aren't right though. Quiet is only 2 sounds qw-aye-eh-t, swears is sw-eh-er-s, wound is w-oo-nd (only a single thong on that one the way I pronounce it), quaints is qw-eh-ee-nts. I believe (if I'm not mistaken) the only tripthongs in American Standard English include a vowel r. Fire, pyre, our, hour, etc. I could be mistaken about that. That's american standard though, I'm pretty sure Paula Deen speaks a few words with at least a quad-thong.

I don't know what rhotic or non-rhotic English means though

That example sentence is vague enough that it could be 'wound' like a watch, rather than 'wound' like an injury, though. In which case, yeah, diphthong.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:35 pm UTC

That is such a sad, pathetic "bye." And Blitzgirl was just saying how cheerful HER present (our past) was. Maybe we should all go live in the past.

That watersemencancercoffeebabybaconice is rising rather quickly.

Edited to show correct B-girl. :) Thanks mscha!
Last edited by lmjb1964 on Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:58 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

airdrik

Postby airdrik » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:37 pm UTC

Wow, that is so incredibly sad. Bye Megan, Bye Cueball, Bye Sandcastles..
NOOO! Don't go! Don't leave us! We've been through so much together and now you are just leaving; just like that?!?
How can you let it end like that? You can't, you mustn't, you aren't going to. We won't let you. We will wait (for it) and so you must stay or we will have nothing else to wait for.
Just because the sand castle is going to be worn away by the sea doesn't mean you can't stick around and build more sandcastles. There are certainly other possibilities. It doesn't have to end like this.

Well, fine. If you are going to go then go! Leave us here to wallow in our self-pity while we wait for it (the sea to consume sandcastles (our hopes and dreams, leaving only our fears and uncertainty)).
Leave. I never want to see you again (by which I really mean I want you to stay forever and ever and ever and never leave and continue to build sandcastles and to actually find out what the sea is doing and ... Or at least come back within a reasonable number of newpix with your scientific findings so we can help you figure the whole thing out)

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”