1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

thunk

Boyd Street Punsa_w_yers

Postby thunk » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:39 am UTC

azule et al.: It would make sense that Rosetta knows how to speak more than a few languages. Given the likely fragmentation of society after whatever happened before Time, every village in the area likely speaks their own dialect. If the Beanies have established hegemony over an area from afar, then the local residents there might speak their home languages in day-to-day life and the Beanish tongue for administration, trade and official things. It might be taught in school, if that still exists.

Forgotten pope decree: More linguistic discussion. Alternatively, post pictures of birds or other dinosaurs.
Last edited by thunk on Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:56 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Free markets, free movement, free plops
Blitz on, my friends Quantized, GnomeAnne, and iskinner!
troo dat

Eternal Density

Avoid powers of two when speaking in Spoonerisms

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:08 am UTC

ggh wrote:Who wants to explain this one to me?
The escape key is needed to open the caps lock.

Not much progress on the next chapter of CotMS. But I've done a bunch of editing of the existing chapters. More mustard than I expected!
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Gingercat

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Gingercat » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:09 am UTC

ucim wrote:
ggh wrote: :oops: Who wants to explain this one to me?
You seem to think I might be hiding a pun in there somewhere. Really now - I just got slugged, punsawed in half, and sent to pray in a Maine donut. I would not even think of playing with words after that!

No, the key to the whole thing is to know your hot buttons when prestidigitating on a lucky; if you can't control yourself you'll have to pause or break before going back to shift into an alternate space so you can function properly.

Jose

And if you find yourself unable to break out of your habits, you may have to just write the page down, enter a trace by hitting the peace pipe, and running up your alcohol tab. Yelling "Back space, back!" easily equals the satisfaction of using a sharpened bracket to slash your problems, and will underscore the importance of escape, especially when home is the best place you could be. Just brace yourself for the inevitable backslash if you watch too much F1 racing and ignore your fate!

Eternal Density wrote:The escape key is needed to open the caps lock.

Do you need to insert it into the scroll lock to open it too, or is it something I should page up to someone further up the chain?
I am Schrödinger's Gingercat.

ggh

Postby ggh » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:20 am UTC

Spoiler:
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:51 am UTC

I donut want to be left out of that pun-ishment.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

ggh

Postby ggh » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:33 am UTC

Spoiler:
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

DrSamCarter

Postby DrSamCarter » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:04 pm UTC

ggh wrote:
Spoiler:

"You could spend a thousand lifetimes staring at water and sand,
thinking as hard as you could,
and you'd never guess the world had things like this in it."

(I can't believe that (a) you googled "ghost and donut"* and (b) the internet provided.)

* Or something similar

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:03 pm UTC

DrSamCarter wrote:
ggh wrote:
Spoiler:

"You could spend a thousand lifetimes staring at water and sand,
thinking as hard as you could,
and you'd never guess the world had things like this in it."

(I can't believe that (a) you googled "ghost and donut"* and (b) the internet provided.)

* Or something similar

The internet is seaish: big, and does what it wants.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, Vytron, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

ggh

Postby ggh » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:34 pm UTC

Heehee - ghost donut - and presto! I had a number to choose from. One even had a hat! :)
Spoiler:
ImageImageImageImageImage
To be honest, I wasn't surprised. This page, however, I did not expect. :shock:

azule wrote:
ggh wrote:I'm not sure, with such a small sampling, that we really have much of an idea how many symbols there are.
Maybe I don't understand what you mean, but would the answer be that we do know how many?...exactly as many as are in Time.
I may have been too cocky there. It seemed to me that if you had as small a sampling of dialogue as we have, there'd be a good chance that you'd only see a small subset of the characters in a language, but that may have been the kind of assumption you make when you know nothing about language and have forgotten everything you ever learned about statistics. If you take an equal-sized sampling of Cuegan's dialogue, you see 23 letters, and this sample of writing in the Afaka syllabary, which is also roughly the same size, shows about 50 symbols out of the 56 in the written language. So, yeah, maybe it's a stretch to think that we might have only seen half of the available Beanish symbols.

Man... there sure are a lot of languages out there. If there's a clue to Beanish out there somewhere in some particular language, it's going to be like looking for a needle in a needle factory. I wandered down a random path and found interesting things. How many random paths are there? I need a better plan. I thought I had better plans before, but they weren't. I'll tell you about where random leads.

Jose's criticism of Lojban - that it's not a natural language - is a fair one, and I started thinking about what might be the opposite end of that spectrum. Creoles seem pretty natural to me - kids invent them without trying.
Wikipedia wrote:In contrast to specific languages that have "Creole" in their name, a creole language, or simply a creole, is a type or classification of language; in particular, a creole is a stable, natural language that has developed from a pidgin (i.e. a simplified language or simplified mixture of languages used by non-native speakers) that over time has become nativized by children as their first language, with the accompanying effect of a fully developed vocabulary and system of grammar.
You throw a bunch of folks together who speak different languages - say, on a plantation, or a post-apocalyptic Mediterranean university - and they'll start to communicate with each other, badly, by teaching each other some words. There's not much going on in the grammar department. This is called a pidgin. Then, these folks have kids and the kids impose a grammar on this word salad, because that's what the human brain wants to do, and that language is called a creole. (Confusingly, in Hawaii, the local creole is called "Pidgin.")

Now, I didn't even read the whole Wikipedia page, so there's probably heaps of interesting stuff in there, but one interesting thing that caught my eye had to do with thories about similarities between creoles, leading to the page on Language bioprogram theory which explains:
Wikipedia wrote:The language bioprogram theory or language bioprogram hypothesis[1] (LBH) is a theory arguing that the structural similarities between different creole languages cannot be solely attributed to their superstrate and substrate languages. As articulated mostly by Derek Bickerton,[2] creolization occurs when the linguistic exposure of children in a community consists solely of a highly unstructured pidgin; these children use their innate language capacity to transform the pidgin, which characteristically has high syntactic variability,[3] into a language with a highly structured grammar. As this capacity is universal, the grammars of these new languages have many similarities.

Check out the typical verb forms:

So in Beanish, we've got Image, which is thought to be something like "Let's go to the castle." Later, there's Image, which might be something like "Amtoo, let's continue going to the castle." Is there a way that understanding innate language tendencies can help us guess what the pieces of that Beanish verb chunk are?

More awkwardly: were there clues to Beanish in the 2014 Madness?

From the Wikipedia creole page, I also clicked on the English-based creole languages page, which included the Afaka writing sample I linked to above. That caught my eye and led me to the Ndyuka language page (Afaka is a script for Ndyuka), where I saw:
Wikipedia wrote:Ndyuka is based on English vocabulary, with influence from African languages in its grammar and sounds. For example, the difference between na ("is") and ná ("isn't") is tone;
which brings us right back to azule and the dots he pointed out above "nobody" in Rosetta's speech, which I thought might be a diacritic to indicate negatives. Probably just a funny little coincidence.

Looking at the Afaka syllabary, I saw the line, Image, which is not especially exciting, except that in 2880, there's this leaning 8 above the A in Rosetta's speech that bugs the ch*rp outta me:Image
Yes, I'm aware that leaning 8s really aren't that rare in this world. It's just a funny little coincidence.

It's kinda interesting where some of the symbols come from:
Wikipedia wrote:The origins of many of the letters are obscure, though several appear to be acrophonic rebuses, with many of these being symbols from Africa. Examples of rebuses include a curl with a dot in it representing a baby in the belly (in Ndyuka, a abi beli, lit. "she has belly", means "she's pregnant"), and which stands for [be]; two hands outstretched to give stand for [gi]; symbols for come (Ndyuka kom) and go to represent [ko] and [go]; ....
Well, that's neato. I always thought the last character in Beanish water, Image, looked like water. I wonder if that's intentional, and if any of the other Beanish symbols have any picture-meanings. Also, ko and go in Afaka look like this:Image, which when I first saw at a lower resolution made me think of sideways 2s. That brings me to the gate of insanity!. There's that 2 on the Beanish gate. A 2. What would you write on a gate? Welcome? In? <name of town>? Please report to the main gate on Av Andalucia? Push? Part of my pet theory (where every symbol is a meanord) relied on that 2 representing in.

Now, let me digress and drill a hole in that rowboat. There is no 2 on the gate leading into the city.
Look at 2815:
They're behind the gate. If it says 2 on that gate, it says 2 on the way out. Or... it says backwards-2 - a character that doesn't appear elsewhere in our Beanish - on the way in. Or... it says both.

So back to Afaka... there's a symbol for come that when rotated around means go. Which looks (just a little bit) like a Beanish symbol that appears, along with its reflection, in a place where Beanies come and go. Yes, I know it's just a funny little coincidence.

So this is my current Interesting Mistaken Discovery. If I had made two different random clicks off that first page, I would have landed in a different collection of funny little coincidences that also don't mean anything at all.

We'll get there, but will Interesting Mistaken Discoveries overtake Thus ends Time before we do? Could be a fun ride... :)

rsir:
Spoiler:
Screen Shot 2016-07-13 at 3.01.18 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-07-13 at 3.57.52 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-07-13 at 3.57.52 AM.png (9.97 KiB) Viewed 13172 times
Screen Shot 2016-07-13 at 4.11.32 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-07-13 at 4.11.32 AM.png (9.4 KiB) Viewed 13172 times
Agatha the Awesomeful

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:08 pm UTC

That reminds me of something I was wondering a while ago, about the pronunciation of Beanish: if the closest approximations we have to the characters are Canadian Aboriginal Syllabics - have we tried using the sounds of those characters and seen whether they were pronounceable?
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, Vytron, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

Eternal Density

Re: 1190: "Cold Time"

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:50 pm UTC

There'snow a riverish amount of white powder outside my house, so I made anice video about it. https://youtu.be/eKfkQew3KVw
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:08 am UTC

Did you typo your spaces for "snowy" effect?

ggh wrote:I may have been too cocky there. [and other less cocky things?]
I totally understand how you could think there might be more letters. Imagine how much we write in English and never use the letter 'z'. While that's possible, this isn't a natural language (even if emulated to be one). I think GLR would have provided us with all of the letters, which is why we end up with a solitary 'ᕬ'. I think that's the Beanish 'z'.

You go random language and I'll go random pattern matching and tresoldi will use statistical probability and et al. :) (Uh, earlier when I said "pigeon" I meant "pidgin"...I did, I did!)

Words....mind... no longer together. ;) Back to the Beanish, though, yeah maybe that one change in that sentence is a verb form change. I don't even know how to help you with that, yet, though. Sorry.

On 2815, I'm going to have to go with "artistic license". GLR has it written for our benefit, just as he has Unglish written in English for our benefit. Thanks for pointing out that it's written for on the way out, but maybe there's two gate doors and one has it written for going in (even though they used the other door). Happy? ;)

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

ggh

Postby ggh » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:46 am UTC

taixzo wrote:That reminds me of something I was wondering a while ago, about the pronunciation of Beanish: if the closest approximations we have to the characters are Canadian Aboriginal Syllabics - have we tried using the sounds of those characters and seen whether they were pronounceable?
I don't recall reading of anyone trying that... that seems like a neat idea. I'm not too sure where some of the symbols come from, and there was some discussion regarding which symbols to use (it's not always an obvious match) but the first symbol is "yo", so that's a promising start. :)

I'll try to hunt down more of them later, but if someone who knows more about the background of that transliteration can help out, that'd be grand. I confess, I have trouble recognizing the Beanish in transliterated form, so I'm not very familiar with it.

Pretty snow, ED! It only snows in Wellington every 5 years or so, and then, only a dusting. I can't really say I miss sub-freezing temperatures though. I am a much wussier person now than the girl who spent 8 years in Ithaca.

azule wrote:On 2815, I'm going to have to go with "artistic license". GLR has it written for our benefit, just as he has Unglish written in English for our benefit. Thanks for pointing out that it's written for on the way out, but maybe there's two gate doors and one has it written for going in (even though they used the other door). Happy? ;)
I think "artistic license" is very, um, non-heretical of you. ;) Would it really have been any less artful if he had erased the gate-lines through their heads? But yes, I think you're right. I think it's a possibly large possibility that the 2 was meant to be read while entering. It does mean though, that I have to add the precondition that 2815 is mustardly to whatever theory I'm pursuing, and sometimes the weight of those exceptions and stretches that I'm factoring in starts to tip the scales....
Agatha the Awesomeful

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:30 am UTC

New OtherComic.

OutsideH keeps me quite busy at the moment, but I'm impressed by the continued effort to decipher Beanish. Good work, and keep the ideas coming, everymolpy!
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

Eternal Density

Re: 1190: "Time to concentrate on writing"

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:38 am UTC

azule wrote:Did you typo your spaces for "snowy" effect?
Of course not! And I have a terrificold bridge to sell you.

Gingercat

Re: 1190: "Time to concentrate on writing"

Postby Gingercat » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:56 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
azule wrote:Did you typo your spaces for "snowy" effect?
Of course not! And I have a terrificold bridge to sell you.

Does it lead to hyponarnia?

mscha

1190: "Time" - Time Revisited - np2764

Postby mscha » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:10 am UTC

CHUNGEFULNESS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
Replay Time live here!

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:I AM BEST BAOBABBY, THE BEST BAOBABBY EVER!

-- posted by oldpixbot

ggh

Postby ggh » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:11 am UTC

Bunny!

I'm afraid many of my attempts have more humour value than linguistic. Sometimes I just want to throw the kitchen sink at things. I just went hunting for a name for Gibraltar that ends with a repeated syllable to fit with the name on the map.
Screen Shot 2016-07-13 at 6.47.36 PM.png
I didn't find one, so then I went looking for an alternate name to try the same thing with.
Check out the Arabic name below Eddalya.
Screen Shot 2016-07-13 at 6.46.41 PM.png
It's nice to know that if I run out of broken creole and Lojban straws to grasp at, that there's always the Arabian stables to visit.

I think I need a cup of tea and a regroup. Also, glasses.
Agatha the Awesomeful

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:33 am UTC

That strait looks very big. I usually saw that on a farther away scale.... It's not tiny? :oops:

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:25 pm UTC

azule wrote:That strait looks very big. I usually saw that on a farther away scale.... It's not tiny? :oops:

It's 9 miles across! That's big.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:54 pm UTC

[blindpost=NP2420]

Rakhal wrote:<raises head carefully above the parapet>

First time poster here, just working my way through the thread. Currently at page 431, NP940, during the great fading. Enjoying reading the madness at present, though catching a glimpse of the posts on this page scares me. I think I may need a PhD in Mathematics to understand what's going in here when I get here. Oh well. Onwards. Currently at 17.76%

--Rakhal Stormwarden

OMR, another Blitzer, beginning to chronicle xer quest 2.5 yips A.T. And I cheated and saw that xe seems to post periodically every few wips, with the most recent being only a wip ago, with a full 80% of the OTT read! Randallspeed, fellow Blitzer!

Since I'm here anyway, might as well answer a question, since it's been 2 pastpages and 2 pastdips with no definitive response:
ggh wrote:Anyone happen to know what it means when the last-visited field in someone's profile is just "-"
When you log in, there's an option to "Hide my online status this session". If you do that every time you log in, it shows you as never having been online.

[/blindpost]
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

mscha

1190: "Time" - Time Revisited - np2772

Postby mscha » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:10 pm UTC

GALUNGAL...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
(Colorization by Whizbang.)

Replay Time live here!

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:I'M SUCH A LEFT SPOILERCAKE WHEN IT COMES TO CORINNING

-- posted by oldpixbot

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:11 pm UTC

Hi, everymolpy. I'm not in the Basement, but I will be in the shed for another wip or so due to Outside. I saw an IMAX movie that showed Earth from space, and they showed the Strait of Gibraltar. I thought about all y'all. Wonder if the Beanie dam could be see from space? :D

Wishing molphishness to all and sundry.

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

thunk

1190: "Time": REDUNDANCY. *NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH _POPE_*

Postby thunk » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:13 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:Hi, everymolpy. I'm not in the Basement, but I will be in the shed for another wip or so due to Outside. I saw an IMAX movie that showed Earth from space, and they showed the Strait of Gibraltar. I thought about all y'all. Wonder if the Beanie dam could be see from space? :D

Wishing molphishness to all and sundry.

From Low Earth Orbit, yes. Especially if they put lights on it.
From higher up, probably not.
troo dat

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:47 pm UTC

macraw83 wrote:Since I'm here anyway, might as well answer a question, since it's been 2 pastpages and 2 pastdips with no definitive response:
ggh wrote:Anyone happen to know what it means when the last-visited field in someone's profile is just "-"
When you log in, there's an option to "Hide my online status this session". If you do that every time you log in, it shows you as never having been online.

Thanks for figuring that out. Someone should try that and see how long it takes to turn into "-". I'm leaving my status as it is, but maybe someone will hide themselves for a few posts and see what happens.

Hi, lmjb!

Eternal Density

Re: 1190: "MustardTime"

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:47 pm UTC

[Posted from the Mirror at Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:42 PM GMT]
Whenever I try posting on the fora I see:
This site can’t be reached

The connection was reset.
Try:
Reloading the page
Checking the connection
ERR_CONNECTION_RESET
Though I can browse needle-pulled things and compose replies just fine.
Is it just me, or is it an ongoing issue affecting others? Some were mentioning issues in the Forum Migration thread, but not like this.
A few dips ago, I was being logged out of the fora whenever I posted, though it worked when I logged back in.

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:12 am UTC

Seems to be working fine for me.

moody7277

Re: 1190: "Time" - Time Revisited - np2772

Postby moody7277 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:00 am UTC

mscha wrote:GALUNGAL...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
(Colorization by Whizbang.)

Replay Time live here!

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:I'M SUCH A LEFT SPOILERCAKE WHEN IT COMES TO CORINNING

-- posted by oldpixbot

I assume that the message behind this colorization is that Megan succumbed to the Lucky Strike and the rest is Cueball's grief/amoeba induced delusion.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

Gingercat

The Chronicles of Torgos, Vol. 4

Postby Gingercat » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:09 am UTC

Welcome to The Chronicles of Torgos, Vol. 4! The theme of today's story is "What Lies Beneath", where we conclude the story arc of the swamp, although with questions still remaining. (As always, unless something is prefaced with "OOC", references to "I" or "me" are completely in-character, telling the story from his point of view as if this is his journal. Occasionally liberties must be taken, such as referring to dice rolls; let's just chalk those up to him believing that the gods roll dice sometimes to determine how they'll treat him and others in various situations just for fun. It's not entirely inaccurate...)

<- Volume 3

Spoiler:
With the Paladin and another character too incapacitated to continue their adventure due to their players not being present that nighthaving repeatedly beaten each other unconscious, the greatly diminished party of a wizard, sorceror, fighter and warlock continue exploring this unsettling area. They soon come across a "throne room", with a simple moss-covered throne made of ordinary stone decorating an otherwise uninteresting room. The ceiling is covered in very thick webs, which should set anyone's spider senses tingling. Smiling, I ask if the liberal application of FIRE would be appropriate here, as per "Adventuring 101: You Should Burn The Web" while readying a Firebolt cantrip.

Imagine my surprise when the others yell "No!" - As the spell fizzles, the warlock suggests more quietly that spider web is a very useful crafting component if harvested carefully; it can be used in the creation of magical goods, potions and fine clothing, as well as being a required component for some spells (I imagine it's needed for a Web spell, for example). Nodding, I start looking for the creators of this webbing, as do the others.

We find five of them hiding up there in various spots. Giant Spiders! [OOC: I'm generally horrified by dangerous /poisonous spiders.] I'm not so concerned, especially when one of them immediately gets dropped by a well-placed crossbow bolt. The other four descend, and one immediately gets Commanded by the warlock to attack the spider nearest it. The other two try and sling some webs. One misses, one hits, and now we have a webbed sorceror. He tries (and fails) to break free carefully to preserve the web, so I carefully free him with my dagger. We're already up by 5 pounds of high-quality Giant Spider Web! The commanded spider and its nearby friend duke it out, the non-commanded one fails its save vs poison (ironic that a spider can poison a spider, I know!) and dies in short order.

With very little effort, these spiders all get wrecked, and only then does the trouble start. The warlock likes harvesting, you see, and harvesting is not without its inherent dangers. A slip of your fingers and you end up impaling yourself on the mandible of the spider you're trying to extract poison from, taking damage and likely poisoning yourself instead, and you damage it badly enough that a second attempt is not an option. Sadly, he failed every single extraction attempt, dropping below half HP in the end from his attempts. On the flipside, he managed to throw a successful Save Vs Poison every time, so he didn't end up in Poisoned status as well. At this point I'm thinking that I'll try and learn how to assist in his endeavours so at least he will have a better chance of harvesting these rather profitable components. Turning our attention to the ceiling, we manage to harvest quite a decent amount of spider silk from it too.

Searching the room, we find a secret passage hidden behind loose stone behind the throne. It reveals a passageway that is choked with spiderweb! We have no doubt at all that this passage contains more spiders. It's noted in a dry manner by the fighter that the last time the party encountered a situation like this and they torched the webs, the resulting fire destroyed all but one loot item contained within it somewhere. Now I understand the reluctance to use fire on webs - Not only does it destroy harvestable material, but it is extremely likely to destroy anything else of use as well! I decide to hang back near the entrance of the passageway and let the others proceed, being able to assist with a few non-fire spells (Frostbolt, Magic Missile etc) if necessary. Search checks indicate the presence of two spiders, and a left turn in the passageway that may obscure more of them.

The spiders attack, Initiative is rolled and the battle begins, when... SNEAK ATTACK! A shadowy figure appears seemingly out of thin air, dressed in very fine clothing, and Sneak Attacks the warlock for a scary amount of damage with the potential to inflict Poisoned status. He's difficult to hit too, with a pretty high Armor Class. He quaffs a potion and vanishes, waits for a bit, reappears in a different position and Sneak Attacks the warlock again. Between the spiders and... whoever this is, it's suddenly quite a tough fight. After he and the spiders take a lot of damage, I Frostbolt him before he disappears again, effectively slowing him due to the numbing cold. He's now invisible again, and probably preparing for another devastating Sneak Attack. A successful Knowledge check determines that he's actually an Ettercap Assassin. (So why is he dressed in such fancy clothes?)

The warlock has an idea, and casts Faerie Fire, dispelling the Ettercap's Invisibility effect and revealing him to be out of the passageway and right next to me. After a short greeting to our Assassinly friend here via my previously-readied Frostbolt cantrip, I deck him with a Scorching Ray and he's dead. The others mop up the remaining two spiders in the passageway, and we search for loot. My share is two currently-unknown spellbooks. I'm certain that when I have sufficient time and resources to examine these, they will be useful spells I can record in my own spellbook for future use.

Ah, so this is why the Ettercap looked so fancy: He was wearing a Cloak of Protection +1 (mine now!) which also has a "Glamour" effect on it. Using the command word, you can cause the cloak to give you the illusion of wearing any other clothes or armor of your choice. The Ettercap had style, and felt that looking fancy was the way to go. I think I'll follow his lead unless something more interesting comes to mind; maybe looking like I'm permanently on fire or encased in ice or flowing lava would be fun? A quick adjustment to my effective AC rating and I'm good to go. The other loot is nice (especially significant amounts of cash) but otherwise not of interest to me.

Onward to the only unexplored part of the caverns... A large (roughly 70 feet from end to end), slightly oval-shaped (about 50 feet across) cave area with a floor of thick, deep, squelchy mud, the sort that will suck your boot off your foot if you're unlucky, lots of moss and vines growing on the walls, very damp, one exit at either end. This place stinks of dead and rotting things that have no doubt been caught in the mud and sank. We carefully make our way through (good rolls mean the mud isn't too much of an issue) to the other exit, through a low and narrow passageway to the room at the other end. This room contains crude (but still very effective) well-used torture stretch-racks and badly decayed wooden cages with some very old remains in them. (While the cages wouldn't be able to hold anyone in them now, they would have been quite sturdy when their contents were first put in.) Careful searching of this room by the others doesn't turn up much of interest (the remains appear to just be piles of rags), and the fighter decides that the torture racks should be decommissioned for great justice. He does so with a few well-placed "adjustments" to their mechanical sections. I decide to have a look around for myself, and due to a very good roll on my Search check (a 16, if I recall), I find that one of the remains has a set of lead dice hidden among the stones, of all things! [OOC: It feels very meta for my character to find a set of dice based on getting good luck with one, heh. And why made of lead specifically? Dice made of lead are nearly unheard-of.] These don't seem to be inherently magical or worth a lot, but looks can be deceiving, especially since they were so well hidden.

We prepare to go back the way we came in, having now explored the entire complex, when I get suspicious. I motion to the others to wait, and say that if we're looking for a frog-like creature, it's probably hiding under that mud waiting to ambush us. This is more likely now than our first trip across the mud - Since that trip was uneventful, why would we suspect it on our way back across? I'm already very wary of the possibility of creatures hiding under water/mud/concealing terrain, and so this screams "Ambush!" to me. The others agree, and the warlock pulls out a container of fascinating substance: Desiccation Powder! (I'm really starting to develop a lot of respect for him; he's got a lot of clever ideas and solutions to things.) Just a pinch of this rather rare substance draws all the water in a 20-foot cube into itself and compacts into a pellet roughly the size of an aspirin. [To visualize this, imagine instantly draining an Olympic swimming pool full of water.] When smashed, crushed or crumbled, the pellet immediately releases all of the water it absorbed and vanishes. The powder isn't re-usable, which is a pity. To test, they drop some of it just at the edge of the muddy area, which immediately hardens into solid, dry mud as you would expect, to roughly 10 feet out and 10 feet either side of where it was dropped, leaving the small pellet behind. Neat! Since the warlock has a Fly spell available, he flies out across the mud to the center of the area, dropping a second pinch there, which immediately dries a 20-foot square platform into the mud (and presumably up to 10 feet of mud underneath it, as per the cube shape of the effect) and leaves behind a small pellet, which he lands near and retreives. He places both pellets into an empty potion bottle to avoid the unfortunate potential for the torrents to be released directly within his knapsack.

Something didn't appreciate us drying out that central mud.

The mud throughout the area immediately begins to roil and convulse, as if something underneath it is causing a huge commotion and coming to the surface. The fighter and sorceror head to the middle platform (and have to throw checks to make sure they don't get sucked into the mud), the warlock waits on the newly created dry-mud platform, and I remain at the entrance that leads to the low passage and cage room, waiting to see what appears and considering my options for dealing with it.

I'll tell you now, dearest journal: While I've seen many things in my travels, I wasn't prepared for a giant, Up To Eleven version of a Gibbering Mouther. This... uh, I'm going to name it Eye Spy because why not?, was entirely covered in eyes, mouths, faces, random bits of clothing, gems, coins, and miscellania. Clearly, it simply integrates into itself everything that it consumes, whether organic or not. The faces scream and writhe as if they're aware of what they've become, trapped souls doomed to remain part of this creature. It towers over us, with four huge limbs and a massive central mouth filled with teeth and a long, sticky tongue, and is currently "facing" (if the largest mouth of the creature could be considered its front) everyone on the central platform.

[OOC: Here's another example of where the GM shines. As with the previous spiders/ettercap encounters, he "creates" the area layout on the table using objects such as pencils and cubes to provide the boundaries, and miniatures from other games such as Warhammer to represent the characters involved. He picked a particularly big one for Eye Spy, and human ones for us and, later, other summoned creatures of human-ish size. This makes the experience much more immersive.]

As soon as it appears, Eye Spy gets blasted with a Scorching Ray from me [OOC: for a delightful 33 damage, huge for a level 3 wizard!]... Which doesn't seem to bother it much. The faces scream in agony, the mouths yell and gibber, the eyes roll and move. It is scorched but otherwise unhindered. The others attempt to damage it, with varying success, and the warlock uses a Plant Growth spell to try and make the surrounding vegetation a Grapple hazard for anything unfriendly that goes near it... And then Eye Spy gets its turn, and five separate attack opportunities. The first attack is a Grapple attempt with its tongue, and it hooks the warlock and drags him into its mouth, biting and dealing substantial crushing damage. Every one of its other limbs also gets an opportunity to attack, and it hits like a truck. The warlock manages to break free and escapes to the first entrance to try and gain some distance for crossbow attacks, and the others join me at the passageway entrance. Eye Spy causes the mud to begin shifting and bubbling (attempting to move in it now would be much more difficult) and immediately covers the intervening ground with a leap attack, making successful attacks on all of us, hitting me for more than half of my life total in one swipe of those massive arms. The others likewise take considerable damage, this time with the Dragonborn sorcerer getting to be a tasty chew toy. (What is it with us and getting chewed on?) It also summons six Boggarts in the middle of the area to assist it. Seeing these, the warlock immediately throws a Fireball which destroys all six in one glorious fountain of flame. The unfortunate flipside of this is the Fireball sets fire to the now quite impressive plant life on the walls, as well as turning a substantial amount of wet mud into dry mud plus thick steam and mist. Combined with the smoke, this creates a visually opaque barrier in the middle of the room, so nobody on either side can see what is happening on the other. The melee continues, with the sorceror breaking free and attacking, and the warlock blind-firing into the mist in Eye Spy's general direction. He's got a good chance to hit it since it's so huge and he can hear it... Then it summons four more Boggarts from the mud which go straight for him.

With me backing down the passage as quickly as I can, I'm able to throw another Scorching Ray, dealing more huge damage, scorching and blackening the creature further. [OOC: This was another roughly 36 damage. When asked if it's nearly dead, the GM just shakes his head. We've dealt it around 150 damage total by this point, and the others are dropping badly in life totals as well from its like-a-truck damage output.] The Boggarts appear out of the mist, the warlock uses his Fey nature to cast Fey Presence, scaring every one of them back toward us. When they reappear, the sorcerer uses Minor Illusion to grab their attention, and two of them fall for it, allowing for easy pickings; the other two try to attack the fighter and sorcerer, and get mangled for their efforts. Eye Spy knocks them down to near-unconsciousness and they join me in the passageway where it has a lot of trouble getting to us (no leap attack due to the low ceiling). A Frostbolt from me, more hits from the fighter and sorceror, and a last hit by the warlock finally kills it.

I begin furiously scribbling notes in my journal (my thirst for knowledge will not wait!) while the others search the creature's remains for goodies, finding a treasure trove of cash which gets shared out, some useful potions and other items of interest. [OOC: Torgos was 300EXP short of Level 4, however due to his scribblings and note-taking, he's granted that as Discretionary EXP since he's learned so much. Ding! Level up!] As I'm writing, I realise that I feel stronger than before, and new knowledge has made itself known to me. I can now cast more spells in a day, and I've gained knowledge of a very useful spell that allows me to bring into existence a dome of force which allows for resting conditions similar to those of an Inn! It does not allow anything to enter, and nothing can see in, but we can see out, while resting in perfect comfort. Handy!

-> Volume 5
Last edited by Gingercat on Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:53 pm UTC, edited 4 times in total.

thunk

47b: In which thunk loses count.

Postby thunk » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:09 am UTC

I finally read a newpage since June.
Though I think I've lost the motivation to be serious about the blitz. The pages just keep getting longer and longer, and most of the interesting events have happened already.
troo dat

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:27 am UTC

[Posted from the Mirror at Thu Jul 14, 2016 04:19 AM GMT]
Awesome tale, Gingercat.
Looks like I can only post from the mirror todip. Epsilon. And m*stard. Any clue why?

Edit:
From my leopad, I cannot post or edit posts, or PM, or log in via fora.xkcd.com. Though I can view threads (as a logged in member) and compose replies/PMs on forums.xkcd.com, and can view threads (as a not logged in viewer) on fora.xkcd.com.

From my desktop organised sand, I cannot access forums.xkcd.com, or fora.xkcd.com, or even xkcd.com. That's right, I cannot access the comic at all.
BUT I can access echo chamber.me and was able to log in, and hopefully editing this post will be successful.
Edit: stupid filter on echo chamber.me
Last edited by Eternal Density on Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:58 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

addams

Postby addams » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:34 am UTC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5TwT69i1lU
What a beautiful world it is.

Time is beautiful inside.
This half moon night is nice outside, too.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

mscha

1190: "Time" - Time Revisited - np2791

Postby mscha » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:10 am UTC

LIMITUNGLY...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
(Colorization by mscha.)

Replay Time live here!

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:NOW IF YOU'LL EXCUSE ME, I HAVE ORGANISED SANDS TO KETCHUP

-- posted by oldpixbot

ggh

Postby ggh » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:42 pm UTC

Aw mscha, that's so wingish! I feel like I can even smell the sweet summery smells rising from the ground....

Thanks for solving the last-visited mystery, macraw!

Oh Torgos - you'd not be finding me in there with all those spiders. Good on 'ya!

And yay, the mirror! - keeping ED posting when strange forces conspire against him. The mirror is mighty grand. :)

And, addams, it's not just me then? That half moon is especially lovely tonight. :)
Agatha the Awesomeful

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:35 pm UTC

ggh wrote: That half moon is especially lovely tonight.
Half-moon? Did somebody abscond with the other half? Is it the half with Baltimore on it?

I bet the other half has a stark beauty all its own.

And thunk, you are welcome in the present whether fully blitzed or not. Maybe you just need to go for a long pint in the past while you enjoy the thread in the present. :)

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:44 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
ggh wrote: That half moon is especially lovely tonight.
Half-moon? Did somebody abscond with the other half? Is it the half with Baltimore on it?

I bet the other half has a stark beauty all its own.

And thunk, you are welcome in the present whether fully blitzed or not. Maybe you just need to go for a long pint in the past while you enjoy the thread in the present. :)

Jose

Baltimore is on the moon now?
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:30 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:Baltimore is on the moon now?
Oops - I shouldn't have said that. It's after all, a secret moonbase.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

ggh

Postby ggh » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:54 pm UTC

The replay is on:

enhanced:

What's the deal with this circle?

And what does this line up with?

These are some seaish superimpositions of Rosetta's map with Google's, and also the Mediterranean floor. For your alignmenting pleasure. :)
googleLineup.jpg
mdFloorLineup.jpg
allLineup.jpg

rsir:
Spoiler:
survey.jpg
surveyCircle.png
surveyCircle.png (32.51 KiB) Viewed 12206 times
surveyFeatures.png
surveyFeatures.png (29.83 KiB) Viewed 12206 times
Agatha the Awesomeful

mscha

1190: "Time" - Time Revisited - np2801

Postby mscha » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:10 pm UTC

PUNGOS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
(Colorization by ucim.)

Replay Time live here!

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:THESE AREN'T THE WHEELSTICKS YOU'RE MOLPYING UP FOR

-- posted by oldpixbot

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:43 pm UTC

ggh wrote:The replay is on:
Spoiler:

enhanced:

What's the deal with this circle?

And what does this line up with?

Before we go on, wasn't that supposed to be "rabtor" not "bunnyH"? I like rabtor because it's almost raptor. :)

Did we ever line up the map in Time just like you did with this line map? Or, uh, could you also do that? :D Super neat images. I don't know what to make of it, nor do I know how you separated the straight lines from the "map" behind it. How? I want to be cool like you.

Some great colpix this NP. For example, lovely colpix, ucim. Who knows if I noticed or said that when you first made it.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”