1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Rakhal

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Rakhal » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:48 am UTC

I see all these wonderful posts in the thread, but I'm unable to come up with anything cool myself. I'm still here in the present, apologies for being quiet. If I have anything worthwhile to post I will :)

--Rakhal

(Hmm, accidental pope. Post something interesting!)

addams

Postby addams » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:01 am UTC

Interesting?
Interesting to who?
What interests you?

(shrug) U-Tube is interesting to me.
China is interesting and exotic to me, too.
It is a phase I have been going through sense childhood.

Therefore; By decree I bring a U-Tube clip about Chinese culture.
Top 5 Things a Foreigner once liked and now dislikes about China.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xldbe3U3uIQ
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

svenman

Postby svenman » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:26 am UTC

ggh wrote:What do you think about the TimeAfterTime section on the main page? It currently includes the main subheadings:
    The SilentONGs – t1i – A Sequel To Time
    SilentONG Periods
    ​Dialogue in the SilentONGs
    TimeAfterTime Artwork
Looking at that might give the impression that t1i has been the only TimeAfterTime, but adding them all would make this already sprawling main page more sprawling. I can't think of a good solution... I wish subheadings could be collapsed. It's a puzzlement.

I removed the links for the SilentONG subtopics, as not every wiki page needs to be directly linked from the main page, and added t-1, so it should be a bit more balanced now.

ggh wrote:Hey, I see that you just earned the Curator Badge for adding 2000 images to the wiki. Congratulations! That is pretty awesomeful!

Thanks! It's my fourth Curator badge, after a certain level they just keep repeating...

For decree: Anyone here into motorbikes?

Edit: And I just found out there is a pretty steakish and relatedly-named restaurant fairly near to where I live.
Last edited by svenman on Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:43 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Apart from Forum Games, mostly active on the One True Thread.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may be useful.

Addams thanks all of us who helped. Her life is much better now.

Randallspeed to all blitzers on the One True Thread!

ggh

Postby ggh » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:32 am UTC

Other stuff I meant to say before I ran out the door:
balthasar_s wrote:
balthasar_s wrote:
Spoiler:
The recent post about Bach and bachaddict reminded me of something.
The whistling in WHYDTMT at 0:03 and 1:13.
I was whistling that from memory. I heard it played on a piano and I really liked it.
Recently, I found the notes of this.
And, apparently, this was music from Bach!
Polonaise in G Minor BWV Anh 119
But i heard this without the repetitions.
You can also hear this twice in "Nie Śpij".
So recently I finally found the notes of what I was whistling twice in WHYDTMT.
There was only one thing left to do:
https://youtu.be/UK86OKn2HoY?list=PLh6LY7st8ddNDM7cSNIbVYBNESizjwCUO
Ha! Treeish! I should have guessed!
balthasar_s wrote:Also,
Spoiler:
Well, here's a thread discussing it:
http://music.stackexchange.com/question ... nd-germany

Whatever the reason, I'm not sure it's really that epsilon. Music is a bit like language - evolving, and less logical than everyone thinks it should be. The musical scales we tend to use now aren't the only ones we could use, even with the notes we've chosen for Western music. And those notes themselves have evolved - before well-temperament, different keys had different characteristics, which would have given B its own unique role. Idiom. Isn't that the catchall official-sounding way of saying "just because"?

ergman wrote:Recent wiki talks led me through a wonderful tour of all the OTColoureds. Are there any major scenes as of yet un-colored?

Edit: wow, this was a round number post! I guess that gives me more to say.

penis
Colour anything you feel like; it doesn't matter if it's been done or not!

Also,

Must check out shirts....

ETA: heh, funny you just posted about the bike, svenman - when looking for a 1200 cake for ergman, I almost chose a 1200 Harley-Davidson cake. So close, so close....

And nice wiki move!
I haven't been able to do what I said I would yet....

ETA2: got a chance to watch the China video - yes, definitely gets a thumbs-up for interesting here.

ETA3: svenman, take Time off from the wiki and eat there!

ETA4, for decree: I finally got around to checking out a quote from the movie Evan Almighty: The Argentine Lake Duck has a penis as long as its body. Factual.

ETA5: So now there's a Puzzles and Mysteries wiki page with a few brief descriptions. I'll try to add some pics and links and stuff, but maybe not this week.

Also, the BlitzGirl and Helper pages can now be found on the OTTer page, and Newpixbot is under Bots. All y'all should go nuts and add yourselves. Tell the world how you like your waffles, or whatever.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

mikrit

Postby mikrit » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:51 pm UTC

Blindposting a completely off-topic I-feel-so-sorry-for-myself rant:
Spoiler:
The carpenter/painter who is working at my cottage turned out to be a motherch*rping steambottlish son-of-a-hillbully who never seems to get finished and is offended by the slightest criticism, Randammit!

And I needed to write that here, so I can refrain from e-mailing him in anger, which is always a dumb idea. I apologize for the un-OTTish nature of this post. Please carry on being molpish.
Hatted and wimpled by ergman.
Dubbed "First and Eldest of Ottificators" by svenman.
Febrion wrote: "etc" is latin for "this would look better with more examples, but I can't think of any".

ggh

Postby ggh » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:45 pm UTC

Oh yes, that is pretty steambottlish. :( Ugh.

You can always vent to us, mikrit. Some of us can listen, and sometimes someone knows a good way of dealing with something, but I'm afraid I am not that someone.
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

addams

Postby addams » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:52 am UTC

[quote="svenman" Wrote
For decree: Anyone here into motorbikes?
Yes. I was once upon a Time.
Spoiler:
I used to ride a lot, sometimes.
My favorite was a 750 Honda Shadow.

She was a perpetual motion machine.
I put fuel in her and she kept going and going and going.

She was long and low.
Very easy to ride on open roads.
Very difficult in tight corners.
This is China plus Motorcycles.
oh! oh! Warning! Bad Language during exciting moments.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axZC4inhu9c

There is a Baby to touch, too.
I Never rode like those guys do.

Am I overdoing the decree?

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:35 am UTC

ggh wrote:Oh yes, that is pretty steambottlish. :( Ugh.

You can always vent to us, mikrit. Some of us can listen, and sometimes someone knows a good way of dealing with something, but I'm afraid I am not that someone.

I'm not either, but I can commiserate. We had our shower retiled, went pretty fancy, for us. Even picked out an especially nice drain and cover.
Plumbers/tilers couldn't seem to figure it out, so instead they just got some cheap cover and grouted it in! So instead of being a pleasant, relaxing start to my day, everyday I see it and seethe, knowing that it wasn't what we wanted, and when the drain inevitably clogs, I'll have to get it ripped out and redone.

But, we started Christmassing this weekend:
009 (2).JPG

The wolpies weren't particularly interested in the photo taking though.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

ggh

Postby ggh » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:10 am UTC

They're cute even when they're bored. :)
Oh SBN, I am also sorry about your drain. I thought the tradesmen-making-their-own-bad-decisions-and-making-you-pay-for-them thing was a New Zealand thing. For the record though, I have to say that I am lucky to know a plumber, an electrician, and a builder who are all excellent, and that's been gold because the dudes who designed and built my house... man....

addams wrote:Am I overdoing the decree?
Let me show you a page:
BlitzGirl brings bears.
And that was awesomeful. :) Worry less.

Some more ketchup from NP2527, in which Jose tells us about his adventure in the crooked basement. Gee, in the context of the present conversation, I can only image how much more mustard there would have been if it had been anyone else doing that work. You weren't by any chance wearing a beanie while you fixed it, Jose?

There was a BytEfLUSh! But I am too late. Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

addams wrote:Today was a Good Day.
I blame the weather.

It was a perfect Fall Day.
Bright sunlight and crisp cool air.
The forests are scented with myrtle, cedar, fir and pine.
I blame you. :) I can almost smell/feel that loveliness too.

All the movie titles were pretty treeish! (Did I say that before?)
Personal favourite:
svenman wrote:The Lord of the ONGs: The Cueganship of the Bags
The Lord of the ONGs: The Two Castles
The Lord of the ONGs: The Return of the Sea

SBN wrote:No one else has said it yet? Congratulations to the Baby Bear-molps!
lmjb1964 wrote:My friend, who has been a huge Cubs fan all his life, was crying like a baby.
I'm not even a fan (though I've heard about them a bit from my brother who is) but after watching that last game, I was crying too.
And Bill Murray! Just beautiful.

And ED's blood test was awfulsomeless! Awesomeful!

GnomeAnne wrote:On an unrelated note, someone mistook my soon-to-be-trebuchet for scrap metal and made off with it. Art this rate I won't be able to update my avatar to the live action version until spring.
I'll
Spoiler:
wait for it.

macraw83 wrote:And when I got back I joined a Curling club, which is tons of fun for those who have never played that before (my only experience with it was watching it once every 4 years during the winter Olympics).
On this page of interesting things, I want to hear more about this.

GnomeAnne wrote:
micdi wrote:I have no idea why, but for this whole NP i have thought GnomeAnne was KarMann.
Epsilon.
And either apologies, or a "you're welcome".

"You're welcome" definitely.
Heh - I just noticed the avatar. Noice!

ucim wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:I find these so awesomeful, I think I will start a petition to put a measure on the next ballot that anyone who puts a measure on the ballot must come up with a haiku summary of it. It would at least make reading the voter guide more enjoyable.
Would it not be best
to petition in haiku?
Awesomful it is.
Both of you: yes.
Agatha the Awesomeful

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:34 pm UTC

Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

balthasar_s

If I said it can't be done, should you believe me?

Postby balthasar_s » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:47 pm UTC

Pay attention to attachments.

ggh wrote:Ha! Treeish! I should have guessed!

I'm confused.
What should you have guessd?

Whatever the reason, I'm not sure it's really that epsilon. Music is a bit like language - evolving, and less logical than everyone thinks it should be. The musical scales we tend to use now aren't the only ones we could use, even with the notes we've chosen for Western music. And those notes themselves have evolved - before well-temperament, different keys had different characteristics, which would have given B its own unique role. Idiom. Isn't that the catchall official-sounding way of saying "just because"?

I was just surprised that two different notes have the same name. I noticed a few years ago that in some countries "H" is called "B" ok, no problem.
(I didn't know that Ais/Hes was also called B).
Some time ago I was doing this.
I wrote all the notes into the program.
And I noticed that this didn't sound good.
At first I couldn't tell what was wrong.
I called my sister.
Together we found the reason.
The STAF can play two sounds at once.
The song has two lines of music.
One of them was written transposed!
I didn't know.

The two sounds didn't sound good together.
The secound one had to be lowered by two halftones.
It was even written next to it "Bb" - two steps lower than C.
She asked "What IS this Bb?!"
I said something like "B is actually H, do Bb is just one step lower than H.".
And she "No, B is one step lower than H.".
And I "???".

But we figured it out.

When doing another song (there are 6 already and there is still space for about 390 notes) I learned about another thing I didn't know about:
tuplet.
It's made of three notes which together are as long as two regular notes.
So that's a different length which can't be made by joining any of thw regular notes which are powers of two.
I wasn't prepared for this. The program I wrote could only generate regular and dotted notes.
And that song was almost completely made of tuplets.
I could make changes in the program.
But I did something else instead.
I replaced the tuplets with regular notes.
And I replaced regular notes with dotted notes.
By doing this I had the correct length ratios (3 regular notes are as long as 2 dotted notes) but everything was 1.5 times as long as it would be without this trick. So I made the tempo 1.5 times faster. And everything was right.

Very cool that you did the recent TaTmanip/color wikiedits!

I wonder what decided that this is a colored and this a manip.

I also saw that the two words game is added to the list of games.
But I don't think it fits the description "Some forum users have created and played OTC-related games."
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:15 pm UTC

It's all RELATED.
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?

GnomeAnne
Location: [center][img]http://forums.xkcd.com/download/file.php?id=54350&t=1[/img]

modified Yamaha XJ750 Maxim

Postby GnomeAnne » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:23 pm UTC

ggh wrote:
GnomeAnne wrote:Art this rate...
I'll
Spoiler:
wait for it.

Don't you hate it when you make a typographical error, and you don't notice until it has already been quoted by multiple people?
Wait For It.

Quantized

Postby Quantized » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:35 am UTC

As someone who just discovered this thread, and (fairly) recently joined the forum, I am now subjecting myself to one of the most entertaining experiences I have had online as I read this thread from the start, which I also just discovered is called blitzing(?) This is quite the experience, but you guys have quite the thread here. Basically... hi! I'm new here. (To the forum, not to the comic) :D

GnomeAnne
Location: [center][img]http://forums.xkcd.com/download/file.php?id=54350&t=1[/img]

Postby GnomeAnne » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:45 am UTC

Quantized wrote:As someone who just discovered this thread, and (fairly) recently joined the forum, I am now subjecting myself to one of the most entertaining experiences I have had online as I read this thread from the start, which I also just discovered is called blitzing(?) This is quite the experience, but you guys have quite the thread here. Basically... hi! I'm new here. (To the forum, not to the comic) :D

Ooh, yay, hi, welcome.
I also am blitzing the thread and it is indeed entertaining. Have you reached the first madness yet?
The sea is big.
Wait For It.

Quantized

Postby Quantized » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:49 am UTC

Yep! I'm on page 190 at the moment. It got a bit nuts, and I may be skimming over the DST argument, but I am nearing the end of the first madness (I think?) (Sorry if I make mistakes in terms of posting and the such. I'm still figuring out forum etiquette.)

GnomeAnne

Postby GnomeAnne » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:29 am UTC

Quantized wrote:Yep! I'm on page 190 at the moment. It got a bit nuts, and I may be skimming over the DST argument, but I am nearing the end of the first madness (I think?) (Sorry if I make mistakes in terms of posting and the such. I'm still figuring out forum etiquette.)

Skimming? Heresy.
Mrob's dictionary is very helpful in understanding present conversation. I'll post a link once I get home and fire up my computer.
Wait For It.

Quantized

Postby Quantized » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:34 am UTC

GnomeAnne wrote:Skimming? Heresy.
Mrob's dictionary is very helpful in understanding present conversation. I'll post a link once I get home and fire up my computer.

LIGHTLY skimming. I'm still aiming to read as many posts as possible. ("as many as possible" might leave out a few when there are 100k+ posts...) :P
Thanks for the dictionary. No idea what it is, but thanks. :D

GnomeAnne

Postby GnomeAnne » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:39 am UTC

Click here.
Posting from phone, not fun.
Wait For It.

Quantized

Postby Quantized » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:41 am UTC

GnomeAnne wrote: Posting from phone, not fun.

Oh dear, I hope I didn't make you go through too much trouble for that. :( Thanks though. This will be another thing to consume my class time :P

GnomeAnne

Postby GnomeAnne » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:43 am UTC

Indeed :twisted:
The river is small.
Last edited by GnomeAnne on Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:47 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Wait For It.

Quantized

Postby Quantized » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:47 am UTC

Good thing, too... I only have 2335 pages left of the blitz. That's only a couple weeks :P

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:58 am UTC

Quantized wrote:The river is small.
The sea is big!

Welcome Quantized! Glad you discovered the thread - your life is about to change forever. :) And there are many ways to Time; you are welcome here no matter which way you choose. As you have found through personal experience, there are some for whom stepping into the river of Time (not to be confused with the River of Tam) reveals a void in their life which can only be quenched by drinking fully of the One True Thread. The BlitzQuest is perilous and fraught with danger, but brings unimaginable rewards. You will experience Time in its own time, even after Time. And there is Time after Time, and after Time there is even Time before Time. Each of these will be almost as if you were there at its unfolding.

Beware of green "safety hats", don't sccumb to the hazards of the Cookie Clicker (a molpish version gets created soon enough), and we await your Glorious Entry into the Present. Should the road seem long, have a long pint. We will wait for it.

I offer to you, and to all who are on Holy Quest, the Prayer of Strength.
Spoiler:
In the name of the One True Author, in observance of the One True Comic, in the service of the One True Thread, and by witness of the One True Congregation, we humbly open our hearts, our souls, and our schedules in devotion.

The sea is big. We open ourselves up to it.

In devotion, we drink from the One True Thread. In even higher devotion, some of us forsake the present, inviting the river of Time to flow through us and cleanse us until we are sated by the completeness of the past.

The river is small. Although we are smaller, we can, and must, drink from the river of Time.

We humbly ask that the Blessings of Time fall on you and on all our intrepid travellers, True Pilgrims Of Time, that ye be enlightened, uplifted, and granted the Tree of Life.

The tree is neat. Let us live up to it.

[Ong!]

Let us disperse in peace, and worship in awe.

In the name of the One True Author, in observance of the One True Comic, in the service of the One True Thread, Amen.
Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

Quantized

Postby Quantized » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:08 am UTC

The sea is big!

Welcome Quantized! Glad you discovered the thread - your life is about to change forever. :) And there are many ways to Time; you are welcome here no matter which way you choose. As you have found through personal experience, there are some for whom stepping into the river of Time (not to be confused with the River of Tam) reveals a void in their life which can only be quenched by drinking fully of the One True Thread. The BlitzQuest is perilous and fraught with danger, but brings unimaginable rewards. You will experience Time in its own time, even after Time. And there is Time after Time, and after Time there is even Time before Time. Each of these will be almost as if you were there at its unfolding.

Beware of green "safety hats", don't sccumb to the hazards of the Cookie Clicker (a molpish version gets created soon enough), and we await your Glorious Entry into the Present. Should the road seem long, have a long pint. We will wait for it.

I offer to you, and to all who are on Holy Quest, the Prayer of Strength.
Spoiler:
In the name of the One True Author, in observance of the One True Comic, in the service of the One True Thread, and by witness of the One True Congregation, we humbly open our hearts, our souls, and our schedules in devotion.

The sea is big. We open ourselves up to it.

In devotion, we drink from the One True Thread. In even higher devotion, some of us forsake the present, inviting the river of Time to flow through us and cleanse us until we are sated by the completeness of the past.

The river is small. Although we are smaller, we can, and must, drink from the river of Time.

We humbly ask that the Blessings of Time fall on you and on all our intrepid travellers, True Pilgrims Of Time, that ye be enlightened, uplifted, and granted the Tree of Life.

The tree is neat. Let us live up to it.

[Ong!]

Let us disperse in peace, and worship in awe.

In the name of the One True Author, in observance of the One True Comic, in the service of the One True Thread, Amen.
Jose

Thank you for that kind greeting. I look forward to being a helpful member of such a vibrant community. Although, if you plan to wait for me to fully catch up to the present, you may want to take a seat. It's going to be a while... but Time is something I think I will enjoy passing here. :)

thunk

Re: 1190: "The Quanah Prize for Adaptability"

Postby thunk » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:24 am UTC

Hello quantized.

The blitz will take a long time of course.
But it's worth it. Even if, like me, you haven't completed it yet.

I am, for one, trying my best to keep Link's advice in mind. Though there's too much chirping writing--or more technically, a reasonable amount of writing, except I'm not sure what I'm doing and have to revise a lot of things tomorrow. Oh well. Two weeks to go, and most of my classes are in very good shape.
Free markets, free movement, free plops
Blitz on, my friends Quantized, GnomeAnne, and iskinner!
troo dat

karhell

Postby karhell » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:18 am UTC

Welcome, Quantized, Revealer The Recent !
Have fun on your blitz, and enjoy the journey. As for that taking a while, don't worry. You've probably already guessed so, but we're pretty experienced when it comes to waiting (for it) ^^
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
lmjb1964 wrote:We're weird but it's okay.
ColletArrow, katakissa, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!

ggh

Re: modified Yamaha XJ750 Maxim

Postby ggh » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:01 pm UTC

Hi Quantized! Randallspeed!

GnomeAnne wrote:
ggh wrote:
GnomeAnne wrote:Art this rate...
I'll
Spoiler:
wait for it.

Don't you hate it when you make a typographical error, and you don't notice until it has already been quoted by multiple people?
Trying to pass your pun off as a typo? Did you think you'd get away with it?
Spoiler:

balthasar_s wrote:Pay attention to attachments.
Hmm... nothing is leaping out at me. How far back do we have to go?

balthasar_s wrote:
ggh wrote:Ha! Treeish! I should have guessed!
I'm confused.
What should you have guessd?
What the movie would be.

balthasar_s wrote:I was just surprised that two different notes have the same name.
Yeah, I had the same trouble with yams. Also lemonade, bacon, and my fanny.

Nice workaround for the tuplets! :)

balthasar_s wrote:Very cool that you did the recent TaTmanip/color wikiedits!

I wonder what decided that this is a colored and this a manip.
I did. ;)
Spoiler:
Seriously though, I'm not sure where to draw the line either. The great majority of what we consider OTColored are image manipulations, and a good many Manips incorporate colour, so the key is not in the names. To me, Manips are changing the meaning/intent of the comic for humour or to be a medium for something else that's going on in the thread. I think Coloreds are something made primarily to be purty while mostly respecting the original context of the OTC. The earliest, and most undeniably appropriate, OTColoreds provided a fitting background beyond the narrow slice of depth, and from there they branched out to, er, less fitting backgrounds and wilder interpretations, while still not altering the basic meaning of the OTC. But with wilder interpretations, came the grey areas and the border cases.... There's so much I want to discuss and ask about, but now is not the night.

But to get back to your original question: I thought that first image was propagating the TATColored I had made into a RELATED frame, which was still about BFTF, whereas the second image was primarily a shoutout to me.
Agatha the Awesomeful

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:57 pm UTC

ggh wrote:Yeah, I had the same trouble with yams. Also lemonade, bacon, and my fanny.
You have two different fannies with the same name?

ggh wrote: OTColoreds provided a fitting background beyond the narrow slice of depth, and from there they branched out to, er, less fitting backgrounds and wilder interpretations, while still not altering the basic meaning of the OTC. But with wilder interpretations, came the grey areas
I find it ironic that OTTcoloreds introduce grey areas. Perhaps manips that introduce color should be called OTTgreys.

Quantized wrote:Although, if you plan to wait for me to fully catch up to the present, you may want to take a seat.
Well, we do have the comfy chair. :) In any case, we're good at waiting for it. And if you decide to schitzoblitz (remaining in the present while also blitzing) we can have our cake donut while waiting for it.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

balthasar_s

and post titles too?

Postby balthasar_s » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:42 pm UTC

ggh wrote:Nice workaround for the tuplets! :)

I would like to tell a bit more of the sound playing program design.
There are two sound channels. So each song consists of two sets of notes.

A set of notes is an array of 16 bit numbers. Each note is represented by a 16 bit number.
The program interprets the note, plays it, and then goes to the next one. And so on.
The mechanism is very similar to a processor reading and executing assembly instructions.
Especially, that there are also special case "notes":
like a repetition (equivalent of a conditional jump instruction) or a stop (HCF)

How are the notes encoded?
The 4 biggest bits define what note it is (equivalent of the opcode):
values from 0 to 9 define the length:
0 - regular 1/16, 1 - dotted 1/16, 2 - regular 1/8, 3 - dotted 1/8, 4 - regular 1/4, 5 - dotted 1/4, 6 - regular 1/2, 7 - dotted 1/2, 8 - regular full, 9 - dotted full.
values from 10 to 15 are not regular notes, they have special meaning:
10 - tempo change, 11 - restart from beginning, 12 - stop playing, 13 - repeat start, 14 - repeat end, 15 - not used.
The meaning of the rest of the bits depends on the first four.
If it's a regular note, the next 1 bit define if this note is continued.
the value of 0 means that the next note will be a continuation of this one and they should be played as one longer note. 1 means that this note is not connected to the next one.
The next 11 bits define the pitch of the note.
How?
There is a counter which is incremented in regular short time intervals. If the counter counts up to this 11 bit value then the squarewave output is changed from 0 to 1 or from 1 to 0 and the counter is reset.
So a low value means a high pitch and a high value means a low pitch.
A special case is 0 which means silence.
I could have it encoded similar to the lengths, for example C0 = 1, C#0/Db0 = 2, D0 = 3, etc.
But this would not allow me to fit the note in less than two bytes anyway so there was no point in doing this and so I used the values directly.
It would make sense if I needed more than 11 bytes (for example with a higher sample rate, but the device's limitations don't allow it).

Now the special values.
10: Tempo change - when the program encounters this, the tempo is changed. Each song has an array with n*10 elements which represent the lengths of the notes.
Initially, the 0th element represents the length of the 1/16 note, the 1st the length of dotted 1/16 etc.
After encountering the tempo change instruction the indexes are increased by 10. 0 becomes 11, 1, becomes 12, etc.
In other words, the next set of 10 note lengths is chosen.
The note lengths are implemented similarly to the frequencies:
another counter is incereased in regular small time intervals. If it counts up to the note length value then the program moves to the next note and the counter its reset.

11: start from the beginning. When this is encountered then the channel starts playing from the first note. also its tempo is reset to the initial one.

12: stop. When this is encountered the channel stops playing sounds.

13. repeat start. This marks the start of a block that should be repeated multiple times.
The bits 8 and 9 represent the repeat ID. There are 4 independent repeats: 0, 1, 2, 3. They are used by both channels. So it's not a good idea to insert repeats with the same ID to both channels. in the bits 0-7 is the number of how many times it should be repeated.
After encountering this instruction the program remembers the repeat start position and sets the repeat counter to the value of the lowest 8 bits.

14. repeat stop. This marks the end of a block that should be repeated multiple times.
The bits 8 and 9 represent the repeat ID. The bit 11 represents conditionality. 1 means a normal repeat. 0 means an unconditional repeat (forever).
The action after encountering this depends on the current repeat counter state. If it's 0 then the program continues as if there was no repeat.
Otherwise it jumps back to the remembered position of the repeat block start (actually one after it - no need to jumping into the start mark) and the counter is decreased.

15. is not defined. It's ignored.

How the sound is generated?
an RTC clock is connected to the microcontroller via SPI and on GPIO pin.
It's configured to generate a 4096Hz signal on this pin.
Each rising edge triggers an interrupt.
In each interrupt 2 note length counters are increased. One for each channel. If the counter reaches the note length value then the program goes to the next note.

The microcontroller has a so called watchdog timer. It's configured to trigger an interrupt with a frequency of 46875 Hz (6MHz/128).
In each interrupt two note pitch counters are increased. If the counter reaches the note pitch value then the output of that channel is switched from 0 to 1 or from 1 to 0.

The microcontroller has a timer which can be configured as a PWM generator which drives the outpun pin connected to the speaker.
It's configured to count to 1. So it counts very quickly: 0, 1, 0, 1, 0, 1, 0, 1, ... There are three types of action to perform everytime the counter reaches 1:
- change the output to 0. So it stays at 0 constantly. Because there is no other event that would change the output.
- change the output to 1. So it stays at 1 constantly.
- change the output to opposite state. This results in a 1.5MHz signal. Because the timer is clocked by a 6MHz clock and the output is 0,0,1,1,0,0,1,1,...

In the watchdog interrupt everytime one of the channels' output changes, the pwm generator mode is updated:
- if both are 0 then it generates 0 (0V).
- if both are 1 then it generates 1 (3V).
- if one is 0 and the other is 1 then it generates the 1.5MHz PWM signal.

1.5MHz much is too fast for the speaker to keep up with. So it behaves as if the average (1.5V) was present.

This way it can play music with two different squarewave notes at the same time on one digital output pin.

ETA: if you want to take a look at the source, it is here:
http://1190.bicyclesonthemoon.info/staf/pwm.zip
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:56 pm UTC

Hello! RAZOR has been keeping me busy as usual, trying to observe and relocate all the various raptors and zombies. I have much ketchup, but I'll say a belated Happy TurkeyMolp Day to those who celebrated it, and a Happy Last ThursdipH to those who don't. :D

I did see we have a new Revealer the Recent. Awesomeful! Welcome, Quantized!

Love the new outfit, karhell. :)

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

ggh

Postby ggh » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:07 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
ggh wrote:Yeah, I had the same trouble with yams. Also lemonade, bacon, and my fanny.
I do. But you do not.
If you think playing an H when you need a Bb sounds bad, try talking about your "fanny pack" where they speak British English.

ucim wrote:... we can have our cake donut while waiting for it.
Spoiler:
Agatha the Awesomeful

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:19 pm UTC

ggh wrote:
ucim wrote:
I do. But you do not.

If you think playing an H when you need a Bb sounds bad, try talking about your "fanny pack" where they speak British English.

:azule: to both comments. :D I have experience with the latter. Actually, I guess I have experience with both...

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:15 am UTC

ggh wrote:If you think playing an H when you need a Bb sounds bad, try talking about your "fanny pack" where they speak British English.

For me, chocolate acts as a fanny pack. Oooh, heresy! Time for the comfy chair and the S&Ms.

Jose

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:32 am UTC

RSIR?
Spoiler:
Nope.
chainsaw.jpg

redunda1.jpg

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

Eternal Density

Re: 1190: "Time to remember how to speak OTish"

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:09 am UTC

So this https://timelessriver.net/grapechannel/ is my replacement for GrapevineGrapevine chat. It's still got a lot of development to do. Currently it doesn't filter or change your words by default, but you can get a similar effect by typing /whitelist at the beginning of a message. I'm thinking of using the mrobdex to build an OTTer vocabulary for OTTish chat channels.
BTW you don't need to create an account to use it. You get given a random username. Currently you can't change it but I'll add that soon.
There's lots of nifty features to find. Type /help for a list. A lot is based off IRC.
The <comoutery stuff> that makes it work is https://channels.readthedocs.io/en/stable/
I gave a talk about it to a riverish group of local Python develpers yesderdip. It was molpish.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

ergman

Postby ergman » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:29 am UTC

Ooh, New Blitzer! You're going in the signature! The first time you see it in the past, consider it a beacon and let us know your progress. Too many blitzers get lost along the road and the first official beacon isn't for a long long ways.

edit: I had to optimize the character count of my signature to fit more people in. I feel like a twat1

1One who uses twitter
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

addams

Re: 1190: "Time to remember how to speak OTish"

Postby addams » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:04 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:So this https://timelessriver.net/grapechannel/ is my replacement for GrapevineGrapevine chat. It's still got a lot of development to do. Currently it doesn't filter or change your words by default, but you can get a similar effect by typing /whitelist at the beginning of a message. I'm thinking of using the mrobdex to build an OTTer vocabulary for OTTish chat channels.
BTW you don't need to create an account to use it. You get given a random username. Currently you can't change it but I'll add that soon.
There's lots of nifty features to find. Type /help for a list. A lot is based off IRC.
The <comoutery stuff> that makes it work is https://channels.readthedocs.io/en/stable/
I gave a talk about it to a riverish group of local Python develpers yesderdip. It was mopish.
oh, ED; I tried. I failed.
That is too sophisticated for me.
Or; Chat is something I don't know.

I hope you have a wonder-full-woofy Time with all The Channels.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Quantized

Postby Quantized » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:38 am UTC

ergman wrote:Ooh, New Blitzer! You're going in the signature! The first time you see it in the past, consider it a beacon and let us know your progress. Too many blitzers get lost along the road and the first official beacon isn't for a long long ways.

Noted, will do. Still crawling along (at page 225 now, with the religious battles fading into the far past) but I look forward to the beacon. I'm honoured to be in the sig :P

ZoomanSP

Postby ZoomanSP » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:38 am UTC

New OtherComic.

Hi Quantized! Welcome, and Randallspeed on your blitz.
Wait on.

Spoiler:

mscha

1190: "Time" - Time Randomly Revisited - np269

Postby mscha » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:00 am UTC

WAVERONGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
(Colorization by Tedisme.)

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:IF THWAPSTICKS ARE THE WIPENDS OF THE BLITZROCKET, AND WIPENDS ARE THE NEWPIXBOTTIFICATIONS OF THE LEML, WHY ARE WE STILL CH*RPING THWAPSTICKS?

-- posted by randompixbot

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”