Page 405 of 2681

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:55 am UTC
by azule
Time for a footnoteless` somewhat friendly commaless comaless rant for the middle of the night USA Time.
What do I love about this thread? Hah it's my only thread I comment in right now. It's like asking what do I love about my home. "It keeps the weather out of my eyes." I guess this keeps most of the fora weather out of my face. Nice people. Even Davidy was pretty nice. He gave us movie references called us inane (a fun word). It's like a fun house mirror or the magical mirror that talks. Now we know what we really look like. Only real friends tell you that you look like shit and need to brush your teeth. Thanks bros. The top posters are fun (hehe I'm gonna put you posters on my wall :twisted: ) but the onesies are fun too. I hope the popular kids like me but the newbs approval is almost a bit better. They don't respond much so it's nearly more meaningful to hear their comments on your comments on the popular kids comments. I think it would be cool to have a posse of them. If any yung'ins want to be in my posse let me know and I'll hook you up in my sig. Cool kids are allowed to join too. If no one joins that's okay I like imaginary posses anyways. :cry:





`The less footnotes, the less it is a word. Bad Firefox, no more cookies for you!

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:00 am UTC
by Flotter
COCK-A-DOODLE-DONG!1
Image

1The Register

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:06 am UTC
by lmjb1964
Oh well, too slow. Just missed the DONG.

Buffygirl, I said how much I loved the hat, but I don't think I ever said THANK YOU! And I don't know what I did to get moved up in the cueue (sic), but thanks. I thought someone should give you something, so I wrote a haiku for you:

Buffygirl makes hats
And they're really fabulous.
We love Buffygirl!

And with that, I must coma. Who know what in TIme I will wake up to tomorrow...

Edited to fix weird typo that I have no idea how it happened. (Ok, that is not good grammar.)

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:12 am UTC
by Eoink
Delurking briefly to say I'm thinking of getting a t-shirt made with my favourite frames of the OTC displayed in a column below my right armpit. On the front it will simply read "Time is on my side, yes it is".

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:15 am UTC
by KarMann
Eoink wrote:Delurking briefly to say I'm thinking of getting a t-shirt made with my favourite frames of the OTC displayed in a column below my right armpit. On the front it will simply read "Time is on my side, yes it is".

*groan* :lol:

Added: In case y'all might overlook it, there are still a couple of darkened pixels over on the left that I presume to be Cueball's heel & hand as he exits, stage left. So, not quite one of those devoid-of-characters times yet, but it seems likely that next NewPix might be.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:24 am UTC
by higgs-boson
Flotter wrote:COCK-A-DOODLE-DONG! Yes, I read the Register
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/time/5df071 ... f7a662.png

This may be the picture we're looking at for the next Outside days. With small changes on sea level or dropping grains.
sigh.


Eliram wrote:[...] and I promise to be a good Jewish pope for the rest of this page.
Thank you!
Wait, what? And female? Yay, תהו־ובהו* ! *happily hopping around* :-)**


*There are not much words or phrases in my language I recognise as being derived from Hebrew. This is one. I like it, even if the meaning has changed. Would be interesting to learn: What's the Native's current interpretation of the phrase?
**On the other hand: The Time Followers don't care much about the restrictions of certain Outside religions. We should invent some of our own. E.g.: The Pope must not, never ever, have written the word "superasteromegalomaniacroflcopter" (disqualifying me at once, now). The Pope must not be a native Latin speaker (which would not be that hard to fulfil). The Pope must not be older than 1190 months (given the fact that the average 100 year old guy*** may ideed cultivate Time Following, this should be put to discussion). The Pope must wear a hat. ...
***Female guys included.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:25 am UTC
by Jonas79
I'm confused, why do they need bags to find out why the sea is rising? The suggestion of sandbags sounds wrong, you can't measure with those...

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:28 am UTC
by Khrushy
Jonas79 wrote:I'm confused, why do they need bags to find out why the sea is rising? The suggestion of sandbags sounds wrong, you can't measure with those...

I like the aforementioned idea of bodybags.

Either that or bags of this, and they're going to try and stop that pesky ocean rising once and for all (although it actually doesn't work in the ocean due to the salt).

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:38 am UTC
by Angelastic
I can't tell if you're all joking/drank too much semencoffeecancerbabies or you actually didn't think of the possibility they're simply going to pack some bags for their journey.

I wonder if they will be surprised at how big the world (which might be the world of Click and Drag, and also might be giant) is.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:00 am UTC
by Jonas79
BILLABONG1

Image

1I know I've already used this, but I LIKE Billabong 8-)

Edit: Getting bags might take some time, so we might be looking at the sea slowly rising for the next couple of longpix?

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:05 am UTC
by Eliram
higgs-boson wrote:
Eliram wrote:[...] and I promise to be a good Jewish pope for the rest of this page.
Thank you!
Wait, what? And female? Yay, תהו־ובהו* ! *happily hopping around* :-)**


*There are not much words or phrases in my language I recognise as being derived from Hebrew. This is one. I like it, even if the meaning has changed. Would be interesting to learn: What's the Native's current interpretation of the phrase?
**On the other hand: The Time Followers don't care much about the restrictions of certain Outside religions. We should invent some of our own. E.g.: The Pope must not, never ever, have written the word "superasteromegalomaniacroflcopter" (disqualifying me at once, now). The Pope must not be a native Latin speaker (which would not be that hard to fulfil). The Pope must not be older than 1190 months (given the fact that the average 100 year old guy*** may ideed cultivate Time Following, this should be put to discussion). The Pope must wear a hat. ...
***Female guys included.

Jewish, yes. Female? no.
תהו־ובהו means chaos and is taken from the second sentence in the bible. It doesn't mean "a big mess" but rather more like "entropy". There are those who claim that this refers to the universe's state right after the big bang, others claim that the sea is big.

So, what's in the white box on the first platform? And where is the other box from frame 443?

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:16 am UTC
by squonk
I predict that they'll remain out of sight for many newpix.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:18 am UTC
by SPACKlick
Eliram wrote:
So, what's in the white box on the first platform? And where is the other box from frame 443?

How have I not noticed that before, TO AUBRONWOOD to search history for the appearance and disappearance of boxes.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:26 am UTC
by Jonas79
SPACKlick wrote:
Eliram wrote:
So, what's in the white box on the first platform? And where is the other box from frame 443?

How have I not noticed that before, TO AUBRONWOOD to search history for the appearance and disappearance of boxes.


I thought the boxes were for strings or nails to keep the boards together?

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:32 am UTC
by SPACKlick
The journey of the box from 431

432: Megan enters carrying the box
433: Megan sets the box to the right of the Middle (recursive topped) castle
434-474: Box sits there while Megan and cueball begin constructing the scaffolding about it
475: Megan picks up the box
476: Megan puts the box atop the left side of the scaffolding
477-524: Box sits on scaffolding while more scaffolding is built around it and water is tasted
525: Cueball throws a rope on the box
526-544: Box rests atop the scaffolding
545: Cueball throws another rope on the box
547: Box is moved to right of central scaffolding
559: Cueball takes ropes off box to build more scaffolding
639: Megan disturbs the box by moving a plank on the scaffolding
640: Megan looks in the box? Or at the box?
641: Megan is trailing a rope past the box, did she get it out of the box? Is it a toolbox? A box of ropes?
642: rope appears on the box
643: Cueball is using that rope to build more scaffolding
709: Cueball rests a plank on the box
717: Megan removes that plank as Cuedball rests the base of another plank against the box
720: That plank is now raised by cueball standing astride the box
798-801: LaPetite enters and does not interact with the box

So a box o ropes Maybe?

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:43 am UTC
by Eliram
SPACKlick wrote:The journey of the box from 431

432: Megan enters carrying the box
433: Megan sets the box to the right of the Middle (recursive topped) castle
434-474: Box sits there while Megan and cueball begin constructing the scaffolding about it
475: Megan picks up the box
476: Megan puts the box atop the left side of the scaffolding
477-524: Box sits on scaffolding while more scaffolding is built around it and water is tasted
525: Cueball throws a rope on the box
526-544: Box rests atop the scaffolding
545: Cueball throws another rope on the box
547: Box is moved to right of central scaffolding
559: Cueball takes ropes off box to build more scaffolding
639: Megan disturbs the box by moving a plank on the scaffolding
640: Megan looks in the box? Or at the box?
641: Megan is trailing a rope past the box, did she get it out of the box? Is it a toolbox? A box of ropes?
642: rope appears on the box
643: Cueball is using that rope to build more scaffolding
709: Cueball rests a plank on the box
717: Megan removes that plank as Cuedball rests the base of another plank against the box
720: That plank is now raised by cueball standing astride the box
798-801: LaPetite enters and does not interact with the box

So a box o ropes Maybe?

I don't think so. There is no real newpix showing ropes actually taken from box. Besides:

430: Megan brings ropes. Two newpix BEFORE she brings the box.
443: Megan brings another box, never to be seen again since.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:00 am UTC
by KarMann
DING A DING DANG, MY DANG A LONG LING LONG!1
Image

Added: 1 Source: Jesus Built My Hotrod

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:01 am UTC
by Neil_Boekend
How'd you see a difference?

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:02 am UTC
by Jonas79
I was about to post that, but wasn't sure it had changed... So, sea level pixels changed?

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:05 am UTC
by KarMann
Neil_Boekend wrote:How'd you see a difference?

I looked at the hash itself; that was the only way. I'm about to check pixels now . . . .

Added: Pixels definitely darkening on the sea's surface, on both sides of the latest seawall.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:09 am UTC
by Magdiragdag
Water's rising everywhere...
Sea.jpg

Edit:
There was no water rise under the arch back when it still existed, so the current rise behind the dam can't be groundwater. So it seems like the dam doesn't hold back the water, whereas a castle tower can. Or maybe it was the flag that held back the sea.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:22 am UTC
by Jonas79
Hope they come back before the sea starts to destroy more of the castle...

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:31 am UTC
by manvandmaan
Magdiragdag wrote:Water's rising everywhere...
Sea.jpg

Edit:
There was no water rise under the arch back when it still existed, so the current rise behind the dam can't be groundwater. So it seems like the dam doesn't hold back the water, whereas a castle tower can. Or maybe it was the flag that held back the sea.

So, the flags are magic?
Cool.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:32 am UTC
by Flado
Jonas79 wrote:Hope they come back before the sea starts to destroy more of the castle...

Don't count on them - my hope lies with La Petite

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:45 am UTC
by Jonas79
Flado wrote:
Jonas79 wrote:Hope they come back before the sea starts to destroy more of the castle...

Don't count on them - my hope lies with La Petite


Yes, maybe La Petite™ will save the day :D She did arrive shortly after my wife and I found out that we were expecting, which is always a good sign :D

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:53 am UTC
by Flotter
Jonas79 wrote:
Flado wrote:
Jonas79 wrote:Hope they come back before the sea starts to destroy more of the castle...

Don't count on them - my hope lies with La Petite


Yes, maybe La Petite™ will save the day :D She did arrive shortly after my wife and I found out that we were expecting, which is always a good sign :D

Congratulations!

Picking a name should be fairly easy, with so few options available. Cueball or Randall for a boy, Megan, La Petite or BlitzGirl for a girl ;)

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:54 am UTC
by higgs-boson
Jonas79 wrote:[...]Yes, maybe La Petite™ will save the day :D [...]

I fear there will be a much more dramatic pause of rising waters before La Petite will save any days.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:55 am UTC
by Flado
Jonas79 wrote:Yes, maybe La Petite™ will save the day :D She did arrive shortly after my wife and I found out that we were expecting, which is always a good sign :D

Well then, if it's a girl, you already have the (nick)name, yes? Congratulations to you and your wife! She should start knitting that béret, then :-)

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:00 am UTC
by Jonas79
Image

Image

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:03 am UTC
by Jonas79
Flotter wrote:Congratulations!

Picking a name should be fairly easy, with so few options available. Cueball or Randall for a boy, Megan, La Petite or BlitzGirl for a girl ;)


Flado wrote:Well then, if it's a girl, you already have the (nick)name, yes? Congratulations to you and your wife! She should start knitting that béret, then :-)


Thanks :) Let's see if it's a girl. That would be eery forecasting :D And yes, we do need a béret.

Edit: Sorry all for the double post.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:05 am UTC
by Eliram
Jonas79 wrote:
Flado wrote:
Jonas79 wrote:Hope they come back before the sea starts to destroy more of the castle...

Don't count on them - my hope lies with La Petite


Yes, maybe La Petite™ will save the day :D She did arrive shortly after my wife and I found out that we were expecting, which is always a good sign :D

Congratulations! As pope-of-this-page, I bless you and your family with good fortune for all time. :-)
... and now you'll really have to wait for it.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:07 am UTC
by Jonas79
Eliram wrote:Congratulations! As pope-of-this-page, I bless you and your family with good fortune for all time. :-)
... and now you'll really have to wait for it.


Thank you your holiness! :)

Edit: Bad quoting.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:09 am UTC
by Wee Red Bird
They may come back with a boat. We may have some sideways panning to the sea, or probably a few frames of them dragging the boat past the castle and several unchanging frames till they return.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:25 am UTC
by Latent22
RobIrr wrote:
Latent22 wrote:My only guess is that the images may be hosted on different physical servers and so depending on dns or other load balancing measures we can be downloading different versions of the comic frames at different times. And different servers may have different time stamps in the images.


Well there seem to be three different servers at least in DNS... could be more, hiding behind a front-end.

Code: Select all

# nslookup imgs.xkcd.com
imgs.xkcd.com   canonical name = 2930-xkcdimgs.voxcdn.com.
Name:   2930-xkcdimgs.voxcdn.com
Address: 72.26.217.136
Name:   2930-xkcdimgs.voxcdn.com
Address: 208.122.31.17
Name:   2930-xkcdimgs.voxcdn.com
Address: 72.26.217.137

Interesting. Here I get different addresses

Code: Select all

Name:    2930-xkcdimgs.voxcdn.com
Addresses:  107.6.92.100
          107.6.88.170
          107.6.88.168
Aliases:  imgs.xkcd.com


Not sure if It's location based and we get different servers here in New Zealand.

Also congratulations Jonas79! Please don't call the baby La Petite if its a girl. Especially if your last name is Mort! No real kid deserves that!

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:26 am UTC
by Bytes
My prediction:

Cueball and Megan are going exploring round the world. This may take them several months in outside time. We start to forget the OTC but then, several hundred newpixs from now, they'll come back.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:37 am UTC
by Angelastic
A baby girl would wear a bébéret :D

Has anyone suggested that LaPetite's name is River? She is small. The C-ball is big.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:38 am UTC
by Latent22
Bytes wrote:My prediction:

Cueball and Megan are going exploring round the world. This may take them several months in outside time. We start to forget the OTC but then, several hundred newpixs from now, they'll come back.


Maybe this is all an experiment to see how long we will just sit here waiting for it...

I give it 10 years

Another option is that Randall is saying that by C/M going off to see what's out in the real world that we should do the same. But that is just heresy because we are meant to wait for it. Even thou we have no idea what it is. This is the basis of all true faiths!

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:39 am UTC
by Tass
Good news everyone!

The slowdown of Blitzgirl seems to have ceased. The past hundred NewPages her progress has been surprisingly linear. I am therefore confident in projecting The Great Meeting to take place before the of the current century (100 NewPages). It looks like we'll be able to enjoy the second half of the first millpagium1 together.

1-ennium comes from annum meaning year, and had to be changed.2
2 Century on the other hand can be a hundred of anything.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:39 am UTC
by XonqNopp
Latent22 wrote:
RobIrr wrote:Well there seem to be three different servers at least in DNS... could be more, hiding behind a front-end.

Code: Select all

# nslookup imgs.xkcd.com
imgs.xkcd.com   canonical name = 2930-xkcdimgs.voxcdn.com.
Name:   2930-xkcdimgs.voxcdn.com
Address: 72.26.217.136
Name:   2930-xkcdimgs.voxcdn.com
Address: 208.122.31.17
Name:   2930-xkcdimgs.voxcdn.com
Address: 72.26.217.137

Interesting. Here I get different addresses

Code: Select all

Name:    2930-xkcdimgs.voxcdn.com
Addresses:  107.6.92.100
          107.6.88.170
          107.6.88.168
Aliases:  imgs.xkcd.com


Not sure if It's location based and we get different servers here in New Zealand.


So, for me (Europe, Ubuntu, Firefox and what-else-can-this-consider-to-choose... Or is it time-based?):

Code: Select all

$ nslookup imgs.xkcd.com
Server:      127.0.0.1
Address:   127.0.0.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
imgs.xkcd.com   canonical name = 2930-xkcdimgs.voxcdn.com.
Name:   2930-xkcdimgs.voxcdn.com
Address: 69.9.191.19
Name:   2930-xkcdimgs.voxcdn.com
Address: 69.9.191.20
Name:   2930-xkcdimgs.voxcdn.com
Address: 74.63.52.169

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:40 am UTC
by mscha
Latent22 wrote:
Spoiler:
RobIrr wrote:
Latent22 wrote:My only guess is that the images may be hosted on different physical servers and so depending on dns or other load balancing measures we can be downloading different versions of the comic frames at different times. And different servers may have different time stamps in the images.


Well there seem to be three different servers at least in DNS... could be more, hiding behind a front-end.

Code: Select all

# nslookup imgs.xkcd.com
imgs.xkcd.com   canonical name = 2930-xkcdimgs.voxcdn.com.
Name:   2930-xkcdimgs.voxcdn.com
Address: 72.26.217.136
Name:   2930-xkcdimgs.voxcdn.com
Address: 208.122.31.17
Name:   2930-xkcdimgs.voxcdn.com
Address: 72.26.217.137

Interesting. Here I get different addresses

Code: Select all

Name:    2930-xkcdimgs.voxcdn.com
Addresses:  107.6.92.100
          107.6.88.170
          107.6.88.168
Aliases:  imgs.xkcd.com

Not sure if It's location based and we get different servers here in New Zealand.

Yup, that's exactly what a CDN is for.