Page 455 of 2681

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:28 pm UTC
by Someguy945
A thought, sorry if it has been posted already.

http://xkcd.com/1205/

Updating the "Time" comic probably involved (or still involves) all kinds of repetitive manual tasks for Randall, so he created this chart to help him figure out what he should automate.

If this guess is correct, it would be a hint that "Time" will last 5 years.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:29 pm UTC
by TheMinim
Someguy945 wrote:If this guess is correct, it would be a hint that "Time" will last 5 years.


Yay! :D :D :D :D

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:29 pm UTC
by yappobiscuits
poxic wrote:
mscha wrote:¹: you know, like Brangelina.

I might prefer Cuegan.

I'm actually rather fond of "Megball"... although it sounds like an obscure sport of some kind... still, got a ring to it.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:30 pm UTC
by BlitzGirl
AluisioASG wrote:EDIT: BlitzGirl: please ignore all my two previously proposed titles. I'd feel honored if you accepted to be the “Archetypal Time Waiter”.


Which two were those? The title wave has disoriented me a little. Plus lack of coma.

StratPlayer wrote:Well, I won't provide that... um, other thing.. but how about some Ice-Babby?*


*And I deeeeeeply apologize for this... :oops:


Out of terrible, terrible curiosity, I googled the lyrics. And this section, wow, this section:

Vanilla Ice wrote:Now that the party is jumping
With the bass kicked in, the Vegas are pumpin'
Quick to the point, to the point no faking
I'm cooking MC's like a pound of bacon
Burning them if they're not quick and nimble
I go crazy when I hear a cymbal
And a hi hat with a souped up tempo

Is Vanilla Ice a Time traveller, too? :shock:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:31 pm UTC
by StratPlayer
TheMinim wrote:
descor wrote:For all UK (& Eire, I guess) readers, all I need to say so you do not click that link is: Jedward.


I am duly warned and will avoid the link. Thanks for the warning.


Saved by international separation of YouTube: "The uploader has not made this video available in your country."

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:31 pm UTC
by buffygirl
VoronX wrote:Gee Willikers, all these hats has got me seriously jealous. Buffygirl, can I have one too? Should it be a Haida hat to match my sig?

Current Hat Queue Mob is full. I have added you to the phqmm*

*pre-hat-queue-mob-mob

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:34 pm UTC
by lmjb1964
Still seven pages behind, but I thought I'd post this walltext now. (Ok, I'm trying to up my number of posts. I think I went from #32 to #33.)

AluisioASG wrote:
Angelastic wrote:I give to BlitzGirl
a hug the size of the sea.
Good to see you Now.

You're going to suffocate her this way.


'Cause, you know, it's...wait, what is it again?...oh right, big.

BlitzGirl wrote:
Eliram wrote:Great to have you here, BlitzGirl! It was a race fitting for an action movie. I wonder who will play your role...

Oh, I hope it's Summer Glau!


I would so see that movie.

katakombe wrote:
Spoiler:
BlitzGirl wrote:Ooh, at this point any drink would be welcome! Thank you!


so, then, here is some mint water to quench your thirst and refresh you
Image

and i got Door from Neverwhere to serve you some Atlantean wine. i thought wine saved from a sunken city is somehow fitting.
Image


Oh, good, I'm glad katakombe had a beverage to offer you. This leftover nut punch is getting pretty ripe.

Blitzgirl, thanks for the bagels!

jjjdavidson wrote:All I can think now is that, as this timeframe ends, all over North America bosses are going to be walking into offices to find their subordinates staring rapt at a blank white rectangle on the screen, maybe leaning in close and weaving back and forth. Reminds me of an ancient Dilbert where it has become impossible to tell the behavior of technophiles from that of babbling idiots.


Ha!

More wonderful Time parodies:

rvloon wrote:
Spoiler:
One day we'll find IT
That OTC connection
The Readers, the Milliners, the Graphers,
the Poets, the Lurkers, the Musicians,
the Geologists, the Historians, the Linguists,
the Imagicians, the Clergy, the Knights,
the Archivists and the Whatnot and me
All of us under IT's spell you know that IT is probably magic


BlitzGirl wrote:
Spoiler:
Thanks VoronX and macraw83! And as a reply to jjjdavidson:

White Newpix
[i](to the tune of White Christmas)

I'm staring at a white Newpix
Not like the ones I used to know
Made my sad eyes glisten
And Waiters listen
To hear the DONG and watch the show

I'm staring at a white Newpix
With every PresentPost I write
May your thoughts stay merry and bright
And may Time
Fade back once more from white


peewee_RotA wrote:
Spoiler:
THE END IS NEAR! RE-PAINT, RE-PAINT! THE KING DUMB OF HEY VAN IS AT STAN!

Image


This was great. I LOVED that book when I was little. Still do, actually. :D

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:39 pm UTC
by Caswallon
buffygirl wrote:
VoronX wrote:Gee Willikers, all these hats has got me seriously jealous. Buffygirl, can I have one too? Should it be a Haida hat to match my sig?

Current Hat Queue Mob is full. I have added you to the phqmm*
*pre-hat-queue-mob-mob

Ooooh Ooooh! Perfect time for me to ask for a hat1! Once the phqmm is full, I would like to be added to the pphqmmqm2

1Does not actually need a hat, as my current avatar is almost entirely unhattable.
2pre-pre-queue-mob-mob-queue-mob

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:42 pm UTC
by Millah
Does the person who maintains the xkcd.aubronwood.com site still check this thread? If so, I think (s)he should update the page to show the original posting time of each frame. Would be helpful for those of us who can't follow the comic closely in real time.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:43 pm UTC
by Angelastic
TheMinim wrote:*gets all excited over bacon*

All right, now we have both coffee and bacon! Now for the...uh...um. Let's stick with the coffee and bacon. And maybe some ice would also be okay.[/quote]

If TheMinim is a male, I think you might be too late to keep the other thing off the bacon.

StratPlayer wrote:Saved by international separation of YouTube: "The uploader has not made this video available in your country."
I've noticed (from a few things I've uploaded that happened to have a bit of this in the background) that YouTube's copyright rules also protect people in Germany from Rickrolls. :)

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:48 pm UTC
by woods
I have been lurking since the beginning of Time (Us lurkers are hiding around every corner). I was there for the single darkening pixel, for the mini-trebuchet, for the journey of Blitzgirl, and for the fading.

I just want to say one thing. Blitzgirl: Thank you so much for going on that journey, watching Time fade away slowly while you were silent was completely agonizing. By nature, I do not ever worry about anything, but I was worried that you would not catch up to the present before Time faded away. I was almost scared that you would get to the present, and Time would be over before you got there. This morning I checked the NewPix and saw white, I immediately rushed to the Book of Aubron and confirmed the fade out. Checking the OTT showed about 15 NewPages, I knew you had not checked in since about NewPage 415, and I was so worried. I carefully scanned through the pages for any update of yours. The NewPix slowly got whiter and whiter, and still no update. Then, a signpost! You had trudged through most of the NewPages! I got so excited, adrenaline was actually pumping as I watched NewPix approach #FFFFFF, hoping you would make it in time. *Imagine a movie is about to end, and the main character was rushing out of the exploding building, but we do not know if he made it yet or not because the smoke has not cleared*

Then a post by Blizgirl:
*stumbles out of Time vortex*

*blinks*

Wow. So this is Present Time, huh?

...Hi, everybody! :D


I almost cried, you made it home! You completed your journey! I am so happy you survived. Thank you, thank you so much for doing what had to be done, thank you for risking being stuck in the past. It was truly a rewarding experience to watch you travel.

And to everyone else: I think Time is almost come to an end, I expect it will be over entirely by the end of the week, if not in the next few days. So once again, thank you for participating, and giving me something to be a part of, even though I did not speak, I was still with you the whole way.

And I will continue to be with you, while we Wait For It...

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:48 pm UTC
by dgbrt
Millah wrote:Does the person who maintains the xkcd.aubronwood.com site still check this thread? If so, I think (s)he should update the page to show the original posting time of each frame. Would be helpful for those of us who can't follow the comic closely in real time.


Wait for it!

Edit: Or try this http://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php?title=1190

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:50 pm UTC
by Pikrass
Swein wrote:They are going uphill. Some mountaineering ahead?


After the Sea¹ Eon, the Mountain² Eon? For another thousand newpixes? Sounds great and highly plausible!

¹ which is big
² which is tall

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:52 pm UTC
by TheMinim
Angelastic wrote:If TheMinim is a male, I think you might be too late to keep the other thing off the bacon.


Ahh, TheMinim is female. And likes to refer to herself in third person. She's a bit strange.

ETA - But doesn't mind being thought of as Male.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:53 pm UTC
by Kieryn
I was thinking about http://xkcd.com/1205/ and I would argue that it is not a coder's [or at least my] goal to save time for myself, but just to make it more enjoyable.

Edit: I just realized this should probably be in the other thread... oops... it is kind of time related though...

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:56 pm UTC
by Valarya
BlitzGirl wrote:
Swein wrote:Jeez! Timewaiters are writing quicker than I can read! :shock:
Anyway I want more party to celebrate the post whitening wait, the arrival of Blitzgirl and thats everything is great in general!
Cakes and cockies are nice but I want Champagne!
<snip>

Ooh, I just got a bottle of that! *pops the cork* Yay! Party!


Oh haaay! I thought the party had ended but silly me - this is one of the things we have been waiting for! As new people awaken from coma, they'll just keep the Blitzrandir party going.

Champagne! Bacon! Now I have to get dressed up and let my soon-to-be-past-self wait for Kryton so he has a date.

Let's dance.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:58 pm UTC
by udscbt
Kieryn wrote:I was thinking about http://xkcd.com/1205/ and I would argue that it is not a coder's [or at least my] goal to save time for myself, but just to make it more enjoyable.

Edit: I just realized this should probably be in the other thread... oops... it is kind of time related though...

There are other threads in this forum? O.O

PS: if you see posts of mine in other threads, it's just an illusion. Stating otherwise is heresy, unless it is I the one stating it.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:00 pm UTC
by SBN
Is it a different black now than it was before the fading?

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:00 pm UTC
by SPACKlick
Make castles on the hill in the early day
Constant chill deep inside
Planting flag, on they run through the endless gray
On they fight, for they are right, yes, but who's to say?
For a hill, men would kill. Why? They do not know
LaPetite tests their pride
Men of five, still alive after fading glow
Gone insane from the pain that they surely know

For whom NewPix toll
Time marches ong…

Image

Been waiting ages to use this one.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:01 pm UTC
by buffygirl
Ok, I am truly freaking out. Still 5 pages behind, have to leave in half a time-frame, hat-queue-mob is full, still working on BlitzGirl's hat..... missed BlitzGirl's party, the OTC is Moving Forward without me ....

So - my apologies across the board to anyone I have disappointed (including myself, I suppose).

WELCOME, BLITZGIRL! YAY!

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:02 pm UTC
by jjjdavidson
buffygirl wrote:
VoronX wrote:Gee Willikers, all these hats has got me seriously jealous. Buffygirl, can I have one too? Should it be a Haida hat to match my sig?

Current Hat Queue Mob is full. I have added you to the phqmm*

*pre-hat-queue-mob-mob

You know, every time you write phqmm I read it as phlegm and go, "Ewwww..."

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:03 pm UTC
by descor
Valarya wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
Swein wrote:Jeez! Timewaiters are writing quicker than I can read! :shock:
Anyway I want more party to celebrate the post whitening wait, the arrival of Blitzgirl and thats everything is great in general!
Cakes and cockies are nice but I want Champagne!
<snip>

Ooh, I just got a bottle of that! *pops the cork* Yay! Party!


Oh haaay! I thought the party had ended but silly me - this is one of the things we have been waiting for! As new people awaken from coma, they'll just keep the Blitzrandir party going.

Champagne! Bacon! Now I have to get dressed up and let my soon-to-be-past-self wait for Kryton so he has a date.

Let's dance.


Reminds me of the flying party that never ends from Hitchhiker's Guide.

ETA:
buffygirl wrote:Ok, I am truly freaking out. Still 5 pages behind, have to leave in half a time-frame, hat-queue-mob is full, still working on BlitzGirl's hat..... missed BlitzGirl's party, the OTC is Moving Forward without me ....

Don't freak out your cardinalness. The party is still ongoing, we'll still be here when you get here! (and there is a free bar, don't tell anyone - I opened a tab under the name of Helper hee hee)

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:04 pm UTC
by Roia
At this moment, unless they dump their bags someplace, it can't loop - Cuegan didn't have bags with them in the first frame!

Maybe they're going to the mountains to find the source of the River (small).

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:04 pm UTC
by BlitzGirl
Hi buffygirl! It's an honor to meet She-Of-The-Many-Hats in the Present!

And excellent -ONG, SPACKlick!

woods wrote:I have been lurking since the beginning of Time (Us lurkers are hiding around every corner). I was there for the single darkening pixel, for the mini-trebuchet, for the journey of Blitzgirl, and for the fading.

I just want to say one thing. Blitzgirl: Thank you so much for going on that journey, watching Time fade away slowly while you were silent was completely agonizing. By nature, I do not ever worry about anything, but I was worried that you would not catch up to the present before Time faded away. I was almost scared that you would get to the present, and Time would be over before you got there. This morning I checked the NewPix and saw white, I immediately rushed to the Book of Aubron and confirmed the fade out. Checking the OTT showed about 15 NewPages, I knew you had not checked in since about NewPage 415, and I was so worried. I carefully scanned through the pages for any update of yours. The NewPix slowly got whiter and whiter, and still no update. Then, a signpost! You had trudged through most of the NewPages! I got so excited, adrenaline was actually pumping as I watched NewPix approach #FFFFFF, hoping you would make it in time. *Imagine a movie is about to end, and the main character was rushing out of the exploding building, but we do not know if he made it yet or not because the smoke has not cleared*

Then a post by Blizgirl:
<snip>

I almost cried, you made it home! You completed your journey! I am so happy you survived. Thank you, thank you so much for doing what had to be done, thank you for risking being stuck in the past. It was truly a rewarding experience to watch you travel.

And to everyone else: I think Time is almost come to an end, I expect it will be over entirely by the end of the week, if not in the next few days. So once again, thank you for participating, and giving me something to be a part of, even though I did not speak, I was still with you the whole way.

And I will continue to be with you, while we Wait For It...


Thank you, woods! It is a pleasure to have shared a journey with you. :)

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:05 pm UTC
by aeglaeca
Still five pages back in time playing catch up, but welcome blitzgirl to the present, hope I can get there soon. Very happy to see time hasn't ended yet. See you all soon, in black and white.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:07 pm UTC
by Montov
SBN wrote:Is it a different black now than it was before the fading?


No more semencancerbabycoffee, but normal black.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:07 pm UTC
by jjjdavidson
Caswallon wrote:[snip]
Does not actually need a hat, as my current avatar is almost entirely unhattable.

Actually, I think your current avatar looks like a wizard's hat (on the left) at a disco.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:08 pm UTC
by dgbrt
Spoiler:
SPACKlick wrote:Make castles on the hill in the early day
Constant chill deep inside
Planting flag, on they run through the endless gray
On they fight, for they are right, yes, but who's to say?
For a hill, men would kill. Why? They do not know
LaPetite tests their pride
Men of five, still alive after fading glow
Gone insane from the pain that they surely know

For whom NewPix toll
Time marches ong…

Image

Been waiting ages to use this one.


You have been 1/1190 seconds faster than me... :lol: :lol: :lol:

So, where they are going?
And what did happen to LaPetite?

So many questions...

Wait for it!

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:15 pm UTC
by SPACKlick
1/1190 seconds? Oh, you mean 233.43 nanonewpix?

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:16 pm UTC
by Someguy945
SBN wrote:Is it a different black now than it was before the fading?


Yes.

Before the fading, the black was #000000

In this new post-fading era, the black is now #000000

At first those may appear to be the same, but look closely: the zeroes have been rearranged into a different order!

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:17 pm UTC
by pelrigg
Not only have they retuned (+1 for Megball), but so has this forums fav game : Wild Mass Guessing.

(you know when tvtropes has ruled {I mean ruined} your life when you start speaking in trope titles)

Now if I knew had to how to dance... (but then my shoes are too tight anyways)


I wonder what it means when I open a tab and the "most frequent" sites take me directly to: xkcd: Time 1190; explain-wiki's Time article; The Time-wiki and this forum?????

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:17 pm UTC
by Valarya
Roia wrote:At this moment, unless they dump their bags someplace, it can't loop - Cuegan didn't have bags with them in the first frame!

Maybe they're going to the mountains to find the source of the River (small).


They could accidentally drop their bags before they find a new shore and, saddened at the loss of their bags, sit down to contemplate before beginning a sand structure...

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:19 pm UTC
by Eliram
Had to go right after the absolute FFFFFFrame, kids came home, dinner, went to bed, and I thought to myself, maybe, just maybe, there were some white frames and then something changed a little. Maybe signs of fade-in? Will the hashes keep flowing?

And there was much rejoice!

But now, someone will have to stitch those images together, right?

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:20 pm UTC
by BlitzGirl
LaPetite is in one of the bags. She steps out of the bag and takes both bags with her, leaving Megan and Cueball alone to rebuild Time once again.

(If I was a Loopist, I might actually believe this.)

aeglaeca wrote:Still five pages back in time playing catch up, but welcome blitzgirl to the present, hope I can get there soon. Very happy to see time hasn't ended yet. See you all soon, in black and white.

Thanks, aeglaeca!

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:20 pm UTC
by EraObserver
Valarya wrote:
Roia wrote:At this moment, unless they dump their bags someplace, it can't loop - Cuegan didn't have bags with them in the first frame!

Maybe they're going to the mountains to find the source of the River (small).


They could accidentally drop their bags before they find a new shore and, saddened at the loss of their bags, sit down to contemplate before beginning a sand structure...


That would require quite the case of amnesia... you'd have to make sure they lose the bags by something hitting their head. And their convenient rolling onto a beach.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:21 pm UTC
by descor
Someguy945 wrote:
SBN wrote:Is it a different black now than it was before the fading?


Yes.

Before the fading, the black was #000000

In this new post-fading era, the black is now #000000

At first those may appear to be the same, but look closely: the zeroes have been rearranged into a different order!

Good spot! How did none of the other pixel-monkeys1 notice that?

cmyk, you're clearly slipping ...

1Intended in a totally respectful and non-derogative way2
2This is not sarcasm3
3This may be.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:23 pm UTC
by dgbrt
SPACKlick wrote:1/1190 seconds? Oh, you mean 233.43 nanonewpix?


My calculation is giving me just exactly 233 nanonewpix. What I am doing wrong?

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:26 pm UTC
by TheMinim
LaPetite is lonely, while Cueball and Megan have their fun. Megan is one of my favorite girl's names. LaPetite wants to join in and say some really cool stuff, but her limitations and social anxiety means all she feels she can do is watch. Cueball and Megan don't notice her. She either goes completely crazy and kills them both, just gets on with her life, or Megan and Cueball invite her to join them.

Or they all get killed in a meteor strike after riding dinosaurs through the time warp.

Or maybe I just want to say something cool. :lol: :lol:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:28 pm UTC
by Caswallon
dgbrt wrote:
SPACKlick wrote:1/1190 seconds? Oh, you mean 233.43 nanonewpix?


My calculation is giving me just exactly 233 nanonewpix. What I am doing wrong?

1 / (1190 * 60 * 60) = 2.3342670401493930905695611577965e-7 newpix

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:29 pm UTC
by dgbrt
I do not remember if someone did mention this, but images are back to real grayscale:

Latest newpix
PNG image data, 553 x 395, 8-bit grayscale, non-interlaced