1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Rule110

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Rule110 » Wed May 01, 2013 1:59 pm UTC

Exodies wrote:
Rule110 wrote:To return for the moment to a very old subtopic... It's pretty clear at this point that Cuegan's world is three dimensional after all, despite much speculation and near consensus, hundreds of newpages ago, that it was not.

The best argument for the lack of a complete third dimension was the effectiveness of the first dike (dyke), which appeared to somehow prevent any semencoffeecancerbaby from flowing around it. However, there is an alternative plausible explanation for that, which I don't recall seeing brought up. That is, if the edge of the sea (which is big and does what it wants) at the sandcastling place were actually the narrow tip of an inlet. That would require there to be slightly higher ground, at the cancerbabycoffeesemen's edge, in front of and behind the cross-sectional slice we were viewing, to contain the inlet. The first di(y)ke only needed to block off the inlet by spanning between the unseen higher ground in front and behind.

By the time of the larger second dy(i)ke, the coffeesemenbabycancer would have overflowed the sides of the original inlet and would then be approaching the castles on a wider front. So the second dyke (dike), even though it was larger, did soon allow the babycancersemencoffee to flow around it, making it less effective as we saw.

If you try to make a three d model of this and photograph it from our point of view you will see the error. There will be land artefacts in front of the liquid artefact which are higher than the liqart.

Hence, why I describe the rendering as a "cross-sectional slice" rather than a photograph. It's clearly not photographic, unless shot through a glass wall.
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

skuk

Postby skuk » Wed May 01, 2013 2:00 pm UTC

It took a while to catch up, so I got to see a lot of motion in a row via aubron. I get twisted up in perspective all the time. So they're walking around the big autonomous sea, and we see them walking about parallel to the shore (except a few frames around 999, where the perspective shifts to watch them sit by the shore). Would you say they are walking clockwise around the sea an we see them from the offshore, or counter-clockwise and the shore is beyond them from our view?

XonqNopp

Postby XonqNopp » Wed May 01, 2013 2:01 pm UTC

Febrion wrote:
XonqNopp wrote:
Bytes wrote:You know, now you mention it, using brine would be nicer than using urine...

Definitely! :?

But would distilled urine be preferable to distilled semencoffeecancerbabies?

I do NOT wanna find this out... :P
RandallsWhimsyist - WWRD (What Would Randall Draw

Wait well, all of you blitzers!

I guess that it will be the End of Time. Wait for it.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed May 01, 2013 2:01 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:
XonqNopp wrote:So I guess now the topic will be "What is the steam bottle and what would they make with it?"

I conjecture that a steam bottle is a bottle for making...wait for it...steam. The ways of the Creator of Time are mysterious, indeed.

Orrr... perhaps it's a bottle that they hide their passwords for their Online Gaming Distribution accounts in? And if they go too much further without a new download, they'll need to stop and get one...
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

Bytes

Postby Bytes » Wed May 01, 2013 2:02 pm UTC

Febrion wrote:
XonqNopp wrote:
Bytes wrote:You know, now you mention it, using brine would be nicer than using urine...

You know, when you put it like that...
Sir Bytes, Waître d' of the Grains and Guardian of the Second Flag from the Right
Kethryes wrote:The Time when the future meets the past in the present is aproaching! Repent!

juliancolton

Postby juliancolton » Wed May 01, 2013 2:02 pm UTC

InterroBONG

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed May 01, 2013 2:04 pm UTC

skuk wrote: Would you say they are walking clockwise around the sea an we see them from the offshore, or counter-clockwise and the shore is beyond them from our view?

Hmmm... I think they use digital clocks to measure their perception of Time, so words like "clockwise" and "counter-clockwise" hold no meaning to them...
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

woods

Postby woods » Wed May 01, 2013 2:06 pm UTC

Update to the distance they have traveled, also, this image is getting very unwieldy. I may have to cut it in half at some point just to make it viewable. Current dimensions: 9888 x 393

Current.jpg

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed May 01, 2013 2:08 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
skuk wrote: Would you say they are walking clockwise around the sea an we see them from the offshore, or counter-clockwise and the shore is beyond them from our view?

Hmmm... I think they use digital clocks to measure their perception of Time, so words like "clockwise" and "counter-clockwise" hold no meaning to them...

But if it would (and if the sea is finite, and surrounded by land, i.e. not a sea but a lake), most certainly clockwise (i.e. we're looking at them from the sea), as you could see by the rotation of our PoV when they sat down.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Wed May 01, 2013 2:10 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:

But if it would (and if the sea is finite, and surrounded by land, i.e. not a sea but a lake), most certainly clockwise (i.e. we're looking at them from the sea), as you could see by the rotation of our PoV when they sat down.

Assuming they sat facing the sea, and not the river or the hills. I understand that assumption, I made it too, but we have never seen what they are looking at.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

SWO Crash

Postby SWO Crash » Wed May 01, 2013 2:10 pm UTC

XonqNopp wrote:
Febrion wrote:
XonqNopp wrote:

Perhaps what was why Cueball said "ugh."

squonk wrote:The castle was just a MacGuffin. The real story is about to begin...

Communism was just a red herring.
We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty.

Husband, Father, Sailor, Son.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed May 01, 2013 2:13 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:

Yeah the PoV shift was confusing (unlike everything else in this comic, which Lord Randall has made so obvious and clear), but part of me still thinks they're walking away from the sea -- perpendicular to the shoreline -- and, eventually, into an entirely new pixilated ecology.

But I could be wrong...

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed May 01, 2013 2:14 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
mscha wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:

Assuming they sat facing the sea, and not the river or the hills. I understand that assumption, I made it too, but we have never seen what they are looking at.

They sat facing something with an almost flat surface that slowly rose over time. We don't know for certain that's the sea¹, but it is a fairly safe assumption.

¹: big
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed May 01, 2013 2:15 pm UTC

SWO Crash wrote:
squonk wrote:The castle was just a MacGuffin. The real story is about to begin...

Communism was just a red herring.

Wait. What? What does communism have to do with this guy?

Spoiler:

Someguy945

Postby Someguy945 » Wed May 01, 2013 2:16 pm UTC

When Cueball stops to look at us, it makes sense to think that he is looking at the sea.

woods

Postby woods » Wed May 01, 2013 2:18 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
mscha wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:

Yeah the PoV shift was confusing (unlike everything else in this comic, which Lord Randall has made so obvious and clear), but part of me still thinks they're walking away from the sea -- perpendicular to the shoreline -- and, eventually, into an entirely new pixilated ecology.

But I could be wrong...

I agree, with the very last thing you said. I think they are walking parallel to the sea1 instead of perpendicular. And as to which direction we are viewing them from: I used to think that it was a view from the land, facing the sea1, but now that StratPlayer mentioned it, I think it is definitely a view from the sea1 facing the land. Otherwise, why would they be walking to the right? That would just be leading them straight to their own sandcastle. Amirite?

1Big

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed May 01, 2013 2:20 pm UTC

woods wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
mscha wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:

But I could be wrong...

I agree, with the very last thing you said. I think they are walking parallel to the sea1 instead of perpendicular. And as to which direction we are viewing them from: I used to think that it was a view from the land, facing the sea1, but now that StratPlayer mentioned it, I think it is definitely a view from the sea1 facing the land. Otherwise, why would they be walking to the right? That would just be leading them straight to their own sandcastle. Amirite?

1Big

You know, one tacit assumption being made in all this analysis/hypothesis is that the sea is just sitting there. What if the sea moves, too?

After all, it can do what it wants...

EDITED to correct a double-word...
Last edited by StratPlayer on Wed May 01, 2013 4:54 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Wed May 01, 2013 2:21 pm UTC

woods wrote:Update to the distance they have traveled, also, this image is getting very unwieldy. I may have to cut it in half at some point just to make it viewable. Current dimensions: 9888 x 393

Cueball is about 40px tall, so they've already traveled almost 500 yards :)
Go Minim go!

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Wed May 01, 2013 2:23 pm UTC

Color me impressed. Just discovered that "Time" got noticed by the mainstream press, and in The Economist of all places. An article (well, a blog post, but still cool) from April 19th, 2013 O.E.Σ

Σ. Outsider Era.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

XonqNopp

Postby XonqNopp » Wed May 01, 2013 2:24 pm UTC

Zorin_75 wrote:
woods wrote:Update to the distance they have traveled, also, this image is getting very unwieldy. I may have to cut it in half at some point just to make it viewable. Current dimensions: 9888 x 393

How much is this?
(I know I can Google it, but I prefer make the people use SI units.)
RandallsWhimsyist - WWRD (What Would Randall Draw

Wait well, all of you blitzers!

I guess that it will be the End of Time. Wait for it.

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Wed May 01, 2013 2:25 pm UTC

XonqNopp wrote:
Zorin_75 wrote:

How much is this?

Roughly 10,000 pixels.

Bytes

Postby Bytes » Wed May 01, 2013 2:26 pm UTC

Current.jpg

Well if they make it all the way round you could turn it into a OTC size panoramic.

EDIT What height are you assuming Cueball is? Because that's a pretty hefty theological assumption.
Last edited by Bytes on Wed May 01, 2013 2:27 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Sir Bytes, Waître d' of the Grains and Guardian of the Second Flag from the Right
Kethryes wrote:The Time when the future meets the past in the present is aproaching! Repent!

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed May 01, 2013 2:26 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:Color me impressed. Just discovered that "Time" got noticed by the mainstream press, and in The Economist of all places. An article (well, a blog post, but still cool) from April 19th, 2013 O.E.Σ

Σ. Outsider Era.

EDITED:
Huh... Nevermind...

Googled it and found the same URL as in your quote: http://www.economist.com/blogs/babbage/ ... web-comics and now the link is working... Sorry. Must have been innerweb weirdness on my end...
Last edited by StratPlayer on Wed May 01, 2013 2:33 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed May 01, 2013 2:31 pm UTC

XonqNopp wrote:
Zorin_75 wrote:

That is, assuming that the “scenes” in the newpix are exactly adjacent, and ignoring any distance they travelled while we were watching the beach fade out.

XonqNopp wrote:How much is this?

Completely agree: come on, USA, it's time to join the 19th century and go metric!
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed May 01, 2013 2:36 pm UTC

And Whoa -- 400th post!

You know, when I first visited the OTT, I never woulda believed I'd post this many times. But I guess this must need some commemoration.

Well, I think it's pretty clear that I'm thrilled to be a part of Time and that I'm a...

"Poster"
(to the tune of "Loser" by Beck)

In the thread of Time, I was kinda tardy
lurking for a bit, 'fore comin' to the party
With my guitarish name -- "StraPlayer" -- I'm punnin' when I'm able
But I can still stall; someTimes, my mind's under the table...
But I kill the post fights, I put 'em in neutral
Stop the flamin' with a poster, 'cause of my word control:
"Uh, babby's from semen (maybe vitamin D)?"
Even got a couple of mentions up on the Time wiki...
Yeah, I'm a Knight Temporal, no need to complain
'bout my shotgun posting, 'cause I do strain to refrain
from postin' everything, yeah, that you could read.
But what does get said -- well, you just gotta believe.
And whether Time's bright, or even if it's dark
I'm postin' it all, when I get a burnin' creative spark...

Yo, post it:

So.... unbelievable...
I'm a poster, baby, and you know Time thrills me!
(double-postin' buckshot!)
So.... undeniable...
I'm a poster, baby, and you know Time thrills me!

A sincere "Thanks!" to all of you for letting me Wait with you! :D

EDITED for meter...
Last edited by StratPlayer on Wed May 01, 2013 2:42 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Wed May 01, 2013 2:36 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:Okay, I have officially been on this thread for Too Long. A couple of posts back I was thinking about ginning up a "Did you smell mustard?" frame to post at the -ONG; I didn't do it because I had to go to work (where I am now).

But on the way to work I thought about the xkcd-Regular.otf font that I installed after "Externalities," that I was going to use for "mustard," and suddenly realized how I was reading the file extension to myself. I'll spoiler it so you can see for yourself if you've been spending too much time here. How do you read xkcd-Regular.otf?
Spoiler:
"xkcd-Regular, the One True Font."

The One True Font indeed!! I've been repeatedly late to workOutside stuff almost every day b/c of catching up on the OTT. I need an internetervention.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Febrion

Postby Febrion » Wed May 01, 2013 2:37 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:Color me impressed. Just discovered that "Time" got noticed by the mainstream press, and in The Economist of all places. An article (well, a blog post, but still cool) from April 19th, 2013 O.E.Σ

Σ. Outsider Era.

Got quite a kick out of that, though the author hadn't noticed that 60 Outsider minutes now pass between updates, rather than 30...
Temporal Knight Sir Junction, Lord of the Sawtooth Snap
Time flies like a River, sand flies like a Trebuchét

mathrec

Postby mathrec » Wed May 01, 2013 2:40 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:We're pretty sure it's just Lord Randall continuing his MMONS1

1 Massively Multiplayer Online Nerd Sniping.

Yes. This. Lord Randall is capricious, with a malicious streak. It makes sense that there is a little bit of BHG in the author Creator, doesn't it?
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
The end is always near.
Lord Randall wrote:Wait for it.

woods

Postby woods » Wed May 01, 2013 2:41 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
XonqNopp wrote:
Zorin_75 wrote:

That is, assuming that the “scenes” in the newpix are exactly adjacent, and ignoring any distance they travelled while we were watching the beach fade out.

Yes yes. Indeed, they are not actually adjacent. I merely stitched them that way. The terrain differs by as much as 15 pixels up/down at times, but I just slide it to fit. So really, they have indeed traveled farther than we can see.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Wed May 01, 2013 2:44 pm UTC

Someguy945 wrote:When Cueball stops to look at us, it makes sense to think that he is looking at the sea.

As evidenced by the 90 degree camera turn mscha (i think?) mentioned back on newpic 997. If you go to the Book of Aubron and flip back and forth between 996 and 997 you'll be able to see exaaactly that.

StratPlayer wrote:And Whoa -- 400th post!

You know, when I first visited the OTT, I never woulda believed I'd post this many times. But I guess this must need some commemoration.

Well, I think it's pretty clear that I'm thrilled to be a part of Time and that I'm a...
Spoiler:
"Poster"
(to the tune of "Loser" by Beck)

In the thread of Time, I was kinda tardy
lurking for a bit, 'fore comin' to the party
With my guitarish name -- "StraPlayer" -- I'm punnin' when I'm able
But I can still stall; someTimes, my mind's under the table...
But I kill the post fights, I put 'em in neutral
Stop the flamin' with a poster, 'cause of my word control:
"Uh, babby's from semen (maybe vitamin D)?"
Even got a couple of mentions up on the Time wiki...
Yeah, I'm a Knight Temporal, no need to complain
'bout my shotgun posting, 'cause I do strain to refrain
from postin' everything, yeah, that you could read.
But what does get said -- well, you just gotta believe.
And whether Time's bright, or even if it's dark
I'm postin' it all, when I get a burnin' creative spark...

Yo, post it:

So.... unbelievable...
I'm a poster, baby, and I show how Time thrills me!
(double-postin' buckshot!)
So.... undeniable...
I'm a poster, baby, and I show how Time thrills me!

*hands StratPlayer his talent pipes* Holy shit!! I'm floored. This is the best, yet.
Attachments
rsz_silver_pipes.jpg
rsz_silver_pipes.jpg (8.79 KiB) Viewed 14181 times
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

jetpac

Postby jetpac » Wed May 01, 2013 2:47 pm UTC

*sigh* I go away for a lovely coma, and return to find 12 newpages. I really don't know how you maniacs do it, but I'm teetering between admiration and horror.

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Wed May 01, 2013 2:48 pm UTC

Febrion wrote:Got quite a kick out of that, though the author hadn't noticed that 60 Outsider minutes now pass between updates, rather than 30...

yeah, that's probably because the wiki kinda hasn't either (at least not very clearly on the main page describing what a newpix is, I was confused by that when I first jumped into the full OTC experience myself)

edit: I edited the wiki, I've never edited a wiki before, did I do it right?
Last edited by jovialbard on Wed May 01, 2013 3:02 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Wed May 01, 2013 2:59 pm UTC

woods wrote:
mscha wrote:
XonqNopp wrote:
Zorin_75 wrote:

Yes yes. Indeed, they are not actually adjacent. I merely stitched them that way. The terrain differs by as much as 15 pixels up/down at times, but I just slide it to fit. So really, they have indeed traveled farther than we can see.

Cueball could be as tall as this guy a few atoms
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

foilman

Postby foilman » Wed May 01, 2013 3:01 pm UTC

Walk on...

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed May 01, 2013 3:03 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:
Someguy945 wrote:When Cueball stops to look at us, it makes sense to think that he is looking at the sea.

As evidenced by the 90 degree camera turn mscha (i think?) mentioned back on newpic 997. If you go to the Book of Aubron and flip back and forth between 996 and 997 you'll be able to see exaaactly that.

And it was visualized even better here:
123Adz321 wrote:In the wait between newpix, I have decided to do a (terrible) visualization of the recent camera change:

*not to scale - yes I know the shadows aren't consistent

Essentially, we are seeing the same angle as before, so it looks like time travel.
Last edited by mscha on Wed May 01, 2013 3:08 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

htom

Postby htom » Wed May 01, 2013 3:05 pm UTC

SWO Crash wrote:
XonqNopp wrote:
Febrion wrote:
XonqNopp wrote:

Perhaps what was why Cueball said "ugh."

Distilling only gets to 212ºF (100ºC) and some bad things can survive that (especially if they're in cyst form and you only boil, not condense the steam.) So, indeed, ugh. Boil and condense to get rid of the salts, and don't think about it either way. Ugh.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Wed May 01, 2013 3:10 pm UTC

Wow, sorry guys, I ended up coma-ing on my keyboard :/

Not enough luck apparently.
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Wed May 01, 2013 3:11 pm UTC

Seems like good advice. Savor every moment indeed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=O0iRYycmlOI
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Wed May 01, 2013 3:14 pm UTC

The mustard frames no longer contain any gray, at least according to geekwagon. I'll check the other databases to verify.
mscha's compilation is in agreement.
Aubronwood also displays those frames as solid black ground.
Has this been pointed out before?
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

digimuzik

Postby digimuzik » Wed May 01, 2013 3:15 pm UTC

For crying out loud. I switch computers and then can't login for dozens of newpix. I've been following all along though. Here are my clear thoughts

BagsStrangepetitegirlappearinginmistsFadingIt'sover?!OhnoThey'rejustwalkingOMG3d!
YayStalebacondonutsandcakewhilelatetothepartyforBlitzGirlandheruberawesomemashupsummary
OhIupdatedmysignowsinceshe'snolongerinthepastDammitsomeoneelsepostedthehaveyouseenthejavascriptjoke
WelcomebackHelperandHalOwowowMyeyesItneverendsWhatsupwithgrayMustard

Oh... need my coffee. Later.

Edit: wow, forum doesn't like longstrings
Keep bringing us news from the past, smolloy!

I waited for it... XKCD Time Wiki

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”