1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Opiboble » Wed May 01, 2013 8:45 pm UTC

TheMinim wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
descor wrote:I hate having to BlitzRead after a coma and work day - there is so much I want to comment on but I do it on my phone and wall posts are stupidly hard to do on this thing.

I guess I'll have to settle for saying:
Welcome back Hal and Helper.

Oh sure, everyone forgets to welcome me back :cry:

Welcome back! :D

:D :D :D
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Wed May 01, 2013 8:51 pm UTC

As a note, what type of music do you like to listen to when watching The One True Comic?

And as if you couldn't tell by my avatar my choice is techno.
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Wed May 01, 2013 8:52 pm UTC

I don't particularly put on music, I just watch.
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Wed May 01, 2013 8:54 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:As a note, what type of music do you like to listen to when watching The One True Comic?

I've been listening to a lot of Abney Park recently. They're quite good.

Also, unrelated but important friendly reminder: please try not to double post so often. It took me a while to realize it too, so you aren't the only one.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Wed May 01, 2013 8:56 pm UTC

I'm going to go coma after the next newpix. *yawn*
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Wed May 01, 2013 8:57 pm UTC

TheMinim wrote:
Angelastic wrote:But… quarks doesn't rhyme with parks and sharks. :?

Does in my head... Hmm...

I defer to Murray Gell-Mann's head in such matters.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Wed May 01, 2013 8:58 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:As a note, what type of music do you like to listen to when watching The One True Comic?

Towards the beginning of Time, I was listening to this song a lot, and sometimes ended up watching the OTC (through the Book of Aubron) alongside the song... whether it's appropriate lyrically I don't know, it's in Icelandic, but I felt the music fitted somehow. It's introspective, kinda poignant, yet weirdly uplifting (especially towards the end) and the way it builds up throughout fits with the sandcastles building up throughout the first Eon. Also the title means "ebb tide", kinda fits with the beach theme I suppose.
Last edited by yappobiscuits on Wed May 01, 2013 9:00 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

juliancolton

Postby juliancolton » Wed May 01, 2013 8:58 pm UTC

Relevant?
Megball click and drag.jpg

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Wed May 01, 2013 8:59 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:

Also, unrelated but important friendly reminder: please try not to double post so often. It took me a while to realize it too, so you aren't the only one.

Thanks for the note on posting : )

I will have to check them out once I get back home, thanks for the note on that as well!

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Wed May 01, 2013 8:59 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:
TheMinim wrote:
Angelastic wrote:But… quarks doesn't rhyme with parks and sharks. :?

Does in my head... Hmm...

I defer to Murray Gell-Mann's head in such matters.

Ahh, well, I'm just referring to how we say it in Physics class, so what do I know?

Edit: I'm coma-ing now. Night night!

woods

Postby woods » Wed May 01, 2013 9:01 pm UTC

BACKTOPREVIOUSVIEWOOOONNNNG

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Wed May 01, 2013 9:04 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:

*high five for Abney Park*
Although they have little relevance to the OTC, except maybe at a stretch the whole time-travelling-airship backstory... they're very cool though :)

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Wed May 01, 2013 9:05 pm UTC

SWO Crash wrote:
Spoiler:
treadman wrote:Ah. Iterative Loopist. I may be able to conform to that theory. It actually was a bit of a relief that newpix 1000 was not the last one. I think many Loopists don't want it to loop. They fear that it will loop.

I don't fear, so much as I am curious as to the different Iterations. I want to see all the glorious Differences, and contemplate what they could mean in the great WheelLoop of Time.

StratPlayer wrote:Possibly no more than the Endists fear that it will end... But at least the Endists would have the big "Ta-Dahhhh!" payout final frame.

And we (the Loopists and Iterative Loopists) will be able to re-live the passage of Time over and over again, searching for more meaning in each successive Loop.

"Yes, but the way Megan appears to be peering intently into one of the mustard gouges, and the delicate angle at which Cueball's legs are crossed, shows that Frame 1013 is clearly superior."
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Wed May 01, 2013 9:05 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:Pretty soon people are going to start selling butter left and right.

I didn't notice this until it turned up in a haiku. It made me smile. :D For that, I grant lmjb1964 the right to sell three pixels of butter per newpix. (Darnit, I want to call them timeframes, because that's a pun, but newpix comes so naturally after reading this thread.)
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Wed May 01, 2013 9:09 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:Pretty soon people are going to start selling butter left and right.

I didn't notice this until it turned up in a haiku. It made me smile. :D For that, I grant lmjb1964 the right to sell three pixels of butter per newpix. (Darnit, I want to call them timeframes, because that's a pun, but newpix comes so naturally after reading this thread.)

Can I sell the ham & cheese sandwiches? They'd work pretty well with my sense of humour. :D

Added: On the other hand, given my overall posting rate within the OTT, perhaps spam would be more appropriate than ham.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Helper
Duly Elected Pope of the One True Comic

Postby Helper » Wed May 01, 2013 9:10 pm UTC

As of late I've been on a binge of break-y music. Somehow, it seem... unfitting.
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!
Oh well. At least we still have our sandcastle.

NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Wed May 01, 2013 9:11 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:

*high five for Abney Park*
Although they have little relevance to the OTC, except maybe at a stretch the whole time-travelling-airship backstory... they're very cool though :)

I don't know how a computer can high five, but I'll try to imagine it.

Nope. Can't. Whatever, yay for Abney Park!
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

SWO Crash

Postby SWO Crash » Wed May 01, 2013 9:11 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:
SWO Crash wrote:
Spoiler:
treadman wrote:Ah. Iterative Loopist. I may be able to conform to that theory. It actually was a bit of a relief that newpix 1000 was not the last one. I think many Loopists don't want it to loop. They fear that it will loop.

I don't fear, so much as I am curious as to the different Iterations. I want to see all the glorious Differences, and contemplate what they could mean in the great WheelLoop of Time.

StratPlayer wrote:Possibly no more than the Endists fear that it will end... But at least the Endists would have the big "Ta-Dahhhh!" payout final frame.

And we (the Loopists and Iterative Loopists) will be able to re-live the passage of Time over and over again, searching for more meaning in each successive Loop.

"Yes, but the way Megan appears to be peering intently into one of the mustard gouges, and the delicate angle at which Cueball's legs are crossed, shows that Frame 1013 is clearly superior."

"What a surprise - you praising a mustard frame." :D

As I was writing the intial comment, that comic popped into my head, and I was wondering how long it would take for someone to mention it.
We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty.

Husband, Father, Sailor, Son.

Helper

Postby Helper » Wed May 01, 2013 9:12 pm UTC

SWO Crash wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:
SWO Crash wrote:
Spoiler:

As I was writing the intial comment, that comic popped into my head, and I was wondering how long it would take for someone to mention it.

Around page 3 :D. Although I think you phrasing is probably closest to the original comic.
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!

NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

edo

Postby edo » Wed May 01, 2013 9:14 pm UTC

XonqNopp wrote:
Zorin_75 wrote:
woods wrote:Update to the distance they have traveled, also, this image is getting very unwieldy. I may have to cut it in half at some point just to make it viewable. Current dimensions: 9888 x 393

Cueball is about 40px tall, so they've already traveled almost 500 yards :)

How much is this?
(I know I can Google it, but I prefer make the people use SI units.)

oh it's a little less than a tenth of a mile. :D
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

SWO Crash

Postby SWO Crash » Wed May 01, 2013 9:15 pm UTC

Helper wrote:
SWO Crash wrote:As I was writing the intial comment, that comic popped into my head, and I was wondering how long it would take for someone to mention it.

Around page 3 :D. Although I think you phrasing is probably closest to the original comic.

I cheated - I looked it up. And I saw the initial references to OtherComic 915 intially; I was referencing mentioning it WRT my post. :lol:

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Wed May 01, 2013 9:15 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:I don't know how a computer can high five, but I'll try to imagine it.

Eject your CD tray, I'll slap it.

That sounded kinkier than I intended.

Do HAL 9000s even have CD trays?
Last edited by yappobiscuits on Wed May 01, 2013 9:17 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed May 01, 2013 9:15 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:

YAY! I get to sell a little bit of butter! Get your butter here! I only have 3 pixels' worth, so it won't last long!

How'd I do?

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

Helper

Postby Helper » Wed May 01, 2013 9:17 pm UTC

SWO Crash wrote:
Helper wrote:
SWO Crash wrote:As I was writing the intial comment, that comic popped into my head, and I was wondering how long it would take for someone to mention it.

I cheated - I looked it up. And I saw the initial references to OtherComic 915 intially; I was referencing mentioning it WRT my post. :lol:

W-WRT? Like... like the router :?:

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Wed May 01, 2013 9:18 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:I don't know how a computer can high five, but I'll try to imagine it.

Yes. And ethernet ports, if you catch my drift. We can do a little... networking.
Last edited by HAL9000 on Wed May 01, 2013 9:18 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Wed May 01, 2013 9:18 pm UTC

Techno techno? Acid House? Deep House? Chicago House? Drum n Bass? UK Bass Music? Garage?

I'm always listening to electronic music - so it's a given that'd be what I'm listening to whilst traversing Time. :D

(oh and welcome back)

HAL9000 wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:

Yes. And ethernet ports, if you catch my drift. We can do a little... networking.

It just got sexy in here.
Last edited by Valarya on Wed May 01, 2013 9:19 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Wed May 01, 2013 9:19 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:
Angelastic wrote:

YAY! I get to sell a little bit of butter! Get your butter here! I only have 3 pixels' worth, so it won't last long!

How'd I do?

I will take it all!

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed May 01, 2013 9:19 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
descor wrote:I hate having to BlitzRead after a coma and work day - there is so much I want to comment on but I do it on my phone and wall posts are stupidly hard to do on this thing.

I guess I'll have to settle for saying:
Welcome back Hal and Helper.

Oh sure, everyone forgets to welcome me back :cry:

WELCOME BACK!! It wasn't meant to be a slight--I think you might have been around before I got active in the OTT. But nice to have you back.

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Wed May 01, 2013 9:19 pm UTC

edo wrote:
XonqNopp wrote:
Zorin_75 wrote:
woods wrote:Update to the distance they have traveled, also, this image is getting very unwieldy. I may have to cut it in half at some point just to make it viewable. Current dimensions: 9888 x 393

Cueball is about 40px tall, so they've already traveled almost 500 yards :)

How much is this?
(I know I can Google it, but I prefer make the people use SI units.)

oh it's a little less than a tenth of a mile. :D

Not sure if you did that on purpose or not, but you're confusing yards with feet. 500 yards is about 2/7 mile.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

SWO Crash

Postby SWO Crash » Wed May 01, 2013 9:20 pm UTC

Helper wrote:
SWO Crash wrote:
Helper wrote:

W-WRT? Like... like the router :?:

Sorry. Outside lingo. WRT = with respect to.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Wed May 01, 2013 9:20 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:

I say! *fans self* ...is it getting hot in here?

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Wed May 01, 2013 9:20 pm UTC

Now accepting NO new hat requests until further notice ....

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Wed May 01, 2013 9:21 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:

Techno techno? Acid House? Deep House? Chicago House? Drum n Bass? UK Bass Music? Garage?

I'm always listening to electronic music - so it's a given that'd be what I'm listening to whilst traversing Time. :D

(oh and welcome back)

Mostly Daft and Swedish house on my playlist today.

shurikt

Postby shurikt » Wed May 01, 2013 9:22 pm UTC

Thank Randall we got past 1024. I was afraid that was the end of time.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Wed May 01, 2013 9:23 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:

Sorry. I'm doing quite a few... computations.

Helper

Postby Helper » Wed May 01, 2013 9:24 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:Now accepting NO new hat requests until further notice ....

my friend Catherine wants a hat.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Wed May 01, 2013 9:24 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:

I think so, better take my shirt off.

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Wed May 01, 2013 9:25 pm UTC

SWO Crash wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:
SWO Crash wrote:
Spoiler:

"And you clearly aren't even considering the delicate anti-aliasing in Megan's hair."

Just until I got home from work, actually.
Helper wrote:Around page 3 :D. Although I think you phrasing is probably closest to the original comic.

Those early posters were at a disadvantage; they hadn't been shown the mustard frames yet. Connoisseurship develops with experience; isn't that what 915ing is about?
Last edited by jjjdavidson on Wed May 01, 2013 9:31 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Wed May 01, 2013 9:26 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
Valarya wrote:

(oh and welcome back)

Mostly Daft and Swedish house on my playlist today.

Eric Prydz is not your friend! But srsly: nice. It's some Boiler Room action on my playlist today.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Wed May 01, 2013 9:28 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:

Sorry. I'm doing quite a few... computations.

Do you prefer Cat 5e or Cat 6?
Do you like your pairs twisted?

Added: Or maybe you like your ethernet thicker.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”