1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu May 02, 2013 4:55 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:But on the way to work I thought about the xkcd-Regular.otf font that I installed after "Externalities," that I was going to use for "mustard," and suddenly realized how I was reading the file extension to myself. I'll spoiler it so you can see for yourself if you've been spending too much time here. How do you read xkcd-Regular.otf?
"xkcd-Regular, the One True Font."

Well, the UTC stamp on every post also messes with my head at this point. And over-the-counter drugs will never be the same again.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Thu May 02, 2013 5:01 am UTC

FIRST ONG in a while

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

Helper
Duly Elected Pope of the One True Comic

Postby Helper » Thu May 02, 2013 5:02 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:But on the way to work I thought about the xkcd-Regular.otf font that I installed after "Externalities," that I was going to use for "mustard," and suddenly realized how I was reading the file extension to myself. I'll spoiler it so you can see for yourself if you've been spending too much time here. How do you read xkcd-Regular.otf?

Well, the UTC stamp on every post also messes with my head at this point. And over-the-counter drugs will never be the same again.

Oh dear...
One True... Chlorpheniramine?
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!
Oh well. At least we still have our sandcastle.

NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Thu May 02, 2013 5:04 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:

le Une True Comic? (Gotta mix french and english there - le UVC doesn't have quite the same ring to it.)

I had another theory about M&C's background. Maybe it's like in Adventure Time, where the main characters routinely use advanced technology but have no idea what it is or does because the civilization that created it is long gone.

vvn

Postby vvn » Thu May 02, 2013 5:06 am UTC

She gave him a towel?

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Thu May 02, 2013 5:06 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:
buffygirl wrote:in the hqm: chem1190c, doeanethum, velocitygirl (via jjjdavidson)
in the phqmm: Latent22, VoronX, caswallon, patzer (ish)

BuffyDashery acronyms:
hqm = Hat Queue Mob
phqmm = Possible Hat Queue Mob Mob

Again, not quite. "Pre Hat Queue Mob Mob"

Added:
BlitzGirl wrote:

I removed the UTC claim, since it's not true anyway; I wish the time display options would clarify that. While I was at it, I added the Unix time (seconds since epoch), 'cuz that's how I roll.
Last edited by KarMann on Thu May 02, 2013 5:09 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Thu May 02, 2013 5:09 am UTC

*yawn* I am getting tired...
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Thu May 02, 2013 5:09 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:True. It's not a bad life at all really, this sea otter lark.

As long as your not a female, and it's time to mate. Actually, your avatar looks to be a female otter. I say all of that because of this: http://www.ask.com/question/how-do-sea-otters-reproduce

0_o Otters are kinky bastards! I'm otterly shocked, I otter lie down...

I otter get her an otter-pop.

These puns are otterocious...

Well, I totally otter have checked my spelling, since several people quoted this post. I think when you go back and edit a typo in your post, it should change everywhere it's quoted.

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Thu May 02, 2013 5:10 am UTC

SWO Crash wrote:
treadman wrote:I have decided to simply live in the newpix. Whatever Loopist leanings I had in the past, I gave up after the The Great Loopist Tease of 997-1000.

I'm still an Iterative Loopist. What you call the Tease, I call the Second Iteration. In that one, they didn't build anything.
Think of the Iterations like layers in what the Outsiders call the Multi-Verse. Each one similar, with subtle differences. We might be at the Third Iteration - this one is by a river1, instead of by the sea2.

1 - Small
2 - Big

"Subtle" differences? Yeah. Right.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Thu May 02, 2013 5:10 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
pelrigg wrote:AluisioASG :
re: new sig
all those folks what complained way back when Helper first posted that are just gonna love you.....

I join you in evil grinning though.

EDIT

wait a minute; You removed it.

Someone PM'd me to remove, so I did it.

Wait… I am the SAEWITRBASA! Gotta find a link to it again.

Well you did say you were going to "Spoil" it....someday....

Shuck-e-darn
At least I saw it too.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Thu May 02, 2013 5:13 am UTC

I, AluisioASG; SAEWITRBASA; Time Waiter, on this page 485∧496 of the One True Thread, hereby establish the Time Foundation, a society concerned with the availability of the One True Comic for future generations; the proper recording and analysis of the Frames; public relations with the Outside (in order to prevent incidents); as well as its own survival like every other society.

A full list of members (the Council Board doesn't care if people want to join or not) shall be made available shortly.
EDIT:

Staff of the Time Foundation

Changes to the staff will be reported through this post

Founders

AluisioASG

Council Board

AluisioASG (irrevocably)
BlitzGirl
Pope Helper the First (suspended due to ongoing investigation)
cmyk (suspended due to ongoing investigation)
buffygirl
HAL9000 (the First and True One)
AluisioASG
{{ Some representative from the Sheeple }}

Data Preservation Department

? (suggestions accepted)

Data Analysis Department

Kieryn
? (suggestions accepted)

Outsider Relations Department

The Minister of Love
The Minister of Truth
? (suggestions accepted)
Last edited by AluisioASG on Thu May 02, 2013 6:55 am UTC, edited 4 times in total.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Thu May 02, 2013 5:18 am UTC

Opiboble wrote:
Helper wrote:
Febrion wrote:Are you sure that's milk?

:cry: :cry: :cry:
...sometimes milk can smell like pennies and bleach...

I just noticed you new avatar all thanks to that line.

Oh! Is Opiboble back?

Unrelated addendum: is it Time for another Talking Heads parody? Road To Nowhere?

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Thu May 02, 2013 5:19 am UTC

Found in the comment section of The Economist Blog (reported early) Linked to by AluisioASG above also:
paean Apr 19th, 09:55

It's a slow flipbook. The only genius thing about it is the advertising revenue he gets with each refresh.

BlitzgirlHelper in reply to paean May 1st, 20:47

Die heretic! There is no "refresh." Lord Randall has put a Javascript that pushes each new frame to the followers of the One True Comic. Besides, your post is fail on so many other levels (ads? pft!). The sea is big, the river is small.

So take THAT!

EDIT

Is that our Blitzgirl???

{also worked on spaces in above quote}

Edit 2
Added paen's statement
Last edited by pelrigg on Thu May 02, 2013 5:28 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Thu May 02, 2013 5:21 am UTC

Just hit a post of mine on NewPage 486.
Now I know how BlitzGirl used to feel.

ALSO: this:
Earthling on Mars wrote:Yes, there are other rivers, maybe?
Last edited by AluisioASG on Thu May 02, 2013 5:22 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Selecting new quote…

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Thu May 02, 2013 5:21 am UTC

Exodies wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
Helper wrote:
Febrion wrote:Are you sure that's milk?

:cry: :cry: :cry:
...sometimes milk can smell like pennies and bleach...

I just noticed you new avatar all thanks to that line.

Oh! Is Opiboble back?

Unrelated addendum: is it Time for another Talking Heads parody? Road To Nowhere?

Yup, I awoke from my extended coma yesterday.
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)

Selcouth

Postby Selcouth » Thu May 02, 2013 5:26 am UTC

Selcouth wrote:*exhales*

Oooookay! Greetings. I've wanted to make an account since the beginning of (t)(T)ime, but I made myself hold back until I'd finished reading this thread completely and when work got a little less hectic. Which is now! I was keeping up when the Madness dissipated, but then I got hit with a new project at work and then bam, 100+ more pages when I next sat down to read this.

...Time is awesome. And I just sang BlitzGirl's song to myself and it got stuck in my head while I was working out. Also awesome.

Quoting my original post since it just got approved and is now drowning twenty pages back.
"But I've never seen the Icarus story as a lesson about the limitations of humans... I see it as a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive."

-Randall Munroe

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Thu May 02, 2013 5:26 am UTC

pelrigg wrote:Found in the comment section of The Economist Blog (reported early) Linked to by AluisioASG above also:

Die heretic! There is no "refresh." Lord Randall has put a Javascript that pushes each new frame to the followers of the One True Comic. Besides, your post is fail on so many other levels (ads? pft!). The sea is big, the river is small.

So take THAT!

EDIT

Is that our Blitzgirl???

{also worked on spaces above quote}

Or is it Pope Helper? Hard to say one way or the other, with a nick like that, and even assuming it isn't someone else being deliberately misleading.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Helper

Postby Helper » Thu May 02, 2013 5:28 am UTC

KarMann wrote:Or is it Pope Helper? Hard to say one way or the other, with a nick like that, and even assuming it isn't someone else being deliberately misleading.

I did nothing.
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!

NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Thu May 02, 2013 5:30 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:
Spoiler:
(Someone's probably already ninja'd me with this one, but as I've said before I'm no BlitzGirl.)

"Wonderful Walk"
(Imagine this in Cueball's voice)1

Don't know nothin' 'bout hydrology.
Don't know much geology.
Do okay at arkitekcher1 though,
But don't know why I always build so slow.

But I do know how to build with sand,
And with you with me to lend a hand,
What a wonderful day by the sea.

Don't know much about the hills and all.
Don't know where the rain's s'posed to fall.
Don't know much about the risin' sea.
Don't know who that little girl could be.

But I do know how to walk all day,
And with you with me to lead the way,
What a wonderful walk this would be.

Now I don't claim to be an ex-plorer,
But I'm tryin' to be.
And I think that maybe
A walk with you, baby,
Might a-splain this world to me.

Don't know why the dirt was turning gray.2
Don't know how to aim a trebuchet.3
Don't know why the water tastes so foul.5
Don't know if I thought to pack a towel.8

But the sea is big; the river's small.
And with you with me too see it all,
What a wonderful walk this would be.

1. What, you don't know what Cueball's voice sounds like? Haven't you been listening?
1. "Don't know how to spell arkitekcher."
2. "And smelling like mustard."
3. "But I can spell it!"
5. "But I've had worse."
8. "I'm no hoopy frood."

Edit: Fixed footnote numbers. 1 2 many people complained.

I LOVE this!!!

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Thu May 02, 2013 5:31 am UTC

KarMann wrote:
pelrigg wrote:Found in the comment section of The Economist Blog (reported early) Linked to by AluisioASG above also:

So take THAT!

EDIT

Is that our Blitzgirl???

{also worked on spaces above quote}

Or is it Pope Helper? Hard to say one way or the other, with a nick like that, and even assuming it isn't someone else being deliberately misleading.

Sorry I added paean's statement while you were writing this

CatHectic

Postby CatHectic » Thu May 02, 2013 5:34 am UTC

Exodies wrote:
lgw wrote:Since I'm not going to try to read the whole thread, perhaps the regulars can help me. Was there a consensus on the line "The river hasn't even reached the sea yet"? The rest of the speech made some sort of sense, but that's just odd. I'm sure this has been discussed to death (and perhaps even a papal scism leading to a crusade, given what I've seen of this thread) - any insights?

I always felt that the text had been ignored. It was turned into a chant, but I haven't seen any serious (snigger) attempt to close read it. It's as if we the people believed the words just dropped out of a cracker.

Blind-posting while blitzing, cos I've been pondering this for a bit.

What if they're not just exploring? What if finding more fresh water is a matter of survival? They found one source, that they expected to continue until it reached the sea, but it's drying up instead; it's even retreating. They both confirm that the sea water isn't drinkable. And yet the sea is rising: it rains on the sea, but that doesn't do them any good; so they have to follow the shore in the hope that they'll find those other rivers.

I dunno, but I don't think it fits any worse than any of our other semenatedbabycoffee theories....

(and I'll throw in the instrumental Lake Shore Driving by (post-teenybop) Duran Duran, cos I can.)

edited to fix link
Your Larghissimographer, collector of the xkcd Time Travel Mix

Keep going, BlitzGirl the Next (that's you, Vytron! And you too, edo!): remember, tempo rubato, tempo di fulmineo! Please keep sending us news of your progress, with all your blitz class and blitz style...

AK49BWL

Postby AK49BWL » Thu May 02, 2013 5:41 am UTC

KarMann wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Well, the UTC stamp on every post also messes with my head at this point. And over-the-counter drugs will never be the same again.

I removed the UTC claim, since it's not true anyway; I wish the time display options would clarify that. While I was at it, I added the Unix time (seconds since epoch), 'cuz that's how I roll.

I was honestly wondering if I was the only one :D

Latent22.. I LOVE your avatar!!!

I go coma now. I'd stick around to ninja everyone on the Newpix, but eh... I'm face-keyboarding right now so that idea's probably out.
Follower of the One True Comic

patzer

Postby patzer » Thu May 02, 2013 5:41 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:incidents

That was funny.
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu May 02, 2013 5:42 am UTC

PhoenixRising wrote:That entire exchange between you and BlitzGirl, and now this... you're giving me chills. That's some deep stuff. I like it.
It is inspired by the people that populated the One True Thread. I can't quite put my finger on exactly how or why the OTT has this effect, and perhaps it is best that it remain a mystery. It's probably one of those Heisenberg things - if you understand it, it stops working. :)

But really - it's all quite amazing. And you too:

PhoenixRising wrote:
xspeedballx wrote:... At the expense of what?
There is no expense. For as much Time as we have spent, we have grown in proportion. All in balance.
I dare say, you also have the gift of seeing far beyond most.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Thu May 02, 2013 5:44 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
azule wrote:<snip>
yappobiscuits wrote:Excerpt from The Lord of the Bags, The Fellowship of the Bag
<snip/>

Great prose! Yep, you might have got included in BlitzGirl's comic as an active poster with that kind of material.

Well, I don't want anyone getting the impression I actually came up with any of that! It's virtually entirely taken from Tolkien's original, just with a few things twerked to make it about the OTC instead. But hmm, maybe some actual original OTC fanfic may happen... maybe...

Oh. Well, you definitely gave me a good taste of what must be a good series of books. I've never read them.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Thu May 02, 2013 5:47 am UTC

I am off to coma for the night, see you all tomorrow.

PS: Patzer, that is funny as hell.

Helper

Postby Helper » Thu May 02, 2013 5:49 am UTC

Nobody cracked my AES :cry:

XonqNopp

Postby XonqNopp » Thu May 02, 2013 5:53 am UTC

Morning everyone, back from coma... And yes1.

1 There are other rivers.
RandallsWhimsyist - WWRD (What Would Randall Draw

Wait well, all of you blitzers!

I guess that it will be the End of Time. Wait for it.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Thu May 02, 2013 5:57 am UTC

Angelastic wrote:
But… quarks doesn't rhyme with parks and sharks. :?

Also, I am not sure whether your comment on poetry is a criticism of my method of detecting haiku (in which case it's entirely valid, and maybe next I'll write a program that searches for things with certain rhythms or rhymes, just for fun. I mean what if someone has unintentionally written something that could be sung to the tune of 'Never Gonna Give You Up' and they even don't realise it? I originally made the Haiku Detector because a friend saw Times Haiku and wanted to see if there were any haiku in her thesis, but Time Haiku seemed an appropriate thing to look for to test it) or an implication that my little poem (to the tune of I Love The Things That People Make) about BlitzGirl's comic has no rhythm or reason (in which case I'd be sad.)

Quite tricky to stick your whether to an or there. No reason to be sad, your work on the hidden haiku is Big, but I was inspired by your little poem. It made me wonder what if car mechanics worked the same way human surgeons do, just saw bits off.
My quarks rhyme with sharks; what do yours rhyme with?

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Thu May 02, 2013 5:59 am UTC

Selcouth wrote:
Selcouth wrote:*exhales*

Oooookay! Greetings. I've wanted to make an account since the beginning of (t)(T)ime, but I made myself hold back until I'd finished reading this thread completely and when work got a little less hectic. Which is now! I was keeping up when the Madness dissipated, but then I got hit with a new project at work and then bam, 100+ more pages when I next sat down to read this.

...Time is awesome. And I just sang BlitzGirl's song to myself and it got stuck in my head while I was working out. Also awesome.

Quoting my original post since it just got approved and is now drowning twenty pages back.

Welcome from one not that much older in the mix.
I know how you feel about the "approval blues". Joined on the weekend and it seemed to take forever to get the "first" on line.
{My post count jumped during the "bag affair"}

EDIT
oh nifty 50
just noticed
really I did
Last edited by pelrigg on Thu May 02, 2013 6:01 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Thu May 02, 2013 5:59 am UTC

AK49BWL wrote:Latent22.. I LOVE your avatar!!!

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Thu May 02, 2013 6:01 am UTC

F'LONG!
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Thu May 02, 2013 6:01 am UTC

DINGDONGTHEWITCHISDEAD

Spoiler:

Aaaaand ninja'd.

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Thu May 02, 2013 6:02 am UTC

What might she be carrying I wonder? A Towel? Something to get the water bottle back?

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Thu May 02, 2013 6:07 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:What might she be carrying I wonder? A Towel? Something to get the water bottle back?

I'm thinking rope for getting the steam/water bottle back. Maybe by one of them holding onto the other end while going into the river¹ so as not to be washed away. But let's not get carried away here. :wink:

1: small
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Thu May 02, 2013 6:10 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:What might she be carrying I wonder? A Towel? Something to get the water bottle back?

I think it's a rope.
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Thu May 02, 2013 6:13 am UTC

On another (older) subject: Does anyone else find themselves trying to pronounce "bboz dr yndn" as it's spelled (without semi-rot13-decryption) when looking at BlitzGirl's glorious comic? Not only do I, but to make matters worse, sometimes I think of the middle word as "doctor". :?

Added:
CatHectic wrote:(and I'll throw in the instrumental Lake Shore Driving by (post-teenybop) Duran Duran, cos I can.)

edited to fix link

Well, to be honest, I was already on a bit of a Duran² kick today, and by coincidence, that track just came up in the random play. So, no excuse or justification needed.

2: that wasn't a footnote, you fool!
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Thu May 02, 2013 6:23 am UTC

Time synced at 19843.
Selecting new quote…

Selcouth

Postby Selcouth » Thu May 02, 2013 6:28 am UTC

tman2nd wrote:

I think it's a rope.

Well, since it's a river, the water bottle (though it looks more like a waterskin) seems to be trapped in the sediment. So I assume they're going to rope it back in.

Though, since the water bottle is visible, the river must be almost entirely dry, otherwise the bottle would be covered by water and not visible to us....
"But I've never seen the Icarus story as a lesson about the limitations of humans... I see it as a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive."

-Randall Munroe

AUS

Postby AUS » Thu May 02, 2013 6:31 am UTC

Selcouth wrote:Though, since the water bottle is visible, the river must be almost entirely dry, otherwise the bottle would be covered by water and not visible to us....

Or it's floating.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”