1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Helper
Duly Elected Pope of the One True Comic

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Helper » Thu May 02, 2013 7:24 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
Helper wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
Helper wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
Helper wrote:
Prosthetic_Lips wrote:Ooh, I can answer the last one. If you have seen Monsters, Inc., and remember the scene with Abominable and he offers them yellow snowcones ...
No, no, no. Don't worry. It's lemon.

Yeah, sure. Lemon. I'm still waiting for them to press charges against 'ole Abominable...

What did he ever do to you?!?!

HE MADE ME DRINK URINE!

Are you sure it was urine? Did you keep a sample?

What kind of question is that? Of course I kept a sample. I keep samples of anything that might be urine.
...remind me to never invite anybody over to my place.

... So no potluck this Friday? Well crap, now what am I going to do on Friday???

Well, I mean, we could still potluck... Nothing say we have to use my house. I've always wanted to break into somebody's house (while they're home) and just start acting like I should be there:
"Helper: Excellent food, if I do say so myself.
Opiboble: Yes, yes indeed. *smokes cigar*
Helper: *prepares tea and crumpets*
Obiboble: Yes, well--
Homeowner: Hey! Well the hell do you think you're doing!?!
Helper: But... but potluck...
Homeowner: :?: Alright..."
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!
Oh well. At least we still have our sandcastle.

NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Thu May 02, 2013 7:29 pm UTC

for chem1190c, doeanethum, and latent22
Attachments
chem1190c-hat-s.jpg
chem1190c-hat-s.jpg (4.74 KiB) Viewed 13583 times
doeanethum-hat.png
doeanethum-hat.png (17.1 KiB) Viewed 13583 times
Latent22-hat.png
Latent22-hat.png (29.32 KiB) Viewed 13583 times

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Thu May 02, 2013 7:29 pm UTC

pdg wrote:
Exodies wrote:
Bytes wrote:I was not aware of any OTC drinking games! These sound awesome ^.^ If probably a little slow if you're waiting for actions on each newpic...

Not slow at all. The ingenious designers have used every tiny damn thing as a trigger.

Reminds me of the time I added a drinking game trigger where you had to take a drink when someone else took a drink.

Never, ever, let a programmer who is in the midst of a dalliance with recursive programming techniques make up drinking game rules.

I know people (who are not programmers, just professional drinkers) who can do the:
"I'll drink to that."
"And I'll drink to you drinking to that."
"And I'll drink to you drinking to my drinking to that."
"And I'll drink to you drinking to my drinking to your drinking to that"
etc. etc. etc.....
Gets real confusing when there's more than two people involved.....
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

Helper

Postby Helper » Thu May 02, 2013 7:31 pm UTC

pelrigg wrote:
pdg wrote:
Exodies wrote:
Bytes wrote:I was not aware of any OTC drinking games! These sound awesome ^.^ If probably a little slow if you're waiting for actions on each newpic...

Not slow at all. The ingenious designers have used every tiny damn thing as a trigger.

Reminds me of the time I added a drinking game trigger where you had to take a drink when someone else took a drink.

Never, ever, let a programmer who is in the midst of a dalliance with recursive programming techniques make up drinking game rules.

I know people (who are not programmers, just professional drinkers) who can do the:
"I'll drink to that."
"And I'll drink to you drinking to that."
"And I'll drink to you drinking to my drinking to that."
"And I'll drink to you drinking to my drinking to your drinking to that"
etc. etc. etc.....
Gets real confusing when there's more than two people involved.....

Exponential alcohol poisoning. How horrifying.
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!

NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

Eoink

Postby Eoink » Thu May 02, 2013 7:31 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
Eoink wrote:
SBN wrote:
mscha wrote:
Ardaglash wrote:Has anyone thought about what will happen when the OTC has more frames than XKCD has comics? (I've been skimming this needle-pulled-thing, but in no way have I read the whole shebang...)

XKCD has 1206 comics as of yesterday; Aubronwood puts the OTC at 1041 pix. If that count is correct, and the current pace of newpix remains steady, then the OTC will surpass XKCD in 173 newpix...

Aubronwood is missing one newpix and is thus 1 behind. At the time of your post, the official OTC frame count was 1042; right now it is 1044.
See here for a convenient list of frames with links to the newpix.

The official count may be 1044, but there are three missing/apocryphal frames between 255 and 256.

*snipped*

Surely The Lord Randall didn't start with 8 bit arrays!

It's fully explained here:
http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043&p=3339649&hilit=server+256#p3339649
But briefly:
sparehead3 wrote:All the filename hashes above are indeed available at imgs.xkcd.com/comics/time/... But I do believe that during that odd double-update period, the images for frames 259, 260 and 261 were accidentally saved with the same filenames that frames 256, 257 and 258 had. Since then, Aubron's site and my image folder have been exactly three frames out of sync (As of 6am EDT, my frame #921 corresponds with Aubron's frame #918).

This is not Aubron's fault- I'm fairly certain something happened on the server where all the files are stored. Frames 252 through 255 were duplicated and given different filename hashes, so it's probable that whatever was responsible for that also duplicated frames 259, 260 and 261 and gave the duplicates the same filename hashes as frames 256, 257 and 258- accidentally writing over those files.

I remember the discussion, my comment was an old 8 bit processor coder piece of whimsy, when it was stated there was an issue between 255 and 256, I was suggesting that TLR had used an array with a single byte index so that it wrapped around to 0 after 255 and caused the issue.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Thu May 02, 2013 7:32 pm UTC

pelrigg wrote:
SBN wrote:Image

Did someone say "fire"?

I thought Megan was just eating the rope and
Spoiler:
Cueball was taking a shit.

edit: that was my 200th post?
Last edited by Valarya on Thu May 02, 2013 7:33 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Thu May 02, 2013 7:33 pm UTC

Helper wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
Helper wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
Helper wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
Helper wrote:
Prosthetic_Lips wrote:Ooh, I can answer the last one. If you have seen Monsters, Inc., and remember the scene with Abominable and he offers them yellow snowcones ...

Yeah, sure. Lemon. I'm still waiting for them to press charges against 'ole Abominable...

HE MADE ME DRINK URINE!

What kind of question is that? Of course I kept a sample. I keep samples of anything that might be urine.

... So no potluck this Friday? Well crap, now what am I going to do on Friday???

Well, I mean, we could still potluck... Nothing say we have to use my house. I've always wanted to break into somebody's house (while they're home) and just start acting like I should be there:

Sounds like a plan!!! Lets break into Buffygirl's house, maybe I can get a hat then, also it would be less likely to get us shot.
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

Helper

Postby Helper » Thu May 02, 2013 7:35 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:it would be less likely to get us shot.

...you didn't think that all the way through, did you? :D

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Thu May 02, 2013 7:36 pm UTC

Helper wrote:
Opiboble wrote:it would be less likely to get us shot.

...you didn't think that all the way through, did you? :D

No... no I didn't, my fingers got ahead of my brain, it happens a lot.
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Thu May 02, 2013 7:44 pm UTC

Hat-Queue-Mob is now accepting hat requests. Please place order entreaty via PM as well as via posting, so that if I miss your post I don't miss your request.

Recall that requests are NOT fulfilled in the order received, so it doesn't matter if you made your previously rejected request before somebody else's.1

WOOT!

1 Hmmm, actually .... since at some point I will put new requests in the phqmm, go ahead and include a link to your original request, if you want.2
2 I think I'm starting to take this too seriously again.

penis vagina

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Thu May 02, 2013 7:48 pm UTC

lassehp wrote:
TheMinim wrote:How do you tell when anyone's depressed, let alone a faceless stickman?

/Lasse
who is depressed occasionally, and uses that one as a Facebook profile picture on those occasions.

Cannot detect depression...

Detected defect in self...

Cannot rectify at this time.
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Thu May 02, 2013 7:49 pm UTC

The world of Time could be a small scale test run of the universe created in xkcd 505, "A Bunch of Rocks."

Being a test run, it contains only a few objects and characters. There may or may not, for instance, be a sun. (We haven't seen night. At present it's still possible that either night has occurred between newpix, or that everything so far has occurred in a single day. However, the longer we Wait For It with no visible nightfall and no mention of experiencing or preparing for nighttime by the protagonists, the stranger that absence will seem.)
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Thu May 02, 2013 7:49 pm UTC

Ebonite wrote:
<snip1>

When I was born, "Heartaches By The Number" by Guy Mitchell was the #1 song.

<snip2>

I was really, really impressed with jjjdavidson's song "Wonderful Walk". I appreciate it when a parodist (is that a word?) not only preserves rhyme scheme, but proper meter! That work of art belongs somewhere in the OTC Hall of Fame next to BlitzGirl's grid, BuffyGirl's hats, aubronwood's site, etc.

<snip3>

I've also wondered: what are the chances that Randall had a plan for doing something that he thought would be tricky or clever, such as:
    replacing an old image with a different one, or
    throwing in a "go to" loop to an old image thinking no one would notice the loop, or
    hiding something under the white screen during the great Fadeout that he thought no one would see
but was reading the forum and realized he couldn't do what he planned anymore because he discovered we were tracking everything so closely?

Alternatively, what are the chances that Randall really thought we'd have figured this all out by now, has been reading the forum, and every day does a facepalm? "Noooo! 1000 images and they STILL haven't figured out what's going on yet? How many clues do I have to give them??"

1 -- I remember that song. You're not that much olde-- er, chronologically enhanced than I am. :wink:

2 -- I agree!!! And I think I was horribly remiss in not complementing him/her/xim/xer/quim/quer/ya'll'ins on it! Fabulous work, jjj! :D

3 -- Perhaps, but I do wonder/suspect that Randall has never even cared to read post one of this forum. He probably knows of its existence and has had some feedback of the insanity/insights inside, but I doubt if it has much influence on what he intended or intends to do with Time. All we can do is Wait for It.

EDITED for formatting and because there was something amiss because I should have been remiss, which I originally missed.
Last edited by StratPlayer on Fri May 03, 2013 1:36 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

lunarul

Postby lunarul » Thu May 02, 2013 7:51 pm UTC

edfel wrote:First thing first:
Spoiler:
1) Where are M&C ?
a- some fantasy world, nothing like anything we know
b- some fantasy world with lots of similarities with earth (but still, no wind, etc.) Somehow like 1110's...
c- earth (nowadays), that would explain the Ikea (see 4)
d- earth, in the past -> but then, when in the past.
e- earth, in the future -> so what happened in between so that some rivers "have not yet reached the sea"
f- other

2) What have they done all the time before being on the beach?
a- nothing, they just popped into existence. With the knowledge of what a castle should look like, and how to build a trebuchet.
b- they had a normal life, they know what a castle looks like but they happen to have [originally] no idea how many rivers there are
c- they had an almost normal life, but lost memories somehow
d- other

3) How many people in this world?
a- like earth: lots of them, we just don't see them
b- just a few (M&C, LaPetite, and presumably some others....)
c- other

3) Where do they take their supplies from ? Did they pay for all this ?
a- Ikea or similar. They just parked their car out of frame, and paid by credit cards.
b- the supplies just happened to lay there somewhere around
c- they manufactured everything from scratch
b- other

And other fundamental questions :
4) Are there cats where they are? (At least there are hats)
5) Will they ever meet Santa Claus?
6) What question should we ask to understand ?

Theory A (the easy one)
Spoiler:
1) Where are M&C ?
b- some fantasy world with lots of similarities with earth (but still, no wind, etc.) Somehow like 1110's...
Like most xkcd comics.
Also, they are shipwrecked somewhere, to be determined if it's an island.

b- they had a normal life, they know what a castle looks like but they happen to have [originally] no idea how many rivers there are
They probably had a normal life until the shipwreck. They have been here for a while before the comic started, so they already know about one river and saw the sea rise and fall before. But as kids (did I mention they're kids?), don't have a basic understanding of tides, the water cycle, and so on.

But the number of people around them is unknown. We just know of LaPetite. We don't even know if they're aware of her existence.

Got them from the ship's remains.

There are definitely cats somewhere.

Of course, he always finds kids wherever they are.

What is a steam bottle? My theory is that because there are no obvious hiding spots around, they'll have to pee in a bottle at one point. It's chilly outside, so the bottle is cold and steam comes out when they use it.

Theory B (the interesting one)
Spoiler:
1) Where are M&C ?
They are in a fantasy world created by our own collective imagination. It's still earht-like, because that's what we know, but things happen and appear as this thread generates them.

a- nothing, they just popped into existence. With the knowledge of what a castle should look like, and how to build a trebuchet.
Their existence started with this comic.

Just M&C for now, LaPetite is really BlitzGirl, others may appear, not even Randall knows.

b- other
They popped into existence as needed.

Not for now, but they could appear at any time

Same a 4.

6) What question should we ask to understand?
Randall knew what the comic will generate. He just had M&C wait there until we started building wild theories around it (sand castles). We should ask ourselves what other actions on this thread map to in what we've seen unfold. We've seen LaPetite which I think symbolizes BlitzGirl travels in the past, we've seen references to the endist and loopist theories, so we have already some leads..

Just my 4 cents
I'm not anti-social; I'm just not user friendly

Helper

Postby Helper » Thu May 02, 2013 7:54 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:The world of Time could be a small scale test run of the universe created in xkcd 505, "A Bunch of Rocks."

Being a test run, it contains only a few objects and characters. There may or may not, for instance, be a sun. (We haven't seen night. At present it's still possible that either night has occurred between newpix, or that everything so far has occurred in a single day. However, the longer we Wait For It with no visible nightfall and no mention of experiencing or preparing for nighttime by the protagonists, the stranger that absence will seem.)

Even with a simplified universe, the rock-processor would take far longer than an hour for each iteration. Of course, with a handle like that, I'm sure you already knew that 8-).

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Thu May 02, 2013 7:55 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:The world of Time could be a small scale test run of the universe created in xkcd 505, "A Bunch of Rocks."

I could see this being possible, it could be a very simplistic universe being simulated, basically a 2.5 dimension universe, with a "light" source with no central emission point, and all "coffeebabiewhatever" (matter) is black. No need to calculate shadows and what not.

Helper wrote:Even with a simplified universe, the rock-processor would take far longer than an hour for each iteration. Of course, with a handle like that, I'm sure you already knew that 8-).

True, but this might all be pre-coded, and the rock placer just hit run on the whole thing.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu May 02, 2013 7:57 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:Hat-Queue-Mob is now accepting hat requests. Please place order entreaty via PM as well as via posting, so that if I miss your post I don't miss your request.

Recall that requests are NOT fulfilled in the order received, so it doesn't matter if you made your previously rejected request before somebody else's.1

WOOT!

1 Hmmm, actually .... since at some point I will put new requests in the phqmm, go ahead and include a link to your original request, if you want.2

penis vagina

Marvellous, I'd love a hat for my otter!1 Shot you a pm.

1Not a euphemism.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

mathrec

Postby mathrec » Thu May 02, 2013 7:58 pm UTC

Ebonite wrote:Alternatively, what are the chances that Randall really thought we'd have figured this all out by now, has been reading the forum, and every day does a facepalm? "Noooo! 1000 images and they STILL haven't figured out what's going on yet? How many clues do I have to give them??"

I've actually given serious thought to the possibility that this community is the purpose of Randall's comic. He is well aware that there is a pool of engaged people following his (Other)comic, and he's played to that many times. He certainly knew that there would be a group of people following Time. Specifically, I wonder whether he had #915 in mind all along...

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Thu May 02, 2013 7:58 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
buffygirl wrote:Hat-Queue-Mob is now accepting hat requests. Please place order entreaty via PM as well as via posting, so that if I miss your post I don't miss your request.

WOOT!

penis vagina

Marvellous, I'd love a hat for my otter!1 Shot you a pm.

1Not a euphemism.

I don't know, you otters are into some really kinky stuff, I think it is an euphemism.

edfel

Postby edfel » Thu May 02, 2013 7:59 pm UTC

Ebonite wrote:One key question I would add to this list of questions is: what level of awareness do M&C have about their world? They know about castles. They have access to building materials such as pre-cut plan(c)ks and rope, and can construct a fairly sturdy structure on top of a sandy foundation. They have miniature trebuchets and know how to use them. And yet they seem to lack a fundamental understanding of rivers, seas, and rain. In fact, given that they keep trying to drink foul stuff, it seems like they don't understand water in general.

Why did they consider it dangerous to go out into the river to retrieve the lost bottle when the river seemed to be moving more slowly than they thought? If they were worried about Cueball getting swept away by the current, why couldn't they tie a rope around his waist while he waded out to retrieve it?

Also intriguing, from the first few frames I'd say they didn't even know what sand was...
Maybe they learned about a lot of stuff about how to build scaffoldings when they went outside the frames... but I'm still puzzled at how they intuitively start on building "classical sandcastle". Is that what one would build naturally, even if one's never heard about castles or sandcastles before?
Waiting for it: Map of Time, same, no JS, Ages of Time.
Beginning a new story with every choice, no matter how small: Goodies.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Thu May 02, 2013 8:04 pm UTC

mathrec wrote:
Ebonite wrote:Alternatively, what are the chances that Randall really thought we'd have figured this all out by now, has been reading the forum, and every day does a facepalm? "Noooo! 1000 images and they STILL haven't figured out what's going on yet? How many clues do I have to give them??"

I've actually given serious thought to the possibility that this community is the purpose of Randall's comic. He is well aware that there is a pool of engaged people following his (Other)comic, and he's played to that many times. He certainly knew that there would be a group of people following Time. Specifically, I wonder whether he had #915 in mind all along...

Honestly I wasn't going to say anything... But I dreamed of the OTC and OTT last night... My epiphany: We are all part of some "What if" post. And since we are all on the forum he has our IP's so we don't get to see the post. And the question was "What if you put up a comic that just kept going, every 30min there was a new frame? How long do you think people will keep following?"

The problem was he thought we would all give up ages ago, hence the reason he had to switch it to a newpix every 1hour in hopes to discourage us from following the OTC. We are all part of some sick twisted "What If?" post!!!

In conclusion, I am happy to be part of the Sheeple herd.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Thu May 02, 2013 8:04 pm UTC

Ok, so I added "before" photos to nearly1 all of the hats on the BuffyGirl Hat page of the wiki, but now they all say Added by Buffygirl (yes, I had previously created a wikia account). How do I insert an image so that it does NOT have that annoying caption? and/or can someone fix it for me?

1 I don't have ChronosDragon with his old hat. And actually elementropy added the hat to his own avatar, so he might should2 be in the "early gifted hats" section? His was actually the transition to hatvatars, I think.
2 "might should" tehe!

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Thu May 02, 2013 8:05 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:<snip>

3') d -- they were pulled from the hammerverse, the same rift in space-time that allows Bugs Bunny to pull a sledgehammer from behind his back
<snip>

Sorry for the self-quote, but looking back, I just realized something...

"Hammerverse" is the setting for a series of sci-fi novels by David Drake, and NOT what I meant
"Hammerspace" is the correct term and the one I should have used
"Hammertime" is something that u can't touch.

Sheesh, I get those mixed up all the time.
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu May 02, 2013 8:09 pm UTC

speising wrote:how long until there's an official dictionary OTT-English neccessary?

There's a glossary in the Wiki, though it's way outdated at this point.

Soup wrote:
BlitzgirlHelper in reply to paean May 1st, 20:47
Die heretic! There is no "refresh." Lord Randall has put a Javascript that pushes each new frame to the followers of the One True Comic. Besides, your post is fail on so many other levels (ads? pft!). The sea is big, the river is small.
I love this. Anyway, sigged.

*cringes* Not the false BlitzgirlHelper! Boooooo.

pelrigg wrote:BlitzGirl my bad for mutilating your name
{I wonder what other nastybads I've done?}

No worries! As I said, I don't particularly mind when others do that. But having it insinuated that I wouldn't know how to spell my own name (as in that Economist comment), makes me wince.

Dracomax wrote:
Spoiler:
PhoenixRising wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:
PhoenixRising wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:No! No Morse Code, the blitzers won't like that.
And DEFINITELY no Morse Code/rot13 mashups! Bad! Bad!

Where in Time is Dracomax? We seem to have lost our Inquisitor around Newpage 408... :(

I didn't see Dracomax back there. :/ He must be way back...

And five posts later, he shows up! Did you or BlitzGirl put him on a milk carton, or something?

Either he sensed me clumsily doing his Inquisition work and came to do it properly, or BlitzGirl summoned him. I tend to favor the latter.

The need for the hand of the inquisition has drawn me forward through time, summoned by the word She Who Comes With The Lightening Pixel and PhoenixRising to accomplish my work. let the merangue factories Return to Full Production, and the comfortable chairs be made ready!

Huzzah! Our Inquisitor is back with us in the Now!
I am not sure how I might have summoned him; I thought it was the milk carton that worked for Helper. But perhaps it's the Boom De Yada itself? Yet, in that case, one would think that cmyk would also appear. So I am deeply confuzzled right now. But anyway, yay for Dracomax!

StratPlayer wrote:
patzer wrote:]that was post 20000? :(
It was, at least until any Mod retro-Noob postal insertion takes place. Then it might become post 20001, 20002, 20003, etc...

More like post 20035, based on my past Questing. The whole PFANP thing is deeply out of whack for Time travelers - quite the flawed system for such a changeable thing as the thread of Time.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

fatness

Postby fatness » Thu May 02, 2013 8:09 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
mathrec wrote:

Honestly I wasn't going to say anything... But I dreamed of the OTC and OTT last night... My epiphany: We are all part of some "What if" post. And since we are all on the forum he has our IP's so we don't get to see the post. And the question was "What if you put up a comic that just kept going, every 30min there was a new frame? How long do you think people will keep following?"

The problem was he thought we would all give up ages ago, hence the reason he had to switch it to a newpix every 1hour in hopes to discourage us from following the OTC. We are all part of some sick twisted "What If?" post!!!

I mentioned some of this several NP back...
fatness wrote:
xspeedballx wrote:This may be heresy. But hear me out. Why are we doing what we are told? Why are we waiting for it? Whether it is something unknown or time itself. Should we not fill our days with bigger things and let it come to us with hat in hand?

Ah, so jaded as such a young age. OTT is the bigger thing. OTC is just the seed. Embrace the worldwide community the OTC has spawned. Open your arms and mind.

...and I stand by that analysis. The problem now is when to walk away. I mean, the fish are still alive but you have tired of the aquarium...

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu May 02, 2013 8:10 pm UTC

HEADSTRONGGGGGGGG...

-- posted by newpixbot
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Helper

Postby Helper » Thu May 02, 2013 8:12 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
mathrec wrote:

...I know some shady Russian guys who sell proxies...
Unless they colluded with Randall...
FUCK!
You have no idea how deep the rabbit hole goes man, no idea!

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Thu May 02, 2013 8:14 pm UTC

fatness wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
mathrec wrote:

I mentioned some of this several NP back...
fatness wrote:
xspeedballx wrote:This may be heresy. But hear me out. Why are we doing what we are told? Why are we waiting for it? Whether it is something unknown or time itself. Should we not fill our days with bigger things and let it come to us with hat in hand?

Ah, so jaded as such a young age. OTT is the bigger thing. OTC is just the seed. Embrace the worldwide community the OTC has spawned. Open your arms and mind.

...and I stand by that analysis. The problem now is when to walk away. I mean, the fish are still alive but you have tired of the aquarium...

That depends, is it an aquarium of beta fish?

Also, they broke out the maths!

edit: helper, it goes deep, very deep... but I have a plan, I just need the parts.

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu May 02, 2013 8:16 pm UTC

Caswallon wrote:
mscha wrote:Comparison between frame 1043 and 1046:
Spoiler:

The camera moved a bit! Quick, let's discuss the meaning of this!

Does it actually look like camera position change, or antialiasing? We did see him redo that at one point earlier...

Probably not an anti-aliasing change, no. In that case, all changes would most likely be either green (darkened) or red (lightened).
But I re-checked all of today's newpix, just in case: none of them have been changed since their *ONG time.

Montov wrote:
Spoiler:
edfel wrote:After more than 20k posts, one could think we could be closer to understanding what is really going on in this comic (best way to guess at what it is we are waiting for). As far as I've seen by lurking around here, there are lots of scattered theories which are not always diverging. Blitzgirl and other blitzers might be the ones remembering best what's been said.

So, I'd like to know y'all ideas about this and that, just to see if we are somewhere near a consensus

First thing first:
1) Where are M&C ?
e- earth, in the future -> so what happened in between so that some rivers "have not yet reached the sea"
f- other

d- other

c- other

a- Ikea or similar. They just parked their car out of frame, and paid by credit cards.
b- other

I like your curiosity. You should be the new cat.

FTFY.
Last edited by mscha on Thu May 02, 2013 8:19 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

jetpac

Postby jetpac » Thu May 02, 2013 8:18 pm UTC

mscha wrote:HEADSTRONGGGGGGGG...
Spoiler:

-- posted by newpixbot

Enough water for what? I demand answers!

Yeah, yeah, I know, wait for it...

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Thu May 02, 2013 8:19 pm UTC

I want to marry newpixbot.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

mathrec

Postby mathrec » Thu May 02, 2013 8:19 pm UTC

Helper wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
Spoiler:
Helper wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
Helper wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
Helper wrote:

HE MADE ME DRINK URINE!

OK, that might be how it goes, but I immediately thought of Donald Knuth.

Edit: Potluck on Friday at Donald Knuth's home!
Last edited by mathrec on Thu May 02, 2013 8:24 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

jetpac

Postby jetpac » Thu May 02, 2013 8:20 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:I want to marry newpixbot.

Yeah, how many times would we have missed the newpix without it?

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu May 02, 2013 8:21 pm UTC

jetpac wrote:
Spoiler:

-- posted by newpixbot

For the sea to rise so rapidly.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu May 02, 2013 8:21 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:I want to marry newpixbot.

Are you sure? It's a bit headstrong...
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

jetpac

Postby jetpac » Thu May 02, 2013 8:21 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
jetpac wrote:
Spoiler:

-- posted by newpixbot

For the sea to rise so rapidly.

Oh, look! Answers!

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu May 02, 2013 8:24 pm UTC

Well, they walk pretty darn slow, so that's one sluggish River.1

1small.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu May 02, 2013 8:26 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Well, they walk pretty darn slow, so that's one sluggish river.

I'm a bit disappointed¹ that nobody has calculated the estimated discharge of the river yet, based on an estimate of the width of the river and Megan's assumptions.

Edit:
¹: translation: I'm too lazy to, so somebody please do it for me. ;)
Last edited by mscha on Thu May 02, 2013 8:32 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

FullOfIt

Postby FullOfIt » Thu May 02, 2013 8:27 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:
TheMinim wrote:How do you tell when anyone's depressed, let alone a faceless stickman?

If they're well-designed, you get that little key-click sound, and a bit of tactile feedback.

Double laugh from me for that one. First I missed the pun and just laughed at the silliness, and then I got it and laughed again. Sometimes it pays to be from another country. :D

edfel

Postby edfel » Thu May 02, 2013 8:28 pm UTC

lunarul wrote:
edfel wrote:First thing first:
Spoiler:
1) Where are M&C ?
f- other

d- other

c- other

b- other

Theory A (the easy one)
Spoiler:
1) Where are M&C ?
Like most xkcd comics.
Also, they are shipwrecked somewhere, to be determined if it's an island.

They probably had a normal life until the shipwreck. They have been here for a while before the comic started, so they already know about one river and saw the sea rise and fall before. But as kids (did I mention they're kids?), don't have a basic understanding of tides, the water cycle, and so on.

But the number of people around them is unknown. We just know of LaPetite. We don't even know if they're aware of her existence.

Got them from the ship's remains.

There are definitely cats somewhere.

Of course, he always finds kids wherever they are.

What is a steam bottle? My theory is that because there are no obvious hiding spots around, they'll have to pee in a bottle at one point. It's chilly outside, so the bottle is cold and steam comes out when they use it.

Theory B (the interesting one)
Spoiler:
1) Where are M&C ?
They are in a fantasy world created by our own collective imagination. It's still earht-like, because that's what we know, but things happen and appear as this thread generates them.

Their existence started with this comic.

Just M&C for now, LaPetite is really BlitzGirl, others may appear, not even Randall knows.

b- other
They popped into existence as needed.

Not for now, but they could appear at any time

Same a 4.

6) What question should we ask to understand?

Randall knew what the comic will generate. He just had M&C wait there until we started building wild theories around it (sand castles). We should ask ourselves what other actions on this thread map to in what we've seen unfold. We've seen LaPetite which I think symbolizes BlitzGirl travels in the past, we've seen references to the endist and loopist theories, so we have already some leads..
Just my 4 cents

Okay, so whatever is mentioned gets more likely to appear in the Future. Woaw, interesting... as long as there's some filters (unless they actually start pulling out bagd puns, or anti-epileptic gifs).
We can somehow test this theory...

cat riding kite, cat riding kite, cat riding kite, cat riding kite

mscha wrote:
Montov wrote:I like your curiosity. You should be the new cat.

FTFY.

:)
Waiting for it: Map of Time, same, no JS, Ages of Time.
Beginning a new story with every choice, no matter how small: Goodies.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”