1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

kryton

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby kryton » Thu May 02, 2013 8:29 pm UTC

Accidental Time Tourist Journal
Coordinates top of page 428 of 505

Wow you all are moving faster in the present, i seem to be falling farther into the past, for every page i move forward, you get 2 more pages ahead. It must be quite exciting up there in the present! Well, I shall journey on, hoping to catch up again one day...

The discussion is still centered over the changing of the color values in what is dubbed 'the fading' and the far right castle is falling into the sea. Also some side discussions on pronunciation as well as re-categorizing the eras.

A few notes that BlitzGirl is missing (oh no!) but Exodies found her, and from the sigs I know she arrived and one day I shall as well.

Some of the avatars have changed a lot, I'm intriqued to catch up to see what inspired the surge of creativity.

Angelastic is concerned over what her avatar is carrying. I saw it and immediately thouhgt of the old black and white movies with the attractive young woman (cigarette girl) carrying a tray calling out "cigars, cigarettes, candy!?" Though now she is standing next to a stack of haiku, neat!

I loved the never-ending-story-adaptation :)

tman2nd wrote:Maybe we will see LaPetite entering in the last few frames of the fading.

hmm, by the magic of geekwagon i see that prediction can true, are you Randall in disguise or is Randall just pwning us?

Some Encouraging Sigs:
lmjb1964 wrote:To Vytron, kryton and others who are blitzgirling, Wait well! You can do it!

Thank you, although I worry that new verb could be misinterpreted :oops:

outside calls (sigh)
1298 and counting

Febrion

Postby Febrion » Thu May 02, 2013 8:35 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Well, they walk pretty darn slow, so that's one sluggish river.

I'm a bit disappointed that nobody has calculated the estimated discharge of the river yet, based on an estimate of the width of the river and Megan's assumptions.

Uh, yeah, so you can just leave me out of any discussions about "discharge"

Also, HATS!!! I really need to get to finishing my avatar, it's ok for a placeholder, but definitely not hat-worthy yet. (The text IS using the 'ms trebuchet' font, that should count for something). If I remember correctly, I think there was a comic with the bjt actually embedded in cueball (rotated, of course) - I may have to appropriate that...
Temporal Knight Sir Junction, Lord of the Sawtooth Snap
Time flies like a River, sand flies like a Trebuchét

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Thu May 02, 2013 8:37 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
Valarya wrote:I want to marry newpixbot.

Are you sure? It's a bit headstrong...

Does it have a dilgunerang feature?
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Thu May 02, 2013 8:38 pm UTC

mscha wrote:

I'm a bit disappointed¹ that nobody has calculated the estimated discharge of the river yet, based on an estimate of the width of the river and Megan's assumptions.

Edit:
¹: translation: I'm too lazy to, so somebody please do it for me. ;)

It is safe to assume it is less than the Amazon

Soup

Postby Soup » Thu May 02, 2013 8:38 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
Soup wrote:
BlitzgirlHelper in reply to paean May 1st, 20:47
Die heretic! There is no "refresh." Lord Randall has put a Javascript that pushes each new frame to the followers of the One True Comic. Besides, your post is fail on so many other levels (ads? pft!). The sea is big, the river is small.
I love this. Anyway, sigged.

*cringes* Not the false BlitzgirlHelper! Boooooo.

Sorry, undo'd :oops:
Waiting for it...

Go username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, Rakhal, thunk!!

lunarul

Postby lunarul » Thu May 02, 2013 8:39 pm UTC

Febrion wrote:
Spoiler:
mscha wrote:

I'm a bit disappointed that nobody has calculated the estimated discharge of the river yet, based on an estimate of the width of the river and Megan's assumptions.

Uh, yeah, so you can just leave me out of any discussions about "discharge"
Also, HATS!!! I really need to get to finishing my avatar, it's ok for a placeholder, but definitely not hat-worthy yet. (The text IS using the 'ms trebuchet' font, that should count for something). If I remember correctly, I think there was a comic with the bjt actually embedded in cueball (rotated, of course) - I may have to appropriate that...

You mean this comic: http://xkcd.com/442/
I'm not anti-social; I'm just not user friendly

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu May 02, 2013 8:41 pm UTC

Soup wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
Soup wrote:
BlitzgirlHelper in reply to paean May 1st, 20:47
Die heretic! There is no "refresh." Lord Randall has put a Javascript that pushes each new frame to the followers of the One True Comic. Besides, your post is fail on so many other levels (ads? pft!). The sea is big, the river is small.
I love this. Anyway, sigged.

*cringes* Not the false BlitzgirlHelper! Boooooo.

Sorry, undo'd :oops:

It's okay *pats* feel free to use the quote! I just don't like the name the commenter chose. :roll:
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

FullOfIt

Postby FullOfIt » Thu May 02, 2013 8:42 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:for chem1190c, doeanethum, and latent22

FWIW, from an unknown entity such as myself (although I know myself well enough), I'm continuously blown away by the creativity displayed in your hat making skills. Many people have the skills to play with opacities (where all the opas live) in Photoshop, but most wouldn't be able to do what you do. Truly gifted.

End of embarrassing praise.

And now I've finally reached the end of today's 30 page ketchup-blitz. Time to make my eyes close.

jdj42

Postby jdj42 » Thu May 02, 2013 8:43 pm UTC

More text. I love text.

airdrik

Postby airdrik » Thu May 02, 2013 8:44 pm UTC

mathrec wrote: ...
OK, that might be how it goes, but I immediately thought of Donald Knuth.

So after checking that link, I went on to the next one, and found it to be terribly appropriate. We can certainly try to analyze, theorize, define, and in whatever ways we can figure it out which takes a lot of effort and is prone to error (especially in the case of this comic because like the sea (which is big) it does what it wants); or we can simply wait [for it] and see.
I like to hold particularly to the line in that comic "The state of the world isn't really my responsibility. I'm just thrilled to get to watch."

Tatiana

Postby Tatiana » Thu May 02, 2013 8:45 pm UTC

I sent a PM requesting a hat. Would be thrilled for one, but I feel unworthy, with my few paltry posts, so no pressure.
οττξЃs gotta OTT, so come to the facebook OTT group!

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Thu May 02, 2013 8:47 pm UTC

jdj42 wrote:More text. I love text.

Really good with ketchup and mustard, a side of fries, a milkshake, and don't forget the stale bread thingies.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

mathrec

Postby mathrec » Thu May 02, 2013 8:48 pm UTC

airdrik wrote:

So after checking that link, I went on to the next one, and found it to be terribly appropriate. We can certainly try to analyze, theorize, define, and in whatever ways we can figure it out which takes a lot of effort and is prone to error (especially in the case of this comic because like the sea (which is big) it does what it wants); or we can simply wait [for it] and see.
I like to hold particularly to the line in that comic "The state of the world isn't really my responsibility. I'm just thrilled to get to watch."

This poster also sums it up nicely...

jetpac

Postby jetpac » Thu May 02, 2013 8:53 pm UTC

Tatiana wrote:... Would be thrilled for one, but I feel unworthy, with my few paltry posts, so no pressure.

I feel the same way. Also, I don't have an avatar yet, so that might make things difficult...

airdrik

Postby airdrik » Thu May 02, 2013 8:53 pm UTC

mathrec wrote:
airdrik wrote:

Well, we do we have charts which tell us exactly how much each user contributed to the flooding in the OTT.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Thu May 02, 2013 8:56 pm UTC

airdrik wrote:
mathrec wrote:
airdrik wrote:

Well, we do we have charts which tell us exactly how much each user contributed to the flooding in the OTT.

Man I have a long way to go to the top :/
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

Caswallon

Postby Caswallon » Thu May 02, 2013 8:57 pm UTC

airdrik wrote:
mathrec wrote:
airdrik wrote:

"Contributing" is a generous word for the content of most of our posts :wink:
histrion wrote:"Gunaxf gb gur Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv, zl jbex cebqhpgvivgl unf qrpernfrq qenzngvpnyyl! Gunaxf, Rayvtugrarq Barf!"

Precepter and historian of the Chruch of the Newpage. achoo

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Thu May 02, 2013 8:58 pm UTC

This is for patzer. No, he/she didn't ask for this. No, she/he probably doesn't want to incur the wrath of buffygirl.
patzer.jpg
Amber toned.
patzer.jpg (16.23 KiB) Viewed 16076 times

You see what it is. Hope you like it. Ask for any changes you desire. I'll try to make them.

Don't feel compelled to use it. Though, of course, you could use it. Just made it for fun. :mrgreen:

*sits in the comfy chair*

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

jetpac

Postby jetpac » Thu May 02, 2013 8:58 pm UTC

airdrik wrote:
mathrec wrote:
airdrik wrote:

hoo boy, I'm almost into the top 100! After 3 days!

*pats self on back*

VoronX

Postby VoronX » Thu May 02, 2013 9:00 pm UTC

(Greetings from NP 455)

buffygirl wrote:
VoronX wrote:Gee Willikers, all these hats has got me seriously jealous. Buffygirl, can I have one too? Should it be a Haida hat to match my sig?

Current Hat Queue Mob is full. I have added you to the phqmm*

*pre-hat-queue-mob-mob

Thank you so very much, Oh great Hattrix1!! I feel honored and will certainly
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

1 - Or do hattrix honors only get bestowed if you make three hats in one day?
A humble Pilgrim0 awash in the Sea1 of TimeS, unstuck, observing the wonderful Stars therin . . . waiting for IT.
0 - Billy
1 - BIG
S - Like a River2?

2 - small, and a host of other adjectives

woods

Postby woods » Thu May 02, 2013 9:02 pm UTC

HEAGREESONG

*Edited: I got future ninja-ed.
Last edited by woods on Thu May 02, 2013 9:06 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

123Adz321

Postby 123Adz321 » Thu May 02, 2013 9:03 pm UTC

Not a URL-ONG

Dear Time travellers, I bring a gift from the future: A userscript for Chrome (Tampermonkey) or Firefox (Greasemonkey)
This will convert outside time to the One True Time of Newpix
- Courtesy of Pikrass
Spoiler:

Caswallon

Postby Caswallon » Thu May 02, 2013 9:03 pm UTC

Well... that's closer than most people get ;)
histrion wrote:"Gunaxf gb gur Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv, zl jbex cebqhpgvivgl unf qrpernfrq qenzngvpnyyl! Gunaxf, Rayvtugrarq Barf!"

Precepter and historian of the Chruch of the Newpage. achoo

woods

Postby woods » Thu May 02, 2013 9:05 pm UTC

Caswallon wrote:

Well... that's closer than most people get ;)

Dang it, I was focusing too much on bolding the ONG that I forgot the img tags... Saaaaad.

Pikrass

Postby Pikrass » Thu May 02, 2013 9:07 pm UTC

Everybody stand back!

Do these heretic dates on every message annoy you? Would you like them to be in the OTU (One Time Unit)?
I have a solution for you: the Newpix Convertor!

Install GreaseMonkey or equivalent if you didn't already (it works at least on Firefox's GreaseMonkey and on Chrome's TamperMonkey), then install this user script.

Then, the date will turn into this: Image.
It only does so on the OTC, even though it's capable of displaying pre-Time dates, because "newpix 35985 B.T.¹" is still pretty hard to read. Hopefully as the OTU will spread we'll get more used to it.

At the moment it only works if you didn't change the default date format (in fact, it works with whatever format Javascript can parse natively).
It will display the correct newpix whatever your timezone is. It even works with creepy timezones like UTC+4:45. It also takes into account the transition when the Outside sped up.

You can easily browse the source (and submit patches, bugs or suggestions) here: https://gist.github.com/Pikrass/5505334

¹ Before Time
Programmer and waiter devoted to Time.

Scripts for the One True Thread: heretic date to newpix converter; spoiler detector; multiquote; extra hide button for spoilers.
Code, links and instructions on Github.
Bundle (Firefox only)

treadman

Postby treadman » Thu May 02, 2013 9:10 pm UTC

Pikrass wrote:Everybody stand back!

Do these heretic dates on every message annoy you? Would you like them to be in the OTU (One Time Unit)?

Install GreaseMonkey or equivalent if you didn't already (it works at least on Firefox's GreaseMonkey and on Chrome's TamperMonkey), then install this user script.

It only does so on the OTC, even though it's capable of displaying pre-Time dates, because "newpix 35985 B.T.¹" is still pretty hard to read. Hopefully as the OTU will spread we'll get more used to it.

At the moment it only works if you didn't change the default date format (in fact, it works with whatever format Javascript can parse natively).
It will display the correct newpix whatever your timezone is. It even works with creepy timezones like UTC+4:45. It also takes into account the transition when the Outside sped up.

You can easily browse the source (and submit patches, bugs or suggestions) here: https://gist.github.com/Pikrass/5505334

¹ Before Time

Captain's log, newpix 1049.40 ...

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Thu May 02, 2013 9:11 pm UTC

¹ Before Time

You have brought so many epicness to the OTT with this!

PRAISE PIKRASS!
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)

woods

Postby woods » Thu May 02, 2013 9:13 pm UTC

<snip>

I am standing back right now, and LOVING it.

Now I just need to convert my desk clock to Standard One Time Units.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu May 02, 2013 9:15 pm UTC

azule wrote:This is for patzer. No, he/she didn't ask for this. No, she/he probably doesn't want to incur the wrath of buffygirl.
You see what it is. Hope you like it. Ask for any changes you desire. I'll try to make them.

Don't feel compelled to use it. Though, of course, you could use it. Just made it for fun. :mrgreen:

*sits in the comfy chair*

That is beauteous, azule! *stares in awe*

Pikrass wrote:<snip>
I have a solution for you: the Newpix Convertor! Image.

Wow! Awesome! :D

FullOfIt wrote:And now I've finally reached the end of today's 30 page ketchup-blitz. Time to make my eyes close.

Now introducing:

Though I actually dislike ketchup. But hey, it's just advertising.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mathrec

Postby mathrec » Thu May 02, 2013 9:16 pm UTC

I did a back-of the envelope calculation yesterday based on an Outsider's comment "...like trying to bail out the ocean with a teaspoon."

So, if 7x109 people were all bailing (and had someplace to put the water) could we keep up with a 1 cm/yr rise in sea level? It turns out that each of us on planet earth would need to bail about 1 liter per minute or one tablespoon per second.

The sea is big.

Ebonite

Postby Ebonite » Thu May 02, 2013 9:17 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:But...but...I'm not even used to the Present yet!

That's okay. If you don't like it, we can return it. We kept the receipt.
Sir Ebonite, Lord of the Three Holes
"molpy molpy molpy molpy la la la"

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Thu May 02, 2013 9:18 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:for chem1190c, doeanethum, and latent22

Thanks for my hat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's wonderful! *HUGS*

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Thu May 02, 2013 9:18 pm UTC

woods wrote:
<snip>

I am standing back right now, and LOVING it.

Now I just need to convert my desk clock to Standard One Time Units.

Now that I would love as well, just a little java applet, or an android app.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Thu May 02, 2013 9:20 pm UTC

Buffygirl Buffygirl
cardnial of time
an arch one at that
an early poster with
many a cat

Buffygirl Buffygirl
creator of hats
some think she can
make one in just a snap

Buffygirl Buffygirl
what's with this rhyme (???)
I don't know
I just had some time.

(nice new sets of hats by the by)

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Thu May 02, 2013 9:23 pm UTC

<snip>

Awesomeness!

But why does the first post have a time of "newpix 15.30"?

Selcouth

Postby Selcouth » Thu May 02, 2013 9:26 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:hat stuff - rules, suggestions, heresies, etc:
Selcouth wrote:Hey, cool, we were sorta right about the river. Something weird in it.
BlitzGirl wrote:As for hat-related traditions, Selcouth, it helps to have a traditional avatar first - onto which a hat is later added (generally by the Great Milliner buffygirl, who I believe is quite swamped at the moment, but who might be open again for business later, Randall willing).

Haha. Actually, my standard avatar is of a hat, so.... (Here it is)

I guess I could always get a hat on top of a hat? Kind of like double black hat guy.

*follows link, looks at image, spins in circles, falls down*

Heheh. So, *ahem* will you hat me?

(I feel like this is a cousin to the knighting ceremony.)
"But I've never seen the Icarus story as a lesson about the limitations of humans... I see it as a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive."

-Randall Munroe

woods

Postby woods » Thu May 02, 2013 9:26 pm UTC

spamjam wrote:
<snip>

Awesomeness!

Weird, I am seeing:

Postby rhomboidal » newpix 1.30

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu May 02, 2013 9:26 pm UTC

Ebonite wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:But...but...I'm not even used to the Present yet!

That's okay. If you don't like it, we can return it. We kept the receipt.

Hahaha. No, I love all my Present Presents! :P

(That was in response to being told I was to go into the future, when I had only just arrived in the Now!)
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Pikrass

Postby Pikrass » Thu May 02, 2013 9:27 pm UTC

spamjam wrote:
<snip>

Awesomeness!

Hum, it shows up as 1.30 on my computer. Can you tell me your timezone and your date format?
Programmer and waiter devoted to Time.

Scripts for the One True Thread: heretic date to newpix converter; spoiler detector; multiquote; extra hide button for spoilers.
Code, links and instructions on Github.
Bundle (Firefox only)

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Thu May 02, 2013 9:28 pm UTC

woods wrote:HEAGREESONG

*Edited: I got future ninja-ed.

Yeah I did the same type of thing 16-17 newpixs ago.
I made a comment 5 (outside) minutes {0.017 newpixs [right?]} before it was posted.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”