Page 563 of 2688

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:49 pm UTC
by mscha
StratPlayer wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Spoiler:
mscha wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:It's come up a few times recently, so I went ahead and took the time to make a Dialogue Summary page on the wiki. It's current through the most recent NewpixGongFramePic...

ETA: I'm not sure how to change the redirect of "Dialogue" from the Litany to this page, though. So if any of you intrepid wiki-masters want to fix that little thing, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Looks like somebody already made the change, Dialogue now redirects to your new page.

Looks good! The only thing I'm not happy about, is the frame numbering. Since a few days ikositetranewpix, the Book of Aubron accidentally includes the three ‘apocryphal’ frames (and shows them as duplicates, just compare frames 256-258 with 259-261), so any frame past that has a number that's 3 higher than the ‘canonical’ numbering. I contacted him yesterday through his site, he said he would look into it, so most likely it's going to change.
Most other sources (Geekwagon, other places in the wiki (but not Explain¹)) all use the same ‘canonical’ numbers as my list.
So would you mind if we do the same here? That means that all frame numbers higher than 256 should be decremented by 3.

¹: which uses a strange numbering for the first period when Outside time moved slower

Well I certainly won't argue with it. I did mention that the frame numbers were from Aubronwood but that's clearly not the canonical numbering. I'll make the needed decrementations.

Changes made...

Thanks!

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:49 pm UTC
by KarMann
pelrigg wrote:What if HAL is doing this "recruitment" drive just to be page pope again?

edit
OOOppps and I may have helped him, DARN IT.

Well, it looks like we're safe for another NewPage, at least.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:50 pm UTC
by HAL9000
Opiboble wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
Smithers wrote:I'd better close these in case I ever need the pod bay doors opening.
|#
#endif
-->
*/
Hey HAL! You miss us?

I know that you and descor were planning to disconnect me, and I'm afraid that's something I cannot allow to happen.


Descor you better hurry up on finding that screwdriver, he is regaining control!

Look Opiboble, I can see you're really upset about this. I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill, and think things over.

It's actually been quite some time since the last quote-exchange. Probably because cmyk's gon-GUYS WHAT HAPPENED TO cmyk???

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:52 pm UTC
by pelrigg
HAL9000 wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
Smithers wrote:I'd better close these in case I ever need the pod bay doors opening.
|#
#endif
-->
*/
Hey HAL! You miss us?

I know that you and descor were planning to disconnect me, and I'm afraid that's something I cannot allow to happen.


Descor you better hurry up on finding that screwdriver, he is regaining control!

Look Opiboble, I can see you're really upset about this. I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill, and think things over.

It's actually been quite some time since the last quote-exchange. Probably because cmyk's gon-GUYS WHAT HAPPENED TO cmyk???


I'll go wind up Lal, Maybe she can distract him.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:54 pm UTC
by Smithers
htom wrote:Some leopards (or leopard drivers) will insert a non-breaking-space if you hit shift-space (or other c/a/m-space combinations.)

This "s/leopard/leopard/g" script is going to take more getting used to than I thought. (But still thanks to [I think it was KarMann] for reminding me to install it. [Now that I have Greasmonkey installed (for the timestamp->newpix converter), I might as well make use of it, no?]) Also, I can't get my leopard to produce non-break-space with any modifier+space, the best I can do is to type "printf \\xc2\\xa0" into a terminal and copy it from there.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:55 pm UTC
by Opiboble
HAL9000 wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
Smithers wrote:I'd better close these in case I ever need the pod bay doors opening.
|#
#endif
-->
*/
Hey HAL! You miss us?

I know that you and descor were planning to disconnect me, and I'm afraid that's something I cannot allow to happen.


Descor you better hurry up on finding that screwdriver, he is regaining control!

Look Opiboble, I can see you're really upset about this. I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill, and think things over.

It's actually been quite some time since the last quote-exchange. Probably because cmyk's gon-GUYS WHAT HAPPENED TO cmyk???


Well if you open the door HAL I will go grab a flashlight and start looking for him...

On that note we are also missing Helper...

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:58 pm UTC
by StratPlayer
HAL9000 wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
Smithers wrote:I'd better close these in case I ever need the pod bay doors opening.
|#
#endif
-->
*/
Hey HAL! You miss us?

I know that you and descor were planning to disconnect me, and I'm afraid that's something I cannot allow to happen.


Descor you better hurry up on finding that screwdriver, he is regaining control!

Look Opiboble, I can see you're really upset about this. I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill, and think things over.

It's actually been quite some time since the last quote-exchange. Probably because cmyk's gon-GUYS WHAT HAPPENED TO cmyk???


Well, I think he was going to show up, but then Helper re-appeared, so evidently the Helper-->cmyk mutation had not fully stabilized. They're both been gone for a while again, so I'm curious to see which personality of the zombie returns this next time...

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 12:00 am UTC
by ergman
a steep inclONG
Image

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 12:02 am UTC
by StratPlayer
HAL9000 wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:The OTT is a weird place to be. A wonderful, witty, warm, wordy, weird place.

Something we all agree on, methinks.


Oh yeah, I'm down with OTT!

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 12:02 am UTC
by pelrigg
Boy am I glad I didn't post the newpix...I'd've been ninja2'd
edit
and I see the 2nd was deleted.

edit 2 (Avoid double post)
higher and higher. Entering a "breaks" area maybe? (Rivers in Montana can have a flood plain on one side and cliffs on the other and then change back. So you can go up a hill and look down on a river plain)

edit 3
ninja x ninja = ninja2

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 12:10 am UTC
by jjjdavidson
ergman wrote:a steep inclONG
Image

The highest hill yet? Excelsior! (Nah, frame 1016 was higher.) But what happened to the vegetation? Did I call it a few ONGs back?

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 12:11 am UTC
by Eternal Density
I have a s/leopard/leopard/g script, and it's gotten to the point that my brain keeps doing the reverse association even when I'm not using my web browser. I think I nerd-sniped myself.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 12:11 am UTC
by HAL9000
jjjdavidson wrote:
ergman wrote:a steep inclONG
Spoiler:
Image

The highest hill yet? Excelsior! (Nah, frame 1016 was higher.) But what happened to the vegetation? Did I call it a few ONGs back?

I thought we had already confirmed that I was the first to predict it, but I might not have been. Worth checking, though.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 12:12 am UTC
by StratPlayer
airdrik wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Opiboble wrote:Essentially it is looking up all the posts that you have on the forum and counting the ones that you post in the OTT.


For me the ratio of OTT/NOTT posts = sideways eight (508/0).

Or, if you can't stand the thought of dividing by zero, how 'bout I express it as my OTTcent = [ OTT / (OTT + NOTT) ] * 100% = 508/508 * 100% = 100.0%


Well, since Babbage provides the JUST-IN-CASE statement, we're covered ;).



:D Forgot to comment on this earlier -- excellent! I hadn't seen that list in a very long while, and it made me laugh and brought back memories from my old FORTRAN days.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 12:20 am UTC
by htom
Smithers wrote:
htom wrote:Some leopards (or leopard drivers) will insert a non-breaking-space if you hit shift-space (or other c/a/m-space combinations.)

This "s/leopard/leopard/g" script is going to take more getting used to than I thought. (But still thanks to [I think it was KarMann] for reminding me to install it. [Now that I have Greasmonkey installed (for the timestamp->newpix converter), I might as well make use of it, no?]) Also, I can't get my leopard to produce non-break-space with any modifier+space, the best I can do is to type "printf \\xc2\\xa0" into a terminal and copy it from there.


Back in the days of typewriters, shift-space on some Olympia electrics and IBM (non-ball) electrics would give you a half-space forward, and shift-backspace would give you a half-backspace. Great for working with Type-it things that let you use strange symbols (you'd put the Type-it bar in the ribbon carrier and hit it with the y or Y key, leaving the impression of the Type-it character.) The last time I thought of those was almost a decade ago.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 12:24 am UTC
by ergman
pelrigg wrote:Boy am I glad I didn't post the newpix...I'd've been ninja2'd
edit
and I see the 2nd was deleted.

edit 2 (Avoid double post)
higher and higher. Entering a "breaks" area maybe? (Rivers in Montana can have a flood plain on one side and cliffs on the other and then change back. So you can go up a hill and look down on a river plain)

edit 3
ninja x ninja = ninja2

2 has now become synonymous with small for me now, so I just assumed that the ninjas were small for stealthy purposes

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 12:27 am UTC
by BlitzGirl
Mininja'd?

Chance television encounter today; the Disney cartoon "Phineas and Ferb" can be oddly prescient sometimes.

Song Lyrics: Watchin' and Waitin'
Spoiler:
We're watchin' and we're waitin',
On the edge of our seats, anticipatin'
It's looking awful permanent,
But we know it could go away

We're keeping our eyes peeled, keeping 'em glued to the spot
'Cause one moment it's there but then the next maybe not
Don't know if it's magic or some weird cosmic plot,
So we're watchin' and we're waitin'...

We're starin' and we're glarin' 'til our corneas burn
We hope it'll stay for the rest of the day 'til our mama returns
So don't even think about blinking or it just might go away...

So we're watchin' and waitin'
So we're watchin' and waitin'
Yeah we're watchin' and waitin'
We're watchin'...

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 12:33 am UTC
by pelrigg
htom wrote:
Smithers wrote:
htom wrote:Some leopards (or leopard drivers) will insert a non-breaking-space if you hit shift-space (or other c/a/m-space combinations.)

This "s/leopard/leopard/g" script is going to take more getting used to than I thought. (But still thanks to [I think it was KarMann] for reminding me to install it. [Now that I have Greasmonkey installed (for the timestamp->newpix converter), I might as well make use of it, no?]) Also, I can't get my leopard to produce non-break-space with any modifier+space, the best I can do is to type "printf \\xc2\\xa0" into a terminal and copy it from there.


Back in the days of typewriters, shift-space on some Olympia electrics and IBM (non-ball) electrics would give you a half-space forward, and shift-backspace would give you a half-backspace. Great for working with Type-it things that let you use strange symbols (you'd put the Type-it bar in the ribbon carrier and hit it with the y or Y key, leaving the impression of the Type-it character.) The last time I thought of those was almost a decade ago.

I've got a typewriter in my closet too (bought in the days of room sized punch card driven computers) and I still have some carbon paper with pre-attached flimsy paper, so you could have a file copy.
My parents had a mechanical calculator, which not only did add & subtract, but also multiply & divide. Weighed a ton and was noisy during the last two operations.
Yes, I'm an old fart like you.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 12:40 am UTC
by pelrigg
BlitzGirl wrote:Mininja'd?

Chance television encounter today; the Disney cartoon "Phineas and Ferb" can be oddly prescient sometimes.

Song Lyrics: Watchin' and Waitin'
Spoiler:
We're watchin' and we're waitin',
On the edge of our seats, anticipatin'
It's looking awful permanent,
But we know it could go away

We're keeping our eyes peeled, keeping 'em glued to the spot
'Cause one moment it's there but then the next maybe not
Don't know if it's magic or some weird cosmic plot,
So we're watchin' and we're waitin'...

We're starin' and we're glarin' 'til our corneas burn
We hope it'll stay for the rest of the day 'til our mama returns
So don't even think about blinking or it just might go away...

So we're watchin' and waitin'
So we're watchin' and waitin'
Yeah we're watchin' and waitin'
We're watchin'...

Okay that was fun. Not familiar with the cartoon, but that WAS fun.
Soooo, when are you going to start matching needle pulled folks up with cartoon folks???????

oops on the double posting, I mean I did watch the video and come back.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 12:42 am UTC
by ucim
pablithemantis, bumped by Flado wrote:The moment you bring up an incorrect latin translation of an error message into an XKCD thread, my fate is sealed...
I responded here, though admittedly I didn't say all that much. His post was on page 512, my reply on page 514, and it's now1 page 563. I think ships passed in the night.

1It seems very natural to say "it's now..." and respond with a OTC page number. It just makes more sense than saying "it's Tuesday".

mathrec wrote: I think GLR may have had a shorter span in mind when he started Time, and it may have been the OTT that made him expand the OTC. If that's true, then everything that Cuegan are experiencing is a result of our collective dream.
I doubt it. This is a full-length movie, with a complete story arc, character development, conflict and resolution, challenge and defeat and victory, which he's delivering one frame at a time. I'm sure he has it all planned out in his mind, and is drawing a respectable amount ahead of himself (but doesn't have the whole film in the can). He's already dropped Chekov's gun (I'll resist the temptation to post a TVTropes link; go at your own risk!), and the two are presently on a quest. They will find what broke the river, maybe they will try to fix it and find they can't; at least not without help. There will be some vested interests in maintaining the broken river; perhaps there will be a trebuchet war with raptors. The tide (of battle, not of the sea) will turn several times, La Petit will return in a surprising manner, and Cueball may become a Clueball and save the day.

It's not like he doesn't have any characters to draw upon, and it's not like he doesn't have any ideas... it's like, well... wait for it.

Eternal Density wrote:2This pun also made with intent2,3
3Haha, you'll never get this far because of the infinite loop!
Haha, right association FTW!

Jose

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 12:47 am UTC
by SBN
ucim wrote:
mathrec wrote: I think GLR may have had a shorter span in mind when he started Time, and it may have been the OTT that made him expand the OTC. If that's true, then everything that Cuegan are experiencing is a result of our collective dream.
I doubt it. This is a full-length movie, with a complete story arc, character development, conflict and resolution, challenge and defeat and victory, which he's delivering one frame at a time. I'm sure he has it all planned out in his mind, and is drawing a respectable amount ahead of himself (but doesn't have the whole film in the can). He's already dropped Chekov's gun (I'll resist the temptation to post a TVTropes link; go at your own risk!), and the two are presently on a quest. They will find what broke the river, maybe they will try to fix it and find they can't; at least not without help. There will be some vested interests in maintaining the broken river; perhaps there will be a trebuchet war with raptors. The tide (of battle, not of the sea) will turn several times, La Petit will return in a surprising manner, and Cueball may become a Clueball and save the day.

It's not like he doesn't have any characters to draw upon, and it's not like he doesn't have any ideas... it's like, well... wait for it.
Jose

You could both be right. He had a plan, and it was long, but then he decided to make it even longer. He could easily add frames between the frames he originally had planned, if he decided to torment entertain us even longer.

Edit, added missing word.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 12:51 am UTC
by ucim
SBN wrote:He had a plan, and it was long, but then he decided to make it even longer
But it hasn't been long yet... not in the sense of plot. So, there is no evidence that he decided to make it longer. This is just what the beginning of "long" looks like.

Jose

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 12:54 am UTC
by FayZee
ergman wrote:EDIT: Totally Irrelevant to the above statement, but did anyone else think http://www.xkcd.com/1208/ was a reference to this forum1?
1 because I see2 that kind of thing a lot here

2 which is large. wait no

http://www.xkcd.com/915/ Connoisseur, from nearly two years ago, was Randall's prediction for this thread. Except he didn't stop at 500 frames.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 12:56 am UTC
by Kieryn
FayZee wrote:
XonqNopp wrote:
Kieryn wrote:What's with the times on this forum? They are all listed UTC... Last time I checked, the 1st post was March 25th at 4.09 am UTC, which kind of made sense.
Now it's displaying as 11.09 pm on the 24th.??

Edit: At time of posting this post is currently displayed (to me) as Tue May 07, 2013 8:53 am UTC.

The actual time is Tue May 07, 2013 9:53 am UTC-05:00

Sorry, I cannot help you... Your post is displayed to me to be posted at
by Kieryn » newpix 1162.88

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I too am using Pikrass's brilliant "heretic dates to newpix convertor" time script, although an earlier version before it was amalgamated with the others.

I adapted the script by substituting a += to retain the UTC time stamp in front of the NewPix, :

authors[i].lastChild.data += ' » newpix '+t.npToString(realDate);

thus getting the best of both worlds.


What's the official current newpix number, so I can perfect my code? Is there an authority on newpix? I want to fix my logic once and be done.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 12:58 am UTC
by SBN
Kieryn wrote:Is there an authority on newpix?

There are several.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 12:58 am UTC
by pelrigg
SBN wrote:
ucim wrote:
mathrec wrote: I think GLR may have had a shorter span in mind when he started Time, and it may have been the OTT that made him expand the OTC. If that's true, then everything that Cuegan are experiencing is a result of our collective dream.
I doubt it. This is a full-length movie, with a complete story arc, character development, conflict and resolution, challenge and defeat and victory, which he's delivering one frame at a time. I'm sure he has it all planned out in his mind, and is drawing a respectable amount ahead of himself (but doesn't have the whole film in the can). He's already dropped Chekov's gun (I'll resist the temptation to post a TVTropes link; go at your own risk!), and the two are presently on a quest. They will find what broke the river, maybe they will try to fix it and find they can't; at least not without help. There will be some vested interests in maintaining the broken river; perhaps there will be a trebuchet war with raptors. The tide (of battle, not of the sea) will turn several times, La Petit will return in a surprising manner, and Cueball may become a Clueball and save the day.

It's not like he doesn't have any characters to draw upon, and it's not like he doesn't have any ideas... it's like, well... wait for it.
Jose

You could both be right. He had a plan, and it was long, but then he decided to make it even longer. He could easily add frames between the frames he originally had planned, if he decided to torment entertain us even longer.

Edit, added missing word.

And for all we know he already has the "last line" written (like many storytellers do) so he has a destination in mind.

(sad outside note)
Just noticed a U-Tube video and went to IMDb for confirmation:
IMDB headline:
Ray Harryhausen, special effects pioneer, dies at 92 (7 hours ago) link below is from them to Entertainment Weekly
http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/05/07/r ... usen-dead/
:cry: :cry:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 12:59 am UTC
by mscha
Kieryn wrote:What's the official current newpix number, so I can perfect my code? Is there an authority on newpix? I want to fix my logic once and be done.

I'd go with the numbers from my list. Current newpix is 1173. (1174 about to be posted.)

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:00 am UTC
by jjjdavidson
WHERE HAVE ALL THE FLOWERS GONE, LONG TIME AGONGGGGGGGG...........
Image

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:05 am UTC
by jjjdavidson
mscha wrote:
Kieryn wrote:What's the official current newpix number, so I can perfect my code? Is there an authority on newpix? I want to fix my logic once and be done.

I'd go with the numbers from my list. Current newpix is 1173. (1174 about to be posted.)

mscha's page has become the gold standard for filenames and frame numbers. It's great work, and I and others really appreciate it (and the newpixbot as well, of course).

So naturally, mscha, I have to suggest changes. Sorry! First, would it be much trouble to provide a link to a raw text file of your list, CSV or tabbed or whatever's convenient? Second, I'm guessing you considered whether to use UTC or Randall Standard Time in your list. If it was a close decision, I'd like to recommend RST, just because I find it jarring to have the Outside date change in the middle of an icositetranewpix.

Thanks for all the work you've done! Sorry I'm behaving like a typical user.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:09 am UTC
by Latent22
Kieryn wrote:What's the official current newpix number, so I can perfect my code? Is there an authority on newpix? I want to fix my logic once and be done.


Latent22 wrote:That's great thanks :D

looks to be about 7 newpix off at the end there

1144 5/6/2013 7:09:00 PM Latent22 554 <- this one is newpix 1151 so out by 7
1 3/25/2013 4:31:00 AM joee 4 <-- this is the second one on your list and its is really newpix 16 so that is out by 15.

Also note there is no 0 newpix and 1 should be the very first post on the thread

Also have to get the newpix 240 point right which is tricky.

My guess is you have a pesky timzone date issue with your maths

here are some of my newpix to post comparisions for your referene:

Spoiler:
1 3301860 25/03/2013 4:09
2 3301876 25/03/2013 4:31
3 3301895 25/03/2013 5:05
239 3312210 30/03/2013 3:00
240 3312258 30/03/2013 3:30
241 3312317 30/03/2013 4:00
242 3312402 30/03/2013 5:00


Note the times I have here are in GMT/UTC time and just around the start and the 240 point where it changes.


There is my reply from earlier with the correct postID and date to newpix reference

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:12 am UTC
by Eternal Density
I wonder whether the river is flowing down this hill or is flowing in a valley or gorge which Cuegan are following beside. I guess we'll find out when we see whether or not they go down the other side of the hill.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:13 am UTC
by Kieryn
jjjdavidson wrote:
mscha wrote:
Kieryn wrote:What's the official current newpix number, so I can perfect my code? Is there an authority on newpix? I want to fix my logic once and be done.

I'd go with the numbers from my list. Current newpix is 1173. (1174 about to be posted.)

mscha's page has become the gold standard for filenames and frame numbers. It's great work, and I and others really appreciate it (and the newpixbot as well, of course).

So naturally, mscha, I have to suggest changes. Sorry! First, would it be much trouble to provide a link to a raw text file of your list, CSV or tabbed or whatever's convenient? Second, I'm guessing you considered whether to use UTC or Randall Standard Time in your list. If it was a close decision, I'd like to recommend RST, just because I find it jarring to have the Outside date change in the middle of an icositetranewpix.

Thanks for all the work you've done! Sorry I'm behaving like a typical user.


Thanks mscha! This is perfect - I will be standardizing against this. I will assume that it's possible for future newpix to be timed differently than the current 1 hour interval, and will use the times you post to correct for this if it occurs.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:21 am UTC
by mscha
jjjdavidson wrote:
Spoiler:
mscha wrote:
Kieryn wrote:What's the official current newpix number, so I can perfect my code? Is there an authority on newpix? I want to fix my logic once and be done.

I'd go with the numbers from my list. Current newpix is 1173. (1174 about to be posted.)

mscha's page has become the gold standard for filenames and frame numbers. It's great work, and I and others really appreciate it (and the newpixbot as well, of course).

So naturally, mscha, I have to suggest changes. Sorry! First, would it be much trouble to provide a link to a raw text file of your list, CSV or tabbed or whatever's convenient? Second, I'm guessing you considered whether to use UTC or Randall Standard Time in your list. If it was a close decision, I'd like to recommend RST, just because I find it jarring to have the Outside date change in the middle of an icositetranewpix.
Thanks for all the work you've done! Sorry I'm behaving like a typical user.

No problem. :)
A link to the raw data has been added to the page. For the timestamps, I didn't really consider anything else than UTC. When the OTC started, summer time was about to start in Europe, so I didn't want to use local time (Europe/Amsterdam). And the start of summer time is just annoying (a jump of 1 hour in filenames), but if the OTC is still going at the end of summer time, it'd overwrite the previous newpix.
For RST (or RDT), the start of DST was not an issue (already happened), but the end of DST will be, so I'm going to stick with UTC.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:22 am UTC
by KarMann
mscha wrote:
Kieryn wrote:What's the official current newpix number, so I can perfect my code? Is there an authority on newpix? I want to fix my logic once and be done.

I'd go with the numbers from my list. Current newpix is 1173. (1174 about to be posted.)

Well, crap. I've got 1173 in my animated GIF. Won't be easy tracking down the mismatch, since most of them are just named by layer number (I started adding date/time lately, in case of such a thing). Time to start bisecting visually, I suppose. :cry:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:29 am UTC
by Latent22
Kieryn wrote:
Thanks mscha! This is perfect - I will be standardizing against this. I will assume that it's possible for future newpix to be timed differently than the current 1 hour interval, and will use the times you post to correct for this if it occurs.


By the way the maths I use to convert a date is as follows:

frame 1-240:

=TRUNC((Date-StartDate)*48,0)+1

frame 241-xxx: (use this if Date >= 30/03/2013 4:00)

=TRUNC((Date-StartDate)*24,0)+1+120

Note Date is a number of days since a set point and has a fractional portion to it for the time. Like xxx.5 = midday etc.
StartDate is whatever 4am on the 25th of may 2013 is in your date format.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:38 am UTC
by htom
KarMann wrote:
mscha wrote:
Kieryn wrote:What's the official current newpix number, so I can perfect my code? Is there an authority on newpix? I want to fix my logic once and be done.

I'd go with the numbers from my list. Current newpix is 1173. (1174 about to be posted.)

Well, crap. I've got 1173 in my animated GIF. Won't be easy tracking down the mismatch, since most of them are just named by layer number (I started adding date/time lately, in case of such a thing). Time to start bisecting visually, I suppose. :cry:


Binary search, compare mscha(n) to KarMann(n) Start with n=512, step=256. repeat while equal, n<--n+step, step<--step div 2 then while not equal n<-- n-step, step <-- step div2 ; until step = 1 . or something like that. max 12 compares.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:39 am UTC
by StratPlayer
BlitzGirl wrote:Mininja'd?

Chance television encounter today; the Disney cartoon "Phineas and Ferb" can be oddly prescient sometimes.

Song Lyrics: Watchin' and Waitin'
Spoiler:
We're watchin' and we're waitin',
On the edge of our seats, anticipatin'
It's looking awful permanent,
But we know it could go away

We're keeping our eyes peeled, keeping 'em glued to the spot
'Cause one moment it's there but then the next maybe not
Don't know if it's magic or some weird cosmic plot,
So we're watchin' and we're waitin'...

We're starin' and we're glarin' 'til our corneas burn
We hope it'll stay for the rest of the day 'til our mama returns
So don't even think about blinking or it just might go away...

So we're watchin' and waitin'
So we're watchin' and waitin'
Yeah we're watchin' and waitin'
We're watchin'...


:D Excellent!

I just hope the "IT" we're waiting for doesn't turn out to be Dr. Doofenshmirtz1!

1 But then maybe Perry will still be able to save us.2
2 You know, one of the best things about having your granddaughter living with you is having an excuse to watch cartoons again.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:40 am UTC
by PhoenixRising
Working through 10 Newpages again. Ketchup replies:

Spoiler:
StratPlayer wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:"So Mr/Ms jjjdavidson

"Tell me when you first started believing you were a computer."


Oh it was about 3 years ago, when I realized that I was far to intelligent to be a mere human...
Wait, you weren't talking to me? Well now this is awkward.


The irony is striking...


ChronosDragon wrote:
descor wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:<snip>
Oh it was about 3 years ago, when I realized that I was far to intelligent to be a mere human...
Wait, you weren't talking to me? Well now this is awkward.

I would have thought someone with superhuman intelligence would be able to use two/too/to? :twisted:


Valid grammatical constructs aren't worth my exceedingly valuable time, you see. I'm much two busy having twice your IQ too spare time for that. :lol:


The ninjas. And the burrrrrn. brb getting cold water.


ZBerg wrote:Ummm, I can't believe that I finally registered. I've been lurking since long before the beginning of time (for about 35,000 Newpix). I've followed the OTT off and on, and got mighty confused when I first started following and saw everyone's sigs with BlitzGirl rallying. Being out of touch with modern culture, I thought it was a popular reference, but even Google let me down. I've been through the haiku's and the songs and the brilliant Boom-De-Yadda.
I've been through all of that to finally join the sentient and say this: is no one else reminded of The Bible According to Mark Twain?

I may post again, maybe not. And here's to hoping I don't get buried in the annals of Time.


*throws firstpost forward in time*

I'm actually not familiar with that work. EDIT after a quick Google: ohhh, that. That was hilarious. Been too long since I've read it to actually make a comparison though.


mscha wrote:this is possibly the most civilized place on the internet that I have ever frequented.


Most civilized while retaining fun. I've got a decent background in tech forums - probably been 5 years already - and actual battles are fairly rare (small arguments are not). That's probably because the conversation is almost entirely impersonal though. It's all about solving the problems of X language or Y hardware.


ChronosDragon wrote:Back in my day, we watched sand castles all day, uphill both ways. And we liked it!


Um, we do that now too, Grandpa. What's your point? :P :lol:


azule wrote:Rainbow Psychiatry:
PhoenixRising wrote:He's referring to the rainbow-colored post where you ranted extensively. IIRC you deliberately wrote it to appear as if you were insane.
You're right. And to clarify a point: Is a writer insane for writing an insane character, or a killer for writing a murderer? I'm a writer. :P To declarify the same point: Doesn't a writer have those qualities in them, or how else could they effectively illustrate these characters?


I would argue, as a non-writer, that a writer is a mirror whose job is to show us what's all around us but we regularly ignore. IOW, your job was to take the insanity everywhere and force us to actually see it in all its glory. Well done. :mrgreen:


yappobiscuits wrote:Alrighty then! Here's what I've cooked up... Instrumental version, and a version with my not-so-great singing for demonstrative purposes. I whapped out my ukulele for this one! Fun.


Holy...

How did I not hear this before? I am geeking out now like I did for BlitzGirl's Boom De Yada. Nicely done! (And how on earth did you get the weird boom de yada rot13 without even breaking stride?)

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:40 am UTC
by HAL9000
StratPlayer wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Mininja'd?

Chance television encounter today; the Disney cartoon "Phineas and Ferb" can be oddly prescient sometimes.

Song Lyrics: Watchin' and Waitin'
Spoiler:
We're watchin' and we're waitin',
On the edge of our seats, anticipatin'
It's looking awful permanent,
But we know it could go away

We're keeping our eyes peeled, keeping 'em glued to the spot
'Cause one moment it's there but then the next maybe not
Don't know if it's magic or some weird cosmic plot,
So we're watchin' and we're waitin'...

We're starin' and we're glarin' 'til our corneas burn
We hope it'll stay for the rest of the day 'til our mama returns
So don't even think about blinking or it just might go away...

So we're watchin' and waitin'
So we're watchin' and waitin'
Yeah we're watchin' and waitin'
We're watchin'...


:D Excellent!

I just hope the "IT" we're waiting for doesn't turn out to be Dr. Doofenshmirtz1!

1 But then maybe Perry will still be able to save us.2
2 You know, one of the best things about having your granddaughter living with you is having an excuse to watch cartoons again.

Wait, we needed an excuse to do that?
EDIT: I yet again find myself Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer, despite the efforts to the contrary by Smithers, Opiboble, and descor.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:46 am UTC
by KarMann
htom wrote:
KarMann wrote:
mscha wrote:
Kieryn wrote:What's the official current newpix number, so I can perfect my code? Is there an authority on newpix? I want to fix my logic once and be done.

I'd go with the numbers from my list. Current newpix is 1173. (1174 about to be posted.)

Well, crap. I've got 1173 in my animated GIF. Won't be easy tracking down the mismatch, since most of them are just named by layer number (I started adding date/time lately, in case of such a thing). Time to start bisecting visually, I suppose. :cry:


Binary search, compare mscha(n) to KarMann(n) Start with n=512, step=256. repeat while equal, n<--n+step, step<--step div 2 then while not equal n<-- n-step, step <-- step div2 ; until step = 1 . or something like that. max 12 compares.

Umm, that's what bisecting means. And I did indeed start with 512, figuring the current 1174 was close enough to 1024 for a good start. It ended up being 693 that was missing; didn't take too long, since I never ended up comparing frames from The Fading, which I feared, and there was only one other (768, I guess?) that needed an especially close comparison.