Page 584 of 2688

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:27 am UTC
by Montov
Just like everybody else, she is looking at her behind.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:52 am UTC
by Kieryn
Popular posts now shown on theindividual user pages.

Couple of quick notes:

1) The quote linking is done using a fuzzy logic match between the text of the quote and the original post text. It's not perfect, so a few quote links are incorrect.

2) The number of times quoted (and all quote links) only includes direct 1-level quotes.

Just as an example this post would be said to quote Fred, but not DrSeus.

Fred wrote:
DrSeuss wrote:Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

Right.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:02 pm UTC
by GerardE
Let us hope that the rope will be strong enough if they need to start climbing in a few newpics.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:08 pm UTC
by KarMann
MONSOONGg!!
Image

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:09 pm UTC
by Sciscitor
Kieryn wrote:1) The quote linking is done using a fuzzy logic match between the text of the quote and the original post text. It's not perfect, so a few quote links are incorrect.

Ah, was just about to ask about this. I was thinking about this myself, using Levenshtein distances. What kind of fuzzy do you use?
Kieryn wrote:
Fred wrote:
DrSeuss wrote:Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

Right.

Arrgh! You just messed up the quote finding code! (Not really, it ignores unknown quotees anyway.)

Also on the topic of the new ONG: Dune(s)!

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:09 pm UTC
by mscha
Kieryn wrote:Popular posts now shown on the individual user pages.
Spoiler:
Couple of quick notes:

1) The quote linking is done using a fuzzy logic match between the text of the quote and the original post text. It's not perfect, so a few quote links are incorrect.

2) The number of times quoted (and all quote links) only includes direct 1-level quotes.

Just as an example this post would be said to quote Fred, but not DrSeus.

Fred wrote:
DrSeuss wrote:Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

Right.

Cool!
A few quick comments:
Quite a number of false positives in the quote matching on this post.
The noun list on my user page looks a bit suspicious:
Spoiler:
M:2013-03-25T00:56:32-04 (811)
G (270)
.png (145)

newpix (122)
sea (121)
time (95)
frames (82)
newpixbot (81)
Edit (80)
level (72)

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:11 pm UTC
by KarMann
Sciscitor wrote:Also on the topic of the new ONG: Dune(s)!

Yeah, I was going to say, if she's commenting on windiness, those have pretty much gotta be dunes, not some other hill-like formation.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:26 pm UTC
by SBN
KarMann wrote:
Sciscitor wrote:Also on the topic of the new ONG: Dune(s)!

Yeah, I was going to say, if she's commenting on windiness, those have pretty much gotta be dunes, not some other hill-like formation.

Why does it windiness mean it has to be dunes?
Of course, she's comparing it to the complete windlessness of the beach, where the flags never even moved, and not a single pixel was blown away.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:32 pm UTC
by k.bookbinder
KarMann wrote:
Sciscitor wrote:Also on the topic of the new ONG: Dune(s)!

Yeah, I was going to say, if she's commenting on windiness, those have pretty much gotta be dunes, not some other hill-like formation.


If they be dunes, should not they have come sooner? Perhaps near the coast? Otherwise they'd likely be walking in a desert and I believe we've concluded they're not, as they're still following the river (um...is it underground or just at a lower elevation?). They have been on a slow ascent since turning from the sea. No, I'm thinking it's more like the foothills one might find in Scotland or Appalachia (like the Peidmont region). You might find yourself strolling on a bright clear day, then suddenly the wind whips up and it, indeed, because much windier the higher one ascends. Note, she says it must "get windier" and not that it "is windier."

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:34 pm UTC
by Dracomax
Ketchup with basil and a hint of Thyme
Spoiler:
pelrigg wrote:I remember seeing one in Minnesota as a lad, partial, I think; and a full one in Bozeman, Montana. I used all (the one roll) of my film leading up to it. And then stood there like a fool with a short telephoto hanging around my neck during the main event. wow And for all those who use "awesome" to describe a hamburger, a total solar is the one of the best definitions of "awesome" ever.....

edit spell describe correctly :oops:

I dunno. Technically, I'd think the hamburger would be awesome, because there's some awe there. A Solar Eclipse, Like The OTC would be aweful, because it fills you with awe.
Spoiler:
pelrigg wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:
pelrigg wrote:
slinches wrote:<snip> "Will the Wait be worth it"1

1and I bet I get beat on for that last one*sigh*


Fear not for with faith there is always doubt. I shan't insist on flogging you know for giving in to the prospect that this might all be for naught. Remain steadfast and Wait for it1.

Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
1It damn well better be worth it.

Ah, good sir, be assured that I was merely repeating some of the "Questions" I have heard in passing?, since that was a good time to bring up the most immediate quandary which had most recently perplexed us.

Edit
does this mean I qualify for a hat?
? no Sir Inquisitor, I do not remember any names. No, not the comfy chair and the chocolate.......

Obviously k.bookbinder wasn't speaking for the Inquisition because he didn't specify which unusual object he would flog you with. (The coreect answer was Fried Chicken. Fried chicken. We also would have accepted a wet noodle, or Ted Nugent.)

However, the Inquisition declines to Punish those who express doubt. Honest doubt is acceptable, so long as it isn't bandied about to much. For who among us has not doubted? IF you had flat out said"it's not worth waiting for," on the other hand, we would have had to get involved.
Spoiler:
k.bookbinder wrote:
KarMann wrote:
descor wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:
pelrigg wrote:<snip>
Edit
does this mean I qualify for a hat?
? no Sir Inquisitor, I do not remember any names. No, not the comfy chair and the chocolate.......

Wait...the Inquisitor has chocolate!? I was not told. :(

Enforced happiness has been the standard punishment for heresy since the Inquistion was expected created. Oh yes, we are a civilised religion.

Like The Force, we have a Dark Side and a Light Side. Ours just happen to be dark chocolate and milk chocolate, respectively.


Even Dark Chocolate? Oh dear, I don't think I woke up this morning quite prepared for facing such a devotional crisis today. Oh, to be a heretic brought forth before the Inquisitor, sat in a comfy chair and fed Dark Chocolate. What to do?

That which is the only thing to do, I suppose. I shall Wait for it.

Wait for it...
Wait for it.
Wait for it.
Wait for it.
Wait for it.

Fed? Who said anything about feeding you Chocolate? Our chocolate is only fed to beleivers on the straight path. Heretics get dunked in it and then rolled in whatever bits of candy seem most amusing at the time.
Spoiler:
HAL9000 wrote:
Ebonite wrote:Today I realized that, at some point in the past week or so, I stopped going out and looking at the original link that I usually followed to view newpix. Instead, I just automatically come to this thread and start catching up from where I left off. All of the newpix are posted here (often multiple times), so there's no need to go out to the web to look for them anywhere else. If I always just catch up, I'll pick up any newpix I may have missed chronologically.

Now, if I can just get you guys to start talking about all of the other things of interest to me (TV shows I watch, daily news reports, etc.) I may find that I never need to leave this forum at all. :D

Wait, people leave this forum?


Unfortunatly, I had to yesterday. Computer failed me. :(
Spoiler:
SBN wrote:
jdj42 wrote:So, it has come to this


Indeed it has:
This.PNG

*Slow clap*
Spoiler:
KarMann wrote:
KarMann wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:I guess this is going to be a loooooong hill. (That wasn't an ONG by the way).
That was pretty quick, Copernicium112. But there's not enough precision in the newpix stamp to see how fast since it only goes down to centinewpix.

[heresy]It was 21 seconds. If you're not using the special scripts, you can go to the "Board Preferences" and set the date format to custom, then use a format with 's' in it. I'm partial to "D M jS, Y G:i:s U" myself, but I'm funny like that.[/heresy]


macraw83 wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
Pikrass wrote:
KarMann wrote:I removed the UTC claim, since it's not true anyway; I wish the time display options would clarify that. While I was at it, I added the Unix time (seconds since epoch), 'cuz that's how I roll.

I want post times expressed in newpixes from the beginning of Time. I'm gonna write a GreaseMonkey script to do so.

Sweet, drop a link to it once you are done :D

Sweet, I've caught up to the start of the Greasemonkey scripts that I've been using :)
Thanks, Pikrass!

Weird that you brought this up at almost exactly the same time as I revisited it; only [heresy]36 seconds[/heresy] later. Furthermore, I almost added another "that's how I roll" at the end of my recent post. Maybe I'm in a bit of a rut. :P

Okay. You are quite literally asking for it. You even used heresy tags. Therefore, Your punishment is not to be punished. We don't want any of you freaks in the comfy chair at the moment.

And now, to the future!

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:55 pm UTC
by mscha
SBN wrote:
KarMann wrote:
Sciscitor wrote:Also on the topic of the new ONG: Dune(s)!

Yeah, I was going to say, if she's commenting on windiness, those have pretty much gotta be dunes, not some other hill-like formation.

Why does it windiness mean it has to be dunes?
Of course, she's comparing it to the complete windlessness of the beach, where the flags never even moved, and not a single pixel was blown away.

They're probably plastic flags, that don't pay much attention to the wind.
Spoiler:
Image

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:05 pm UTC
by XonqNopp
mscha wrote:
Kieryn wrote:Popular posts now shown on the individual user pages.
Spoiler:
Couple of quick notes:

1) The quote linking is done using a fuzzy logic match between the text of the quote and the original post text. It's not perfect, so a few quote links are incorrect.

2) The number of times quoted (and all quote links) only includes direct 1-level quotes.

Just as an example this post would be said to quote Fred, but not DrSeus.

Fred wrote:
DrSeuss wrote:Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

Right.

Cool!
A few quick comments:
Quite a number of false positives in the quote matching on this post.
The noun list on my user page looks a bit suspicious:
Spoiler:
M:2013-03-25T00:56:32-04 (811)
G (270)
.png (145)

newpix (122)
sea (121)
time (95)
frames (82)
newpixbot (81)
Edit (80)
level (72)

Yeah I also have used some weird adjectives:
other (7)
good (5)
sure (3)
small (3)
comic (3)
second (2)
] (2)
high (2)
next (2)
more (2)

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:10 pm UTC
by mscha
PELTMONGERS...
Image

-- posted by newpixbot

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:17 pm UTC
by Selcouth
mscha wrote:PELTMONGERS...
Image

-- posted by newpixbot


....what's a peltmonger

Also, can someone make a small gif of the section where they're climbing hills? I want to see their net elevation when next they reach flat land.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:26 pm UTC
by jovialbard
I'm going to agree with the dunes notion. Also, they aren't following the river at the moment. They decided that instead of going through the (canyon?) they would leave the river for a bit and go through the desert dunes. Also, rivers can flow through deserts and a desert would make sense here if we are talking about the small river drying up and not reaching the sea, right?

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:27 pm UTC
by bighaben
I think it's quite clear they're in a desert now.

I'm also taking bets on how many newpix it is until Cueball slips and falls. 3 newpix is my guess.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:27 pm UTC
by mscha
Selcouth wrote:....what's a peltmonger

A random word containing “ong” in /usr/share/dict/american-english-huge. ;)

¹: FTFY

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:31 pm UTC
by Kieryn
Sciscitor wrote:
Kieryn wrote:1) The quote linking is done using a fuzzy logic match between the text of the quote and the original post text. It's not perfect, so a few quote links are incorrect.

Ah, was just about to ask about this. I was thinking about this myself, using Levenshtein distances. What kind of fuzzy do you use?
Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:
Fred wrote:
DrSeuss wrote:Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

Right.

Arrgh! You just messed up the quote finding code! (Not really, it ignores unknown quotees anyway.)


Fuzziness is based on Levenshtein, but with lowered-case words being atomic, rather than characters. Regarding unknown quotees, I'm thinking of including those (minus the thread link of course). There are a lot of "cueball wrote:" and "megan wrote:" which would be nice to include. I could even take their dialog and incorporate it as faux-posts in the OTT. What are the theological opinions on this?

Sciscitor wrote:Also on the topic of the new ONG: Dune(s)!


Yes, I think I was the first to say desert, but that's because they were obviously dunes and that's what I was thinking.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:37 pm UTC
by Kieryn
mscha wrote:
Kieryn wrote:Popular posts now shown on the individual user pages.
Spoiler:
Couple of quick notes:

1) The quote linking is done using a fuzzy logic match between the text of the quote and the original post text. It's not perfect, so a few quote links are incorrect.

2) The number of times quoted (and all quote links) only includes direct 1-level quotes.

Just as an example this post would be said to quote Fred, but not DrSeus.

Fred wrote:
DrSeuss wrote:Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

Right.

Cool!
A few quick comments:
Quite a number of false positives in the quote matching on this post.
The noun list on my user page looks a bit suspicious:
Spoiler:
M:2013-03-25T00:56:32-04 (811)
G (270)
.png (145)

newpix (122)
sea (121)
time (95)
frames (82)
newpixbot (81)
Edit (80)
level (72)


Thanks I'll take a look at the quote matching issue there. Looks like I'm including some content in the post I might want to exclude.

RE: The nouns, adjective etc etc... Yeah, yeah I know. The more I look at it, the more I think the raw output of the NLP parser is really pretty low quality. I think it might need some significant post-processing to be of real value.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:38 pm UTC
by SBN
mscha wrote:
Selcouth wrote:....what's a peltmonger

A random word containing “ong” in /usr/share/dict/american-english-huge.

¹: FTFY

A seller of furs, is my guess.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:43 pm UTC
by FullOfIt
KarMann wrote:MONSOONGg!!
Image


My take is that she's commenting on the smoothness of the surface, that there must be an abundance of surface-smoothing wind up there. You know, the kind that smooths surfaces. (I started writing this quite serious-like, but it quickly degenerated into my usual nonsense...)

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:49 pm UTC
by dthurston
k.bookbinder wrote:If they be dunes, should not they have come sooner? Perhaps near the coast? Otherwise they'd[ likely be walking in a desert and I believe we've concluded they're not, as they're still following the river (um...is it underground or just at a lower elevation?).

You must have missed newpix 1218 to 1219, where they decided to keep on going straight while the river turned.

Also, newpix 1178 suggests strongly that these are hills, not anything else.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:01 pm UTC
by Rule110
Kam FONG as Chin Ho:

Image

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:02 pm UTC
by Roia
Oh man. Just caught up after being away for three days of outsider time. Thank Randall for this thread and for Aubronwood and the wiki.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:06 pm UTC
by kryton
Accidental Time Tourist Journal
Coordinates: top of page 459 of 584

A few notes as I approached the singularity party...

Very cool "White Timeframe" lyrics BlitzGirl.

The food at the party was excellent, thank you to/for: Cake from Kethryes, black and white cookies from Whizbang with a Seinfeld tie-in from StratPlayer, sausages from descor (finally some non-dessert whew), champagne, sausages and beer from swein, asti spumante bacon from udscbt, Silent_Death brought potato .. er potatoe, er salad (can never spell that right), DrSamCarter for ' lamingtons (cubes of sponge cake covered in chocolate icing/sauce and coconut)'

It seems nobody brought any ice to the party, so my cooler of leftovers is going to be in trouble soon, the ice I packed before starting out is half melted and I don't want the cakes to get soggy before I can bring it up to share in the present. By the time I get there it should be dinner time and I have all these goodies left from the past-thingy-that-gets-pulled-by-a-needle

a few posts to comment on:

Kieryn asserted the connoisseur theme from xkcd.com/915 and I had the strangest feeling of de-ja-vois.

I passed my own first signpost, YEA!

ChronosDragon announced the invention of the Newpix-O-Meter, I was wondering when I would catch up to it, it has been useful refreshing his posts and getting an update countdown.

Purplepants77 brought a nice couch for BlitzGirl to sit on at the end of the party. I hope no one minds, I'm going to coma a bit on it before resuming my travels, there is no one around to ask.

sigcouragement:
Valarya wrote:Go Go Space Pope Kryton and Vytron and all those true Blitzers!


Thank You.

Journeying on, wish me luck.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:15 pm UTC
by ucim
Kieryn wrote:Fuzziness is based on Levenshtein, but with lowered-case words being atomic, rather than characters. Regarding unknown quotees, I'm thinking of including those (minus the thread link of course). There are a lot of "cueball wrote:" and "megan wrote:" which would be nice to include. I could even take their dialog and incorporate it as faux-posts in the OTT. What are the theological opinions on this?
Yes, they would be nice, and it would be cool if instead of being displayed as faux-posts, they were displayed as links to the OTC, either directly or perhaps via the wiki dialog link (though that would make the two pages interdependent, which would be bad). It would be heretical to display them as if they were actual xkcd members however, because there may well be (or may soon be!) xkcd forum members with those names. Their heresy should not be enshrined. :)

As you noted, sometimes the quote tag is used for non-quoting (or for quoting non-forum-members (such as the consecration of BlitzGirl the Next), or quoting anonymously). It's rare enough to not really be a concern. However, nested quoting probably deserves some attention. The question of whether an inner quote is relevant or not is not simple; it can be carried along as baggage, or it can be the ultimate reason the outer quote is quotable in the first place. That depends on the meaning of the actual content, which I think is not discernable by counting verbs.

BTW, I noticed that many of the "most popular" verbs are versions of "to be". Maybe they should be lumped together? (Maybe all verb forms should be conflated together under the infinitive?)

Jose

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:25 pm UTC
by Wildhound
[quote=[quote][/quote]] wrote:Quote


I'm just seeing if I can be a pain in the backside.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:29 pm UTC
by Eutychus
I'm surprised that nobody has argued (unless I've missed it) that the windlessness of the flags on the sandcastle proves the whole thing was shot on a sound stage. Or something.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:34 pm UTC
by mscha
Eutychus wrote:I'm surprised that nobody has argued (unless I've missed it) that the windlessness of the flags on the sandcastle proves the whole thing was shot on a sound stage. Or something.

Or on the moon.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:35 pm UTC
by Valarya
mscha wrote:
SBN wrote:
KarMann wrote:
Sciscitor wrote:Also on the topic of the new ONG: Dune(s)!

Yeah, I was going to say, if she's commenting on windiness, those have pretty much gotta be dunes, not some other hill-like formation.

Why does it windiness mean it has to be dunes?
Of course, she's comparing it to the complete windlessness of the beach, where the flags never even moved, and not a single pixel was blown away.

They're probably plastic flags, that don't pay much attention to the wind.
Spoiler:
Image


I'm not in on the whole sand dune thing. It makes perfect sense that they traveled from a beach to a river, and followed the river far inland. But how on earth could they be at a desert so soon? They haven't even stopped to sleep or eat since they were at the river. :P

Besides. Megan mentioned the hills. Maybe they're just getting close to the bigger-than-theirs hills, now.

I'm sticking to it. Also, I replied on this quote b/c I liked mscha's plastic sandcastle flag.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:37 pm UTC
by Sciscitor
Wildhound wrote:
[quote="[quote][/quote] wrote:"]Quote


I'm just seeing if I can be a pain in the backside.

Nice try but you would be surprised on how this construct would so completely not interfere with my algorithm at all. :P

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:37 pm UTC
by StratPlayer
A few pages to siracha1 on:

Smithers wrote:
Spoiler:
StratPlayer wrote:EDIT 2: Removed attached solution because I don't know how to spoiler an attachment...

After uploading an attachment, a "Place inline" button should appear. If you click it, it adds an [ attachment ] block to the post which you can move to where you want the attachment to appear.
Now you can place that inside a spoiler block.


Thanks! I appreciate that!

HAL9000 wrote:
Spoiler:
jetpac wrote:And... I'm back in the present! Woohoo! Oh wow, I like what you've done with the place. It's kind of unfortunate that my workday will be over in another 10 minutes or so, and then my brother's getting married this weekend. I'm gonna fall behind again in no time. Oh welll...

(Maybe I shouldn't refer to my brother getting married as "unfortunate")

Odd, one of my friend's brothers has their wedding this weekend. Had a little StratPlayer moment there...


*nods head knowingly*

See? It's ALL related...

Smithers wrote:I therefore propose a system of using the subject field to identify the subject(s) of each post, in the format "(Re: )1190: Tag(, Tag)...". The following are possible tags to use:
Spoiler:
  • OTC: Discussion of what has happened and is currently happening in the Comic, including ONG posts.
  • Predictions: What may happen in the Comic's future, possible endings etc..
  • Meta: Discussion about the thread itself.
  • Religion: Popes, Cardinals, the Temporal Illuminati, etc..
  • Othercomics: The Great Lord Randall's works other than time.
  • Blitz: Posts from people catching up from the beginning.
  • Tools: Kieryn's thread analysis (http://xkcd-time.kieryn.com), Pikrass's scripts (https://github.com/Pikrass/timescripts), etc..


I'm always big on organization, but trying to rein the chaos in the OTT might be both improssible and honestly, I don't know if it would improve it. The erratic nature is part of its charm, I think...

jjjdavidson wrote:
Spoiler:
moody7277 wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:
bighaben wrote:
mscha wrote:
bighaben wrote:Does anyone else think that these last two images are artificially flat. Like their walking on a parking lot, a road, or something else.

Flood plain (as others have mentioned) seems more logical, considering the emptiness of their universe.

I'd like to agree but nothing has been this flat ever in the comic. And flood plains are rarely that flat.

I know I'm late, since they've started uphill again, but I just have to add this. I live in hilly country, and any time there's that much flat land there can be only one thing at the end of it.
Wait for it... Scroll for it....
flatland.png
I thought they were getting their materials from an IKEA?

Not if they lived around here, they wouldn't be. I've never even seen an IKEA.


Agreed. Same here. But Wal-Mart is freakin' everywhere! Although it does have some interesting People Who Shop There.


And now back current-ish...


1 My preferred condiment of choice. +1 for the rooster!

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:38 pm UTC
by Ebonite
FullOfIt wrote:
KarMann wrote:MONSOONGg!!
Image


My take is that she's commenting on the smoothness of the surface, that there must be an abundance of surface-smoothing wind up there. You know, the kind that smooths surfaces. (I started writing this quite serious-like, but it quickly degenerated into my usual nonsense...)

Maybe she's saying "windier" with a long i sound1 -- as in "this long and winding road is becoming an even longer and windier road".

No, I don't actually believe that. I just thought this discussion could use a little chaos. :D

1 for the first i, not the second i. The second i would be just plain weird.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:39 pm UTC
by Dracomax
This makes me think of that old time song...
Spoiler:
The dunes are alive, with the sound of Newpix
With Songs they have sung, for a Thousand Timeframes,
Cueballs heart is alive, with the sound of Newpix,

The dunes fill his heart with the sound of newpix,
His heart wants to sing
Every OTT song it hears

Cueballs heart wants to beat
Like the wings of the Cancerbirds
That rise from the See to the Things that fill the River

Cueball's heart wants to sigh
Like a GONG that flies
From a Sandcastle on a breeze

To laugh like a Small River
When it trips and Breaks
Over stones on its way
To sing through the DarkPix
Like a lark
Who is learning to post in the OTT

He goes to the Dunes
When he doesn't understand
He knows he will hear
What He's heard before
His mind will be blessed,
With the sound of Newpix
And I'll understand once more.


If anyone can do better, please...I don't think I'm very good at this

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:46 pm UTC
by mscha
Valarya wrote:I'm not in on the whole sand dune thing. It makes perfect sense that they traveled from a beach to a river, and followed the river far inland. But how on earth could they be at a desert so soon? They haven't even stopped to sleep or eat since they were at the river. :P

Spoiler:
Image

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:51 pm UTC
by airdrik
Ebonite wrote:
Spoiler:
FullOfIt wrote:
KarMann wrote:MONSOONGg!!
Image


My take is that she's commenting on the smoothness of the surface, that there must be an abundance of surface-smoothing wind up there. You know, the kind that smooths surfaces. (I started writing this quite serious-like, but it quickly degenerated into my usual nonsense...)

Maybe she's saying "windier" with a long i sound1 -- as in "this long and winding road is becoming an even longer and windier road".

No, I don't actually believe that. I just thought this discussion could use a little chaos. :D

1 for the first i, not the second i. The second i would be just plain weird.

a little chaos as differing from the big chaos that already exists?

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:53 pm UTC
by Dracomax
airdrik wrote:
Ebonite wrote:
Spoiler:
FullOfIt wrote:
KarMann wrote:MONSOONGg!!
Image


My take is that she's commenting on the smoothness of the surface, that there must be an abundance of surface-smoothing wind up there. You know, the kind that smooths surfaces. (I started writing this quite serious-like, but it quickly degenerated into my usual nonsense...)

Maybe she's saying "windier" with a long i sound1 -- as in "this long and winding road is becoming an even longer and windier road".

No, I don't actually believe that. I just thought this discussion could use a little chaos. :D

1 for the first i, not the second i. The second i would be just plain weird.

a little chaos as differing from the big chaos that already exists?

At some point, mathematically, all this chaos has to start looking like order. Isn't that the entire basis of Chaos theory?

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:54 pm UTC
by k.bookbinder
mscha wrote:
Valarya wrote:I'm not in on the whole sand dune thing. It makes perfect sense that they traveled from a beach to a river, and followed the river far inland. But how on earth could they be at a desert so soon? They haven't even stopped to sleep or eat since they were at the river. :P

Spoiler:
Image


Excellent rebuttal mscha. And we must always remember, the Creator of Time created Time and is not bound by rules that may exist outside of Time. If He wants a river through the dunes (if that what they be) then a river shall flow through the dunes of Time.

...dunes of Time. Huh. They are crossing the Sands of Time...

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:56 pm UTC
by StratPlayer
Dracomax wrote:This makes me think of that old time song...
Spoiler:
The dunes are alive, with the sound of Newpix
With Songs they have sung, for a Thousand Timeframes,
Cueballs heart is alive, with the sound of Newpix,

The dunes fill his heart with the sound of newpix,
His heart wants to sing
Every OTT song it hears

Cueballs heart wants to beat
Like the wings of the Cancerbirds
That rise from the See to the Things that fill the River

Cueball's heart wants to sigh
Like a GONG that flies
From a Sandcastle on a breeze

To laugh like a Small River
When it trips and Breaks
Over stones on its way
To sing through the DarkPix
Like a lark
Who is learning to post in the OTT

He goes to the Dunes
When he doesn't understand
He knows he will hear
What He's heard before
His mind will be blessed,
With the sound of Newpix
And I'll understand once more.


If anyone can do better, please...I don't think I'm very good at this


Pshaw -- don't diminish your work. That was great!!

And the mention of "wind" is extremely interesting, I think. Just as revealing as when there was first mention of "hills".

There's never been ANY mention of air motion before and the flags back on the castle never even twitched. Now we have positive indication of air currents1 and whole sky motion2. This also opens us up to hot winds, breaking wind, Santa Anas and fire season, gales, jet-streams, tornadoes, and radio talk-show blowhards like <insert hated radio extremist of your personal choice here>.

This is huge, I think!

1 small
2 BIG!

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Fri May 10, 2013 3:02 pm UTC
by Ebonite
k.bookbinder wrote:
mscha wrote:
Valarya wrote:I'm not in on the whole sand dune thing. It makes perfect sense that they traveled from a beach to a river, and followed the river far inland. But how on earth could they be at a desert so soon? They haven't even stopped to sleep or eat since they were at the river. :P

Spoiler:
Image


Excellent rebuttal mscha. And we must always remember, the Creator of Time created Time and is not bound by rules that may exist outside of Time. If He wants a river through the dunes (if that what they be) then a river shall flow through the dunes of Time.

...dunes of Time. Huh. They are crossing the Sands of Time...

Maybe this is like one of those D&D campaigns where the DM is a 14-year-old kid who knows nothing of geography.