1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ChronosDragon

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat May 11, 2013 4:08 am UTC

Kieryn wrote:
vvn wrote:Reading the comments about "Random", I ran across this:
SeySayux wrote:Those digits aren't random. In fact, they're copied directly from this book.

It makes me wonder if the "hash" values are from the same book, but translated to hex...

I keep thinking about this. But the more I do, I think that if Randall has left us a puzzle, which I'm inclined to think he has, then given the intricate nature of the unfolding story it's more likely the clues/solution will be less 'techy' than that. It's my belief that hashes are there to be deliberately indecipherable. However, if someone wants to do an exhaustive sha256 search of various sequences of digits from that book to see if they can hit any of the image hashes then I have no objections.

Seems to me that if there's a puzzle here we're missing, he'd start spelling it out more and more obviously until someone starts actually cracking it. Unless he doesn't care when it's solved. Maybe in that sense Time can be endless, or at least, endless until someone broke the code and found the hypothetical secrets...

ggh

Postby ggh » Sat May 11, 2013 4:09 am UTC

Limerick Time!

What's the deal with that first strong sea wall?
What's the next hat? Will Cueball soon fall?
But the best-guarded mystery
In this thread's crazy history:
What does MobTeeseboose think of it all?

(ETA title, lest anyone think I really wanted to discuss the sea wall.)
Last edited by ggh on Sat May 11, 2013 5:14 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Sat May 11, 2013 4:11 am UTC

Kieryn wrote:You're welcome, Wait Watchers1.

1Has that pun been done before?

Kinda...at http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043&p=3351123#p3351123
descor wrote:
spamjam wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Ebonite wrote:As I was ketchuping (ketching up? What's the correct conjugation of that compound verb?) I read the discussion a few newpages ago about language and the Uncanny Valley. I had been thinking that the dialogue in the OTC reminded me a lot of Chance the Gardener in the movie "Being There".

Sounds about right. And we like to watch...

For the many of us that are enjoying mostly observing the OT[CT]...we're Wait (For It) Watchers.

Does that mean we need to start eating these then?
Spoiler:

We had kinda-cupcakes!

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Sat May 11, 2013 4:17 am UTC

Flado wrote:
Valarya wrote:...snip...
j There are even some of us who have been in the OTT since the beginning, through every twist and turn, posting Sigcouragement to BlitzGirl on her journey, during the Madness, in the Rot13 pages and the Haiku pages... and who still post and hardly ever get responses.

FWIIW, I consider you a celebrity who always gets responses. See?
;-)

Here is a celebrity, replying to you. It's ALL connected, see? :D

mscha wrote:
Spoiler:

Definitely some kind of soft material. But wouldn't she have made a deeper dent if it were a sand dune?

Yes. And Cueball would have also. They would have slid farther too, which means it's NOT a sand dune! Ha ha!

buffygirl wrote:
Spoiler:
mathrec wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
mathrec wrote:It has been a while since I've tormented you with a puzzle! :twisted:

This one has another special message embedded. You have to solve the puzzle to find out what is special about this post. (Only this community would understand.) ;-)

I don't think I've said it yet -- Thank You, mathrec, for the honor!!! I did not solve it myself (I am terrible at sudoku), but from the solutions provided by others, it looks like it's either directly or indirectly about the work I do here on the thread. WOOT!

Would you like a hat?

*jaw drops*

I would be honored. I'll confess that I selected an avatar when I realized that I'd couldn't even request a hat without one.

I've been following this thread since the first few newpices. I've missed a few NP, but to the best of my knowledge, no one has ever been offered a hat without having first made a request.

Thank you, yes, I gratefully accepted the offered services of the newly appointed Vatican Milliner.

As I told Valarya earlier, hats have been bestowed as a surprise when none has been requested. However, I believe you are correct that I have not ever offered one in the thread in this manner.

So he's special...

... Welcome to the club, mathrec! :)
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat May 11, 2013 4:23 am UTC

Valarya wrote:
Flado wrote:
Valarya wrote:...snip...
j There are even some of us who have been in the OTT since the beginning, through every twist and turn, posting Sigcouragement to BlitzGirl on her journey, during the Madness, in the Rot13 pages and the Haiku pages... and who still post and hardly ever get responses.

FWIIW, I consider you a celebrity who always gets responses. See?
;-)

Here is a celebrity, replying to you. It's ALL connected, see? :D

"Celebrity" sure is a very relative term, huh.

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Sat May 11, 2013 4:31 am UTC

Ok, here's my rendering of "Livin' on a Beach" (it could have been better, but I'm coma-ing awake now):
Spoiler:
Cueball tried to work on the top
But he came to fall
He's down on his luck
It's clumsy, so clumsy

Megan works at the castles all day
Working with the sand
She notices: the water rises
It rises

She says
It's going to destroy
The sand castles
It won't matter if we try to stop it or not
But we got the sand
We can use it to hold it on
And it will buy us some time

Oh, then came the Fading
Ooh, and we could see nothing
La Petite has carried us away
Oh, we can see again

Cuegan went far, far away
Following sea and river alike, they're far away from home
So long, how long
The sea does whatever it wants
And it wants to meet the River
And they whisper "it hasn't happened, before"

And this is how we keep an eye
On the O.T.C.
It doesn't make a difference if it ends or not
We've got each other
And that's enough
For love (of Randall), we'll give it a shot

Oh, we'll never be there
Oh, livin' a cliffhanger
Take my hand
So you don't fall from there
Oh, livin' a cliffhanger
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

PhoenixRising

Postby PhoenixRising » Sat May 11, 2013 4:40 am UTC

Aaargh. Two dips (I think that's right?) and now I'm 20 Newpages back. What do. Time to miniBlitz, I guess.

Ketchup replies:
Spoiler:
StratPlayer wrote:<snipped broken Phoenix quote block>

Hmmmmm.... There's some quoting weirdness going on here -- I didn't say that in the first quote, as you can see in the second quoted snippet. I do fine putting dumb words in my own mouth, thank you very much... :wink:

You're right. I'm not quite sure where that went wrong (and I probably won't go back to figure it out unless it bothers you) but I seem to have misquoted. Sorry.

Sciscitor wrote:
ucim wrote:
Sciscitor wrote:Ok folks ... update on the quote tree graph (up to post 22300ish).

Awesome!

So, what's the polarity of the arrows? What's the color key? Does "post length" include the quotes, or just original content? Enquiring minds want to know!

Jose

Arrow polarity: "Tail" quoted "Head".
Color key: Light yellow to dark blue <-> short postings to long postings OR few quotes <-> many quotes
Posting length: Only original content, no quotes.

This is art, and epic art at that. Well done! Yay, I found my data point! And it's bigger than I expected!

ChronosDragon wrote:
AnotherKevin wrote:Even Outside, the river1 comes down from the hills. I climbed up there on Saturday2 and checked. You can see the river far off in the left background, or if you can't you can follow this link to zoom in on the image. The hill that's the viewpoint here is about 650 Cueballs high (and about of a height with the range seen across the valley). I wonder if that's bigger than the hills Cueball and Megan have at home. The much smaller river in the valley eventually does flow into the large river in the far background, but is flowing away from it at this point (it flows many kilocueballs in the opposite direction before joining it far to the north).

But are there people living in your hills?

Just a boy and his hawk. Technically there's a town too, but I don't think that counts as actually in the hills for the purposes of this discussion.

ttscp wrote:Wasn't there an image, derived from the one just before fadeout or something like that, where if you increased the contrast you got something very like the image Davidy posted? There was a small difference in the pixel colors, just enough to convey the image, but not to make it visible.

Yes, there was. The picture Davidy posted is a legit frame, just with some manip done to make the contrast clearer. *slowpoke.jpg*

Rule110 wrote:
mikrit wrote:

I have travelled from page 568 to say this: absolutely wonderful! (I wonder if Lord Randall can make a better ending.)

Here's a more revealing zoom-out from that picture:

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh5 ... 890a55.png

That is easily the most impressive implementation of the semencancercaffeinatedicebabies I've seen in the entire OTT. +1 Internets for you (adding to the ones you already got from everyone else).

Non-ketchup wondering: should I keep posting/following the OTT? My coma/work schedule means I'm pretty consistently 10 Newpages back, and based on some of the recent complaining about reply walls I have to wonder if I'm irritating some of you. >_> I'd rather let myself fade out than do that. At the same time, I'm not sure I'd keep following the OTT if I'm not contributing anything, so...

I dunno. You guys call it. Should I keep following, or should I Wait for It quietly/alone? (Tell me now and I'll react accordingly when I get back to the Present. If it's deemed best for me to Wait alone, I apologize in advance for whatever ketchup I post before I get to your Present.)
riverssong wrote:I step away for ten minutes and y'all are creating a new civilization?!

This is getting out of hand. Stop that right this minute.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sat May 11, 2013 4:42 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:Ok, here's my rendering of "Livin' on a Beach" (it could have been better, but I'm coma-ing awake now):
Spoiler:
But he came to fall
He's down on his luck
It's clumsy, so clumsy

Working with the sand
It rises

She says
It's going to destroy
The sand castles
But we got the sand

Oh, then came the Fading
Oh, we can see again

So long, how long

On the O.T.C.
We've got each other
And that's enough

Oh, we'll never be there
Oh, livin' a cliffhanger
Take my hand
Oh, livin' a cliffhanger

Much, much better than what I did back a newpage or so ago. A filk artist, indeed. Do you record them?
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Sat May 11, 2013 4:44 am UTC

PhoenixRising wrote:Non-ketchup wondering: should I keep posting/following the OTT? My coma/work schedule means I'm pretty consistently 10 Newpages back, and based on some of the recent complaining about reply walls I have to wonder if I'm irritating some of you. >_> I'd rather let myself fade out than do that. At the same time, I'm not sure I'd keep following the OTT if I'm not contributing anything, so...

I dunno. You guys call it. Should I keep following, or should I Wait for It quietly/alone? (Tell me now and I'll react accordingly when I get back to the Present. If it's deemed best for me to Wait alone, I apologize in advance for whatever ketchup I post before I get to your Present.)

Just use this (or a variant thereof) to clearly identify your ketchup post.

pelrigg wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:Ok, here's my rendering of "Livin' on a Beach" (it could have been better, but I'm coma-ing awake now)

Much, much better than what I did back a newpage or so ago. A filk artist, indeed. Do you record them?

You did it? It's not on the wiki and I didn't see it.
No, I didn't record it, as I don't have a mic and my voice is awesome awful anyway.
Last edited by AluisioASG on Sat May 11, 2013 4:50 am UTC, edited 4 times in total.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

vvn

Postby vvn » Sat May 11, 2013 4:45 am UTC

PhoenixRising wrote:Non-ketchup wondering: should I keep posting/following the OTT? My coma/work schedule means I'm pretty consistently 10 Newpages back, and based on some of the recent complaining about reply walls I have to wonder if I'm irritating some of you. >_> I'd rather let myself fade out than do that. At the same time, I'm not sure I'd keep following the OTT if I'm not contributing anything, so...

Yes. Keep on keeping on.
You want details? Many of us are this way. Spoiler the wallposts. (Or don't, as custom dictates.) And, provide amusement.

And, the sword is also fun......
Last edited by vvn on Sat May 11, 2013 5:07 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sat May 11, 2013 4:55 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
pelrigg wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:Ok, here's my rendering of "Livin' on a Beach" (it could have been better, but I'm coma-ing awake now)

You did it? It's not on the wiki and I didn't see it.
No, I didn't record it, as I don't have a mic and my voice is awesome awful anyway.

Sorry...I meant as in a general parody/filk song. (I attempted one based on "I've Been Everywhere" just recently) Again I did not do one based on "Livin' on a Beach". I was saying I'm about a -1/2 on a scale of 1 to 10 vs. your 9&1/2.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sat May 11, 2013 4:57 am UTC

pelrigg wrote:ong and Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer

Vatican Milliner's Perfect ONG?

AluisioASG wrote:Ok, here's my rendering of "Livin' on a Beach" (it could have been better, but I'm coma-ing awake now):
Spoiler:
But he came to fall
He's down on his luck
It's clumsy, so clumsy

Working with the sand
It rises

She says
It's going to destroy
The sand castles
But we got the sand

Oh, then came the Fading
Oh, we can see again

So long, how long

On the O.T.C.
We've got each other
And that's enough

Oh, we'll never be there
Oh, livin' a cliffhanger
Take my hand
Oh, livin' a cliffhanger

And here I was expecting a parody of Aerosmith's "Living on the Edge."
Last edited by HAL9000 on Sat May 11, 2013 4:57 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

ggh

Postby ggh » Sat May 11, 2013 4:57 am UTC

vvn wrote:

Yes. Keep on keeping on.
You want details? Many of us are this way. Spoiler the wallposts. (Or don't, as custom dictates.) And, provide amusement.

And, the sword is also fum......

This.

Also, I know you may feel some pressure to read everything, because you blitzgirled (sorry, I can't remember the rules for capitals in the verb form) but let that go if it starts to cost you more than it gives you. If you've got limited time, enjoy a graze rather than forcefeeding yourself the whole banquet. Ask any foie gras duck: that's no way to have a good Time.
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sat May 11, 2013 5:00 am UTC

The hammer is my Ong
Show him how it's done

fatness

Postby fatness » Sat May 11, 2013 5:03 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:OK, I am not feeling the love .... do y'all like my hats or not?!???

a little insecurity, control-freakishness, and possible power-tripping involved here

Your hats are marvelous as always. Worry not their preoccupation with trivial things and keep thy milliner head held high.

ucim

Postby ucim » Sat May 11, 2013 5:14 am UTC

PhoenixRising wrote:Non-ketchup wondering: should I keep posting/following the OTT? My coma/work schedule means I'm pretty consistently 10 Newpages back, and based on some of the recent complaining about reply walls I have to wonder if I'm irritating some of you.
Blitzing and mini-blitzing are Holy and Honorable Quests, which contribute to experiencing Time in its own time. Contributing to the discussion is also Holy and Honorable, as it is is what makes the One True Thread what it is. But it must be done because you want to, not because you feel you "must".

I would recommend that for a seaish condiment post, that the content be spoilered, and an unspoilered table of contents be at the top. Something like (what I did here):

Riverish (or Seaish) wall-of-replies:
  • fhorn: re. buttermongery
  • tman2nd: re. Blitzing - list of firsts
  • Dracomax: re. spoilering issues (ninjad)
  • mscha: re. giraffes as canonical units
Spoiler:
reply wall goes here
Readers can skip or not as they wish, and there are hints as to what they would be missing. In extreme cases, you could use two "chapters" of spoilers, one for stuff of more import, and another for stuff of lighter weight. (More than two spoilers is probably too much in most cases. Also note that spoilers don't nest.)

If people generally like this recommendation (or some other), perhaps it can be sigposted (as a suggestion, not a command) to the present Questers (of which I think there are something like ten now).

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sat May 11, 2013 5:20 am UTC

ucim wrote:
PhoenixRising wrote:Non-ketchup wondering: should I keep posting/following the OTT? My coma/work schedule means I'm pretty consistently 10 Newpages back, and based on some of the recent complaining about reply walls I have to wonder if I'm irritating some of you.
Blitzing and mini-blitzing are Holy and Honorable Quests, which contribute to experiencing Time in its own time. Contributing to the discussion is also Holy and Honorable, as it is is what makes the One True Thread what it is. But it must be done because you want to, not because you feel you "must".

I would recommend that for a seaish condiment post, that the content be spoilered, and an unspoilered table of contents be at the top. Something like (what I did here):

Riverish (or Seaish) wall-of-replies:
  • fhorn: re. buttermongery
  • tman2nd: re. Blitzing - list of firsts
  • Dracomax: re. spoilering issues (ninjad)
  • mscha: re. giraffes as canonical units
Spoiler:
reply wall goes here
Readers can skip or not as they wish, and there are hints as to what they would be missing. In extreme cases, you could use two "chapters" of spoilers, one for stuff of more import, and another for stuff of lighter weight. (More than two spoilers is probably too much in most cases. Also note that spoilers don't nest.)

If people generally like this recommendation (or some other), perhaps it can be sigposted (as a suggestion, not a command) to the present Questers (of which I think there are something like ten now).

Jose

This is definitely a great idea. The thing that gets to me occasionally is lengthy signposts from people dozens of pages behind (100 or more, usually). I suggest the addendum that if they're particularly far behind, that they make sure that what they're saying is important or especially clever.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

fatness

Postby fatness » Sat May 11, 2013 5:25 am UTC

I have somehow managed to keep up with Time since dip1 one and was finally compelled to join the discussion after two wips, registering and spending my time in moderation purgatory. I don't mind the ketchup or even the occasional salsa or marinara.

1 Can't find my calendar nomenclature cheat sheet but am ready for the comfy chair if necessary

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat May 11, 2013 5:26 am UTC

I'm away for 48 longpix (2 dips) with sparse Internet access, so woo! I get to do my first ketchup blitz! Makes me nostalgic for my Questing signposts, though all this quoting is devilishly hard on an iPad.

Anyway, here are some responses!
TimeTable of Contents - bah just saw the previous posts before I submitted; perhaps I will try this when I'm back to the laptop once more.
Spoiler:
AluisioASG wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
mscha wrote:The solution seems clear to me: no more coma for you, your Blitziness... :)

How much cancerbabybaconcaffeine will we need to keep her awake forever?

1.21 JW, I believe.

Great Scott! You're right!

ChronosDragon wrote:Nah, some amateur in this thread forgot to stabilize the inverse thermomechanical regulator diodes on the spermatogenitive stimulant infanticide apparatus. It started overheating, so we had to put it on ice.

*slow clap*

buffygirl wrote:
Valarya wrote:Am I the only one in the existence of this thread who received a BuffyHat™ without asking, prompting or requesting one? I R speshal.
¹ : bigger ones

Well, actually, Kieryn and mojacardave both received gifted hats without requesting, I believe, for their awesome graph-iness and stuff. And there have been a few where the individual themselves did not request a hat, but someone nominated them for a hat. I don't recall if cmyk requested his. I think I hatted you because you (probably inadvertently) issued a challenge that your avi could not be hatted. :P

I got a surprise hat! Well, not really a hat, since I already had one, but some nifty mods and an optional boa! And, I guess not really a surprise since buffygirl told me about it in a pastpost. But it was awesome!

PhoenixRising wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:But are there people living in your hills?

Just a boy and his hawk. Technically there's a town too, but I don't think that counts as actually in the hills for the purposes of this discussion.

Weird. There's one of those on my side of the mountain, too.

Don't worry about it, seems like most of the kerfluffle about blitzers has died down. Just tag your signposts, and use some spoilers, and you should be fine. :)

Vytron wrote:
Vytron wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Quest progress: 203 out of 286 pages.

Also, thanks for the gift! I'll see it one day, right now I'm afraid it may not be spoiler-free, but, I'll wait for it!

And I waited! And it was the most awesome thing in the entire thread!

My favorite frame, of course, was this:

And I was part of it! Ahh, the memories! The good old times when... oh wait, it's still going! I'm already nostalgic for something that is happening NOW!

BlitzGirl, I don't know what to say, can I make you my Goddess? Would a phrase like "Oh My BlitzGirl" be acceptable?

Glad you liked it! :D
I suppose you could if you wanted, there are all sorts of religion on the OTT. But I wouldn't want you to be heretical to the OTR. I do have the title Saint of the Timewaiters, so maybe Saint BlitzGirl? i don't know, I'm just a Knight!

SBN wrote:I got to watch clouds get dark Feb. 26, 1979, Pullman, WA. I was a poor college kid, that was as far as I could afford to go. Even without seeing the sun at all, there is something very emotional about darkness when it isn't supposed to be there. Now I'm a poor college parent, so I still can't afford to go see eclipses, but maybe someday.

Go Cougs!

HES wrote:Okay, okay, I'm de-lurking. Mostly because I have outsider things to be doing that I want to put off as long as possible.

I'm sure this will go largely unseen due to newbie-mod-limbo, but I've been here since the dawn of Things that be on my side for 600, Alex! and want to thank you all for an entertaining 1243+ newpix. The creativity that can be spawned by boredom/insanity/cake is imply stunning.

I'd like to think that the OTC was a Birthday present from Lord Randall to me, and therefore I will (It started on my Birthday; sorry, all the cake is gone)

So, er, Hi!

Hi! :)
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Platonix

Postby Platonix » Sat May 11, 2013 5:40 am UTC

Kieryn wrote:Data updated. Also:

Cleaned up the token database. I'm now filtering out all the most common words based on a couple of common word lists I did before.

Also words with non-alpha chars are not included.

This has speeded up the user profile pages quite a bit, but they could still be better.

The user profile Top words have now become Notable, because in addition to the filtering, I've also been measuring user word frequency vs thread background frequency. Only words with at least 5 times higher frequency for the user than background appear here now.

Also new feature (requested by Latent22): ForumRedirect?np=1000

You're welcome, Wait Watchers1.

1Has that pun been done before?

(URLs cut out because I have fewer than five posts and I assume leaving them in will get me Spamalotted.)

Words with non-alphabetic characters are out, but there are still some strange things in those profiles. One of my notable verbs is 'de', which confused me greatly until I remembered what my first post was. Still doesn't make sense, but now at least it's an amusing flavor of doesn't make sense.

(And with this post I rise from 2 posts to 3! Mwahahaha...)
"I hate quotations. Tell me what you know."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Sat May 11, 2013 5:43 am UTC

Kieryn wrote:Data updated. Also:

Also new feature (requested by Latent22): http://xkcd-time.kieryn.com/Default/For ... ct?np=1000

Thanks Kieryn!!!

Just Updated Book of Time pages with this link instead of my old one.

mscha: You can update your list of frames page to include this same link created by kieryn as well. Then with very little work you can have it link back to the forum location of each frame.

ucim

Postby ucim » Sat May 11, 2013 5:54 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:I suggest the addendum that if they're particularly far behind, that they make sure that what they're saying is important or especially clever.
...except that BlitzQuesters won't know what that is, as the context changes and some things gain significance, and other things lose it. Also what is significant or entertaining differs for each of us. The Words of BlitzGirl the First (from here) are apropos:
BlitzGirl, on her arrival into the Present Time, wrote:I have seen many wonders on my Quest, and this I have learned: Time is not absolute. Though dedicated forum-dwellers may debate names to a Period fresh to their eyes, a weary wanderer may come to the same TimeFrame many longpix later seeing it as but a flash in the long, long thread of Time. While some among us hold fast to the heels of the Now, posting with immediacy and brevity, there are still others at the same moment following 10 newpages back, or 50, or 300. Those of us who experienced the great Fading in real-Time have shared an experience those that follow will never quite match, just as we ourselves cannot comprehend the madness that struck in the early quickpix, or during the Madness itself.

Yet these divisions do not separate us, but make us more powerful. As grains of Sand(semencancercoffeebabies) in a Sandcastle, this needle-pulled thing works best when we are not all of the same shape. Our quirks clasp us together all the more strongly, so that when we Wait for it together - whatever Time we may travel, whatever sect we may splinter, whatever graph or song or hat we share - we are not alone. For though Time may scatter us among the pastposts and the Present, in the end, it is also what brought us to this mad, mad, glorious home in the first place.
These are Holy Words - they are words which should be remembered for all Time, and for all of time.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

descor

Postby descor » Sat May 11, 2013 6:00 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:For descor
descor-hat-s.png

descor.jpg

EDIT: placed images inline instead.

Thank you so much! That's fab!
Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Keeper of the chickens and Master of the Hutch.

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

Copernicium112

Postby Copernicium112 » Sat May 11, 2013 6:01 am UTC

EXQUISITE JUMPONGGGG
Crescat tempus; vita excolatur

vvn

Postby vvn » Sat May 11, 2013 6:05 am UTC

Spoiler:
Copernicium112 wrote:EXQUISITE JUMPONGGGG

Wow. I get the Ong on the OTT before the OTC. First Time that happened. (For me.)

Edit: My first prediction: A slide with noticeable sand movement... (Any bets?)

Copernicium112

Postby Copernicium112 » Sat May 11, 2013 6:10 am UTC

vvn wrote:
Spoiler:
Copernicium112 wrote:EXQUISITE JUMPONGGGG

Wow. I get the Ong on the OTT before the OTC. First Time that happened. (For me.)

Yeah, the OTC wasn't updating so I went ahead and got the url from mscha's page.

Noticeable groundsubstance movement is very possible, although the slope is not exceptionally steep. Also, I guess it depends on the definition of "noticeable," as previous jumps have noticeably (albeit slightly) moved the ground.

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Sat May 11, 2013 6:12 am UTC

As by request, a list of all references to Other Comics in the OTT:
Spoiler:
1 (8)
7 (8)
13 (10)
16 (12)
37 (11)
40 (12)
89 (1)
108 (23)
115 (2)
123 (1)
135 (6)
145 (12)
159 (12)
162 (6)
163 (7)
164 (6)
169 (1)
170 (10)
203 (14)
209 (4)
215 (12)
220 (1)
242 (4)
244 (11)
248 (1)
249 (10)
258 (1)
265 (1)
267 (1)
286 (11)
303 (22)
305 (1)
311 (2)
314 (2)
316 (1)
326 (13)
327 (2)
342 (1)
347 (2)
356 (2)
361 (1)
375 (12)
376 (2)
377 (1)
386 (1)
395 (3)
404 (6)
405 (3)
414 (11)
419 (2)
420 (12)
426 (1)
427 (1)
441 (10)
442 (44)
445 (2)
455 (3)
461 (1)
463 (16)
475 (2)
478 (12)
483 (3)
495 (1)
499 (1)
501 (10)
505 (16)
507 (12)
521 (3)
524 (10)
525 (10)
530 (14)
550 (14)
551 (1)
552 (1)
556 (1)
566 (5)
577 (12)
578 (1)
583 (30)
585 (1)
592 (2)
609 (5)
618 (1)
631 (40)
674 (10)
687 (1)
688 (12)
705 (2)
721 (2)
742 (1)
763 (6)
766 (1)
799 (1)
810 (1)
833 (2)
847 (2)
851 (10)
859 (2)
870 (1)
878 (16)
880 (14)
881 (1)
883 (11)
903 (1)
914 (1)
915 (44)
926 (2)
927 (10)
931 (2)
939 (10)
946 (1)
967 (2)
989 (2)
994 (10)
1000 (15)
1005 (3)
1007 (7)
1013 (2)
1017 (14)
1024 (2)
1027 (1)
1031 (2)
1032 (2)
1033 (1)
1037 (4)
1046 (1)
1048 (1)
1050 (5)
1051 (1)
1052 (17)
1059 (10)
1070 (2)
1089 (10)
1095 (10)
1102 (10)
1110 (7)
1116 (14)
1130 (1)
1137 (2)
1141 (9)
1153 (2)
1156 (1)
1158 (1)
1160 (1)
1162 (3)
1165 (2)
1166 (2)
1167 (3)
1169 (14)
1172 (6)
1175 (1)
1177 (12)
1179 (4)
1180 (10)
1181 (5)
1183 (10)
1185 (2)
1186 (1)
1190 (19)
1191 (2)
1193 (29)
1194 (1)
1195 (16)
1197 (14)
1198 (2)
1199 (12)
1200 (1)
1201 (2)
1202 (8)
1203 (16)
1204 (4)
1205 (7)
1206 (8)
1207 (8)
1208 (2)

Edited to include count data.
Last edited by Sciscitor on Sat May 11, 2013 6:52 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

vvn

Postby vvn » Sat May 11, 2013 6:15 am UTC

Copernicium112 wrote: Also, I guess it depends on the definition of "noticeable," as previous jumps have noticeably (albeit slightly) moved the ground.

That is what I meant. Basically same as before. Of course, she should fall. But, I figure that is more likely with Cueball. Mostly I was being sarcastic. Girl-in-air-will-fall prediction. HHGTTG not withstanding.

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Sat May 11, 2013 6:20 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:Not sure that's complete, I definitely remember maybe 3 and definitely 4 being mentioned not long ago.

This may be, my database is current up to about 22300 so it is certainly missing newer references.
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

vvn

Postby vvn » Sat May 11, 2013 6:30 am UTC

Anne E Moose, Copernicium112, FayZee, ggh, Google Feedfetcher, MobTeeseboose, mqmsju22, PreseeTug, Sandor, vvn and 16 guests

I think this is the fewest number of people I have ever seen on the OTT.

Edit: Until now. 2 dropped off during my post.
It's almost like people have other things to do ate Friday night. (Pokes stick at the list to see if they are awake.) (Clicks refresh...no change.)

Copernicium112

Postby Copernicium112 » Sat May 11, 2013 6:37 am UTC

vvn wrote:Anne E Moose, Copernicium112, FayZee, ggh, Google Feedfetcher, MobTeeseboose, mqmsju22, PreseeTug, Sandor, vvn and 16 guests

It's almost like people have other things to do ate Friday night. (Pokes stick at the list to see if they are awake.)

I don't see what other things those could possibly be. Friday night is Forum night. Like every night.

But yeah, the numbers get pretty low during the wee newpix of the night. I haven't kept track, but I feel like I have been on when only 6+guests have been around.

vvn

Postby vvn » Sat May 11, 2013 6:41 am UTC

Copernicium112 wrote:But yeah, the numbers get pretty low during the wee newpix of the night. I haven't kept track, but I feel like I have been on when only 6+guests have been around.

Yes. Wee newpix. I should probably do some coma inducing exercise. Wonder what might work... (Stares at hammer.)

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat May 11, 2013 6:42 am UTC

Copernicium112 wrote:
vvn wrote:Anne E Moose, Copernicium112, FayZee, ggh, Google Feedfetcher, MobTeeseboose, mqmsju22, PreseeTug, Sandor, vvn and 16 guests

It's almost like people have other things to do ate Friday night. (Pokes stick at the list to see if they are awake.)

I don't see what other things those could possibly be. Friday night is Forum night. Like every night.

But yeah, the numbers get pretty low during the wee newpix of the night. I haven't kept track, but I feel like I have been on when only 6+guests have been around.

Counter-intuitively, this thread seems to get the least amount of attention on weekends. I guess people have places to be, summer sunshine to enjoy, etc. And there's plenty of people I've seen who post from work, and may not spare the time at home. I, on the other hand, have much more opportunity to check on weekends, usually.

As for nights, well, the Graph (humm, can't find the code to link the little graph image and can't be bothered to go back and check) shows us that we're pretty heavily weighted towards the US (5/8 or so).

Copernicium112

Postby Copernicium112 » Sat May 11, 2013 6:50 am UTC

vvn wrote:Yes. Wee newpix. I should probably do some coma inducing exercise. Wonder what might work... (Stares at hammer.)

Sheena Easton's ab workout has always been a favorite of mine.

ChronosDragon wrote:
Copernicium112 wrote:
vvn wrote:Counter-intuitively, this thread seems to get the least amount of attention on weekends. I guess people have places to be, summer sunshine to enjoy, etc. And there's plenty of people I've seen who post from work, and may not spare the time at home. I, on the other hand, have much more opportunity to check on weekends, usually.

I've noticed the same thing. There is definitely a decrease in overall activity during the weekends, which makes late weekend nights especially noticeable. The student lifestyle is certainly most conducive to weekend forum browsing. The real world probably incentivizes other combinations of time use.
Last edited by Copernicium112 on Sat May 11, 2013 6:53 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

vvn

Postby vvn » Sat May 11, 2013 6:51 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:Counter-intuitively, this thread seems to get the least amount of attention on weekends. I guess people have places to be, summer sunshine to enjoy, etc. And there's plenty of people I've seen who post from work, and may not spare the time at home. I, on the other hand, have much more opportunity to check on weekends, usually.

I think your analysis is correct. Doesn't apply to me either. But, probably most.
I shall join you all again in good Time.
Applies hammer.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Sat May 11, 2013 6:54 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:I, in fact, also find myself quite envious of those with synesthesia. I feel like I'm missing out by not having it... :(

Imagine having it AND being colorblind. You wouldn't be able to see the correct shade of red as you thought you saw when looking at an "A".

fatness wrote:That's what my wife told me last night. :D

* rimshot *
* cymbal crash *

Please tip your timewaiter.

Um, I know what a job involving rims is...therefore I can get what the shot is.... but cymbal crash? I'm perplexed. Something to do with boobs, um, crashing them together like cymbals? Does that turn you on, or her?

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

descor

Postby descor » Sat May 11, 2013 6:59 am UTC

vvn wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:Counter-intuitively, this thread seems to get the least amount of attention on weekends. I guess people have places to be, summer sunshine to enjoy, etc. And there's plenty of people I've seen who post from work, and may not spare the time at home. I, on the other hand, have much more opportunity to check on weekends, usually.

I think your analysis is correct. Doesn't apply to me either. But, probably most.
I shall join you all again in good Time.
Applies hammer.

I've been so far behind the last couple of days I'm grateful that Time1 slows down at the weekends - gives me a chance to ketchup properly!

1Yes, I know it is the OTT which slows down and not the OTC, but the pun was too good to ignore!
Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Keeper of the chickens and Master of the Hutch.

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

Copernicium112

Postby Copernicium112 » Sat May 11, 2013 7:00 am UTC

"Gnostic," a tacit SONG

ggh

Postby ggh » Sat May 11, 2013 7:07 am UTC

What does it take to be among the "Users browsing this forum"? Do you have to refresh or something periodically? What does it mean when a name is always on the list? Malfunctioning computer? Moderator account? Data scraping?

I also wonder about the unfamiliar names who say nothing.... Lurking I get, but is there a reason to sign in to lurk? What if they're spies from our bosses, or worse, facebook?
Agatha the Awesomeful

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”