Page 662 of 2688

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Sun May 19, 2013 4:02 pm UTC
by fatness
jjjdavidson wrote:BurpONG?


More of a Ribbit.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Sun May 19, 2013 4:09 pm UTC
by partingLance
Quick BlitzPost (from NP 575 of 662):

Only when Cueball and Megan started encountering vegetation did I start to think of Paul Salopek's Out of Eden Walk.

(Something else I'm behind on. Well, forward on two fronts).

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Sun May 19, 2013 4:21 pm UTC
by ChronosDragon
astrocub wrote:Warning: The following post contains an annoying flashy animated gif that may or may not induce seizures.
Proceed at your own risk!

Randall help me, I am so sorry about this.

I haven't been able to sleep for days. This image has been haunting my mind everywhere I go. I must finish what I started.

Warning: Do not open the following spoiler if you have any history of seizures, epilepsy, migraines, brain-eating amoebi, double-dactyl dyslexia, semencancerbabies, swollen footnotes, sudden appearance of molpyflowers, or if you are taking any AEDs or MAOIs MAOIi .
Spoiler:
megballucinate.gif


Please do not quote this image without including clearly labeled warnings and spoiler tags. Talk to your doctor today to see if Semencoffeecancermustardbabiesonice® is right for you!

Edited to fix framerate. It seems to play slower in FF than chrome for me?
I'm just going to go sit and stare at the wall for a few hours now...


That is absolutely terrifying yet absolutely enthralling. It unsettles me like no other gif I've seen, yet I can't stop watching it...

Sciscitor wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:Introducing... Now with fancy pocketwatch graphics! And 16 subdivisions instead of outsider 12!

I like the new design a lot. What I do not quite get are the 16 subdivisions. Wouldn't be 10 more appropriate (maybe with half ticks between them)?


Sense? When were we ever concerned with sense? :)

I tried out 16 because it means there's 3 subdivisions between each cardinal subdivision. It looks nicer, but arguably is less useful (unless you split your newpix into 64 sexagintiquadrinewpix, in which case each tick mark is four of those). Perhaps I'll try 10 on the next iteration.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Sun May 19, 2013 4:27 pm UTC
by Angelastic
ChronosDragon wrote:I tried out 16 because it means there's 3 subdivisions between each cardinal subdivision. It looks nicer, but arguably is less useful (unless you split your newpix into 64 sexagintiquadrinewpix, in which case each tick mark is four of those). Perhaps I'll try 10 on the next iteration.

If there are cardinal subdivisions, is there also a pope subdivision, and maybe knight subdivisions (I suppose the whole thing is divided into day and knight, really) and an archdeacon subdivision?

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Sun May 19, 2013 4:37 pm UTC
by Valarya
Vytron wrote:Beware: heresy below.

Spoiler:
descor wrote:Don't make the mistake of thinking you have to have something to say in order to post in this thread. :mrgreen:


Well, that's a relief! :mrgreen:

Image.


Image

This is so fantastic, Vytron! I wish every Ketchup were done in comic form. It's so neat to see things we were talking about tons of newpages ago done that way. More more! :D

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Sun May 19, 2013 4:42 pm UTC
by astrocub
fatness wrote:
astrocub wrote:I'm just going to go sit and stare at the wall for a few hours now...

Made even more surreal here by REM's "Leave" coming up on the ol' Victrola at about the same time I clicked the button and synchronizing with the animation.

My left eye won't stop twitching.


Interesting choice, I was going with "After Hours" by Caribou:
Caribou wrote:And you and I will follow down the street
And when the rivers# end into the sea#
While I remember what you mean to me
And you and I, a spiral spinning round
And standing in a circle on the ground
I'll follow you until you wear me out
And in your summer and in the air
Have you forgotten how you got us here?


ETA video link

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Sun May 19, 2013 4:45 pm UTC
by Kieryn
What do we reckon are the chances of a large animal in the next few newpix? Say a dear or such like?

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Sun May 19, 2013 4:47 pm UTC
by AluisioASG
I went to Salem, MA yesterday, and I found this:
DSCF0137.JPG

I guess I should have bought that.

Kieryn wrote:What do we reckon are the chances of a large animal in the next few newpix? Say a dear or such like?

Oh, my deer...

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Sun May 19, 2013 5:03 pm UTC
by ucim
Tappety typety
jjjdavidson
wanted some poetry
fit for a nerd.

Start with some nonsense but
stick to the rhythm and
end with a sesqueped-
alean word.

Incubus thinkubus -
Such a response from us!
Not to be bested we
all joined the herd.

Neologistical
entries were flying and
soon there were prizes and
honors conferred.

waltzity schmaltzity
More like a jig, I see.
Write it with care to a-
void much disdain...

...about lexical choices. It
isn't sufficient to
polysyllabicate
something that's plain.

clickety clackety
Once on the track any
rhythmic distrubance can
derail the train.

What a calamety
That would be if somehow
things got a little
messed up. It would
all go down the drain.

Jose

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Sun May 19, 2013 5:04 pm UTC
by SBN
Image

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Sun May 19, 2013 5:04 pm UTC
by freezer
freezer wrote:We'll be zooming out all through the day.
Tomorrow, we will zoom-in on another part of the beach, where Cueball is just starting to work on a brand new sand castle. He'll be building it for at least 2-3 days. Then another zoom-out.
Next week: nightfall. The comic will be pitch black for the whole week.
Mid-April: Cueball and Megan wake up by the sand castles and start fixing up damage caused by a bunch of coyotes.
May: a mosquito bites Cueball and he screams. More sand castles. Megan goes to the bathroom.
2014: zoom in to a spot near one of the sand castles where a plant starts to bloom.
2017: the plant is now a huge tree, Cueball and Megan die from dehydration.
2035: xkcd servers go down due to a mysterious accident and we never get to see the ending.


That's what I said in March. Was I right so far?

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Sun May 19, 2013 5:08 pm UTC
by HAL9000
fhorn wrote:Dear Thread,
I have loved you for a very, very long Time, but never more than these last 5 or 6 NewPages or so.
your friend,
fhorn

Indeed. I've been enjoying this thread more and more.
Spoiler:
u guise r gweat

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Sun May 19, 2013 5:13 pm UTC
by Platonix
ucim wrote:
Spoiler:
Tappety typety
jjjdavidson
wanted some poetry
fit for a nerd.

Start with some nonsense but
stick to the rhythm and
end with a sesqueped-
alean word.

Incubus thinkubus -
Such a response from us!
Not to be bested we
all joined the herd.

Neologistical
entries were flying and
soon there were prizes and
honors conferred.

waltzity schmaltzity
More like a jig, I see.
Write it with care to a-
void much disdain...

...about lexical choices. It
isn't sufficient to
polysyllabicate
something that's plain.

clickety clackety
Once on the track any
rhythmic distrubance can
derail the train.

What a calamety
That would be if somehow
things got a little
messed up. It would
all go down the drain.

Jose

Painfully, maimfully
ucim has taken a
hammer to my frontal
cortex, I fear.

How could you callously
place that disgustingly,
meter-destroyingly
awful thing here?

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Sun May 19, 2013 5:14 pm UTC
by mscha
Spoilered for your sanity:
ucim wrote:
Spoiler:
Tappety typety
jjjdavidson
wanted some poetry
fit for a nerd.

Start with some nonsense but
stick to the rhythm and
end with a sesqueped-
alean word.

Incubus thinkubus -
Such a response from us!
Not to be bested we
all joined the herd.

Neologistical
entries were flying and
soon there were prizes and
honors conferred.

waltzity schmaltzity
More like a jig, I see.
Write it with care to a-
void much disdain...

...about lexical choices. It
isn't sufficient to
polysyllabicate
something that's plain.

clickety clackety
Once on the track any
rhythmic distrubance can
derail the train.

What a calamety
That would be if somehow
things got a little
messed up. It would
all go down the drain.

Jose

Ouch, my head! That hurts more than astrocub's animated hell! Image

Edit: ninja'd, much more elegantly, by Platonix. At least it's not just me. Image

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Sun May 19, 2013 5:17 pm UTC
by htom
freezer wrote:
freezer wrote:We'll be zooming out all through the day.
Tomorrow, we will zoom-in on another part of the beach, where Cueball is just starting to work on a brand new sand castle. He'll be building it for at least 2-3 days. Then another zoom-out.
Next week: nightfall. The comic will be pitch black for the whole week.
Mid-April: Cueball and Megan wake up by the sand castles and start fixing up damage caused by a bunch of coyotes.
May: a mosquito bites Cueball and he screams. More sand castles. Megan goes to the bathroom.
2014: zoom in to a spot near one of the sand castles where a plant starts to bloom.
2017: the plant is now a huge tree, Cueball and Megan die from dehydration.
2035: xkcd servers go down due to a mysterious accident and we never get to see the ending.


That's what I said in March. Was I right so far?


Pretty much not, unless you want to count two weeks as at least 2-3 days. Details in the links below.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Sun May 19, 2013 5:18 pm UTC
by trolleypup
SBN wrote:
Valarya wrote:
Angelastic wrote:Was it the paragraph used in the speech accent archive?
speech accent archive wrote:Please call Stella. Ask her to bring these things with her from the store: Six spoons of fresh snow peas, five thick slabs of blue cheese, and maybe a snack for her brother Bob. We also need a small plastic snake and a big toy frog for the kids. She can scoop these things into three red bags, and we will go meet her Wednesday at the train station.


Wow, speaking that out loud made me extremely conscious of my accent. :shock:

Might get some weird looks from those around also.
My daughter got put into speech therapy by the local school, until I figured out that the problem they were trying to solve was her lack of southern accent. Time installed it pretty well all on its own. Oddly, my younger daughter has less of an accent, unless she attempts to answer, 'Where are you from?'

Interesting...when reading out loud, I default to mimicking a favorite author...who has an accent nothing at all like mine.

I grew up in the South, but not of it...I never picked up the accent...can't even fake it. However, it took me 30 days to pick up an English accent, and a couple years to lose it.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Sun May 19, 2013 5:36 pm UTC
by J L
Maybe I'm not the first to notice, but it just struck me that there are by far more frames of "Time" now than 'regular' xkcd strips. I think that's remarkable.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Sun May 19, 2013 5:40 pm UTC
by HAL9000
J L wrote:Maybe I'm not the first to notice, but it just struck me that there are by far more frames of "Time" now than 'regular' xkcd strips. I think that's remarkable.

You're not the first one, but it is worth pointing out again, since Time now outnumbers the rest of xkcd by almost 200 strips.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Sun May 19, 2013 6:10 pm UTC
by mscha
UNCONGEALS...
Image

-- posted by newpixbot

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Sun May 19, 2013 6:15 pm UTC
by ergman
mscha wrote:UNCONGEALS...
Image

-- posted by newpixbot

Considering it's all related, we should be trying to derive some connection between newpixbot's dongs and the comic it dongs for

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Sun May 19, 2013 6:16 pm UTC
by Swein
freezer wrote:
freezer wrote:We'll be zooming out all through the day.
Tomorrow, we will zoom-in on another part of the beach, where Cueball is just starting to work on a brand new sand castle. He'll be building it for at least 2-3 days. Then another zoom-out.
Next week: nightfall. The comic will be pitch black for the whole week.
Mid-April: Cueball and Megan wake up by the sand castles and start fixing up damage caused by a bunch of coyotes.
May: a mosquito bites Cueball and he screams. More sand castles. Megan goes to the bathroom.
2014: zoom in to a spot near one of the sand castles where a plant starts to bloom.
2017: the plant is now a huge tree, Cueball and Megan die from dehydration.
2035: xkcd servers go down due to a mysterious accident and we never get to see the ending.


That's what I said in March. Was I right so far?


Lovely prediction, freezer! Unfortunately no nights in sight. I would have liked them. Imagine eyes glowing in the dark!

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Sun May 19, 2013 6:20 pm UTC
by mscha
ergman wrote:
newpixbot wrote:UNCONGEALS...
Spoiler:
Image

-- posted by newpixbot

Considering it's all related, we should be trying to derive some connection between newpixbot's dongs and the comic it dongs for

It must be a warning to Cuegan that the ground in the next scene is uncongealing (i.e. turning into quicksand) and that they'll start sinking in the next frame, if they continue on.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Sun May 19, 2013 6:23 pm UTC
by jjjdavidson
HAL9000 wrote:
J L wrote:Maybe I'm not the first to notice, but it just struck me that there are by far more frames of "Time" now than 'regular' xkcd strips. I think that's remarkable.

You're not the first one, but it is worth pointing out again, since Time now outnumbers the rest of xkcd by almost 200 strips.

─and shows no sign of ending. In fact, progress is retrograde; we seem to be farther from the end than four wips back, before la Petite or "I'll get some bags," or "bye."

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Sun May 19, 2013 6:37 pm UTC
by mscha
HAL9000 wrote:
J L wrote:Maybe I'm not the first to notice, but it just struck me that there are by far more frames of "Time" now than 'regular' xkcd strips. I think that's remarkable.

You're not the first one, but it is worth pointing out again, since Time now outnumbers the rest of xkcd by almost 200 strips.

Except that that's comparing apples and oranges. If you compare the number of TIme-frames with the number of frames in all other xkcd comics (including Click and Drag and Umwelt), we're probably still behind.

Wait...

Posted: Sun May 19, 2013 6:48 pm UTC
by Davidy
...for it.

Image

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:00 pm UTC
by spamjam
SQUIGGLYTHINGONG
Image
spermkite

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:07 pm UTC
by mscha
What is that thing??
Image

Edit: never mind, my monitor was dirty, it's gone now. ;)

Re: Wait...

Posted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:11 pm UTC
by jjjdavidson
Davidy wrote:...for it.
Image
Image

Edited 05/30/2013 for broken image link.

mscha wrote:What is that thing??
Image
Edit: never mind, my monitor was dirty, it's gone now. ;)
The dreaded raptorfly!

Re: Wait...

Posted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:13 pm UTC
by mscha
jjjdavidson wrote:
mscha wrote:What is that thing??
Spoiler:
Image

The dreaded raptorfly!

Enhance!
(Hmm, haven't seen BlitzGirl in a while... Oh well, I'm sure someone else from the CSI-style Enhancement Department will step in.)

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:17 pm UTC
by HAL9000
mscha wrote:Edit: never mind, my monitor was dirty, it's gone now. ;)

It's actually in the image (perhaps a leaf or two, floating on the wind? Or it's skymustard?), but you have no idea how often I mistake a smudge on the monitor screen for a change in the image.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:22 pm UTC
by mscha
HAL9000 wrote:
mscha wrote:Edit: never mind, my monitor was dirty, it's gone now. ;)

It's actually in the image (perhaps a leaf or two, floating on the wind? Or it's skymustard?), but you have no idea how often I mistake a smudge on the monitor screen for a change in the image.

I know, I was kidding. (It would have been quite weird if a smudge on my screen would have made it onto my (unenhanced) enlargement.:P)

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:38 pm UTC
by ChronosDragon
mscha wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:
mscha wrote:What is that thing??
Spoiler:
Image

The dreaded raptorfly!

Enhance!
(Hmm, haven't seen BlitzGirl in a while... Oh well, I'm sure someone else from the CSI-style Enhancement Department will step in.)


Zoom:
Image

ENHANCE!:
Image

I used the subpixel radiosity encapsulation method. It's not 100% accurate (it's been known to insert trebuchets where there are none) but it's better than some of the other techniques.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:44 pm UTC
by Pikrass
mscha wrote:What is that thing??
Spoiler:
Image

Edit: never mind, my monitor was dirty, it's gone now. ;)


Looks like a flying spermatozoon to me. It makes sense, given that the ground is made of semencancercoffeebabiesonice.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:44 pm UTC
by mscha
ChronosDragon wrote:ENHANCE!:
Spoiler:
Image

I used the subpixel radiosity encapsulation method. It's not 100% accurate (it's been known to insert trebuchets where there are none) but it's better than some of the other techniques.

Thanks, CSI-style Enhancement Department!
It makes sense, the thingamabob does indeed resemble the trebuchet projectiles from earlier. Could this be the microtrebuchet¹¹ that BlitzGirl supposedly rescued, but has never actually shown up after her arrival in the present?

¹¹: nope, only 5 syllables.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:55 pm UTC
by azule
Image

@astrocub - That is the most awfulesome thing I've ever seen. It forced me to blink every loop! :roll: <--*blinking smilie*

htom wrote:A-B-A-B-A-B-A-B becomes boring after a while, just about there, in fact, and I start playing with it.
A-B-A-B-A-B-A-B C-D-C-D A-B-A-B-A-B-A-B A-C-A-C B-D-B-D A-B-A-B-A-B-A-B

I think twisting the (A-B)+ to have interrhymes or to use alliteration as well can keep it interesting. StratPlayer did something with an encoded message. That's a rule that others could follow, they just haven't.

nerdsniped wrote:But I didn't really get why Cueball was talking about how beautiful it was, until I saw mscha's photo, and realized that what Cueball sees is not what we see.

Welcome! I actually saw you online before you had posted and wondered if you would ever post. Cool to see that you did. :)

But, according to xkcd #1037 (second pic to load) they don't see the colors. :(

Edit: Thanks to AluisioASG.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Sun May 19, 2013 8:02 pm UTC
by Earthling on Mars
MORESTUFFONG

Image

Did the raptorfly move or are Megball just kicking up dust?

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Sun May 19, 2013 8:05 pm UTC
by mscha
Earthling on Mars wrote:Did the raptorfly move or are Megball just kicking up dust?

It's definitely the raptorfly / thingamaboptor / microtrebuchet projectile which moved to the left.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Sun May 19, 2013 8:07 pm UTC
by ergman
Earthling on Mars wrote:MORESTUFFONG

Image

Did the raptorfly move or are Megball just kicking up dust?


it's probably mosquitoes. man I hate mosquitoes.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Sun May 19, 2013 8:09 pm UTC
by jjjdavidson
ergman wrote:
Earthling on Mars wrote:MORESTUFFONG
Image
Did the raptorfly move or are Megball just kicking up dust?

it's probably mosquitoes. man I hate mosquitoes.

Yeah, I think Megan's about to get bitten. *Yeowch!*
ETA: Wow, over 300 posts on the OTT. That may be more than I've done on all the rest of the internet combined.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Sun May 19, 2013 8:10 pm UTC
by mscha
ergman wrote:
Spoiler:
Earthling on Mars wrote:MORESTUFFONG

Image

Did the raptorfly move or are Megball just kicking up dust?

it's probably mosquitoes. man I hate mosquitoes.

I think you mean mosquitosaurs. Mosquitoes wouldn't quite show up on the unENHANCEd image.