1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

HAL9000
Not Red

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HAL9000 » Fri May 24, 2013 3:36 am UTC

ucim wrote:[Scene 7: exterior, morning]
Sounds of birds twittering, the slight rustling of people in their tents waking up. <longsnip>

Are all of the scribes/clerics supposed to be specific users? And which one am I? I kind of get the feeling that I might be First Cleric...
EDIT TO ADD: well, will you look at that. Centapope the Eighth.
Last edited by HAL9000 on Fri May 24, 2013 1:04 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Fri May 24, 2013 3:38 am UTC

I figured we need a 700 cake:
Also, a song:

Code: Select all

Bong it   #
Gong it   #
Dong it   #
Hats us   #
#         Harder
#         Louder
#         Longer
#         Smarter
Many      #
Thousands #
Our       #
Never     #
#         Newpix
#         Later
#         Wait is
#         Over
Bong it   #
Gong it   #
Dong it   #
Hats us   #
#         Harder
#         Louder
#         Longer
#         Smarter
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Bong it Harder
Gong it Louder
Dong it Longer
Hats us Smarter
Many Newpix
Thousands Later
Our Wait is
Never Over
Bong it Harder
Gong it Louder
Dong it Longer
Hats us Smarter
Many Newpix
Thousands Later
Our Wait is
Never Over
(repeat final verse lots of times)
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Fri May 24, 2013 3:42 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:I figured we need a 700 cake:
Also, a song:

Bong it   #
Gong it   #
Dong it   #
Hats us   #
#         Harder
#         Louder
#         Longer
#         Smarter
Many      #
Thousands #
Our       #
Never     #
#         Newpix
#         Later
#         Wait is
#         Over
Bong it   #
Gong it   #
Dong it   #
Hats us   #
#         Harder
#         Louder
#         Longer
#         Smarter
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Bong it Harder
Gong it Louder
Dong it Longer
Hats us Smarter
Many Newpix
Thousands Later
Our Wait is
Never Over
Bong it Harder
Gong it Louder
Dong it Longer
Hats us Smarter
Many Newpix
Thousands Later
Our Wait is
Never Over

The best part of this song is that you have to pronounce 'our' with two syllables, thus making it sound the same as 'hour' (which is both one of the words in the original song AND the rate at with Time updates).
My first and only act as Centapope the Eighth is to declare this the official anthem of the Eighth Centanewpage. After that is done, I hereby bestow upon you Centapopeship the Eighth, relinquishing my own title. After all, I've been Centapope before (end-Centapope of the Fifth Centanewpage {i.e. post #20000, but it's been subjected to two Firstposts inserted before it}, as well as Centapope of the Seventh Centanewpage {and having two in a row just isn't fair}). But I do still get to call myself Ex-Centapope the Eighth.
Last edited by HAL9000 on Fri May 24, 2013 3:54 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Fri May 24, 2013 3:43 am UTC

Did you know that "700 (seven hundred) is the natural number following 699 and preceding 701"
Wikipedia actually states that. Wow.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Fri May 24, 2013 3:46 am UTC

Happy New Century! And hey look! It's my 100th post! So... this is what I'm supposed to do, right?
HAL9000 wrote:A pixel of molpies.

Weirdly enough that was my first thought... but I've grown to love other suggestions :P

BlitzGirl wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:Good, but I'm partial to a "mope of molpies" myself.

Mope of Molpies is also awesome and fun to say :D

Also BlitzGirl's molpy-charming emoticon set was too good, I had to sig it... but couldn't because I got an error saying "It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image." Booo.

Oooh, I like mope of molpies too! Considering I am the Mopey Molpy Mome. :D
If you want to sig the charmed molpies, you may have to replace the molpy image url with this one: Image as the one I used in my post included shortened urls from the top-level .gp domain, which is Guadeloupe. I noticed that the forum software does not play nice with them. (The flute-playing smiley should be okay).

Ahh, it's too many characters anyway. Thanks though!
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri May 24, 2013 3:53 am UTC

mscha wrote:And crows don't murder. Moles don't run a company. Cats don't necessarily glare. You don't have to pity doves. Ducks don't need a raft. Foxes rarely skulk. Goldfinches may not be charming. It's not a good idea to boil hawks, they don't like that much. Mice aren't always mischievous. It's unlikely that owls have a parliamentary democracy. It is inadvisable to gulp a swallow. Don't give a swan a wedgie, just don't. Trouts don't hover. Woodpeckers sometimes ascent.
Your point is? :)
... perhaps on my head.

In any case, murder, glare, pity, etc.. are not sacred words. But appropriating a Sacred Word must be done with great care, and besides, there are much sillier words to choose from.

jjjdavidson wrote:Looking back over the little d-dactyl craze I started, I see that (though there are many excellent exceptions) the majority of them are about the thread rather than the comic─and all five of mine are about posters on the thread. Ouch.
But d-dactyls are supposed to be about somebody. Don't feel badly about that at all. And I disagree that the OTT should be just (or even mainly) about the OTC. It sounds like a silly cliche, but it is true. "It's all related. The OTC has created a community here, one that is unique in the internet communities that I've been associated with, in that everybody here wants to be nice to each other. Now being that we are all individual peop bots programmed to act like individual people, we will all have different ideas as to how to actually be nice, but it is something we all want to do.

BlitzGirl did say it best when she said, here:
BlitzGirl wrote:Yet these divisions do not separate us, but make us more powerful. As grains of Sand(semencancercoffeebabies) in a Sandcastle, this needle-pulled thing works best when we are not all of the same shape. Our quirks clasp us together all the more strongly, so that when we Wait for it together - whatever Time we may travel, whatever sect we may splinter, whatever graph or song or hat we share - we are not alone. For though Time may scatter us among the pastposts and the Present, in the end, it is also what brought us to this mad, mad, glorious home in the first place.

I do agree wholeheartedly with what Hal9000 said here about BlitzGirl numbers, but I don't think it's really become, or will become, a problem, because of what I said above. But we should all be mindful.

HAL9000 wrote:Are all of the scribes/clerics supposed to be specific users? And which one am I? I kind of get the feeling that I might be First Cleric...
If the shoe fits... :) But in reality, no, I am not secretly portraying specific people in my works, except for those that are actually named (such as those being honored in the commemorations). However, I may be inspired by the actions of different people, both here and elsewhere, and incorporate those ideas into the work (which is supposed to kind of mirror the OTC and the OTT).

(note to all - if anybody would specifically not want to be included as a character, or character trait inspiration, PM me.)

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Fri May 24, 2013 3:55 am UTC

I got it: a nipple of molpies.

Y'know, because how the molpies are always popping out just a nipple's-breadth. :D

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Fri May 24, 2013 3:55 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:Happy New Century! And hey look! It's my 100th post! So... this is what I'm supposed to do, right?

tumblr_lm4spaNB6N1qi4w9o.gif
tumblr_lm4spaNB6N1qi4w9o.gif (173.07 KiB) Viewed 17256 times
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.
- Felix Adler, professor, lecturer, and reformer (13 Aug 1851-1933)

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Fri May 24, 2013 3:56 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:Happy New Century! And hey look! It's my 100th post! So... this is what I'm supposed to do, right?

This is probably the best thing I've seen all day, and it's 11pm here.

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Fri May 24, 2013 3:57 am UTC

Also, a song:

Bong it   #
Gong it   #
Dong it   #
Hats us   #
#         Harder
#         Louder
#         Longer
#         Smarter
Many      #
Thousands #
Our       #
Never     #
#         Newpix
#         Later
#         Wait is
#         Over
Bong it   #
Gong it   #
Dong it   #
Hats us   #
#         Harder
#         Louder
#         Longer
#         Smarter
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Bong it Harder
Gong it Louder
Dong it Longer
Hats us Smarter
Many Newpix
Thousands Later
Our Wait is
Never Over
Bong it Harder
Gong it Louder
Dong it Longer
Hats us Smarter
Many Newpix
Thousands Later
Our Wait is
Never Over

Is that supposed to be a Dethklok song? Because that's what I heard in my head as I read along. Image

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Fri May 24, 2013 3:59 am UTC

slinches wrote:

Also, a song:

Bong it   #
Gong it   #
Dong it   #
Hats us   #
#         Harder
#         Louder
#         Longer
#         Smarter
Many      #
Thousands #
Our       #
Never     #
#         Newpix
#         Later
#         Wait is
#         Over
Bong it   #
Gong it   #
Dong it   #
Hats us   #
#         Harder
#         Louder
#         Longer
#         Smarter
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Bong it Harder
Gong it Louder
Dong it Longer
Hats us Smarter
Many Newpix
Thousands Later
Our Wait is
Never Over
Bong it Harder
Gong it Louder
Dong it Longer
Hats us Smarter
Many Newpix
Thousands Later
Our Wait is
Never Over

Is that supposed to be a Dethklok song? Because that's what I heard in my head as I read along. Image

Not exactly.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Fri May 24, 2013 4:01 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:The best part of this song is that you have to pronounce 'our' with two syllables, thus making it sound the same as 'hour' (which is both one of the words in the original song AND the rate at with Time updates).
My first and only act as Centapope the Eighth is to declare this the official anthem of the Eighth Centanewpage. After that is done, I hereby bestow upon you Centapopeship the Eighth, relinquishing my own title. After all, I've been Centapope before. But I do still get to call myself Ex-Centapope the Eighth.
Yep, that's why I kept the 'our' from the original. I'd originally had 'thousand' and 'newpix' the other way around but 'newpix our' didn't flow well so I switched to 'thousands our', when my search for 'words which sound similar to 'newpix' and could replace 'our' failed.
Also before figuring out how to do the second part I thought I wanted to get the word 'river' in there, but it didn't work out (especially since 'small', 'sea', and 'big' don't really fit at all).

My first act as Centapope the Eight is to strongly suggest someone recreate the official anthem of the Eighth Centanewpage (as declared by the previous Centapope the Eighth) using an audible medium.
My second is to BONG
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Fri May 24, 2013 4:06 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
slinches wrote:

Also, a song:
Spoiler:

Bong it   #
Gong it   #
Dong it   #
Hats us   #
#         Harder
#         Louder
#         Longer
#         Smarter
Many      #
Thousands #
Our       #
Never     #
#         Newpix
#         Later
#         Wait is
#         Over
Bong it   #
Gong it   #
Dong it   #
Hats us   #
#         Harder
#         Louder
#         Longer
#         Smarter
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Bong it Harder
Gong it Louder
Dong it Longer
Hats us Smarter
Many Newpix
Thousands Later
Our Wait is
Never Over
Bong it Harder
Gong it Louder
Dong it Longer
Hats us Smarter
Many Newpix
Thousands Later
Our Wait is
Never Over

Not exactly.

I thought it was. But where's the Kanye raps?

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Fri May 24, 2013 4:10 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
slinches wrote:Is that supposed to be a Dethklok song? Because that's what I heard in my head as I read along. Image

Not exactly.
Fun fact:
People may or may not remember the youtube-link-changing userscript I posted several newpix ago. Anyhow, when I clicked that link it instead sent me to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2cYWfq--Nw.
Close enough.
azule wrote:I thought it was. But where's the Kanye raps?
Yo azule, I’m really happy for you and Imma let you finish, but Daft Punk make the best Daft Punk tracks of all time. OF ALL TIME!

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Fri May 24, 2013 4:14 am UTC

@ucim: ucim, thanks for the honor! I always loved your Acts, Scenes and Chapters, you rule! :)

@azule: Thanks for keeping posting the panorama, and I really like your heretical branches!

@yappobiscuits: Congrats on the 100th! Here, have some toffee sundae:

As giant as it looks - there's enough for everybody!
Go! Go! You can do it username5243!
Cheers Marsh'n!

Your ad here. No, seriously! It's free! PM me if interested.
THANKS KARHELL!! :)

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Fri May 24, 2013 4:15 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:My second is to BONG

Quick poll: does anyone still make use of the dong, or is a newpix length now firmly burned into all our BrainRAM1?
Spoiler:
Or L2 cache, or maybe even L1 for some.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri May 24, 2013 4:17 am UTC

ucim wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:Are all of the scribes/clerics supposed to be specific users? And which one am I? I kind of get the feeling that I might be First Cleric...

If the shoe fits... :) But in reality, no, I am not secretly portraying specific people in my works, except for those that are actually named (such as those being honored in the commemorations). However, I may be inspired by the actions of different people, both here and elsewhere, and incorporate those ideas into the work (which is supposed to kind of mirror the OTC and the OTT).

(note to all - if anybody would specifically not want to be included as a character, or character trait inspiration, PM me.)

requote to add... When honoring somebody (like the Catographer), I may choose from existing characters if appropriate - in this case the third scribe had previously located the river, and was a good choice for promotion into the ranks of Named Character.

Jose
Last edited by ucim on Fri May 24, 2013 4:20 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Fri May 24, 2013 4:18 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:

This is probably the best thing I've seen all day, and it's 11pm here.

I just laughed so loudly. :mrgreen: Good thing it's late and my daughter is at her dad's house right now because that laugh would have woken her up. Best thing I've heard all day. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

This is completely NSFW, but felt it was necessary to celebrate yappo's hilarious contribution. Seriously, don't click it if you don't want to see penis-shaped icing on a cupcake.
Spoiler:

Oooh, and apparently Hal is in my timezone. :P
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Fri May 24, 2013 4:21 am UTC

My, um, next-numbered act as Centapope the Eighth is to admit that I've never used the DONG or any artificial aid to inform me of the arrival of newpix.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Fri May 24, 2013 4:23 am UTC

slinches wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:NommONG...
Spoiler:

It's like they haven't eaten for wips!

Phew ... it would have been rather ironic (and embarrassing) if we forgot about the OTC and let newpixbot post the newpix while ranting about forgetting we aren't the focus of the thread.

Except, why do we want to make newpixbot sad? :( (I wrote my story with this feeling in mind....maybe I do need a second edition, Exodies. lol)

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Fri May 24, 2013 4:24 am UTC

poxic wrote:

Spoiler:

HAL9000 wrote:This is probably the best thing I've seen all day, and it's 11pm here.

Vytron wrote:@yappobiscuits: Congrats on the 100th! Here, have some toffee sundae:

Spoiler:

As giant as it looks - there's enough for everybody!

Valarya wrote:I just laughed so loudly. :mrgreen: Good thing it's late and my daughter is at her dad's house right now because that laugh would have woken her up. Best thing I've heard all day. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

This is completely NSFW, but felt it was necessary to celebrate yappo's hilarious contribution. Seriously, don't click it if you don't want to see penis-shaped icing on a cupcake.
Spoiler:

Thanks guys! And thanks for the sundae, Vytron... you're not far behind, I guess I'll soon be returning the favour :D. And thanks for the very special cupcake, Valarya :P

Various edits: Some BBCode in there broke the forum or something O_O. I fixed it eventually...
Last edited by yappobiscuits on Fri May 24, 2013 4:30 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Fri May 24, 2013 4:27 am UTC

RobIrr wrote:
azule wrote:
RobIrr wrote:Right... Time off to brush Tiddler's hair and get her to school...
Is that her name, or were you saying "toddler"?

Tiddler is just a pet name ... it translates usually to "small person" .. :D

I've only ever heard tiddler refer to small fish but as you don't specify what kind of daughter you have this may not be a new usage.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Fri May 24, 2013 4:36 am UTC

Wow. Just wow, yappobiscuits! You just posted the most amazing FreakPost of the thread!

It must be saved for posterity:

Spoiler:

(For left aligned avatars, which I keep switching back and forth)

T'was a great use of space, by the way, I'm glad I was here to see it before it was fixed disappeared! :mrgreen:
Go! Go! You can do it username5243!
Cheers Marsh'n!

Your ad here. No, seriously! It's free! PM me if interested.
THANKS KARHELL!! :)

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Fri May 24, 2013 4:39 am UTC

Opiboble wrote:
mscha wrote:Molpy update: seems to have disappeared in this frame.

yeah, looks like it was moving onto the ground so it could travel faster.

So far in all molpy apparitions we've only seen his left side. I wonder if he is pure 2D and can't turn over; his left side is his front side and he has no back side. Please re-read substituting she for he; I don't see why gender balance should only be a chore for the writer.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Fri May 24, 2013 4:40 am UTC

Vytron wrote:Wow. Just wow, yappobiscuits! You just posted the most amazing FreakPost of the thread!

It must be saved for posterity:

Spoiler:

(For left aligned avatars, which I keep switching back and forth)

T'was a great use of space, by the way, I'm glad I was here to see it before it was fixed disappeared! :mrgreen:

Haha, I never noticed because I was so busy trying to fix it, but it actually does make excellent use of the space! XD

All I did was accidentally put an end-spoiler tag outside of the quote in which the spoiler started...
Last edited by yappobiscuits on Fri May 24, 2013 4:41 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri May 24, 2013 4:41 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:<snip> BlitzGirl, whether she wanted it or not, became Homecoming Queen of the thread.

Not. Definitely not. Eww.

I'd even take Mome over Homecoming Queen! And y'all know how much of a Mopey Mome I would be...
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Fri May 24, 2013 4:42 am UTC

@Vytron - You're welcome, and thanks.

Valarya wrote:This is completely NSFW, but felt it was necessary to celebrate yappo's hilarious contribution. Seriously, don't click it if you don't want to see penis-shaped icing on a cupcake.
Spoiler:
Woah, that was intense. It's,...uh..., pretty. :oops: You can do no wrong with cupcakes, Valarya. :)
Now I wish I could see/hear that video/song? that yappo posted. *hopes for better internet access next xip.

partingLance

Postby partingLance » Fri May 24, 2013 4:45 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:Is that... wood?

That's what she said! (... asked?).

... meh, skip it1. I got nothin'. Except the Quest.

1Like a stone on the Sea2.
StratPlayer wrote:And at this very moment, someone on the Isle of Wight named Bungalo Bill is listening to the 'splat' made from using their family album to squash a beetle, that had ran, helter-skelter, straight for the wild honey pie made by his dear wife Prudence...

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri May 24, 2013 4:58 am UTC

Spoiler:
Also, a song:

Bong it   #
Gong it   #
Dong it   #
Hats us   #
#         Harder
#         Louder
#         Longer
#         Smarter
Many      #
Thousands #
Our       #
Never     #
#         Newpix
#         Later
#         Wait is
#         Over
Bong it   #
Gong it   #
Dong it   #
Hats us   #
#         Harder
#         Louder
#         Longer
#         Smarter
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Bong it Harder
Gong it Louder
Dong it Longer
Hats us Smarter
Many Newpix
Thousands Later
Our Wait is
Never Over
Bong it Harder
Gong it Louder
Dong it Longer
Hats us Smarter
Many Newpix
Thousands Later
Our Wait is
Never Over

Amazing! I'd love to hear a recorded rendition of this, though given the progress (or lack thereof) made on other certain musical projects, I doubt it'd ever get done. I'll have to be content to sing it in my head over, and over, and over again :D

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri May 24, 2013 5:00 am UTC

Another 700 cake for the NP. Enjoy.
(Shh, it's a leftover from my 700th post party, don't tell anyone.)
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Fri May 24, 2013 5:04 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
Spoiler:
Also, a song:

Bong it   #
Gong it   #
Dong it   #
Hats us   #
#         Harder
#         Louder
#         Longer
#         Smarter
Many      #
Thousands #
Our       #
Never     #
#         Newpix
#         Later
#         Wait is
#         Over
Bong it   #
Gong it   #
Dong it   #
Hats us   #
#         Harder
#         Louder
#         Longer
#         Smarter
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Bong it Harder
Gong it Louder
Dong it Longer
Hats us Smarter
Many Newpix
Thousands Later
Our Wait is
Never Over
Bong it Harder
Gong it Louder
Dong it Longer
Hats us Smarter
Many Newpix
Thousands Later
Our Wait is
Never Over

Amazing! I'd love to hear a recorded rendition of this, though given the progress (or lack thereof) made on other certain musical projects, I doubt it'd ever get done. I'll have to be content to sing it in my head over, and over, and over again :D

and over...
and over...
and over...
and over...
and over...
and over...
and over...
All right, I suppose I'll coma.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Fri May 24, 2013 5:04 am UTC

schlONG

htom

Postby htom » Fri May 24, 2013 5:09 am UTC

I'm wondering if in their world grapes ferment on the vine. They seem to be consuming many of them.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Fri May 24, 2013 5:11 am UTC

kenmelken wrote:Contemplating whether stealing is wrONG here...

As a former fence-ist, I humbly concede to the victory of the vineyard proponents.

I think I can explain the anomaly of the beginning of the grape vine row - it should have had a tensioning wire fastened to a stake leaning away from the first post but instead has a piece of the cross bar sticking out. Remember that the Frames are not continuous, they don't line up end to end, there are undrawn gaps. If there were undrawn gaps WITHIN Frames and there was one just at the beginning of the vine row, voila, what we get is what we see.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Fri May 24, 2013 5:13 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:Good, but I'm partial to a "mope of molpies" myself.

Mope of Molpies is also awesome and fun to say :D

Also BlitzGirl's molpy-charming emoticon set was too good, I had to sig it... but couldn't because I got an error saying "It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image." Booo.

My suggestion - an intention of molpies

And it's not ok to take some, Cueball, these are not wild things, so it's stealing.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Fri May 24, 2013 5:18 am UTC

My ketchup blitz is at and end! I have finally arrived at the present. Just in time to coma.

There was more I'd have liked to comment on and contribute to but it has been a long long day and I must coma.

Dracomax wrote:
Spoiler:
fhorn wrote:
Swein wrote:BrokONG tree
[Edit]: This tree looks like it has undergone some kind of transformation in the third dimension.

I've gotten so used to everyone's skills here, when I first saw this newpix I thought it was another scam clever artistic interpretation!!! :shock: goes back to original comic, checks again, rubs eyes, checks again

Double post due to SHOCK at the latest revelation from GLR and DOUBLE SHOCK that the TREE IS BENT/ALL CONTORTED/ODD-LOOKING and there's been no real speculation about it! Where are the Loopists??? Where are the End-of-Timers??? What's happened to us????!!!?

ETA: *running in circles all panick-y*

Obviously a giant lagomorpharaptor (morphy for short) tried to land in the tree. silly Lagomorparaptor, there was already a laden swallow there.

Perhaps the GLR tried his hand at bonsai. Its a baobab bonsai.

Dracomax wrote:
Spoiler:
Holy mother of Megan and Cueball! I've been posting in this thread for 2 months now. it feels like a couple of weeks, tops.

Indeed, it is incredible to think that I joined over 1400 np ago and made my first post. Sometimes it seems though Time will never change and we will be eternally waiting. But then I think, where indeed has the time gone, and the newpix have flown by.

StratPlayer wrote:
Spoiler:
I've been doing a little scientific research and I believe I've discovered clear and irrefutable evidence that Angelastic is correct:

Angelastic wrote:WE WERE RIGHT!

They are having a baobaby!

Consider this obvious chain of relatedness:

1. The GLR has populated the OTC with trees that appear to be baobabs.

2. Baobab is also the name of a musical group out of Dunham, NC consisting primarily of an artist named Phil Torres, who is also a writer.

3. Phil Torres has also written a book called "A Crisis of Faith - Atheism, Emerging Technologies and the Future of Humanity"

4. A Crisis of Faith is a familiar trope and is a central element in Arthur C. Clarke's short story "The Star".

5. Clarke's "The Star" had a Jesuit priest who was horrified to learn that a nova that eliminated a civilization was the Star of Bethlehem.

6. Bethlehem is also a city in Pennsylvania, named after the birthplace of Jesus shown on by that star, and is also the birthplace of Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson.

7. Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson had his first major movie role as "The Scorpion King," first introduced in "The Mummy Returns" and then expanded in the prequel "The Scorpion King".

8. "The Scorpion King" had a soundtrack with the single "I Stand Alone", recorded by the group Godsmack.

9. "I Stand Alone" was recorded at The Hit Factory in Miami, Florida. This studio was formerly known as Criteria Studios.

10. Criteria Studios was where The Allman Brothers recorded the studio parts of their classic album "Eat a Peach".

11. There have been recurring rumors that the name "Eat a Peach" and the album art allude to guitarist Duane Allman's motorcycle death in 1971, but it actually refers to a comment he made when asked by reporter Ellen Mandel of Good Times Magazine, "How are you helping the revolution?" Duane Allman's reply included, "...and every time I'm in Georgia, I eat a peach for peace."

12. Georgia peaches are world-famous and the name is used in many ways. There's even the Georgia Peach Award -- an award for outstanding teen literature.

13. The first Georgia Peach award was awarded in 2005, and was won by "The First Part Last", a book that deals with...

pregnancy!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

It's obvious what the implications of this are: Angelastic was 100% correct!

Does anyone else remember a time when TLC was still The Learning Channel and intersting to watch, and they had a show called Connections, hosted by James Burke? StartPlayer, are you James Burke by chance?

mathrec wrote:
Spoiler:
ggh wrote:This was for mathrec, but it's not so good - sorry. I thought I could do better but no, not if I'm going to get any coma at all.
(Please imagine, if you will, that the second half is to the right of the first half.)

drent-fassee, drongd-vassi
markings on baobab trees
blair-witchy-spookiness
brings on the dread.

Stressed over fading sand
borne brisk amoeba angst
Black-whitey poisons Sir
(sigh) *nerd ran to bed*

Very nice. I've been playing with these for the last 20 or so newpix. That is quite a feat to merge the anagram challenge with the double-dactyl. (If anyone doesn't have their jaw on the floor, just try to write two double dactyl lines that have meaning relevant to the forum and are anagrams of each other!)

BRAVO, sir! I'll respond in kind, praising your ability to merge the forms:
*agog* Two? Hot! / A woot to ggh!

Indeed! In my haste to ketchup I believe I missed the significance of this one. I found my one double dactyl poem to be an immense challenge. I read this one and thought once again that the OTT is indeed full of wonderfully talented people. But I missed the note to imagine that the verse were side by side. I missed the anagram! How absolutely wonderful! I could not in a million newpix think of something so clever. Wonderful!

StratPlayer wrote:
Spoiler:
Dracomax wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
thirds wrote:WeirdONG

I hear ya, Megan -- I've wondered that same thing many times over during the long-draw of the OTC...

*Glares with intent*

Well, I meant in a non-heretical, trusting, and faithful-follower of the OTC kind of way, of course...

And as an aside: can one glare unintentionally?

Yes. Sometimes I have staring spells - what others may call "spacing out". Often, I do not wear an expression of dumb placidity, but one of concentration which, if pointed in the direction of another, might be interpreted as glaring, and indeed has. Again, I believe my coworkers already think me mad.

StratPlayer wrote:
Spoiler:
Dracomax wrote:
Opiboble wrote:Good after Coma everyone : ) How it be going in the OTT this fine newpix?

The tree is odd, and has writing on it. Also, it may or not be possible to glare unintentionally.

Hmm.... Well, let's see:

1. Unintentional glare can be a problem with flash photography, but one suggestion on how to reduce it is to use pellon over the flash.

2. Pellon is a batting material that can diffuse light. It is also the last name of the artist Gina Pellon

3. Gina Pellon became famous in France, but was originally from Cuba.

4. Cuba is famous for their Cuban cigars.

5. Cigars were customarily given out at the birth of a baby.

So, it's clear once again that it IS all related, and they ARE having a baby!

Maybe you are not James Burke, but are somehow connected.

jetpac wrote:
Spoiler:
Dracomax wrote:
edfel wrote:
Valarya wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:YESCUEBONG
That makes complete sense.

Hmm... maybe it's a suntree?

It... it does?! Cueball, sometimes you just shouldn't open your mouth at all, because when you do, we see glazed babies.

Of course it does: if a treewow, that can grow this big, decides that bending this way is a good move in life, then the last thing I'd be doing is suggesting that it's wrong simply because it is way bigger than me.

It may be way bigger than me, but based upon my experience with trees, I'm almost certainly much, much faster. and I have opposable thumbs. and a chainsaw.

Who gave the inquisitor a chainsaw? This seems extremely dangerous for those of us who have become accustomed to comfy chairs, chocolate, and burnt steaks.

This is worrisome, indeed. Should he accidentally use the chainsaw on the comfy chair, we shall have a real crisis.

Dracomax wrote:
Spoiler:
airdrik wrote:
jetpac wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
edfel wrote:
Valarya wrote:
<snip>

It... it does?! Cueball, sometimes you just shouldn't open your mouth at all, because when you do, we see glazed babies.

Of course it does: if a treewow, that can grow this big, decides that bending this way is a good move in life, then the last thing I'd be doing is suggesting that it's wrong simply because it is way bigger than me.

It may be way bigger than me, but based upon my experience with trees, I'm almost certainly much, much faster. and I have opposable thumbs. and a chainsaw.

Who gave the inquisitor a chainsaw? This seems extremely dangerous for those of us who have become accustomed to comfy chairs, chocolate, and burnt steaks.

And besides, what heresy has the tree8 committed that it would deserve such a punishment of the high inquisitor? If it has committed any heresy (which even to suggest that it has committed heresy is heresy as it was placed there by the GLR himself and as such cannot commit heresy), certainly it deserves a more fitting punishment: a careful removal of its fruits to be distributed to the followers of the OTC and OTT.

No, the use of a chainsaw against a tree would be purely a matter of self defense. or a need for mahogany furniture.

In which case the baobab are safe.

astrocub wrote:
Spoiler:
StratPlayer, I am mentally crowning you as the honorary James Burke of the OTT.

Ah ha! So someone else does remember! My ketchup shall be ninja'd once it reaches the present. No sense trying to change the past now.

mathrec wrote:
Spoiler:
Opiboble wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
Opiboble wrote:...On a side note: Well done steaks are not burnt unless you don't know how to cook meat.

While that may be true, it is immaterial to the post, because one of the recognised punishments of the inquisition is that we burn the steak at you.(as opposed to burning you at the stake)...

I was under the impression that we were throwing well done steaks... Oops.

I think the Inquisition has done a great service to the civility of our forum. It is the perfect kind of Inquistion: actively engaged, supported by the community, and inept ineffective. The recognized punishments of the Inquisition give the suggestion of being pleasant, then fall disappointingly short.

So steaks smell really good when you're cooking them (apologies to our vegans), but when the Inquisitor doesn't stop, the heretic gets a charred, barely edible steak after enduring the promise of something savory.

It's a fitting mock punishment for mock heresy. We joke about the Inquisition for mock offenses (since we have enough sects to guarantee that any dogmatic assertion is heretical to someone). But it sets the tone for how we keep each other in line. When we have real transgressions (that threaten the civility of the forum), then we've already set the right tone. We're used to taking lighthearted threats from each other when we violate our mock forum conventions, so we've been responding well to lighthearted (but serious) suggestions to stay away from actual mockery or flame wars.

Spoken with true wisdom.

taixzo wrote:
Spoiler:
mscha wrote:
xpatiate wrote:
ucim wrote:Clickty clikety;
HAL (not the red one) com-
manded the spoiler to
hide and restore,

characteristically
monomaniacal,
stopping at last when his
dactyl was sore.
Consecutive double-dactyls! I tips me hat. I've been wondering if it would be possible to construct a double-dactyl (verse) that consists of three consecutive double-dactyls (words) (plus obviously an extra four syllables on the end) - I have plenty of adjective/noun combinations, but adjective/adjective/noun seems like cheating and I have not yet found a hexasyllabic verb...

Well, “hexasyllabicize” would be one. (An autological one, even.)

Higgldypiggldy
jjjdavidson
double-dactylically
started a trend

OTT-followers
indefatigably
hexasyllabicise
Time 'til its end.

I'm amazed.

StratPlayer wrote:
Spoiler:
Wow! I am flattered, humbled, and honored. I love James Burke and Connections!

And did you know that:

1. James Burke was born in Londonderry, Northern Ireland?

2. There have been long disputes and discussion about the town's name, including efforts to formally change its name. Although it's legal name is "Londonderry" it is commonly referred to as simply "Derry".

3. "Derry" is also the name of the fictional town used as the setting for many of the works of Stephen King, including "It", the novel about the title-named clown-monster.

4. "It" is something, of course, that we are all waiting for, because the Alt-Text of the OTC tells us to.

5. While we wait, thanks to the talents of buffygirl, we have become a uniquely-hatted collective, much like The Red Hat Society.

6. The Red Hat Society was founded by Sue Ellen Cooper in Fullerton, California.

7. Fullerton, California is the home of the Fender Guitar company, started by Leo Fender.

8. One of the mopst popular Fender guitars is -- of course, the Stratocaster, used for my avatar.

So, what do you know? I guess there is a connection! :D

I knew it!!

astrocub wrote:
Spoiler:
Exodies wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
Valarya wrote:

And now I've done a spit take...

We've missed an important corollary here - the little trees probably don't know what they are doing.

logical_fallacy.png

Logic. It works, bitches.

Kieryn wrote:
Spoiler:
Sorry, no special updates today, just the latest parse.

Okay, so... here's a vague description of this concept I've been having...

I want to make a video of the passage of the OTC and the OTT in sync. The posts of the OTT will fly-by in 3d and at the same time I want to display the frames of the OTC perhaps also flying by in 3d. I kind of have the mechanics of the structural presentation of this already in place, but I want to show some content of the OTT and it's kind of difficult due to the speed at which it's flying... Already 3 seconds per newpix gives almost a feature-length movie.

Some interesting things like showing posted images would be pretty easy to do, but some highlights of the other art/works and topics would be good too. I'm going to use post popularity by quoting to give me a longlist of content, also I will try to detect verse and other interesting stuff. The sound track will also come from our posted content, though I need to be careful not to include copyrighted material.

I will ultimately need help from everyone to do some connoisseuring of the content longlist and suggesting of epic/worthy posts or art or content related to OTC that may even be outside of the OTT. I suggest that the community start making much use of the OTWfor this purpose... it's kind of out of date right now, but I would like to be able to use the content on there (particularly the sections under the The One True Thread) as a guide to the highlights of the the OTT. Please include all reference links back to the original posts in the OTT so I can timestamp the content.

This is quite a large undertaking, so don't expect this to be ready overnight. I'm sure I could throw together something really quick that looks kind of cool, but doesn't really capture the essence. The overall aim here is to produce a work of art that is a kind of documentary-style reflection of our experiences. I want it to be meaningful, not just visually cool, and this might mean that I don't produce the final work until until the OTC ends. If the OTC does starts to seem unending or loops (at the moment it seems to me like there is a typical story progression) then I will probably find an appropriate moment to release the work.

All contributors are welcome, feel free to PM me with any suggestions, offers of help, criticisms, words of encouragement, whatever you like. I'll try as best I can to keep everyone updated on my progress with this.

I picture this wonderful idea, in my minds eye, as the OTC coming towards us frame by frame like a 3D star field. While the frames of the OTC move towards us, changing at a fixed point, thus providing the illusion of moving through Time, below, in synchronization would be the OTT scrolling vertically. If I can contribute I would love to! Though it is late and I am ready to coma so I must re-read what it is your require.

Eternal Density wrote:
Spoiler:
Also, a song:

Bong it   #
Gong it   #
Dong it   #
Hats us   #
#         Harder
#         Louder
#         Longer
#         Smarter
Many      #
Thousands #
Our       #
Never     #
#         Newpix
#         Later
#         Wait is
#         Over
Bong it   #
Gong it   #
Dong it   #
Hats us   #
#         Harder
#         Louder
#         Longer
#         Smarter
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Bong it Harder
Gong it Louder
Dong it Longer
Hats us Smarter
Many Newpix
Thousands Later
Our Wait is
Never Over
Bong it Harder
Gong it Louder
Dong it Longer
Hats us Smarter
Many Newpix
Thousands Later
Our Wait is
Never Over

As a huge Daft Punk fan, I must say, this is so wonderfully fantastic!
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri May 24, 2013 5:21 am UTC

Exodies wrote:
Spoiler:
kenmelken wrote:Contemplating whether stealing is wrONG here...

As a former fence-ist, I humbly concede to the victory of the vineyard proponents.

I think I can explain the anomaly of the beginning of the grape vine row - it should have had a tensioning wire fastened to a stake leaning away from the first post but instead has a piece of the cross bar sticking out. Remember that the Frames are not continuous, they don't line up end to end, there are undrawn gaps. If there were undrawn gaps WITHIN Frames and there was one just at the beginning of the vine row, voila, what we get is what we see.

I don't see a problem at all. It fits fine with the previous frame, no gap needed.
Spoiler:
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Fri May 24, 2013 5:24 am UTC

BlueCrab wrote:
Earthling on Mars wrote:
thirds wrote:I say it's a toy helicopter in a bush, but I could be wrONG.

Looks like a tiny lighthouse to me.

Since I'm 3 newpages behind right now I'm sure the object has already identified, but I'm having fun picturing it as one of Don Quixote's windmills...

Ooo you were SO close!

htom

Postby htom » Fri May 24, 2013 5:36 am UTC

The coming hectonewpix is going to be very busy; I'll probably have to do a giant salsa Tuesday and Wednesday (Outsider references.) Now I hear coma calling.

Edit: 28,001 posts in the OTT! 701 pages!
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

xpatiate

Postby xpatiate » Fri May 24, 2013 5:45 am UTC

I thought it was Time for a list of all tools/technologies encountered or mentioned in the OTC - everything that is not a naturally occuring object - in the hope of shedding some light on where or perhaps when we are.

So, things Cueball/Megan have access to or are familiar with:

- castles (or at least castle-shaped things)
- flags
- timber
- ropes
- bucket
- box
- bags
- drinking vessels
- steam bottle (ugh)
- tents
- raft

Also "things from people in the hills", which could be natural or otherwise.

Things created by the Neat River People:

- campsite remains (wood)
- markings on tree (assumed to be intentional, though meaning unknown)
- vineyard trellis

Anything I missed?

The "steam bottle" sounds like the most advanced technology they've mentioned, but we don't really know what it is. Somebody suggested a device for distilling freshwater from urine, which would definitely explain the (ugh). If so that implies glass or plastic.

The bucket and flags could be plastic (given that the flags aren't relying on wind), but could also be constructed from other pre-modern materials. Tents and drinking vessels could be canvas.

Glass bottles, flags, tents and vineyards have all been around for a long time. So basically, seems to me they could be having this adventure at any time since the invention of castles. Does that help?

Edit: forgot the trebuchet. Not that that really narrows it down much.
Last edited by xpatiate on Fri May 24, 2013 10:29 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”