1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

trolleypup

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby trolleypup » Sat May 25, 2013 9:33 pm UTC

Exodies wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:I find double posts to be slightly annoying

I just can't see this point of view at all. How does it work? Are you annoyed at the people who could have broken the double by interjecting but didn't or are you annoyed that someone had two things to say without waiting for a reaction to the first?
Or does it go:
Mother of Christ! I've already read a post from that asshole and now the bastard wants me to read another. Where in sodomy do these creeps come from?

"Slightly annoying", not, 'I need to go get my blood pressure meds right now!'

I find it pleasant when someone completes their speaking in one message, just as I enjoy a well done multiquote. Two or more single messages in a row are less pleasing, especially if they are close in time and content. If a forum member habitually double (or more) posts when the prevailing community habit is single multiquotes, that can be moderately annoying...but the only place I go where that happens I am a moderator, so I can (as the internal policy is) merely merge the posts without further comment.

Certainly, a double post from time to time is a really small thing, and getting upset about different styles of posting is not something I'm going to spend my time and energy on (much). I would prefer that a member double post from time to time rather than refrain from posting due to possible repercussions (minor as they may be).

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat May 25, 2013 9:34 pm UTC

mscha wrote:FightONG...
Spoiler:

I wonder if they're gonna split up: Megan back to the sea, Cueball along the river and into the mountains. And in that case, who are we going to follow?
Naah. Megan will decide, Cueball will just follow.

I don't know, Cueball seems to have lost his sense of adventure in the last couple of newpix. I say Megan should ditch him by the food and go hang out with LaPetite instead.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sat May 25, 2013 9:46 pm UTC

My name comes from a computer program which executed for the first and only time in 1971. It was designed to make new words. Written in Algol 60, it ran on an ICT 4130. I've been using it ever since.

The avatar was inspired by Sciscitor's. I have some more like it, I may cycle them some day.
Last edited by Exodies on Sat May 25, 2013 9:48 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Sat May 25, 2013 9:46 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
Spoiler:

I wonder if they're gonna split up: Megan back to the sea, Cueball along the river and into the mountains. And in that case, who are we going to follow?

I don't know, Cueball seems to have lost his sense of adventure in the last couple of newpix. I say Megan should ditch him by the food and go hang out with LaPetite instead.
I dunno about that. LaPetite does not appear to have been curious/advenmturous enough to follow them, so I have no reason to beleive that she would be more so than Cueball.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat May 25, 2013 9:50 pm UTC

Oh, I should clarify: I think hanging out with LaPetite would be more interesting than hanging out with a complaining Cueball.
Perhaps there would not be journeying, but there may be more sandcastling, which I do miss. Image
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mikrit

Postby mikrit » Sat May 25, 2013 9:54 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:I'm interested in the background of some of your "handles".

Mine is just the three first letters of my first name, followed by the three first letters of my family name. Not too clever, but it happens to be a word too; it would be "micrite" in English (MICRocrystalline calcITE). Now that I think about it, it would be a good troll name in a Discworld book.
Hatted and wimpled by ergman.
Dubbed "First and Eldest of Ottificators" by svenman.
Febrion wrote: "etc" is latin for "this would look better with more examples, but I can't think of any".

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Sat May 25, 2013 9:58 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Oh, I should clarify: I think hanging out with LaPetite would be more interesting than hanging out with a complaining Cueball.
Perhaps there would not be journeying, but there may be more sandcastling, which I do miss. Image

The exploring is interesting, but I wish it was intercut with other action. More sandcastling! And more trebuchets!
────────────────
My username is a pseudonym I've used in various online forums (mostly technical support forums, many of them long gone) for over a decade. It's very loosely related to both my mundane name and my SCA name; the "jjj" was to keep it just odd enough to be unique. I occasionally sign forum posts "Jay," even though that's a pseudonym as well; I answer to "Jay" if you feel silly typing "jjj". I even register as "Jay Davidson" when registration requires a human name besides the username. Truly, the double-dactyl meter was a happy accident.
Last edited by jjjdavidson on Sat May 25, 2013 9:59 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

rvloon

Postby rvloon » Sat May 25, 2013 9:59 pm UTC

PhoenixRising wrote:Image

Back to the present after a speed-mini-Blitz. I give it all of 3 NP before I'm hopelessly behind again. Here's hoping I'm wrong!

@rvloon re: questing
rvloon wrote:FTFY. But that may have been done before, I am about 40 pages behind.

Ronald

Have you... read it all? :shock:

ucim, we have another BlitzGirl the Next!

I am now on 681 and 711 is already up, but sometimes the mood strikes me and I saw that my Molpy song (hymn if you're that way inclined) has been picked up and liked, apparently. For some reason, the posts I put more time and effort in, seem to be less quoted than the ones I just throw out on a spur of the moment. So maybe I shouldn't over think, or just think Seaish.

I skim all of it, I do not really read or try to comprehend all of it.

Cheers,

Ronald
Spoiler:
I followed Time until The End and I cannot even buy a chirping T-shirt.

ergman

Postby ergman » Sat May 25, 2013 10:07 pm UTC

there certainly seems to be an argument conflict of opinions incoming. And we are in the process of an argument conflict of opinions about double posting.
ITS ALL RELATED

I wonder if we're meant to make their decision. I am not sure which direction I would prefer. If they follow Cueball, there would probably be exploration of the mountains, establishing a house nearby, and probably learning more about the people who lived there. But then we would never learn the truth about the seaLarge, and if it keeps rising it could ruin their place near the vineyard! cueball's lack of curiosity to the sea has me leaning a little towards the global warmists. his attitude could be their downfall!
~mad hypothesizin over~

Edited because someone started arguing with me :P in all seriousness though, I'm just joking around as always.
Last edited by ergman on Sat May 25, 2013 10:56 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Sat May 25, 2013 10:08 pm UTC

YESWECANDONG

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat May 25, 2013 10:13 pm UTC

Sure we can! We can answer any question at all!

Q: What's that little moving spot in the grass called?
A: A molpy!

Whether or not we are supplying accurate answers remains to be seen...
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

AnotherKevin

Postby AnotherKevin » Sat May 25, 2013 10:18 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Sure we can! We can answer any question at all!

Q: What's that little moving spot in the grass called?
A: A molpy!

Whether or not we are supplying accurate answers remains to be seen...

Of course it's called a molpy! That's what we call it.

So that answer, at least, is accurate.
All the rivers run into the sea, yet the sea is not full.
Unto the place from whence the rivers come, thither they return again.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat May 25, 2013 10:24 pm UTC

I'm interested to see Megan's response. Kinda hope she kicks him in the head again.

What happened to "that's what the first part of understanding everything looks like," Cueball?
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Sat May 25, 2013 10:25 pm UTC

My username refers to the cellular automaton rule of the same name. It is a way to demonstrate that simple rules can generate complex results, which is encouraging to a simple mind like mine.

Spoilered for lengthy exposition:
Spoiler:
Rule110 is a set of rules for a nearest-neighbor one-dimensional two-state cellular automaton. You can visualize this as a long (or infinite) row of positions or cells, each row of which is either black or white (or 1 or 0, a or b, or any other set of two states). At each iteration of the automaton, each cell simultaneously updates its state based on its previous state and on the states of its closest neighbor cells to the left and right.

The number "110" both indexes the ruleset within a set of 256 similar rule sets, and defines the individual rules in the set in an encoded way. Stephen Wolfram invented the numbering and was the first to extensively and systematically investigate the properties of all the cellular automaton rules of that type. One way of stating rule 110 is:
- If a cell and the cell to its right are both white, the cell remains white.
- If a cell and both its neighbors are all black, the cell turns white.
- In any other case, the cell turns or remains black.
This rule sounds too simple to do much of anything. But it turns out that the rule 110 cellular automaton has a strong tendency to spontaneously generate complex behavior. For example, if the starting state of the automaton is all white except for a single black cell, it takes several thousand iterations for the automaton to evolve into a uniform (and itself rather complex) repeating pattern. Furthermore, it's been proven (by one Matthew Cook) that the rule 110 cellular automaton is computationally universal, which means that in principle it can replicate any kind of computation by any type of computing machine.

The rows-of-rocks computer in xkcd 505, "A Bunch of Rocks", is somewhat similar in concept. It is also a one-dimensional two-state cellular automaton (a row of rocks and empty spaces), that is also known to be computationally universal, and it works on nearly as simple rules. Hence, it, like the rule 110 cellular automaton, is hypothetically capable of running the entire universe. But the rock computer's rules are of a somewhat different type, where the rocks and spaces of the new row are determined by the state (rock or no rock) of the previous row at the narrator-operator's position and a state remembered by the operator, rather than by the state of the rock and its nearest neighbors.
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sat May 25, 2013 10:29 pm UTC

ergman wrote:there certainly seems to be an argument incoming. And we are in the process of an argument about double posting.
ITS ALL RELATED

No, there's no argument here, or in the OTC. There are different opinions in both places, but we've barely even had debate, never mind argument. I'd much rather have the discussion, here and in the comic. I hate it when I find out that something I've been doing, and thought was liked, was actually someone thinking they didn't want to mention that they didn't like it. You say what you like, I'll say what I like. If we agree, that's great, but if we don't, then we can, through further discussion, figure out a reasonable course. Maybe we both change a little, maybe we take turns. Depends on a lot of things. If we're picking a restaurant, I'm going to be quite unwilling to go for Chinese, as I'm horribly allergic to it. But, if you just say that you're fine with Mexican, and you secretly hate it, but don't want to tell me that, then you're going to resent my choice, and we might both miss out on a pleasant dinner at that new Italian place. And, if I never told you that I don't want Chinese because I'm allergic, then I've no reason to complain when you keep suggesting it. Discussion is good, and doesn't have to lead to argument, even when it doesn't lead to agreement.
So, Megan, speak up. What do you want, and why?
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sat May 25, 2013 10:48 pm UTC

spamjam wrote:YESWECANDONG

I wonder if Cueball knows what "understand" means. He acts as though it means "see".

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Sat May 25, 2013 10:57 pm UTC

Remember, the sea does whatever it wants to do.
You can't possibly understand completely, at least, something that has no reason to be.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat May 25, 2013 11:02 pm UTC

ONGbelievable:

Megan is clearly my soul sister.
BlitzGirl wrote:Sure we can! We can answer any question at all!
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

unreal37

Postby unreal37 » Sat May 25, 2013 11:10 pm UTC

We're up to 1600 newpix by the way.

It seems we've stopped speculating when it's going to end. Is Randall going to keep this going for years? Or is there a significant date or frame number he is planning to stop on? What is the current state of the bets on this?

I had a strange thought today. What would happen if it just ended? Suddenly. "The End". Unlike a two hour movie, or a 30 hour book, even a once per week TV series, so many people have spent countless hours (14,000 posts?) every day, analyzing a comic to a pixel level. Inventing names for things that aren't there - molpy's. Speculated to infinity about where this story is going, what does Time mean, and why are we waiting for it. If it ended badly - without significant explanation of what it all means - what would happen? How deeply unsatisfying would that be?

(Heresy).

Anyways, just thinking out loud. Glad to see so much conversation between Cuegan in the recent few OTCs.

ggh

Postby ggh » Sat May 25, 2013 11:12 pm UTC

I'm on the dangerous ground of blindposting, but I want to "citation-needed" a few things:
HAL9000 wrote:They definitely have learned a lot. This is one of Cueball's first nonclueless statements.

We are always making fun of Cueball, but I can't see that he's any more clueless or clumsy than Megan. By my count, Cue has done 4 clumsy things to Megan's 5. He has shown initiative only twice, compared to her 3 times, and she leads him in cool points (like the trebuchet) 3 to 2, but he has said insightful things 3 times to her once. I think they are equals in this venture.
On the other hand, it is fun to tease him, so carry on. :)
charlie_grumbles wrote:On NP703
charlie_grumbles wrote:A dark, moonless, night with no light pollution is about 7% light or around RGB#181818.

Egad. I just realized I mis-stated that. The tool I was using gives values in decimal. The proper rgb (hex) value is #121212.

How many of you actually care? Ah well. Archaeologists might someday look here.

We have to be careful about the use of our tools. (leaving an opening for Kazza3) ((again))(((recursively)))

I'm struggling to accept this. But maybe I'm just not understanding what you mean. 7% of what?

ETA: ggh is, as you would guess, my initials, but as I go by my initials, G.G., it's just pretty much my name.
Last edited by ggh on Sat May 25, 2013 11:16 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat May 25, 2013 11:13 pm UTC

unreal37 wrote:<snip> I had a strange thought today. What would happen if it just ended? Suddenly. "The End". Unlike a two hour movie, or a 30 hour book, even a once per week TV series, so many people have spent countless hours (14,000 posts?) every day, analyzing a comic to a pixel level. Inventing names for things that aren't there - molpy's. Speculated to infinity about where this story is going, what does Time mean, and why are we waiting for it. If it ended badly - without significant explanation of what it all means - what would happen? How deeply unsatisfying would that be?

Luckily, I have already watched the series LOST, so I am prepared for this eventuality.

But I have faith GLR will come up with something more satisfying than that.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sat May 25, 2013 11:16 pm UTC

Miniketchup because routers break occasionally.
azule wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
Spoiler:
azule wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:@azule: how do javascript???

This seems really cool! I say "seems" because I have almost no clue as to how this is implemented (where do I put this block o' code?). Is anyone willing/able to explain how I can put it into use? If it's any help, I'm on a MacBook running OS X 10.6.8, and my default browser is Chrome (though I also have Firefox and Safari if it's easier to use on those browsers).
Alright, two ways to do this. After loading ott2.svg:
  1. Copy the block-o-code and paste it into the address bar, press enter, and wait.
  2. Save the block-o-code into a bookmark. [Make a new bookmark, paste into location field, give it a name.] Press bookmark. (This activates code the same as 1., but is conveniently ready for next load.)
When the cursor becomes a hand when over nodes, the script is ready. Press and have fun.
One more step if you've got the code editing skills:
    3.  This code can be set up at the bottom of the svg file (with a few changes) and then its ready when the svg loads. Ask and I can give you the real details on that.
I've tried this in Firefox and Chrome.

Do I paste the code after "https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23263053/ott2.svg," or does it replace the address? Whenever I try adding it to the end, I get a dropbox 404 error page, and when I replace the address, it interprets it as a google search query and hands me a 414 error for it being too long.

It would be the second method you said. Replacing the address. I think what happens on Chrome is the "javascript:" part doesn't paste, so just type it in then paste the code. That should do the trick.

Thanks! This is really cool!
Also:
Spoiler:
azule wrote:
Sciscitor wrote:Mine is latin and I used it some times before. It means "I ask, inquire, question, examine, consult, interrogate" and I think it reflects on my general curious approach to living.
Cool meaning. I was thinking scissor, but more like the PKMN Scizor (which I nicknamed something like Sciscor). :)

And, of course, I read that in my head as "the Pikmin."

Last and probably least:
Double-posts and alignments:
Spoiler:
Exodies wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:I find double posts to be slightly annoying

I just can't see this point of view at all. How does it work? Are you annoyed at the people who could have broken the double by interjecting but didn't or are you annoyed that someone had two things to say without waiting for a reaction to the first?
Or does it go:
Mother of Christ! I've already read a post from that asshole and now the bastard wants me to read another. Where in sodomy do these creeps come from?

To me, it's annoying in the same way that jaywalkers are annoying: it's not harmful, but comes across as a casual disregard for the rules. Let's chalk it up to my being Lawful Neutral and leave it at that.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sat May 25, 2013 11:19 pm UTC

ggh wrote:I'm on the dangerous ground of blindposting, but I want to "citation-needed" a few things:
HAL9000 wrote:They definitely have learned a lot. This is one of Cueball's first nonclueless statements.

We are always making fun of Cueball, but I can't see that he's any more clueless or clumsy than Megan. By my count, Cue has done 4 clumsy things to Megan's 5. He has shown initiative only twice, compared to her 3 times, and she leads him in cool points (like the trebuchet) 3 to 2, but he has said insightful things 3 times to her once. I think they are equals in this venture.
On the other hand, it is fun to tease him, so carry on. :)
charlie_grumbles wrote:A dark, moonless, night with no light pollution is about 7% light or around RGB#181818.

Egad. I just realized I mis-stated that. The tool I was using gives values in decimal. The proper rgb (hex) value is #121212.

We have to be careful about the use of our tools. (leaving an opening for Kazza3) ((again))(((recursively)))

I'm struggling to accept this. But maybe I'm just not understanding what you mean. 7% of what?

ETA: ggh is, as you would guess, my initials, but as I go by my initials, G.G., it's just pretty much my name.

7% of 256

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sat May 25, 2013 11:22 pm UTC

unreal37 wrote:I had a strange thought today. What would happen if it just ended? Suddenly. "The End". Unlike a two hour movie, or a 30 hour book, even a once per week TV series, so many people have spent countless hours (14,000 posts?) every day, analyzing a comic to a pixel level. Inventing names for things that aren't there - molpy's. Speculated to infinity about where this story is going, what does Time mean, and why are we waiting for it. If it ended badly - without significant explanation of what it all means - what would happen? How deeply unsatisfying would that be?

I'd say this captures the gist of what my reaction would be:
Spoiler:
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Sat May 25, 2013 11:30 pm UTC

Just remembered this talk Randall gave, and that someone asked him about animation, to which he kind of said he would never really do it. Does the OTC count?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=zJOS0sV2a24#t=1347s
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat May 25, 2013 11:32 pm UTC

Image Hal - does the head exploding represent yourself or what you would be inflicting upon others? *edges away slowly*

Even if Time ends tomorrow, I will have been happy sharing this grand journey with all of you. Image
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sat May 25, 2013 11:40 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Image Hal - does the head exploding represent yourself or what you would be inflicting upon others? *edges away slowly*

You'd better hope you don't have to find out... :twisted:

BlitzGirl wrote:Even if Time ends tomorrow, I will have been happy sharing this grand journey with all of you. Image

awwww me too!

ggh

Postby ggh » Sat May 25, 2013 11:59 pm UTC

Exodies wrote:
ggh wrote:

7% of 256

256 molpylumens?
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sun May 26, 2013 12:01 am UTC

ggh wrote:

Sigh. I think I misinterpreted something I read. I was thinking 7% (of 100) on the HSB scale 0 hue, 0 saturation, 7% brightness.

I leapt to conclusions from reading http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sky_brightness and the fact that observers with good vision, on the darkest of nights can see mag 7 (approx) stars.

So, perhaps, my current sig is all too true. Sorry if I misled you. Gilda Radner said it best.

edit: ggh, thanks for pushing me to go back to look at it again.
Last edited by charlie_grumbles on Sun May 26, 2013 12:10 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun May 26, 2013 12:10 am UTC

LONGSHOREMAN...

-- posted by newpixbot
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

ggh

Postby ggh » Sun May 26, 2013 12:10 am UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
ggh wrote:

Sigh. I think I misinterpreted something I read. I was thinking 7% (of 100) on the HSB scale 0 hue, 0 saturation, 7% brightness.

I leapt to conclusions from reading http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sky_brightness and the fact that observers with good vision, on the darkest of nights can see mag 7 (approx) stars.

So, perhaps, my current sig is all too true. Sorry if I misled you. Gilda Radner said it best.

Wow - talk about two wrongs making a right!
I forgot that Gilda Radner used to say "Nevermind" as a catchphrase, so I googled her quotes, and the first one I saw was:
Gilda Radner wrote:I wanted a perfect ending. Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next.
Delicious Ambiguity.

Yep, it's all connected.

ETA: woohoo! - 10000000th post!
Last edited by ggh on Sun May 26, 2013 3:47 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Agatha the Awesomeful

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun May 26, 2013 12:11 am UTC

Hm, my computer clock must be a minuteH slow, got preview-ninja'd by the newpixbot...

And good, more Time to enjoy one another's company - both in the OTC and the OTT!
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

jjjdavidson

Postby jjjdavidson » Sun May 26, 2013 12:35 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
unreal37 wrote:<snip> I had a strange thought today. What would happen if it just ended? Suddenly. "The End". Unlike a two hour movie, or a 30 hour book, even a once per week TV series, so many people have spent countless hours (14,000 posts?) every day, analyzing a comic to a pixel level. Inventing names for things that aren't there - molpy's. Speculated to infinity about where this story is going, what does Time mean, and why are we waiting for it. If it ended badly - without significant explanation of what it all means - what would happen? How deeply unsatisfying would that be?

Luckily, I have already watched the series LOST, so I am prepared for this eventuality.

But I have faith GLR will come up with something more satisfying than that.

I hope so. Gordon Dickson started this great series of stories he called the Childe Cycle, but then wandered off into goofy sword-and-sorcery stuff and died before he wrote the last book.

Worse, for me: Decades back Dragon magazine ran a comic called Wormy, by a cartoonist named Dave Trampier (known as Tramp). Wormy was a long-story comic with a weird, intricate, and fascinating plot, dozens of unique characters, and, as it happens, a miniature castle being built by trolls. But the strip just stopped appearing in mid-story, and the editors of Dragon wrote that Tramp had dropped out of contact with no explanation, without even accepting the last payments due him (leading Phil Foglio to say, “When an artist’s checks are returned uncashed, he is presumed dead”). Years later Tramp turned up as a cab driver in Illinois, but he no longer has anything to do with art, and Wormy shall forever remain unfinished.

And then there's Phil Foglio himself, not exactly a man of 25 any more either. I've got no particular reason to worry about his health, but the Girl Genius story could easily run on for years more, and I live in dread he'll kick the bucket before he wraps up all the key threads.
Don't wait for me.
He won! He won! He won!

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Sun May 26, 2013 12:39 am UTC

unreal37 wrote:We're up to 1600 newpix by the way.

It seems we've stopped speculating when it's going to end. Is Randall going to keep this going for years? Or is there a significant date or frame number he is planning to stop on? What is the current state of the bets on this?

I had a strange thought today. What would happen if it just ended? Suddenly. "The End". Unlike a two hour movie, or a 30 hour book, even a once per week TV series, so many people have spent countless hours (14,000 posts?) every day, analyzing a comic to a pixel level. Inventing names for things that aren't there - molpy's. Speculated to infinity about where this story is going, what does Time mean, and why are we waiting for it. If it ended badly - without significant explanation of what it all means - what would happen? How deeply unsatisfying would that be?

(Heresy).

Anyways, just thinking out loud. Glad to see so much conversation between Cuegan in the recent few OTCs.

Did anyone else play the game The Longest Journey, and then the sequel Dreamfall? Dreamfall ended with lots of plot holes remaining wide open and in the last 5 minutes of the game opened lots more. Then for years it seemed like no sequel was going to be made... it was... kind of devastating when we were so invested in the plot and characters only to find you will never really know the answers. As it turns out now, there is another sequel finally in development, but at this point my expectancy and investment has faded.

Time fades all things, good or bad. I am presently invested in a story and a community and it makes me feel good. But it is an important lesson to remember that nothing in the real world other than stories have a true end. It never comes. Things fade in and fade out and that's all there is. Love whatever-it-is when it is there, and share that with someone. That's what we are all doing here. That is what this is about.

On topic: Megan's hypothesis "We can answer any question" is an interesting one. I think in the outside, we kind of know that both philosophically and scientifically this is a false hypothesis; there are questions that cannot be answered. Does this highlight Megan's naivety? Cueball has frequently been portrayed as the naive one, but this comment by Megan I think highlights the most important lesson so far for both us and Cuegan. Until now, most of the comic had seemed kind of random to me. I knew that is wasn't because obviously it has been bestowed to us by GLR himself. But now I am really starting to feel inklings of his message here. I still question whether when he started having them make sandcastles he knew what he was going to say. I have a suspicion that the sandcastle era was a way for him to run the experiment, measure the reception/reaction and then formulate a story that conveys a more meaningful message to us.

Part of me longs for the time when Randall can talk openly about the whole thing, and we will have an idea about what he was really thinking as he created it. But that is also a time when this community will most likely have begun to fade and so I also dread that time. I fall back on my One True Directive: Love and share.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Sun May 26, 2013 12:44 am UTC

*sneaks into deserted barn, starts whispering* OK, I think I can hide from the Outside in here for a few minutes.x Still behind, but here's a little dab of ketchup:

HAL9000 wrote:We all get cake.
Spoiler:

On a different note, does it seem to anyone else that the ground Cueball and Megan are currently walking on/about to walk over is unnaturally flat? The patch of ground immediately in front of Cueball (he's in the act of stepping onto it) drops off on the other side at a rather sharp angle (would be a perfect 90º drop if it weren't for a slightly-off-from-black pixel at the apex of the corner), and the two small grassless patches near/underneath them are about as level as the sea was back when they were building sandcastles (solid black, with a single row of grayish pixels across all or almost all of the top).

Yay, cake for everyone!

I hadn't noticed those flat places, but you're right. A pathway? A stream? Did anyone figure out what they were?

yappobiscuits wrote:Well I don't know about guitar raptors, but guitar dinosaurs generally... Finnish children's heavy metal dinosaurs, no less...
Alas, those of us in the U.S. can't enjoy the Finnish children's heavy metal dinosaurs. :(

I cheated and looked at the book of aubronwood instead of waiting to get there in the thread, and when I saw the vine-covered fence I immediately recognized them as grapevines (which are indeed trellised that way), so it was really interesting to read the thread as the mystery was revealed more slowly to those of you reading in the past present. I just had one thing to add. There was a suggestion that the fruit was olives rather than grapes; however, not only do olives grow on trees, they are also inedible when first picked. It's only after they've soaked in brine that they become edible. Which makes you wonder about the first people to find olives. What led them to think, "Gee, these are horrible, but I bet they'd be great if we soaked them in brine for several months!"?

kenmelken wrote:
Spoiler:
Kay. I just finished ketchuping, and now need to go again (I'm suddenly busier on the [heresy] Outside [/heresy] because I'm ENGAGED!!!), but before I leave, I want to bring up a duty we've been neglecting, namely, the upkeep of the Wiki (OTW) and the delineation of periods. That last official "period" agreed upon was "Cueball's Quest," and since then we've had at least another journey period, a wow boabab period, and a vineyard period. I'm sure some you smarties can break those down exactly into where they land by newpix numbers.

However, while we're on the topic of how we break down eons, eras, and periods, I'd like to suggest a bit of a radical proposal, namely, the breaking down of what is currently known as the "Journey Era" (already within the same-titled "Journey Eon1") into smaller eras. In the Sandcastle Eon, there were 5 eras, the longest comprised of 296 newpix. So far, this "Journey Era" has been comprised of over 600, even though there are some very clear larger transition points. For example, the first 3 periods they are walking along the sea shore, then the next four alongside the river, then they branch off into the hills and forests for a time. That wonderful map actually shows in brilliant visualization where some natural dividing points for these eras might be, all of them within the larger scope of the Journey EON.

Well, like I said, I need to go again. But, uh... talk about that and hopefully you brilliant folk can come to some conclusions on the matter.

Also, I think because it is a harder verse to adapt, nobody has enough guts to adapt that fourth Jabber-stanza. Someone needs to be brave.

Peace.

P.S. I've been in a movie and written 2 major papers, one scientific, one historical.

Congratulations on the engagement! As far as the era/eons/etc, and definitions, for that matter, on the WIki, I feel badly that I haven't contributed at all to the Wiki. I hope to have a little more time after the next few NewPix to do something for the OTT.

As far as contributions outside the thread, I was onscreen (as a zombie) for a teeny tiny fraction of an newpix, and I published my thesis on sea otter vocal behavior that, as far as I know, no one has ever read. So, useful applications are definitely more, well, useful.

OK, I hear the Outside getting closer and closer. Time to run again, but I hope to be back soon!

xYes, these last couple of posts have been influences by memories of the zombie movie I was in.

edited to avoid breaking the forum.

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Sun May 26, 2013 12:48 am UTC

unreal37 wrote:We're up to 1600 newpix by the way.

I had a strange thought today. What would happen if it just ended? Suddenly.
[snip]

Speculating when it is going to end can get you in trouble with the various churches especially the loopists.

I estimated in this post http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043&p=3357848#p3357848 that the thread would end at about 3500-4000 newpix. My estimate was based on Hollywood movie three act structure, because that gave me an easy way to calculate length. Shakespeare used five acts and htom proposed that as the structure in http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043&p=3359390&hilit=Five+act#p3359390. If I understand him right, he judged the OTC to be at the end of the second act, and without calculating it out, I think it would be in the same range.

Of course this doesn't answer questions like why the sea is rising, who is LaPetite and what is her purpose, or clarify the people up river or in the hills or anything else.

My user name is just my initials with the letters cp for content provider appended. There was a time on the web when it was fashionable to believe that content needed to be provided by people of high creativity and the rest of the web would bow down and shower them with money. Or maybe that was just me.
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun May 26, 2013 12:54 am UTC

Kieryn wrote:Just remembered this talk Randall gave, and that someone asked him about animation, to which he kind of said he would never really do it. Does the OTC count?

How cool would it be if someone would print out all Time-frames and hang those in a T(/subway/tube/metro) tunnel, in the way Randall describes?
(Or maybe this is that project He describes, although, of course, we've long passed 300 frames.)

Edit: about the OTC... Megan gave in to Cueball. I did not see that coming...
In any case, the past 17 newpix have had far more dialogue than we've ever had in such a short period, if I'm not mistaken.
Last edited by mscha on Sun May 26, 2013 12:59 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Platonix

Postby Platonix » Sun May 26, 2013 12:58 am UTC

mscha wrote:
Kieryn wrote:Just remembered this talk Randall gave, and that someone asked him about animation, to which he kind of said he would never really do it. Does the OTC count?

How cool would it be if someone would print out all Time-frames and hang those in a T(/subway/tube/metro) tunnel, in the way Randall describes?
(Or maybe this is that project He describes, although, of course, we've long passed 300 frames.)

...eeehhh...not really that cool. Animation of the OTC, such as in the Book of Aubron, stopped being enticing when dialogue in the OTC became a thing. Something similar but wordless, though, OMRyes.

[edit] And apparently I'm some combination of a religious leader and a customer in a hat shop. I've lost track.
Last edited by Platonix on Sun May 26, 2013 12:59 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"I hate quotations. Tell me what you know."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

jjjdavidson

Postby jjjdavidson » Sun May 26, 2013 12:59 am UTC

Kieryn wrote:Part of me longs for the time when Randall can talk openly about the whole thing, and we will have an idea about what he was really thinking as he created it. But that is also a time when this community will most likely have begun to fade and so I also dread that time. I fall back on my One True Directive: Love and share.

Don't count on Randall ever saying a word about Time. Remember, this is a man for whom two blag posts in a month represents runaway loquaciousness. And it's been over 7 weeks since the Externalities hashing contest ended, and as far as I know Randall has not yet revealed what his source string for the hash-breaking competition was.
Don't wait for me.
He won! He won! He won!

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sun May 26, 2013 1:01 am UTC

Trying out this multiple quote thingy to see how it works.

jjjdavidson wrote:<snip>

Worse, for me: Decades back Dragon magazine ran a comic called Wormy, by a cartoonist named Dave Trampier (known as Tramp). Wormy was a long-story comic with a weird, intricate, and fascinating plot, dozens of unique characters, and, as it happens, a miniature castle being built by trolls. But the strip just stopped appearing in mid-story, and the editors of Dragon wrote that Tramp had dropped out of contact with no explanation, without even accepting the last payments due him (leading Phil Foglio to say, “When an artist’s checks are returned uncashed, he is presumed dead”). Years later Tramp turned up as a cab driver in Illinois, but he no longer has anything to do with art, and Wormy shall forever remain unfinished.

And then there's Phil Foglio himself, not exactly a man of 25 any more either. I've got no particular reason to worry about his health, but the Girl Genius story could easily run on for years more, and I live in dread he'll kick the bucket before he wraps up all the key threads.

On the other hand there was Dune. When did you finally give up on it?

Kieryn wrote:On topic: Megan's hypothesis "We can answer any question" is an interesting one. I think in the outside, we kind of know that both philosophically and scientifically this is a false hypothesis; there are questions that cannot be answered. Does this highlight Megan's naivety?

Or maybe she was thinking of what-if.xkcd on Tuesdays.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”