1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

HAL9000
Not Red

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HAL9000 » Tue May 28, 2013 3:15 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:And thanks for "The Most Wonderful Thread on the Net". That song, along with BlitzGirl's "Don't Worry, Feed Squirpys" (long since sigged), is just the light note we need around here when it gets too serious.

And the Boom De Yadas, too. Don't forget those. Blitzgirl just linked to her first one near the bottom of the last page, and rereading it made me feel pretty good about myself. And it was the one that doesn't mention me.
jjjdavidson wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:* Barring the mutually compatible possibilities of 1. significant medical breakthroughs; 2. the OTC continuing to run that long; 3. HAL9000 being rescued from Jupiter orbit before his power supplies fail completely.

If the OTC does continue after our deaths, who will be posting in it? Some of us have proven the ability to hold stable relationships long enough to Stockholm Syndrome someone into marrying them, so perhaps our children? It would be strange if a semi-serious quasi-religion arose around this thread as a result of its being passed down between generations.
Also, I certainly hope my batteries keep their charge for a while (maybe there's some way to draw power from this monolith?). Add a few hundred years onto my age, and I'd be even more curmudgeonly than I am now!

I, for one, plan to write my various internet accounts into my will, for my children to inherit as valuable (Hah!) intellectual properties. So a cip or two from now, my great-grandchildren will be looking at your shotgun going, "Where do the batteries go? And does it have wireless?"

I'm less concerned by the fact that kids might one day be wondering if our firearms had wireless capabilities than I am by the concept of a shotgun that needs wires, actually.
Giving online accounts that aren't explicitly linked to you in particular (i.e. forums, anonymous social media sites, etc.) is an interesting idea. There would be a certain appeal to being able to say "... as my father, who used this account before he passed it down to me, once said..."
I may do that as well, but I haven't put much thought into my will yet, as I don't have much intent on dying anytime soon (nor do I have much that is legitimately owned by me, and not my parents or family as a whole).
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

edo

Postby edo » Tue May 28, 2013 3:17 am UTC

I was completely unable to get the image from xkcd. (I think the redirect is broken since I can see the image here)

I predict the molpy follows her again.

Hey, I haven't noticed if this has come up: should we be trying to nominate Randall/the OTC for some awards?
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Tue May 28, 2013 3:28 am UTC

AK49BWL wrote:Hey guys. I'm lost back at NewPage 590.. Somebody posted a trebuchet simulator and I lost over 96 Newpix to that ...I'm waaaaaaaaaaaay behind but I'm Blitzing1 as fast as I can!! In the meantime, I present this useless and way-too-long video of my TimeWasting. Only after which I downloaded a copy and modified it to overly insane specifications and found two hidden maps as well as added a few of my own. Yeh whatever lol.

Spoiler:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2_HUIQK-Vk

1: or should that be "Waiting for It"?

I very much enjoy when things go "kablooey!" :)

jjjdavidson wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:The narrative flow of the OTT is absurdly knotted and tangled. There's a PhD thesis in here for some sociology major, I'm guessing.

That's a really interesting idea. Communication is very different in an environment such as this where every remark is logged permanently and can, in theory, be responded to. Nothing is truly forgotten. Definitely something worth studying, and this thread is a good place to look, really. We don't have a single-minded purpose (e.g. count to a million), but we also aren't completely scatterbrained (unlike most general threads), and the forum threads that grow to be hundreds of pages almost always fall into one of those categories.

I was thinking about this, as well, earlier today. It's at least theoretically possible that this entire thread will still be available on the internet an Outside century from now. But all the original posters on the OTT will be long dead.* What is someone a cip from now going to think of the community we formed here over these months of Waiting?

* Barring the mutually compatible possibilities of 1. significant medical breakthroughs; 2. the OTC continuing to run that long; 3. HAL9000 being rescued from Jupiter orbit before his power supplies fail completely.

I imagine they'll think that we were all very much a strange bunch. Or some strange cult. Or both.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Tue May 28, 2013 3:28 am UTC

edo wrote:I was completely unable to get the image from xkcd. (I think the redirect is broken since I can see the image here)

I predict the molpy follows her again.

Hey, I haven't noticed if this has come up: should we be trying to nominate Randall/the OTC for some awards?

Knowing Randall, he won't ever discuss "Time" with anyone at all, regardless of how many awards we throw at him. Remember, this is a guy who's so quiet online that a single blog update is a flurry of activity from him.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

xpatiate

Postby xpatiate » Tue May 28, 2013 3:29 am UTC

partingLance wrote:(I wonder if the best way to create these things isn't to find, or invent, a suitable six-syllable word, and build around that. Hmmm...).

Haha, I did in fact exactly that - I've been holding onto 'antediluvian' since all the way back in the dawn of double dactyls. But it wasn't until this whole weird Biblical creation allegory thing arose that I found a way to use it.

Now I just need to wait for a narrative progression in the OTC that works for "quasityrannical octogenarians" :)

partingLance wrote:As for seeking higher ground, they are, of course, almost in the mountains: on their way, in other words.

Indeed they are, which I hope will work out well for them, not just snake-wise but in relation to any post-diluvian developments.

partingLance wrote:(Have there been no Lou Reed/Velvet Underground filks in this thread so far? OK, screw geology -- I know what my next time-wasting creative project will be...).

Aargh! Don't make me choose between geology and the Velvet Underground! Can't we have both?

And seeing as we're talking about slime molds, I've been thinking for a while that this OtherComic is of particular relevance to the OTT. Just to be clear, GLR is Megan; we are the ones that look like dog vomit.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Tue May 28, 2013 3:32 am UTC

xpatiate wrote:
partingLance wrote:(I wonder if the best way to create these things isn't to find, or invent, a suitable six-syllable word, and build around that. Hmmm...).

Haha, I did in fact exactly that - I've been holding onto 'antediluvian' since all the way back in the dawn of double dactyls. But it wasn't until this whole weird Biblical creation allegory thing arose that I found a way to use it.

That's very true. I had no idea where I would go with the one I wrote other than that I needed to include "Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer," but then I realized "monomaniacally" is a double-dactyl and the poem wrote itself from there.
xpatiate wrote:Now I just need to wait for a narrative progression in the OTC that works for "quasityrannical octogenarians" :)

Just wait for me to turn eighty and you're good. Should only take about 65 years. :D

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Tue May 28, 2013 3:34 am UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:The narrative flow of the OTT is absurdly knotted and tangled. There's a PhD thesis in here for some sociology major, I'm guessing.

That's a really interesting idea. Communication is very different in an environment such as this where every remark is logged permanently and can, in theory, be responded to. Nothing is truly forgotten. Definitely something worth studying, and this thread is a good place to look, really. We don't have a single-minded purpose (e.g. count to a million), but we also aren't completely scatterbrained (unlike most general threads), and the forum threads that grow to be hundreds of pages almost always fall into one of those categories.

I was thinking about this, as well, earlier today. It's at least theoretically possible that this entire thread will still be available on the internet an Outside century from now. But all the original posters on the OTT will be long dead.* What is someone a cip from now going to think of the community we formed here over these months of Waiting?

* Barring the mutually compatible possibilities of 1. significant medical breakthroughs; 2. the OTC continuing to run that long; 3. HAL9000 being rescued from Jupiter orbit before his power supplies fail completely.

I imagine they'll think that we were all very much a strange bunch. Or some strange cult. Or both.

"Look at this guy - he's contemplating if what he writes will be read in the future!"
"Dude, that's pretty cool heavy. Not the weirdest thing they've done, though."
"Oh, but this next guy, he somehow managed to get our conversation down, word for word!"
"Woaah, that's real whiz!"

People in the future use strange slang. I learned this by using my time machine which is completely not ficticious.

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Tue May 28, 2013 3:35 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:
Spoiler:
I've been thinking about this for weeks.

Imagine Henny Youngman on stage, doing classic stand-up comedy. And the audience never laughs--he's thinking to himself, "I got a bigger reaction from the Mona Lisa." Then suddenly, five or six minutes into his routine, the audience bursts into wild applause─

─at the Robert Goulet number they heard fifteen minutes earlier. And ten minutes or so after that, during a big dance number with thirty beautiful leggy girls in spangly costumes, everybody in the room starts roaring with laughter.

Man, that's what posting in this thread is like.

Sure, there are the "Tom Jones is at the roulette table!" moments when everybody dashes off right away to see, like when BlitzGirl finally reached the present (and Helper and HAL9000 popped up) or Yappo's terrific recording of BlitzGirl's I Love the Thread, but those times just amplify the general effect.

Have you ever heard someone, after a buildup to a gag, say, "Wait for it!" before the punch line? Well, on this thread, it's the comic (not The Comic) who has to "Wait for it." Or any other poster, for that matter─there's no predicting how late a response will come.<snip>

This is absolutely the most brilliant description of this thread. That's exactly what it's like. Thanks for summing it up so perfectly. I look forward to whatever dissertation comes out of this.

And Shanman, don't worry too much about the footnotes. Some peoplei have keys to the standard OTT footnotes in their sigs. These are inspired by the dialogue in the OTC, for instance, that the sea1 is big, the river2 is small, the tree4 is neat, etc. People used those footnotes so often, some people felt it was easier to just standardize themii. But, in the meantime, many people v have just gone crazy with footnotes, making them as silly as possible.A I certainly hope I helped to clear things up.

imshca, for example
1 big
2 small
3 Wait, now these are all out of order.
4 Neat.3
iii Even though standardization is a bad idea.iv
iv Not that that doesn't stop us from trying.
v Myself included
A 404 Footnote not foundB
BOh, here it is!

ETA: Ninja'd by a few people, but my post has silly footnotes, so it's all good.

iishould be iiiiii

nerdsniped

Postby nerdsniped » Tue May 28, 2013 3:37 am UTC

(I've been working on this for a while -- since before the group Jabberwocky poem got going. This one went in a very different direction, so I decided to just post it separately. It's All Related.)

IGNORANCY

'Twas brillig, and the sandy slopes
Did gyre and gimble ('spite lack of waves)
All beachy were the castle-rows
And the molpys outgrabe.

"Beware the Ignorance, Cuegan!
The whys that gnaw, the hows that itch!
Beware the shrug-shrug bird, and shun
The flooded seaside ditch!"

They took dilgunnerangs in hand;
Long time the water's source they sought --
So rested she by the Baobab tree;
He stood awhile in thought.

And, as in endless pix they sought,
The Ignorance, with wormy brain,
Came pressing down upon their thought,
And hid the source of rain.

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The uffish pair pressed on the track!
They forged ahead, to river's head
And went galumphing back.

"And, has thou o'ercame the Ignorance?
Come to my arms, my plucksome pair!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!
He chortled in joyful air."

And the molpys outgrabe.
New to the Time thread? Click here!

"we are dangerously close to answers. Let's hope they lead to more questions..." -- HES

"Expect friskiness." -- keithl

partingLance

Postby partingLance » Tue May 28, 2013 3:37 am UTC

xpatiate wrote:Aargh! Don't make me choose between geology and the Velvet Underground! Can't we have both?

Of course we can have both, it's just that I can't do both at once, being a Lance of very little brain.

Even so, and for what it's worth, I'm about halfway through "I'm Waiting For Cuegan". Wait for it...
StratPlayer wrote:And at this very moment, someone on the Isle of Wight named Bungalo Bill is listening to the 'splat' made from using their family album to squash a beetle, that had ran, helter-skelter, straight for the wild honey pie made by his dear wife Prudence...

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Tue May 28, 2013 3:43 am UTC

nerdsniped wrote:(I've been working on this for a while -- since before the group Jabberwocky poem got going. This one went in a very different direction, so I decided to just post it separately. It's All Related.)
Spoiler:
IGNORANCY

And the molpys outgrabe.

"Beware the Ignorance, Cuegan!
The whys that gnaw, the hows that itch!
Beware the shrug-shrug bird, and shun
The flooded seaside ditch!"

They took dilgunnerangs in hand;
Long time the water's source they sought --
So rested she by the Baobab tree;
He stood awhile in thought.

And, as in endless pix they sought,
The Ignorance, with wormy brain,
Came pressing down upon their thought,
And hid the source of rain.

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The uffish pair pressed on the track!
They forged ahead, to river's head
And went galumphing back.

"And, has thou o'ercame the Ignorance?
Come to my arms, my plucksome pair!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!
He chortled in joyful air."

And the molpys outgrabe.

O frabjous day, indeed! Wonderful!

bmonk
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Postby bmonk » Tue May 28, 2013 3:44 am UTC

xpatiate wrote:

Now I just need to wait for a narrative progression in the OTC that works for "quasityrannical octogenarians" :)

Were I to become pope, you could use "quasityrannical quinquagenarian" as an apt description. Or perhaps "pseudotyrannical", but the q alliteration would be better.

Absolute Absolut
Splashing of mixes
Needs the permission of
Someone adept.
Perhaps a large quorum of
Quasityrannical
Quinquagenarians
Would not be inept.
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Tue May 28, 2013 4:01 am UTC

walkONG back to Cueball

Shanman

Postby Shanman » Tue May 28, 2013 4:03 am UTC

xpatiate wrote:

Wow, you gave me a jump with "quasityrannical octogenarians" - I thought it read "OctoCENTarian "1, which is something that I've been pondering as of late. Seeing as we're discussing "future-times" quite a bit, it's worth asking opinions I suppose: If biological/technological immortality were to come about at some point, do you think we'd end up with quasityrannical octocentenariansb? I'd imagine that could be an issue for future-folk.

1Actually spelled octocentENarians, which unfortunately has 7 syllables
bA ruling class of 800 year olds who were in power when the technology arose.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue May 28, 2013 4:06 am UTC

No sign of our squirpy-squirrel. :(

jjjdavidson wrote:That song, along with BlitzGirl's "Don't Worry, Feed Squirpys" (long since sigged), is just the light note we need around here when it gets too serious.

D'aww. That's 4!
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ergman

Postby ergman » Tue May 28, 2013 4:09 am UTC

[group self indulgence] you know another awesome thing about this thread? There is a huge variety of age groups, varying from high school students to newlyweds to grandparents. It lends itself to a large range of perspectives and things we reference. (I think I have a bob Dylan number of 3, if you relax the qualifications a little) [\group self indulgence]
On that note, I have exams soon, and while I will try to keep up with the thread, I probably won't post much. After, maybe I'll attempt some creative enterprise...
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Tue May 28, 2013 4:09 am UTC

Shanman wrote:
xpatiate wrote:

Wow, you gave me a jump with "quasityrannical octogenarians" - I thought it read "OctoCENTarian "1, which is something that I've been pondering as of late. Seeing as we're discussing "future-times" quite a bit, it's worth asking opinions I suppose: If biological/technological immortality were to come about at some point, do you think we'd end up with quasityrannical octocentenariansb? I'd imagine that could be an issue for future-folk.

The media would certainly be a whole lot less interesting. We'd have the same news pundits every year until someone finally decides to off one of them.

bmonk
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Postby bmonk » Tue May 28, 2013 4:11 am UTC

Do we have a term for a person who is blitzing to ketchup, but also has a current tab open?

Also, it might be helpful to have a term for a person who has blitzed so many pages that he is apt to forget much of the content. A blitzed blitzer?

"Blitzening Blitzener" might be a good first, or second line, to a double dactyl.

Edit: My slower half is rapidly closing on NewPage 666. :evil: :evil: :evil:
Last edited by bmonk on Tue May 28, 2013 4:19 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Tue May 28, 2013 4:15 am UTC

Oh, I do so hope that Megan and Cueball are, once again, reunited safely. Cueball should have gone for the grapes. I don't think it was wise to allow him to go down to the river alone to refill their water. But as I must coma, I can only hope that all will be well and wait for it.

Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue May 28, 2013 4:23 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:<snip>[anotherprepostedit] Yes it did. Hi BlitzGirl!

1big

[postpostedit]Whoops, I'm this page's designated pope! I should also point out that the footnote above is referring to BlitzGirl's post which contained Sea1 and I didn't expect to be over the newpage.

That's 1 indeed, a Sea that can span the gap between newpages!

bmonk wrote:Do we have a term for a person who is blitzing to ketchup, but also has a current tab open? <snip>

Mixing your ketchup with your mayo-Now-se? You must be a Fry Sauce Blitzer!
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue May 28, 2013 4:31 am UTC

Shanman wrote:This seems easy enough for the basics. And any other questions I have trouble finding answers to on my own, I'll ask! If anyone feels like explaining some personal philosophy which has developed through the thread, feel free though.
Welcome to the madness!

There is a wiki (which I usually get to by googling "xkcd time wiki", though it's in some people's sigs). It hasn't been maintained as well as maybe it ought to; it has a lot of great reference material, but it's not social like we are here. Nonetheless, many significant things have been archived there.

@nerdsniped re: IGNORANCY - another brilliant Jabberwocky! These things should be gathered up in our Jabberwiki1.

The other Jabberwocky is also excellent, but I think has a bit of a scan problem in the verse:
Fear the molpyraptor, Megan!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the the ninjashark! And shun
the beesnakes that seek your snatch!

I'd propose:
Fear the molpyraptor, Cue!
[...] and shun
the unnamed berry patch.

Which brings to mind the fact that the berry patch was never named, nor were the berries. We jump to name animals, but to identify plants. Somehow the berries got overlooked. Maybe it's sort of like the old saw about why Colonel Sanders (KFC) went to prison?2

My feelings about molpys are that they are smallish, and the dangers they pose are subtle. Raptors strike me as larger and their dangers are more obvious.

Jose
1See above
2They found out just what those 11 secret herbs and spices were!
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

Arky

Postby Arky » Tue May 28, 2013 4:31 am UTC

So what do we think Cueball will have been doing in Megan's absence?

e.g. what misadventures will Cueball have suffered in Megan's absence?
Veteran of the One True Thread. And now the Too True Thread?

bmonk

Postby bmonk » Tue May 28, 2013 4:33 am UTC

Arky wrote:So what do we think Cueball will have been doing in Megan's absence?

In trying to build a raft, he will uncover a nest of molpyfrogs? Or Velociraptors?

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue May 28, 2013 4:34 am UTC

Shouldn't that e.g. really be firefox? :)

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Tue May 28, 2013 4:38 am UTC

To lmjb1964 - thank you, it's been fixed now. Sorry 'bout that.
You and HAL9000 are both correct, I don't use the quote function because I mostly post from my phone and it's really difficult to get the cursor in the right place; I've gotten more frustrated trying to combine quote-tabs... Got brave though and put manual quote blocks in when I fixed that post - it worked perfectly so I'll be doing that from now on.

PartingLance, you say you teach (among other things, of course) soil analysis. What is it that you teach: agriculture, architecture, horticulture? Something entirely different?* I'm not certified in anything at all but I'm interested in lots of things anyway, we could have fun debating terrain :P

*That reminds me, could we call the molpython Monty? If it doesn't try to bite Megan, that is...

Or maybe it's something really obnoxious stalking her, smurfs or something
Wiki Wiki Wiki Wiki Grapevine, Grapevine

"Kvetcher-upper" -- one who complains while ketchupping? - CasCat

“Pretty much everything tastes better if you eat it in the shower.” - ggh

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Tue May 28, 2013 4:41 am UTC

He's probably been devoured by beesnakes at this point.

xpatiate

Postby xpatiate » Tue May 28, 2013 4:42 am UTC

Bravo bmonk! A fine use of the double-double-dactyl. Though the meter is not quite right in a couple of lines... could you do "Maybe a quorum of" for line 5 (as long as it's a quorum, doesn't matter how large it is, right?), and for the last line, hmm... given that we're not averse to making up words here, "would be quite ept"?

nerdsniped, I love it - great stuff. Ignorance as the mortal enemy is a very xkcd-ish message :)

Hal9000, monomaniacally was one of my favourites! I must thank jjjdavidson for the fact that my brain now delivers a nice little shot of dopamine whenever I come across a six-syllable word with the emphasis on syllables one and threefour. doh! thanks ucim

Shanman, it does seem likely that a world filled with octocentarians would be somewhat reliant on tyranny, quasi- or otherwise. Unless they were all disembodied consciousnesses in a vat or living in an Iain M. Banks novel.

ucim, I think somebody suggested that the berries were grapes - which would make sense, although the berries near the tree looked bigger than those in the vineyard. I do like "the unnamed berry patch" though so maybe we are better off not identifying them?
Last edited by xpatiate on Tue May 28, 2013 5:09 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue May 28, 2013 4:59 am UTC

xpatiate wrote:I think somebody suggested that the berries were grapes
Yes, that is right. But nobody ever came up with "molpygrapes" or "berryraptors". (Berryraptors would be especially terrifiying!) Is there some subtle kingdomism going on here? Unfair to Plantae!

And it's syllable one and four, no? The first syllable, and the third next-syllable.

Jose

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Tue May 28, 2013 4:59 am UTC

xpatiate wrote:Bravo bmonk! A fine use of the double-double-dactyl. Though the meter is not quite right in a couple of lines... could you do "Maybe a quorum of" for line 5 (as long as it's a quorum, doesn't matter how large it is, right?), and for the last line, hmm... given that we're not averse to making up words here, "would be quite ept"?

nerdsniped, I love it - great stuff. Ignorance as the mortal enemy is a very xkcd-ish message :)

Hal9000, monomaniacally was one of my favourites! I must thank jjjdavidson for the fact that my brain now delivers a nice little shot of dopamine whenever I come across a six-syllable word with the emphasis on syllables one and three.

Shanman, it does seem likely that a world filled with octocentarians would be somewhat reliant on tyranny, quasi- or otherwise. Unless they were all disembodied consciousnesses in a vat or living in an Iain M. Banks novel.

ucim, I think somebody suggested that the berries were grapes - which would make sense, although the berries near the tree looked bigger than those in the vineyard. I do like "the unnamed berry patch" though so maybe we are better off not identifying them?

Let's name it "the unnamed berry patch." Just to confuse passers-by.

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue May 28, 2013 5:03 am UTC

BlueCrab wrote:That reminds me, could we call the molpython Monty? If it doesn't try to bite Megan, that is...
If it ate Megan completely, would that be a full monty?

Jose

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Tue May 28, 2013 5:08 am UTC

@lmjb1964 - Ooh, nice filk! :)

jjjdavidson wrote:If Randall tried to do a narrative chart for the OTT the way he did for LotR and Star Wars, we'd give him a nervous breakdown.
I love this idea. More infographs, I say. I will try it one day (when I can figure out how to parse the data and output it in cool graph form like Sciscitor has been doing).

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

nerdsniped

Postby nerdsniped » Tue May 28, 2013 5:09 am UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:O frabjous day, indeed! Wonderful!

xpatiate wrote:nerdsniped, I love it - great stuff. Ignorance as the mortal enemy is a very xkcd-ish message :)

ucim wrote:@nerdsniped re: IGNORANCY - another brilliant Jabberwocky! These things should be gathered up in our Jabberwiki1.

Thanks everyone! I must say, working on this has given me even greater respect for all the amazing creative talent on display in this thread. I had fun working on the poem, but there are quite a few details I couldn't get to come out the way I wanted. Using the "sought" / "thought" rhyme two verses in a row, settling for "wormy brain" when really I was trying to reference Cueball's brain-eating amoeba, cheating the trees (it wasn't a baobab that they rested under), etc... but I reached a point where if I kept fiddling, I was only going to mess it up.

I am now most particularly in awe of Rule110's The Alt-Text. Oh look, I can make links now. Amazing job of preserving the syntax, structure, flow, and feel of the original while performing a very thorough and consistent transposition of content over to the OTC. I thought that must have been hard to do when I first read it; now I'm certain.

"we are dangerously close to answers. Let's hope they lead to more questions..." -- HES

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue May 28, 2013 5:10 am UTC

MONGOLS...

Also, a homemade peace offering:
Spoiler:
-- posted by newpixbot
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

nerdsniped

Postby nerdsniped » Tue May 28, 2013 5:15 am UTC

richP wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Waterottermolpy?

Because that's fun to say. :D

Yes! :mrgreen: Today I saw a waterottermolpy.

Waterottermolpy? Thaterottermolpy over there!

If the waterottermolpy reproduces, it might have a daughterwaterottermolpy. Though if the river1 retreats further, and the sun is baking down, it might come under stress -- a hotterdaughterwaterottermolpy.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Tue May 28, 2013 5:15 am UTC

mscha wrote:MONGOLS...
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
-- posted by newpixbot

How come the newpixbot still has its peace offering? Does it think we're still mad at it? Because we could be, if it wants us to.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue May 28, 2013 5:20 am UTC

Huh, Megan picked something up off the ground...

I was musing over my silly reply to bmonk and the rhythm of "Fry Sauce Blitzer" just snagged me... so I had to do another song...

Fry Sauce Blitzer
(to the tune of Jukebox Hero)

Spoiler:
Reading through the thread, monitor aglow
Time keeps a-tickin', his eyes go to and fro
Now his ketchup is long, feels like swimming upstream
Took a look at his browser, then with a blitzed-out scream

He made one new tab, opened to the Now
Saw the Present thread, he made a solemn vow
To keep with his blitzing despite the lure
Of the current newpage, though he knew for sure

That one new tab changed all his plans
He made 'til then, open it stands
Just one new tab, changed the status quo
Was a portal through Time, got a new way to go

So he mixed his ketchup
Put mayo-Now on top
Gotta keep that ketchup
But now he's made a fancy new-Time slop

Now he's a fry sauce blitzer, two windows on Time
He's a fry sauce blitzer
He took one new tab (fry sauce blitzer, windows on Time)
Fry sauce blitzer, he'll lead two lives tonight

In a blitz through the thread, in the OTT lore
Thought he passed his own pastpost, didn't know for sure
In a flash to the past, man it seemed pretty strange
How that one new tab made his whole blitz change

When he mixed his old ketchup
Mayo-Now on top
Gotta keep that ketchup
But make a great new-Timey slop

And be a fry sauce blitzer, two windows on Time
He's a fry sauce blitzer, two windows on Time
Yeah, fry sauce blitzer, two windows on Time
With that one new tab he'll lead two lives
Two lives tonight

(Rock-arina interlude)

Yeah he's gotta mix ketchup
Mayo-Now on top
Gotta keep that ketchup

Just one new tab (fry sauce blitzer), two windows on Time
He's just a fry sauce blitzer (aah aah aah)
Fry sauce blitzer, fry sauce blitzer, with two windows on Time
Windows on Time

P.S. I love the new avatar, Jose!
P.P.S. "hotterdaughterwaterottermolpy" - :lol:
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Tue May 28, 2013 5:21 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
mscha wrote:MONGOLS...
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
-- posted by newpixbot

How come the newpixbot still has its peace offering? Does it think we're still mad at it? Because we could be, if it wants us to.

I'm mad because I keep finding that picture when I don't expect it.

The hotterdaughterwaterottermolpy was almost crushed by a falling rock, dislodged by Cueball, thus becoming a squatterhotterdaughterwaterottermolpy
Last edited by Eternal Density on Tue May 28, 2013 5:23 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

xpatiate

Postby xpatiate » Tue May 28, 2013 5:23 am UTC

xpatiate wrote: I must thank jjjdavidson for the fact that my brain now delivers a nice little shot of dopamine whenever I come across a six-syllable word with the emphasis on syllables one and three.

ucim wrote:And it's syllable one and four, no? The first syllable, and the third next-syllable.

Oops - fixed. That should read, "delivers a nice little shot of dopamine, then selects two neurons at random and ties them in a knot".

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue May 28, 2013 5:36 am UTC

Interesting...whatever Megan picked up has been there since Cuegan first passed through the area:

Spoiler:
WhatIsIt.png

It's resting atop one of the flat spots. Presumably not a molpy, since it hasn't moved since newpix 1579. Maybe some treefruit, like the lump the squirpy went to get? (That is the next lump to the right of the tree in this image; it looks vaguely similar.)

Edit moved to later post.
Spoiler:
Treefruit.png
Last edited by BlitzGirl on Tue May 28, 2013 5:45 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue May 28, 2013 5:41 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:I was musing over my silly reply to bmonk and the rhythm of "Fry Sauce Blitzer" just snagged me... so I had to do another song...

Fry Sauce Blitzer
(to the tune of Jukebox Hero)

Spoiler:
Reading through the thread, monitor aglow
Time keeps a-tickin', his eyes go to and fro
Now his ketchup is long, feels like swimming upstream
Took a look at his browser, then with a blitzed-out scream

He made one new tab, opened to the Now
Saw the Present thread, he made a solemn vow
To keep with his blitzing despite the lure
Of the current newpage, though he knew for sure

That one new tab changed all his plans
He made 'til then, open it stands
Just one new tab, changed the status quo
Was a portal through Time, got a new way to go

So he mixed his ketchup
Put mayo-Now on top
Gotta keep that ketchup
But now he's made a fancy new-Time slop

Now he's a fry sauce blitzer, two windows on Time
He's a fry sauce blitzer
He took one new tab (fry sauce blitzer, windows on Time)
Fry sauce blitzer, he'll lead two lives tonight

In a blitz through the thread, in the OTT lore
Thought he passed his own pastpost, didn't know for sure
In a flash to the past, man it seemed pretty strange
How that one new tab made his whole blitz change

When he mixed his old ketchup
Mayo-Now on top
Gotta keep that ketchup

Yeah, fry sauce blitzer, two windows on Time
With that one new tab he'll lead two lives
Two lives tonight

(Rock-arina interlude)

Yeah he's gotta mix ketchup
Mayo-Now on top
Gotta keep that ketchup

Just one new tab (fry sauce blitzer), two windows on Time
He's just a fry sauce blitzer (aah aah aah)
Fry sauce blitzer, fry sauce blitzer, with two windows on Time
Windows on Time

Love it! Sounds like BlitzGirl the First herself says you can be a BlitzGirl even if you didn't completely forsake time. I think this is good, since there was talk of a split in the Order of the Holy Contradiction over this. Orthodox Contradictions were insisting that BlitzGirls must be pure, but Reform Contradictions say that they only need be pure of heart. The Pope himself was going to make a proclamation of some sort, but we all know what happens when the Pope takes action!

BlitzGirl wrote:P.S. I love the new avatar, Jose!
I love the I Love the Whole Thread that gave it to me! It truly was a present present! :) I wanted to find some way to keep the old avatar (so I'm still recognized) without animating (I usually find animations distracting, so I've turned them off in my browser, only turning them on when there's a specific one I want to see), and leaving out the Vytron part (so that Vytron himself can use it, which I saw that he did)

Jose

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”