1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

TimeLurker

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby TimeLurker » Tue May 28, 2013 11:51 am UTC

Did anyone notice the javascript what-if today. The first footnote is for space1. It's all related and the GLR hears our OTT!

1 Really big
Voice of the Silent
Owner of the contents of Cueball's head
Lurking Time-Ninja of the Past-Post

Swein

Postby Swein » Tue May 28, 2013 12:08 pm UTC

Trying to beat the NewpixbotONG
The past is full of traps, charms and mirages, but if you just keep up with with what you are doing it will all be fine.

ergman

Postby ergman » Tue May 28, 2013 12:16 pm UTC

LankieBlonde wrote:Hi!!!
Due to ADOS, I have been very distracted from the forum lately, making it hard to catch up. I have finally made it to page 50!!!
I have seen the first castle be built, destroyed, rebuilt, and abandoned. It's been really cool so far and I have found a single quote that basically summons up the best of the thread, from page 1 to page 50:

riverssong wrote:
riverssong wrote:
I WAITED A HALF HOUR FOR ONE DARKENING PIXEL.

AND THEN
I DID IT AGAIN.

Teehee :lol:
Gotta love that
Bye :D

This reminds me of a thought a had a few Dix ago: When all is Said and done, we should get shirts that say: 'I waited for it and all I got was this stupid T-shirt'
This has probably been said before my time, but still.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Tue May 28, 2013 12:20 pm UTC

Back from the Outside, but I have many demands on my non-Time time today, so it may take me a while to fully ketchup (assuming we Waiters still do that -- I've been gone a few days and might be unaware that memolution has taken place and "ketchuping" is hopelessly passe and out of date).

But as always, I'm glad that:

-- I didn't miss the big End of Time.
-- The OTT is still here and still active, and
-- Peaceful Waiting in the OTT hasn't degenerated into "Oh yeah?!? Well, you're completely wrong, you drooling imbecile! And also, your mother eats carbonated toadstools, you cretinous collection of clueless carbon!" flame-war.

And so backwards I go to get current...
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Tue May 28, 2013 12:27 pm UTC

Due to ADOS, I have been very distracted from the forum lately, making it hard to catch up. I have finally made it to page 50!!!
I have seen the first castle be built, destroyed, rebuilt, and abandoned. It's been really cool so far and I have found a single quote that basically summons up the best of the thread, from page 1 to page 50:
Spoiler:
riverssong wrote:
riverssong wrote:

AND THEN
I DID IT AGAIN.
Gotta love that

You're on NP 50 out of 727 and planning to read the whole thing :shock: . All I can say is good luck and Randall speed my fellow waiter.
Voice of the Silent

xpatiate

Postby xpatiate » Tue May 28, 2013 12:31 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:Another topic altogether. I earlier mentioned x="fractal tree generator". Well a google x turns up lots of cool things including code. Some of it is good enough that even GLR might have done it by hand.

I read a great review of Mandelbrot's memoir today which described the notion of self-similarity - where a shape contains smaller versions of itself, like the recursive sandcastle. Here's a snippet:

Jim Holt in the New York Review of Books wrote:The world we live in, he writes, is an “infinite sea of complexity.” Yet it contains two “islands of simplicity.” One of these, the Euclidean simplicity of smooth forms, was discovered by the ancients. The other, the fractal simplicity of self-similar roughness, was largely discovered by Mandelbrot himself.

An island of fractal simplicity amid an infinite sea of complexity... maybe that's where Cueball and Megan have found themselves?

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Tue May 28, 2013 12:34 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:Back from the Outside, but I have many demands on my non-Time time today, so it may take me a while to fully ketchup (assuming we Waiters still do that -- I've been gone a few days and might be unaware that memolution has taken place and "ketchuping" is hopelessly passe and out of date).

But as always, I'm glad that:

-- I didn't miss the big End of Time.
-- The OTT is still here and still active, and
-- Peaceful Waiting in the OTT hasn't degenerated into "Oh yeah?!? Well, you're completely wrong, you drooling imbecile! And also, your mother eats carbonated toadstools, you cretinous collection of clueless carbon!" flame-war.

And so backwards I go to get current...

Welcome back StratPlayer! Good luck on our ketchup (yes, we still do that).

I am relieved to see Cuegan reunited and safely on their way. I do so hope that there will be more squirpies as they journey nearer to the mountains. What other wildlife might they also find, there?
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

edfel

Postby edfel » Tue May 28, 2013 12:34 pm UTC

Onward to the mountains! At last, they'll be turning terra incognita into map data :-)
The poll for the mountains name is still open, I've had Sierra Molpies for now. It's good, but there may be other ideas?
Waiting for it: Map of Time, same, no JS, Ages of Time.
Beginning a new story with every choice, no matter how small: Goodies.

akacat

Postby akacat » Tue May 28, 2013 12:40 pm UTC

Harkening back to this bit of the UGG discussion:

SBN wrote:Also, I'm told that in their land of origin, no one wears Uggs outside.

I'd heard that UGGs were originally created to be worn on the beach1 after surfing. (The theory being that the fluffy innersole would keep the scratchy sand away from feet.)

Now, I did think this seemed odd, since Australia is known for being very warm. But I'm also the sort of person who happily goes around barefoot on non-carpeted flooring in the winter2, so I've long since given up on figuring out what other people consider temperature-appropriate footwear.

So, is the story entirely untrue? Or does it have some basis in fact? (Perhaps surfers in a cooler climate adopted them for the purpose?) Anybody know?

1 sandy
2 The only place I can think of that I'd comfortable wear UGGs at all is outside, within the Arctic3 Circle, in the winter. And even then, I'm not so sure.
3 Or the Antarctic Circle, I'm not hemispherist.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Tue May 28, 2013 12:52 pm UTC

akacat wrote:Harkening back to this bit of the UGG discussion:

SBN wrote:Also, I'm told that in their land of origin, no one wears Uggs outside.

I'd heard that UGGs were originally created to be worn on the beach1 after surfing. (The theory being that the fluffy innersole would keep the scratchy sand away from feet.)

Now, I did think this seemed odd, since Australia is known for being very warm. But I'm also the sort of person who happily goes around barefoot on non-carpeted flooring in the winter2, so I've long since given up on figuring out what other people consider temperature-appropriate footwear.

So, is the story entirely untrue? Or does it have some basis in fact? (Perhaps surfers in a cooler climate adopted them for the purpose?) Anybody know?

1 sandy
2 The only place I can think of that I'd comfortable wear UGGs at all is outside, within the Arctic3 Circle, in the winter. And even then, I'm not so sure.

'Tis true. It is also why the soles of UGGs are designed as they are (better traction on sand). Australia is warm, as is California, where they first became popular here in the States. This is true. However, the pacific ocean can be quite cold, even in California and Australia (surface temperature of the ocean around Melbourne is around 14 - 16 C right now). The idea was to have a shoe that could be worn with damp feet, from the beach to inside, while keeping feet warm and the inside of where ever you happen to be dry and not so sandy. I understand they are popular with surfers in California who use them for this purpose (and not as horrible fashion!) but not so much with surfers in Florida because, well, the sand in Florida is damn hot right now, so who in their right mind would wear faux fur lined boots?

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Tue May 28, 2013 1:02 pm UTC

Flado wrote:
TheMinim wrote:
pelrigg wrote:hey TheMinim look at your post count and the page number hint

Wow - 99 was a nice number, far better than 100, but yet I shall delve into the binary anyway. :D Can't wait for 111.

Well then - congratulations on your 111th post - a good use of my 100th100
----
100 Слонобикозъбесто награбадабърче.

Oh no, I missed it! :( :( :( :( :(

Oh well. I've got past some of my own posts, so I'm getting to catching up with the Present again! Haven't caught up with past, but am near to the present, so, yeah...

Skittles? For everyone!

Spoiler:
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

Swein

Postby Swein » Tue May 28, 2013 1:03 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:
akacat wrote:Harkening back to this bit of the UGG discussion:

1 sandy

'Tis true. It is also why the soles of UGGs are designed as they are (better traction on sand). Australia is warm, as is California, where they first became popular here in the States. This is true. However, the pacific ocean can be quite cold, even in California and Australia (surface temperature of the ocean around Melbourne is around 14 - 16 C right now). The idea was to have a shoe that could be worn with damp feet, from the beach to inside, while keeping feet warm and the inside of where ever you happen to be dry and not so sandy. I understand they are popular with surfers in California who use them for this purpose (and not as horrible fashion!) but not so much with surfers in Florida because, well, the sand in Florida is damn hot right now, so who in their right mind would wear faux fur lined boots?

Beeing brought up in a cold place, my experiece of southern beaches is that they may be HOT! Hot enough to make sandals a must. That said, I have no idea about what an Ugg is... :?
The past is full of traps, charms and mirages, but if you just keep up with with what you are doing it will all be fine.

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Tue May 28, 2013 1:05 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:This is absolutely the most brilliant description of this thread. That's exactly what it's like. Thanks for summing it up so perfectly. I look forward to whatever dissertation comes out of this.

Thanks a ton─that feels like someone just snuck up and gave me a big hug when I wasn't expecting it.

And thanks for "The Most Wonderful Thread on the Net". That song, along with BlitzGirl's "Don't Worry, Feed Squirpys" (long since sigged), is just the light note we need around here when it gets too serious.

Glad you liked it, and glad I was able to give you a big hug. :) And I love your "Good night, Mrs. MobTeeseboose, wherever you are!" That just cracked me up.

As far as awards for Randall, even if he didn't discuss them, he might still like having them. If anyone now of something to nominate him for, let us know.

spamjam wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:imshca, for example
1 big
2 small
3 Wait, now these are all out of order.
4 Neat.3
iii Even though standardization is a bad idea.iv
iv Not that that doesn't stop us from trying.
v Myself included
A 404 Footnote not foundB
BOh, here it is!

iishould be iiiiii

Fixed it, thanks.

nerdniped, nice job with "Ignorancy!"

bmonk wrote:Do we have a term for a person who is blitzing to ketchup, but also has a current tab open?

Confused. That's what I was when I was doing it. :D BlitzGirl, loved "Fry Sauce Blitzer."

These things were awfulsome:
ucim wrote:
BlueCrab wrote:That reminds me, could we call the molpython Monty? If it doesn't try to bite Megan, that is...
If it ate Megan completely, would that be a full monty?
(and also Jabberwiki).
nerdsniped wrote:
richP wrote:Waterottermolpy? Thaterottermolpy over there!

If the waterottermolpy reproduces, it might have a daughterwaterottermolpy. Though if the river1 retreats further, and the sun is baking down, it might come under stress -- a hotterdaughterwaterottermolpy.

Eternal Density wrote:The hotterdaughterwaterottermolpy was almost crushed by a falling rock, dislodged by Cueball, thus becoming a squatterhotterdaughterwaterottermolpy

And I vote for calling the fruit on the vines grapeberries. Or berrygrapes.

Edited to fix general quoting errors.
Last edited by lmjb1964 on Tue May 28, 2013 1:09 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

Swein

Postby Swein » Tue May 28, 2013 1:09 pm UTC

Leaving room for the Molpies or ONG?

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Tue May 28, 2013 1:18 pm UTC

Next time you are tempted to flame, do the following. Yes it is a test and yes I am a professor, so know about the importance of these things.

Go get a nice piece of paper; white, pink, purple, your choice; letter or A4 will do. Get a #2 pencil. No, not a two and a half, a #2. (Tevye sings)

Answer the following questions:
1. My opinion on standards is as follows:
(a) EVERYTHING should be standardized completely and the standards rigidly enforced. e.g. Commas SHALL be used correctly. NO deviations permitted. Enforcers shall be severe with immediate and long-lasting repercussions.
(b) All rules should be abolished, never to appear again. Rule MAKERS shall be pelted with many unmentionable items.
(c) Some other, possibly intermediate, position as explained below.
(d) This question doesn't move me, so I'll create and answer my own question as explained below.

2. My opinion on UGGs is as follows:
(a) They were created by satan him/her self for the torture of the young and the ridicule of the old.
(b) Love 'em. Never take them off. Wear them to bed. Wear them in the shower.
(d) This question doesn't move me, so I'll create and answer my own question as explained below.

3. My opinion on Universal Molpyism is as follows:
(a) What Hal9000 wrote
(b) meh1

4. My opinion on this test is as follows:
(a) Fluffy's commin' for YOU charlie
(b) Hmmm. Very valuable exercise

Now take your sheet of paper. Fold it nine ways and put it in your pocket/purse/ipad case/locket next to your heart/some unmentionable place. Keep it there until it is unreadable. No, don't publish it here.

Feel better? I thought so.

1 A New York colloquialism meaning: meh1
Last edited by charlie_grumbles on Tue May 28, 2013 1:23 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Tue May 28, 2013 1:20 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:And I vote for calling the fruit on the vines grapeberries. Or berrygrapes.

How about braperries. It was a braperry vine?

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Tue May 28, 2013 1:21 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:So I tried my hand at songrewriting again but Megan came back and ruined it. Oh well. Imagine this was posted a newpix ago.
Spoiler:
Well here we are again
I had a lovely ketchup
We saw the squirpy moving
once or twice.
And Megan picked more grapes
But then she kept on walking
She left the frame for good and
That was not very nice

You want molpythons?
Take them
That's what I'm counting on

I used to wait for it
but
Now I know that Megan's gone
[/GLaDOS]

Like it. Sung it. :D :D
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Tue May 28, 2013 1:27 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:Next time you are tempted to flame, do the following. Yes it is a test and yes I am a professor, so know about the importance of these things.
Spoiler:
Go get a nice piece of paper; white, pink, purple, your choice; letter or A4 will do. Get a #2 pencil. No, not a two and a half, a #2. (Tevye sings)

(a) EVERYTHING should be standardized completely and the standards rigidly enforced. e.g. Commas SHALL be used correctly. NO deviations permitted. Enforcers shall be severe with immediate and long-lasting repercussions.
(b) All rules should be abolished, never to appear again. Rule MAKERS shall be pelted with many unmentionable items.

(a) They were created by satan him/her self for the torture of the young and the ridicule of the old.

(a) What Hal9000 wrote
(b) meh1

Now take your sheet of paper. Fold it nine ways and put it in your pocket/purse/ipad case/locket next to your heart/some unmentionable place. Keep it there until it is unreadable. No, don't publish it here.

C, A, B, B
How'd I do teach?
Voice of the Silent

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Tue May 28, 2013 1:34 pm UTC

TimeLurker wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:Next time you are tempted to flame, do the following. Yes it is a test and yes I am a professor, so know about the importance of these things.
Spoiler:

(a) What Hal9000 wrote
(b) meh1

C, A, B, B
How'd I do teach?

Ahhh. You forgot this bit
No, don't publish it here.

so, I'm afraid you'll have to stay after school for a makeup.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Tue May 28, 2013 1:39 pm UTC

Chaotic Pile of Ketchup (vol 1)

"Fries anyone? Ketchup crash snarls traffic in Nevada"

Assorted thoughts from the past 20+ NewPages:

mscha wrote:Randall moves in a mysterious way
His wonders to perform;
Spoiler:
He plants His footsteps in the sea¹
And rides upon the sea level rising event.

Deep in unfathomable rivers²
Of never failing skill
He treasures up His neat designs
And works His sovereign will.

Ye fearful knights, fresh courage take;
The Molpies ye so much dread
Are big with mercy and shall break
In blessings on your head.

Judge not the Creator by feeble sense,
But trust Him for His grace;
Behind a frowning providence
He hides a smiling face.

His purposes will ripen fast,
Unfolding every newpix;
The berry may have a bitter taste,
But sweet will be the grape.

Blind unbelief is sure to err
And scan His work in vain;
Randall is His own interpreter,
And He will make it plain.

Very nice, mscha!!!

lmjb1964 wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Dracomax wrote:But is glaring with intent the same as glaring intentionally?

Only if your name is Aqualung. Ooops, that was *staring* .

Actually, it was "eyeing."
And thanks, I never knew that semantic satiation was an actual thing, with a name and everything.

You're welcome (but technically, it was cellocgw who made the Aqualung reference)! And...

lmjb1964 wrote:StratPlayer, I think I want to marry you. (Hopefully you're not in high school like HAL9000, since that would be creepy).

Awww, thanks! You're too sweet! And don't worry -- I haven't been in high school since the month McDonald's first introduced The Happy Meal. :wink: However, my wife might still consider sharing her husband with a new sister wife a little creepy...

ChronosDragon wrote:
SBN wrote:
astrocub wrote:I'm still brain-blown by the fact that you managed to connect dracomax to himself! :D
ETA: Right, time for me to coma when I'm getting time dragons and guitar raptors mixed up. :oops:

Just watch out for the time raptors. Guitar dragons are cool though.

Damn. Google images has some cool results for "guitar dragon".
Spoiler:

No problem. I've been mistaken for much worse people than ChronosDragon. :wink: And very cool guitar!

k.bookbinder wrote:Now I must coma for I've an unreasonably early start in the morning. I leave with what rvloon started, and I will attempt to finish (I hope you don't mind, rvloon!). *clears throat*

Molpy singing in the dead of night
Spoiler:
Take these broken wONGs and learn to fly
All your life
You were only waiting for it, now's your Time to try

Take these sunken eyes and learn to see
All your life
You were only waiting for it, now you can be free

Molpy fly, molpy fly
Into the light of the dark black Time

Molpy fly, molpy fly
Into the light of the dark black Time

Take these broken wONGs and learn to fly
All your life

Excellent work, rvloon and k.bookbinder!!! :D

Exodies wrote:While I'm on the blower, I've reduced all y'all's "knows Turing" number to 3 - you can now tell your friends that you know someone who knows someone who knew Alan Turing. If that's how these numbers work. They may be base 1 instead.

Wow, cool! My numbers have definitely taken a Turing for the better!

And in keeping with the point of your post that I snipped, I'll cut this ketchup post vol 1 off now as long enough and will proceed to vol 2...
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Tue May 28, 2013 1:52 pm UTC

That thing you don't put on Steaks time!
Approximatly 10 pages back...Blitzgirl passed me again, but I have only 11 posts more before I pass the once-and-future pope Helper.

Mscha "Irwin"- Molpy Hunter(Warning, lots of big images)
HAL9000 is watching you poop
Footnotepalooza
Artificial Treebuckets
Tshirt Heresy

Spoiler:
mscha wrote:OMR Molpysnake!

Stop Chasing me! I am NOT a molpy! I am not tiny! I'm just farther away!
mscha wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
mscha wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
Dracomax wrote:And in other news, I can't see Hal9000's monolith anymore...

It's still there, but is hard to spot if you don't know what you're looking for. It's the rectangle bounded on the top by the light (shining over its top) and on the bottom by my "eye," and is a little narrower than the panel the "eye" is mounted on. You can identify its horizontal boundaries by looking for the lighter grey of the panel on either side of it, as it's not quite as wide as the panel.

Hal, maybe you can make a simple animated GIF with your original (hatted) avatar plus your new one in rotation? I'd be happy to generate it for you if you post your original avatar.

That'd be great! I'll attach the file of the old avatar to this post. If it's not too challenging, I think it'd be fun if when the .gif transitioned from one avatar to the other it appeared to zoom in from my current (BlitzGirl-produced) avatar to my old (cmyk/buffygirl-produced) avatar, and then zoom back out.

How's this?

G'ahh! Hall is WATCHING me now. It's kind of creepy.

After all these avatars and ketchup gifs, I may have to make my own ketchup image--just as soon as I have access to a scanner again...(I work better from pencil sketches)

BlitzGirl wrote:
Shanman wrote:<snip>
I'm glad that I decided to really start following the One True Thread again, but having only read 1 out of every 20 newpages for an unfathomable 500 or 600 newpages1, I'm definitely just trying to pick up the culture a bit. When I left, the Religion of the One True Comic was in its early phases, (certainly no schisms!) and the biggest issue was with what to call newpix if they were spaced out by an hour. I guess the thing that's confusing me most is the footnotes, which... must be related to outside-comic 1208, but which are vaguely unsettling nonetheless!2

Fun fact: the OTT was using footnotes for quite some Time before #1208. OTT did it first! :wink:

In fact, I think I might89 have been the first98 to post a footnote that was not led to from anywhere2[sup]8[/sup]. It was just there, and someone told someone else that if they were properly reading the footnotes, they'd have never even seen it.

Eternal Density wrote:
AK49BWL wrote:Hey guys. I'm lost back at NewPage 590.. Somebody posted a trebuchet simulator and I lost over 96 Newpix to that ...
I think it was me who re-linked the trebuchet simulator, sorry :(
Did I ever thank you for that? It was pretty awesome.

ergman wrote:

riverssong wrote:
riverssong wrote:

AND THEN
I DID IT AGAIN.

Gotta love that

This reminds me of a thought a had a few Dix ago: When all is Said and done, we should get shirts that say: 'I waited for it and all I got was this stupid T-shirt'
This has probably been said before my time, but still.

I was looking for someone to punish for heresy. I thought to myself, wow, in 10 pages, none has been particularly heretical. ANd then this. All you got was a tshirt? Come on, man!(or woman, or whatever you might identify yourself as. I was using The McCoy-person tense.) If we get any kind of tshirt, it should say, "I waited an hour on a darkening pixel. And all I got was...Everything!

I sentence you to listen to the Beatles White album. Also, Paul still not dead, just in case you start listening to songs backward.

89I totally was though
98I am far too humble to ever take credit for it, though
8This is where it came from, BTW.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Tue May 28, 2013 2:00 pm UTC

AND I'M CAUGHT UP!!!!!!!!

*over-enthusiatic about getting to the present even though needs to read some more Past*

Swein

Postby Swein » Tue May 28, 2013 2:03 pm UTC

EnterONG a garden...

[edit] Just waiting for the angry gardener with a rake...

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Tue May 28, 2013 2:04 pm UTC

Small tree supported by prONGs
Spoiler:

Recently planted surely?
Ninja'd
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

astrocub

Postby astrocub » Tue May 28, 2013 2:06 pm UTC

<blindpost> Good point about the mini treeprobably doesn't know what it's doing/sappling maybe being recently planted!
Last edited by astrocub on Tue May 28, 2013 2:07 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Tue May 28, 2013 2:07 pm UTC

There may be other people in the near future! Truly, this is the greatest era to be alive.
“have i gone mad?

Swein

Postby Swein » Tue May 28, 2013 2:07 pm UTC

TheMinim wrote:AND I'M CAUGHT UP!!!!!!!!

*over-enthusiatic about getting to the present even though needs to read some more Past*

Yay! Beer and sausage for TheMinim with the really minimal image!

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Tue May 28, 2013 2:09 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:<snip> I was looking for someone to punish for heresy. I thought to myself, wow, in 10 pages, none has been particularly heretical. ANd then this. All you got was a tshirt? Come on, man!(or woman, or whatever you might identify yourself as. I was using The McCoy-person tense.) If we get any kind of tshirt, it should say, "I waited an hour on a darkening pixel. And all I got was...Everything!

I sentence you to listen to the Beatles White album. Also, Paul still not dead, just in case you start listening to songs backward.

What a strange and eerie coincidence, for at this moment, I am listening to The Beatles' White Album :shock:

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue May 28, 2013 2:10 pm UTC

mikro2nd wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:Let's name it "the unnamed berry patch." Just to confuse passers-by.
How about "The Shrubbery"?
I cannot read that without hearing the Holy Grail's musical sting in my mind! (Or more precisely, the sting from the "Album of the Soundtrack of the Film of Monty Python and the Holy Grail", a must-hear if you haven't).

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Tue May 28, 2013 2:11 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:
Dracomax wrote:<snip> I was looking for someone to punish for heresy. I thought to myself, wow, in 10 pages, none has been particularly heretical. ANd then this. All you got was a tshirt? Come on, man!(or woman, or whatever you might identify yourself as. I was using The McCoy-person tense.) If we get any kind of tshirt, it should say, "I waited an hour on a darkening pixel. And all I got was...Everything!

What a strange and eerie coincidence, for at this moment, I am listening to The Beatles' White Album :shock:

See? It's all connected. :wink:
“have i gone mad?

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Tue May 28, 2013 2:12 pm UTC

Swein wrote:
TheMinim wrote:AND I'M CAUGHT UP!!!!!!!!

Yay! Beer and sausage for TheMinim with the really minimal image!

Spoiler:

I'm not a fan of alcohol but I'll gladly eat the sausages! Om nom nom!

*sells the beer for highly inflated prices*

And lovely garden! (in Time)

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Tue May 28, 2013 2:12 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:There may be other people in the near future! Truly, this is the greatest era to be alive.

Can we be certain that the tree was planted by people? Perhaps the squirpies have developed a sophisticated agricultural society to ensure the replenishment of nut producing trees.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Tue May 28, 2013 2:14 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:
Dracomax wrote:There may be other people in the near future! Truly, this is the greatest era to be alive.

Can we be certain that the tree was planted by people? Perhaps the squirpies have developed a sophisticated agricultural society to ensure the replenishment of nut producing trees.

First Contact! any civilization that has developed tool based Agriculture counts as "people" even if not human.
“have i gone mad?

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue May 28, 2013 2:19 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:Stop Chasing me! I am NOT a molpy! I am not tiny! I'm just farther away!
Spoiler:

Edit: Re: obviously planted tree and other shrubbery:
Did y'all forget about the vine½cuea? That was surely planted by people, and apparently abandoned since. Why would this be different?

a: vineyard, for the canonic-measurement-unit-ally challenged.
Last edited by mscha on Tue May 28, 2013 2:25 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Tue May 28, 2013 2:22 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:

Squirrels are surprisingly high on lists of most intelligent animals, such as this one: http://www.nbcnews.com/id/24628983/ns/technology_and_science-science/t/smartest-animals/#.UaS75NLVA8o
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Tue May 28, 2013 2:34 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
Dracomax wrote:Stop Chasing me! I am NOT a molpy! I am not tiny! I'm just farther away!
Spoiler:

Edit: Re: obviously planted tree and other shrubbery:
Did y'all forget about the vine½cuea? That was surely planted by people, and apparently abandoned since. Why would this be different?

a: vineyard, for the canonic-measurement-unit-ally challenged.

Glad you liked it.

Also, While the Vine½cue was obviously planted by people, it probably wasn't recent, by the words of Cuegan. This almost has to be recent, because that kind of binding on trees is only done for maybe a year or so.
“have i gone mad?

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Tue May 28, 2013 2:36 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:StratPlayer, I think I want to marry you. (Hopefully you're not in high school like HAL9000, since that would be creepy).

Awww, thanks! You're too sweet! And don't worry -- I haven't been in high school since the month McDonald's first introduced The Happy Meal. :wink: However, my wife might still consider sharing her husband with a new sister wife a little creepy...

Funny you should mention that. When "Big Love" was cruising thru its early seasons, my (non-sister) wife and a good friend of hers decided it would be cool to have a sister wife to share the crapola-ish stuff around the house. Both of us husbands cringed at the thought of keeping two (or more) wives calm and happy :oops: .

PS when I finished high school we used circular slide rules and waited a year or two for Bowmar Brains to hit the market.
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Tue May 28, 2013 2:40 pm UTC

BlitzGirl:

Fry Sauce Blitzer Is brilliant!

I just had a little browsing adventure, ala OtherComic 214.
Spoiler:
I went to look for fruit/nut trees of Madagascar.
I thought persimmon trees sounded interesting, so I checked to see where in Madagascar they might grow.
Wikipedia told me, "Madagascar lowland forests." I thought, "I have no clue where those are." I looked for a map.
First I found this topographical map, which helped me figure out where the mountains were.
Then I found a more helpful land cover map. I looked at the key. "Seasonally flooded?"
I googled "Madagascar coastal flooding" and got a lot of hits about cyclones, including news stories from earlier this yip.
Hopped back over to wikipedia, which said, Regular cyclones cause flooding in low lying coastal regions.
Alright, wikipedia'd tropical cyclones. Read: storm surges can produce extensive coastal flooding up to 40 kilometresH from the coastline.
"Hmm," I thought. "I don't remember seeing speculation about a storm surge causing Sea rise on my Quest." Read the article on storm surge.
Found an interesting PDF by the U.S. National Weather Service about storm surges, and it mentioned that freshwater input can contribute to water rise, too:
Heavy rainfall ahead of a hurricane can cause river levels to rise well inland from the coast. Once all this water flows downriver and reaches the coast, local water levels especially near deltas and in bays will rise.

Long story short, I thought of the rising Sea1 in the Sandcastle Era, and wanted to toss some of this storm-makes-Sea-level-rise into the theory pile (as I was not Present to do so back then). I know storm activity was touched upon, but I don't remember anything about cyclones or storm tides or freshwater input (which would definitely affect the taste of the Sea, as noted by Cueball). The validity is questionable, as we have yet to see any weather-related phenomena in the OTC apart from the rise in semencoffeecancerbabiesonice, or even waves, but I'm kind of interested to see what a storm would look like in Time.

I love adventures like that. We had a huge dictionary when I was growing up, and I learned very quickly to bring a note pad with me to keep track of the other words that caught my eye, lest I forget what they were and never get the chance to wander down their path!

Now I'm off to pick up Little Bear for another 5 daysH; I'll be lurking but not likely posting - everybody have a good wip!

H Yes, yes. I haven't had my coffee yet, okay? Besides, using Outside time/length units is a dogmatic* violation, not a heretical one - Cuegan wouldn't have a clue what we were talking about.

*As opposed to a Dogmatix violation, which would be an ill-timed nose to the crotch.

P.S. Hey, look, lmjb1964, it works!
P.P.S. I know, I know, I'm silly. This is not unusual for me :wink:
Wiki Wiki Wiki Wiki Grapevine, Grapevine

"Kvetcher-upper" -- one who complains while ketchupping? - CasCat

“Pretty much everything tastes better if you eat it in the shower.” - ggh

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Tue May 28, 2013 2:46 pm UTC

BlueCrab wrote:P.P.S. I know, I know, I'm silly. This is not unusual for me :wink:

We're all a little bit crazy here (it's the effect of Waiting For It) so it's not unusual for any of us either.

I'm definitely crazy, for a start.

Ebonite

Postby Ebonite » Tue May 28, 2013 2:54 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:

Is it really white? Or is it possible that there is a slightly gray pixel hidden in there somewhere?

Better check to see if there's any Mean Mr. Mustard around. . .
Sir Ebonite, Lord of the Three Holes
"molpy molpy molpy molpy la la la"

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”