1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

charlie_grumbles

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby charlie_grumbles » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:00 am UTC

stand-ONG

Pretty lonely here. Wake up. Wake up.

The ong and the pope. Wow
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:08 am UTC

I am awake at midday and am likely to leave for a while later. In case you really need to know.
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:18 am UTC

Exodies wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
HES wrote:Quick poll, how many people own Portal 2?

The only games I own (but do not play) are Age of Mythology and Roller Coaster Tycoon 2/3.
Old stuff, I know. Usually I'm programming when most other people would be playing.

The best computer game is a compiler.

You had a compiler? We had to make do with an assembler! :P
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:20 am UTC

[evil]
)))}()){[{[(}{{]([]])({[})()}}(]{{[{)({][]{[])[}[[[(({]{((}()([)}]])(]}(][(})[{}
[})]}{{]][}[{]]}}{[])[}{[]][]]({((){[([[{[[({)]]}){{[})})(}){{()})[}(][]]((}(){]
][](())(][}[}}][]){[)([{}[]{}{{{)}}[}[[[)]}{{((]}[({[){})])[]{({])([){))])){(}]]
}]]({]){})([((]{{[{{(()){]][)[{[}}[[(([}()]{[[[([}}[)([})[()()}][[]][)}]{}[}{]}[
([(}](])(][}[}}{([{)({]{)]{}))[[[[[])}]}](((})[{[){{)()}[}()[}]}})]{{[{}]{)((](}
}][]{]]([(}[[{[}]{)[)})]}}}](){}[}][[)[)((({})}[}([)(([)]{)]}]]([(({([}]](){}([]
)(]]{([()){][[]([][]}[]][{(})}([]]())][]([[{(](}]{}}({[[[}{])([())]{]}))[)((()({
())[{({](]())}{{](][[{][)[})]{}{){[[}[])[{[)}][)]}]}]}][())({[()[{]({]]}}()[]}}[
{())){[]}[[{(()(]{[)}](({([}({]({[]}(}]}})(]}}))]{{([(]]{{}[[}(})}][][[]}])]][()
]][]}]}{((}}}{[{)[]}]}[{[}{[}}({))[]{)())}}{)[}({(])([}[)}]]}(])[]})){}[})}{(}{]
{][{[{][)}([)[]({){(]([}}})])}(]])(][)[[([{{))(}))}}[{[(}}[)(}][)]{[{(]}[{]({]{(
(]))}[]})({)[{[({{[[{[{}{))[}(}]([[]([)}{)([]((})([}[(}{}[]})(]{[{})(}{{]))]()](
)()([}}[{{{][}({{{)](]]}})[}]){))}{[)))[)(([)}[))}[{{}({[{)[])([}[}{[[[[]]({)[{(
]}{[){[{]{[{[(}{]{}(}(([}(]](((({]}})()[)[){(}))}[)]{([})}{[}}}}){]{{}(()())][})
)]{([([{{])}){)))(](][[{)](})()))}{]{](){(]){]]{{}(){))}}){{)]})]}}{[]{)}(){}){(
}]](}}(}[][[)))}(]{})]]()}(([]][]()([}{[))[][)]){[{()[)(][]}]]}{(}({}({])[)}[)[[
{[{(}[){((]))])}[[[][]}}[{{(])]]()}]]}](]}[))(]]}))){{{()}[)](]{{()[]{}{[([()(}(
{)]]})}({([{]]({(}}((}}]){({[]}()[(}{](((}}{)[[(}[(]]]]{[)[{})[{(])[}{]}}](}{)][
{][((]}))[)[([{}}}})((]}])[((]}})]]})[)[)]}(]}})(}(){)[)}))[(}{([[[{)}}{(})]}[()
{]{{[}[[{)[({[]{(}}{)}{{{]{}]}{{{]})}{]{)}({((){[))]](}[(}[]}}(}[[)){]])}}[]))({
[/evil]
FTFM... Image
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:22 am UTC

mscha wrote:[evil]
)))}()){[{[(}{{]([]])({[})()}}(]{{[{)({][]{[])[}[[[(({]{((}()([)}]])(]}(][(})[{}
[})]}{{]][}[{]]}}{[])[}{[]][]]({((){[([[{[[({)]]}){{[})})(}){{()})[}(][]]((}(){]
][](())(][}[}}][]){[)([{}[]{}{{{)}}[}[[[)]}{{((]}[({[){})])[]{({])([){))])){(}]]
}]]({]){})([((]{{[{{(()){]][)[{[}}[[(([}()]{[[[([}}[)([})[()()}][[]][)}]{}[}{]}[
([(}](])(][}[}}{([{)({]{)]{}))[[[[[])}]}](((})[{[){{)()}[}()[}]}})]{{[{}]{)((](}
}][]{]]([(}[[{[}]{)[)})]}}}](){}[}][[)[)((({})}[}([)(([)]{)]}]]([(({([}]](){}([]
)(]]{([()){][[]([][]}[]][{(})}([]]())][]([[{(](}]{}}({[[[}{])([())]{]}))[)((()({
())[{({](]())}{{](][[{][)[})]{}{){[[}[])[{[)}][)]}]}]}][())({[()[{]({]]}}()[]}}[
{())){[]}[[{(()(]{[)}](({([}({]({[]}(}]}})(]}}))]{{([(]]{{}[[}(})}][][[]}])]][()
]][]}]}{((}}}{[{)[]}]}[{[}{[}}({))[]{)())}}{)[}({(])([}[)}]]}(])[]})){}[})}{(}{]
{][{[{][)}([)[]({){(]([}}})])}(]])(][)[[([{{))(}))}}[{[(}}[)(}][)]{[{(]}[{]({]{(
(]))}[]})({)[{[({{[[{[{}{))[}(}]([[]([)}{)([]((})([}[(}{}[]})(]{[{})(}{{]))]()](
)()([}}[{{{][}({{{)](]]}})[}]){))}{[)))[)(([)}[))}[{{}({[{)[])([}[}{[[[[]]({)[{(
]}{[){[{]{[{[(}{]{}(}(([}(]](((({]}})()[)[){(}))}[)]{([})}{[}}}}){]{{}(()())][})
)]{([([{{])}){)))(](][[{)](})()))}{]{](){(]){]]{{}(){))}}){{)]})]}}{[]{)}(){}){(
}]](}}(}[][[)))}(]{})]]()}(([]][]()([}{[))[][)]){[{()[)(][]}]]}{(}({}({])[)}[)[[
{[{(}[){((]))])}[[[][]}}[{{(])]]()}]]}](]}[))(]]}))){{{()}[)](]{{()[]{}{[([()(}(
{)]]})}({([{]]({(}}((}}]){({[]}()[(}{](((}}{)[[(}[(]]]]{[)[{})[{(])[}{]}}](}{)][
{][((]}))[)[([{}}}})((]}])[((]}})]]})[)[)]}(]}})(}(){)[)}))[(}{([[[{)}}{(})]}[()
{]{{[}[[{)[({[]{(}}{)}{{{]{}]}{{{]})}{]{)}({((){[))]](}[(}[]}}(}[[)){]])}}[]))({
[/evil]
FTFM... Image

Ooh, purdy...
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:23 am UTC

cellocgw wrote:
Exodies wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
HES wrote:Quick poll, how many people own Portal 2?

The only games I own (but do not play) are Age of Mythology and Roller Coaster Tycoon 2/3.
Old stuff, I know. Usually I'm programming when most other people would be playing.

The best computer game is a compiler.

You had a compiler? We had to make do with an assembler! :P

Wow. You had an assembler??? Awesome.
Back in MY day:
3634376649_a0150b569e_z.jpg
Plugboard

Disclaimer. Actually a bit before my day. But I did have to program a switch based front end on a pdp-11-10 to get the boot loader entered. About 20 binary words. Very error prone.
-- Charlie Grumbles

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:24 am UTC

[/evil]
FTFM... Image

Wow -- if you stare at that, cross your eyes a bit and [[[wait for it]]] the hidden 3D image is something to behold!

Or maybe it's just an ASCII shift-code for some Whitespace code. I'm not sure.
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:25 am UTC

TheMinim wrote:I am awake at midday and am likely to leave for a while later. In case you really need to know.

Hmmm. Watching...
In case you really need to know.
Don't do anything "spyish".
-- Charlie Grumbles

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:26 am UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
TheMinim wrote:I am awake at midday and am likely to leave for a while later. In case you really need to know.

Hmmm. Watching...
In case you really need to know. Don't do anything "spyish".

Don't worry. I won't.

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:27 am UTC

TheMinim wrote:
Spoiler:

[/evil]
FTFM... Image

Ooh, purdy...

Exactly. At this level they stop being open and close marks and just become ASCII art.
Edit: Spoilered.
Last edited by jjjdavidson on Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:18 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:34 am UTC

ETA link to original - which was the ‘current’ OtherComic at time of posting.
Last edited by mscha on Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:29 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Selcouth

Postby Selcouth » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:44 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:
TheMinim wrote:
[/evil]
FTFM... Image

Ooh, purdy...

Exactly. At this level they stop being open and close marks and just become ASCII art.

Huh?

mscha wrote:Image

What are you implying? :P
"But I've never seen the Icarus story as a lesson about the limitations of humans... I see it as a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive."

-Randall Munroe

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:47 am UTC

Since we are only a few here at the moment, I thought I'd entertain you with a puzzle.

A man in desert nomadic lands was once quite rich, but died owning only 23 camels (camelMolpies). He had three sons and his will directed that the first son should receive half of his camels, the second one-third and the last son one-eigth of the camels.

The law was very strict in those days and the sons also wanted to honor their father's wishes without "dividing" any of the individual camels.

They searched long and hard for a solution, without success.

A wise person rode into their village on a camel and helped them find the answer. Are you that wise person?
-- Charlie Grumbles

Ace

Postby Ace » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:49 am UTC

cellocgw wrote:
Spoiler:
[/evil]
FTFM... Image

Wow -- if you stare at that, cross your eyes a bit and [[[wait for it]]] the hidden 3D image is something to behold!

Or maybe it's just an ASCII shift-code for some Whitespace code. I'm not sure.

Not seeing it, but then, I've never found those things convincing. They're just a conspiracy between those with roughly matched binocular vision. It's always a sailboat, bit suspicious that. :wink:
Wait for it.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:49 am UTC

Vytron wrote:- Blindpost -

fatness wrote:Kinda getting boring, no? Yeah I know it is sacrilege but Randall needs to step it up a bit.

This.

I guess I created resistance towards the OTC. Bakc at the start, I looked with amazement "oh my sucking molpidog, the images aren't identical, there's a pixel change!! Get the images comparisons!"

Now there's a molpython running around in the ground, talking animals (they're chirps, obviously. They can only say their names, like in Pokémon), interaction with Megball and Cuegan with them, a bird feeding its offspring.

All that is very eventful and my old self would jump in joy and be amazed.

My present self just says "meh" and wonders why, with all the power Randall has (seriously, some people worship Great Lord Randall because, he not only has the power to change the characters' lives on the OTC, he's literally, creating their lives), why can't we get stuff like this? Seems like wasted effort and resources.

The OTT on the other hand remains as strong as ever!

I think he wants to keep a smooth flow. If there were massive swings in the story it would get tediouser quickerer. Steady as she goes.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:51 am UTC

spamjam wrote:NOIMNOTGOINGTODODRINKONG

They're washing their faces where they touched in the Fall.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:55 am UTC

vvn wrote:A friend just walked up to read what I was looking at on the web. He then looked at me and said "I don't understand a word of this! What's going on? Is Molpy even a word?" (If only it had been a post about the foam maiden, and S&M punishment...)

This reminds me of a question I wanted to ask y'all of youse. Does anyone here know anyone else here irl? Do you think you would enjoy <this> more or less if your real life friends were here?

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:57 am UTC

Ace wrote:Not seeing it, but then, I've never found those things convincing. They're just a conspiracy between those with roughly matched binocular vision. It's always a sailboat, bit suspicious that. :wink:

Ah, the old "sailboat conspiracy". I think that was debunked at http://www.snopes.com :D

Exodies wrote:This reminds me of a question I wanted to ask y'all of youse. Does anyone here know anyone else here irl? Do you think you would enjoy <this> more or less if your real life friends were here?

Hmmm, what is the IRL of which you speak? I know of no such phenomenon.
-- Charlie Grumbles

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:01 pm UTC

walk-ONG
-- Charlie Grumbles

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:02 pm UTC

DisappONGted with the lack of molpies.
Spoiler:
This'd be a good place for a RIBBIT, no?
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:03 pm UTC

Exodies wrote:This reminds me of a question I wanted to ask y'all of youse. Does anyone here know anyone else here irl? Do you think you would enjoy <this> more or less if your real life friends were here?

I don't think I know any of you in real life, but it's impossible to say for sure. I don't think it would affect my enjoyment of the thread if any of my real life friends were involved...

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:07 pm UTC

TheMinim wrote:

I don't think I know any of you in real life, but it's impossible to say for sure. I don't think it would affect my enjoyment of the thread if any of my real life friends were involved...

One of my sisters lurks on this thread <waves> but has never signed in. (She's the one, ironically, that told me this thread existed.)
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:13 pm UTC

TheMinim wrote:

I'm fairly sure I don't know any of the regular posters IRL, or even virtually Outside of the OTT.
If there are any people who know me, though, they'll certainly know it's me, since I use this handle and (unhatted) avatar all over the place, also for [heresy]Serious Business[/heresy]. (Unwise, I know.)
I think I'd enjoy it less, and certainly would post less freely, if I knew it'd be read by people I know on the Outside.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

akacat

Postby akacat » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:14 pm UTC

vvn wrote:My favorite theory (which I am sure is wrong, but I like it anyway) is that Randall found out that his wife is pregnant, and set out to do a comic the length of the pregnancy. A very cool present for mom and kid. The faster period of newpix was to catch up for starting later than the conception.

Blindposting to say that this is my new headcanon.

mikro2nd

Postby mikro2nd » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:20 pm UTC

mscha wrote:DisappONGted with the lack of molpies.
Spoiler:
This'd be a good place for a RIBBIT, no?

I thought I'd spotted some activity in the base of the reeds that were behind Cueball when he was drinking from the river.
reeds.png
reeds.png (1.61 KiB) Viewed 13856 times
More easily seen using GeekWagon's Excellent Widget.

There were also some pixel differences on (what I assume is) the surface of the water, but I took that to be water moving...
One world, one soul
Time pass, the river rolls

Ace

Postby Ace » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:23 pm UTC

Exodies wrote:
vvn wrote:A friend just walked up to read what I was looking at on the web. He then looked at me and said "I don't understand a word of this! What's going on? Is Molpy even a word?" (If only it had been a post about the foam maiden, and S&M punishment...)

This reminds me of a question I wanted to ask y'all of youse. Does anyone here know anyone else here irl? Do you think you would enjoy <this> more or less if your real life friends were here?

Someone 'outside' pointed me at the forums, but they stopped following along a while ago. It's a shame, I have no-one to talk to about the OTC/OTT when it's quiet. (Or when I'm quiet, which is almost all the time.)

I don't know why I don't talk in the OTT more, I guess it takes more than I thought to get past that 'outsider' feeling.
Wait for it.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:24 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
TheMinim wrote:I'm fairly sure I don't know any of the regular posters IRL, or even virtually Outside of the OTT.
If there are any people who know me, though, they'll certainly know it's me, since I use this handle and (unhatted) avatar all over the place, also for [heresy]Serious Business[/heresy]. (Unwise, I know.)
I think I'd enjoy it less, and certainly would post less freely, if I knew it'd be read by people I know on the Outside.

Excellent point. Let me give a heads-up/warning to all of the youngsters here (<20 outside years, say). Be careful what you say online in forums, even when you think you are anonymous.

Us old timers here who have established professional reputations tend to be careful and also to protect our TrueNames (as Fluffy advised). But in a connected world (and it is becoming increasingly connected) your unguarded words can come back to destroy your prospects as well as your reputation.

The news right now is filled with reports that the US government is hoovering up all communications, both online and off. The NSA is building a new data center so that this may continue. This is true even though our laws would seem to prevent this sort of thing.

But the bigger problem for the young, is not the government (yet), but the fact that universities and employers can take a dim view of "youthful indiscretions". So think before you hit submit. What would grandma think of this? Be kewl, protect your TrueName, but protect your reputation even more.

Ok, end of old codger talk. I'm gettin' pretty close to cake time, I think. (As well as getting pretty close to my birthyear npix - Not today, but soon.) So get ready for a party.

ETA. Actually GB is much more aggressive than the US in hoovering.
Last edited by charlie_grumbles on Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:30 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
-- Charlie Grumbles

jcmckeown

Postby jcmckeown » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:29 pm UTC

pelrigg wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:
jcmckeown wrote:I hope there isn't a dead moose or such up-stream. You never know when... say, is that maybe what the "steam bottle" was about?

Welcome to the madness. This is your first post to the One True Thread is it not?

How long have you been looking in on the One True Comic and here. (Out of curiosity.)

Edit to add
Okay, maybe the new Other Comic could be aimed at us.......

The Comic: ab initio
The Other Comics... I can't remember when.
The Thread: very little; but as for the first of my posts here, I'm not sure I've written it yet. But that one certainly came up earliest.

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:31 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
Spoiler:
This. Image

charlie_grumbles wrote:
Spoiler:
Hmmm...

Watching... In case you
really need to know. Don't do
anything "spyish".
FTFYq
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

Wildhound

Postby Wildhound » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:37 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:Since we are only a few here at the moment, I thought I'd entertain you with a puzzle. t

A man in desert nomadic lands was once quite rich, but died owning only 23 camels (camelMolpies). He had three sons and his will directed that the first son should receive half of his camels, the second one-third and the last son one-eigth of the camels.

The law was very strict in those days and the sons also wanted to honor their father's wishes without "dividing" any of the individual camels.

A wise person rode into their village on a camel and helped them find the answer. Are you that wise person?

Given how strict the law supposedly is, the sons should not be taking all 23 camels.

He has left 1/2 (12/24) to the first son. 1/3 (8/24) to the second son and 1/8 (3/24) to the third son. This means the sons are only due 23/24ths, or 95.8%, of the 23 camels. By dividing all of them, they are effectively stealing 1/24th of a camel which is not due to them.
Now and forever, a staunch TimeKeeper amongst heretics.

OTC Android Live Wallpaper

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:39 pm UTC

mikro2nd wrote:I thought I'd spotted some activity in the base of the reeds that were behind Cueball when he was drinking from the river.
reeds.png
More easily seen using GeekWagon's Excellent Widget.
There were also some pixel differences on (what I assume is) the surface of the water, but I took that to be water moving...

Here's a Tiny River animation based on my frame difference script's output:
There's indeed water movement, and, indeed, sometimes some molvement in the reeds. Those are all at water level, though, so I'm assuming that is simply the river¹⁰ as well.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

akacat

Postby akacat » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:40 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:Since we are only a few here at the moment, I thought I'd entertain you with a puzzle.

Just in trying to reconcile whether 1/2 + 1/3 + 1/8 (I didn't think it would, but I like to be sure about these things), I ended up with:

Spoiler:
12/24 + 8/24 + 3/24. 12+8+3 does not equal 24, but it does equal 23.

Perhaps that's good enough for their deceased father's wishes?

ETA: Ninja'd by Wildhound.
Last edited by akacat on Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:34 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:40 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:Since we are only a few here at the moment, I thought I'd entertain you with a puzzle.
Spoiler:

Avoiding the rather obvious solution several approaches seem possible.
  • "No. I am not."
  • No, but I know the local tax handler and I tell them so. The brothers in their wisdom decide to hide the death of their beloved father to be spared of inheritance tax.
  • The brother's mother died a few years ago and the old man married again; he took a very beautiful wife in her mid-twenties. I pursued the woman to act bitchy for a while so her step-sons decided to see her as a camel, too. Every brother gets his share of camels - since nobody picked the two-legged one, I take her with me1.
  • I tell them to wait. Since the camels are well-fed and healthy, they do what camels do and become more of them. I advise to split the herd as soon as it reaches a camel-head count of 240; they agree to it, thereby post-poning the issue to their sons (which rises a few other problems, the youngest will have seven sons by then).
  • I gift them a barometer. For inspiration.

1... and sold her for 24 camels.2
1... and had three sons of my own.2
1... and forced the liberal government to enforce a handover of her statutory share.2
1... and live happily ever after. 2
2Pick one. Or all, correct order provided.
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:41 pm UTC

Wildhound wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:Since we are only a few here at the moment, I thought I'd entertain you with a puzzle. t

Given how strict the law supposedly is, the sons should not be taking all 23 camels.

He has left 1/2 (12/24) to the first son. 1/3 (8/24) to the second son and 1/8 (3/24) to the third son. This means the sons are only due 23/24ths, or 95.8%, of the 23 camels. By dividing all of them, they are effectively stealing 1/24th of a camel which is not due to them.

Close, but no
Spoiler:
800px-Cigar_from_nicaragua.jpg
Cigar

ETA: akacat, same answer
higgs-boson has come closest, but not quite there.
Last edited by charlie_grumbles on Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:43 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
-- Charlie Grumbles

akacat

Re: Attempting...

Postby akacat » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:42 pm UTC

hbarsquared wrote:Long time lurker, first time poster, everyone.

I've read ever comic, starting from Barrel - Part 1. The first one I discovered was sometime in... 2009?

Holy crap, this "quote-unquote" Time thing is still going on...

Every other day I take a look at (the site that updates with every new image, but because I'm a new user I cannot link it, perhaps it's aubronwood) to find the story still unfolding.

Panel 1900, is it?

At any given point in this constantly evolving storyline, I feel I am only a quarter of the way through the whole thing, the ultimate vision. For how many months/years/decades will Randall take this thing?

I've skimmed snippets of the thread. *sigh* Now to travel back in Time to the beginning...

See you in the Future...

ETA: Retracting the mention of double-posting. Just tossing a first post forward here, folks. Nothing else to see.
Last edited by akacat on Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:35 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:44 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:Excellent point. Let me give a heads-up/warning to all of the youngsters here (<20 outside years, say). Be careful what you say online in forums, even when you think you are anonymous.

Don't worry, I try to be. Now. Although it's an important message regardless of age. I also don't tend to appreciate stuff I know to be careful of, but the point is a serious one. And it's likely people have been refused jobs and stuff because of what they've said on the Internet.

Err.....

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:46 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
Spoiler:

I do not think I am fully de-coma'd this morning. I glanced at today's OtherComic. Then I saw this and for a moment I thought, perhaps I had missed today's OtherComic and was quite excited that the GLR had finally recognized us. But no, I am just not fully de-coma'd. I blame this tropical storm which brings much rain and grey skies.

Wait. This is like math, is it not? It is, indeed, much too early for such things. I shall think of it at a later time. When I am not at risk of recomaing.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

Wildhound

Postby Wildhound » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:46 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
Wildhound wrote:

Close, but no
Spoiler:
800px-Cigar_from_nicaragua.jpg

... What I said is correct.

I mean the answer you want is most likely something along the lines of
Spoiler:
"Add my camel to the group, give the first son 12, the second son 8 and the third son 3. Oh look, I get my camel back"
. But that's actually not right, since:

1. The still don't have the correct proportions of the 23 camels.
2. They have taken 1/24th of a camel which was not bequeathed to them.
Now and forever, a staunch TimeKeeper amongst heretics.

OTC Android Live Wallpaper

charlie_grumbles

Re: 1190: "Time" A hint

Postby charlie_grumbles » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:47 pm UTC

I should add, re Camelmolpys, that the society is a generous one.

ETA: Yes, Wildhound, yes. Even without the hint.

Think a a bit more about why it works.
-- Charlie Grumbles

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:50 pm UTC

No, I rode in on a Can-Am. But I did help them find the answer. They got drunk and lost it again.
resume
Former OTTer

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”