1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

charlie_grumbles

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby charlie_grumbles » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:01 pm UTC

fhorn wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:
TheMinim wrote:Blimey.

Speaking Liverpudlian now? A clue. On it Clouseau!

Clouseau: Watching.

ETA:
pink-panther.jpg

fhorn wrote:This deserves further inspection. Better call in Inspectors Gadget and Clouseau.

Thanks, CG.

Hmmm. Don't you mean PDCG?

Oh and it's currently Pope PDCG!
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:03 pm UTC

sleep-ONG
-- Charlie Grumbles

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:05 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:sleep-ONG
Spoiler:

It seems we're preparing to enter wipend.
Or maybe, LaPetite4bwunf9w\7bg\efm~zrs\s8776a\egf9wkr´,wgjlewg
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:09 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
fhorn wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:

Clouseau: Watching.

ETA:
pink-panther.jpg

fhorn wrote:This deserves further inspection. Better call in Inspectors Gadget and Clouseau.

Thanks, CG.

Hmmm. Don't you mean PDCG?

Oh and it's currently Pope PDCG!

Thanks, Your Holiness!
Also, due to ESE (Extremely Slow Editing) and SC[G]WTAN (Seeing Characters [Gadget] Where There Are None), I went back and edited the post to which you replied so now that post doesn't exist and now I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT..... My turn to break the OTT.
But you're still Your Holiness.
PD, though???
Generally clueless today. Will go back to happily riding in the back seat with my head out the window, tongue lolling in the breeze.
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:15 pm UTC

Strangely sea-ish Image for some reason, even though there weren't any more NPs than usual...
Vytron wrote:- Blindpost -
Spoiler:
fatness wrote:Kinda getting boring, no? Yeah I know it is sacrilege but Randall needs to step it up a bit.

This.

I guess I created resistance towards the OTC. Bakc at the start, I looked with amazement "oh my sucking molpidog, the images aren't identical, there's a pixel change!! Get the images comparisons!"

Now there's a molpython running around in the ground, talking animals (they're chirps, obviously. They can only say their names, like in Pokémon), interaction with Megball and Cuegan with them, a bird feeding its offspring.

All that is very eventful and my old self would jump in joy and be amazed.

My present self just says "meh" and wonders why, with all the power Randall has (seriously, some people worship Great Lord Randall because, he not only has the power to change the characters' lives on the OTC, he's literally, creating their lives), why can't we get stuff like this? Seems like wasted effort and resources.

The OTT on the other hand remains as strong as ever!

It may sometimes seem slow and boring but I think that's a part of what keeps it so compelling. Even though on the surface it appears to be a simple, idyllic story of sandcastles and a pleasant walk, it's full of mysteries that are only subtly, tantalisingly hinted at throughout: Why they know so little of the world, who is LaPetite and what is she doing, the strange markings on the tree... and the fact it's all being revealed so slowly and that most of it is just simple, idyllic pleasantness is what keeps it so interesting, weird and gripping and keeps us "waiting for it".

Valarya wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:Sorry, I figured most people would get the reference, and for those who do, it would be even funnier without the caption.

Damnit. I tend to avoid clicking on all TVTropes links, but yours got me b/c there was no warning. :? And it reminded me of how much fun it is, when someone is trying to ask if the punchline is correct, to whip out this video in response.

Sorry for lack of warning, but that's why you should mouse over links before clicking them! ;) And yes, I love using that clip too, or referencing Fouad from Family Guy.

TheMinim wrote:<snip> I'm not sure how many posts make a newpage

40. I counted when figuring out when I had to post to do my Newpage of the Beast thing :P

charlie_grumbles wrote:Since we are only a few here at the moment, I thought I'd entertain you with a puzzle.
Spoiler:
A man in desert nomadic lands was once quite rich, but died owning only 23 camels (camelMolpies). He had three sons and his will directed that the first son should receive half of his camels, the second one-third and the last son one-eigth of the camels.

The law was very strict in those days and the sons also wanted to honor their father's wishes without "dividing" any of the individual camels.

They searched long and hard for a solution, without success.

A wise person rode into their village on a camel and helped them find the answer. Are you that wise person?

Reading later in the thread I see this has been answered (grr) but I figured it out myself (quite easily) before reading ahead so will still post it...
Spoiler:
the wise person's extra camel makes 24 - so 12 (half) +8 (third) +3 (eighth) = 23. Then the wise person takes back his own camel.

Exodies wrote:This reminds me of a question I wanted to ask y'all of youse. Does anyone here know anyone else here irl? Do you think you would enjoy <this> more or less if your real life friends were here?

Nope... I think one of my friends sometimes posts on the xkcd forums but haven't seen any sign of him in the OTT... If anyone I know does find me here, most people think I'm pretty weird anyway, I'm sure if they saw this thread and found me here their belief would simply be reaffirmed :P. That is, if they figure out it's me though... I only use this avatar here, but I use this name in other places... I suppose if anyone took the time to listen to the various songs I've posted they might recognise my voice :P ...hey, that makes me realise, I'm probably one of the only OTTers whose actual voice people have heard! Only other one I can think of is jovialbard with his BlitzGirl song from way way back...
I was also thinking earlier how cool it would be to actually meet people from here in real life the heretical outside world :D

HES wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:If there's ever a Portal movie, it would be awesome if it said "Starring Ellen McLain as GLaDOS, Summer Glau as Chell, and Summer Glau's feet as Chell's feet." Because reasons.

You mean like this? This is pretty good, too.

Not a movie, but this is reminding me of a Portal themed rollercoaster I once designed. It was an indoor ride making use of duplicate rooms to make it seem like the cars were flying through portals and various other cool effects. And throughout the queue line riders would be introduced to the world and the idea that they're "test subjects". It was pretty awesome. If only I had awesome skills in RCT3 or something to make it...

charlie_grumbles wrote:

Since when was "blimey" specifically Liverpudlian? I thought it was just generally English...

azule wrote:
StormAngel wrote:Thanks to Yappobiscuits for the molpy video;

% Beesnake or beesnakes - which is the more correct plural form? I've seen both used in the OTT. Are beesnake pluralized like fish and sheep?[/size]
Singular plural, yes. (First form.) Also, finally saw vid....that is insane. I think it's actually a bit better than the original. :)

Eep, thanks :) Image
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:16 pm UTC

StormAngel wrote:Finally had an idea for a Song of Time today.
I'd like to present to you: Wait In Time

To the tune of 'Back In Time' by Huey Lewis and The News

Spoiler:
(the parts in brackets are extra Background Vocals)

Tell me, Cuegan
where are you trekking this time?
Is this the river, (the river is small)
or NewPic 99?
All I wanted to see
I 'wait for it' patiently
(need t' wait quicker now)

So take me away, I'll coma fine
But it's all related, see
I'll be back in time

Gotta get back in Time

(ketchup with Time, Time)
Blitz to your future,
posting walls of quoted quotes
Better use fcbvyref, [spoilers]
Raptorchirps sing louder notes
Please can I, have a hat?
Molpies ate our cake again

(molpy molp- )
So send me to coma, I don't sleep
But the Pope makes his decree,
I've a time to keep

Gotta get back to Time
Gotta ketchup through Time
Get me back in Time

*likable imaginative-spinning epic guitar solo*

Gotta get back in time (back-back in time)
Gotta just 'wait for it' (for Time)
Get back, get back

Get back, Megball

Gotta get back to Time
Gotta ketchup with Time
Get back, get back

*whispers fading out*
Wait for it
wait for it
wait for it...

Suggestions for improvements are most welcome :D
I gotta go coma now

New song! :mrgreen: Wonderful! :mrgreen:
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:19 pm UTC

fhorn wrote:Thanks, Your Holiness!

Eeek. Anything but that. No. Nooooo. Noooooooooo.
fhorn wrote:
PD, though???
Generally clueless today. Will go back to happily riding in the back seat with my head out the window, tongue lolling in the breeze.

Fluffy returns to enlighten you. You either haven't read the ENTIRE OTT, or you have FORGOTTEN parts. Either is HERESY. Chocolate for fhorn.

Spoiler:
pd.png
Profesor Doctor Charlie_Grumbles sweet Fluffy
-- Charlie Grumbles

partingLance

Postby partingLance » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:23 pm UTC

(Blind post from NP 790, as I need to ketchup).

BlueCrab wrote:You know you're Waiting for It when:
-You go to the beach and ogle sand castles innstead of bodies.
-You either refuse to speak twice in a row, or don't say anything for multiple newpix but then talk for at least 10 minutes, on five different subjects.
-You've almost called someone a heretic for using Outside Time and distance units, and it wasn't someone on the OTT.
-You've had to refrain from pelting people with small sugar-coated candies of varying flavors when they imply that you're wasting your Time.
-You find yourself pondering the possible Madagascar/Africa/Cassinite projection/other justification for all animal molpy life you see.
-You're at the store getting curtains and guesstimate the size in cues.
-You covertly examine every person you see wearing a hat, wondering if it's a BuffyGirlTM Original.R

ETA What else?

You park next to a motorcycle, recognize the make and model, and your only thought is: "... Ninja'd!"
StratPlayer wrote:And at this very moment, someone on the Isle of Wight named Bungalo Bill is listening to the 'splat' made from using their family album to squash a beetle, that had ran, helter-skelter, straight for the wild honey pie made by his dear wife Prudence...

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:29 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
fhorn wrote:Thanks, Your Holiness!

Eeek. Anything but that. No. Nooooo. Noooooooooo.
fhorn wrote:
PD, though???

Fluffy returns to enlighten you. You either haven't read the ENTIRE OTT, or you have FORGOTTEN parts. Either is HERESY. Chocolate for fhorn.

Spoiler:
pd.png

FLUFFY!!! I've missed you, girl! *makes affectionate hug motion, keeping wary distance*
Yes, have read; yes, have forgotten.
The chocolate is just awful. More punishment, please, Pope Professor Doctor.
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder

mikro2nd

Postby mikro2nd » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:34 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:Camel derivatives. Yay.
Wait for the crash.

The alternative would be:
Spoiler:
Son 1 gets 3 Camels,
Son 2 gets 2 Camels,
Son 3 gets 1 Camel;

The Lawyer takes the rest.
"To: Consideration of Intestate Estate and Disposition Thereof: 17 Camels."
One world, one soul
Time pass, the river rolls

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:39 pm UTC

fhorn wrote:The chocolate is just awful.

Probably Cadbury's.
Go find something nice from Belgium, say. Or even San Francisco.
-- Charlie Grumbles

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:40 pm UTC

Saw this on the unnecessary quotes blog. We need a Canadian to save us

Spoiler:

Don't know why it's so effing big.

ETSI (Spoiler It)
Last edited by Exodies on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:55 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:41 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
Spoiler:
Valarya wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:Sorry, I figured most people would get the reference, and for those who do, it would be even funnier without the caption.

Damnit. I tend to avoid clicking on all TVTropes links, but yours got me b/c there was no warning. :? And it reminded me of how much fun it is, when someone is trying to ask if the punchline is correct, to whip out this video in response.

Sorry for lack of warning, but that's why you should mouse over links before clicking them! ;) And yes, I love using that clip too, or referencing Fouad from Family Guy.

I typically always, always, hover and check the URL before clicking. But with the context of "IT'S A TRAP!" I, for some reason, thought it was going to be another funny picture. Learned my lesson there. ;)

HES wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:If there's ever a Portal movie, it would be awesome if it said "Starring Ellen McLain as GLaDOS, Summer Glau as Chell, and Summer Glau's feet as Chell's feet." Because reasons.

You mean like this?

OH MY RANDALL..... :shock: how have I never seen this before?! Image

ETA:
You know I have Portal (and the OTT) on the brain when I get this email from the DBAs during release last night (work crap) and think to myself "THE PORTAL ISN'T OPENING?" Heh
Database Admins wrote:The port is NOT open. You’ll have to put in a ticket to Network Support to have them open this for you during one of their upcoming maintenance windows.
Last edited by Valarya on Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:16 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:43 pm UTC

I return to find everybody posting horrible combinations of parenthesis?

What have I DONE?! :shock:

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:53 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:

Probably Cadbury's.

Dear PPDCG,
I have been libelously misquoted. You left out the far more important half: more punishment, please. We heretics deserve to be pelted with awful, awful chocolate and to be forced into a comfy, comfy chair to contemplate our sins.

That's another USA vs. The World argument we used to have: who has the best chocolate? Just couldn't defend US mass-produced chocolate, except for Nestle's chocolate chips for cookies.
(I did bake chocolate chip cookies (Nestle's) for my husband's co-workers when we lived in London; he said they loved them, I said they were sucking up to him b/c he was the boss. He made a VERY sad face and said, ".... is that why they've been laughing at my jokes? - and here I was thinking I was getting funnier!")

I like the chocolates I found in Bruges; and there's a nice little chocolate shop in Santa Fe. Mmm, chile and chocolate............

HES

Postby HES » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:00 pm UTC

fhorn wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:

Probably Cadbury's.

Dear PPDCG,
I have been libelously misquoted. You left out the far more important half: more punishment, please. We heretics deserve to be pelted with awful, awful chocolate and to be forced into a comfy, comfy chair to contemplate our sins.

That's another USA vs. The World argument we used to have: who has the best chocolate? Just couldn't defend US mass-produced chocolate, except for Nestle's chocolate chips for cookies.
(I did bake chocolate chip cookies (Nestle's) for my husband's co-workers when we lived in London; he said they loved them, I said they were sucking up to him b/c he was the boss. He made a VERY sad face and said, ".... is that why they've been laughing at my jokes? - and here I was thinking I was getting funnier!")

I like the chocolates I found in Bruges; and there's a nice little chocolate shop in Santa Fe. Mmm, chile and chocolate............

I was about to contest the implication that Cadbury's was awful. To be fair though, I suspect American folk don't understand British chocolate just as English folk don't understand American chocolate, and to each their own. Except Belgian is unquestionably the best.
He/Him/His Image

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:00 pm UTC

similar-ONG
-- Charlie Grumbles

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:03 pm UTC

Ace wrote:
cellocgw wrote:
Spoiler:
mscha wrote:[evil]
)))}()){[{[(}{{]([]])({[})()}}(]{{[{)({][]{[])[}[[[(({]{((}()([)}]])(]}(][(})[{}
[})]}{{]][}[{]]}}{[])[}{[]][]]({((){[([[{[[({)]]}){{[})})(}){{()})[}(][]]((}(){]
][](())(][}[}}][]){[)([{}[]{}{{{)}}[}[[[)]}{{((]}[({[){})])[]{({])([){))])){(}]]
}]]({]){})([((]{{[{{(()){]][)[{[}}[[(([}()]{[[[([}}[)([})[()()}][[]][)}]{}[}{]}[
([(}](])(][}[}}{([{)({]{)]{}))[[[[[])}]}](((})[{[){{)()}[}()[}]}})]{{[{}]{)((](}
}][]{]]([(}[[{[}]{)[)})]}}}](){}[}][[)[)((({})}[}([)(([)]{)]}]]([(({([}]](){}([]
)(]]{([()){][[]([][]}[]][{(})}([]]())][]([[{(](}]{}}({[[[}{])([())]{]}))[)((()({
())[{({](]())}{{](][[{][)[})]{}{){[[}[])[{[)}][)]}]}]}][())({[()[{]({]]}}()[]}}[
{())){[]}[[{(()(]{[)}](({([}({]({[]}(}]}})(]}}))]{{([(]]{{}[[}(})}][][[]}])]][()
]][]}]}{((}}}{[{)[]}]}[{[}{[}}({))[]{)())}}{)[}({(])([}[)}]]}(])[]})){}[})}{(}{]
{][{[{][)}([)[]({){(]([}}})])}(]])(][)[[([{{))(}))}}[{[(}}[)(}][)]{[{(]}[{]({]{(
(]))}[]})({)[{[({{[[{[{}{))[}(}]([[]([)}{)([]((})([}[(}{}[]})(]{[{})(}{{]))]()](
)()([}}[{{{][}({{{)](]]}})[}]){))}{[)))[)(([)}[))}[{{}({[{)[])([}[}{[[[[]]({)[{(
]}{[){[{]{[{[(}{]{}(}(([}(]](((({]}})()[)[){(}))}[)]{([})}{[}}}}){]{{}(()())][})
)]{([([{{])}){)))(](][[{)](})()))}{]{](){(]){]]{{}(){))}}){{)]})]}}{[]{)}(){}){(
}]](}}(}[][[)))}(]{})]]()}(([]][]()([}{[))[][)]){[{()[)(][]}]]}{(}({}({])[)}[)[[
{[{(}[){((]))])}[[[][]}}[{{(])]]()}]]}](]}[))(]]}))){{{()}[)](]{{()[]{}{[([()(}(
{)]]})}({([{]]({(}}((}}]){({[]}()[(}{](((}}{)[[(}[(]]]]{[)[{})[{(])[}{]}}](}{)][
{][((]}))[)[([{}}}})((]}])[((]}})]]})[)[)]}(]}})(}(){)[)}))[(}{([[[{)}}{(})]}[()
{]{{[}[[{)[({[]{(}}{)}{{{]{}]}{{{]})}{]{)}({((){[))]](}[(}[]}}(}[[)){]])}}[]))({
[/evil]
FTFM... Image

Wow -- if you stare at that, cross your eyes a bit and [[[wait for it]]] the hidden 3D image is something to behold!

Or maybe it's just an ASCII shift-code for some Whitespace code. I'm not sure.

Not seeing it, but then, I've never found those things convincing. They're just a conspiracy between those with roughly matched binocular vision. It's always a sailboat, bit suspicious that. :wink:

Code: Select all

[)}]{(></\^[)}]{(></\^[)}]{(></\^[)}]{(></\^
}]{(></\^[)}]{(></\^[)}]{(></\^[)}]{(></\^[)
]{(></\^[)}]{(></\^[)}]{(></\^[)}]{(></\^[)}
/\^[)}]{(></\^[)}]{(></\^[)}]{(></\^[)}]{(><
[)}]{(></\^[)}]{(></\^[)}]{(<-/\^[)}]{(<-/\^
[)}]{(></\^[)}]{(></\^[)}]{(</\(^[)}]{(</\(^
[)}]{(></\^[)}]{(></\^[)}]{(</\^[])}]{(</\^[
[)}]{(></\^[)}]{(></\^[)}]{(</\^[){}]{(</\^[
[)}]{(></\^[)}]{(></\^[)}]{(</\^[)}|]{(</\^[
[)}]{(></\^[)}]{(></\^[)}]{(</\^[)}]/{(</\^[
[)}]{(></\^[)}]{(></\^[)}]{(</\^[)}]{}(</\^[
[)}]{(></\^[)}]{(></\^[)}]{(<//\^[)}]{(<//\^
[)}]{(></\^[)}]{</\^[)}]{</\^[)}]{</\^[)}]{(
[)}]{(></\[)}]{(><\[)}]{(><\[)}]{(></\[)}]{(
[)}]{(></[)}]{(></[)}]{(></[)}]{(></[)}]{(><
[)}]{(><[)}]{(><[)}]{(><[)}]{(><[)}]{(><[)}]
[)}]{(>[)}]{(>[)}]{(>[)}]{(>[)}]{(>[)}]{(>[)
[)}]{([)}]{([)}]{([)}]{([)}]{([)}]{([)}]{([)

Use the "divergent-eyes" method to see it
Last edited by taixzo on Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:07 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, Vytron, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:04 pm UTC

Exodies wrote:Saw this on the unnecessary quotes blog. We need a Canadian to save us
Spoiler:

Or Desmond Hume.
Selecting new quote…

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:06 pm UTC

HES wrote:I was about to contest the implication that Cadbury's was awful. To be fair though, I suspect American folk don't understand British chocolate just as English folk don't understand American chocolate, and to each their own. Except Belgian is unquestionably the best.

The Brits have some strange taste. Witness Full English Breakfast with fried?? tomatoes. But I'll give a shout-out to Stilton. Yumm. Preferably old an stinky.

The Cadbury ref was gratuitous, I realize, since there are many here from the Isles. But anything less than strong dark chocolate loses something in the translation from the Brazilian. But chills in chocolate. YES.

lessee now: "I likes my women like I likes my chocolate: strong, dark, and spicy"

ETA there is a movie by Dušan Makavejev called Chocolate "Sweet Movie" that is hard to find on You Tube. Not for the "pure" of heart, though. Bit NSFW. Tasteful though. :twisted:
-- Charlie Grumbles

waveney

Postby waveney » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:26 pm UTC

Moply fly on the right... Mosquito? Moplysquito?

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:30 pm UTC

I could get some Cadbury's if I wanted to, but if we're going by mass production Galaxy is great. If we're going by shops, Thorntons is okay but Hotel Chocolat rules. I wish there were a Hotel Chocolat near to where I live.

I've never had Belgian chocolate. If I ever get the chance then I'll probably take it willingly. As long as it hasn't got nuts in. I hate nuts.
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:32 pm UTC

xpatiate wrote:Yes I definitely agree that their language seems to be deliberately limited: if not by the ten hundred most used words (which doesn't even allow "river" or "sea"), then maybe some other system. Clunky phrases like "steam bottle" or "things from people in the hills" particularly give that impression. But then, a word like "ford" is not especially common, and can easily be described in simpler terms ("place to get across").
Thank You! I never looked up ford (nor fjord) and now I know what it means. yay!! lol.

Ontopix: I agree that there's a stiltedness of their vocabulary, but I think it's possible for the other words to be used because of their circle of interest/usefulness. I guess it could be called "expanded vocabulary", much how those with an interest in movies would use more movie terms yet not know the words a scientist uses. So, I modifiedly agree!

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:33 pm UTC

waveney wrote:Moply fly on the right... Mosquito? Moplysquito?

Beesnake!
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:39 pm UTC

azule wrote:
xpatiate wrote:Yes I definitely agree that their language seems to be deliberately limited: if not by the ten hundred most used words (which doesn't even allow "river" or "sea"), then maybe some other system. Clunky phrases like "steam bottle" or "things from people in the hills" particularly give that impression. But then, a word like "ford" is not especially common, and can easily be described in simpler terms ("place to get across").

Thank You! I never looked up ford (nor fjord) and now I know what it means. yay!! lol.

Ontopix: I agree that there's a stiltedness of their vocabulary, but I think it's possible for the other words to be used because of their circle of interest/usefulness. I guess it could be called "expanded vocabulary", much how those with an interest in movies would use more movie terms yet not know the words a scientist uses. So, I modifiedly agree!

You mean, like "trope"? (I still don't even know how to translate it into my native language)
Selecting new quote…

Ace

Postby Ace » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:42 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
Spoiler:
pd.png

(Image of Fluffy was here. Text: Professor Doctor)

"Professor?"

taixzo wrote:
Spoiler:
Ace wrote:
cellocgw wrote:
)))}()){[{[(}{{]([]])({[})()}}(]{{[{)({][]{[])[}[[[(({]{((}()([)}]])(]}(][(})[{}
[})]}{{]][}[{]]}}{[])[}{[]][]]({((){[([[{[[({)]]}){{[})})(}){{()})[}(][]]((}(){]
][](())(][}[}}][]){[)([{}[]{}{{{)}}[}[[[)]}{{((]}[({[){})])[]{({])([){))])){(}]]
}]]({]){})([((]{{[{{(()){]][)[{[}}[[(([}()]{[[[([}}[)([})[()()}][[]][)}]{}[}{]}[
([(}](])(][}[}}{([{)({]{)]{}))[[[[[])}]}](((})[{[){{)()}[}()[}]}})]{{[{}]{)((](}
}][]{]]([(}[[{[}]{)[)})]}}}](){}[}][[)[)((({})}[}([)(([)]{)]}]]([(({([}]](){}([]
)(]]{([()){][[]([][]}[]][{(})}([]]())][]([[{(](}]{}}({[[[}{])([())]{]}))[)((()({
())[{({](]())}{{](][[{][)[})]{}{){[[}[])[{[)}][)]}]}]}][())({[()[{]({]]}}()[]}}[
{())){[]}[[{(()(]{[)}](({([}({]({[]}(}]}})(]}}))]{{([(]]{{}[[}(})}][][[]}])]][()
]][]}]}{((}}}{[{)[]}]}[{[}{[}}({))[]{)())}}{)[}({(])([}[)}]]}(])[]})){}[})}{(}{]
{][{[{][)}([)[]({){(]([}}})])}(]])(][)[[([{{))(}))}}[{[(}}[)(}][)]{[{(]}[{]({]{(
(]))}[]})({)[{[({{[[{[{}{))[}(}]([[]([)}{)([]((})([}[(}{}[]})(]{[{})(}{{]))]()](
)()([}}[{{{][}({{{)](]]}})[}]){))}{[)))[)(([)}[))}[{{}({[{)[])([}[}{[[[[]]({)[{(
]}{[){[{]{[{[(}{]{}(}(([}(]](((({]}})()[)[){(}))}[)]{([})}{[}}}}){]{{}(()())][})
)]{([([{{])}){)))(](][[{)](})()))}{]{](){(]){]]{{}(){))}}){{)]})]}}{[]{)}(){}){(
}]](}}(}[][[)))}(]{})]]()}(([]][]()([}{[))[][)]){[{()[)(][]}]]}{(}({}({])[)}[)[[
{[{(}[){((]))])}[[[][]}}[{{(])]]()}]]}](]}[))(]]}))){{{()}[)](]{{()[]{}{[([()(}(
{)]]})}({([{]]({(}}((}}]){({[]}()[(}{](((}}{)[[(}[(]]]]{[)[{})[{(])[}{]}}](}{)][
{][((]}))[)[([{}}}})((]}])[((]}})]]})[)[)]}(]}})(}(){)[)}))[(}{([[[{)}}{(})]}[()
{]{{[}[[{)[({[]{(}}{)}{{{]{}]}{{{]})}{]{)}({((){[))]](}[(}[]}}(}[[)){]])}}[]))({
[/evil]
FTFM... Image

Wow -- if you stare at that, cross your eyes a bit and [[[wait for it]]] the hidden 3D image is something to behold!

Or maybe it's just an ASCII shift-code for some Whitespace code. I'm not sure.

Not seeing it, but then, I've never found those things convincing. They're just a conspiracy between those with roughly matched binocular vision. It's always a sailboat, bit suspicious that. :wink:

I see three vertical lines, some diagonals below that? I am seriously bad at 3D images. I can't do cross-eyed, I can't do stare straight ahead. *shrug* I can actually see a 3D movie in 3D, with those polarised glasses, a fact I didn't realise until I was unable to track down a 2D showing of the Hobbit.i Bi-colour 3D glasses just give me a headache.

iYeah, I'm slow to see movies. Still haven't seen the latest Star Trek and I think there's a new Iron Man thing also?
Wait for it.

HES

Postby HES » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:46 pm UTC

I've made a steam group, primarily for my side project but also for anyone that wants to kill time between the newpix (whilst, of course, in no way attempting to replace this thread)

XKCD-OTT

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to hand myself in to the inquisition
He/Him/His Image

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:52 pm UTC

Ace wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:
Spoiler:
pd.png

(Image of Fluffy was here. Text: Professor Doctor)

"Professor?"

Yep. Retired now (mostly) but 40 yrs in the saddle. Trained in the Maths, but taught comp sci. mostly.
-- Charlie Grumbles

FullOfIt

Postby FullOfIt » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:58 pm UTC

HES wrote:To be fair though, I suspect American folk don't understand British chocolate just as English folk don't understand American chocolate, and to each their own. Except Belgian is unquestionably the best.

Ouch, you hit my sore spot! I'm afraid I have to disagree. Belgium has decent chocolate, but their marketing is decidedly better than the product itself, which is quite far from the best. I have tried quite a lot of different brands and my conclusion is this: Switzerland has quite good chocolate (I can recommend Felchlin), but the king is clearly France. Michel Cluizel is rather good, but the one that consistently beats any other brand with ease is Valrhona. Particularly their Single estate brands, but all their chocolate is without equal.

Please not that I'm talking about pure (dark) chocolate here, not pralines.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:00 pm UTC

beesnakebuzz-ONG closer

FullOfIt wrote:
HES wrote:To be fair though, I suspect American folk don't understand British chocolate just as English folk don't understand American chocolate, and to each their own. Except Belgian is unquestionably the best.

Ouch, you hit my sore spot! I'm afraid I have to disagree. Belgium has decent chocolate, but their marketing is decidedly better than the product itself, which is quite far from the best. I have tried quite a lot of different brands and my conclusion is this: Switzerland has quite good chocolate (I can recommend Felchlin), but the king is clearly France. Michel Cluizel is rather good, but the one that consistently beats any other brand with ease is Valrhona. Particularly their Single estate brands, but all their chocolate is without equal.

Hard to argue with the choices. But I find Valrhona a bit too "waxy". It is too perfect. For looking at and admiring, not for eating. It's in the tempering, I think. But if I were making chocolate volcano cakes and had nothing but Valrhona.... Well watch it (and me) erupt.
-- Charlie Grumbles

FullOfIt

Postby FullOfIt » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:05 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:

This reminds me of an entry in the 2013 spring JS1k (1kb javascript) competition:
http://js1k.com/2013-spring/demo/1386
Warning: This and the other demos can be quite time-consuming to watch! Because they are awesome!

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:11 pm UTC

HES wrote:I've made a steam group, primarily for my side project but also for anyone that wants to kill time between the newpix (whilst, of course, in no way attempting to replace this thread)

XKCD-OTT

I want to join. But alas, I've not logged into steam since my gaming machine konked out. :( And no longer do I have such a machine to run any such games. I am sad. :cry:
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:15 pm UTC

FullOfIt wrote:

Valrhona - top choice for baking.
My favorite Swiss chocolate: Suchard. MMMMMMMMMMMMMM........
suchard.jpg
suchard.jpg (3.49 KiB) Viewed 13377 times

charlie_grumbles wrote:lessee now: "I likes my women like I likes my chocolate: strong, dark, and spicy"

"I like my men like I like my chocolate: strong, dark and bitter"

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:17 pm UTC

[/evil]
FTFM... Image
I don't like the open-closed thingies issue, but I never fix them...but I needed to do this^. *sigh of relief* Thank you, mscha, they were even (in line) the whole time!

cellocgw wrote:Or maybe it's just an ASCII shift-code for some Whitespace code. I'm not sure.
Hmm, has anyone created a programming language that used brackets in reverse order? Hah, if not, maybe someone will!
Last edited by azule on Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:20 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:19 pm UTC

fhorn wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:lessee now: "I likes my women like I likes my chocolate: strong, dark, and spicy"

Hmmm. Acting, or tasting?
Jus' askin'

Sadly, Suchard is now part of Kraft, so who can predict it's future.
-- Charlie Grumbles

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:25 pm UTC

mscha wrote:Image

Don't spoiler that beauty. Awesome filkscreen. :)

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:26 pm UTC

mscha wrote:

Beesnake!

I had a tab open to reply to waveney with the word you took right out of my mouth. :mrgreen: Beesnake!

HES wrote:I've made a steam group, primarily for my side project but also for anyone that wants to kill time between the newpix (whilst, of course, in no way attempting to replace this thread)

XKCD-OTT

I wish it weren't blocked at work! But very cool... I'll have to join it when I get home. :)
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:29 pm UTC

No! NO! This is why you don't sleep next to slow-moving bodies of water, Cuegan!

HES wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:See you in a fewpix.

This has a really nice ring to it. Let me flatter you (or whoever coined the phrase whilst I wasn't looking) by stealing it...

Flatter Steal away! :D I'm kind of surprised no one else has used it yet.

StormAngel wrote:Finally had an idea for a Song of Time today.
I'd like to present to you: Wait In Time <snip>

Great Scott! This is awesomeful!

Earthling on Mars wrote:I return to find everybody posting horrible combinations of parenthesis?

What have I DONE?! :shock:

*pats* Sometimes these things can't be helped... *flashes back to the the Bag Incident of Newpage 467*
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:29 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
fhorn wrote:

Hmmm. Acting, or tasting?
Jus' askin'

:twisted:

Sadly, Suchard is now part of Kraft, so who can predict it's future.

IS THIS TRUE???? *weeps*

akacat

Postby akacat » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:32 pm UTC

fhorn wrote:
FullOfIt wrote:

Valrhona - top choice for baking.
My favorite Swiss chocolate: Suchard. MMMMMMMMMMMMMM........
suchard.jpg

My favorite chocolate is Leonidas. But, I've never heard of any of these chocolates before! Obviously I need to go on a chocolate fact-finding (or factual chocolate-finding) trip, stat.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”