1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

peewee_RotA

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby peewee_RotA » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:54 pm UTC

SWuh wrote:I prefer 'DONG'

I thought the discussion of gender through contextual clues conversation was split to another thread.

:P

(Sorry, couldn't resist an out of context wordplay. I mean no disrespect to the individual apart form the obviously horrible sexist remake shown above)
Last edited by peewee_RotA on Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:59 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"Vowels have trouble getting married in Canada. They can’t pronounce their O’s."

http://timelesstherpg.wordpress.com/about/

riverssong
Gallstone of Fury

Postby riverssong » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:54 pm UTC

Grepus wrote:
riverssong wrote:
mojacardave wrote:
riverssong wrote:
Mr Moriaty wrote:
riverssong wrote:
Mr Moriaty wrote:
riverssong wrote:*yawn* G'morning. Have we taken over any small island nations yet?

We appear to have enough sand to build our own.

Cool. I can contribute a portable hobbit-hole and a pot of coffee. Will that help?

Both essential parts to any new island.

To be honest after starting a new religion and redefining time, I think starting a new civilization is the only real way forwards from here.

I am down with any new civilization that includes coffee.

Hey, hey, hey...! This is supposed to be the British shift. Who's bringing the teapot?

I will bring you a teapot, if you bring me a bag of Flake bars. And a can of Devonshire custard. I miss it.

Brit living in Spain here... I have flakes, custard (tinned and powdered) and tea (plus pot and strainer... loose leaf, every time for me)... What do you bring to the table?

How about french toast made with Hawaiian sweet bread, lightly spread with cream cheese and a drizzle of pure maple syrup, with a side of crispy fried taters?

If that doesn't suit, I can make cheese omelets with fresh herbs. Or chicken tenderloin wrapped in bacon and grilled over an open fire...
Mr Moriaty wrote:I hate it when you wake up to find everyone else joined a cult and you missed out :(

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:55 pm UTC

riverssong wrote:
Grepus wrote:
riverssong wrote:
mojacardave wrote:
riverssong wrote:
Mr Moriaty wrote:
riverssong wrote:
Mr Moriaty wrote:
riverssong wrote:*yawn* G'morning. Have we taken over any small island nations yet?

Cool. I can contribute a portable hobbit-hole and a pot of coffee. Will that help?

To be honest after starting a new religion and redefining time, I think starting a new civilization is the only real way forwards from here.

Hey, hey, hey...! This is supposed to be the British shift. Who's bringing the teapot?

I will bring you a teapot, if you bring me a bag of Flake bars. And a can of Devonshire custard. I miss it.

Brit living in Spain here... I have flakes, custard (tinned and powdered) and tea (plus pot and strainer... loose leaf, every time for me)... What do you bring to the table?

How about french toast made with Hawaiian sweet bread, lightly spread with cream cheese and a drizzle of pure maple syrup, with a side of crispy fried taters?

If that doesn't suit, I can make cheese omelets with fresh herbs. Or chicken tenderloin wrapped in bacon and grilled over an open fire...

Sounds about as American as Dutch Apple Pie
"Vowels have trouble getting married in Canada. They can’t pronounce their O’s."

Grepus

Postby Grepus » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:56 pm UTC

riverssong wrote:
Grepus wrote:
riverssong wrote:
mojacardave wrote:
riverssong wrote:
Mr Moriaty wrote:
riverssong wrote:
Mr Moriaty wrote:

Not had french toast in YEARS! I have my kids arriving tomorrow night for their Easter holidays, I know what they're having for breakfast on Saturday morning!
I was sure I had an account here before... Ho hum, it's lost in Time now...

riverssong
Gallstone of Fury

Postby riverssong » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:57 pm UTC

peewee_RotA wrote:
riverssong wrote:
Grepus wrote:
riverssong wrote:
mojacardave wrote:
riverssong wrote:
Mr Moriaty wrote:
riverssong wrote:
Mr Moriaty wrote:

I have no apples. However, I could probably whip up something amazing with bananas, sugar cookie dough and Nutella.
Mr Moriaty wrote:I hate it when you wake up to find everyone else joined a cult and you missed out :(

daef

Postby daef » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:58 pm UTC

SWuh wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:...Actually I got it. Since the "GONG" is 6 seconds early TF can follow the GONG while np follows the actual update.

My 2 cents: I prefer 'DONG' or 'BONG' as these are both infinitely more hilarious :lol:

either way - i set up the *[DBG]ONG*

so i think i should at least be able to name it...
...but i'm happy as long as you don't name it
"BING"

Grepus

Postby Grepus » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:59 pm UTC

More importantly, looking at it closely, that really could be a laptop!

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:59 pm UTC

xspeedballx wrote:I went with New Daily Pic because it is a solid reference point. First Daily Pic makes sense as well. Since I have heard 2 yay's for FDP we will go with that. However we have other interesting concepts. Now we can split history as before the start of "Time" and after the start of "Time". Should we create a new Calendar or reset the current gregorian? How will that jive? Since we are now resetting in the middle and not on January. 3/24/2013 was the last day of AD. Mayan's missed by a few months. This was a missed opportunity by Randall I feel.

So I declare this moment as 17.3 New Pix EST on the 4th FDP on the 1st year after the start of "Time"(AT)

Edit: We could also take the opportunity to rename the days of the week and the months. Screw the Romans. The first month of our new year is now Randallary.

You missed the proper name for the start of Time:
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

SWuh

Postby SWuh » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:00 pm UTC

Grepus wrote:More importantly, looking at it closely, that really could be a laptop!

My thoughts exactly!!! Kind of scary. But I dunno what to.... OH

Not a laptop.

Grepus

Postby Grepus » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:00 pm UTC

MORE FLAGS!

digimuzik

Postby digimuzik » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:00 pm UTC

Yay! A flag on the original castle!
Keep bringing us news from the past, smolloy!

I waited for it... XKCD Time Wiki

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:00 pm UTC

I traveled all the way from 1982 just to say, this thread is officially out of control.

I went to bed last night at about page 59. I woke up this moring to an additional 20 pages. After careful reading of 60-65, I started to skim. I then jumped over a few pages. I jumped again. Again, until I landed on 81. Jumping around in the thread was obviously a mistake. I had the same sense of euphoria and confusion as the Great Accidental Reveal of the Flag. I am now travelling back in time to consume the madness that occurred last night. I am frightened.

Rivenwulf

Postby Rivenwulf » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:01 pm UTC

Good morning all... and why am I suddenly hungry?? :shock:

SWuh

Postby SWuh » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:01 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:I traveled all the way from 1982 just to say, this thread is officially out of control.

I went to bed last night at about page 59. I woke up this moring to an additional 20 pages. After careful reading of 60-65, I started to skim. I then jumped over a few pages. I jumped again. Again, until I landed on 81. Jumping around in the thread was obviously a mistake. I had the same sense of euphoria and confusion as the Great Accidental Reveal of the Flag. I am now travelling back in time to consume the madness that occurred last night. I am frightened.

I really wouldn't bother. All who have gone there have come back mad men!

Srt252

Postby Srt252 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:03 pm UTC

Jeez keeping up with every post on this thread is getting to be a challenge.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:03 pm UTC

Also, in honor of the flag being placed in the (presumed) original castle, I hereby name this day Randall Flagg Day.

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:03 pm UTC

YellowYeti wrote:I vote we sub-divide the units into 'grains' where 20 grains = 1 timeframe and 16 grains = 1 newpix

Oh and a metric 'mote' where 100 motes = 1 timeframe

I like where this is going.

I would reverse the grain count though. The standard measurement should have 16 and the metric should use multiples of 10.

But what this means is that a standard grain is 4/5ths of a metric grain.
Last edited by peewee_RotA on Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:04 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

riverssong
Gallstone of Fury

Postby riverssong » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:03 pm UTC

Rivenwulf wrote:Good morning all... and why am I suddenly hungry?? :shock:

My work here is done.

Rivenwulf

Postby Rivenwulf » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:04 pm UTC

Also...OOOH MORE FLAGS!!!

You can't have a sand castle if you don't have a flag. No flag, no sand castle. That's the rule I just made up...

Rivenwulf

Postby Rivenwulf » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:05 pm UTC

riverssong wrote:

My work here is done.

...and if I eat all of that, my cardiologist's will have just begun... :mrgreen:

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:06 pm UTC

I fully expect that sand castle to be smitten any moment now. After all, I've heard it on good authority that God hates flags.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

riverssong
Gallstone of Fury

Postby riverssong » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:07 pm UTC

Rivenwulf wrote:
riverssong wrote:

My work here is done.

...and if I eat all of that, my cardiologist's will have just begun... :mrgreen:

I am a child of the TARDIS. I am also a hobbit. My mission in life is to travel the length and breadth of the known (and unknown) universe, making people hungry, and obtaining second breakfast in as many ways and forms as possible.

LadyVulcan

Postby LadyVulcan » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:08 pm UTC

Has anyone noticed the number (1190) is 9/11 backwards?

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:08 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:Been lurking all day and decided to jump in.

So is newpix the smallest standard unit of time? Can I go off for a quarter newpix to make a snack?

I don't think so. I think that is an Interpix. Something like a quantum leap. You can, in fact, eat (or prepare food), but unless you are gone for a Newpix, the length is not quantifiable.

Also, I feel strongly that Aubron should be a word, but I'm not sure I can articulate the meaning properly. Say someone brought donuts for everyone, would that be Aubron of them?

I managed to read all of the comments from while I slept in only 2 newpix, but I think that's because it was slow. Only 4 more pages appeared while I read. (I think the post I'm quoting was on page 66 or so, sorry.)
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

Bytes

Postby Bytes » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:09 pm UTC

Just a long time lurker deciding to say hi to all! Does anyone else get that the gif doesn't keep going if you're not on the tab showing it? It's starting to take longer to get to the new frames than is convenient...

nickulo

Postby nickulo » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:10 pm UTC

Woah. I feel like Lisa Simpson in that Treehouse of Horror episode with the tooth dissolved in soda science experiment.

I went to bed and things were relatively normal. I wake up, and you guys have your own society/religion. Is someone searching for a pacific island to set up a society where we can all just move to, and watch this thing update all day?

I'm sure after the initial sandcastles were built, it wouldn't take more than a newpix to update them to the latest configuration to copy the comic...

riverssong
Gallstone of Fury

Postby riverssong » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:10 pm UTC

Grepus wrote:
riverssong wrote:
Grepus wrote:
riverssong wrote:
mojacardave wrote:
riverssong wrote:
Mr Moriaty wrote:
riverssong wrote:
Mr Moriaty wrote:

Not had french toast in YEARS! I have my kids arriving tomorrow night for their Easter holidays, I know what they're having for breakfast on Saturday morning!

Hawaiian sweet bread - if you can find it - beats the heck out of challah, where french toast is concerned. It's a bit squishy to cook, but oh so light and fluffy!

Mr Moriaty

Postby Mr Moriaty » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:11 pm UTC

riverssong wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:
riverssong wrote:
Grepus wrote:
riverssong wrote:
mojacardave wrote:
riverssong wrote:
Mr Moriaty wrote:
riverssong wrote:
Mr Moriaty wrote:

I have no apples. However, I could probably whip up something amazing with bananas, sugar cookie dough and Nutella.

How did we go from building an Island to Breakfast in so short a space of time?

One things for certain. On our new Island civilization we are going to feast like kings and queens.
The Holy Geophysicist of the Time Waiters - Can be found eating granite with a glass of port.

AussieJono

Postby AussieJono » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:12 pm UTC

Glad to see the Americans are joining us again. The European shift has been largely lacking in off-topic conversations apart from Island building. I think redefining our measurements of time counts as fairly on-topic, even if we've moved away from the comic a little bit.
<pretentious quote> </pretentious quote>

squonk

Postby squonk » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:13 pm UTC

KarMann wrote:I fully expect that sand castle to be smitten any moment now. After all, I've heard it on good authority that God hates flags.

Why would Randall draw flags if he hated them?

riverssong
Gallstone of Fury

Postby riverssong » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:14 pm UTC

Mr Moriaty wrote:
riverssong wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:
riverssong wrote:
Grepus wrote:
riverssong wrote:
mojacardave wrote:
riverssong wrote:
Mr Moriaty wrote:
riverssong wrote:
Mr Moriaty wrote:

How did we go from building an Island to Breakfast in so short a space of time?

One things for certain. On our new Island civilization we are going to feast like kings and queens.

That would be why people bring me along. I am all about the food.

The Owl

Postby The Owl » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:16 pm UTC

Having just eaten a doughnut (I don't have a cardiologist, hah), I didn't think this thread could possibly make me hungry. Just shows that one shouldn't underestimate the sort of people who create a whole new religion and plan a new civilisation in the space of ~150 newpix.

swiftblade13

Postby swiftblade13 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:17 pm UTC

Good morning Folks how are y'all doing
Would you happen to have a bite to eat and a sip of tea leftover for me?
Last edited by swiftblade13 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:19 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:18 pm UTC

Had a problem. Tried to solve it. Well.
Colleagues are sometimes not blessed with The Great Insight.

'' Wh... are you nuts?! Why on earth did you schedule our meeting for 15:02 - 15:28?! ''
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

Rivenwulf

Postby Rivenwulf » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:18 pm UTC

AussieJono wrote:

Glad to see the Americans are joining us again. The European shift has been largely lacking in off-topic conversations apart from Island building. I think redefining our measurements of time counts as fairly on-topic, even if we've moved away from the comic a little bit.

I've only had about 8 newpix of sleep though, and no coffee as of yet, so I'm a bit off my game... I'll remedy that coffee situation IMMEDIATELY.
I see it's going to be another productive day at work...

Mr Moriaty

Postby Mr Moriaty » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:18 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:Also, I feel strongly that Aubron should be a word, but I'm not sure I can articulate the meaning properly. Say someone brought donuts for everyone, would that be Aubron of them?

I like that....

However I have noticed a slowly emerging issue. This thread is moving at such a rate that only those who are up 24/7 can follow and understand it. Those of us who sleep wake up to a world where the language is barely recognizable and things they thought they knew (like how time is quantified) have changed from when they went to bed. If the speed of development keeps up people will have to sleep less and less just to keep up, Leading to increased sales of caffeine to stay awake. Thereby pushing sales of tea and coffee through the roof.... wait I'm not really sure where I'm going with this.... I need some tea... be right back.
The Holy Geophysicist of the Time Waiters - Can be found eating granite with a glass of port.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:19 pm UTC

Ok, so the zooming out, and addition of flags, plus a little AI for the characters might be slightly challenging, but I still say this fully auto-generated and is going to go on forever. Maybe Randall is going to periodically update his script and give them extra abilities. In 3-4 years from now they will probably gain full sentience and start contemplating the existence of extra dimensions of space. I created a proof of concept for this theory, but I can't post the link yet -- gets flagged as spam.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

Eoink

Postby Eoink » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:25 pm UTC

I've had a look back at the songs and didn't spot this one, although it's quite possible that I missed it. May I humbly suggest a hymn for the religion:
Give that old Time religion
Give me that old Time religion
Give me that old Time religion
And it's good enough for me.

Magdiragdag

Postby Magdiragdag » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:26 pm UTC

SBN wrote:Also, I feel strongly that Aubron should be a word, but I'm not sure I can articulate the meaning properly. Say someone brought donuts for everyone, would that be Aubron of them?

If someone brought more flags, that would really be Aubron.
I wait for it, therefore I am.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:26 pm UTC

Mr Moriaty wrote:
SBN wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:Also, I feel strongly that Aubron should be a word, but I'm not sure I can articulate the meaning properly. Say someone brought donuts for everyone, would that be Aubron of them?

I like that....

However I have noticed a slowly emerging issue. This thread is moving at such a rate that only those who are up 24/7 can follow and understand it. Those of us who sleep wake up to a world where the language is barely recognizable and things they thought they knew (like how time is quantified) have changed from when they went to bed. If the speed of development keeps up people will have to sleep less and less just to keep up, Leading to increased sales of caffeine to stay awake. Thereby pushing sales of tea and coffee through the roof.... wait I'm not really sure where I'm going with this.... I need some tea... be right back.

Mr. Moriarty, are you suggesting that we're in danger of reaching some kind of caffeine event horizon? Beats shoes I suppose.

I think my earlier posts got lost in the threads. What are we called? Newpixians? What is our message?
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”