1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Magdiragdag

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Magdiragdag » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:39 pm UTC

lovepirate wrote:I'd just like to point out that just because they said "Wanna swim?" does not necessarily mean that it's water. It could be any liquid, including a lake of coffee. Or "swim" could be a euphemism for something else!
Wait for it.

Adding to that: they might be in a desert, and swimming may be just a wish. Or they could go and find the nearest swimming pool.
I wait for it, therefore I am.

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:39 pm UTC

TheLochNessCheeseBurger wrote:The return of text... I wonder what this will lead to? More off-screen construction?

It's an interesting theory. I predict that this text will lead to swimming. I have a sixth sense for these things.

blowfishhootie

Postby blowfishhootie » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:40 pm UTC

lovepirate wrote:
icebreather106 wrote:
ThatGingerBrit wrote:
lovepirate wrote:I'd just like to point out that just because they said "Wanna swim?" does not necessarily mean that it's water. It could be any liquid, including a lake of coffee. Or "swim" could be a euphemism for something else!
Wait for it.

I highly doubt that, those structures imply sandcastles, sandcastles imply a beach, beaches imply water.

As does, ya know, swimming

Meh, I don't like to assume... plus y'all will look silly when they go swimming and one of them says "This lake tastes like coffee."
Wait for it.

So ... it's coffee that looks exactly like water? Or does water in XKCD-land look thick and brown?

lovepirate

Postby lovepirate » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:40 pm UTC

blowfishhootie wrote:Something just dawned on me. So I had actually forgotten my username on here - I don't remember how I chose it, but it's certainly not because I'm a Hootie and the Blowfish fan. I think I saw the name on some other forum and it made me chuckle, so I stole it. Anyway, earlier in the thread, some posters were quoting the song "Time" by that band, but I had forgotten my username and it didn't dawn on me that clearly this comic is in some strange way an homage to me!

You're welcome! It is totally all about you!
Wait for it.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:41 pm UTC

I bet they may even go out pretty far and try to touch the bottom.

Also, there may or may not be seaweed caught in someone's hair.

trusstopher

Postby trusstopher » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:41 pm UTC

ThatGingerBrit wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote:
ThatGingerBrit wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote:
ThatGingerBrit wrote:
SWuh wrote:Gosh, you all bloody love 103 don't you? Well, I have something to tell you!! Just because it contains the most 'action' does NOT make it the best frame. I think in terms of narrative and suspense 126 was by far superior. The not knowing, the questioning, the confusion. The laughter (brought on by the descent into madness)... !!!

I think you've just proven comic 915's point.

Congrats, you get the joke!

What do I win?

You get to guest-draw next Monday's comic. Just email Randall Monroe and tell him blowfishhootie gave you the go ahead.

You just watch, it will be mind-blowing.

|Wait for it, it will be mind-blowing.

FTFY
My Signature is.... Wait for it...

embracethehate

Postby embracethehate » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:42 pm UTC

Srt252 wrote:It's kind of crazy how involved we are in the frame by frame analysis of a little 0.000556 fps sandcastle construction comic series... and yet somehow I just can't stop.

Earlier today I was feeling bad for casual fans of xkcd who probably saw the original comic, shrugged, and went about their lives without ever going back to it.

But then I remembered they aren't the ones who've been refreshing the same page every half hour for the past three and a half days.

Ayriannah

Postby Ayriannah » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:42 pm UTC

Updated the wiki.
P.S. I am not Randall. I am an initiate of Time. All is measured by the passage of the Newpix.

Doctor Bob

Postby Doctor Bob » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:43 pm UTC

Oh, oh.

I'm going back to my earlier theory that this is inspired by Ray Bradbury's story "The Lake." Hope I'm wrong...

appleGirl

Postby appleGirl » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:43 pm UTC

I can't tell you how happy I was to see that dialogue. This is absolutely ridiculous.
appleGirl wrote:
lassehp wrote:[...] but what is a believer called? I may be persuaded to convert from whovian, but I need to know what to call myself... "Timer"? "Temporalist"? "Sandcastler?" "TimeWatcher?" "SandcastleWatcher?"

/Lasse

TimeWaiter?

communisteggplant

Postby communisteggplant » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:43 pm UTC

ThatGingerBrit wrote:Words! Yay! BUT WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?! (What if it has absolutely no meaning at all and we were all just suckered into making this immense conversation for nothing?)

Someone referenced Cage's 4' 33" earlier...a more appropriate art music reference to the comic and our responses might be Ives' The Unanswered Question. The piece has three layers- a repeating, slow string pattern meant to evoke the passage of time, a trumpet blast invoking the Unanswered Question (i.e., "what does it all mean?"), and a bunch of flutes offering scurrying responses that trip over one another. The strings are the comic, the trumpet is our search for meaning, and the flutes are the wondrous (Ives would say silly, but I disagree) cacophony of our attempts to understand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbArUJBRRJ0

matthewglen

Postby matthewglen » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:44 pm UTC

I've been lurking here since Monday, but with this frame, I couldn't resist registering and sharing my reaction.

I haven't been forming any crazy theories about where this is going, and I pity all the people who have been. This entire comic has been a wonderful, peaceful, engaging experience. Every time I go through the images on aubronwood's site, I end up smiling at frame #105, when he puts his hands up to his mouth like he's saying "oops" after falling down the side of the castle.

But man, with this newest frame, I got legitimately excited at the prospect of seeing them go for a swim. I'm sitting here at work and I actually said out loud, "oh dear." I really hope Randall keeps this comic going for a while, I'm really enjoying it.

imhungry

Postby imhungry » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:45 pm UTC

What is happening it has been four days and we still have no clue on why he is doing this to us. It is killing me.

TheLochNessCheeseBurger

Postby TheLochNessCheeseBurger » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:45 pm UTC

I think there should be an international newpix time (sort of like unix time)
So the current one would be 170 1/2 newpix. (aubronwood's tool is my clock right now, but we could make an official one)

blowfishhootie

Postby blowfishhootie » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:45 pm UTC

embracethehate wrote:
Srt252 wrote:It's kind of crazy how involved we are in the frame by frame analysis of a little 0.000556 fps sandcastle construction comic series... and yet somehow I just can't stop.

Earlier today I was feeling bad for casual fans of xkcd who probably saw the original comic, shrugged, and went about their lives without ever going back to it.

But then I remembered they aren't the ones who've been refreshing the same page every half hour for the past three and a half days.

I really wish there was a way to know what percentage of people have visited the comic, didn't "get" it, and never returned without trying to figure out what's going on. When I first came across XKCD like five or six years ago, it had already been going on for a year or two and I went back and read all the old ones in the archive of course, if this comic had existed already then I'm not sure I would have taken the time to figure it out. Though I guess it probably would have been referenced on here eventually and I would have figured it out eventually.

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:45 pm UTC

The dialogue seems to put paid to the idea that Megan was sad or cold.

blowfishhootie

Postby blowfishhootie » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:46 pm UTC

mojacardave wrote:The dialogue seems to put paid to the idea that Megan was sad or cold.

Agreed, though I think this is the first time in my life I've ever heard/read that someone "put paid to" something.
Last edited by blowfishhootie on Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:47 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Mindor

Postby Mindor » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:46 pm UTC

moody7277 wrote:Well, them wanting to go for a swim kind of puts paid to the ice/snow supporters.

Never heard of a polar plunge?
You get the 'Best Newbie (Nearly) Ever" Award. -Az
Yay me.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:46 pm UTC

This animation is receiving an average of 21 comments per frame... on this forum alone. That has to be some kind of record.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:47 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:

This animation is receiving an average of 21 comments per frame... on this forum alone. That has to be some kind of record.

No - the average Randall comic gets more than 21 comments per frame!

blowfishhootie

Postby blowfishhootie » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:48 pm UTC

mojacardave wrote:
Kieryn wrote:

Haha, excellent point!

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:49 pm UTC

mojacardave wrote:
Kieryn wrote:

Yeah, I guess, but I'm not sure you can say that a 1 frame animation really is an animation.
Image- Kieryn

blowfishhootie

Postby blowfishhootie » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:50 pm UTC

At this point, I'm refreshing this thread more often than people were refreshing the comic in the early days, before we had figured out the 30-minute time frame between updates.

ThatGingerBrit

Postby ThatGingerBrit » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:50 pm UTC

communisteggplant wrote:
ThatGingerBrit wrote:Words! Yay! BUT WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?! (What if it has absolutely no meaning at all and we were all just suckered into making this immense conversation for nothing?)

Someone referenced Cage's 4' 33" earlier...a more appropriate art music reference to the comic and our responses might be Ives' The Unanswered Question. The piece has three layers- a repeating, slow string pattern meant to evoke the passage of time, a trumpet blast invoking the Unanswered Question (i.e., "what does it all mean?"), and a bunch of flutes offering scurrying responses that trip over one another. The strings are the comic, the trumpet is our search for meaning, and the flutes are the wondrous (Ives would say silly, but I disagree) cacophony of our attempts to understand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbArUJBRRJ0

It's times like this that make me wonder why humanity has done this to themselves. As a species whose existence relies only on basic requirements (eating, sleeping, sex, etc.), why on Earth do we overcomplicate every little thing? And then I remember, because Universities need a way to kill time.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:51 pm UTC

Mindor wrote:
moody7277 wrote:Well, them wanting to go for a swim kind of puts paid to the ice/snow supporters.

Never heard of a polar plunge?

"Go for a swim" would seem to imply a longer amount of time than just a plunge. We'll see if they're gone for more than a couple of newpix.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:51 pm UTC

blowfishhootie wrote:At this point, I'm refreshing this thread more often than people were refreshing the comic in the early days, before we had figured out the 30-minute time frame between updates.

If in the unlikely event I ever create something popular, I want to host the same way this forum is hosted.
Image- Kieryn

Mindor

Postby Mindor » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:52 pm UTC

can this be added to the thread summary?
You get the 'Best Newbie (Nearly) Ever" Award. -Az
Yay me.

backwrds

Postby backwrds » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:53 pm UTC

OK so hear me out guys...

It's a hot spring in Iceland... surrounded... by snow!

(ah whatever -- you can keep your gritty sand)

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:54 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:
mojacardave wrote:
Kieryn wrote:

Yeah, I guess, but I'm not sure you can say that a 1 frame animation really is an animation.

Well - if you're going solely by the animated comics, then there aren't a lot of contenders. The only other one I can think of is http://xkcd.com/1116/, and that had far fewer frames, so it may still beat the statistics for this comic.

Zentdayn

Postby Zentdayn » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:54 pm UTC

I know!!
just can't stop.
I've learned a lot about the importance of small things.
I have been here since the beginning of Time

glitchmaker

Postby glitchmaker » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:55 pm UTC

I think they will find the barrel kid from comic #1.

shadowjester

Postby shadowjester » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:56 pm UTC

icebreather106 wrote:IT IS WATER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IT IS OIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:56 pm UTC

mojacardave wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
mojacardave wrote:
Kieryn wrote:

Well - if you're going solely by the animated comics, then there aren't a lot of contenders. The only other one I can think of is http://xkcd.com/1116/, and that had far fewer frames, so it may still beat the statistics for this comic.

Ok, but what if we qualify on only comments that occurred during the first viewing of the animation, before it completed?
Image- Kieryn

xspeedballx

Postby xspeedballx » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:57 pm UTC

Correction it is liquid.

Corrado

Postby Corrado » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:58 pm UTC

mojacardave wrote:
TheLochNessCheeseBurger wrote:The return of text... I wonder what this will lead to? More off-screen construction?

It's an interesting theory. I predict that this text will lead to swimming. I have a sixth sense for these things.

So do they jump right in or do we burn a dozen newpix watching them undress, get into swimwear, get swimming gear, etc.?

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:58 pm UTC

xspeedballx wrote:

Correction it is liquid.

Or maybe not... They may be unpleasantly surprised... in a newpix or two.
Image- Kieryn

Roia

Postby Roia » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:58 pm UTC

We're not going to watch them go swimming, are we? I think this is the End of Time.
The World is Waiting, Anticipating...

lazy-bunny.com - Blog.

shadowjester

Postby shadowjester » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:58 pm UTC

Srt252 wrote:It's kind of crazy how involved we are in the frame by frame analysis of a little 1f/NP sandcastle construction comic series... and yet somehow I just can't stop.

There. Fixed that for you.

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:58 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:
mojacardave wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
mojacardave wrote:
Kieryn wrote:

Ok, but what if we qualify on only comments that occurred during the first viewing of the animation, before it completed?

It does beat "Traffic Lights": I checked. 172 posts there for 30 frames (I did that quickly though, I may have miscounted the frames).

Phaelin

Postby Phaelin » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:59 pm UTC

Roia wrote:We're not going to watch them go swimming, are we? I think this is the End of Time.

So we're about to get Matt Smith?

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”