Page 94 of 2688

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:42 pm UTC
by Racerdude09
robxlii wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:This is probably either reaching the end, nearing another zoomout, or both.


Or this is one slow reveal, culminating in...something?...on April 1. As has been mentioned previously.


How can we be so sure it will be the 1st? Why not the 3rd? Would that not be a much better April Fools joke?? WHAT DO YOU HAVE AGAINST APRIL?!?! Okay, time to stop hyperventilating...

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:42 pm UTC
by ***
blowfishhootie wrote: Keep thinking they're swimming in a lake of coffee surrounded by snow if that's what you want, but I promise you that you are wrong. Wait for it, and you'll see.


To be fair, Randall's in Boston, so that is a completely plossible scenario.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:43 pm UTC
by platypusloins
Zindaras wrote:I think they're drowning and that this was just a very roundabout way to make a point about not going swimming in isolated places where nobody can hear you scream (like space).



There go my plans for space swimming...

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:43 pm UTC
by hdhale
Godsguy wrote:
Foarm wrote:
Envelope Generator wrote:So. It has come to this.

Yes it has...


I have come from 1982 to say this - "Doesn't it always come to this?"


Isn't history as much about tearing things down as it is about building things up?

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:44 pm UTC
by GerardE
swey wrote:I really hope there is some sort of 'the end' page at the end, otherwise, how will we know when its over or if theyre just doing something off frame?

Did we see the frame yet that was accidentally(?) shown before its time? That may be The End.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:44 pm UTC
by peewee_RotA
*** wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote: Keep thinking they're swimming in a lake of coffee surrounded by snow if that's what you want, but I promise you that you are wrong. Wait for it, and you'll see.


To be fair, Randall's in Boston, so that is a completely plossible scenario.


I've got More Than a Feeling that might be possible.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:44 pm UTC
by Phaelin
GerardE wrote:
swey wrote:I really hope there is some sort of 'the end' page at the end, otherwise, how will we know when its over or if theyre just doing something off frame?

Did we see the frame yet that was accidentally(?) shown before its time? That may be The End.

It was part of the Slow Left Pan, so no, that was definitely not the end.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:45 pm UTC
by belliott4488
HAL9000 wrote:This is probably either reaching the end, nearing another zoomout, or both.

Or they're just swimming for a while and will return to work on the castle some more ...

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:45 pm UTC
by xspeedballx
blowfishhootie wrote:
xspeedballx wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote:
dp2 wrote:Wanting to swim does not mean they're on a beach. I'm in an office building with no water in sight, and it's 45° outside, but I still want to swim.


I'm going to point out why this is an invalid argument, even though it is clear as day that they are on a beach and that people who insist otherwise are just being needlessly argumentative.

It's not just wanting to swim, but someone else asking you. You are in an office, so if another person came and asked you if you want to go for a swim, as happened in the comic, would make no sense whatsoever.


It has nothing to do with being arguementative and more to do with challenging assumptions. This is a thread full of them many of them shattered as quick as they appeared. We have limited information due to the medium and the presentation. It is true it is clear that they are near a body of liquid. Your analysis of dialog with context is correct, but not much else can really be assumed.


They are on a beach. That is one of the very, very few facts that is actually apparent just from looking at the frame. Yes, there have been countless dumb-as-hell assumptions put forth. That building sand castles and swimming means they are on a beach is not one of those dumb-as-hell assumptions. Lumping that inference in the same category as "they must be pregnant and have had a miscarriage!" or whichever of the actually absurd assumptions you have in mind is yet another dumb-as-hell assumption.

Keep thinking they're swimming in a lake of coffee surrounded by snow if that's what you want, but I promise you that you are wrong. Wait for it, and you'll see.


Woah there, because I want to avoid assumptions does not make giving credence to any other assumption. Quite that opposite actually. I do not disagree that the large set of information points to beach. Just want to point out though that just because it is the most likely answer doesn't mean curve balls can't be thrown easily. XKCD has never been above challenging your assumptions of what the stick figures represent.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:46 pm UTC
by @maniexx
I don't live near an ocean or a sea, but would we really see tides over a couple hour period?
Because that's how long I assume must've passed in the comic-verse

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:46 pm UTC
by Godsguy
belliott4488 wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:This is probably either reaching the end, nearing another zoomout, or both.

Or they're just swimming for a while and will return to work on the castle some more ...


Or chased out of the water by flying cuttlefish?

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:46 pm UTC
by SBN
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...


And I have my sig! (Now to figure out how to do it.)

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:47 pm UTC
by robxlii
peewee_RotA wrote:
*** wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote: Keep thinking they're swimming in a lake of coffee surrounded by snow if that's what you want, but I promise you that you are wrong. Wait for it, and you'll see.


To be fair, Randall's in Boston, so that is a completely plossible scenario.


I've got More Than a Feeling that might be possible.


Yeah. All of this is just Foreplay. It's gonna be a Long Time before we know anything for certain.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:47 pm UTC
by blowfishhootie
I will accept any wager with a person who wants to argue that they are NOT swimming in water and the castles are NOT made of sand. Ignoring the few things we actually know just to spite the people who have thrown actual off-the-wall, unsubstantiated stuff out there is a stupid strategy.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:48 pm UTC
by Racerdude09
GerardE wrote:
swey wrote:I really hope there is some sort of 'the end' page at the end, otherwise, how will we know when its over or if theyre just doing something off frame?

Did we see the frame yet that was accidentally(?) shown before its time? That may be The End.

That was frame 143, and 172 is currently showing.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:48 pm UTC
by HAL9000
@maniexx wrote:I don't live near an ocean or a sea, but would we really see tides over a couple hour period?
Because that's how long I assume must've passed in the comic-verse

This could be a lake or other small, isolated body of water.
Could be a wave pool, for all we know.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:48 pm UTC
by Srt252
peewee_RotA wrote:
*** wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote: Keep thinking they're swimming in a lake of coffee surrounded by snow if that's what you want, but I promise you that you are wrong. Wait for it, and you'll see.


To be fair, Randall's in Boston, so that is a completely plossible scenario.


I've got More Than a Feeling that might be possible.


Well done.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:48 pm UTC
by Ayriannah
peewee_RotA wrote:
*** wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote: Keep thinking they're swimming in a lake of coffee surrounded by snow if that's what you want, but I promise you that you are wrong. Wait for it, and you'll see.


To be fair, Randall's in Boston, so that is a completely plossible scenario.


I've got More Than a Feeling that might be possible.


and now it's stuck in my head. curse you! at least I can go get coffee...for the next 11 minutes...

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:52 pm UTC
by Psycix
So is this the age of coffee and snowcastles?

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:52 pm UTC
by peewee_RotA
robxlii wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:
*** wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote: Keep thinking they're swimming in a lake of coffee surrounded by snow if that's what you want, but I promise you that you are wrong. Wait for it, and you'll see.


To be fair, Randall's in Boston, so that is a completely plossible scenario.


I've got More Than a Feeling that might be possible.


Yeah. All of this is just Foreplay. It's gonna be a Long Time before we know anything for certain.


Them maybe it's time to stop checking. I don't need Amanda display a bunch of single frame animations slowly and string me along for days.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:52 pm UTC
by StratPlayer
Is this the part where the raptors come and destroy the castle?

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:53 pm UTC
by Srt252
peewee_RotA wrote:
robxlii wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:
*** wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote: Keep thinking they're swimming in a lake of coffee surrounded by snow if that's what you want, but I promise you that you are wrong. Wait for it, and you'll see.


To be fair, Randall's in Boston, so that is a completely plossible scenario.


I've got More Than a Feeling that might be possible.


Yeah. All of this is just Foreplay. It's gonna be a Long Time before we know anything for certain.


Them maybe it's time to stop checking. I don't need Amanda display a bunch of single frame animations slowly and string me along for days.


If it would just end already I might get some Peace of Mind.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:54 pm UTC
by dp2
xspeedballx wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote:
xspeedballx wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote:
dp2 wrote:Wanting to swim does not mean they're on a beach. I'm in an office building with no water in sight, and it's 45° outside, but I still want to swim.


I'm going to point out why this is an invalid argument, even though it is clear as day that they are on a beach and that people who insist otherwise are just being needlessly argumentative.

It's not just wanting to swim, but someone else asking you. You are in an office, so if another person came and asked you if you want to go for a swim, as happened in the comic, would make no sense whatsoever.


It has nothing to do with being arguementative and more to do with challenging assumptions. This is a thread full of them many of them shattered as quick as they appeared. We have limited information due to the medium and the presentation. It is true it is clear that they are near a body of liquid. Your analysis of dialog with context is correct, but not much else can really be assumed.


They are on a beach. That is one of the very, very few facts that is actually apparent just from looking at the frame. Yes, there have been countless dumb-as-hell assumptions put forth. That building sand castles and swimming means they are on a beach is not one of those dumb-as-hell assumptions. Lumping that inference in the same category as "they must be pregnant and have had a miscarriage!" or whichever of the actually absurd assumptions you have in mind is yet another dumb-as-hell assumption.

Keep thinking they're swimming in a lake of coffee surrounded by snow if that's what you want, but I promise you that you are wrong. Wait for it, and you'll see.


Woah there, because I want to avoid assumptions does not make giving credence to any other assumption. Quite that opposite actually. I do not disagree that the large set of information points to beach. Just want to point out though that just because it is the most likely answer doesn't mean curve balls can't be thrown easily. XKCD has never been above challenging your assumptions of what the stick figures represent.

Thanks for backing me up.

I honestly thought from frame one that they are on a beach. I'm just making the point that it is an assumption, just like assuming the character with hair is female and the bald one male.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:55 pm UTC
by udscbt
StratPlayer wrote:Is this the part where the raptors come and destroy the castle?

I was actually going to point out the absence of raptors. I'm sure they will come, but not just yet.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:56 pm UTC
by lovepirate
dp2 wrote:
xspeedballx wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote:
xspeedballx wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote:
dp2 wrote:Wanting to swim does not mean they're on a beach. I'm in an office building with no water in sight, and it's 45° outside, but I still want to swim.


I'm going to point out why this is an invalid argument, even though it is clear as day that they are on a beach and that people who insist otherwise are just being needlessly argumentative.

It's not just wanting to swim, but someone else asking you. You are in an office, so if another person came and asked you if you want to go for a swim, as happened in the comic, would make no sense whatsoever.


It has nothing to do with being arguementative and more to do with challenging assumptions. This is a thread full of them many of them shattered as quick as they appeared. We have limited information due to the medium and the presentation. It is true it is clear that they are near a body of liquid. Your analysis of dialog with context is correct, but not much else can really be assumed.


They are on a beach. That is one of the very, very few facts that is actually apparent just from looking at the frame. Yes, there have been countless dumb-as-hell assumptions put forth. That building sand castles and swimming means they are on a beach is not one of those dumb-as-hell assumptions. Lumping that inference in the same category as "they must be pregnant and have had a miscarriage!" or whichever of the actually absurd assumptions you have in mind is yet another dumb-as-hell assumption.

Keep thinking they're swimming in a lake of coffee surrounded by snow if that's what you want, but I promise you that you are wrong. Wait for it, and you'll see.


Woah there, because I want to avoid assumptions does not make giving credence to any other assumption. Quite that opposite actually. I do not disagree that the large set of information points to beach. Just want to point out though that just because it is the most likely answer doesn't mean curve balls can't be thrown easily. XKCD has never been above challenging your assumptions of what the stick figures represent.

Thanks for backing me up.

I honestly thought from frame one that they are on a beach. I'm just making the point that it is an assumption, just like assuming the character with hair is female and the bald one male.


I agree. I didn't point out that it could be coffee because I believe it is coffee. I've actually avoided seriously speculating at all and have been content simply to watch. I was also just making the point that it's an assumption they're at the beach. Even though that's what I believe.
Wait for it.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:56 pm UTC
by peewee_RotA
Srt252 wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:
robxlii wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:
*** wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote: Keep thinking they're swimming in a lake of coffee surrounded by snow if that's what you want, but I promise you that you are wrong. Wait for it, and you'll see.


To be fair, Randall's in Boston, so that is a completely plossible scenario.


I've got More Than a Feeling that might be possible.


Yeah. All of this is just Foreplay. It's gonna be a Long Time before we know anything for certain.


Them maybe it's time to stop checking. I don't need Amanda display a bunch of single frame animations slowly and string me along for days.


If it would just end already I might get some Peace of Mind.


If it does, Don't Look Back.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:57 pm UTC
by SilverTree
Occam's Razor for me: no coffee lake, no snow, just a beach and a (awesome) sand castle.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:57 pm UTC
by pdg
blowfishhootie wrote:Keep thinking they're swimming in a lake of coffee surrounded by snow if that's what you want, but I promise you that you are wrong. Wait for it, and you'll see.


For some unknown reason reading this gave me an uncontrollable giggle fit for a minute or two. I think my head may be coming undone.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:57 pm UTC
by spdz
Oops

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:57 pm UTC
by htom
Ignoring the castle et all, we were on forum page 68 when I was here last, now it's page 94. This is the part where I scream.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:58 pm UTC
by Envelope Generator
Godsguy wrote:
belliott4488 wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:This is probably either reaching the end, nearing another zoomout, or both.

Or they're just swimming for a while and will return to work on the castle some more ...


Or chased out of the water by flying cuttlefish?


Or James Carville on a burning alligator?

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:58 pm UTC
by Srt252
peewee_RotA wrote:
Srt252 wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:
robxlii wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:
*** wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote: Keep thinking they're swimming in a lake of coffee surrounded by snow if that's what you want, but I promise you that you are wrong. Wait for it, and you'll see.


To be fair, Randall's in Boston, so that is a completely plossible scenario.


I've got More Than a Feeling that might be possible.


Yeah. All of this is just Foreplay. It's gonna be a Long Time before we know anything for certain.


Them maybe it's time to stop checking. I don't need Amanda display a bunch of single frame animations slowly and string me along for days.


If it would just end already I might get some Peace of Mind.


If it does, Don't Look Back.


I just don't know if We're Ready, after it's over we might not be Feelin' Satisfied

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:58 pm UTC
by Dracomax
lovepirate wrote:
dp2 wrote:
xspeedballx wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote:
xspeedballx wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote:
dp2 wrote:Wanting to swim does not mean they're on a beach. I'm in an office building with no water in sight, and it's 45° outside, but I still want to swim.


I'm going to point out why this is an invalid argument, even though it is clear as day that they are on a beach and that people who insist otherwise are just being needlessly argumentative.

It's not just wanting to swim, but someone else asking you. You are in an office, so if another person came and asked you if you want to go for a swim, as happened in the comic, would make no sense whatsoever.


It has nothing to do with being arguementative and more to do with challenging assumptions. This is a thread full of them many of them shattered as quick as they appeared. We have limited information due to the medium and the presentation. It is true it is clear that they are near a body of liquid. Your analysis of dialog with context is correct, but not much else can really be assumed.


They are on a beach. That is one of the very, very few facts that is actually apparent just from looking at the frame. Yes, there have been countless dumb-as-hell assumptions put forth. That building sand castles and swimming means they are on a beach is not one of those dumb-as-hell assumptions. Lumping that inference in the same category as "they must be pregnant and have had a miscarriage!" or whichever of the actually absurd assumptions you have in mind is yet another dumb-as-hell assumption.

Keep thinking they're swimming in a lake of coffee surrounded by snow if that's what you want, but I promise you that you are wrong. Wait for it, and you'll see.


Woah there, because I want to avoid assumptions does not make giving credence to any other assumption. Quite that opposite actually. I do not disagree that the large set of information points to beach. Just want to point out though that just because it is the most likely answer doesn't mean curve balls can't be thrown easily. XKCD has never been above challenging your assumptions of what the stick figures represent.

Thanks for backing me up.

I honestly thought from frame one that they are on a beach. I'm just making the point that it is an assumption, just like assuming the character with hair is female and the bald one male.


I agree. I didn't point out that it could be coffee because I believe it is coffee. I've actually avoided seriously speculating at all and have been content simply to watch. I was also just making the point that it's an assumption they're at the beach. Even though that's what I believe.
Wait for it.

Whereas I've avoided making any kind of reasonable or likely assumptions. Which is why I'm speculating that it's lava, and they just comitted suicide.
Or it's ice cream, and they are having the best day ever.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:59 pm UTC
by mojacardave
Out of interest, to the people who saw the flag glitch, which part of the sequence was revealed ahead of time?

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:59 pm UTC
by zaphodbeebledoc
Ayriannah wrote:
belliott4488 wrote:Know what would be cool? To write code to simulate the slow erosion of a sandcastle. You could take any black pixel within some frame of coordinates that is adjacent to a white pixel below it or to the side, and give it an erosion index, starting at 1 and decreasing in random steps toward zero with each simulation step. Below some threshold, the pixel turns white and the lowest white pixel below it in the same column turns black (to simulate sand falling and piling up).

There would have to be more to it - you'd have to be careful about only unsupported bits of sand being able to fall. But this doesn't seem so difficult.

And you could use it to generate a very long sequence of images until the castle had disintegrated entirely into a stable pile of sand.

Unless you also incorporated wind, in which case it would also be slowly blown away ...

something like the game Sugar, Sugar?


Well that's an hour I'll never get back. Interestingly frustrating though...

What about Dust 2?

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:59 pm UTC
by peewee_RotA
htom wrote:Ignoring the castle et all, we were on forum page 68 when I was here last, now it's page 94. This is the part where I scream.


Fortunately any Important info you may have missed is here:
http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/XKCD_Time_Wiki

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:59 pm UTC
by xspeedballx
blowfishhootie wrote:I will accept any wager with a person who wants to argue that they are NOT swimming in water and the castles are NOT made of sand. Ignoring the few things we actually know just to spite the people who have thrown actual off-the-wall, unsubstantiated stuff out there is a stupid strategy.


I don't know you from boo, but you seem to be getting a bit emotional over this. Belligerent even. You want to gamble on the safe bet. Sounds good. I prefer to keep my thoughts open and let the story tell me what happens. You keep making assumptions(there is that word again) that I am holding my line of thought because I am either acting in defense or in spite of crazy theories. Why do I voice my preferences openly? Because I find it an interesting way to approach this, and maybe others do to? Why assume the liquid is water? Why assume the land is sand? Why assume the setting is earth? Not to say it isn't, but let the story tell me. Maybe it is just a less obsessive approach.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:00 pm UTC
by mojacardave
The hash changed, which is promising, but I didn't notice any changes in the image.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:01 pm UTC
by mscha
Just a little bit of erosion on the leftmost tower.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:02 pm UTC
by Srt252
Image

So perhaps whilst they are swimming the castle erodes away entirely? Hmmm