1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Kieryn

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Kieryn » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:31 pm UTC

Montov wrote:
thirds wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Oh, I see we're having the date-debate again. What next, Legoses?

Ok. Sorry.

I think BlitzGirl is talking about the date formatting.

For the date of the comic, 14000 years in to the future seems .. weird. Why 14000 years? I'm not dismissing the idea, but it seems way more likely the scenes are used to illustrate or help guessing the location (just as the flora and fauna).

And can somebody explain why November 7 is the date why this should be happening? Wasn't that date a first guess when talking about an upcoming moon?

November 7th was the date that seemed to most closely match the position of the sun relative to constellations. However now we know that it's probably way in the future the exact date could be a week or so away from that I think. There's actually a ton of other as yet unexplained discrepancies, so the jury is actually still out on whether the sky actually lines up with a true date or if it's just an artistically composed unreal sky.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

Burton

Postby Burton » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:35 pm UTC

I looked through the last couple of pages, but I couldn't find any reference...

Has anyone spotted the minimolpy over on the rock by where Megan was yet?

Edit: Removed an unnecessary edit.
Last edited by Burton on Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:43 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:37 pm UTC

Eutychus wrote:
Rule110 wrote:This talk of multi-millennial axial precession reminds me again of The Clock of the Long Now. That would be as neat and wow a thing as
Spoiler:
an astronomical observatory
for Megan and Cueball to find atop the mountain. The current active and planned clock locations for the Long Now project are both in North American desert regions that could (thousands of yfn) match the ecology seen. Both locations are also many hundreds of miles inland. But, sea levels can change too...

Hey, that's a great idea. I've always found that to be a mind-boggling project. While we're at it, perhaps somebody could persuade Aubron to change the backing track of his Book to Longplayer. You can get a direct online feed to it playing here. It's got just the right "wait for it" feel to it...

Just looked at the clock of the long now. That actually seems amazingly related and cool. and the fact that it's designed to last 10,000 years and we seem to be looking at roughly that timeframe in the future. Hmmm.
Image- Kieryn

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:39 pm UTC

Burton wrote:I looked through the last couple of pages, but I couldn't find any reference...

Nope. Good catch.

ETA: And Cueball's looking the wrong way.
Last edited by SBN on Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:41 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

Ashaman

Postby Ashaman » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:41 pm UTC

Hiya folks,

I've been watching the OTC since the beginning, and checking this thread periodically as well. But the astronomy talk has prompted me to finally register and throw in some experience.

Why are we assuming the bright setting object was Venus? It could just have easily be Jupiter, Saturn, or Mars. Mercury is unlikely due to the distance from the Sun, but all the other bright planets are very possible. And even if it was Venus, it will sit at or near the point of elongation for weeks to months. The actual angular separation between the planet and the Sun is a rough guess at best, depending on the angular scale of our field of view, which is imprecisely known (though we could figure it based on the current star field). There's simply no solid basis to insist that we know a single day of the year, based on an assumption of which planet we're looking at and a guess at angular separation.

And since we don't know the date and therefore the season, I think trying to figure out our latitude is also going to be a guess at best. Speculation based on the range of the boabab trees and other distinctive plants is still our most likely path.

Other than that, you all have been very entertaining, please carry on. :)

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:41 pm UTC

Burton wrote:I looked through the last couple of pages, but I couldn't find any reference...

OOOH. No I think not! But now we have - thanks Burton!

It seems it appeared on the ground a little to the right first, then moved to the rock.

Tip: The gamma level on the Book of Aubron is better for viewing for me (in chrome on a macbook) than geekwagon.
Image- Kieryn

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:48 pm UTC

diff view is useless for spotting molpies right now. i think geek wagon needs to color scheme gray differently... maybe use blue/orange for when the greys change or something... do the keepers of either book read the OTT?
Last edited by jovialbard on Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:50 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:50 pm UTC

Marsh'n wrote:
Eutychus wrote:Finally, to add to the music collection, can I suggest What a wonderful world? Or possibly Israel Kamakawiwoʻole's mashup of it with Somewhere over the rainbow?

Well, Eutychus, I hope this meets your expectations. My first commissioned OTTificaparotimeodyfilk. Original song link is above in quote. Spoilered because this is really really 1. Semi-canonical footnotes. I'd consider recording it but (a) I don't know where to get the music by itself (b) I would sound awful a capella and (c) Yappo is obviously the acclaimed songmaster here. Hint hint...

"Wowtreeful World"
Spoiler:
.... Oooo, oooo, oooo, oooo

Somewhere up on the mountain
Where they climb
Are the newpix you lONGed for
Once in the Thread of Time ...Time Oh

Somewhere nearer the big sea
Flutterbees fly
And the newpix you lONGed for
Nights really do come too ooo oooo

Tonix predix upon a star, keep
Hoping leopardmolp are far behind xe
Where rivers run and wowfall drops
High above the castle tops
That's where you'll find xe oh

Out there, just past the grapevines
Squirpy! "Hi!"
And the newpix you care for,
Oh why, oh why can't I?0 iiii

Well we see trees of wow7 and
Priklemolpies11 too
We watch and wait for Meg and for Cue
And we think to ourselves
What a Wowtreeful world

Well we see seas1 of black
And we see stars of white
And the brightness of day
We like the night
What a Wowtreeful world

The stars of the galaxy
So pretty in the sky
And all of the avatars of people Waiting by
See friends making hats saying
"How do you do?"
They're really sayin', "We, we love all you!"

We hear chickmolpy cry
And we watch it fed
There's so much more in GLRandall's head
What a Wowtreeful world

Oh, Stellarium upon the stars
Predicting where the Megball are, reminds me
Where flaming melts with "Molpy ups!"
And semencoffeesea in cups2
That's where you'll find me

Oh, somewhere up on the mountain
Way up high
And the Time that we Wait for
Why oh why can't I... iii

Ooooo,oooo,ooooo,ooooo,oooo,oooo......

0: Wait For It
1: big, rising
2: small, I hope
7: wow
11: a little prickly, really neat
GL: Good Lord!

Edit to reposition end-spoiler.

Ooh! I don't think I've ever had a commission done before! I don't have Yappo's talent or facilities, but if nothing else comes along I may try an acoustic-guitar-plus-vocals-recorded-with-a-lousy-headset-mike-on-windows-recorder later...
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:51 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:
Marsh'n wrote:
Eutychus wrote:Finally, to add to the music collection, can I suggest What a wonderful world? Or possibly Israel Kamakawiwoʻole's mashup of it with Somewhere over the rainbow?

Well, Eutychus, I hope this meets your expectations. My first commissioned OTTificaparotimeodyfilk. Original song link is above in quote. Spoilered because this is really really 1. Semi-canonical footnotes. I'd consider recording it but (a) I don't know where to get the music by itself (b) I would sound awful a capella and (c) Yappo is obviously the acclaimed songmaster here. Hint hint...

"Wowtreeful World"
Spoiler:

Where they climb

Flutterbees fly

Squirpy! "Hi!"

Priklemolpies11 too
What a Wowtreeful world

We like the night
What a Wowtreeful world

The stars of the galaxy
So pretty in the sky
"How do you do?"

We hear chickmolpy cry
And we watch it fed
What a Wowtreeful world

Way up high

Edit to reposition end-spoiler.

Cool! I was singing that to myself a week or two ago and thought of filking it, but then just forgot about it. Glad someone else thought to do it! :)

How did I miss this!? This is awefulsome!! :mrgreen:
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

Marsh'n

Postby Marsh'n » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:54 pm UTC

Ashaman wrote:Hiya folks,
[...] But the astronomy talk has prompted me to finally register and throw in some experience.

Hiya back Ashaman. Glad that you have been inspired/prompted to join us! I look forward to the discussion of why, in fact, we should assume Venus rather than Jupiter, or vice versa. (Of course, I have to root for Mars.)

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:59 pm UTC

Marsh'n wrote:
[...] But the astronomy talk has prompted me to finally register and throw in some experience.

Hiya back Ashaman. Glad that you have been inspired/prompted to join us! I look forward to the discussion of why, in fact, we should assume Venus rather than Jupiter, or vice versa. (Of course, I have to root for Mars.)

I had thought it was established that only Venus moves through that constellation in that way in it's path through the celestial sphere. Though I don't know astronomy, so I'm not the one to ask. (I just jump in when someone says something that seems illogical so that I can A) challenge their assumptions and B) learn something new if it turns out to be quite logical for a reason I don't understand.)
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!

Wildhound

Postby Wildhound » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:00 pm UTC

SOMESORTOFONG

There's a definite molpy on the move.
Now and forever, a staunch TimeKeeper amongst heretics.

OTC Android Live Wallpaper

sford

Postby sford » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:02 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:Being a brit immersed in the US culture I've become hit by just about all date formats...

Being US-born and raised, but now working for an international company, I write todays' date as 28-Jun-2013. No chance for people misunderstanding me. But you're right - when receiving numeric dates from my colleagues sometimes requires probabilistic guesses for what date was meant. "Hmm ... He's from India and he said 10/11/2013. Does he mean Oct and he's being nice to his dumb American colleague, or does he mean Nov and he's doing it the way he learned?"

Burton

Postby Burton » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:07 pm UTC

Uh oh, anyone see where the minimolpy went?

Cueball better be on his guard! Those things can be dangerous...

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:14 pm UTC

I have to admit: it is nice when you are warned about unspoilered CurrentFrames.
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

HES

Postby HES » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:19 pm UTC

Burton wrote:Uh oh, anyone see where the minimolpy went?

Cueball better be on his guard! Those things can be dangerous...

It's looking for it's rock friend that Megan picked up before nightfall

Unrelated, these last few newpages have had an unusually high othercomic reference density
He/Him/His Image

Ashaman

Postby Ashaman » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:19 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote:I had thought it was established that only Venus moves through that constellation in that way in it's path through the celestial sphere.

All the planets move along a line called the ecliptic, which is essentially just the plane of rotation for our whole solar system. (Pluto is the exception, but Pluto is no longer formally a planet). Over time, just about every planet will follow the Sun shortly after sunset, which is what we are seeing here, but that's mostly because the planets and Sun are all just sitting at different points on the ecliptic as the whole sky appears to spin overhead. Knowing which planet we are looking at really requires multiple observations over months (or a pair of good binoculars, or a good astronomy program and knowing the current date)

I should add that we just recently (in the real world) had a conjunction of 3 planets that were all near the Sun: Jupiter, Venus, and Mercury were all close together within an hour of sunset, and their relative positions changed night after night.
Last edited by Ashaman on Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:25 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:22 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote:diff view is useless for spotting molpies right now. i think geek wagon needs to color scheme gray differently... maybe use blue/orange for when the greys change or something... do the keepers of either book read the OTT?

Where is mscha when you need him?! :)
However, I think GLR might have spotted something in our discussions that might be heading towards a truth and we might be homing in more quickly than he anticipated. Therefore - he throws in a molpy to distract us. :)

jovialbard wrote:
Marsh'n wrote:

I had thought it was established that only Venus moves through that constellation in that way in it's path through the celestial sphere. Though I don't know astronomy, so I'm not the one to ask. (I just jump in when someone says something that seems illogical so that I can A) challenge their assumptions and B) learn something new if it turns out to be quite logical for a reason I don't understand.)

That's right - the other planets do not show up in that exact position (at least at present time +/- 5000 years). Venus however appears in that exact spot every several years reliably.

Regarding Venus being at the point of elongation for weeks -- this is true, however because the earth and venus are both moving together around the sun, the position of venus against the background of stars still moves. It's all becomes obvious when you start playing with Stellarium.
Image- Kieryn

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:26 pm UTC

It's bracket mania here. I love brackets! (I wrote this in brackets and all)

Sod the future: I love the thread's past!
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:37 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
airdrik wrote:Small request of the image-stitchers: stitch together the images of the sky to produce a map of the sky as seen so far (and/or wait until time's morning and produce the full map of the sky).
It could be useful for comparison with the real sky, but mostly just for show, as one of the artifacts of the OTT, like the animations and the panoramas and such.

That's way above my pay grade, I'm afraid. The stars are rotating, not moving linearly, after all.

This is what I was able to come up with:
Photoshop did it for me. It starts with newpix 2392 (including tree and everything) and ends with 2414 (I have used only the upper half of those pictures without the tree, which also means that it could be a bit larger on the left side but this information was lost when I cropped those images. I may try to include parts of the sky to the left of the tree but it's not that easy).

Redundant:
Spoiler:
2392-2414-sky-panorama.png
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:38 pm UTC

mscha wrote:It could, of course, simply be the case that [heresy]Randall made a mistake[/heresy]

I also wouldn't rule out he's just must*rding with us... :P
Go Minim go!

Wildhound

Postby Wildhound » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:43 pm UTC

NoMouse wrote:<snip>
This is what I was able to come up with:
Spoiler:

Photoshop did it for me. It starts with newpix 2392 (including tree and everything) and ends with 2414 (I have used only the upper half of those pictures without the tree, which also means that it could be a bit larger on the left side but this information was lost when I cropped those images. I may try to include parts of the sky to the left of the tree but it's not that easy).

Redundant:
Spoiler:
2392-2414-sky-panorama.png

Excellent work, thanks for this.
Now and forever, a staunch TimeKeeper amongst heretics.

OTC Android Live Wallpaper

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:52 pm UTC

Marsh'n wrote:"Wowtreeful World"
Spoiler:

Where they climb

Flutterbees fly

Squirpy! "Hi!"

Priklemolpies11 too
What a Wowtreeful world

We like the night
What a Wowtreeful world

The stars of the galaxy
So pretty in the sky
"How do you do?"

We hear chickmolpy cry
And we watch it fed
What a Wowtreeful world

Way up high

⁷treeful! Image
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:53 pm UTC

Zorin_75 wrote:
mscha wrote:It could, of course, simply be the case that [heresy]Randall made a mistake[/heresy]

I also wouldn't rule out he's just must*rding with us... :P

In case it was missed here's my amusing suggestion regarding Randall and mustard.
Image- Kieryn

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:04 pm UTC

Montov wrote:
thirds wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Oh, I see we're having the date-debate again. What next, Legoses?

Ok. Sorry.

I think BlitzGirl is talking about the date formatting.

Yep, that's what I meant. Check back on newpage 507 if you want to enjoy more of that. :wink:

moody7277 wrote:As Cueball isn't comaing (as of now anyway), we don't get to fast forward. Since sunset was about 3 hrs ago (in-comic time), we probably still have 7-12 hrs * 12 np/hr = 84-144 np of night left. Tedious perhaps, but not as much as trudging across several flat scenes with only the ocassional molpy to relieve the monotony.

As I know very, very little about astronomy, I think this era is more tedious for me, personally. Though I am happy to see a molpy. :)

Kieryn wrote:However, I think GLR might have spotted something in our discussions that might be heading towards a truth and we might be homing in more quickly than he anticipated. Therefore - he throws in a molpy to distract us. :)

Perhaps he noticed we were getting bored?

yappobiscuits wrote:Redundant spoiler
Spoiler:

Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:07 pm UTC

INDUSONG

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:08 pm UTC

Mini molpy!

How did I miss that? There's definitely something moving around in the last few frames.
(Earlier on, something funny is going on with the ground level. But I'm assuming that's just an artifact of the darkening.)
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:08 pm UTC

Ok, here's version with more sky on the left:
Spoiler:

Added newpix 2415 (meanwhile another newpix was released). Also, be warned. There could be missing stars. I can't confirm it but I did another version using different projection and there were some stars missing when compared to this one.
Edit: also, it is scaled down for some reason. It was automated process so I can't really affect that. So some small stars are almost definitely missing.
Edit2: Oh god, I was wrong. It wasn't missing stars on the other version. It was non-existing extra stars on this version... Therefore this more deformed version is probably more accurate:
Spoiler:

Redundant:
Spoiler:
2392-2415-sky-panorama.png
2392-2415-sky-panorama2.png
Redundant spoiler is redundant.
Last edited by NoMouse on Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:22 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:12 pm UTC

mscha wrote:Mini molpy!

How did I miss that? There's definitely something moving around in the last few frames.
(Earlier on, something funny is going on with the ground level. But I'm assuming that's just an artifact of the darkening.)

It's a stream.
Image- Kieryn

Montov

Postby Montov » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:19 pm UTC

How long is the night going to last? Well, my guestimate is that Cueball will wake up Megan halfway. So it's going to be a long night.

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:20 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:In case it was missed here's my amusing suggestion regarding Randall and mustard.

:)
She's great BTW, love that voice.

All astro-nitpicking aside...
When consulting the book of Aubron, switching from frame #1 to the current one, it's a startling contrast. Detail has subtly but constantly been increasing...

We started from this very minimalistic image:

Then travled through a quite dull landscape...

followed by a slightly less dull landscape...

then it got richer and richer...
(click for zoomable panorama...)

filled with grass, bushes, wowtrees, molpies and a wowterfall...

to now THIS:

Wow. I expected it to be long. And it was. And I expected it to be big. It was. I just didn't expect it to be so NEAT.

Spoiler:
time1.png
time1.png (3.67 KiB) Viewed 12295 times

pano_1_tn.png
pano_1_tn.png (3.2 KiB) Viewed 12295 times

pano_2_tn.png
pano_2_tn.png (2.58 KiB) Viewed 12295 times

pano_3_tn.png

wowterfall.gif

starrysky.gif
Last edited by Zorin_75 on Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:23 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Go Minim go!

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:21 pm UTC

Why are we calling the molpy a "mini" molpy? It seems to be traditional molpy size.

(Excluding Lucky and the pokeymolp, of course.)
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:24 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Why are we calling the molpy a "mini" molpy? It seems to be traditional molpy size.

It is. I believe this is an origimolpy.
Image- Kieryn

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:26 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Why are we calling the molpy a "mini" molpy? It seems to be traditional molpy size.

A molpy made from folding paper?
Voice of the Silent
Owner of the contents of Cueball's head
Lurking Time-Ninja of the Past-Post

Ebonite

Postby Ebonite » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:29 pm UTC

Not that anyone's noticed, but I've been away for a while. I've suffered a bit of an upheaval in my life: to keep it short and sweet, two weeks ago, I got laid off from my job after 24 years with the same company, and so I have been spending all of my time working on what's next. I'm not going to go into any details here since I'm still not over the emotional impact, but suffice it to say that retirement is not an option with two kids in college and one in high school, so my time is occupied with finding another position as soon as possible.

I've temporarily emerged from my self-imposed exile to say a couple of things:
  • I'm sorry to see that Charlie Grumbles left the forum so unceremoniously for such a silly thing. I'm sure it was important to him at the time, but I hope he has a change of heart. Everyone in this community wants a hatted avatar. Everyone wants a personalized smiley. Everyone would like to be immortalized in a filk/parody. I certainly would. However, as I've been reminded this month, there are more important things in life to worry about than getting the ONG or being pope. The fact is, there is a certain core group of people that keep this community going; you can tell who they are, not just by the number of posts they make, but by the complexity, substance, and artistry of the contributions they make beyond the simple one-line comments that add to post counts. If they are the one who appear in all of the present presents, I will have absolutely no problem with it, because without them, the OTT would be a lot more ordinary.
  • Speaking of complexity, substance, and artistry: I couldn't stay silent on this. kenmelken, this was simply amazing. Thank you for this. It made my day.
    kenmelken wrote:One Pix More
    based on "One Day More" from Les Miserables
  • I haven't been posting here since I've been spending my time on more critical things, but I've been trying to keep up with reading the forum. The scientist in me has wanted to jump into the astronomy discussions, but I simply haven't had the time. (Plus, I'd fallen far behind, and didn't want to blindpost.) Thank you all very much for keeping me sane and grounded over the past couple of weeks. Please don't slow down...if you don't see me posting for a few weeks, know that I'll still be reading. I hope to be back to normal soon.
Sir Ebonite, Lord of the Three Holes
"molpy molpy molpy molpy la la la"

HES

Postby HES » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:31 pm UTC

Zorin_75 wrote:All astro-nitpicking aside...
When consulting the book of Aubron, switching from frame #1 to the current one, it's a startling contrast. Detail has subtly but constantly been increasing...

I'd noticed this. I figure as time went on GLR got bored and found new ways to add detail. The progression of vegetation and molpilation is clear
He/Him/His Image

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:34 pm UTC

TimeLurker wrote:
Kieryn wrote:

That would be an origamolpi

thirds

Postby thirds » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:35 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote:
TimeLurker wrote:
Kieryn wrote:

That would be an origamolpi

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:36 pm UTC

HES wrote:
Zorin_75 wrote:All astro-nitpicking aside...

I'd noticed this. I figure as time went on GLR got bored and found new ways to add detail. The progression of vegetation and molpilation is clear

In a year, it will be in photorealistic quality.

sford

Postby sford » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:38 pm UTC

Ebonite wrote:...I'm sorry to see that Charlie Grumbles left the forum so unceremoniously for such a silly thing. I'm sure it was important to him at the time...

Based on my own personal experience, I wonder if he realized that *he* was taking things too seriously. Perhaps he has an obsessive streak in him (like I do), and when he felt so wronged over banter about an on-line comic, he knew he had to separate himself from it. I've had to do that before.

It can take a long time to fully internalize that the problem is within one's self. And sometimes the best solution is to just not get into those situations.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”