1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:33 pm UTC

Cupcakes? :D And whatnot?

taixzo wrote:ETA: Also, wouldn't a cue refer to the height of Cueball, not the length?

Yep. Fixed. Not sure who added that one, the definition's been around for a while.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:35 pm UTC

richP wrote:
Rule110 wrote:(snip) Also, it seems Queen has misled me. No fat-bottomed girls are riding today.
(snip)

Nah, Queen didn't mislead you. The fat-bottomed girls are too busy making the rockin world go round to bother with the TdF. Now get on yer bikes and ride!

But first ask the nice FBG "would you cry if I told you that I lied and would you say goodbye or would you let it ride"
What if the FBG's name is Sally, what then?
ETA - never mind. Posts got pushed down...
What?? pope again? It's a conspiracy, I tell you? Obvious decree is obvious: continue finding "ride" songs. No Wagner allowed :mrgreen:
Last edited by cellocgw on Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:22 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

RudeDude

Postby RudeDude » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:35 pm UTC

Hey everyone. I just created my forum account and I have some stuff to say on the ways to decode Beanish. Namely using hidden markov models to classify characters based on their frequency AND sequence. I'm awaiting moderation. :-/ Its possible my first attempt to post was killed by moderation since I tried to sneak in a reference URL so I thought I'd try a "clean" post.

Hope to see you all soon!

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:40 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Cupcakes? :D And whatnot?

Of course.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, Vytron, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

richP

Postby richP » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:45 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote:
To summarize, it's probably either English written in a weird phonetic alphabet, which should be relatively simple to crack. If it isn't, it's probably a made up language, and our only real hope is to start to get used to specific words and begin developing a vocabulary from scratch.

So as soon as we can identify the most common beanie phrase, we know that it means "yeah", based on the speech pattern of the OTC.

HES

Postby HES » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:45 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
taixzo wrote:ETA: Also, wouldn't a cue refer to the height of Cueball, not the length?

Yep. Fixed. Not sure who added that one, the definition's been around for a while.

To be fair, a person's length (think lying down) is the same thing as their height - but height is certainly a better definition
He/Him/His Image

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:49 pm UTC

HES wrote:To be fair, a person's length (think lying down) is the same thing as their height - but height is certainly a better definition
You neglect gravity. People stretch out a bit lying down.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:51 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:

Of course.
Spoiler:

Yum!

I'm holding onto the hope that Beanish is actually English encoded as Beanish symbols. I know that may not make sense in terms of the OTC (Cuegan would be hearing English words), but that would make things infinitely easier for us. If GLR's gone the full Tolkien and invented a new language, we're chirped.

ETA for pagepope:
Magic Carpet Ride, by Steppenwolf
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

thirds

Postby thirds » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:57 pm UTC

RudeDude wrote:Hey everyone. I just created my forum account and I have some stuff to say on the ways to decode Beanish. Namely using hidden markov models to classify characters based on their frequency AND sequence. I'm awaiting moderation. :-/ Its possible my first attempt to post was killed by moderation since I tried to sneak in a reference URL so I thought I'd try a "clean" post.

Welcome!

The problem with that is, you're classifying into what? What if these characters are logograms?

BlitzGirl wrote:I'm holding onto the hope that Beanish is actually English encoded as Beanish symbols. I know that may not make sense in terms of the OTC (Cuegan would be hearing English words), but that would make things infinitely easier for us. If GLR's gone the full Tolkien and invented a new language, we're chirped.

Agreed.

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:58 pm UTC

One never knows what sort of demands a blackmailer will make!
Spoiler:
Screen Shot 2013-07-09 at 2.54.31 PM.png
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:59 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:I'm holding onto the hope that Beanish is actually English encoded as Beanish symbols. I know that may not make sense in terms of the OTC (Cuegan would be hearing English words), but that would make things infinitely easier for us. If GLR's gone the full Tolkien and invented a new language, we're chirped.

I think you underestimate us.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, Vytron, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:00 pm UTC

In terms of the individual "letters," I don't think anyone has mentioned the Theban alphabet.

However, I happen to agree with those who say it would make more sense to me that we are meant to learn the words by context, like one would learn a new language in real life (someone who cannot read or write can still speak). Thus, we don't even have to know the alphabet, we just need to be able to recognize the words. But in this case we are learning it visually instead of auditorially1 (is that a word?)

1 or, as is the case with sign language, a different version of visual, with both full words and individual letters.

Small Wall of Reply Posts:
Spoiler:
pelrigg wrote:Dr. LivingstONGs, I believe?

Edit
Beanie cap is cultural.

I did not approve these hats. Oh ... wait ... I'm not the millner anymore ... carry on!

BytEfLUSh wrote:Blindpost from NP 1033...

Today I was robbed at gunpoint at work, just while I was following the OTT. Feeling kind of stressed now, but funny thing is - as soon as I got home I opened the OTT and continued reading from where I left off... I know this is really offtopic, but I had to say it.

Oh! That's terrible!! Of course you're feeling kind of stressed!

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:02 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
taixzo wrote:

Of course.
Spoiler:

Yum!

I'm holding onto the hope that Beanish is actually English encoded as Beanish symbols. I know that may not make sense in terms of the OTC (Cuegan would be hearing English words), but that would make things infinitely easier for us. If GLR's gone the full Tolkien and invented a new language, we're chirped.

ETA for pagepope:
Magic Carpet Ride, by Steppenwolf

Well, it could also be English with the letters mixed up and then put into a funky alphabet.

Like instead of yeah, he switched the h and y sounds, so it would be heay. Then Cuegan wouldn't know what the other people are saying, but it would still be relatively easy to translate to English (still just a letter substitution game).
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:04 pm UTC

ridONG off into the sunset
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:05 pm UTC

Ride songs you say? All aboard the last ride of the day!

Hmm, now I'm thinking of this song, I'd quite like to ottify it at some point...
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:06 pm UTC

Hi, RudeDude! Nice to meet you! :)

fhorn wrote:One never knows what sort of demands a blackmailer will make!
Spoiler:

I can't tell what I saw if I'm distracted by cupcakes. :mrgreen:

For pagepope:
Ticket to Ride, by the Beatles
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:07 pm UTC

Vytron wrote:Time travelers may not click this spoiler

This time traveler did not notice that :oops: :oops:
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:07 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:I understand that we can't be definitive, but remember that this isn't the real world and we can also add reasonable assumptions about authorial intent to our information. It's probably what it seems to be, for much the same reason that the unseen thing that causes some passersby to stop and gasp in surprise at the start of a Law and Order episode is probably going to be a dead body and not a birthday cake. Randall could mislead us about the language at every step, making us look stupid for failing to consider every conceivable possibility instead of the most likely ones, but why? There's no evidence that's what the story is about.

Geez, next you'll be saying the stuff on the beach was sand instead of snowcoffeebabies.

Valarya wrote:
SinusPi wrote:Also, the two-letter groups ImageImage from speech 1, ImageImage from speech 4 and ImageImage from the end of speech 4 are identical, save for a diacritic or something.

In speech 1, he's speaking to Megan. In speech 4 he's talking to his buddy. At first I was going to say it could denote a question (where did you come from? / can you run and get the medicine?) but that doesn't make sense with it twice in one speech, at the beginning and end. So I'm just still at a loss and will continue to condiment in silence as I have done these past many NPs whilst the linguists figure stuff out. :|

It could be something like 'you' (see below) or 'what', but looking at Cuegan's dialogue (and remembering that the beanies are probably as surprised by the language barrier as Cuegan) it could easily be 'um' or 'yeah'.

Megan: Hi. We're from far away, and my leg is hurt. Can you help us?
Beanie 1: Whatyou say?
Beanie 2: Why is she talking like that?
Cueball: Huh.
Megan: Ok. Umm.
Beanie 2: Get the disinfectant cream.
Beanie 2: You will feel better once I put this on you.
Cueball: They seem to know what they're doing.
Megan: Yeah. I wonder what that is.
Megan: That. What is that?
Beanie 2: Disinfectant cream

etc. (edited to add another 'you' at the end of speech 4, since I hadn't noticed that and had misunderstood what SinusPi said, but it turns out a 'you' does make sense there.)

jovialbard wrote:rarely do phonetic groupings (that aren't whole words) actually hold meaning. There are obvious exceptions to that, 's' or 'ed' at the end of a word for example, but that gives us little help in translating.
Actually, it's quite common for phonetic groupings that aren't whole words to hold meaning. They're called morphemes ('s' and 'ed' are examples), and my very inexpert estimation is that there are about 22 of them in that 14-word sentence (the one beginning with 'actually'.)
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

Montov

Postby Montov » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:10 pm UTC

fhorn wrote:ridONG off into the sunset
Spoiler:

Sunset? I'm expecting something dusty. One of the beanies is probably names Dusty.

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:10 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:If GLR's gone the full Tolkien and invented a new language, we're chirped.
Nah. Depends on how simply the Beanies talk, at least for now. They could be talking upgoer-five.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:14 pm UTC

First (and second) post bump:
NetWeasel wrote:Hi, first post...

It's possible that the symbol to the left of "magic salve" (the repeated phrase) is the NAME of the third Beanie...

(just to make it worse)

NetWeasel wrote:
Bear in mind that some of (the repeated text) may be the location of the ointment - i.e. "Go get the ointment from the box in the little hut" or something.

"That. What is that?"
"The ointment from the box in the little hut."

ohmiRandall, we might have germanic wordtogethersquishen! That would just be mean....

Welcome, NetWeasel!
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

RudeDude

Postby RudeDude » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:16 pm UTC

thirds wrote:Welcome!

The problem with that is, you're classifying into what? What if these characters are logograms?

An HMM analysis will at least tell us the most likely transitions between classes and what might be in classes. Admittedly this might only be helpful in the case that we have some character re-encoding of an english/latin like language but even in the case of logograms it could provide help insights as we begin to try and assign meanings to the symbols and suddenly we have statistical evidence for putting certain symbols together in a class. (e.g. Adverbs, Verbs, Nouns where adverbs may have a higher likelihood to proceed/follow a verb).
Last edited by RudeDude on Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:17 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:17 pm UTC

thirds wrote:
RudeDude wrote:Hey everyone. I just created my forum account and I have some stuff to say on the ways to decode Beanish. Namely using hidden markov models to classify characters based on their frequency AND sequence. I'm awaiting moderation. :-/ Its possible my first attempt to post was killed by moderation since I tried to sneak in a reference URL so I thought I'd try a "clean" post.

Welcome!

Here's the corresponding firstpost (thrown forward because of the sneaked-in URL):
RudeDude wrote:
ZoomanSP wrote:
Spoiler:
However, we shouldn't neglect frequency analyses. For example, subjecting the Latin alphabet to a grouping similar to BlitzGirl's grouping of the Beanish characters might result in something like this (the assignment of some characters, like U, J, or K, may be debated):

The hills and valleys: AMNUVWXY
The sticks with curves: BDPR
The circulars: CGOQ
The rectangulars: EFHIJLT
The kay: K
The snakes: SZ

I don't know whether this might be helpful do decode English, or any other language written with Latin characters.

Hey everyone. Finally created a fora account. Been trawling whenever interesting ONG's happen (am I using that right?). The language has me especially intrigued because I know of a useful technique to apply. Hidden Markov Models conduct what is essentially a combination of both frequency analysis AND sequencing analysis. A nice introduction is available in ( 3wdot cs.sjsu.edu /~stamp /RUA /HMM.pdf )this document by Mark Stamp, you can skip the math if you want and look at section 8. HMMs are unsupervised learning, i.e. you don't need "ground truth" to build the model like you would with linear regression.

Section 8 spoiler (tl;dr):
Spoiler:
Using an HMM to try and separate English characters (all lowercase and no punctuation) into 2 groups finds the class of "vowel" and "consonant" in a fully automated fashion. Although the model only knows it as "state 1" and "state 2" those who know English can see it is this way.

Anyway, thanks for the work of creating the Time-Wiki page about Beanish as I will try and use that data and will post results here later.

-- RudeDude
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:19 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:<snip>
It could be something like 'you' (see below) or 'what', but looking at Cuegan's dialogue (and remembering that the beanies are probably as surprised by the language barrier as Cuegan) it could easily be 'um' or 'yeah'.

Spoiler:

Angelastic, I find this explanation consistent with what I posted above. Thus, I approve. Huzzah!

ucim wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:If GLR's gone the full Tolkien and invented a new language, we're chirped.
Nah. Depends on how simply the Beanies talk, at least for now. They could be talking upgoer-five.

Jose

Maybe we can make a reasonable assumption (hypothesis?) that Randall will have the Beanies speak in the same type of simple terms as Cuegan.

On the other hand, maybe it's Latin. Using the Theban alphabet. Backwards. And Mirrored. And a Word Jumble. With some letters right side up and some letters upside down.

ETA self-referencial URL
Last edited by buffygirl on Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:22 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:20 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:I can't tell what I saw if I'm distracted by cupcakes. :mrgreen:

or flowers...
Spoiler:
bribery.jpg
bribery.jpg (15.76 KiB) Viewed 13171 times

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:23 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:It could be something like 'you' (see below) or 'what', but looking at Cuegan's dialogue (and remembering that the beanies are probably as surprised by the language barrier as Cuegan) it could easily be 'um' or 'yeah'.

etc. (edited to add another 'you' at the end of speech 4, since I hadn't noticed that and had misunderstood what SinusPi said, but it turns out a 'you' does make sense there.)

jovialbard wrote:rarely do phonetic groupings (that aren't whole words) actually hold meaning. There are obvious exceptions to that, 's' or 'ed' at the end of a word for example, but that gives us little help in translating.
Actually, it's quite common for phonetic groupings that aren't whole words to hold meaning. They're called morphemes ('s' and 'ed' are examples), and my very inexpert estimation is that there are about 22 of them in that 14-word sentence (the one beginning with 'actually'.)

In the forth text the beanie guy doesn't seem to be talking to Megan, so I doubt your translation. To me it's more something along the lines of "Wow, look at that claw mark" or "Must have been a meowpy attack" or something. (eta: though he could be talking to the other guy and saying "hey you, look at that claw wound, you")

Fine, fine, morphemes, get all knowledgeable on me. However, I stand by the larger point that I'm making, that simply looking for 'ed' doesn't tell you much. You can see it all over the place, but it's hard to know when and where it actually has the same meaning unless you have a huge body of text, otherwise it could simply be a common phoneme, and purely coincidental. The meat and potatoes of understanding a language comes from the nouns and verbs, not the 'ly' or 'ed' or 's' or 'ing' type stuff.
Last edited by jovialbard on Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:29 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:24 pm UTC

HES wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:

To be fair, a person's length (think lying down) is the same thing as their height - but height is certainly a better definition

There's a precedent: one Smoot is definitely a lying-down length of a person.
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Ximenez

What about the bag?

Postby Ximenez » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:28 pm UTC

One of the Beanies looked intrigued by Cuegan's bag. Because of the fabric, skin, whatever it is made of? Because of the smell? Thinking what could it possibly contain?

It seems we should be intrigued as well, but I haven't seen any discussion about it. (Disclaimer: I haven't read the whole thread, maybe half of it.)

What's in this bag? Only old grapes from the grapevine grapevine? Preserved eyeballs from Cuegan's ancestors? Semencaffeinecancerbabiesonice samples?

Sorry about the linguistics-free post, but this has been bugging me for a while.

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:33 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:
HES wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:

There's a precedent: one Smoot is definitely a lying-down length of a person.

Probably my "fault". In Dutch, it'd be weird to say "Cueball is 1 meter 80 hoog", that would suggest he's standing on something 6 feet high; we say "Cueball is 1 meter 80 lang."
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

CasCat

Re: What about the bag?

Postby CasCat » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:34 pm UTC

Ximenez wrote:One of the Beanies looked intrigued by Cuegan's bag. Because of the material? Because of the smell? Thinking what could it possibly contain?

It seems we should be intrigued as well, but I haven't seen any discussion about it. (Disclaimer: I haven't read the whole thread, maybe half of it.)

What's in this bag? Only old grapes from the grapevine grapevine? Preserved eyeballs from Cuegan's ancestors? Semencaffeinecancerbabiesonice samples?

Sorry about the linguistics-free post, but this has been bugging me for a while.

Remember; Cueball's bag was ripped up by the raptor-meowpie's claws. Maybe that's what the Beanie is seeing. "Wow; good thing that incomprehensible-guy was carrying that bag; must have saved his life from the keyboard...."
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:35 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote:In the forth text the beanie guy doesn't seem to be talking to Megan, so I doubt your translation.

Ah, right. I was just quickly looking at the dialogue page on the wiki, and since it doesn't link to the frames, I didn't see the context of the speech.

By the way, does anyone else think the beanies are statistically more likely to be female, what with being the same height as Megan? I've been thinking of them as being female, not that anyone's chirpytalia or molpysomes have anything to do with the story. I motion that we call them beanies rather than beanie guys until we see sex scenes or have some way to tell them apart to assign them names and genders.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
my robot army.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:36 pm UTC

I've been thinking of Beanie-2, at least, as female. Hence the neutral "Beanie Bunch" versus "Beanie guys."

CasCat wrote:Remember; Cueball's bag was ripped up by the raptor-meowpie's claws. Maybe that's what the Beanie is seeing. "Wow; good thing that incomprehensible-guy was carrying that bag; must have saved his life from the keyboard...."

I thought that Cueball took Megan's bag, since it was not ruined by the attack. So this one shouldn't have any bite/claw marks.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:38 pm UTC

fhorn wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:I can't tell what I saw if I'm distracted by cupcakes. :mrgreen:

or flowers...
Spoiler:
bribery.jpg

What's it called when you try to bribe a blackmailer to tell what she saw? Let's call it...
Spoiler:
Baconmail!

If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:39 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:
fhorn wrote:

or flowers...
Spoiler:
bribery.jpg

What's it called when you try to bribe a blackmailer to tell what she saw? Let's call it...
Spoiler:
Baconmail!

Dead meat? :P
Haiku Detector
my robot army.

Ximenez

Postby Ximenez » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:40 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
CasCat wrote:Remember; Cueball's bag was ripped up by the raptor-meowpie's claws. Maybe that's what the Beanie is seeing. "Wow; good thing that incomprehensible-guy was carrying that bag; must have saved his life from the keyboard...."

I thought that Cueball took Megan's bag, since it was not ruined by the attack. So this one shouldn't have any bite/claw marks.

Right. This is frame 2310 (mscha):

Spoiler:
What is "everything"?
Last edited by Ximenez on Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:45 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

thirds

Postby thirds » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:43 pm UTC

RudeDude wrote:
thirds wrote:Welcome!

An HMM analysis will at least tell us the most likely transitions between classes and what might be in classes. Admittedly this might only be helpful in the case that we have some character re-encoding of an english/latin like language but even in the case of logograms it could provide help insights as we begin to try and assign meanings to the symbols and suddenly we have statistical evidence for putting certain symbols together in a class. (e.g. Adverbs, Verbs, Nouns where adverbs may have a higher likelihood to proceed/follow a verb).

Part of speech tagging? We'd need much more data and some initial categorization, and that's again, assuming this isn't a highly compounded language, in which case you would need to learn the stemming first.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:46 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:
Rule110 wrote:
fhorn wrote:

or flowers...

Spoiler:
Baconmail!

Dead meat? :P

Om nom nom dead meat. Image
But I promised I wouldn't tell! I will not be swayed by your tasty baconmail!
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:55 pm UTC

Blitzgirl and Ximenez, good catch.

And give me one of those bacon-hearts, and I'll tell you *anything*. (Then I'll die of a heart attack, but I'll die happy...)
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

karhell

Postby karhell » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:59 pm UTC

Karhell's letters to the Denizens of the OTT
Chapter 9, I think. No verses, I'm going freestyle

===== Summary =====
From now on, I'll try to keep things short.

I forgot to mention in my last post that I encountered, read, and enjoyed immensely scenes 3 and 4 or ucim's epic tale (also finally noticed that they have an index on the wiki, so won't bother you by reposting them).

The trouble with signposting is that very often, you signpost, read a few posts down, and encounter something else that is quite signpost-worthy.
For instance, half a page after my last signpost, I finally came across the first appearance of the molpy, the coinage of the term "molpy" by BlitzGirl, along with some very fun image enhancing. (i'd been wondering about that for quite a while, what with all the molpy-related-sigs)

Next interesting event is on NP 630, while Cueball leaves alone and stops to molest some local bush.
Somewhere round there, mscha suggests using standard footnotes (saw those in your sig a long time ago, wondered where they came from)
mscha wrote:⁰: can't we just standardize footnotes, so that ¹ is always big, ² is small and ³ is neat? That'll save some typing.

Yet another sig mystery explained (all in due Time ^^)
BlitzGirl wrote:Hmm. Well, I'm not going to accept the Customership if I don't have to.

I'm just going to call myself the Mopey Molpy Mome for this newpage.

More newcomers !
Spoiler:
rmcurtis wrote:Hi everybody. I'm de-lurking after following this thread since the beginning. I have to say, it's been very entertaining. I wish I had the free time to participate, but I don't.

So, tonight I sit down with my daughter to help her with her homework. And the first page of the homework is about the Dead Sea. And right away, in my mind, there's StratPlayer nodding his head knowingly, saying "See, it's ALL related."

So, I'm posting to say:

Get out of my head, OTT! :-)

With that off of my chest, maybe I'll post again sometime. (I have been tempted to ONG in the slow times, but the mod queue would have rendered that useless!)

--Ryan

PS - I'm in Seattle, and surprised to see how many posters here are in the Seattle area. Hi to you all.

LeahLemur wrote:Hello World!

I'm registering & delurking now, having waited, blitzed and spilt lots and lots of condiments all over the work I should've been doing for a long, long, time.
Just wanted to thank y'all for being crazy enough to stick with this and being SO creative! The songs, gifs, smileys, cupcakes and the hats! I believe I'm positively flabbergasted...

And yeah, I was thinking of the Wintersun reference all the Time ;-)

See you when I get out of mod queue, can't wait for ucim's next scene!

TimeLurker wrote:long Time lurker, first Time poster.

I have far too much outside (work, kids, new house to fix up, eating, etc.) to be a true follower of the OTC, but did want to delurk for just a moment and thank all of you for the seemingly hopefully unending entertainment that is the OTT.

Don't mind that scurrying sound in the background, it's not the molpy, just me slipping back into the shadows.

Aaaaaand a brilliant analysis of the OTC so far (NP636) :
viewtopic.php?p=3357848#p3357848

mid-NP 638 : a disheartened post from kryton, seeking guidance on the subject of signposting... The era of the grumps is indeed a difficult one for blitzers. Kryton, I hope you'll be a tough spud and keep on signposting

Well, that's about it. Back to reading.

--karhell - logging out at the top of NP 639
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
lmjb1964 wrote:We're weird but it's okay.
ColletArrow, katakissa, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:01 pm UTC

:shock:

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”