1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

charlie_grumbles

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby charlie_grumbles » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:21 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
Hairdo wrote:You arose here from the desert below?
Nobody ....pires there.

Edit: note the use of ° as a question mark, pretty much proving that we were right.
I can't figure out that second-last word. Anyone?

I think the intent is "nobody lives there". Look at the light text. Resides is as close as I can get, but it isn't a perfect fit.

ETA lots of ninja posting, but I think mscha got it. Transpires as in "nothing transpires there" using a similar context.
Last edited by charlie_grumbles on Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:24 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:21 pm UTC

NetWeasel wrote:While .5000.... is not equal to .499999..... and therefore has an infinite number of reals between them...

Are you sure about that? :? I'm pretty sure it is.
Can you describe one of those infinite number of reals that are between them?

Edit: silly post to be Poped on.
Decree: As you were.
Last edited by Rule110 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:28 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:22 pm UTC

Whoa. I think there's a "sand dunes" vertically on the right. Anybody have a guess what's in the first layer at the top? "To... fortress"?

ETA: or "sand" and "lives"...? She speaks really kind of blotchy. :shock:
Spoiler:
arose.png
Last edited by Zorin_75 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:24 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Go Minim go!

meerta

Postby meerta » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:22 pm UTC

Well that seems to have been covered.

taixzo

Re: Long-page Ketchup

Postby taixzo » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:24 pm UTC

Kazza3 wrote:So, what have we got so far for a possible OTB? (This is from memory, sorry if I missed anyone.) I'm not necessarily suggesting that this will definitely happen, but we might as well have a list anyway.

Yappobiscuits: Piano/keyboards, guitar, bass, accordion, tin whistles, recorder, clarinet, tenor banjo, ukelele, percussion, voice
Fhorn: french horn
Valarya: trumpet
lmjb1964: percussion, viola, voice
NoMouse: trumpet
ucim: piano, guitar, hammer dulcimer, accordion
Ximenez: ?
HAL9000: piano
ofvn2vw1872?
taixso?
xpatiate?
Angelastic: rainstick!
cellocgw: cello, bass
Kazza3: clarinet, alto sax, guitar, piano, voice

The proliferation of brass players is an interesting demographic. Some might say it's because brass players are intelligent and thus drawn to a comic such as this... but the truely enlightened observer knows it's because the brass player gets no gigs and thus spends all his/her time at the computer instead. :mrgreen:

I can play violin, guitar, piano and recorder, although I'm not particularly good at any of them. I can also play cello, but I don't have one.

jjjdavidson wrote:
foilman wrote:SomewhatONG...
Spoiler:

Hey! Farrah speaks Captcha!

This made me laugh!

mscha wrote:
Hairdo wrote:You arose here from the desert below?
Nobody ....pires there.

Edit: note the use of ° as a question mark, pretty much proving that we were right.
I can't figure out that second-last word. Anyone?

We should pay attention to these; we might see traces of Beanish characters in there, which might give us clues to their pronunciation!!
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, Vytron, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

marchlight

Postby marchlight » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:25 pm UTC

A list of words ending in "ires": http://www.scrabblefinder.com/ends-with/pires/

Clearly she's saying "Nobody umpires there"1, referring to the fact that they are a lawless society and let baseball games run amok. QEDorsomething.

1The blotchiness is from repositioning to try to get a triple word score
Last edited by marchlight on Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:28 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

SinusPi

Postby SinusPi » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:25 pm UTC

I am quite intrigued by the "NOBODY" - at first I thought my transliterated c/' blue diacritics might be vowels, but then some words do not have vowels whatsoever. It could happen, but it would make Beanish a language damn hard to pronounce...

Ximenez

Postby Ximenez » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:26 pm UTC

ttscp wrote:
Wildhound wrote:
Spoiler:
Ximenez wrote:As a foreign English speaker (and not very good at that), I can relate to Farrah Hairdo Beanie. Painfully so.

When you learn English from books, you get a distorted view of word usage and few, if any, clues about pronunciation. Also, it's somewhat hard to understand native speakers when they speak fast (or on top of each other, like in the present frame), so there will/should be difficulties on that front.

(Multiple edits trying to make this look less gibberish.)

B-b-but... your English (written at least) is really good!

Seconded. I'm amazed at the English ability of everyone on this thread. I have to look at people's locations to guess that English might not be your native language. .

Oh, you make me really happyHmm! Thanks! Here, take this:

Boringly redundant and boring
Spoiler:
happycake.jpg

Hmm Please, no "That's what she said", ok?
Last edited by Ximenez on Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:36 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

HereBeUnmappedBits

Postby HereBeUnmappedBits » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:28 pm UTC

I'm throwing my hat in the ring for the voice of Cueball. Personally I'd say I'm too high pitched for the role. I suppose there's always Beanie-2 if Cueball doesn't workout.
Attachments
Cueball.mp3
(257.96 KiB) Downloaded 143 times

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:28 pm UTC

b2bomberkrh wrote:Kind of. Denseness is a property of the reals as a field, cardinality is a property of the reals as a set. They aren't even the same thing at all. It isn't just that it takes a separate proof, they aren't even the same types of objects mathematically (reals as a set, vs. reals as a field.) What you're saying is akin to stating that "just because oranges have seeds, doesn't mean a baseball team has nine players, it takes a separate proof for that."

Not to get too ego bound in being right, but I was responding to someone who had said "oranges have seeds", and what I said was "trees also have seeds but that doesn't make them a baseball team."
Sort of.
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:30 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
SinusPi wrote:
mscha wrote:Good transcription, though – but “transpires” makes no sense. (But what could it be? I can't find a synonym for “lives” that fits.)

To transpire = to happen, to take place.
To live = to occupy a habitat.
Seems pretty reasonable for a far-reached (raught?) synonym.

Not reasonable if in your native language “transpireren” only means “to sweat”. Image

Hey, don't sweat the small stuff! That would be weird, you should only sweat sweat, not any other kind of stuff at all...
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:31 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:
NetWeasel wrote:While .5000.... is not equal to .499999..... and therefore has an infinite number of reals between them...

Yes, they are equal.
Proof:
Spoiler:
let x = .499999...
Then 10x = 4.99999..., and
100x = 49.999......
Subtract the first from the second and you get 90x = 45, or x = .5
-- Charlie Grumbles

EraObserver

Postby EraObserver » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:32 pm UTC

Zorin_75 wrote:Image
Whoa. I think there's a "sand dunes" vertically on the right. Anybody have a guess what's in the first layer at the top? "To... fortress"?

Spoiler:
arose.png

There's two lines on the last letter of the last, unintelligible, word. Since the previous sentence was ended with an "o" for a question mark, might I suggest that the top line may be taken as a period? Otherwise the "E" behind the blotch would have to be raised higher than it should be, or horribly misshapen (which is, of course, still a possibility).

Edited for clarity.
Last edited by EraObserver on Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:39 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
*Insert witty comment*

ofvn2vw1872

Postby ofvn2vw1872 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:32 pm UTC

SinusPi wrote:I am quite intrigued by the "NOBODY" - at first I thought my transliterated c/' blue diacritics might be vowels, but then some words do not have vowels whatsoever. It could happen, but it would make Beanish a language damn hard to pronounce...

I think that it is a clue that the Beanish does use diacritics for vowels. But we pretty much already established that. Mostly.

As for transpires, it doesn't work exactly right, but it generally gives the idea that nothing much happens where cuegan are from. Except for tents and kids and sandcastles, which do happen there.
"It never seems to occur to people that a man might just want to write a piece of music"

SinusPi

Postby SinusPi » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:37 pm UTC

I think we're (mostly) taking the "transpires" too literally. To live, to transpire, to happen, to exist, to occur - all these verbs have a common "something/somebody is somewhere for a time" meaning. We must prepare for Hairdo to commit even worse verbal atrocities, of which this might yet prove but the iceberg's pocket money.

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:39 pm UTC

I think it implies that the Beanies are in fact raising the level of the sea, which was fine because nobody (somethings) there.

Now comes the conflict... Who's in charge, and who can halt the project?

Some people will want to not believe Cuegan, some people will not want the project stopped, some people will.
Remember waiting a half hour for one darkening pixel? Pepperidge Farms remembers...
Note To Blitzers:It is advisable NOT to go past page 1130 until you've seen up to frame 2900 (Geekwagon Numbering). A lot is happening, and really, you do not want to skip ahead at that point.

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:40 pm UTC

ofvn2vw1872 wrote:
SinusPi wrote:I am quite intrigued by the "NOBODY" - at first I thought my transliterated c/' blue diacritics might be vowels, but then some words do not have vowels whatsoever. It could happen, but it would make Beanish a language damn hard to pronounce...

I think that it is a clue that the Beanish does use diacritics for vowels. But we pretty much already established that. Mostly.

As for transpires, it doesn't work exactly right, but it generally gives the idea that nothing much happens where cuegan are from. Except for tents and kids and sandcastles, which do happen there.

I'm only a pseudo lurker most of the time, and don't read it all, but has anyone suggested that the diacritics represent specific vowels, and that without diacritics a schwa (or whatever their neutral vowel sound is) would be assumed? Do the location of smudges give any clues about the nature of vowels in beanish? Does she seem to have trouble with certain vowels, or consonant groupings or so on?

ETA:
From etymonline.com:
transpire (v.)
1590s, "pass off in the form of a vapor or liquid," from Middle French transpirer (mid-16c.), from Latin trans- "through" (see trans-) + spirare "to breathe" (see spirit). Figurative sense of "leak out, become known" is recorded from 1741, and the erroneous meaning "take place, happen" is almost as old, being first recorded 1755. Related: Transpired; transpiring.
Last edited by jovialbard on Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:42 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!

Febrion

Postby Febrion » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:41 pm UTC

Well, I don't know if anyone here is familiar with the "Salad Fingers" ThingWhichCannotBeDescribed1, but Hair's speech reminds me of the secondary characters there, though more understandable. All you hear is a jumbled mass of discordand sounds, and the "subtitle" is just a bunch of black squiggles.Grape

1Flash animation set in a post-apocalyptic world2, but REALLY freaky and bizzare, and possibly a little NSFW69, so look it up at your own risk. All I can say is that drugs MUST have been involved
2It's ALL related
69It just depends on where you work, I guess
GrapeAt least, that's the way I remember it, I could be wrong

Edit: There's a lot of commentary on whether that mystery word is "transpires". We can all agree that it's an odd word and really has to be stretched to fit the intended meaning, but really that is only to be expected of a non-native speaker. Especially one that seems to be having this much trouble with the language anyway...

Edit #2: Just noticed that this is my 99th post - all in this thread. I guess I'll have to create a new user now, 3-digits is just too scary for me... :D

Edit #3: Or I could just keep editing this post. Of course then I'd need to assign someone (preferably a group of someones) to transpose these edits to the future/present so y'all don't miss anything!
Last edited by Febrion on Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:48 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.
Temporal Knight Sir Junction, Lord of the Sawtooth Snap
Time flies like a River, sand flies like a Trebuchét

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:44 pm UTC

Zorin_75 wrote:
Spoiler:

Good catch! I think the background is "to this fortress" -- not "to the fortress"
Does that imply that there are more of them?
Remember waiting a half hour for one darkening pixel? Pepperidge Farms remembers...
Note To Blitzers:It is advisable NOT to go past page 1130 until you've seen up to frame 2900 (Geekwagon Numbering). A lot is happening, and really, you do not want to skip ahead at that point.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:47 pm UTC

If no one lives there, then how does she speek their language?

Cueganese, in some form, must be spoken somewhere else, perhaps by the hill people? Do the hill people know about/interact with the mountain people? If so, how do the mountain people not know about the beach/sea people? Unless Cuegan's village doesn't interact with the hill people. They talked of stuff coming down the river when it rains too much, but maybe that is the only evidence they have that people live in the hills.

So, Cuegan's village is very remote and isolated. I bet Cueball and Megan have a lot of the same family members. Hopefully they're not closer than 2nd cousins. Unless you are a believer in them being siblings.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:51 pm UTC

SinusPi wrote:I think we're (mostly) taking the "transpires" too literally. To live, to transpire, to happen, to exist, to occur - all these verbs have a common "something/somebody is somewhere for a time" meaning. We must prepare for Hairdo to commit even worse verbal atrocities, of which this might yet prove but the iceberg's pocket money.

What SinusPi said. Transpires makes perfect sense to a native English speaker as something that could possibly fit spoken by a foreigner.

mscha wrote:Not reasonable if in your native language “transpireren” only means “to sweat”. Image

Hahah, in English that's PERspires. Image
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:53 pm UTC

NetWeasel wrote:Good catch! I think the background is "to this fortress" -- not "to the fortress"

Enhancement attempt:
Spoiler:
enhance_2870.png
enhance_2870.png (27.02 KiB) Viewed 11400 times

Either way, no, I don't think that would imply anything...
Go Minim go!

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:55 pm UTC

Happy 100th to NetWeasel!
Spoiler:
And a happy 99th to Febrion, I guess...
Spoiler:
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:56 pm UTC

Zorin_75 wrote:
NetWeasel wrote:Good catch! I think the background is "to this fortress" -- not "to the fortress"

Spoiler:
Enhancement attempt:
enhance_2870.png
Either way, no, I don't think that would imply anything...

We can infer that it does though....
Voice of the Silent
Owner of the contents of Cueball's head
Lurking Time-Ninja of the Past-Post

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:57 pm UTC

mscha wrote:Happy 100th to NetWeasel!
Spoiler:

Yay, Century Cake!!! Thanks!

Wildhound

Postby Wildhound » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:59 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
jovialbard wrote:
SinusPi wrote:So confusONG!
Spoiler:

YOU AROSE HERE FROM THE (sand) DESERT BELOW? NOBODY (lives)TRANSPIRES THERE.

Because it looks like people missed it, I think this is a pretty good reading.

Yeah, that's because SinusPi retroninja'd it in there. Image
Good transcription, though – but “transpires” makes no sense. (But what could it be? I can't find a synonym for “lives” that fits.)

It doesn't need to be a synonym in English though, just in Beanish. Which means it could be anything.
Now and forever, a staunch TimeKeeper amongst heretics.

OTC Android Live Wallpaper

Caswallon

Postby Caswallon » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:00 pm UTC

Zorin_75 wrote:Image

Spoiler:
arose.png

"To this fortress" Would be my guess, sort of implied direction maybe?
histrion wrote:"Gunaxf gb gur Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv, zl jbex cebqhpgvivgl unf qrpernfrq qenzngvpnyyl! Gunaxf, Rayvtugrarq Barf!"

Precepter and historian of the Chruch of the Newpage. achoo

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:00 pm UTC

Wut???ONG
Go Minim go!

Tom17

Postby Tom17 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:00 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
Rule110 wrote:

Yes, they are equal.
Proof:
Spoiler:
let x = .499999...
100x = 49.999......

Your proof is wrong ;)
Proof:
Spoiler:
let x = .499999...
100x = 49.9999......
Subtract the first from the second and you get 90x = 44.99991, or x = .499999

Oh and surely one of those infinite number of reals that are between them would be .4999995? (There are a lot more where that one came from)

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:03 pm UTC

Happy 200th, Wildhound!
Spoiler:
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

charlie_grumbles

Re: 1190: "Time" TdF Update

Postby charlie_grumbles » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:03 pm UTC

Stage 17
Today was a mountainous 32km time trial, somewhat unusual. Chris Froome beat Contador by 9 seconds and so retains Yellow for the tenth day, increasing his advantage a bit. There were no changes for the other jerseys, but some rearrangement in the GC standings, with Contador moving up to second place 4'34" back. One rider crashed out, leaving 177 to finish.

The day:
Spoiler:
178 riders left the gatehouse today, but one did not finish. It's an overall sad story. Jean-Christophe Peraud went out before the race to reconnoiter the course. This is often done, in fact. He crashed, went to the hospital, and learned he had a broken collarbone. They taped him up and he decided to race anyway. But he crashed agan (wet roads) with only about 2k to go and fell on the same side. He left the race.

The weather was a bit of a factor today, but didn't affect the overall race or the leaders. Froome, the last to race, wins the day, with Contador back only 9 seconds. The lead switched only infrequently. For a bit it looked like Contador would win, but lost time in the last third of the race.

This was a time trial, but most of the riders started out on standard bikes because of the hills. Contador used a hybrid of a TT bike and a standard. Froome started out on a standard, but switched to a TT with about 12k to go. Quite a number of riders switched bikes, which is legal under certain conditions. Switching, however costs you 5-10 seconds while the new bike is unloaded from the team car. Contador didn't switch, save the switching time, but lost his then advantage as Froome had the more efficient, aerodynamic bike, with bigger gears, on the way down from the last climb. Contador led Froome at every intermediate time check. Contador raced like he was in a standard stage, out of the saddle, attacking imaginary opponents. Froome, on the other hand, tried to ride in a aero tuck as much as possible, even before switchin bikes.

However, Contador moves up to second place and his teammate Roman Kreuziger up to third. The best place US rider is Andy Talansky in 13th at 15'13". Mollema, who was in second place in the GC this morning, drops back to fourth, with a 6'23" deficit. Not his day.

Saxo-Tinkoff took back the lead in the team competition. Quintana increased his lead over Kwiatkowski by 22 seconds in the white jersey (youth) competition. US riders Talansky and Van Garderen hold third and fourth in that competition. There is no fighting spirit award in a TT, but I'd have given it to Jean-Christophe Peraud (ALM), though he didn't finish and has left the tour. Incredible grit.

Comments:
Spoiler:
Just like trains (yesterday), the weather can be a factor in the tour. The riders in a TT leave the gatehouse one at a time over a long stretch of time. In the middle of the day today it began to rain, leaving roads wet and slippery. I thought this would be a much bigger factor than it turned out to be, since the rains quit relatively quickly. Riders with similar standing leave fairly close together and so ride over similar conditions, but a good TT rider leaving early can sometimes benefit if the rains come late. I thought it would give Van Garderen an advantage today, since he finished very fast just before the rains came. He held the lead for a long while, but eventually wound up in 10 place. He is a good all-round rider, not a specialist.

Each team comes to the tour with its own goal. SKY (Froome's team) came to win GC as did BMC (Cadel Evans), RadioShack(Andy Scheck), Saxo-Tinkoff(Contador) and many others. I assume that Cannondale was put together by Sagan to win green rather than yellow. Omega Pharma-Quickstep likely just wanted to win stages for Cavendish and maybe put him in green. One or two of the teams came to win the team competition, but I don't have as good a handle on that. Some teams come for history, or team development, or just to represent their sponsors. Astana comes to make Kazakstan more visible in the wider world. Not every team can succeed at its goal and BMC and RadioShack have not done very well this year.

Tomorrow they are in the high alps and will be for three days. There are six categorized climbs. For the first time they are climbing one twice on the same day. They go up Alpe d'Huez down again and re-climb it by a different route. It is hors cat of course. The action begins at about 12:20 on the continent and has 172.5km of racing.
-- Charlie Grumbles

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:05 pm UTC

Tom17 wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:
Rule110 wrote:

Yes, they are equal.
Proof:
Spoiler:
let x = .499999...
100x = 49.999......

Your proof is wrong ;)
Proof:
Spoiler:
let x = .499999...
100x = 49.9999......

Oh and surely one of those infinite number of reals that are between them would be .4999995? (There are a lot more where that one came from)

Ah, "..." implied 9's going on forever, not that the number had ended.

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:08 pm UTC

All right, the overlapping words are creeping me out. Is there more going on here than mispronounced or halting speech? She either says the words "TO THIS FORTRESS" or not; if she says it, why not include those words in line, and if she doesn't, why is it appearing on the frame as if we're reading her thoughts? Maybe she really is saying more than one phrase at the same time, with the utterances overlapping, like a malfunctioning protocol droid or a telepath. :? :?
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:11 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:All right, the overlapping words are creeping me out. Is there more going on here than mispronounced or halting speech? She either says the words "TO THIS FORTRESS" or not; if she says it, why not include those words in line, and if she doesn't, why is it appearing on the frame as if we're reading her thoughts? Maybe she really is saying more than one phrase at the same time, with the utterances overlapping, like a malfunctioning protocol droid or a telepath. :? :?

I think it's just a neat way to transfer the difficulty of making out words when listening to somebody with a very strange pronounciation to writing...
Go Minim go!

Marsh'n

Re: Marsh'n blitzing to you from NP145 (13%)

Postby Marsh'n » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:13 pm UTC

This is gonna be short 'cuz I'm on a beach. Yesterday, built sandcastles and tried to see if sea was rising. Mostly found fish.
I have seen the HODOR and it has an odor. Smells like coffee, tastes like sem... Nah, couldn't be.
A few fav quotes and then I'll return your present(s) to all y'all.

astrotter (NP93 and SBN sig...): "It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this..."

Mr Moriarty (NP135): "WHAT? yesterday I missed the formation of a cult and today i miss sex behind a common non-uk convenience store. I am NOT going to bed tonight in-case i miss the second coming of Elvis."

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:14 pm UTC

Tom17 wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:
Rule110 wrote:

Yes, they are equal.
Proof:
Spoiler:
let x = .499999...
100x = 49.999......

Your proof is wrong ;)
Proof:
Spoiler:
let x = .499999...
100x = 49.9999......

Sorry, no. Since it 9's all the way out, they all disappear. You seem to have truncated the infinite decimal, when in fact it goes on forever. To the right of the decimal point it is .99999... (forever) in both numbers. But the wink makes me think you are just fukkin' with me. Yes?

Oh, and .4999995 is smaller than .4999...(forever). You can use the same technique to see exactly how much smaller.
-- Charlie Grumbles

shurikt

Postby shurikt » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:15 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:All right, the overlapping words are creeping me out. Is there more going on here than mispronounced or halting speech?

It's from the perspective of Cueball & Megan's comprehension of the speech. When it's completely foreign, it's in a foreign alphabet. When it's something they can understand, the overlapping meanings appear all at once. Hence the overlapping "here/fortress"

Or so I have led myself to believe.

Febrion

Postby Febrion » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:15 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote:
Spoiler:
Tom17 wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:
Rule110 wrote:

Yes, they are equal.
Proof:
let x = .499999...
100x = 49.999......

Your proof is wrong ;)
Proof:
let x = .499999...
100x = 49.9999......

Ah, "..." implied 9's going on forever, not that the number had ended.

This is already covered here. And yes, I broke my 2-digit post count1, but enjoyed the cake2

1I like to think of it as my 99.9999999...th post
2Thanks!
Temporal Knight Sir Junction, Lord of the Sawtooth Snap
Time flies like a River, sand flies like a Trebuchét

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:16 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:All right, the overlapping words are creeping me out. Is there more going on here than mispronounced or halting speech? She either says the words "TO THIS FORTRESS" or not; if she says it, why not include those words in line, and if she doesn't, why is it appearing on the frame as if we're reading her thoughts? Maybe she really is saying more than one phrase at the same time, with the utterances overlapping, like a malfunctioning protocol droid or a telepath. :? :?

Ok, I'm leaning more to the idea that she's speaking very slowly and that the faded text is something she's trying to say before she picks what she really wants to say because she thinks it sounds smarter or more specific (or she's just messing with them). I also suspect that it's not separated by elipsis because she kind of whispering one under her breath while saying the other, something like "To thisYou arose fortresshere from the sanddeserts below-ackadoodle" (I'm assuming the little o above a word is pronounced ackadoodle, of course) It's an interesting way to represent that, though perhaps not perfectly analogous to how it would sound.

edo

Postby edo » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:17 pm UTC

Mscha: Respires!
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”