1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

edo

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby edo » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:06 pm UTC

lgw wrote:
Gedeon wrote:Thanks, Rule110!

Everything collected:

IN TIME EVEN THE HILLS (rocks) CHANGE.
WHEN PEOPLE FIRST WALKED AND FIRST
BUILT *** CITIES (castles) THE SEAS WERE JOINED (welded)
BUT THERE WAS A GREAT ***
(mud) ROCK*** AND THE PASSAGE (road) WAS CLOSED (forbidden).
YOUR SEA WAS *** WITH TOO FEW RIVERS (barred).
UNDER THE SUN SHRANK AND THE WATER FELL.
NOW THE SEA HAS FOUND A WAY BACK IN.

Also, possibly (united) beneath "found a way back in".

I'm becoming more sure of my guess that they're on the Med, despite the astronomy hinting otherwise. "Too few rivers" seems very strong to me.

"When people first built cities" pretty much confirms we're far-future IMO.

Whose to say that the shore of the Mediterranean isn't at 40°N 11000 years from now?
(at least the southern shore)
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

Montov

Postby Montov » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:06 pm UTC

She will now use a tablet to browse to the wiki and get the map of edfel. Beanception.

Anyway, molpy out.

ETA:
Spoiler:
Papal decree: Use at least 1 spoiler in your post.
Last edited by Montov on Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:10 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:07 pm UTC

Redundant
Spoiler:
ketchuploop.gif
ketchuploop.gif (8.63 KiB) Viewed 10816 times
Did I do that right?

Ketchup, finally!
CFS wrote:I thought for a second that it might be identical to give more time to read this l o n g Rosetta speech. Seems too strange, though, that the picture hasn't updated.

ETA: I know there's a lot of us new-posters/lurkers adding to the thread now. I hope its not too much of a problem for you old-TIMErs like Mscha, Blitzgirl, Hal9000 and the like.

What, are you kidding? We love to see new faces!

a_s_h_e_n wrote:"Do you know where you are?"

"No, but do you know you are 20 MINUTES LATE?"

LOL

HES wrote:Is Rosetta referring to where they live or where the beanie city is?

I think she means where they are at this moment.

ZoomanSP wrote:
sford wrote:Fun day!

Molpy down
Spoiler:
The bull sea lion.

This is an elephant seal.
Spoiler:
Aren't you glad you know.
:wink:

Thanks for catching that. Someday remind me to tell about my adventures measuring bull elephant seals...

edited to see if I got the image right.

Time-travel edit: Looks like I didn't get the image right. Trying again.
Last edited by lmjb1964 on Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:59 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

neopifex

Postby neopifex » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:07 pm UTC

I've got a theory about an earthquake causing the sea to rise.

If you look back at the beginning of the OTC, the sea is pretty much static for the first couple hundred frames. It doesn't really start rising noticeably until after Cuegan come back from swimming, I'd say at frame 190 (I'm going by the Geekwagon numbering here). If you go backwards from there, you'll see a bit of sandcastle fall down at the far left between frames 172 and 173 (http://geekwagon.net/projects/xkcd1190/?frame=172) while Cuegan are still in the water out of frame.

That could be an indication of weak seismic waves from a distant earthquake reaching their area. The part that fell was one of the newest sections that Cueball added, so the sand would still be soft and wet. Since both Cueball and Megan were swimming at the time, they wouldn't have felt the tremors, so it would just look like part of the castle fell under its own weight. The sea starts rising a short time later, and appears to have slowly risen faster over time, which would match pretty well with a flood that widens its passage as more blockage is swept away by the floodwaters.

Any thoughts?
C'mon, let's see what's through here!

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:12 pm UTC

neopifex wrote:I've got a theory about an earthquake causing the sea to rise.

If you look back at the beginning of the OTC, the sea is pretty much static for the first couple hundred frames. It doesn't really start rising noticeably until after Cuegan come back from swimming, I'd say at frame 190 (I'm going by the Geekwagon numbering here). If you go backwards from there, you'll see a bit of sandcastle fall down at the far left between frames 172 and 173 (http://geekwagon.net/projects/xkcd1190/?frame=172) while Cuegan are still in the water out of frame.

That could be an indication of weak seismic waves from a distant earthquake reaching their area. The part that fell was one of the newest sections that Cueball added, so the sand would still be soft and wet. Since both Cueball and Megan were swimming at the time, they wouldn't have felt the tremors, so it would just look like part of the castle fell under its own weight. The sea starts rising a short time later, and appears to have slowly risen faster over time, which would match pretty well with a flood that widens its passage as more blockage is swept away by the floodwaters.

Any thoughts?

That's a reasonable explanation. But would the water rise slowly like that? Wouldn't there be a tsunami at some point?

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

Ximenez

Postby Ximenez » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:13 pm UTC

Spoiler:
If you look back at the beginning of the OTC, the sea is pretty much static for the first couple hundred frames. It doesn't really start rising noticeably until after Cuegan come back from swimming, I'd say at frame 190 (I'm going by the Geekwagon numbering here). If you go backwards from there,
you'll see a bit of sandcastle fall down at the far left between frames 172 and 173 (http://geekwagon.net/projects/xkcd1190/?frame=172) while Cuegan are still in the water out of frame.
Spoiler:

Any thoughts?

:shock: I haven't seen that before! Good catch!

Gedeon

Postby Gedeon » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:13 pm UTC

edo wrote:Whose to say that the shore of the Mediterranean isn't at 40°N 11000 years from now?
(at least the southern shore)

The only small2 enough passage between the seas big1 enough I can think of is Bosphorus/Dardanelles passage between Mediterranean and Black Sea.

Bosphorus - 700 m at it's narrowest point, Dardanelles - 1,2 km. Could be easily blocked by earthquake/landslide. But Black sea has too many large rivers... Danube, Don...
Last edited by Gedeon on Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:18 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

neopifex

Postby neopifex » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:14 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:
neopifex wrote:
Charm Quark wrote:Blindposting, so not sure if this has been brought up yet, but with a sea level rise could the "Great Valley" in central California become a shallow sea? Location-wise it agrees with Long Night predictions, and it does have a sort of a mouth that could be dammed up. It also has the requisite nearby mountains.

Spoiler:

I live in the SF Bay Area...<snip>

Hey, what part of the Bay Area? I'm in Santa Cruz...

waves southward
I'm up in Concord (east bay, if you're not familiar with the area).

Having lived in the Central Valley during college, I don't think I'd mind that part of the state being flooded. :twisted:

a_s_h_e_n

Postby a_s_h_e_n » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:14 pm UTC

Any thoughts?

I feel like we would need to know where the second sea is relative to Cuegan's sea. Also, there's no structural damage on any of the structures they come across (the house where the cougar attack happens is in disrepair, but looks structurally sound)

lmjb1964 wrote:That's a reasonable explanation. But would the water rise slowly like that? Wouldn't there be a tsunami at some point?

Maybe the quake just opened the old waterway between the two seas, maybe by destroying a dam (natural or manmade)
Tock: Look, son, it's bad enough wasting time without killing it.

Gedeon

Postby Gedeon » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:19 pm UTC

a_s_h_e_n wrote:Maybe the quake just opened the old waterway between the two seas, maybe by destroying a dam (natural or manmade)

Or maybe water flows through a portal...

Spoiler:
It's all connected!

neopifex

Postby neopifex » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:21 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:

Any thoughts?

That's a reasonable explanation. But would the water rise slowly like that? Wouldn't there be a tsunami at some point?

Not if the flood started relatively small and increased quickly. If the earthquake dislodged enough rock to allow water the start flowing but not enough to let a WALL of water through at once, it would be like adding water to a pool with a hose and gradually adding more hoses. At the far side of the pool from the hoses, any waves would be minimal. These kinds of things can happen when earthen dams fail, starting small and then quickly getting bigger as more of the dam is eroded away. An example of this is the Teton Dam, which started with a small leak: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teton_Dam

edo

Postby edo » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:24 pm UTC

edfel wrote:Take a sea the size of the mediterranean. What is the total inflow needed to make it go up by ~3q/week? What about large american lakes? What is the minimum size of a lake/sea for people not to see the other shore?

A lot! more than 700 m^3/s (and a meter cubed of water weighs a metric ton, so...) (assumption: 20 mile horizon, pretty common. 50km horizon is more than double!)

mikrit wrote: I can't figure out how to format a link containing an ö.

Like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Döda_Fallet

Gedeon wrote:The only small2 enough passage between the seas big1 enough I can think of is Bosphorus/Dardanelles passage between Mediterranean and Black Sea.

How about the Suez becoming a channel (and then not) due to sea level rise? would also have to pinch off the bottom of the Red sea some how...

I think some firstposts were missed. (It's been pretty crazy today!) Does anyone have a script or something to extract them all? Listed from newest to oldest would be best. In any case, welcome, folks!

neopifex

Postby neopifex » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:25 pm UTC

a_s_h_e_n wrote:

Any thoughts?

I feel like we would need to know where the second sea is relative to Cuegan's sea. Also, there's no structural damage on any of the structures they come across (the house where the cougar attack happens is in disrepair, but looks structurally sound)

Considering the hypothetical quake only caused a tiny bit of a sandcastle to fall, it probably wouldn't have any effect on larger, more solid structures.

Gedeon

Postby Gedeon » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:27 pm UTC

edo wrote:How about the Suez becoming a channel (and then not) due to sea level rise? would also have to pinch off the bottom of the Red sea some how...

I think some firstposts were missed. (It's been pretty crazy today!) Does anyone have a script or something to extract them all? Listed from newest to oldest would be best. In any case, welcome, folks!

Without constant human intervention, Suez would have blocked naturally... Bab El Mandeb is quite narrow, not an unreasonable theory.
Last edited by Gedeon on Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:31 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:28 pm UTC

neopifex wrote:
a_s_h_e_n wrote:

Any thoughts?

Considering the hypothetical quake only caused a tiny bit of a sandcastle to fall, it probably wouldn't have any effect on larger, more solid structures.

And if said quake were several hundred miles away?
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

a_s_h_e_n

Postby a_s_h_e_n » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:31 pm UTC

neopifex wrote:
a_s_h_e_n wrote:

Any thoughts?

The sandcastle was obviously far away from the hypothetical quake, and if the sea is in the direction of the Beanies then the quake would've had to be as well, and we might see more significant damage the closer we got to the quake site.

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:34 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:
ketchuploop.gif

Redundant
Spoiler:
ketchuploop.gif
Did I do that right?
The spoilering was fine. However, as you can see above, the pictures do not show up in the quote. For this, you have to put the image address in image tags:
[ img ] http : // forums . xkcd . com / download / file.php?id=38113 [ / img ] (without all the spaces). To get the image address, you have to click on "Preview" first, and then get the image address by right-clicking on the picture in the preview post. Afterwards, it should look like this:
lmjb1964 wrote:Image
Redundant
Spoiler:
ketchuploop.gif
Did I do that right?
Maybe click on "Quote" on the top of this post to see how my post looks like. I didn't substitute the attachment tags inside the spoiler, so the image isn't visible in there.

lmjb1964 wrote:Someday remind me to tell about my adventures measuring bull elephant seals...

Yes, please! Image I like elephant seals1! How can you approach them without being squashed?!
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:36 pm UTC

MappONG...
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

a_s_h_e_n

Postby a_s_h_e_n » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:39 pm UTC

mscha wrote:MappONG...
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
scared me good
Last edited by a_s_h_e_n on Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:40 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Caswallon

Postby Caswallon » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:39 pm UTC

Spoiler:

Wow! Edfel was right on!!!

Spoiler:
Well, maybe not :wink:
Last edited by Caswallon on Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:45 pm UTC, edited 5 times in total.
histrion wrote:"Gunaxf gb gur Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv, zl jbex cebqhpgvivgl unf qrpernfrq qenzngvpnyyl! Gunaxf, Rayvtugrarq Barf!"

Precepter and historian of the Chruch of the Newpage. achoo

CFS

Postby CFS » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:39 pm UTC

Spoiler:

Sweet! Now we're updating every half-hour again! Also, that map looks oddly familiar.

Edited to fix broke-ness
Last edited by CFS on Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:47 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:39 pm UTC

asmodai wrote:My prophecy?

Rosetta: "Do you know where you are?"

Cueball: "No, tell us!"
Megan: "What do you call this place? Who are you people?"

Rosetta: "THE ARISTOCRATS!"

==Time ends==

Aside from failing to follow the rules :twisted: and write "Thus ends Time," you've definitely got the proper spirit when it comes to predicting!
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

CFS

Postby CFS » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:41 pm UTC

Not sure what I did, but it looks crazy.

Also, she talks much better MAP than she does "Enlgish."
Last edited by CFS on Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:42 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:42 pm UTC

Gedeon wrote:
a_s_h_e_n wrote:Maybe the quake just opened the old waterway between the two seas, maybe by destroying a dam (natural or manmade)

Or maybe water flows through a portal...

Spoiler:
It's all connected!

I think it was some stray firings of the mini-trebuchet. The payloads caused a rift in the space-time continuum, which is sort of a portal, anyway.
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

a_s_h_e_n

Postby a_s_h_e_n » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:43 pm UTC

CFS wrote:Not sure what I did, but it looks crazy.

Looks like the end spoiler tag is outside the end quote tag. EDIT: test worked, keep your tags in order

Test removed, as slinches points out I completely missed the nice "preview" button.
Last edited by a_s_h_e_n on Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:49 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:46 pm UTC

a_s_h_e_n wrote:
CFS wrote:Not sure what I did, but it looks crazy.

Looks like the end spoiler tag is outside the end quote tag. EDIT: test worked, keep your tags in order

Test

CFS wrote:
Spoiler:
Not sure what I did, but it looks crazy.

Yup, that's what does it. Now please fix it! Image

Also, the post should show up broken in the preview so submitting the post shouldn't be necessary to test it.

Last edited by slinches on Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:48 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

neopifex

Postby neopifex » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:47 pm UTC

moody7277 wrote:
neopifex wrote:
a_s_h_e_n wrote:

Any thoughts?

And if said quake were several hundred miles away?

Well, from what I remember in college (I took a lot of geology classes before I changed my major, but we're talking more than ten years ago), earthquake waves can travel great distances beneath the surface. Surface waves (the rolling kind people can see during big quakes) don't go very far, but compression waves can go across the globe and back again. In some cases, underground compression waves can affect distant locations because they travel in arcs like this:

It's possible that the sandcastle was at or near one of those spots where the waves come back up to the surface, which caused just enough vibration to collapse a little bit of wet sandcastle. Or maybe they're just far enough from the epicenter for this kind of minimal damage to happen, and all the structures we've seen since then have been farther away.

Who knows! It's just an idea. :shrug:

edo

Postby edo » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:48 pm UTC

I don't think anyone caught this, but in frame AW2903, she finishes the first line with a beanish exclamation point:

"YOUR SEA DOES NOT STAND ALONE!"

wizpretz

Postby wizpretz » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:49 pm UTC

Latent22 wrote:OK OTVO voting time! This is now quarter final voting to see who goes onto the next round and submit a new set auditions.
Pick your favorite Cueball and Meagan Voice.
Results will be displayed here

C5 and M2

Gedeon

Postby Gedeon » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:54 pm UTC

One manip from me, hope you like it...

Spoiler:
timeroom2.jpg
Last edited by Gedeon on Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:59 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:57 pm UTC

Latent22 wrote:OK OTVO voting time! This is now quarter final voting to see who goes onto the next round and submit a new set audition.
Pick your favorite Cueball and Meagan Voice.
Results will be displayed here

I missed one Cueball audition so you can listen to that one again in the link above and vote again if you want.

Ok thanks guys for all the feedback and votes so far. It is really close but some are finding it very hard to decide and want new auditions of the same lines. So I think the next step is to ask the top voted people from this first round of voting to re submit to a set script. People have noted they don't have a lot of time to listen to all the options so this is why I think it's important we don't force everyone to resubmit to the next round of voting. But we don't want to exclude anyone so anyone is free to re-submit to the next round. Also we still want to hear any new voices we haven't heard yet so please if your able to you can submit to the new set script.

If you haven't voted to the first round in the link above then you still can to let us know who you want to resubmit again.

I think for the new script we should pick a couple of frames with back and forward vocals of both Megan and Cueball as some of you wanted to judge the chemistry between the two as well.

The best 2 (maybe 3) of each group I was thinking of creating a combined versions from the re-submissions of each combination of Megan and Cueball left so you can hear all 4 combinations (if we have just 2 Cue's and 2 Meg's) of their voices interacting with each other. The pairing that has the most votes gets the job!

buffygirl will pick a script for us to use and submissions would probably be best as PM's to either Me or buffygirl to keep them semi anonymous and we can just use your designated C1-8 M1-4 codes so listeners can ignore the names and just focus on the voices. Because we will have less submissions for this round we can have them as just individual sound clips as buffygirl wanted.

Please I need feedback and any suggestions. And remember to vote for the quarter finalists you want to hear again!

Feedback so far: (warning I'm long)
Spoiler:
Eliram wrote:I liked best:
C5
M2 & M3

I think it's because these samples sound the most as how I imagined their voices in my head + easy to understand + have more natural feeling.
It was not easy to choose...

NoMouse wrote:C5 and C6
M3

C5's voice fits well to my image of Cueball, as well as C6's and I very much like the acting of C6.
M3 - again, it fits the best for me and the yawn-part is very well played.

adnapemit wrote:I choose C6 & M4

Cuegan seem to be a bit scared of the people in the hill. Back when Megan was hurt she mentioned the people in the hill and Cueball replies that they are a "long way" from there. They must be very mean people :(

yappobiscuits wrote:C5, M3.

HereBeUnmappedBits wrote:C6 and M2.

ZoomanSP wrote:C1 or C5, M2 (second version of the identical text)

ZBerg wrote:I'll put my lurker vote in:
C6 and M1

Cueball always struck me as a melancholy phlegmatic, making his voice very studied, but not altogether lazy or over-precise.
Megean seems much more choleric and sanguine, getting very straight forward and quicker, though not flighty.

edfel wrote:C5, M2 :)

Zorin_75 wrote:M3 & C6

Moose Anus wrote:C6
M2

buffygirl wrote:Ok, I'm finding this really hard -- I think I tend to be biased toward longer samples (where I get a better feel for the voice). I would be happier making a decision if the different examples had the same content ....

just to make more work for everyone...

Fictioneer wrote:I would vote C1 and M2 together, or C5 and M3 together. I wouldn't mix those pairs up. Am I allowed to do that?

buffygirl wrote:Right, so, if Latent22 approves and if enough others like this idea, and since I seem to feel so (semi-) strongly about this, I volunteer to select a script and gather samples via PM, then post them for voting.

Note that I don't really know how to append them to one another to create a single Megan file and a single Cueball file, so I would keep them all in separate files. Truth be told, I think I'd also personally find it easier to listen to and assess them as separate samples anyway.

Thoughts?

Fictioneer wrote:I would vote C1 and M2 together, or C5 and M3 together. I wouldn't mix those pairs up. Am I allowed to do that?

I've wondered about that too -- It's not just about the individual voices, but how they sound together.

Febrion wrote:
buffygirl wrote:<snip>
Right, so, if Latent22 approves and if enough others like this idea, and since I seem to feel so (semi-) strongly about this, I volunteer to select a script and gather samples via PM, then post them for voting.

Note that I don't really know how to append them to one another to create a single Megan file and a single Cueball file, so I would keep them all in separate files. Truth be told, I think I'd also personally find it easier to listen to and assess them as separate samples anyway.

Thoughts?

I would prefer it this way - most of my time spent here is either on my phone (limited functionailty, and really hard to post with), or at work (which blocks all the interesting stuff). I only have small windows where I'd be able to both listen to the various samples, and post a response, or even submit a recording of my own1

1Assuming I ever get over this cold =p

lmjb1964 wrote:
buffygirl wrote:Right, so, if Latent22 approves and if enough others like this idea, and since I seem to feel so (semi-) strongly about this, I volunteer to select a script and gather samples via PM, then post them for voting.

Thoughts?

I really appreciate Latent22 taking the time to set up the polling. But I do think it makes sense to have a standardized script. If you were willing to take the lead on that, I think it's a great idea.
Last edited by Latent22 on Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:21 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:59 pm UTC

This explanation also means that if Megan and Cueball had continued walking along the shore (and they were walking in the right direction or the sea isn't too big for them to circumambulate, and they could cross all the necessary rivers), they could have found the broken river they were looking for; that is, the actual inflow from the Rejoined Sea. That should be quite a sight!
Spoiler:
Even a two-dimensional slice of it would be pretty impressive.
Last edited by Rule110 on Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:01 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:59 pm UTC

Gedeon wrote:One manip from me, hope you like it...

Spoiler:

That's awesome, but who plays Dr. Strangelove? Lucky?

Or maybe Time is the sequel?

SinusPi

Postby SinusPi » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:00 pm UTC

CarryONG...

Kabuthunk

Postby Kabuthunk » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:01 pm UTC

Wow, I forgot to look at the Time comic for the past while, so I just caught up on like... a month of it (best site I've found is probably http://geekwagon.net/projects/xkcd1190/).

Gotta say, this story has gone all kinds of directions I didn't see coming. I love the fact that they ran into people who speak another language.

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:03 pm UTC

Gedeon wrote:One manip from me, hope you like it...
Spoiler:

List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

BytEfLUSh

Postby BytEfLUSh » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:05 pm UTC

Well, we certainly live in an interesting Time... Questions are being answered without too much questing. She'll surely mention LaPetite somewhere and - there it is - we now know everything. Maybe it'll end on 25th to mark 4 months of OTC, but it'd be hard to prolong the story for so long without few days of fade-outs. I do hope I'm wrong.

-- Professor Dan, The Man from Earth (paraphrased)

Gedeon

Postby Gedeon » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:10 pm UTC

BytEfLUSh wrote:Well, we certainly live in an interesting Time... Questions are being answered without too much questing. She'll surely mention LaPetite somewhere and - there it is - we now know everything. Maybe it'll end on 25th to mark 4 months of OTC, but it'd be hard to prolong the story for so long without few days of fade-outs. I do hope I'm wrong.

I don't know... but it doesn't feel to me like it's ending soon. I think we're now getting to the main quest, and this is only exposition. Hmm, why not a one-year long OTC? Around 8700 frames, that's not too much. At 2 frames/sec, that's a story 72 minutes long.
Last edited by Gedeon on Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:13 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

gnetwerker

Postby gnetwerker » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:12 pm UTC

Example of an ice dam blocking a fjord: http://ak.water.usgs.gov/glaciology/hubbard/photos/

I kayaked there in 2000. The last catastrophic failure of the ice dam had been in 1986, when the water level dropped 91 feet (clearly, it had risen that much over time). In 2002, the ice dam re-formed, and the water level rose over 61 feet in just 10 weeks. It then failed again catastrophically.

(Long-time lurker. Will now go back to lurking.)

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:13 pm UTC

BytEfLUSh wrote:Well, we certainly live in an interesting Time... Questions are being answered without too much questing. She'll surely mention LaPetite somewhere and - there it is - we now know everything. Maybe it'll end on 25th to mark 4 months of OTC, but it'd be hard to prolong the story for so long without few days of fade-outs. I do hope I'm wrong.

I don't see that happening. It'd be like :

"There's a problem and we don't know why it's happening"
"We've found out what's causing the problem and it's an even bigger problem than we thought"
THE END.

Nah, I think there's plenty more to come ;)
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”