1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Someguy945

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Someguy945 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:37 pm UTC

foilman wrote:SavONG the wildlife
Spoiler:

I'm not convinced it can... (or will)

Watching this reverse-recap on all their adventures, plus thinking of the poor hedgehog...

Spoiler:

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:43 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:Can't remember who it was, but sometime ago there was a post with a picture of the waterfall scene with the water level up about half of the cliff face (to around where the 2nd fall terminates). I think this is a good prediction... I think they will pause to look over the falls once more ... this will be in about 5-8 newpix I think.

It's six ‘scenes’ (from the way up) from here to the tiny river². The average speed of the OTC seems to be about 1 ‘scene’ per newpix, so 5-8 sounds reasonable. (From there to the ⁷terfall will probably only take them one newpix this time.)

I wonder too when they'll go off the beaten track and take the shortcut to the hills... If we can trust Edfel's map, they should've already done so, at some point near the Lucky attack site.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:49 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
SPACKlick wrote:Except we dont' have a drop in ocean levels, just the sealed Mediterranean.

What could have happened is: the oceans are drained according to the what-if 53/54 scenario, some time in the next few thousand years, resulting in a map like this.
The changed climate leads to mass-extinction and the end of civilization. The Mediterranean Sea keeps shrinking due to the evaporation surplus. The portal is still open, and slowly the water falls back from Mars to the oceans on Earth.
At some point, the ocean level reaches the threshold of the Strait of Gibraltar (which might be altered due to the passing of time), and starts overflowing. That's where when we find our heroes.

But you need more than just a gradually rising world ocean reaching the threshold of the Strait. You need a much higher ocean pent up by relatively loose material well above that threshold, or else you wouldn't get the rapid catastrophic inundation the Beanies are expecting.

You need the looser material to be involved because while a deep violent inundation can cut through bedrock, a few centimeters (or even a meter or two) of overflow pouring over bedrock isn't going to initiate that process. You'd just get a big waterfall, like Niagara Falls. Slowly I turned. Step by step. Inch by inch.
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:50 pm UTC

frakhorsestaplers wrote:
mscha wrote:
SPACKlick wrote:Except we dont' have a drop in ocean levels, just the sealed Mediterranean.

What could have happened is: the oceans are drained according to the what-if 53/54 scenario, some time in the next few thousand years, resulting in a map like this.
The changed climate leads to mass-extinction and the end of civilization. The Mediterranean Sea keeps shrinking due to the evaporation surplus. The portal is still open, and slowly the water falls back from Mars to the oceans on Earth.
At some point, the ocean level reaches the threshold of the Strait of Gibraltar (which might be altered due to the passing of time), and starts overflowing. That's where when we find our heroes.

In that case, one of the languages being spoken is probably related to Dutch, given the universal reach of the Netherlands in What If 53/54.

It's still a bit unclear to me how we've gone from the same alphabet as the English to the alphabet Beanish uses. Although this may simply mean Wilders is right on some points (*shudders at the idea* That man isn't fit to be right about anything. Not even whether 1+1 is 2)
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

cryptoengineer

Postby cryptoengineer » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:53 pm UTC

How long can GLR keep this up?

The OTC is rapidly approaching 3000 newpix; in contrast, the regular xkcd strip is now at 1240, after 8 years. At this point, 'Time' comprises over 70% of Munro's lifetime output of panels.

I realize that there's a lot of recycling of backgrounds, and the drawing style is simple, but the OTT has required a > 50-fold increase in panel output.

That's a lot of work.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:54 pm UTC

Has the exact date been calculated yet? Now that we have a location, can we use that to narrow down the exact date using the stars?

Sorry if I missed where the date was confirmed or it was explained that there was too much mustard to get it right.

Someguy945

Postby Someguy945 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:56 pm UTC

cryptoengineer wrote:How long can GLR keep this up?

If it ends soon, my guess will be that he created the entire thing in advance, long before we ever saw frame 1.

If it lasts for years, I don't know.

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:58 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:Therefore, the migration of baobab may become more likely

When I read this, I pictured an amazementwow of baobab silhouettes hopping along to jaunty music.

Sprocket wrote:"don't get stuck" cuz getting stuck or not can be planned. You can try not get stuck, sure. Most of the time you're trying not to get stuck.

Okay then. In light of this I take back my decree to have a nice day.

wowThe collective noun for baobabs, according to me.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:59 pm UTC

mscha wrote:I wonder too when they'll go off the beaten track and take the shortcut to the hills... If we can trust Edfel's map, they should've already done so, at some point near the Lucky attack site.

Edfel's map is remarkably close to The Beanies' maps. I figured anywhere from the Lucky Attack Shack to the wowterfall for the turn -- the Shack is still pretty high up, though, and I really want the water level check at the falls. If they go past that on their original track, they'll be losing time.

One thing off with Edfel's map, though... Their home is about halfway between the two rivers, slightly closer to the intermittent one -- Megan said so.
Last edited by NetWeasel on Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:01 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Remember waiting a half hour for one darkening pixel? Pepperidge Farms remembers...
Note To Blitzers:It is advisable NOT to go past page 1130 until you've seen up to frame 2900 (Geekwagon Numbering). A lot is happening, and really, you do not want to skip ahead at that point.

gga2

Postby gga2 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:00 pm UTC

ChasONG Lucky

Looks like back to a running pace.

Alt-text = RUN.
Last edited by gga2 on Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:01 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:00 pm UTC

ong
Spoiler:

edit: Ninja-d
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:11 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:Has the exact date been calculated yet? Now that we have a location, can we use that to narrow down the exact date using the stars?

Sorry if I missed where the date was confirmed or it was explained that there was too much mustard to get it right.

Best guess by our astro buffs was April 10th, 13291 (calculated even well before we learned about all the dried out Mediterranean business).
Go Minim go!

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:14 pm UTC

Zorin_75 wrote:
Whizbang wrote:Has the exact date been calculated yet? Now that we have a location, can we use that to narrow down the exact date using the stars?

Best guess by our astro buffs was April 10th, 13291 (calculated even well before we learned about all the dried out Mediterranean business).

Thanks. For some reason I thought that the angle of the sun put too much mustard in the calculations to be absolutely sure. I thought that the date was still in doubt.

Montov

Postby Montov » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:16 pm UTC

This time they skipped 3 scenes, so 4 times the (until now) average of 1 scene per newpix.
2 more scenes before they reach the river, so they could reach the waterfall in the following newpix! Likely, they will discuss it first, so my prediction is they/we will see the waterfall at the newpix after the next one.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:17 pm UTC

Hi there -- my first blindpost. I had a lightning strike take out the modem; can't believe, looking back, that 2 days sans internet could be so weirdfeeling. Its the longest I've been disconnected in maybe 5 Outside years!.
I'm off to ketchup in a lazy VT style. Hoping there's still a thread at the far end.

So here I am typing and watching the hummingraptors at the feeder. Very pretty.
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:19 pm UTC

Zorin_75 wrote:
Rule110 wrote:Could such a shift be big enough to account for the approximately 2.5 degree discrepancy between the map latitude (according to present day maps) and the apparent astronomical latitude?

IIRC, the latitude was determined by assuming the straightest of the startrails and then trying to measure the angle of a maybe 100px long row of white dots... Isn't 2,5° well within the margin of error?

The margin of error doesn't seem that large. I suggest starting with one of edfel's composite images of the star motion, and then using a program that can draw lines at specified angles or rotate a line to a specified angle, to overlay lines of, say, 39.5, 40.5, 41.5, and 42.5 degrees. The latter two lines will look obviously wrong, even if lined up against star trails that aren't quite straight. Keep in mind that not knowing the vertical placement of the horizon has no effect on the measurement of the angle.

(If the "camera" isn't "held" horizontal, that certainly would affect the measured angle. But there's no evidence for, or reason to expect, the "camera" tilting from frame to frame. There are numerous frames with standing water and it's always horizontal.)
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:23 pm UTC

NetWeasel wrote:One thing off with Edfel's map, though... Their home is about halfway between the two rivers, slightly closer to the intermittent one -- Megan said so.

When?
All I can find is:
"We live by the shore, near a river that flows down to the sea every year. "

Cueball said:
"If nothing else, I'm glad we found this river. It's not much farther from home than ours is at its driest. "

Which I think doesn't mean they live halfway, but that while they live close to the bed of the tiny river, it can retreat nearly as far as the distance to the second river. So I think Edfel's map at most just needs a somewhat longer dashed river section.
Go Minim go!

nerdsniped

Postby nerdsniped » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:23 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:Can't remember who it was, but sometime ago there was a post with a picture of the waterfall scene with the water level up about half of the cliff face (to around where the 2nd fall terminates). I think this is a good prediction... I think they will pause to look over the falls once more ... this will be in about 5-8 newpix I think.

The exact level of the water I'm not sure... my guess is about a 1/3 of the way up.

The question on my mind is whether they will continue to the hill-crest of frame GW-1795 ("I think I can almost see the sea from here") before they turn off on the new course.

It makes sense that they will do that, because it's probably the first point they can get a really good panoramic view and plan their final route.

If they do stop to look across the vista, I'm predicting a major WOW moment at that point as they see for the first time how much the lower-lying lands have changed. The sea will no longer be distant, but will pretty much surround them and they will see scattered islands everywhere.

Are you basing this prediction on anything in particular, or just a sense of how the story will go?

At this point I don't feel like we have any real information about how quickly the water will rise, and in particular when the catastrophic phase will begin. Did I miss something? We know how quickly it was rising during the sandcastle period, but that was quite slow relative to what we expect is coming. The floating bucket suggests the sandcastles are now submerged, but we don't know for sure, and in any case that still only requires a rise of a few meters. All we really have to go on, I think, is Rosetta's testimony. On my first try, I mistyped that as "testimolpy". The key statement seems to be M2916. Transcription from the wiki:

Rosetta wrote:As the water flows it widens the breach. The berm is giving way. The sea will rush through in a giant current. The planet's mightiest river will once again come thundering down the mountainside. The sea will fill not in years but in days.

Future tense. At that point, so far as Rosetta knew, "the berm" hadn't fully given way yet. Do we have any in-comic information to guide our predictions of the water level?

If not, then the only basis I can see for a guess is based on the feel of the story. Here, it seems to me that the critical element is Cuegan somehow meeting up with the rest of the 40. If the water rises too far too soon, it will be very hard for them to find each other (unless, as someone suggested, there's some ancestral refuge point Cuegan can guess they'll head for). So I'm still predicting that the water hasn't risen too much yet.
New to the Time thread? Click here!

"we are dangerously close to answers. Let's hope they lead to more questions..." -- HES

"Expect friskiness." -- keithl

NotAllThere

Postby NotAllThere » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:25 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Is their structure a beached boat or submarine?

Perhaps the structure Cueball and Megan built will reveal to be a boat. It certainly looks like one. (Consider pix 900).
yangosplat wrote:So many amazing quotes, so little room in 300 characters!

gga2

Postby gga2 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:29 pm UTC

nerdsniped wrote:Do we have any in-comic information to guide our predictions of the water level?

The first flashback was to the floating bucket. There was a more recent potential flashback which was all black - possibly meaning that camera view is fully underwater now.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:30 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:Hi there -- my first blindpost. I had a lightning strike take out the modem; can't believe, looking back, that 2 days sans internet could be so weirdfeeling. Its the longest I've been disconnected in maybe 5 Outside years!.
I'm off to ketchup in a lazy VT style. Hoping there's still a thread at the far end.

So here I am typing and watching the hummingraptors at the feeder. Very pretty.

I am glad that the lightning did not take out more than just your modem. See you in the future!
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:34 pm UTC

Finally ketchuped.

I have to BUMP this firstpost from NP 1180 since it wasn't noticed yet:
dm214 wrote:I think it'd be cool if we had a weekly podcast about both the OTC and the OTT. This way weekend blitzers could quickly be updated with regard to recent events.

If we ever go on with this idea, post #3327577 would be an awesome closing line:
And that's the news from Time. Where the river is small, the sea is big, all the castle walls are crenelated, and <insert recent new definition here>.

Welcome! I heard you're idea's and their definately good. Although maybe just a blog would be sufficient too.
Last edited by NoMouse on Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:38 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

nerdsniped

Postby nerdsniped » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:38 pm UTC

gga2 wrote:
nerdsniped wrote:Do we have any in-comic information to guide our predictions of the water level?

The first flashback was to the floating bucket. There was a more recent potential flashback which was all black - possibly meaning that camera view is fully underwater now.

Yes... but even if we assume that, it only means the water has risen at least (say) 10 meters, over what seems to have been an Inside week or two. We're expecting that some time soon (if not already), it will enter a phase where it's rising more like 100 meters / Inside day, yes? So the fact that the original camera is underwater doesn't tell us much.
New to the Time thread? Click here!

"we are dangerously close to answers. Let's hope they lead to more questions..." -- HES

"Expect friskiness." -- keithl

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:39 pm UTC

I have heard from the past that Vytron and HAL9000 are lost in time. I hope they fare well, where ever that may be.
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

Pikrass

Postby Pikrass » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:39 pm UTC

sford wrote:Molpy UP

Spoiler:
The Fennec fox is able to live without free water, as its kidneys are adapted to restrict water loss. It is considered the cutest of the Fox family, and perhaps across all canids, although there have been unverified reports of baskets of bloodhound puppies being even cuter [citation needed].

non-redundant:
Spoiler:
Because they're just so damn cute.

Aww. It reminds me of Teto from 風の谷のナウシカ.
Spoiler:

And after I wrote that, I noticed Someguy945 posted an image of another Ghibli movie. It's all related!
Programmer and waiter devoted to Time.

Scripts for the One True Thread: heretic date to newpix converter; spoiler detector; multiquote; extra hide button for spoilers.
Code, links and instructions on Github.
Bundle (Firefox only)

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:44 pm UTC

nerdsniped wrote:
gga2 wrote:

Yes... but even if we assume that, it only means the water has risen at least (say) 10 meters, over what seems to have been an Inside week or two. We're expecting that some time soon (if not already), it will enter a phase where it's rising more like 100 meters / Inside day, yes? So the fact that the original camera is underwater doesn't tell us much.

So, a realistic prediction of the water level would be at the Bigger Than They Look sand dunes?
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:49 pm UTC

Wow when you actually watch it played, you really see how the water actually flows and stuff!
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

Ebonite

Postby Ebonite » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:53 pm UTC

Montov wrote:I haven't seen a (medical) discussion about the miracle ointment which healed Megan's leg. Any medical experts here what is could've been? Is it futuristic advancement? Nano-bots?

Will the ointment, which could be named Wolverinium, cause problems down the road? Is she already a cyborg?

I don't know what it was, but OTTers dropped it into the comic overnight on a little silver parachute. :D
Sir Ebonite, Lord of the Three Holes
"molpy molpy molpy molpy la la la"

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:56 pm UTC

karhell wrote:Telegraph to the OTTers :

Moving to new flat,
Very little time to Blitz.
Will signpost when done.

... Burma-Shave!

Well, you set us up for that.
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com

gga2

Postby gga2 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:57 pm UTC

moody7277 wrote:So, a realistic prediction of the water level would be at the Bigger Than They Look sand dunes?

I think anything between 'above the camera view of the castle' and where they are now is random guessing, no? I don't recall there being any clues as to points in between. Rosetta seems certain that once the flow starts it will be "days" before their home area is wiped out, but I don't think we know when that time started.

Ebonite

Postby Ebonite » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:59 pm UTC

higgs-boson wrote:
Tatiana wrote:...I would love to see a bossing-around-free thread! Down with bossing! Except for anyone bossing people around to tell them not to boss people around, huzzah! That's the exception that makes the bossing around rule. It's okay to meta-boss, just not to boss. And then I guess that means meta-meta-bossing is out. However, meta-meta-meta-bossing is allowed again. All odd-numbers-of-metas-bossing are allowed while even-numbers-of-metas-bossing-including-zero are strictly prohibited. Got that? ;)

Now imagine that speech with the voice of Ms. Abigail Shuto.

(can't get the grin out of my face.)

Once I realized who you were referring to (it's spelled "Sciuto") I had to laugh. That was perfect!
Sir Ebonite, Lord of the Three Holes
"molpy molpy molpy molpy la la la"

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:00 pm UTC

I DECLARE THIS LEG AS HEALEDONG.
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:02 pm UTC

Another blindpost from NP 1177 to predict:
Rosetta shows up with a fourish, exiting the Millennium Falcon w/ a ChewMolpy, and says to Cuegan, " Well, get in and let's get to your village in less than 10 parsecs."

ETA: that's "flourish" of course :oops: not to be confused with something similar to ground-up seeds of grass-family plants. :mrgreen:
Last edited by cellocgw on Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:56 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
resume
Former OTTer

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:02 pm UTC

I don't get why people think that black frame was a flashback to the beach. It was a nighttime/dark tunnel, exactly like the black frame the previous time they slept in that tower.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:02 pm UTC

Ebonite wrote:
higgs-boson wrote:
Tatiana wrote:...I would love to see a bossing-around-free thread! Down with bossing! Except for anyone bossing people around to tell them not to boss people around, huzzah! That's the exception that makes the bossing around rule. It's okay to meta-boss, just not to boss. And then I guess that means meta-meta-bossing is out. However, meta-meta-meta-bossing is allowed again. All odd-numbers-of-metas-bossing are allowed while even-numbers-of-metas-bossing-including-zero are strictly prohibited. Got that? ;)

Now imagine that speech with the voice of Ms. Abigail Shuto.

(can't get the grin out of my face.)

Once I realized who you were referring to (it's spelled "Sciuto") I had to laugh. That was perfect!

Darn! I should have written "Pauley Perrette"... Thanks for pointing out.
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:03 pm UTC

gga2 wrote:
moody7277 wrote:So, a realistic prediction of the water level would be at the Bigger Than They Look sand dunes?

I think anything between 'above the camera view of the castle' and where they are now is random guessing, no? I don't recall there being any clues as to points in between. Rosetta seems certain that once the flow starts it will be "days" before their home area is wiped out, but I don't think we know when that time started.

We're almost to the point in Cuegan's run down the cliff that we can exclude the cataclysm from having happened already. As previously pointed out, they will be at their scenic overlook soon, and that will be the decisive point. If we assume the rise seen while they were making the sandcastle, and continued with the flashback of the bucket, continues with no speeding up, the dunes can be taken as a good upper limit. Which would mean that Cuegan's tribe would still be safe, if a little confused at the "unusually high tide."
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

keithl

Postby keithl » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:04 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:...ETA: Maybe a really big raft made of baobab trunks...

I don't know what they would use to tie together a really big raft of baobab trunks, but a single one of those trees could keep one or a few people afloat, depending on how wet or dry they are (they store water for the dry season in all that girth).

I would worry about them rolling, but there is the tree at geekwagon 1526, with the bent-over top and cueball saying "It's a pretty big tree. It probably knows what it's doing." That one won't roll.

Since many of the encounters on the way up have found their way into the story on the way down, I expect the trees will prove important, along with that inscription on the tree encountered at geekwagon 1513. Which, BTW, probably isn't for alignment from the survey towers, because it points away from them on the far side of the tree grove.

Lastly - how did the baobabs end up there? Exported baobab fruit.

HES

Postby HES » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:07 pm UTC

Someguy945 wrote:
cryptoengineer wrote:How long can GLR keep this up?

If it ends soon, my guess will be that he created the entire thing in advance, long before we ever saw frame 1.

If it lasts for years, I don't know.

He has said before that, due to the cancer situation, distractions are welcome. I'd say he's found himself one.

Angelastic wrote:I don't get why people think that black frame was a flashback to the beach. It was a nighttime/dark tunnel, exactly like the black frame the previous time they slept in that tower.

I agree, but people don't look too closely if something seems to fit their theory
He/Him/His Image

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:09 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:I don't get why people think that black frame was a flashback to the beach. It was a nighttime/dark tunnel, exactly like the black frame the previous time they slept in that tower.

Exactly. Moreover, if it was a flashback, there would be white frame, then black frame and then another white frame. You can't change the way of depicting flashbacks in the middle of the show, that would be confusing. :)
ETA: Well, 'flashback' is not a good name either since it doesn't show anything from the past...
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

SPACKlick

Postby SPACKlick » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:18 pm UTC

Has anyone put together a single image of the uphill journey? It would be useful for tracking the race downhill, couldn't find it via search.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”