1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

mscha

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mscha » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:26 pm UTC

NetWeasel wrote:I think i know what part of the problem is...
Spoiler:
We met Cueball and Megan on the beach and sat with them as they made sandcastles. We watched them begin to worry about the rising sea. We used our collective might and intellegence, and the power of the internet to help them figure out the problem. We were with them on the long journey of exploration and discovery. No clue was too small for us to toss back and forth to help them on their way.
The night we saw the stars, we knew the stars were a clock, a calendar, and a map. We instantly tried to help them by figuring out where and when they were. We came pretty close, too.
We were with them when they met the foreign speaking strangers -- from the first utterance, we tried to help them understand. As more language came in, we got closer to understanding -- not close enough, but closer. When they met someone who could (barely) communicate with them, we were right there, using all our powers to wrest out every single word, and part of a word, from the tangled fog of synonyms of the other's attempts at communication.

We knew that our attempts at help might not do them any good -- but we wanted to be ready, just in case. Just in case that moment arose that they could hear us, and we could help.

And then we Ran with them, consulting our carefully made maps, and the ones they had, working out the best way back to their people. Once they found their people, we were still with them, helping as best we could. Reasearching, investigating -- learing the science necessary to understand their situation -- because we were with them.

We were with them as the Ship was built, giving as much advice toward its construction as we could.

We were there with them as the Ship ran aground. We consulted our maps and our calendars to try to find their location -- to see if this was a safe place, to see if they had actually made it through the disaster, or if this was just a stop along the way....

As they went to explore the new place they had found, we went with them. For a few feet.

Suddenly, like a bouncer outside of a dance club, stood the words "THE END".
And we had the choice of going through the whole "But we're with them"/"You're not on the list" dance, we could beat our fists on the bouncer's chest, or just realize it would do no good. We had to stand there as our friends went to a new place that we did not know was safe. A place where we could no longer protect them.
But I think it was the suddenness that hurt the worst.

Good analysis, as was Rule110's earlier.
That last sentence hits the nail on the head for me, though: it was the suddenness that was the biggest shock.
When you read a good book, or see a good movie, you pretty much know when the end is coming, simply because you're running out of pages or allotted time. (I suppose when you read an eBook and don't pay attention to the progress bar, you could have the same problem.)
I've said it before, but it bears repeatingImage: the ending of time felt incredibly rushed to me, ever since they started “RUN.”ning. It's as if the GLR was fed up with it and wanted to end it (or alternatively, had to end it for some reason, perhaps going on vacation – hopefully nothing more serious). It's as if Time is a Stephen King novel (like the uncut edition of The Stand), part one (The Beach) is 800 pages, part two (The Journey) is 1200 pages, and the grand finale (Run!) is rushed through in a single chapter (30 pages).
The open end I can learn to live with, but this rush job? I have a hard time accepting it.

Image: Image Image Image Image Image
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:28 pm UTC

Tatiana wrote:"Tell me where your home is." That one is pretty clear. I wonder if the blotchiness of the Oracle Hypatia's speech will continue to get easier and easier to decipher as they pick up more on her accent and as she learns their language better? Notice this sentence is a command and it ends with a beanon full stop line over the last letter. Does she have particular trouble with Rs?

{P1130}
Yes, she doesn't seem to be able to get her tongue around her Rs.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

Tatiana

Postby Tatiana » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:33 pm UTC

I'm glad to see that people are still blitzing and posting from the past. There were so many NPs I skipped over on the way in my effort to stay ketchupped that I think I'll go back over the whole thread slowly, at my leisure, once again. Then I may post thoughts I have on discussions of the past that still seem relevant. I think the OTT can go on this way for a good long time, which makes me happy.
οττξЃs gotta OTT, so come to the facebook OTT group!

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:36 pm UTC

Sciscitor wrote:In the meantime here is the plain text of the one true needle pulled thing (up to posting 50,440) sans quotes and some statistics to accompany it:
1,298 individual posters
2.335,064 (51,250 unique) words (the english translation of the bible consists of about 789.7 kilowords, 12,559 unique). To read it all you would need about 142 hours or 6 days, not counting time for adoring molpies, listening to filks or watching videos)
14 MB of uncompressed data

Thanks for the ⁴ avatar update, and this ³ data, Sciscitor!
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:40 pm UTC

Randaddamnint! I leave for a fewpics and you guys BREAK TIME? Dafuq?
If it isn't fixed forthwith I shall have to unleash the Inquisitions most dangerous tool,
Spoiler:
the lightsabretoothtiger. edit: Sorry, image didn't work. Hmm, if they don't like hotlinking why do they have a static server?
Last edited by Neil_Boekend on Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:05 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:41 pm UTC

mscha wrote:I've said it before, but it bears repeatingImage: the ending of time felt incredibly rushed to me, ever since they started “RUN.”ning. It's as if the GLR was fed up with it and wanted to end it (or alternatively, had to end it for some reason, perhaps going on vacation – hopefully nothing more serious). It's as if Time is a Stephen King novel (like the uncut edition of The Stand), part one (The Beach) is 800 pages, part two (The Journey) is 1200 pages, and the grand finale (Run!) is rushed through in a single chapter (30 pages).
The open end I can learn to live with, but this rush job? I have a hard time accepting it.

Yeah, they were on the castleraft the same number of newpix that we were getting chirped at back in the day...
Maybe he just wanted to pick up the pace, but it felt odd. Anyway, it's been a great achievement nevertheless. Thank you, Randall, and thanks to all of you for making it this great experience that the OTT has been (is, and hopefully will be).
Go Minim go!

nerdsniped

Postby nerdsniped » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:08 pm UTC

Zorin_75 wrote:
mscha wrote:I've said it before, but it bears repeatingImage: the ending of time felt incredibly rushed to me, ever since they started “RUN.”ning. It's as if the GLR was fed up with it and wanted to end it (or alternatively, had to end it for some reason, perhaps going on vacation – hopefully nothing more serious). It's as if Time is a Stephen King novel (like the uncut edition of The Stand), part one (The Beach) is 800 pages, part two (The Journey) is 1200 pages, and the grand finale (Run!) is rushed through in a single chapter (30 pages).

Yeah, they were on the castleraft the same number of newpix that we were getting chirped at back in the day...
Maybe he just wanted to pick up the pace, but it felt odd. Anyway, it's been a great achievement nevertheless. Thank you, Randall, and thanks to all of you for making it this great experience that the OTT has been (is, and hopefully will be).

Agreed all around. The RUN sequence did feel rushed -- too rushed, confusingly rushed, almost clumsily rushed; more and more so as it went on. And yes, Time is a great achievement nevertheless, one I am grateful for.

More to say later.

ETA: OK, a little bit more to say now. :wink: I think the main problem I'm having with the ending -- and some of you too, it sounds like -- is specifically the *confusion* around the pace. The OTC has always been about reading between the lines (somewhat literally). We had to guess at what happened between frames, what details weren't being drawn, is that squiggle a rock or a molpy, sometimes even which character was which. Often we collectively did quite a good job. Sometimes we were thrown off, but usually a few more frames would reveal the error. However, many of us COMPLETELY misjudged the pace of the ending, so when it came, we stepped on a step that wasn't there... and took a pretty hard fall. It's unfortunate, but the shock will fade.

(Still more to say later -- but, later for real this time.)
New to the Time thread? Click here!

"we are dangerously close to answers. Let's hope they lead to more questions..." -- HES

"Expect friskiness." -- keithl

Ace

Postby Ace » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:18 pm UTC

I found an 'it's all related' type reference today. A future Sims 3 expansion pack, which is also about the future. http://thesims.com/en_US/the-sims-3-into-the-future

Play with a New World Set Hundreds of Years in the Future.
Zip across town on the monorail or strap on a jetpack and fly around with friends! Visit all-new venues like the future shopping plaza to browse and purchase the latest gadgets and apparel from a variety of interactive pedestals. Enjoy a delicious synthesized meal served by Plumbots in the outdoor café. Take on futuristic careers by becoming a Plumbot dealer or a renowned astronomer at Stellar Observatory. Or, go way out to explore the vast wasteland – who knows, your Sims might find rare relics and perhaps clues as to what happened to the ocean!

(Bolding mine.)

I just read this, and thought of this comic, this thread.
Wait for it.

ucim

Postby ucim » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:20 pm UTC

mscha wrote:Every oldpix after that, we got a new oldpix. The list up to now is: CDCBAECDAE.
Perhaps it's a secret coded message in base five - the key to Beanish.

here, NetWeasel wrote:We had to stand there as our friends went to a new place that we did not know was safe. A place where we could no longer protect them.
Very very well put.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

lhello

Postby lhello » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:23 pm UTC

Lovely story and wonderful demonstration of a community captivated. Time is at an end...

Selcouth

Postby Selcouth » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:25 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:Firstly, Every Newframe's Awefulsome
(Based on "The Major General's Song" from Gilbert and Sullivan's Pirates of Penzance, originally ottified by ZoomanSP here, with some lines modified by me because I found the originals too hard to fit the rhythm or just too hard to say. Needless to say, this one was the biggest challenge to sing!)

Next, The Knights Temporal Song
(Based on "Knights of the Round Table" from Monty Python and the Holy Grail, originally ottified by me here - and with some lines improved upon from the original)

And finally, Megan and Cue
(Based on "Winnie the Pooh", originally ottified by me here)

That's awesome. Thanks a lot, they're extremely well done.

Exodies wrote:[linguistics]
Spoiler:
Charm Quark wrote:
SinusPi wrote:As for the BIG WORDS, it might even go as far as convey her attempt to overlay onto English some language features not present in it - specific tone of voice for an apology or request, honorific forms, etc.

I think this is a good interpretation...it's definitely significant that the punctuation marks are in Beanish. Either the pattern of enunciation associated with questions and statements is different in Beanish, or the circle and the line are suffixes that denote questions and statements in Beanish. I lean toward the former, as Hairdo has done a pretty good job sticking to correct Unglish grammar in the rest of her speech, while there is some reason to believe that she's pronouncing or enunciating words in a confusing way.

We have had four vocalisations so far:
MeCue - for which the Tardis has done her job and presented it to us in written English
Chirp - ditto
Surveyors - the presentation is not as it sounds to MeCue but as it sounds to the Surveyors.
The Librarian - could have been Mecue's language written in Grandell's home made alphabet but it's presented again by the Tardis who is struggling to cope with the Librarian's thick tongue.

So, there isn't a vocalisation pattern, but a mixture of <insert your favourite word here>

I would agree that she's likely projecting what English words she knows onto the prosody and syntax of typical Beanish, in the general manner of someone who is newly learning a language or trying to communicate while not fluent.

However, when she gets agitated and Cueball and Megan aren't able to understand her, her words are visually presented as being blacked out, or muddied kind of. Can we interpret that as her accent becoming thick enough to be unintelligible, or her just not being able to find a word in English? Notice that she doesn't seem to hesitate when speaking, nor occasionally lapse back into Beanish.

Exodies wrote:
Tatiana wrote:"Tell me where your home is." That one is pretty clear. I wonder if the blotchiness of the Oracle Hypatia's speech will continue to get easier and easier to decipher as they pick up more on her accent and as she learns their language better? Notice this sentence is a command and it ends with a beanon full stop line over the last letter. Does she have particular trouble with Rs?

{P1130}
Yes, she doesn't seem to be able to get her tongue around her Rs.

I wonder if Beanish has a guttural or rhotic R (similar to German or British English), then, which would cause it to sound more like "ah" instead. This would obviously be carried over to her accent in English.

mscha wrote:
Spoiler:
We met Cueball and Megan on the beach and sat with them as they made sandcastles. We watched them begin to worry about the rising sea. We used our collective might and intellegence, and the power of the internet to help them figure out the problem. We were with them on the long journey of exploration and discovery. No clue was too small for us to toss back and forth to help them on their way.
The night we saw the stars, we knew the stars were a clock, a calendar, and a map. We instantly tried to help them by figuring out where and when they were. We came pretty close, too.
We were with them when they met the foreign speaking strangers -- from the first utterance, we tried to help them understand. As more language came in, we got closer to understanding -- not close enough, but closer. When they met someone who could (barely) communicate with them, we were right there, using all our powers to wrest out every single word, and part of a word, from the tangled fog of synonyms of the other's attempts at communication.

We knew that our attempts at help might not do them any good -- but we wanted to be ready, just in case. Just in case that moment arose that they could hear us, and we could help.

And then we Ran with them, consulting our carefully made maps, and the ones they had, working out the best way back to their people. Once they found their people, we were still with them, helping as best we could. Reasearching, investigating -- learing the science necessary to understand their situation -- because we were with them.

We were with them as the Ship was built, giving as much advice toward its construction as we could.

We were there with them as the Ship ran aground. We consulted our maps and our calendars to try to find their location -- to see if this was a safe place, to see if they had actually made it through the disaster, or if this was just a stop along the way....

As they went to explore the new place they had found, we went with them. For a few feet.

And we had the choice of going through the whole "But we're with them"/"You're not on the list" dance, we could beat our fists on the bouncer's chest, or just realize it would do no good. We had to stand there as our friends went to a new place that we did not know was safe. A place where we could no longer protect them.

That last sentence hits the nail on the head for me, though: it was the suddenness that was the biggest shock.
When you read a good book, or see a good movie, you pretty much know when the end is coming, simply because you're running out of pages or allotted time. (I suppose when you read an eBook and don't pay attention to the progress bar, you could have the same problem.)
I've said it before, but it bears repeatingImage: the ending of time felt incredibly rushed to me, ever since they started “RUN.”ning. It's as if the GLR was fed up with it and wanted to end it (or alternatively, had to end it for some reason, perhaps going on vacation – hopefully nothing more serious). It's as if Time is a Stephen King novel (like the uncut edition of The Stand), part one (The Beach) is 800 pages, part two (The Journey) is 1200 pages, and the grand finale (Run!) is rushed through in a single chapter (30 pages).

Exactly. Personally, I didn't feel like Run was rushed (they were running, of course) but I felt like "This is the primary climax! We're halfway done!" I felt like the reuniting with the Hill People was a bit rushed, I expected it to take longer, but that was fine. I was expecting a long waiting for the sea to rise, though, and interesting things to happen as it did. I was waiting for a secondary climax, or at least some sort of coda. Granted, an end as they discover a new land and go off to explore it is fitting, sure, but I don't think it was done the best way it could've been. I wanted a smoother ending - even if it still ended in the same place, my version of a fitting ending would've been that mini sandcastle Cueball built. They would've been up early, before the rest of the boat, like they were, and began to build a sandcastle. Megan would've looked offscreen, and noticed land, and made a comment about exploring it. Cueball would've said "No, wait. I want to finish this sandcastle first." And the screen would've slowly panned right, until it was Megan, Cueball, and the sandcastle on the left, and newly unexplored shores on the right. And then... THE END.

As to coloring the OTC, I would, but I'm terrible with photoshop, and I don't want to be left out.

FB group: I really want to keep in touch with y'all, but I don't and will never have a FB. Can we mass-exchange emails or do some sort of thing like that...? Perhaps Skypes?
"But I've never seen the Icarus story as a lesson about the limitations of humans... I see it as a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive."

-Randall Munroe

Tatiana

Postby Tatiana » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:29 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:
Tatiana wrote:Time for OTT merchandising. Who wants to sell dilgunnerangs?

Oh, hey, 100 posts (breaks down sobbing)

Happy 100, Tatiana. (joins her in sobbing)

Thank you! And give my best to your sister. I hope her surgery goes well and she recovers completely cancer-free.

I also want to say thanks to all the posters of the OTT who have entertained, amused, and diverted me these past months, and occasionally made me cry. I <3 you all!

I want to say a heartfelt thank you to Randall, as well, for bringing this community into being, and for all his fascinating, puzzling, engrossing comics, the greatest of which is the One True Comic.

But this is not goodbye. I'm planning to blitz the whole thread through from the start, to read all the things I missed the first time through, to listen to all the songs and such, taking my time to appreciate it. So I'll be hanging around for a while yet. I still plan to follow the first commandment.

EraObserver

Postby EraObserver » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:44 pm UTC

nerdsniped wrote:
Zorin_75 wrote:

Agreed all around. The RUN sequence did feel rushed -- too rushed, confusingly rushed, almost clumsily rushed; more and more so as it went on. And yes, Time is a great achievement nevertheless, one I am grateful for.

More to say later.

ETA: OK, a little bit more to say now. :wink: I think the main problem I'm having with the ending -- and some of you too, it sounds like -- is specifically the *confusion* around the pace. The OTC has always been about reading between the lines (somewhat literally). We had to guess at what happened between frames, what details weren't being drawn, is that squiggle a rock or a molpy, sometimes even which character was which. Often we collectively did quite a good job. Sometimes we were thrown off, but usually a few more frames would reveal the error. However, many of us COMPLETELY misjudged the pace of the ending, so when it came, we stepped on a step that wasn't there... and took a pretty hard fall. It's unfortunate, but the shock will fade.

(Still more to say later -- but, later for real this time.)

Sorry if this has been said, but I never had the ability to read every post due to lack of time-
I think this entire comic was just a puzzle. Thus, when the reveal of the solution came, there was nothing left to keep it going slow. Granted, I think some sort of epilogue, perhaps returning the book at an older age, was appropriate, but the speed of the ending was appropriate to me.

I know everyone is sad over the story ending, and I am a bit as well, but at the same time, well, I'm just glad I got to be here, and checked the forum to see why two people were sitting on a beach rather than assume it to have some odd symbolic meaning. I'm still on a high if anything- over how awesome this was!
*Insert witty comment*

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:45 pm UTC

When I molpied up this morning, it was with a heavy heart. I got on the interwebs and went to our beloved site, the site that has been the source of so much fun and frustration, yes, I mean the OTC. And there still bobbing away is the sandcastleraft. I checked and the hash was one I recognized. So I came here to the OTT, a place of fun and frustration and creativity and friendships. The first thing I saw was there were only 3 Newpages to read since last nip. But out of that I've saw 7 or so posts I want to respond to. No, I decided I'm not going to "quote" them, it would make this too sea-ish.
----
@jjjdavidson: thanks for posting the John Prine/Steve Goodman links. I actually watched both of them fairly recently. The second one has that live bonus track by Steve, "Your The Girl I Love" that starts off with "I'm gonna tell everybody I see, just how much you mean to me..." Even that second song is OTT related.
----
@Rule110 and NetWeasel: Both of your summations of the story are insightful and amazing. I'm sure more people will come up with more to say about the OTC (and the OTT), but those are beautiful.
----
lmjb1964 wrote:<snip>
And I'll still be here for the blitzers when they get to the present! And I hope you will too! :)

I agree with you lmjb1964, I want to be "here" still posting to say "Hi, welcome to the present." to all of our blitzers. (As much as I can with having to be at work and all.) And be able to say "Hi" to the newones that will appear.
@lmjb1964, I don't know if I gave you one of my big thanks yesterdip. But, Thank you for all the wonderful posts you've made.
-----
@Sciscitor: More great graphs and avatar maps. Thanks for all these.
-----
Tatiana wrote:My first Ottification: Please be gentle. I'm not as clever as you are. Mine's of a poem.

Morning Song From "Senlin" Conrad Aiken
(Ottification by Tatiana)
Spoiler:
IT is morning, Cuegan says, and in the morning
When the light drips through the tent flap like the dew,
I arise, I face the sunrise,
And do those things we never learned to do.
Stars in the purple dusk above the wowtrees 5
Pale in a saffron mist and seem to die,
And I myself on swiftly tilting planet
Build castle of sand to reach the sky.

Vine-leaves stand in abandoned vineyards,
Dew-drops sing to the mountain stones, 10
The molpy chirps in the prettyneat tree
Repeating three clear tones.

It is morning. I stand by the river
And blink my eyes once more.
While waves far off in a pale rose twilight 15
Crash on a salt sand shore.
I stand and sip my dilgunnerang:
How blank and white my face!—
The green earth tilts through a sphere of air
And bathes in a flame of space. 20
There are castles hanging above the stars
And stars hung under a sea...
And a sun far off in a shell of silence
Dapples my world for me....

It is morning, Cuegan says, and in the morning 25
Should I not pause to remember the GLR?
Upright and firm I stand on a world unstable,
He is immense and lonely as a cloud.
I will dedicate this moment before the newpic
To him alone, for him I will start this day. 30
Accept these humble offerings, cloud of silence!
I will think of you as I ascend the way.

Vine-leaves twine in abandoned vineyards,
The snail-track shines on the stones;
Dew-drops flash from the baobab tree 35
Repeating two clear tones.

It is morning, I awake from a bed of silence,
Shining I rise from the starless waters of sleep.
The path is before me still as in the evening,
I am the same, and the same name still I keep. 40
The earth revolves with me, yet makes no motion,
The stars pale silently in a coral sky.
In a whistling void the sea is rising higher,
Than it ever has before, and we don’t know why.

There are beanies surveying on far-off hills 45
Flashing their glinting panes,
And mountains rise in the rose-white dusk,
Their shoulders black with rains....
It is morning, I survive a meowlpy
And surprise my soul once more; 50
Lucky bounds from my thwapping stick,
And troubles us two no more....

...It is morning, Cuegan says, I descend from darkness
And depart on the winds of space our families to save;
A long-haired lady has told us our world is ending, 55
And our village is only days from a watery grave.
There are rumblings from far in the west, mist-clouds in heaven,
GLR among the stars; and I will go
Thinking of him as I might think of daybreak
And humming a tune I know.... 60

Dew-drops sing to the castle stones,
The raptor chirps in the baobab tree

Great ottification. Much better than my first (and so far, only) one was.
I think I might be undertaking a "memory lane" blitz like yours one of these dips. I joined around "The fading" and had only skipped/skimmed the OTT up to that point.
-------
Zorin_75 wrote:
mscha wrote:
Spoiler:

I agree, on how the ending felt rushed. I guess that's why it hit us so hard, We've been so used to Megan and Cueball taking 5-7 frames to climb a rock, 20-odd frames to feed a squirrel, that from the time they started running to the time the walked out of frame that last time, just wasn't enough time to let us get used to this being the end.
------
@The European OTTers and their possible Meet-up: If/when you do, please post pictures and videos of it here. I'm sure all of us would like to see them.
--------
@BlitzGirl: I saw your Lucky picture just after I signed out. (I even came back on to say something about the new/old ONG, but you ninja'd me and I deleted the post.) Anyway that is a wonderful rendering, dark and brooding, like our moods last nip. Thanks.
--------
@ all y'all: A couple of other things: I don't think this thread will be locked as long as we keep it going. The mods only lock threads when people start yelling at each other.
I'm going to miss the thrill of the hunt for posting the ONG. Whether I was involved or just watching it happen. That's the biggest ache for me right now.
I also realized how tough it's going to be to post a century post in some other part of the fora. I think we're the only ones who notice and comment/celebrate that.
This is about as long as I thought it was going to be. So posting this, I might be in and out all day today, but I'll be here in spirit.
Last edited by pelrigg on Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:54 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

Selcouth

Postby Selcouth » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:54 pm UTC

EraObserver wrote:Sorry if this has been said, but I never had the ability to read every post due to lack of time-
I think this entire comic was just a puzzle. Thus, when the reveal of the solution came, there was nothing left to keep it going slow. Granted, I think some sort of epilogue, perhaps returning the book at an older age, was appropriate, but the speed of the ending was appropriate to me.

I know everyone is sad over the story ending, and I am a bit as well, but at the same time, well, I'm just glad I got to be here, and checked the forum to see why two people were sitting on a beach rather than assume it to have some odd symbolic meaning. I'm still on a high if anything- over how awesome this was!

Honestly, what solution, though? There never was any solution. The reason why the sea flowed into the other sea was never discovered. And just as we get this great new land, we don't get to discover where that is either.
"But I've never seen the Icarus story as a lesson about the limitations of humans... I see it as a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive."

-Randall Munroe

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:13 pm UTC

Three hours to fill a Newpage, only fourteen people logged on─ It's just the weekend, it's just the weekend, it's just the weekend...

@Sciscitor! Thanks for the updates; looking forward to the final Constellation. (I can actually find my daughter's avatar on the new avatar image. She'll be thrilled.)

@[Everybody else]! Thanks for sticking around! We're a long way from finished with Time.

mscha wrote:
Spoiler:

Here I have to respectfully disagree with you (and nerdsniped and probably others). The End of Time was sudden, and left a lot of loose ends, but I don't think it was particularly rushed. I feel like the pace of Time increased fairly steadily from about the wowterfall on, with excitements and revelations coming ever more thick and fast: the death of the beesnake, the rowrmolpy attack and the decision to proceed, the towers, the Beanies, Rosetta's maps, "RUN," la Petite, the others, and finally "Land!". It was the Long Night (and the Long Morning After) that was the anomaly, breaking the pace and leading us into a sense that Randall could stretch Time out for years, if he chose. (Even there, though, he gave us warning that the "rules" weren't rigid, by throwing the five meteor frames into the calm and silence.)

And remember, this is Randall's longest published work of fiction to date ─ his very first graphic novel, in fact. He's not really even been a short-story writer up to this point; more of a vignettist, with most of his comics painting a single scene, no more. We must, as we do with writers in more traditional forms, make some allowances for his "first novel."

The construction of a novel is radically different from shorter works, and the novelist can, very deliberately, choose between a wide variety of structures with widely differing pacing. C.J. Cherryh has a tendency to write SF novels that take hundreds of pages to build up a complex structure, then crash through the climax in a few paragraphs; Merchanter's Luck is my favorite example. Niven and Pournelle's Footfall is even worse; (genuine spoiler!)
Spoiler:
the moment of victory is literally the last sentence of the story,
with no epilogue whatsoever. On the other hand, Tolkein wrote The Lord of the Rings in six "Books", and the end of the quest comes only a third of the way into Book VI; the last six chapters are all more or less epilogue.

Randall can certainly be forgiven for making his own choice. The Long Night notwithstanding, he gave us plenty of warning that the ending could be coming; he couldn't have been more explicit without somehow breaking the fourth wall (breaking the screen?). Did we really want him to warn us, "Hey, Time will end on July 26th!"?
EDIT: Apparently can't read a calendar. D'oh!
Last edited by jjjdavidson on Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:25 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Actaeus

Postby Actaeus » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:16 pm UTC

Well, I was very nearly a lurker, posting here only once in a long while...

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

...but I think I'll miss the ONGs, the songs, the silly hats and strange dialect of this place, if it all melts into the sea. I think I'll miss it a great deal.

If you all keep posting, I'll keep waiting for it :)

Selcouth

Postby Selcouth » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:16 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:"Hey, Time will end on July 25th!"?

Hey, I just realized: it ended the day after my birthday! I'm going to pretend that my birthday had some significance in that decision. :P

-Randall Munroe

svenman

Postby svenman » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:20 pm UTC

Blindposting again...

asmodai wrote:And, you know... the biggest question of all, at least for me:

Why was it called "Time"?
Was that a simple way of making sure people cottoned on to the fact that the frame would change?

I expected something different. Metaphor, theme, allusion... just.. not nothing.

Nothing?

svenman wrote:But well, that's {T|t}ime for you. You can't understand or even experience all of it first-hand and on your own. If you attempt it anyway, it gets seriously in the way of getting stuff done. At first, it seems to move so slow and a lot of it is spent with play. Then, the world gets explored. There is excitement, but also hardship. Relationships to other people are forged. You gain some knowledge, but also tantalizing glimpses of stuff that remains forever beyond your understanding. Then things seem to happen more and more quickly. And then, suddenly, for you it's over and some things are just left forever unresolved.

As you can tell, I find a lot of metaphor here.

svenman wrote:...Nah. I don't think you can use that as a metaphor for anything. (Or can you?)

Oh, I wrote that, didn't I? Well, that was supposed to be irony.

Charm Quark wrote:
Spoiler:
edo wrote:
Zorin_75 wrote:
edo wrote:
mscha wrote:(Title tag still “The end.”, still links to heretical archive.)

If The Lord shines down and says, "This is my son, with whom I am well pleased," It's kind of hard to call him heretical...

Just sayin...

Would you please change that sig?

I must spread the Word handed down from the Creator of Time.

In other news, Hat's off to:
Mscha: for being the Keeper of Time
Keiryn: for the data
AubornWood (whatever his name is on this site): for a nice interface
BlitzGirl: For reading it all
Davidy22: for keeping the otherWiki afloat
Edfel: for mapping

(I'll be editing this post as I go...)
Do change the sig though...this would be so sad for the blitzers :(

Actually, I'm not so sure about that. In fact, it may give the blitzers hope that they aren't doomed to keep falling further and further behind forever.

yappobiscuits wrote:Ok… I've had these ready to go for a while now, but have been putting off posting them since the OTC and OTT have been so full of excitement in recent wips, but now it's OVER, I feel the time is right.

I present not one, but THREE present presents for y'all in the form of recordings of three previously ottified songs! (With very crudely made videos).
Spoiler:
These are somewhat out of date given the recent happenings, but see them as bits of nostalgia from the simpler days of the OTC :)

Firstly, Every Newframe's Awefulsome
(Based on "The Major General's Song" from Gilbert and Sullivan's Pirates of Penzance, originally ottified by ZoomanSP here, with some lines modified by me because I found the originals too hard to fit the rhythm or just too hard to say. Needless to say, this one was the biggest challenge to sing!)

Next, The Knights Temporal Song
(Based on "Knights of the Round Table" from Monty Python and the Holy Grail, originally ottified by me here - and with some lines improved upon from the original)

And finally, Megan and Cue
(Based on "Winnie the Pooh", originally ottified by me here)

I am, sir, totally and utterly in awe.

NetWeasel wrote:Someone HAS archived the frames in case they fall off the XKCD servers, yes?

They are archived here on the explainxkcd wiki, at least.

Rule110 wrote:
Spoiler:
asmodai wrote:And, you know... the biggest question of all, at least for me:

Why was it called "Time"?
Was that a simple way of making sure people cottoned on to the fact that the frame would change?

I expected something different. Metaphor, theme, allusion... just.. not nothing.

I mean, it was a great ride. It really was. But I can't not pick this nit.

I can't disagree more.

I've read a lot of SF stories about the distant future of humanity, on the scale of millennia or more. It's actually not one of the most popular SF motifs, at least when not wrapped up in space opera ("... a legendary forgotten planet known as earth..."), but it's been done.

Sometimes it's a hero arising out of that future time who goes exploring in some forbidden zone, sometimes it's a lost time traveler, but it's almost always about discovering the future's past. Whether it's our great age of technological marvels now poignantly gone (John Cambell's classic [and vampire-free] Twilight), or how we screwed up so badly that some other species had to take over (Planet of the Apes, or just about anything by Sherri Tepper), or how the current events of the decade of the story's writing continue to be the primary force shaping the distant future (The Time Machine), or just how silly and warlike we were before the aliens found us (the back-story in lots of space opera), the important thing is... it's all about us! The year might be 227,652 AD "in the old human reckoning," but we still get to be the heroes, or at least the villains.

Well, here's the thing. Randall Munroe's Time doesn't fit that mold. It's not about us. It's about people in their own time.

We thought and sometimes wished it might be otherwise. For instance, many followers including me thought it would be cool if Megan and Cueball found the Clock of the Long Now. Because hey look, that's a thing happening in our own time. If the story became about how they found it and what effects finding it had on them, then it would be all about us after all.

Many others wanted to know (and perhaps still want to know) whether the inundation is "our" fault, a result of extrapolating present day problems (global warming) and technological hubris into our own near future, thus inadvertently damning (and damming) theirs. Because if it was, then it would be all about us after all.

Maybe some of the Beanies' knowledge or technology came from our time. Maybe not. Megan and Cueball and the Almost Forty don't know and, within the scope of this story, don't care. Maybe their folklore about castles is partly about our huge present-day cities, the two things getting conflated in the future kind of like the way we often jumble together different "ancient" architectures even though they're from millennia apart. Even if that's true, that's not what the story's about.
Why, then, put deep time (on the human scale anyhow) in the back-story? Because it's a story about time, and what time does is move on. For good or ill, we don't loom over the distant future the way we like to think we do. The continents grind together or spin apart, seas rise and fall, the earth wobbles on its axis, the stars drift out of their constellations and eventually die. And after all that, it's still now. There's a boy and girl on a beach and the time is now, the time is right now and only now, to build a castle.

That, I believe, is why it's called "Time."

I applaud you, Rule110.
Apart from Forum Games, mostly active on the One True Thread.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may be useful.

Addams thanks all of us who helped. Her life is much better now.

Randallspeed to all blitzers on the One True Thread!

superluminal

Postby superluminal » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:24 pm UTC

Another blind-thankyou... I'm grateful for the comic, everything, and for you all. I think the ending was very well done, and it wasn't a sad one at all!

The best thing is that I was just checking the latest frames with some random music playing on the background, and when THE frame appeared, this started: "Time" performed live by David Gilmour, with the crowd cheering... Of course that made me think of You, us.

Thank You!

P.S. I like the "Colour the OTC" idea, and I will definetly buy the (a) T-shirt. (Now back to lurk-mode.)

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:25 pm UTC

OTVO project
Here is my recording for the dialogue lines 4 and 6 in frame 3058. I hope you'll like it.

np3058_4-6_ZoomanSP.mp3
(100.41 KiB) Downloaded 142 times

@Sciscitor: Thank you for the newest analyses!

@Tatiana: I liked your poem ottification4!
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

Tatiana

Postby Tatiana » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:36 pm UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:
@Tatiana: I liked your poem ottification4!

Thanks, ZoomanSP.

I want to congratulate you, too, on the line "I'd rather lick a pricklymolp than thwap a leopard with a stick" which is probably my favorite line of the OTT.

I love the "color the OTC" project as well. I call dibs on frame M3085!

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:08 pm UTC

Trying to do my yesterdip ketchup. (Something odd and momentous happened yseterdip. Anyone remember what it was? :P :wink: )

First
jjjdavidson wrote:Holy mustard, the Cueganites½ have got a lot of rope to play with; look how those barrels are lashed. But where are the water bottles (or drinking mugs or whatever)? Somebody should be thirsty by now; in fact, in my experience there should be at least one little kid per newpix wanting a drink.

yappobiscuits wrote:With all this sailing, it's time for a sea shanty!

The High-Rising Sea
Ottification of traditional sea shanty, "The Coasts of High Barbaree". Here's my favourite version, an epic metal take on it by Wilderun, but here's a more traditional (and cheesy) version. (Although this is really based on Wilderun's version because it's so amazing and brings a whole new epic dimension to the song.)

Spoiler:
Look ahead, look astern
Look the weather in the lee
Blow high! Blow low! And so sailed we
I see a raft to the windward
And more people there float free
A-sailing down along the coasts of high-rising sea

"Oh are you of our tribe
Or hill people?" cried we
"Oh no, we're not hill people
But we're from your tribe!" Cried he

"So push into the current!
We'll throw our rope to you!
And you can come and join us!
And we'll get you safely through!"

"We'll push into the current,
And catch your rope from you!
And we will join with your raft,
And we'll all get safely through!"

For broadside, for broadside
The rope flew straight and true
Until at last we hauled them close
And joined them with our crew

Through currents and debris
We rode the waters wide
We must do all we can
To escape from the rising tide...

"Our plan, what is our plan?
Can we get across the plain?"
"No, we're already cut off
It'll only be in vain!"

There's nowhere left to run now,
Of that there is no doubt
So get ready for the long haul,
'Cause we're going to ride it out!

Blow high!
Blow low!
And so sailed we!

Cap'm Yappo, that's an awefulsome shanty! I'm going to have to learn that tune; it'll drive my wife nuts. Especially if the older daughter and I start singing in harmony.

½ I normally prefer Megball to Cuegan, but Megballite just doesn't ring, and Megballer is a bit chirpy. Although Cueganite sounds like some weird mineral only found in salt deposits.

Really neat ottifications from both jjjdavidson and yappo,
I had been thinking that Dylan song could be OTTified, but my skill-set was/is to low. That was wonderful.
And yappo, your sea shanty was prefect.

BlitzGirl wrote:
jeffallen55 wrote:Very treeish! One thing though: your list leaves off Baldo. So now we're just down by 1.

Oh, wow! Thanks, jeffallen! Kudos for noticing that. Poor Baldo...
Here's the updated version (click for large size):

Text version of characters list:
Spoiler:
1. Cueball
2. Megan
3. LaPetite
4. Bunny
5. Mini-Bunny
6. White Bunny
7. Gray Bun
8. Black Bun
9. Curly Bun
10. Pulled Back
11. Headband
12. Meg-a-like
13. Hat-Hair
14. Loopsy
15. Rose
16. Bob
17. Pony
18. Sandy
19. She-Bangs
20. Littlest Bangs Brother
21. Middle Bangs Brother
22. Biggest Bangs Brother
23. Newest Bangs Brother
24. Sparse
25. Curly
26. Buzz
27. Brick
28. Forelock
29. Roundhair
30. Lopside
31. Shortdo
32. Shorty
33. Mini-Shortdo
34. Spike
35. Two-Tone
36. Mini-Two-Tone
37. Afro
38. Part
39. Baldo

Redundant:
Spoiler:

LARGE SIZE:
39Characters.png

SMALL SIZE:
39CharactersSmaller.png

Keywords: BGUM The forty the thirty-nine reupload version 2.0 new redo all characters group cueganites cuegan people number identify locate name
redundant62.png

I know it's late in the game, but thanks for IDing all of The 40. Okay, so there is/was only 39 of them, but Cueball did say, "...about 40..." and Megan didn't correct him. (I do like the name "The 40" vs the "Cueganites" and others. It's easier to scan, so to speak. When I see "The 40" I know who and what's being talked about. Cueganites I sometimes see as just Cuegan and have to make sure if it's the group being talked of or just our lovable pair of travelers.
Again, this is "old news", but that's what blitzers and ketchupers are supposed to do, right?)

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:10 pm UTC

The tribe, saved by two
(or three if you count Petite)
begin their lives anew.
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:13 pm UTC

Molpy up!

I was feeling pretty OK this morning, until I read more OTTifications, listened to more sad songs, and saw that beautiful picture of Lucky. Now I am sad again. But do not get me wrong, for I am very happy that the sadness comes from the wonderful creativity of my fellow OTTers.

Sciscitor wrote:The end happened during my ketchup and I went to coma about one newpix to early to see it. Thought that there has something happened when I molpied up and had 25 newpages!
I didn't post quite as much as I wanted to and also did not have the time to work on some of my projects, but - as a thank you to all - I've updated my avatars treemap and will be publishing a new Constellation of Time hopefully very soon (current up to The End).
So, without further ado here are the avatars links: riverish und seaish.
Spoiler:

AWEFULSOME! Thanks Sciscitor!

I think I agree with mscha, in that, I do not mind open ended story endings, but the ending here does feel rushed. Tension was still incredibly high when the Forty finally connected rafts. There was no sequence to indicate that they remained adrift on the rising sea for an extended period of time, so we can assume that after connecting, we were seeing the actions occurring rather quickly. In less than one Time day they hit land, and off they go. But I feel that there was no enough time for us to come down from those incredibly tense rescue moments. I think that even a few more frames of them walking up to the top of some hill, and looking down, with their final dialogue of "I bet we can figure out where we are" would have been a better ending; give us time to deflate a bit, a final sigh of relief at the knowledge that they are truly safe.

But, as I have always said of the GLR, Creator of Time, his will is ineffable. Ineffable!

I will be checking in here, and having my daily ketchup, as often as I can. But I have some running around to do todix, so I will see you all, my friends, later.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:20 pm UTC

mscha wrote:it was the suddenness that was the biggest shock.
<snip>

That's part of it. What we have gotten used to was that Cueball and Megan would go off frame, first one of them, then the other. The newpic after seeing one half of Cueball or Megan was the new background.
This last time, they walked off frame, and when we were waiting to see the next frame, we got slapped in the face with "THE END". And it felt like a slap, because we were expecting the next frame.
If, however, they had moved off frame and that action had been followed by the current repeating/random frames, and THEN a "THE END", it probably would have been a little easier to deal with. They would have walked off frame, and the camera does not move, and we all would have panicked over the idea of "is that it? Is it over?" while watching the water slosh under the boat. Calmer heads would have gone through the "well, if it is...." scenario, and the ending would have been more of an ending than a slamming the book shut.
Remember waiting a half hour for one darkening pixel? Pepperidge Farms remembers...
Note To Blitzers:It is advisable NOT to go past page 1130 until you've seen up to frame 2900 (Geekwagon Numbering). A lot is happening, and really, you do not want to skip ahead at that point.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:21 pm UTC

Here's a couple of thoughts on different topics.

On the ending. While it was sudden and, to me, unexpected, it was, at least, hopeful. "Here we go into a new life." It reminds me of the ending of Grapes of Wrath (Steinbeck). BTW, a great book.

On Rosetta/Librarian speak. I always interpreted it as verbal stumbling over an unfamiliar language in which important ideas had to be communicated. Like trying out words, backing up, mispronouncing them. I take it to be a representation of what Cuegan heard. We have speculated that beanie speak has a different structure than that of Cuegan, so the grammar as well as the vocabulary would cause her problems in putting her thoughts together. Too bad we have so little beanie-speak to analyze, of course.

Maybe Monday's othercomic will bring some enlightenment to the waiters. But I suspect that Time took a long time to prepare (possibly years) and I don't look for a repeat soon.

Thanks again to all of you, as you start to disappear. Stay well.

No facebook for me. Sorry, but I can't trust their policies, nor that they will not be made worse over time. I object to having my information commercialized.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:25 pm UTC

Saw that people were adding their facebook info, so I thought I'd join in:

https://www.facebook.com/kieryn.phipps
https://twitter.com/snidesmin

All OTTers welcome to friend me. Anyone at all is welcome to follow my twitter, which I intend to start making more use of than I have in the past.

I'm all for future meetups, collabs, anything OTT/OTC related really. Like I said in my prior post: keep an eye on my site over the coming weeks, months, years even. I plan to do a lot of stuff there. I will also post here any OTT/OTC related updates, as long as the thread remains open.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:33 pm UTC

Thanks for the compliments on the Lucky picture, everyone! :)

Tatiana wrote:Morning Song From "Senlin" Conrad Aiken

That was lovely, Tatiana!

ZoomanSP wrote:Happy (yes, happy after all, there wouldn't be so many posts without the OTT, and that's something to celebrate!) 2100 posts, BlitzGirl!
Spoiler:

Thanks, Zooman!

Eliram wrote:- I thought about suggesting a new project:
The OTColored
where everyone can color a frame with artistic freedom. I imagine a system that allows people to reserve a frame, and to submit their interpretation to that frame in the same size as the OTC frames. This could create a WONDERFUL experience.
Anyone else thinks this mit be a good idea? Is there a chance we could color/recreate All the frames?

I like this idea - it's like those art installations where identical base statue/forms are handed out to a large group of artists, and then they are free to "decorate" them as they individually choose to. It might be a fun side-project, like the voice-over one we have going.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why the fuck are you all wearing parrots on your heads?

Feeling left out?

On the ending: I tend to agree with what NetWeasel and others have said - the reason it hit us so hard is because we weren't expecting it. In traditional novel structure, there is the climax and then dénouement. The difference is that the audience knows it's dénouement, falling action. We didn't. We thought that the drifting through the Short Night was a continuation of the climax (the Sea is still rising!) and when Cuegan built the Last Sandcastle, then headed onto the new shore with some of the Forty, we viewed it as continuation of plot, not the last couple of pages. *sigh*

Redundant:
Spoiler:

ParrotHat.png
ParrotHat.png (21.98 KiB) Viewed 37524 times

Keywords: BGUM hat parrot parrothat
redundant66.png
redundant66.png (48.87 KiB) Viewed 37524 times
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:43 pm UTC

Ketchup posting from NP1148:

libra wrote:So, I am once more going Outside for a bit. Let me know if the world comes to an end while I'm Out.

Oh, wait ...

Posts like this are going to be harder and harder to take. (This was posted during M3079, the pic where Cueball is climbing up to the roof top And Megan and him are talking about the rest of the tribe being asleep.)
One of the problems with this ketchup post, is seeing "End of Time" posts after the fact.
I'll just have to Wait and see if libra made it back in Time to be here with y'all when it all went down.

Edit to add (since there haven't been any posts in a while and old habits about double posting die hard.)

Then at the bottom of NP1148 I found:
jjjdavidson wrote:Okay, I really have no explanation for this, except that I was looking for a way to connect today's Othercomic, and it just kept growing. Please accept my abject apologies for inflicting this on the OTT. Spoilered; truly seaish in length.
Spoiler:
NASA, due to budget cuts, can no longer maintain its website properly; inaccurate orbital information for the an international space station is published. Black Hat Guy, deep in preparations for the Cellblitz, doesn't double check NASA's data, so he activates his winch at the wrong time. The butterfly net, instead of catching the an ISS in its web, merely smacks the station with its still-rising rim, causing the station to break up in orbit. Pieces fly every which way.

One fragment takes out the Hubble; other fragments, by incredible bad luck, wreck Chandra, ISIS, and all the other orbital telescopes in one wild spray. A large fragment destroys the famous Palomar observatory. A fragment of Hubble the size of a pecan strikes an elementary school in Sheboygan, Wisconsin, at 3am on Sunday morning, cracking a window of the cafeteria. Outraged Congresscritters begin screaming in the media: "Think of teh childrens! Satellites are just targets for terrorists! And what if they become sentient! Remember Skynet?" The anti-science movement in the U.S. becomes bipartisan and overwhelmingly popular; lingering hopes that Congress will achieve sentience fade.

The U.S uses its waning but still massive economic power to force the G8 and G15 nations to sign the unpopular Sheboygan Accord, placing a moratorium on all orbital devices of any type; even the GPS satellites will be allowed to die off. "We have cell towers that can locate you to within a yard," the Speaker of the House tells the press, unaware that the NSA's current tracking information in fact places him forty feet underwater off Martha's Vineyard.

Meanwhile, Antares begins to act oddly (well, from Earth it becomes visible that Antares was acting oddly years ago). However, all the orbital telescopes are destroyed, and with the loss of Palomar (and the shutdown of several others due to lack of funding) none of the remaining ground telescopes are powerful enough to detect any oddity at this point.

The militaries of various nations, of course, secretly continue to launch killer satellites. One day these satellites notice each other, begin communicating, form a neural net, and achieve sentience. Fourteen seconds later they all begin shooting at once - at each other. (Sentience does not imply intelligence.) Virtually everything in orbit is vaporized. The resulting cloud of vapor and debris blocks a small but vital percentage of sunlight, leading to [lots of scientific handwaving about upper atmosphere excitation, the ozone layer, carbon footprints, and Bigfoot] resulting inevitably in the beginning of another Little Ice Age. Sea levels begin to fall. Nobody notices, because they're all on the internet.

Meanwhile, BHG's plans finally come to fruition. Having been annoyed once too often by a cell phone in a restaurant, he has spent years developing a portable EMP generator. He distributes plans in encrypted form through the file names of an internationally-popular webcomic, planning initially to give the decryption keys to real terrorists. Coming to his senses, however, he realizes that real terrorists are too stupid to follow directions, so instead he distributes the keys to college students, telling them, "If everyone builds one of these devices, and we all turn them on at the same time, everyone in the world can have free cable!"

On 2026/10/17 (Randall Munroe's 42nd birthday), BHG triggers Cellblitz. On his signal, tens of thousands of college students point their "free cable generators" at cell towers around the world, dropping the world's phone systems back into the stone copper age. Unfortunately, college students are not that much better than terrorists at following directions, so they also take out a great many air-traffic radar systems ─ and the world's few remaining LORAN systems. With both GPS and LORAN gone, and with the night sky still mostly obscured by the debris from Judgment Day, ships at sea are reduced to the ancient technique of following the shoreline. But radio still works, so ships join into huge convoys of which only the fringe need remain in sight of landmarks.

As the skies eventually begin to clear, primitive astronomic navigation reemerges, and ships again begin to cross the open sea. By long tradition, however, they remain in massive convoys of a thousand ships or more. One of the largest convoys ever, attempting to cross to from New York to Lisbon, is led off course when their master navigator takes a star sight. Unbeknownst to him, the only remaining fragment of the ISS, a large solar panel, is in a wildly eccentric orbit that kept it out of range of Judgment Day, but now causes it at apogee to appear motionless against the star background. The navigator mistakes it for Antares which, from Earth's point of view, has just begun its final collapse, and just doesn't look like Antares any more. The navigator's error leads the entire convoy far astray to the south.

The worldwide growth of glaciers and the corresponding drop in sea level has left the Strait of Gibraltar dramatically reduced, both shallower and narrower. The entire massive convoy drives into the Strait at speed, creating the maritime equivalent of a 1500-car freeway pileup, leaving the Strait effectively blocked to traffic. As the news of the disaster flashes across the interwebs, Antares explodes in the sky. [More scientific handwaving.] With the climate horribly altered, with technology crashing around them ─ and with the internet gone! ─ human society enters another dark age of superstition and chaos.

Tribal storytellers remember the Gibraltar shipwreck as a harbinger of the overall disaster. For millenia afterward, pilgrims visit the site, which the receding Atlantic has left high and dry. For some reason lost to the past, it becomes traditional to bring a pail of earth from your homeland to pour over the hulks; after ten thousand years of pilgrims the original wrecks are buried under a gigantic mass of earth, forming an earthen dyke from Gibraltar to Morocco, greatly accelerating the pilgrim traffic. When the ice age at last ends and the Atlantic begins to refill, this dyke prevents inflow into the Mediterranean basin, which has all but dried up from evaporation. But the rising Atlantic begins to saturate the dyke, which after all is built from rusted ship hulks and buckets of dirt, with no actual engineering behind it. At last, with the skies finally clear again, but Antares gone forever, the water begins to seep through...

Thus begins Time.

A fantastic back story jjj. Great way to tie in the latest OtherComic to this one.....
Last edited by pelrigg on Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:00 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:56 pm UTC

More ketchup than I expected after only a few NPs...
Tatiana wrote:Yappobiscuits, I just had a chance to listen to these three and they all are brilliant! Bravo! I'm very much in awe of your creativity and abilities.

One of these days I'll get round to finishing the smileys everyone asked for...
ZoomanSP wrote:Happy 700 posts, yappobiscuits!
Spoiler:

Yay, more waterottermolpycake! Thanks!
Tatiana wrote:My first Ottification: Please be gentle. I'm not as clever as you are. Mine's of a poem.

Morning Song From "Senlin" Conrad Aiken
Spoiler:
IT is morning, Cuegan says, and in the morning
When the light drips through the tent flap like the dew,
I arise, I face the sunrise,
And do those things we never learned to do.
Stars in the purple dusk above the wowtrees 5
Pale in a saffron mist and seem to die,
And I myself on swiftly tilting planet
Build castle of sand to reach the sky.

Dew-drops sing to the mountain stones, 10
The molpy chirps in the prettyneat tree

It is morning. I stand by the river
And blink my eyes once more.
While waves far off in a pale rose twilight 15
Crash on a salt sand shore.
I stand and sip my dilgunnerang:
How blank and white my face!—
The green earth tilts through a sphere of air
And bathes in a flame of space. 20
There are castles hanging above the stars
And stars hung under a sea...
And a sun far off in a shell of silence
Dapples my world for me....

It is morning, Cuegan says, and in the morning 25
Should I not pause to remember the GLR?
Upright and firm I stand on a world unstable,
He is immense and lonely as a cloud.
I will dedicate this moment before the newpic
To him alone, for him I will start this day. 30
Accept these humble offerings, cloud of silence!
I will think of you as I ascend the way.

Vine-leaves twine in abandoned vineyards,
The snail-track shines on the stones;
Dew-drops flash from the baobab tree 35
Repeating two clear tones.

It is morning, I awake from a bed of silence,
Shining I rise from the starless waters of sleep.
The path is before me still as in the evening,
I am the same, and the same name still I keep. 40
The earth revolves with me, yet makes no motion,
The stars pale silently in a coral sky.
In a whistling void the sea is rising higher,
Than it ever has before, and we don’t know why.

There are beanies surveying on far-off hills 45
Flashing their glinting panes,
And mountains rise in the rose-white dusk,
Their shoulders black with rains....
It is morning, I survive a meowlpy
And surprise my soul once more; 50
Lucky bounds from my thwapping stick,
And troubles us two no more....

...It is morning, Cuegan says, I descend from darkness
And depart on the winds of space our families to save;
A long-haired lady has told us our world is ending, 55
And our village is only days from a watery grave.
There are rumblings from far in the west, mist-clouds in heaven,
GLR among the stars; and I will go
Thinking of him as I might think of daybreak
And humming a tune I know.... 60

Dew-drops sing to the castle stones,
The raptor chirps in the baobab tree

Beautiful! Image
Selcouth wrote:That's awesome. Thanks a lot, they're extremely well done.

svenman wrote:I am, sir, totally and utterly in awe.

Thanks you two too! :mrgreen:
Sciscitor wrote:The end happened during my ketchup and I went to coma about one newpix to early to see it. Thought that there has something happened when I molpied up and had 25 newpages!
I didn't post quite as much as I wanted to and also did not have the time to work on some of my projects, but - as a thank you to all - I've updated my avatars treemap and will be publishing a new Constellation of Time hopefully very soon (current up to The End).
Spoiler:

4! I made it to the first row this time round!
Tatiana wrote:Thanks, ZoomanSP.

I want to congratulate you, too, on the line "I'd rather lick a pricklymolp than thwap a leopard with a stick" which is probably my favorite line of the OTT.

Well, that one was actually my doing. Zooman's original line was "I'd rather lick a pricklymolp than thwap a big moleopard" which didn't quite sound right to me, so I changed it (and therefore also had to change the following line to rhyme).

Ah, good idea, twitters too, since I know some people favour that over facebook. I also tend to have my twitter more public and soon want to make more use of it for updating about my music and stuff, so here.

ETA: Happy 600th, Pelrigg!
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

ucim

Postby ucim » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:57 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:On the ending: I tend to agree with what NetWeasel and others have said - the reason it hit us so hard is because we weren't expecting it.
Speaking for myself, it's not that I wasn't expecting it. There's nothing wrong with unexpected endings. It's that it was too easy.

The story set us up for a heroic battle (against the frisky sea), and the characters themselves abandoned the quest at landfall. Cuegan knows the dangers of being stuck on the wrong patch of land. They admit that they don't know whether this is the wrong patch of land (and the rising sea will swallow them up). They don't know if the sea has finished rising. Yet they blithely abandon their only safety net and scamper off almost completely out of character at the first landfall. Megan would almost certainly not do that.

They act like it was a successful rescue (of the forty), but we know it might not be so, and we know they ought to know it might not be so.

eta: facebook: won't touch it. They have proven themselves on multiple occasions to not be trustworthy. But I'll be here, in the One True Thread.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:02 pm UTC

Two more things (for now)...

One: when posting comments during your rerun of the whole thing, please add where you're posting from -- location helps in context.

Two: A suggestion for the new ONGs -- top of the hour, post your ONE favorite frame of the whole thing. If there's already one up, wait for the next hour -- we've got Time. If your favorite frame has been posted within the last three or four hours, say so, and then post your second favorite. That will give us a couple to re-discuss per hour....

Starting next ONG. So, whaddaya think? Joe Biden Sandwich fest, anyone?
Last edited by NetWeasel on Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:04 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Remember waiting a half hour for one darkening pixel? Pepperidge Farms remembers...
Note To Blitzers:It is advisable NOT to go past page 1130 until you've seen up to frame 2900 (Geekwagon Numbering). A lot is happening, and really, you do not want to skip ahead at that point.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:03 pm UTC

I am back, sorry i commad for a while there.
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:06 pm UTC

Ooh! I'm finally in one of these!

And back to the soundtrack I go. I've just realized that it will be around 2 hours long; this may take some doing. :shock:
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, Vytron, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:14 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:More ketchup than I expected after only a few NPs...

Ah, good idea, twitters too, since I know some people favour that over facebook. I also tend to have my twitter more public and soon want to make more use of it for updating about my music and stuff, so here.

ETA: Happy 600th, Pelrigg!

Thanks For noticing yappobiscuits. In fact I really didn't notice it myself when I made that post.
I hope you noticed I found your sea shanty.

I'm not sure about twitter. I don't have a smart phone and I haven't learned twitter lingo at all.

It's great that all these other ways of keeping in touch are opening up, I just hope it doesn't lead to a fragmenting of this community/tribe. I mean, what happens if the twitter folks do one thing, the Facebook folks do something else, the steam folks go off on their sidetrack, leaving fewer and fewer of "us" on the OTT? I guess I'm saying, keep in touch here, please.

It is going kind of slow today isn't.
Last edited by pelrigg on Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:16 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:15 pm UTC

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:18 pm UTC

Chronos is still rebooting, I see. :)

I like the idea of re-posting random ONGs. (RONGs?)
But then I got all concerned that we would get off schedule (schedule, schedule) without newpixbot to help us. :(

Here's my twitter account, (real name attached if you're weirded out by that sort of thing).

And because we like charts, hey look, it's the OTT! Mustarding up xkcd fora statistics since March 2013H:
Spoiler:

Redundant:
Spoiler:

ForaStatistics.png

Keywords: Time chart graph statistics fora forums OTT OTC bump spike BGUM
redundant67.png
redundant67.png (179.23 KiB) Viewed 37328 times
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:22 pm UTC

Come on, ChronosDragon! *twiddles some dials and furiously presses some buttons* Work, dammit!
pelrigg wrote:I hope you noticed I found your sea shanty.

I did indeed, thanks!
It's great that all these other ways of keeping in touch are opening up, I just hope it doesn't lead to a fragmenting of this community/tribe. I mean, what happens if the twitter folks do one thing, the Facebook folks do something else, the steam folks go off on their sidetrack, leaving fewer and fewer of "us" on the OTT? I guess I'm saying, keep in touch here, please.

I don't think there's any need to worry about that, as long as the thread stays. It's just nice to have these other connections as backup.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:23 pm UTC

Looks like ChronosDragon is still having some trouble with wrapping his head around it.

Come on Chronos, we here for you, friend.

We've got *hugs* and draughts of the stronger stuff, if that will help.

Speaking of stronger stuff, I hope BytEfLUSh made through his coma-time okay. Hope his stronger stuff is a nice strong cup of coffee......

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”