1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

bmonk
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby bmonk » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:30 pm UTC

Jokern wrote:Even is this is the end of Time (part 1) it is not the end of the OTT! This gives us (heretic) time to study Time even more! Finish the OTVO? Rule out the few other dates in the milllena surrounding 13000s? Solving beanietalk? Finding out where they are now?
In other words, there's plenty to do!

And let's not forget us poor blitzers left in the dust, hoping to ketchup one day. . . .
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

Tatiana

Postby Tatiana » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:31 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:What I find sad is that I could be walking by other OTTers in the future and never know we'd crossed paths (unless we all decide to wear hats reading "Molpy Up" forever :) ). We met here for no clear reason, and had a great time. Off we go.

This is the main reason I want to connect on facebook with everyone I can. That way I can recognize you all if we ever cross paths again. That and I can't wait to see what the feeds of such a great group of interesting and intelligent people contain. Link to the new OTT fb group.
οττξЃs gotta OTT, so come to the facebook OTT group!

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:33 pm UTC

pelrigg wrote:It is going kind of slow today isn't.

It's a weekend. The OTT is always slower on weekends.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, Vytron, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

sford

Postby sford » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:35 pm UTC

Molpy ...
sad

And yet ...
satisfied.

Not being a very good OTTer, I hope I'm not repeating that which has already been said. (Even if it has, I'm not a frequent "me too" sinner, so allow me this once.)

Thank you, Randall, for a delightful story told in a way that may have never been done before. Similarities abound - ever hear of soap operas? - but once an hour for a third of a year? That's cool.

I also think it is cool that Randall knew his audience well enough to know that somebody (or, in our case, some troika) of his audience would archive the images right from the start. We even caught the shooting star! This exercise would have been almost pointless were it not for this audience.

And thanks to this wonderful group. I now have molpies to keep me company, blitzing to keep me occupied, and more cake than I could eat in a lifetime. (And even one serving of jambalaya.)
Last edited by sford on Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:36 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:35 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:
pelrigg wrote:It is going kind of slow today isn't.

It's a weekend. The OTT is always slower on weekends.

Plus, anything feels slower after the pace of the past few xips! It's nice not coming back to a 10-page ketchup...sort of...
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:36 pm UTC

MOLPY UP!!
Spoiler:

lmjb1964 wrote:
edo wrote:
Spoiler:
Changed. I'm sure no one will like this one either, but more than anything, I was trying to be helpful. There will be no cake for Minim, when she arrives, no one will welcome her. Is that what you want? They won't get the consolation we've been getting. No shoulder for them o cry on. Whatever. I guess it's just a stupid webcomic. I was deluding myself into thinking I was more. That this was more.
I won't promise that this is my last post, but it feels like it.

edo, dear edo, don't feel that way. It's because it's not just a webcomic that people have, and always had, strong feelings about it.
<snip>
I'll still be here for the blitzers when they get to the present! And I hope you will too! :)

I'll definitely still be here for the blitzers. With cupcakes and everything.

mscha wrote:So it wasn't a bad dream after all ... Image

Indeed not. :cry: I had planned on having a very awesomeful weekend in the Outside, but so far I've just been staring at my computer screen trying to fill a giant empty hole in my chest. That might sound dramatic anywhere else on the internet, but I know you guys are with me. Toomanyfeels.jpg I just still can't believe we don't have Cuegan to follow around and anticipate anymore.

mscha wrote:Oldpixbot, you say? Yes, I thought of that too, but I don't way to just set that up by myself. If we, as a group, decide we need a rerun of Time, I can set up a page that updates oldpixly, and an oldpixbot that posts the oldONG 10 minutes after oldONGtime if it hasn't been posted yet.

I like your lingo here, mscha. :P But honestly, I couldn't bear to see the oldONGs posted all the way through again. Each hour it'd just be a painful reminder...
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:37 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Chronos is still rebooting, I see. :)

I like the idea of re-posting random ONGs. (RONGs?)
But then I got all concerned that we would get off schedule (schedule, schedule) without newpixbot to help us. :(

Here's my twitter account, (real name attached if you're weirded out by that sort of thing).

And because we like charts, hey look, it's the OTT! Mustarding up xkcd fora statistics since March 2013H:
Spoiler:

Redundant:
Spoiler:

ForaStatistics.png

Keywords: Time chart graph statistics fora forums OTT OTC bump spike BGUM
redundant67.png

I guess it might be like last nip, when we were still trying to figure out the epilogue loop and that one frame repeated only to be replaced (I believe mscha said 8 minutes after the hour?) and it was noticed by 19 after the hour.
It could end up being something like that. Someone notices that the on-the-hour post hasn't been made and goes ahead and post one 20, 30, 40 minutes late, only to have several people try to post on the hour for the next one.
New thought while writing this. Could newpixbot be programed to see if an old ONG has been posted for a given hour and randomly post an Oldpic by, let's say, 25 after the hour? It would give slowpokes a chance to come up with one, but still keep the thread going...

Edit
I guess I was ninja'd by Valarya's re-posting of what mscha said earlier. ( I kinda remember him saying that, too.) However, this is sorta different, in a way, since the current suggestion is random posts, not just repeating the OTC in order.
Last edited by pelrigg on Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:43 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

EraObserver

Postby EraObserver » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:37 pm UTC

Ebonite wrote:I went back and re-watched them build the structure at the top of the platform. It appears to me that it may not necessarily be attached to the platform, but merely resting on top of it.

Do you think it's possible that it's a boat that can simply float away from the platform if the sea level rises high enough?

From 306. I may be suffering from nostalgia already- I just chose a page at random. But, considering the events of the last few newpics, I figured that the post deserved a "called it" recognition.
*Insert witty comment*

b2bomberkrh

Postby b2bomberkrh » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:42 pm UTC

Sciscitor wrote:The end happened during my ketchup and I went to coma about one newpix to early to see it. Thought that there has something happened when I molpied up and had 25 newpages!
I didn't post quite as much as I wanted to and also did not have the time to work on some of my projects, but - as a thank you to all - I've updated my avatars treemap and will be publishing a new Constellation of Time hopefully very soon (current up to The End).
So, without further ado here are the avatars links: riverish und seaish.

We're there, we're there, we're in the picture!!! Kermit (the dog) says thank you!

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:43 pm UTC

pelrigg wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:I like the idea of re-posting random ONGs. (RONGs?)
But then I got all concerned that we would get off schedule (schedule, schedule) without newpixbot to help us. :(

I guess it might be like last nip, when we were still trying to figure out the epilogue loop and that one frame repeated only to be replaced (I believe mscha said 8 minutes after the hour?) and it was noticed by 19 after the hour.
It could end up being something like that. Someone notices that the on-the-hour post hasn't been made and goes ahead and post one 20, 30, 40 minutes late, only to have several people try to post on the hour for the next one.
New thought while writing this. Could newpixbot be programed to see if an old ONG has been posted for a given hour and randomly post an Oldpic by, let's say, 25 after the hour? It would give slowpokes a chance to come up with one, but still keep the thread going...

I like this idea, because I miss seeing the ONGs sprinkled through the most recent newpages. One concern might be, though, that the people posting "random" newpix might have a tendency to favor certain frames (close-up on trebuchet, LaPetite's return, etc.). Perhaps if we had a list like mscha's to pick our rONGs from, and when a new rONG was posted on the OTT that newpix would be marked as "already posted" on the list? ...But that might be too complicated. Could be I'm just overthinking this waaaay too much. I miss Time. :(
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

bmonk
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Postby bmonk » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:46 pm UTC

Qalyar wrote:Regarding UKL, I agree that The Left Hand of Darkness is an important work, and it is definitely something that should be on the reading list of anyone with a passing interest in speculative fiction. Or feminism. Or, frankly, books. On the other hand, I've always struggled quite a bit with The Dispossessed. But my favorite of her works is a short story, even though I don't usually like short stories. "The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas" -- if you haven't read it, take the Time and do so.

I agree abut UKL--a wonderful writer. With that touch of melancholy.
But, even though I enjoy "The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas," I often think of it when we have a certain meal, and I remember "The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelets" . . .

BTW, am I Pope for a page? Do we still have them? A Blitzer Pope--is that heresy, like an Anti-pope?

However, I have no momentous decrees to decree. Except, perhaps, to decree that I will make no decrees.

Mourning the loss of molpys is acceptable.
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:49 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:On the ending: I tend to agree with what NetWeasel and others have said - the reason it hit us so hard is because we weren't expecting it. In traditional novel structure, there is the climax and then dénouement. The difference is that the audience knows it's dénouement, falling action. We didn't. We thought that the drifting through the Short Night was a continuation of the climax (the Sea is still rising!) and when Cuegan built the Last Sandcastle, then headed onto the new shore with some of the Forty, we viewed it as continuation of plot, not the last couple of pages. *sigh*

That's it, exactly. Our fault for getting so caught up we weren't paying attention. No, GLR's fault for writing such a gripping tale that we completely lost track of where we were. No, not a fault at all. It's right, and it does leave room for a sequel. I don't really expect that he'll use this format again, but I suspect we'll learn more Beanish somehow.

I said early on that I'm glad I was here for it when it happened, and that's still true. Others here are smarter or more creative. (Some of you are both.) I spent all of Time in the present. I think the longest time I was away was when my internet went down for 11+ hours. That was the only morning I missed ketching up, and I never was behind at the end of a day. I'm not sure what that says about me, but it speaks volumes about the OTT and the OTC.

I do have an OTTification I was working on. It isn't much, I thought I'd have more Time.
Spoiler:
Molpy, Molpy, Molpy! Pixelated Molpy!
Early in the morning we search each frame for thee.
Molpy, Molpy, Molpy, raptercat and squirpy
Pixelated molpy, we search each frame for thee.

Molpy, Molpy, Molpy! Though the darkness hide thee
If a single pixel change the molpy we will see.
Molpy, Molpy, Molpy, The OTTers all adore thee
Searching each and every frame your pixel change to see.

Molpy, Molpy, Molpy, Pixelated Molpy
Hiding in the pixel grass or in the pixel tree.
Molpy, Molpy, Molpy, bunnymolp or beesnake

Here's the original if you don't know it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBGTPh2Xn_o

cellocgw wrote:What I find sad is that I could be walking by other OTTers in the future and never know we'd crossed paths (unless we all decide to wear hats reading "Molpy Up" forever :) ). We met here for no clear reason, and had a great time. Off we go. ?

Shirts I want:
1. Front: First Frame, Back: Last Frame (After the bad words.)

2. Something like this
lucky.JPG
lucky.JPG (7.11 KiB) Viewed 14321 times

Clearly, we could do something like that, Blitzgirl has the art skills, as do others, so we could create our own version and not be infringing, but I'd really like it if Randall would put it in his store, with his art.

3. The meteor

bmonk wrote:
Jokern wrote:Even is this is the end of Time (part 1) it is not the end of the OTT! This gives us (heretic) time to study Time even more! Finish the OTVO? Rule out the few other dates in the milllena surrounding 13000s? Solving beanietalk? Finding out where they are now?

And let's not forget us poor blitzers left in the dust, hoping to ketchup one day. . . .

Nope, not forgetting you. We'll be here. Post your progress now and again.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:50 pm UTC

Neat ottification, SBN!

bmonk wrote:BTW, am I Pope for a page? Do we still have them? A Blitzer Pope--is that heresy, like an Anti-pope?

I think the papacy is a good tradition to continue - one of its purposes was to make each newpage more exciting while we Waited for it, and now we're Waiting harder than we ever have before...

And nope, not heresy - we've had blitzer and ketchup popes before. :)
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

HES

Postby HES » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:52 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:No facebook for me. Sorry, but I can't trust their policies, nor that they will not be made worse over time. I object to having my information commercialized.

It is what I have emboldened that is most dangerous. Sneaky, gradual changes. Our only hope is safety in numbers and in obscurity - I don't care if they sell my facebook information, because it's all useless.
That said, I'll be sticking to anonymity for the time being.

BlitzGirl wrote:
Spoiler:
pelrigg wrote:

I like this idea, because I miss seeing the ONGs sprinkled through the most recent newpages. One concern might be, though, that the people posting "random" newpix might have a tendency to favor certain frames (close-up on trebuchet, LaPetite's return, etc.). Perhaps if we had a list like mscha's to pick our rONGs from, and when a new rONG was posted on the OTT that newpix would be marked as "already posted" on the list? ...But that might be too complicated. Could be I'm just overthinking this waaaay too much.
I miss Time. :(

I think hourly might be a bit much. While there is plenty for us to be staying for, there's significantly less than before and an hourly rONG would become more than a "sprinkling"

BlitzGirl wrote:And nope, not heresy - we've had blitzer and ketchup popes before. :)
Not to mention newpixbotpope
He/Him/His Image

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:55 pm UTC

Still condimenting. Didn't expect it to be this 1ish.

FIRST POST THROW FORWARD! Welcome fireball... and what an awesomeful first post. :D
fireball wrote:Staring, mouth agape
Words "The End" bore into brain
This is my first post.
Spoiler:
Been lurking the OTT a long time....never managed to blitz, but often doing ketchup for several pages at a time. Very much enjoyed reading all the commentary and analysis....what a great community you all have wrought.

I was just thinking....what if GLR designed the final panel to be similar to Externalities [link denied], where the water level was tied to the number of NP in the OTT. That way, as the posts continue to roll in, our raft would continue to rise?

Just a thought.
Oh, as I was registering this account, one of my captcha words was "benease"....and I was thinking "Beanese? Wow, that entered the mainstream quick..."

@Tatiana - very clever OTTification! we don't get poetry filks very often.
@Sciscitor- :shock: ! Thanks for all the new data. This needle-pulled thing is definitely bigger than it looked.
@Zooman - thanks for submitting a VO for some of the Cueganites! Latent, yappo or I will make sure it gets added to the dropbox for the overall project. :)

@TWITTER people - mine is just my forum name, of course. Valarya

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:56 pm UTC

HES wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
Spoiler:
pelrigg wrote:

I like this idea, because I miss seeing the ONGs sprinkled through the most recent newpages. One concern might be, though, that the people posting "random" newpix might have a tendency to favor certain frames (close-up on trebuchet, LaPetite's return, etc.). Perhaps if we had a list like mscha's to pick our rONGs from, and when a new rONG was posted on the OTT that newpix would be marked as "already posted" on the list? ...But that might be too complicated. Could be I'm just overthinking this waaaay too much.
I miss Time. :(

I think hourly might be a bit much. While there is plenty for us to be staying for, there's significantly less than before and an hourly rONG would become more than a "sprinkling"

Good point. Maybe we could slow rONGbot (or whatever) waaaay down and have a Newpix-of-the-Dip?
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:57 pm UTC

Going through the OTC on Geekwagon, and...
Frame 2903 is mustarded. Mscha's 2898 (same frame) is fine.
Remember waiting a half hour for one darkening pixel? Pepperidge Farms remembers...
Note To Blitzers:It is advisable NOT to go past page 1130 until you've seen up to frame 2900 (Geekwagon Numbering). A lot is happening, and really, you do not want to skip ahead at that point.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:59 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:On the ending: I tend to agree with what NetWeasel and others have said - the reason it hit us so hard is because we weren't expecting it. In traditional novel structure, there is the climax and then dénouement. The difference is that the audience knows it's dénouement, falling action. We didn't. We thought that the drifting through the Short Night was a continuation of the climax (the Sea is still rising!) and when Cuegan built the Last Sandcastle, then headed onto the new shore with some of the Forty, we viewed it as continuation of plot, not the last couple of pages. *sigh*

That's it, exactly. Our fault for getting so caught up we weren't paying attention. No, GLR's fault for writing such a gripping tale that we completely lost track of where we were. No, not a fault at all. It's right, and it does leave room for a sequel. I don't really expect that he'll use this format again, but I suspect we'll learn more Beanish somehow.

I said early on that I'm glad I was here for it when it happened, and that's still true. Others here are smarter or more creative. (Some of you are both.) I spent all of Time in the present. I think the longest time I was away was when my internet went down for 11+ hours. That was the only morning I missed ketching up, and I never was behind at the end of a day. I'm not sure what that says about me, but it speaks volumes about the OTT and the OTC.

I do have an OTTification I was working on. It isn't much, I thought I'd have more Time.
Spoiler:

Here's the original if you don't know it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBGTPh2Xn_o

cellocgw wrote:What I find sad is that I could be walking by other OTTers in the future and never know we'd crossed paths (unless we all decide to wear hats reading "Molpy Up" forever :) ). We met here for no clear reason, and had a great time. Off we go. ?

Shirts I want:
1. Front: First Frame, Back: Last Frame (After the bad words.)

2. Something like this
lucky.JPG

Clearly, we could do something like that, Blitzgirl has the art skills, as do others, so we could create our own version and not be infringing, but I'd really like it if Randall would put it in his store, with his art.

3. The meteor

bmonk wrote:

Nope, not forgetting you. We'll be here. Post your progress now and again.

May I add my thanks for your ottification SBN. We've had heavy metal, folk, country ottifications, I think this is the first choir based one we've had. Amen...

On the t-shirt front: don't forget BlitzGirl's "OTT puts out Flame Wars" shield. And one for the Knights too.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:59 pm UTC

Another suggestion about posting oldpix. If you are reBlitzing and come across a frame that is especially meaningful to you, and you have something interesting to say about it, post it with your comments. Nevermind the time. It could be a nice surprise at anytime. Sometimes a conversation will get going. Flag it with something different from ...ONG, maybe REMEMBER WHEN...
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:00 pm UTC

Flashback ONG:
...seems to express current feelings...
Remember waiting a half hour for one darkening pixel? Pepperidge Farms remembers...
Note To Blitzers:It is advisable NOT to go past page 1130 until you've seen up to frame 2900 (Geekwagon Numbering). A lot is happening, and really, you do not want to skip ahead at that point.

b2bomberkrh

Postby b2bomberkrh » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:03 pm UTC

I have to go off for some real world stuff, but I wanted to add a quick couple of comments.

I like the idea of coloring the frames, I would take a crack at one myself.

I like the idea of an annotated book, but it would be a LOT of work for someone.

As far as the whole facebook, twitter, email, steam thing. Do you think, before it's too late and people start wandering off, we could maybe have a place on the wiki or something where we could maintain a list of the information people were inclined to share to stay in touch? It's really hard to sift back through the way new pages are still coming pretty fast and find all the people sharing their facebook links, or sharing their emails, or sharing their twitter, or steam. It would be nice to have one location we could go to get all of that as people choose to share it or not.

Lastly...hmmmm, France...Chateau D'if...in the fall...might be tempting even to some of us overseas.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:05 pm UTC

NetWeasel wrote:Flashback ONG:
Spoiler:

...seems to express current feelings...

Nice selection for the first Flashback.
Yeah, we're still trying to understand the OTC. And we don't want to go back to being anonymous lurkers.

Nice suggestion for the format, too. Make sure it's labeled with a frame number someplace and has a clear rONG title.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:06 pm UTC

Newbie-hunting! It's like molpy-hunting but...
no, I guess it isn't really like molpy-hunting...
Spoiler:
intheshax wrote:Count me among the delurkers who were here the whole time. I made my forum account to say this:

Timewaiters, OTTers, Loopists, popes, blitzers, everyone, it has been an honor and a privilege.

kepstin wrote:So, I made my first post here just a little while ago; I've gotten a little over 100 pages into a blitz, and I've been in a coma for the last little while. And now this. Its only been about a week for me, and I still feel like I was a part of something awesome. I still plan to finish my blitz, maybe by the time I'm through there will be something new.

kepstin wrote:I think we may have set a new record in number of duplicate ongs? However, I still haven't made it past page 107 in my blitz, so I can't say for sure :)

Did the molpy on the right go away? Or was it mustard?

RagingTyrant wrote:Is it too late to de-lurk?

Thank you all for the insight (the year was 13000!?!?!) and the entertainment, even if I was just a lurker.

And thank you Randal. This creation was completely inspiring. Once again, Bravo. I can only hope for a sequel of some form. (Please tell me this is the basis for a novel....)

kaiken1987 wrote:I'm not ready to give up yet!

3097 newpix that has to mean something! Right? That's C19 in hexadecimal. Does C19 mean anything? The Boeing C19? Maybe a section of Map Grid?

portemantho wrote:Nooooooooooooooooooooo—

pixeldigger wrote:Wow.
I've only posted one insignificant post before, and yet now feel my xkcd forum career is over . . . . .

xobmaps00052 wrote:Longtime lurker here, just gotta say, 7

Took things in stried at first, but reading the past 10 or so pages of fare wells and grief, starting to get misty eyed myself.

Thanks to all the OTT posters, you have meant as much to us lurkers as the OTC, maybe more.

LordEd wrote:As my first post, how about a false hope prediction?
EPILOGUE

ho666es wrote:I didn't expect it, but I enjoyed the journey :)

Nice to meet you all! I like seeing posts by our lurkers who have been following along with the OTC and OTT. Oh, and one more:

AdamAitch wrote:Delurking to say goodbye and thank you to everyone. I have been following since day one and this is a sad moment. If I had to pick an ideal time for the end it would have been around frame 861 when they have built their castle and are standing on it watching the sea start to wash it inevitably away. At the time that seemed a particularly poignant comment on our relationship with time as human beings and it still remains a high point for me.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Tatiana

Postby Tatiana » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:07 pm UTC

I really want to find out what happened to Lucky. I hope he was high enough that he made it out alive as the waters rose. I'm still looking at his body language on the attack frames, plus the fact that he went for the pack and not the tender stick-figure flesh underneath, and thinking he just wanted to be friends. Then Megan thwapped him with a stick would would definitely scare him into lashing out. Perhaps I have an inordinate fondness for meowlpies, but I'd like to think the whole Lucky episode was just a misunderstanding.

I'm afraid our pricklymolp friend is for Davy Jones' locker, though. :(

Megan needs to return the maps she borrowed, and we very much need more beanish text to help us decipher it. No fair posting an incomplete puzzle and forcing us to leave it unfinished!

It seems likely that the sea has yet to reach its new level, what with the various filling rates of the several basins that make up the totality of the Mediterranean. Will a further sea rise catch the Cueganites unprepared? Will the castleraft drift away since they don't seem to have tied it up or left anyone on board to watch it? These are the reasons the ending seemed abrupt to me, and why we should eventually have more. If the GLR doesn't supply them then I suppose we need fanfic to fill these gaps. What say ye, oh creative geniuses of the OTT?
οττξЃs gotta OTT, so come to the facebook OTT group!

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:10 pm UTC

SBN wrote:I do have an OTTification I was working on. It isn't much, I thought I'd have more Time.
Spoiler:

That's very ⁴, SBN!

About shirts, the GLR should probably just sell a set of 3094 of 'em. There'd be plenty of people (yes, including me) who wouldn't be able to resist. Image
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

marchlight

Postby marchlight » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:10 pm UTC

Well, I'm 20 NP back and posting blind, but I have to go to work in an hour and I couldn't wait.

The end? This is going to take a long time to process. I'm going to miss what we built in this thread. It's been a great few months with all of you, and I learned so much.

*hugs*

HES

Postby HES » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:11 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Good point. Maybe we could slow rONGbot (or whatever) waaaay down and have a Newpix-of-the-Dip?

Yeah, with an 8 year supply :D
He/Him/His Image

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:12 pm UTC

8 yips of newpix sounds wowterful! :D

marchlight wrote:Well, I'm 20 NP back and posting blind, but I have to go to work in an hour and I couldn't wait.

The end? This is going to take a long time to process. I'm going to miss what we built in this thread. It's been a great few months with all of you, and I learned so much.

*hugs*

*hugs back*
You're not saying goodbye, right?
*glares at*
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:13 pm UTC

SBN wrote:I do have an OTTification I was working on. It isn't much, I thought I'd have more Time.
Spoiler:

Bwahahaha, SBN you made my morning. Thank you. That was truly an effing epic filk. (I grew up southern baptist, unfortunately, so I was able to sing along. :P )

This is just for you: :mrgreen:

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:15 pm UTC

pelrigg wrote:Nice suggestion for the format, too. Make sure it's labeled with a frame number someplace and has a clear rONG title.

Mscha's viewer is good for that: It has a link to the proper code for posting with an imbedded link to the frame on the viewer... makes it real easy.
If you're using one of the other viewers, just jump over to mscha's at the same number and find the one you want -- it'll be within a few.

Laser Plumb

Postby Laser Plumb » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:16 pm UTC

I didn't want to be a lurker ... I had thought, early on, that I should jump in, & show my support ... but beyond "hello world", the OTT family provides such energy & depth ... alas, my seat in the audience was calling me back, saying "just be quiet & listen, you'll learn something" (something I don't do enough in the "outside" world) .... so, to lurking I returned .... & now, again, after a shot of ketchup, & "blindpost! now!"; de-lurking seems called for ... for there can never be enough appreciation , especially at transition... thank you to the OTT family, for creating a wise & curious OTT world ... & a limitless thank you to the Great Lord Randall, for creating the OTC world, & for the sharing the genius of xkcd w/ the "outside" world ... the adventure continues w/ an open paren ( ... "no bye for you!!" ....

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:19 pm UTC

Hello, Laser Plumb! :) Thanks for joining us! And for not saying goodbye!

NetWeasel wrote:
pelrigg wrote:Nice suggestion for the format, too. Make sure it's labeled with a frame number someplace and has a clear rONG title.

Mscha's viewer is good for that: It has a link to the proper code for posting with an imbedded link to the frame on the viewer... makes it real easy.
If you're using one of the other viewers, just jump over to mscha's at the same number and find the one you want -- it'll be within a few.

Actually, you can use geekwagon and aubronwood numbers on mscha's, too, like so:
http://xkcd.mscha.org/viewer/g2222
http://xkcd.mscha.org/viewer/a2222
http://xkcd.mscha.org/viewer/2222

Just type g before the number for geekwagon, a for aubronwood, and you will go straight to that newpix.

Edits for being silly with edits.
Last edited by BlitzGirl on Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:23 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

HES

Postby HES » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:22 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Actually, you can use geekwagon and aubronwood numbers on mscha's, too, like so:
http://xkcd.mscha.org/viewer/g2222
http://xkcd.mscha.org/viewer/a2222
http://xkcd.mscha.org/viewer/2222

Just type g before the number for geekwagon, a for aubronwood, and you will go straight to that newpix.

I have to say, mscha, your viewer is incredibly well though out
He/Him/His Image

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:22 pm UTC

NetWeasel wrote:Going through the OTC on Geekwagon, and...
Frame 2903 is mustarded. Mscha's 2898 (same frame) is fine.

Hmm, that's weird, according to my records, that frame was never demustarded – it's still the same as when it originally appeared.
What kind of mustard do you see? Geekwagon is barely loading for me (probably because of the link from xkcd.com/1190), but I don't see anything.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Eliram

Postby Eliram » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:23 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Thanks for the compliments on the Lucky picture, everyone! :)
Eliram wrote:- I thought about suggesting a new project:
The OTColored
where everyone can color a frame with artistic freedom. I imagine a system that allows people to reserve a frame, and to submit their interpretation to that frame in the same size as the OTC frames. This could create a WONDERFUL experience.
Anyone else thinks this mit be a good idea? Is there a chance we could color/recreate All the frames?

I like this idea - it's like those art installations where identical base statue/forms are handed out to a large group of artists, and then they are free to "decorate" them as they individually choose to. It might be a fun side-project, like the voice-over one we have going.

Yes. That's the kind of project that explains the image I had in my head.

I guess there should be a few images posted here before anyone should be asked to add some kind of automation for the process, I'll go and pick a frame now. Hmm, so many to choose from.
Come to think of it, I actually don't mind if there are several versions of the same frame... I think a wiki page will be enough to start with at this point. I'll go and set one up.
It's about time.

ucim

Postby ucim » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:24 pm UTC

HES wrote:I don't care if they sell my facebook information, because it's all useless.
On the contrary. It's probably useless to an individual, but that's not where the problem lies. Rather, the network of who you know, who you interact with, and in what ways, is a good indicator of how to influence you without your being aware of it. This is useful for Amazon, Century21, the New York Times, and potential employers.

Amazon could change the prices of its books for each person, individually, tailored to what it would be best for them for you to read.

Century21 could "build better neighborhoods" (and make more sales) by showing likeminded people properties in the same areas.

The New York Times could write their articles with each paragraph (or even each sentence) in several versions, and present a customized version of the article to you, under the same URL, without your being aware of it. When your friend goes to the same article, they get different text.

And of course employers could use the social graph to decide who to interview.

That is the downside. Not whether somebody two countries away finds my name.

As to posting old Ongs... I don't see why. The entire collection is out there. In fact, it's in here!

per old papal decree: When in Paso Robles some time ago, I took some pix of rather friendly squirpies... I tried to get closeups but they were so friendly and they usually got so close they were out of frame. Here's one of the better ones.

Jose
[size=85]edit: playing with the attachment thing. Here's what I figured out:
If you upload an attachment, place it inline, preview it, right click on the image to get the URL, put that URL inside img tags, you'll put the image where you want it, and there will be a redundant attachment. If you delete the attachment (from the post), the attachment remains on xkcd, the URL remains valid, and the image inside img tags remains visible and quotable, disappears from xkcd.

eta: The image itself disappeared. Now I'll try re-attaching a different squirpy (from the same trip), but not click place it inline. (It still shows up inline, but since it has a different file number, I have to change the file number in my img tag to get it to show up.

It's what I did here. Let me know if this did not work. My next experiment will be to use the file URL from the attachment in this post as the attachment for another post. If that works, then the "redundant spoilers" can all be stuffed in one massive archive post, and need not appear as redundancies in the actual post that uses it.
Attachments
IMG_9125_tn.jpg
A different squirpy from the one previously attached. Paso Robles, Sept 2011
IMG_9125_tn.jpg (44.75 KiB) Viewed 14009 times
Last edited by ucim on Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:52 pm UTC, edited 8 times in total.
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:24 pm UTC

NetWeasel wrote:

Hey, NetWeasel, I'm on NP1250 of my delayed ketchup and I just came across your "Wake Up Everybody" poster. Too kewl. I liked it. It has a good beat.

(Dang it, quoting "American Bandstand" now....)

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:26 pm UTC

NetWeasel wrote:

Or even better, to see Geekwagon frame 2903 or Aubron frame 2906 in my viewer, use http://xkcd.mscha.org/viewer/gw2903 (or http://xkcd.mscha.org/viewer/G2903) and http://xkcd.mscha.org/viewer/ba2906 (or http://xkcd.mscha.org/viewer/A2906).

(Ninja'd by BlitzGirl, but leaving it up for the extra options.)
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:29 pm UTC

Heh, I ninja'd mscha on his own viewer. Do I win a prize? :D
(I forgot about the BA and GW variants, though.)

ucim wrote:Amazon could change the prices of its books for each person, individually, tailored to what it would be best for them for you to read.

My grocery store does this already based on my membership card. Vaguely frightening, in a "Yay my lunchmeat is five cents cheaper than yours!" sort of way.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:30 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:MOLPY UP!!
Spoiler:

True Facts About Sloths
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”