1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Eliram

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Eliram » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:01 pm UTC

OTColored
I've added a wiki page: http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/OTColored
To start things, I added BlitzGirl's beautiful just-before-the-end version (I hope that's okay) and one of my own (With a subtle hue that might explain how I felt when I saw that frame).
403-mini.png

To the twitter users out there, I'm https://twitter.com/eliram (In case you don't mind that most of my posts are in Beanish)

Edit: Pope! :-) So my Papal Decree is for you all to go and be creative. :-)
Last edited by Eliram on Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:04 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
It's about time.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:02 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:I note for the record that the final few frames are still randomly cycling. It has not yet become fixed. Kind of nice that the implication is that the water has ceased to rise giving the tribe time for the escape.

Amen to that Charlie.
I've been checking the site every so often myself just to see that the hash number is still changing.

Edit
Hopefully, I didn't break something, I swear I submitted this, but it didn't post. At least I was going to try and "Edit" it into my last post, so I had "Copied" it for the "Pasteing".
Last edited by pelrigg on Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:05 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

shurikt

Postby shurikt » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:04 pm UTC

mscha wrote:Image/Image

I read that as a division problem.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:10 pm UTC

shurikt wrote:
mscha wrote:Image/Image

I read that as a division problem.

Image/Image = The Post-OTC OTT.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:11 pm UTC

edfel wrote:
mscha wrote:Update on the OTC:<snip> we now have the following: CDCBAECDAEDCBAEDCC <snip>

I don't think this looks completely random... A is only followed by E, B is only followed by A, E is only followed by C or D.... does it look like evenly distributed to all of you

PS: I know it's impossible to draw a final conclusion about randomness... but guessing is allowed :)

Problem is, it is impossible to determine “randomness” based on such a small sample. Humans very good at spotting patterns, which we can almost certainly find where there are none.
(Besides, the chance of getting CDCBAECDAEDCBAEDCC is just as big as getting AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA or ABCDEABCDEABCDEABC.)

Here's a random 18-character A-E string based on data from random.org (so supposedly truly random):
DADEDACBABACBACCCE
Does that look random to you? To me, definitely not.

Anyway, as Prof. Grumbles already noted, the past two hours, the oldpix did change again; so Time is not standing still (yet). The sequence is now: CDCBAECDAEDCBAEDCCDC.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:26 pm UTC

Eliram wrote:OTColored
I've added a wiki page: http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/OTColored

⁴!
I took the liberty to add my hallucinating berries frame that I made at the time; I think it qualifies. (Even though it's really a mashup, not a colorization...)
Spoiler:
Last edited by mscha on Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:27 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

ucim

Postby ucim » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:27 pm UTC

HES wrote:Are the things you buy getting cheaper (because they want you to buy them) or more expensive (because they know you're going to buy them)? If it's the first I can totally live with that.
You are changing what books you buy, what foods you eat, and where you live, based (in part) on their evaluation of what kind of person they think you are, and you don't know that's what you're doing.

ZoomanSP wrote:It did not work. Quote: "The selected attachment does not exist anymore."
Mustard!

As for oldpixbot, it seems like an artificial way to keep the community together. I think it will stay together for a long while anyway. I'd let it go, at least for a while. See what happens.

The old frames are all here, and at mscha, geekwagon, and aubronwood. Nothing stops anybody from discussing any frame of interest, but I'd say let it happen organically.

charlie_grumbles wrote:The problem is that, with your profile, they can feed you stuff to influence your opinions on things
Bingo! If they control what you read, they control what you think.

Amazing brainmap Scissitor! And now off to the outside for a bit. See you soon!

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:27 pm UTC

mscha wrote:Anyway, as Prof. Grumbles already noted, the past two hours, the oldpix did change again; so Time is not standing still (yet). The sequence is now: CDCBAECDAEDCBAEDCCDC.

Animation... :(
Spoiler:
end.gif
Go Minim go!

rvloon

Postby rvloon » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:30 pm UTC

Earthling on Mars wrote:-blindposting-

capnbuckle wrote:Forgive the non-blitzer...but was there ever an OTTification of "The Call", by Regina Spektor. Maybe 75% of the lyrics require no modification at all.

And yet, I hesitate to suggest it. I can barely fight back the tears listening to that song just the way it is...

That's what I'm working on. Please nobody ninja me.

Ms Spector just released a new album: You've got time.

Ronald
Spoiler:
I followed Time until The End and I cannot even buy a chirping T-shirt.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:31 pm UTC

It's interesting to me that he chose this method random selection of the last few frames to keep it going.
I view it as strong evidence that he really did hand draw all frames and did not use any auto-generating techniques like those I used in my sandcastles.

It would have been easy enough for him to add some variables to generate the waves via a random curve in the image for example, to guarantee that every new frame is different.

However, there are two reasons why he may have deliberately chosen to end this way rather than auto-generated frames (even if he had used auto-generation techniques earlier).

1) To leave us in no uncertain terms that this really is the end (if each frame was slightly different, we might remain suspicious that it might start up again.)
2) Indefinite new frames would eventually eat too much lot disk space if left on forever. This is a weak argument though as disk space is cheap and the amount of space the comic takes is not really that huge.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

ucim

Postby ucim » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:33 pm UTC

Just quoting my molpy:
ucim wrote:per old papal decree: When in Paso Robles some time ago, I took some pix of rather friendly squirpies... I tried to get closeups but they were so friendly and they usually got so close they were out of frame. Here's one of the better ones.

Jose

Hmmm.. I can see it while I'm logged in. Now what happens if I log out?

eta: Mustard!

Jose
Last edited by ucim on Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:37 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:36 pm UTC

*sadly watches mscha's Zorin_75's latest animation*
@mscha: I think your hallucinating berries frame definitely qualifies. :D

General question to everyone: What is the OTT accomplishment that you are most proud of? (Up until now, anyway, since there's plenty more OTT to go!) An ottification, coining a word, naming a character, writing a post that you thought was particularly good, participating in a scientific discussion, starting an OTT custom, writing a thorough wiki article, etc? I'm curious to see what everyone comes up with. :) It doesn't have to be the most "popular" thing you've done, it can be something small, just as long as you are proud of it!
Last edited by BlitzGirl on Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:11 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

IceIsNice

Postby IceIsNice » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:37 pm UTC

Sad today. Went on a long hike. It was baggish.

Saw lots of molpies: beesnakes, fluttermolpies, chirpies, squirpies, bunnimolps, some pet wolpies, and plenty of other adventurers (more than 40). No meowlpies.

I wonder when I'll stop thinking of the local wildlife in terms of "molpy" or its derivatives.

I hope it's a long time from now.
Hi! Probably.

rvloon

Postby rvloon » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:38 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:@BlitzGirl - brilliant and wowish as always, dear. I can't wait to see more of your xkcd OTTifications. Something to look forward to.

@Sciscitor - new brain constellation! 1ish and neat! :mrgreen:

@zorin_75 - love the wordle. Am I the only one who, every time she looks at one of these, wonders why 'penis' never shows up?

That's because the average penis never rises to the occasion when put on the spot.

Ronald
Spoiler:

rvloon

Postby rvloon » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:41 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:
And I see Molpies is now at 1,095. I did my part! I forgot how awesomeful it was. I mean, I knew it was awesomeful, but I forgot HOW awesomeful. (And can I just say how excited I am that "awesomeful/awfulsome" is still being used after I coined it a million NP before? It's nice to feel I made a lasting, concrete contribution to the thread. :) )

I am still quite proud of how riverish and seaish are still part of the de facto OTT vocabulary.

Ronald
Spoiler:

ucim

Postby ucim » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:41 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:General question to everyone: What is the OTT accomplishment that you are most proud of?
For me, I guess it's Acts of the Clerics. It started out as a pompous way to commemorate BlitzGirl, but grew into something else. It's also been a lot of fun to write, and it's not over yet. :)

I've really enjoyed all the other creative works and have found them quite inspiring. Never got to do much graphics wise, (except my "schpluck") but really enjoyed those, and also the various visualizations (the wordles for example - treeish, zorin_75!)

Jose

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:43 pm UTC

I had another crazy idea last night. Here it is in all it's crazy glory:

Step1: Create a web page with a file submit box that accepts .png files or .zip files (that will have a set of .png files in them hoepfully) and rejects all other file types. It just dumps them into a hidden folder that no one but a few admins can access. Upload is anonymous as it dosen't ask for uploaders name.
Step2: People make alternate stories in OTC form as a batch of frames that show something we missed in the OTC. They are in the same size and style as the OTC and they have a new name and sequence numbers starting from 1 in their file names like: spikey0001.png, spikey0002.png ... spikey0024.png. These are then ziped up and uploaded or uploaded one at a time.
Step3: An Admin checks the upload folder (which may be synced to a non public but shared dropbox folder) and without looking at to much detail of the png's make sure they are ok and in the right naming format and rename them if not and move them into a release queue folder. This folder would have subfolders for each set of frames with folder names to set the release order.
Step4: A website has a 1 hourly task that takes the next file in the release queue folder and moves it into the Released folder and displays it for an hour. Then next hour it gets the next one from the queue and repeats. If the queue is empty it displays nothing until it gets more content.
Step5: People can ONG the hourly image if there is one that hour and then comment on it and speculate on what will come next. compare it to previous frames for hidden molpyies. Try to guess who might have drawen it etc.
Step6: When a sequence finishes like we get to the end of spikey24.png someone else can carry on the story with skikey0024 - 0032 if they wanted or it could be the original artist. Or they can create a new side story of something else.

The cool thing about this is the author of the images are never known so its kind of like they just appear by magic. Maybe even GLR could have added them as we don't know who did right ;)

The stories can be set at any time or place in the OTC world. Could tell of what happened during the OTC we didn't get to see or before or after the OTC. What happened to the Molpies. What did LaPetite do. Also could be set 10 years later showing a grown up LaPetite showing baby Megball's how to build castles. Anything you guys can imagine really. Could even continue the story directly after the ending. Each story has a name at the start to identify it and so we know when the ONG has jumped to a new story because the last story ran out of ONG's for now.

Also would make a very simple viewer for the already released OTC stories folder. This could just be a folder listing at first but then a full next/previous viewer.

I've designed it so it is crazy simple to setup and maintain and only need 1-3 admins behind the scene moving the files into place a few times a day to keep it going.

That is my crazy idea anyway.

HES

Postby HES » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:44 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:General question to everyone: What is the OTT accomplishment that you are most proud of? (Up until now, anyway, since there's plenty more OTT to go!) An ottification, coining a word, naming a character, writing a post that you thought was particularly good, participating in a scientific discussion, starting an OTT custom, writing a thorough wiki article, etc? I'm curious to see what everyone comes up with. :) It doesn't have to be the most "popular" thing you've done, it can be something small, just as long as you are proud of it!

I would answer this, but I'm busy making a better one...
He/Him/His Image

Jimmbo

Re: 1190: The OTM?

Postby Jimmbo » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:03 pm UTC

I've been waiting and waiting for someone to propose what seems all but inevitable: a live-action recreation of the OTC. The OTM must be made, and thus it will (and it's something that could only be done after the EOT (end of Time), i.e. a nice quenching glass of lemonade to soothe timeless lemon-afflicted souls).

Needn't be subtle or lavish. Even the OTC is just stick figures, after all. Just get 'er done. And this sort of thing would greatly benefit from crowd-sourcing.

I'd cast Blitzgirl as Megan. Who'd be Cueball?

Eliram

Postby Eliram » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:04 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:It's interesting to me that he chose this method random selection of the last few frames to keep it going.
I view it as strong evidence that he really did hand draw all frames and did not use any auto-generating techniques like those I used in my sandcastles.

Did I tell you already that your sandcastle script is amazing?
Personally, I think that it was much simpler than that. After drawing so many frames, GLR finished with the "The End" frame. Then he though it might be nice to make a few more frames showing the raft, as sometimes he did after the characters left the frame before. Now he had a few frames, the next step is to keep them either rolling or shown in random. I would choose random too. Nice touch.

BlitzGirl wrote:*sadly watches mscha's latest animation*
Oh, and I think your hallucinating berries frame definitely qualifies. :D

General question to everyone: What is the OTT accomplishment that you are most proud of? (Up until now, anyway, since there's plenty more OTT to go!) An ottification, coining a word, naming a character, writing a post that you thought was particularly good, participating in a scientific discussion, starting an OTT custom, writing a thorough wiki article, etc? I'm curious to see what everyone comes up with. :) It doesn't have to be the most "popular" thing you've done, it can be something small, just as long as you are proud of it!

@mscha Loved the WILD berries. Thanks for adding them.

@BlitzGirl I think I am mostly proud in that I suggested the the first poster in each page will be Pope of Page. It caught on and stayed until the end, and every new page I saw a new Pope and smiled at the creativity.
I hope the OTColored project will have similar success.
Oh, and I am also pretty proud with my track of predictions. http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/Predictions.
The little things that make us happy...

Redundant
Spoiler:
3095.png
(just for fun)
Last edited by Eliram on Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:42 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
It's about time.

FullOfIt

Postby FullOfIt » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:08 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
ucim wrote:Now... when they gather your health information, social information, and demographics, and then alter the prices (differently from the prices they give your friends) in a manner that alters your diet, that's when it's creepy.

Jose

There is another effect that I worry about, perhaps more. News organizations can and do feed you stories they think will interest you. I got nothing but sports stories in the yahoo news site sidebar for quite a while since I had clicked on something about Venus Williams or the TdF. It took a long time to clear out.

The problem is that, with your profile, they can feed you stuff to influence your opinions on things. If they think you might vote for Grumbles but themselves prefer Blitz, they feed you only stories negative about Grumbles. It can be very subtle. If they know, for example that I like Venus they can let me know that Venus thinks Grumbles is a jerk. (Names changed to protect the innocent, of course.) I prefer to choose what I want to read, rather than have someone else, perhaps with a motive, to do so.

For a very long time I refused to get a Facebook account for these and other reasons. But a while ago I realized that I had basically zero contact with my siblings, so I got an account to at least hear what they were up to. But I make sure to use a separate browser for fb only, and nothing else. Also, I put nothing in my profile. I like to believe that I've at least minimized the negative aspects of it.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:08 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:*sadly watches Zorin75's latest animation*

FTFY. Image

BlitzGirl wrote:General question to everyone: What is the OTT accomplishment that you are most proud of? (Up until now, anyway, since there's plenty more OTT to go!) An ottification, coining a word, naming a character, writing a post that you thought was particularly good, participating in a scientific discussion, starting an OTT custom, writing a thorough wiki article, etc? I'm curious to see what everyone comes up with. :) It doesn't have to be the most "popular" thing you've done, it can be something small, just as long as you are proud of it!

Hmm, that's a hard question. (Not just hard to choose, but also to remember after all this Time. Image )
But I think it's my newpix/photo mashups. Mostly because it's stuff that is outside of my regular domain. (Writing scripts, newpixbot, newpix archives, etc., I do that in my sleep.)

But I don't think you have answered your own question yet...
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:11 pm UTC

Well, I finished schizo-blitzing. I finally made it to NP 1161 where I came into the shock of all shocks for this needle-pulled-thing. As I got closer to where I remember coming in, I started looking for a post that would sum up what I felt, and still feel, the best. There were BlitzGirl's ni ni ni *sniffle* posts and some others, but this one is the best (to me anyway),
This One, Right Here:
ZoomanSP wrote:Instead of perpetuity, OTC contained end.

Would wait again.

Yes, I'd do it over again. (Except I might join in the fun sooner.
And then there was this:
lmjb1964 wrote: <snip a bunch of quotes, the one she's referring to is from Rule110>
This. The comment was often made that the OTT sometimes seemed more important than the OTC. Well...it was, really. I mean, it's what made this comic special. It's what sucked up hours of my life (in a wonderful way!) When I was away from the OTT, I would genuinely miss you guys. And I for one would hope that it wouldn't just die out right away. What about the OTVO project? Is it no longer meaningful if Time has ended? I still want to hear it. And I want to hear taixzo's and yappo's soundtracks. And I have some things I was planning on working on next week when I finally had some free time. I still hope to post them.

Yes, I still want to see and hear the OTVO and yappo's and taixzo's soundtracks. Rule110's ottifications. And all the other mad genius things people had planned.

And in fact; I'm still going to Wait For It (this newstuff)

And, perhaps, GLR will do some sort of follow-up, like some strips in the Other Comic (I don't remember who said that. Sorry.)

--end scho-biltz for todip--
I'm still sticking around for the "rest" of todip, you can't get rid of me that easily*.

*dang it!

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

123Adz321

Postby 123Adz321 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:15 pm UTC

People of the future, I come from the newpage 1115, it has been a long time since I have posted, but upon hearing the news that time has (can it be true?!) ended, I have decided to engage in the Time honored tradition of blindposting and blitzing.

I shall be with you soon.
Dear Time travellers, I bring a gift from the future: A userscript for Chrome (Tampermonkey) or Firefox (Greasemonkey)
This will convert outside time to the One True Time of Newpix
- Courtesy of Pikrass
Spoiler:

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:21 pm UTC

Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:22 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:*sadly watches mscha's Zorin_75's latest animation*

I've already mentioned my "beanie" contributions. But I'm really proud of my "You're a molpy" manip. I got a bunch of positive reactions to it, including a ROFL. (If anyone's seen "Mr. Saturday Night" with Billy Crystal, there's a great description of how a comedian feels when he's got the audience in palm of his hand. That's how I felt with those reactions.)

Edit to add
Oh, hi Fluffy. nice of you to stop in.....
Last edited by pelrigg on Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:26 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:23 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
Spoiler:

Fluffy! :D You're a Fluffy! Yus you are, yus you are!

mscha wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:*sadly watches Zorin75's latest animation*

FTFY. Image
<snip>
But I don't think you have answered your own question yet...

Thanks for the fix :oops:
As for my own most-proud-of, I had to think about it, but I decided on the Boom de Yadas. They reflect my joy at being part of the community of the OTT, as well as the fun I've had following the OTC.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Ebonite

Postby Ebonite » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:25 pm UTC

I'm probably happiest with my song parodies. I wrote several ("The Waiting", "Now I've Had (100 Posts)", "Time After Time", "The End of All Time") but I think the one I had the most fun writing was “He Is Never Ever Ever Gonna End This Comic”.
Sir Ebonite, Lord of the Three Holes
"molpy molpy molpy molpy la la la"

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:31 pm UTC

So, I gave a second thought at the OTC and OTT books, and I realized it'll be impossible to write a book for each one. They belong together.

For now, I'd like each one of you to write your comments about a frame (or 15, assuming 200 active posters): what did you feel when you saw it, your view on what we discovered with it, i.e. anything about it. But not here; I'm thinking on adapting or writing an offline-capable viewer which would have space for the comments (and could send them later).

That's easy: just look at my avatar Image

Latent22 wrote:I had another crazy idea last night. Here it is in all it's crazy glory:
Spoiler:
Step1: Create a web page with a file submit box that accepts .png files or .zip files (that will have a set of .png files in them hoepfully) and rejects all other file types. It just dumps them into a hidden folder that no one but a few admins can access. Upload is anonymous as it dosen't ask for uploaders name.
Step2: People make alternate stories in OTC form as a batch of frames that show something we missed in the OTC. They are in the same size and style as the OTC and they have a new name and sequence numbers starting from 1 in their file names like: spikey0001.png, spikey0002.png ... spikey0024.png. These are then ziped up and uploaded or uploaded one at a time.
Step3: An Admin checks the upload folder (which may be synced to a non public but shared dropbox folder) and without looking at to much detail of the png's make sure they are ok and in the right naming format and rename them if not and move them into a release queue folder. This folder would have subfolders for each set of frames with folder names to set the release order.
Step4: A website has a 1 hourly task that takes the next file in the release queue folder and moves it into the Released folder and displays it for an hour. Then next hour it gets the next one from the queue and repeats. If the queue is empty it displays nothing until it gets more content.
Step5: People can ONG the hourly image if there is one that hour and then comment on it and speculate on what will come next. compare it to previous frames for hidden molpyies. Try to guess who might have drawen it etc.
Step6: When a sequence finishes like we get to the end of spikey24.png someone else can carry on the story with skikey0024 - 0032 if they wanted or it could be the original artist. Or they can create a new side story of something else.

The cool thing about this is the author of the images are never known so its kind of like they just appear by magic. Maybe even GLR could have added them as we don't know who did right ;)

The stories can be set at any time or place in the OTC world. Could tell of what happened during the OTC we didn't get to see or before or after the OTC. What happened to the Molpies. What did LaPetite do. Also could be set 10 years later showing a grown up LaPetite showing baby Megball's how to build castles. Anything you guys can imagine really. Could even continue the story directly after the ending. Each story has a name at the start to identify it and so we know when the ONG has jumped to a new story because the last story ran out of ONG's for now.

Also would make a very simple viewer for the already released OTC stories folder. This could just be a folder listing at first but then a full next/previous viewer.

I've designed it so it is crazy simple to setup and maintain and only need 1-3 admins behind the scene moving the files into place a few times a day to keep it going.

That is my crazy idea anyway.

I like it. Could even do it.
But how do we (viewers) distinguish between the different timelines?
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Eliram

Postby Eliram » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:32 pm UTC

mscha wrote:Hmm, that's a hard question. (Not just hard to choose, but also to remember after all this Time. Image )
But I think it's my newpix/photo mashups. Mostly because it's stuff that is outside of my regular domain. (Writing scripts, newpixbot, newpix archives, etc., I do that in my sleep.)

These are simply amazing. May I add more of them to the OTColored page?
It's about time.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:35 pm UTC

Oh, good question!

All my songs, for sure, but which one in particular... well, Molpies was clearly the most popular, but it's not what I'm most proud of personally because it's such a simple song that took very little time and effort. Boom de Yada maybe? ...Well, I'm actually thinking about writing an original song to commemorate the OTC and OTT, which will probably overtake that. Also quite proud that I managed to induce so many tears with Megan and Cue :P ...but, y'know, I think more than any single song in particular, or even songs at all, I'm most proud of the mark I've made on the community in general. I signed up just to post a song I thought was appropriate. I never thought I'd become one of the most regular and well-known posters around here. So yeah, I think... that :)

Also, here's a wowterfall for the colouring project (M-1932):
Spoiler:
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

FullOfIt

Postby FullOfIt » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:37 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:*sadly watches mscha's Zorin_75's latest animation*

My contribution to this thread consists mainly of sitting quietly in the back and listening to everyone else. It's what I do best. But on the other hand, it makes it easier to pick my best moment:
"Ketchup blitz." It didn't really catch on, but it at least got a manip from you.

Or wait, my biggest achievement was probably that I registered an account in the first place. I'm not a terribly social guy, so it was a conscious effort to try to connect with people. It succeeded somewhat, even though I've been mostly silent. I usually rather stay silent than say nothing, if you understand. And since I'm not in a time zone with high traffic most things had already been said whenever I logged on. But I've been here from the very beginning.

Tatiana

Postby Tatiana » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:43 pm UTC

FullOfIt wrote:Or wait, my biggest achievement was probably that I registered an account in the first place. I'm not a terribly social guy, so it was a conscious effort to try to connect with people. It succeeded somewhat, even though I've been mostly silent. I usually rather stay silent than say nothing, if you understand. And since I'm not in a time zone with high traffic most things had already been said whenever I logged on. But I've been here from the very beginning.

I love getting up at odd times in the middle of the night or early AM simply because I feel more comfortable posting when not many people are on. It also gives me the time to fix all the mustard which I always find in my posts after the Submit button is pushed, but which has hidden itself away invisibly through any number of Preview button-pushes, before anyone reads or quotes it.
οττξЃs gotta OTT, so come to the facebook OTT group!

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:49 pm UTC

Holy Croce
Spoiler:

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:50 pm UTC

FullOfIt wrote:My contribution to this thread consists mainly of sitting quietly in the back and listening to everyone else. It's what I do best. But on the other hand, it makes it easier to pick my best moment:
"Ketchup blitz." It didn't really catch on, but it at least got a manip from you.

Hey, that's right! It also got a song ottification by StratPlayer. :D

I'm happy you created an account to join us :) and even if you prefer to watch rather than jump in to every discussion, I'm happy you find the rest of us entertaining. :wink:
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:52 pm UTC

Eliram wrote:
mscha wrote:Hmm, that's a hard question. (Not just hard to choose, but also to remember after all this Time. Image )

These are simply amazing. May I add more of them to the OTColored page?

Feel free. But IMO, most of them don't really qualify, because they're not simply colorizations, but photo manips. The hallucination one is too, but at least that one looks like it was colored in.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:53 pm UTC

Flado wrote:
Spoiler:
Angelastic, way back on NP 818, wrote:
fhorn wrote:(Stopped studying math in HS when it conflicted with Music Theory. Can we discuss the Circle of Fifths instead, mebbe?

I studied maths in university and the quickest way to make me feel like an illiterate idiot is to use a lot of music theory terms. I only know what was in GEB, Euler's letters to a princess, Leon Harkleroad's 'The Math Behind the Music', and Vi Hart's videos, and I didn't completely understand those since I still only had a vague hypothesis (involving group theory) about what the apparently-too-basic-to-explain terms meant. But just recently I listened to an introductory music theory audiobook, the kind that actually goes some way towards explaining the words used to explain the most basic musical concepts, and I realised that (as I had suspected) all these fancy terms defined in terms of each other, they're just mathematics. With a whole lot of ordinal numbers that sound like they're fractions but have nothing to do with the actual ratios of frequencies, just to throw us off the trail. And you know what? The circle of fifths is just a cyclic group of order 12 (involving multiples of approximately 4/3), described in an overcomplicated way. You hear me? You're doing maths, you are! You're just expressing the beauty of mathematics in sound!

And here's the closing parenthesis I snipped. )

I am having the exact same problems with music theory. Do you think you could tell me the name of that audiobook? I love cyclic groups. I prefer the ones lacking divisors of zero, though 8-)

Blindposting! I don't usually do that, but after three days off work (when you'd expect me to have loads of time to read the OTT, but I was instead pa[ni]cking) I'm about 30NP behind. Still, I doubt anyone would have already answered this particular question. It was actually the audio version of this course, which seems like the kind of thing you see advertised in Readers Digest that looks like a scam (and I suspect the list price is only there so people will think they're getting a good deal when it's on sale), but I found it quite useful at pulling my musical knowledge from kilometres below sea level to a shrinking island halfway to zero. The guy teaching the course is hilariously emphatic𝄇. I found that half the entertainment of the course was just this guy being so dramatic about everything, but also I learnt quite a lot of things. He doesn't actually mention group theory but by the time he got to the circle of fifths, I understood the words he was using to describe it, and I could see the connection easily.

𝄇One of the more negative reviews starts off "This course is for music experts but more than that mr Greenberg's delivery makes me so nervous every time i try to listen.This is a course about music, you are not reporting a sport game or a scene of a murder."
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:57 pm UTC

*gasps* Poor Angelastic! She doesn't know yet! :(
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Kazza3

Postby Kazza3 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:59 pm UTC

Blindpost: NP1194

On the subject of newbies: I can certainly relate to the feeling of frustration when there a bunch of people who come in and ask questions that have been answered a million times (we haven't seen this bit of terrain before/how do we know they're in the future/how do we know where they are/have you seen the javascript?), but although mscha and the other regular posters discussing this problem all lamented that they don't go and read the wiki, or earlier posts/search, it's at least as much our fault.
While ketchupping, I've seen plenty of newposters coming in with questions, and very, very rarely have I seen anyone direct them to the wiki- maybe only twice. Most people just answer their questions (often in a short and not entirely satisfactory way because they're frustrated, leading to more questions). The wiki isn't mentioned all that often, and if no-one's directing them there, we can't expect them to know about it.

Also, what in Randall's name kind of hellish metamorphosis is ChronosDragon undergoing?

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:03 pm UTC

rONG for old Time's sake:

Last edited by BlitzGirl on Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:05 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”