1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

adnapemit

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby adnapemit » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:57 pm UTC

SPACKlick wrote:
I've got nothing, it could be random, but the fact that 3 times we get C then C confuses me...

Isn't it obvious. It the answer to a multiple choice exam( or maybe ALL multiple choice exams).

Edit:Oh wow ..Pope decree(only if you want to though): more coloured frames because they are 4
Last edited by adnapemit on Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:01 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Empress adnapemit "Nancy" "Time Panda"
[adnapemit|timepanda]
Does anyone actually read signatures?

akacat

Postby akacat » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:58 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:My first contribution to the coloring in thing (800)

ETA: full size original

Kieryn, this is gorgeous! How did you do it? Or wait, maybe I don't want to know how. Maybe it should be a mystery...

Can someone remind me where the colored OTC frames are being referenced/stored? Nevermind, I found it! I'd like to try a few, but I don't want to step on anyone's toes.

ETA: I've achieved ketchup!! Let's see if I can stay that way. :D :D :D
Last edited by akacat on Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:05 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:14 pm UTC

Febrion wrote:Then someone checks the alt-text:
Spoiler:
Just kidding guys! You really think I'd do another one of these???
LOL! That would be a good one!

(and then, every day, at a random time, it does change.)

@Latent22 - re: long.mp4: Very neet animation there! Much better than I had imagined! This is going to be fabulous!

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

Moose Anus

Postby Moose Anus » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:18 pm UTC

SPACKlick wrote:
Spoiler:
mscha wrote:Hi y'all,

Quick heads-up that I probably won't be in the OTT today and tomorrow. (Yes, I think I'm switching to formerly heretical time units now that “newpix” is no longer meaningful.)
I really, really need to ketchup on my Outside responsibilities, and somehow, when I try to combine ketchups, I end up consuming only the One True one...

Don't worry, I'm not going anywhere. (BlitzGirl, what are you doing with those ropes?? No really, not necessary.)

The first message in my OTT ketchup queue is a wowterful OneTrueRhymingScheme poem (Time Has Flown), and there have been many other ⁴ ones.
That makes it extra painful to have to tell you this:the OTT has stopped looping, it seems. We now have the following pattern, post-np3094:

Code: Select all

CDCBAECDAEDCBAEDCCDCBABA
EDCBAECDAEDCBAEDCCDCBABA
EDCBAECDAEDCBAEDCCDCBADB
DEBCEADECACD

That is, since 00:00 UTC (8 pm RDT), the pattern has been broken. Too early to tell if there's a new one.
(No reason to stop rhyming, though. I'd stick with the old pattern until a new one (if any) has been established.)

Talk to y'all in a few days.
Molpy down.

Hmm, seems too patterned to be random, seems to random to be a pattern. GLR is messing with us,
the order of the pictures from 21:00 UTC is 01234232104230432104322321010432104230432104322321010432104230432104322321031341240342023
Spoiler:
So far their have been 17 A/0s, 14 B/1s, 23 c/2s, 20 D/3s, 15 E/4s
We have never gone from A to A, B to B, D to D, E to E, or from B to E
There have only been 33 of the possible 125 triplets (of which we could have had 87 so far).

Pairs AE, BA and DC account for nearly 40% of pairs...

I've got nothing, it could be random, but the fact that 3 times we get C then C confuses me...

Spoiler:
eot.png
Lemonade? ...Aww, ok.

cameroda

Postby cameroda » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:18 pm UTC

Nice note in the Washington Post today-

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2013/07/30/a-brief-history-of-time-the-xkcd-comic/?hpid=z11

With links for Mscha and Aubronwood!

vvn

Postby vvn » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:23 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
Zorin_75 wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:The Geekwagon link was added and the title-text changed on newpix m3089:
Spoiler:

Aargh, how can you just post the frame-that-must-not-be-named like that :shock: :cry:

Fear of a frame only increases fear of The End itself.

What we need is exposure therapy!

We just need to add some color to that frame.
Spoiler:

RIIR:
Spoiler:
theend.png

Ebonite

Postby Ebonite » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:30 pm UTC

cameroda wrote:Nice note in the Washington Post today-

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2013/07/30/a-brief-history-of-time-the-xkcd-comic/?hpid=z11

Funny how the article declares that the names of the two characters in the strip are Cueball and Megan!
Sir Ebonite, Lord of the Three Holes
"molpy molpy molpy molpy la la la"

azule
Saved

Blind-Post NP1164

Postby azule » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:31 pm UTC

@yappobiscuits - nice art of cue and meg with bags. hah, I can't not think of those as body parts (pregnant belly, for instance). Stick figures are weird. :)

mscha wrote:When Cuegan started building a sandcastle on the beach, did He already know where it was taking place?

Thinking about it, looking back, it very well seems planned from the beginning. The sand castle not being made of sand, but of salt, was apparent, but we could not wrap our heads around it. The side 2 and half D view was perplexing but we moved on. We shouldn't have. These mysteries were clues that we dismissed.

The view was to obscure the fact that they lived below sea level. With a background (not just an artistic complication) it would have been spoiled long ago. As they climbed up...where's the moon? Maybe behind France (if that makes sense). I guess the question is: do we always see straight on, or is that another allusion?

Regardless: the clues tell us this was all planned from the start. But like any story: insignificant parts (a blade of grass) exist. It's up to us to figure out if it's part of the larger (planned out) story. For me, the main parts were planned: Salt castle, rising sea, LaPetite/Hill (the hill actually being the country formerly known as France) People/Frenchies, climb in elevation, wow and neat trees, stars, etc. The language, planned, but probably just to show the future evolution. As others have said, the meowlpy attack was a catalyst for them to move forward. Maybe the other molpies are an emotional tie to the destruction of the flood (as we hadn't seen the Cuegan 38 it wouldn't matter too much with them).

I guess the question might be: what in the OTC is definitely out of place? That would tell us if anything was made up as he went.

taixzo wrote:
azule wrote:Additionally the elevation is probably higher than we calculated. Rivers flow down but only the sea is at "sea level".

Oh, if only you knew what we knew now...

Haha! and now I know. It did feel a bit naive... lol.

Edit: to correct pronoun. I think.
Last edited by azule on Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:29 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

Ace

Postby Ace » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:35 pm UTC

Wait More With Feeling

Part 1: Posting Through The Madness

Note: I won't be doing I've Got a Theory. Instead see Rule110's excellent version here!

-

The Mustard

MAN:
He took the mustard out!

CHORUS:
He took the mustard out!

I can't really claim credit for this one. (Ninja'd by the original version, SPACKlick, and CasCat.)

-

Under Your Thread

Spoiler:
EX-LURKER:
I lived my life in shadow
Never the sun on my face
It didn't seem so sad, though
I figured that was my place
Now I'm bathed in light
Something just isn't right

I'm under your thread
How else could it be
Anyone would notice me?
It's magic, I can tell
How you've set me free
Brought me out so easily

I saw a world analysed
Pixels and charts in the air
I always took for granted
I was the only one there
But your forum shone
Brighter than any of I've known.

I'm under your thread
Nothing I can do
You just took my soul with you
You worked your charts so well
Finally, I knew
Everything I dreamed was true
You made me believe...

OTTers:
Ahhhh, ahhh, ahhh. (etc...)

EX-LURKER:
The stars to the night
I can see you theorise
I'm under your thread
Posting like the sea
Drawn to you so helplessly
I post with every frame
Lost in seaish posts
Peering at baobab trees
You make me complete!
You make me complete
You make me complete

Based on 'Under Your Spell' from Once More With Feeling.
Last edited by Ace on Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:03 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Wait for it.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:42 pm UTC

Redundant Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Come see the violence inherent in the system!.png

It's only a redundant image.png
It's only a redundant image.png (86.39 KiB) Viewed 17896 times

ETA: A smurfing typo in the image! Mustard! Also, I realize that Dennis and his woman did not say the quotes above. None of their quotes seemed to work. So, I went for something that brought the Holy Grail to mind without being constrained by accuracy.
Last edited by Whizbang on Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:11 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

NoMouse

Re: Blind-Post NP1164

Postby NoMouse » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:42 pm UTC

azule wrote:
Spoiler:
@yappobiscuits - nice art of cue and meg with bags. hah, I can't not think of those as body parts (pregnant belly, for instance). Stick figures are weird. :)
mscha wrote:When Cuegan started building a sandcastle on the beach, did He already know where it was taking place?

Thinking about it, looking back, it very well seems planned from the beginning.
Spoiler:
The sand castle not being made of sand, but of salt, was apparent, but we could not wrap our heads around it. The side 2 and half D view was perplexing but we moved on. We shouldn't have. These mysteries were clues that we dismissed.

The view was to obscure the fact that they lived below sea level. With a background (not just an artistic complication) it would have been spoiled long ago. As they climbed up...where's the moon? Maybe behind France (if that makes sense). I guess the question is: do we always see straight on, or is that another allusion?

Regardless: the clues tell us this was all planned from the start. But like any story: insignificant parts (a blade of grass) exist. It's up to us to figure out if it's part of the larger (planned out) story. For me, the main parts were planned: Salt castle, rising sea, LaPetite/Hill (the hill actually being the country formerly known as France) People/Frenchies, climb in elevation, wow and neat trees, stars, etc. The language, planned, but probably just to show the future evolution. As others have said, the meowlpy attack was a catalyst for them to move forward. Maybe the other molpies are an emotional tie to the destruction of the flood (as we hadn't seen the Cuegan 38 it wouldn't matter too much with them).

I guess the question might be: what in the OTC is definitely out of place? That would tell us if anything was made up as we went.
taixzo wrote:
Spoiler:
azule wrote:Additionally the elevation is probably higher than we calculated. Rivers flow down but only the sea is at "sea level".

Spoiler:
Haha! and now I know. It did feel a bit naive... lol.

ETA: Anyway, finally ketchuped.

I'm sooo glad GLR made that blag-post. Sadness would be still here if he didn't. He even answered our most burning questions. Some are still left but that's totally fine, I think.
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

neopifex

Postby neopifex » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:51 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
Spoiler:
AluisioASG wrote:BlitzGirl, do you still have a bigger version of “Under the Same Stars”? I'd love to have it as a wallpaper.
(You have no idea how much time ― and bandwidth ― it took me to find it.)

Sadly, no higher-res version exists of that one - it was actually drawn at the 670x500 size. The best I can offer is an embiggening of the same image:

UnderTheSameStarsEmbiggened.png

Eee! I hadn't seen this one before. So beautiful! BlitzGirl, you've got some crazy awesome talents. :)
C'mon, let's see what's through here!

neopifex

Postby neopifex » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:00 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Because HES gave me the idea, I did a companion to my OTColored ColorBazooka (I call this one the ReverseBazooka):
Spoiler:
Original newpix (m3031):

Colored version:
Keywords: BGUM color OTColored newpix frame manip colored
It's LaPetite's triumphant return, of course! This newpix is designed to compliment the other one I did.
The background clouds are identical, but mirrored and done in cooler hues vs. the warm ones I used before.
(For anyone who'd like them, Large and Wallpaper sizes.)

OMR. OMR OMR OMR. I know I'm late to the party on this one, but that... that just blew my mind. Holy molpy, I'm having a hard time just putting words together. "Treeish" just doesn't suffice.

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:10 pm UTC

Also, some have said somewhere, that one of the unanswered questions is Antares - if it's explosion caused the apocalypse that led to the world seen in Time.

I'm pretty sure Antares was just another hint in case we weren't able to determine the date by measuring the relative positions of stars. Missing Antares is much more likely to be discovered even by not so geeky people just by comparing the Time-sky with current star maps. Thus, people could at least deduce that it's set in the future, even though not knowing how far. Why am I so sure about this? Antares is 550 light years away[1] which is too far to have any noticeable effects on Earth's biosphere when he goes supernova.[2]
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

neopifex

Postby neopifex » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:10 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:Attaching an OTColorization submission from a de-lurker: superluminal
Spoiler:
He hasn't reached 5 posts yet and therefore cannot post images or links and asked, over on the fb group, for someone to share this. What a 4 ottification, superluminal! :D

REDUNDANT SPOILER
[spoiler]Image
superluminal colorization.jpg

redundakitty.jpg
[/spoiler]

Wow! Very nicely done, superluminal!

neopifex

Postby neopifex » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:14 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:
Spoiler:

Redundant Spoiler:
[spoiler]Image
Curgan Training.png

Great Redundant Tiger.png
[/spoiler]

That cracked me up enough that coworkers started giving me funny looks. RedundaTiger was especially hilarious :mrgreen:

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:17 pm UTC

NoMouse wrote:Also, some have said somewhere, that one of the unanswered questions is Antares - if it's explosion caused the apocalypse that led to the world seen in Time.

I'm pretty sure Antares was just another hint in case we weren't able to determine the date by measuring the relative positions of stars. Missing Antares is much more likely to be discovered even by not so geeky people just by comparing the Time-sky with current star maps. Thus, people could at least deduce that it's set in the future, even though not knowing how far. Why am I so sure about this? Antares is 550 light years away[1] which is too far to have any noticeable effects on Earth's biosphere when he goes supernova.[2]

Doesn't mean it wouldn't look really cool.

In kind of it's all related news, this came out on vsauce this weekend.

Something makes me feel like Michael was also following Time...
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:18 pm UTC

Thanks. I thought she captured it pretty well. So Andrea Peterson, are you a timewaiter? If so, reveal yourself.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:28 pm UTC

Thud.
Nothing to see here. Move along.
Last edited by SBN on Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:38 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

Febrion

Postby Febrion » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:33 pm UTC

Almost done with my ketchup, but this made me chuckle a bit...

ucim wrote:<snip>
Something amusing - from another thread:
SexyTalon wrote:They scare me. I have no idea what they're going to do now that it's over.

<snip>
Jose
Temporal Knight Sir Junction, Lord of the Sawtooth Snap
Time flies like a River, sand flies like a Trebuchét

svenman

Postby svenman » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:37 pm UTC

Blindposting from page 1286...

BlitzGirl wrote:
Exodies wrote:On the subject of posts, I'd like to encourage y'all to post in whatever language you feel like. Of course you are more likely to be understood in English, but understanding is overrated; variety is more important.
Moïn. Glëcklech Sonndeg Blitzers.

It's all Beanish to me. Image

I think that was Luxembeanish. :)
Apart from Forum Games, mostly active on the One True Thread.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may be useful.

Addams thanks all of us who helped. Her life is much better now.

Randallspeed to all blitzers on the One True Thread!

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:48 pm UTC

Flado wrote:
Exodies wrote:The best computer game is a compiler.

Aaand, he's back%!
--
% on my signature, that is :-)

{P1161}
:) here's another one for you.
Oh, I can't think of one.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

Exodies

Re: Run?

Postby Exodies » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:55 pm UTC

nerdsniped wrote:I need a reality check here (if the term applies to the OTC)... is RUN actually a good plan, or are Cuegan just panicing? Are we going to see "pant, pant, wheeze" in a few frames? First off, running does not seem like a sustainable pace, especially at altitude and with a healing leg. Second, you'd think it would have been worth at least a few minutes to fine-tune their supplies and consult with Rosetta and/or each other as to route choice.

Although, hmm, I guess it is possible to run 100 miles in 24 hours. How far have Cuegan come, again?

{P1162}
They will prolly only run to the telescope tower to watch the 40, not waving, but drowning.

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:56 pm UTC

Blitz progress: 825 of 1305
Still climbing, np 2011

So... I semi-unintentionally took 2 full wips off of reading the OTT so that I could pack and move my stuff into storage, and then physically move myself and a few belongings twice, and in that span there have been about 230NP added. So, I think I shall enter skim-Blitz mode, considering that is likely to be the only way I will ever ketchup.

Anyway, I stumbled across this, and therefore had to do some analysis on it:

@mscha, RE: Collatz sequences (NP 823):
Spoiler:
mscha wrote:
kenmelken wrote:Oh, and @mscha: I enjoyed your Fibonacci gif. Made me wonder what other "Math Digest" versions of Time could be created. Perfect squares and cubes? Multiples of certain bases? OOH! What about various Collatz conjecture arrangements (which would, of course, jump forward and back in Time before reaching frame one)?

Hmm, that might be tricky...
If you start with frame 2000, you continue with 1000, 500, 250, 125, so that seems promising. But a little while later, you end up at frame 9232 (which we won't have for quite a while).
(...)
The highest frame number we can reach without exceeding 2006 in the sequence, is 1992, starting on ... 1992.
Here's an animation using that sequence in reverse, with the following frames: 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 5, 10, 20, 40, 13, 26, 52, 17, 34, 11, 22, 44, 88, 29, 58, 19, 38, 76, 152, 304, 101, 202, 404, 808, 269, 538, 179, 358, 119, 238, 476, 952, 317, 634, 211, 422, 844, 281, 562, 187, 374, 748, 249, 498, 996, 1992.
(Background.)

I wrote up a program to calculate how the maximum allowable starting frame changes as you progress through Time, and was somewhat surprised by the results. It jumps most frequently by 4 or 8 frames, and seemingly always by a multiple of 4. The largest jump to present-date (frame 3181) is 56, which, coincidentally, falls right where I currently am in Time, jumping from 1992 to 2048, and duplicated by a jump from 3080 to 3136.

In the present, you could make a Collatz frame sequence starting at 3176, which would take you through the following frames: 3176, 1588, 794, 397, 1192, 596, 298, 149, 448, 224, 112, 56, 28, 14, 7, 22, 11, 34, 17, 52, 26, 13, 40, 20, 10, 5, 16, 8, 4, 2, 1. The next one that you will come to in the present will be 3200, which would be the same length as 3176.

The next thing I want to do is to figure out the longest such sequence of frames that can be shown, and how that changes with the passing of Time. But, alas, not enough time in the xip right now to attempt that one. Maybe tomorrow, should be easier than the one I just wrote.
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

HES

Postby HES » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:57 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:I believe that by the next Madness the standard forum filters will have no effect upon us.

You're right - we'll probably just adopt them into the standard OTTish language.

As I read through this needle-pulled-thing, haven't we already? (I also approve of the assumption that we will still be around in a year, though the basement might be a little full)
Maybe the mods should apply our filters to the rest of the fora :twisted:

BlitzGirl wrote:Because HES gave me the idea, I did a companion to my OTColored ColorBazooka (I call this one the ReverseBazooka):

:shock: At the start of my ketchup, you posted the embiggened lucky so I did this:
Spoiler:

But now;
Spoiler:

I might have to have set up a rotation of the three of them... too much awesome to choose!
ETA
Spoiler:
This will help curb my OTC withdrawal symptoms for a while
/ETA

Thanks Blitzgirl!

What-if wrote:Ah, the Just Cause 2 scenario.

Totally RELATED, as I started playing that recently.
Last edited by HES on Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:06 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
He/Him/His Image

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:00 pm UTC

I think I just found the reason for the 60 minute newpix-hertz.

Spoiler:

Ace

Postby Ace » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:01 pm UTC

Wait More With Feeling

Part 1: Posting Through The Madness

Not going to do I've Got a Theory. Instead see Rule110's excellent version here.

Part 2: The Mustard, Under Your Thread

-

I'll Never Blitz

Spoiler:
OTTer (Speaking):
Well, I can do a ketchup, I've almost got that...

BLITZER:
This is the thread that I intend to blitz all of
Isn't it fine?
My claim to fame was to post text, by wall of
Long posts were mine!

But I'm out of the biz
The name I made, I'll trade for his
The only trouble is...
I'll never blitz.

OTTer:
She is the one
She's such wonderful fun
Such passion and grace
Warm in the night when I'm reading her posts - -
Seaish! Posts seaish!

I'll never let her go
The thread we've known can only grow
There's just one thing that...
No. I'll never blitz.

BOTH:
Cause there's nothing to blitz.

BLITZER:
New pages!

OTTer:
More pages!

BLITZER:
Say "ketchup" and he freezes

OTTer:
She posts these redundakitties I can't describe

BLITZER:
I post; he breezes

OTTer:
She doesn't know what happened

BLITZer:
His ONG has spoilers from posting time.png!

BOTH:
The vibe gets kind of scary

OTTer:
Like she thinks I'm ordinary

BLITZER:
Like it's all just temporary

OTTer:
Like her posts are kind of seaish

BOTH:
But it's all very well
Cause, chirp knows, I'll never blitz!

BLITZER:
When things get rough, he
Just hides behind Buffy hats!
Now look, he's getting huffy
Cause he knows that I know.

OTTer:
She clings
She's needy
She's also really greedy
She never-

BLITZER:
His posts are double!

OTTer:
This is my post, hello?
She-

(Music Turns Funky)
BLITZER (Spoken):
Look at me! I'm quoting Madness!

(They both do funky dancing)

BOTH:
You know

OTTer:
You're quite the charmer

BLITZER:
My knight in armor

OTTer:
You're the cutest of the OTTers
With your text as black as pixels
And your firm, yet supple-
Posts seaish!

(More funky music and dancing)

BLITZER:
He's swell

OTTer:
She's sweller

BLITZER:
He'll always be my fellow

OTTer:
That's why I'll never tell her that the end has come

BLITZER:
I've read this tale
There's plot, then resolution
And I know there'll come the day I'll want to run and hide

BOTH:
I lied
I said it's easy
I've tried
But there's these fears I can't quell

OTTer:
Is she looking for a happy end?

BLITZER:
Will the thread be there when I've blitzed it all?

OTTer:
Will our lives become too stressful if I can't help prevent spoilers?

BLITZER:
Will I get so tired and impatient that I skip to the present?

OTTer:
Am I crazy?

BLITZER:
Am I dreamin'?

OTTer:
Am I spoiling a blitzer?

BOTH:
We can really raise the beam in making this thread a hell!

So, thank God, I'll never blitz!
I swear, that I'll never blitz

OTTer:
My posts are sealed

BLITZER:
I take the Fifth

OTTer:
Nothing to see
Move it along

BOTH:
I'll never
Blitz!

Based on 'I'll Never Tell', from Once More With Feeling.

Disclaimer: Not intended to represent my own feelings on blitzing, spoilers, or anyone who has done either of the former. Ahem. Blitzing is a noble calling, and my hat (figurative) is off to the Blitzers.
Wait for it.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:04 pm UTC

Latent22 wrote:It seems to me that since they are running they will now be covering one screen every newpix where they used to take 3-5 or more if they stopped to do something. So we should count the number of scene transitions backwards to work out how many newpix it will take them to get back home. Note that they won't get all the way because they will hit the water at some point.

The only thin hope they have of seeing the other Cugen's again is if they were smart enough to see the danger and pack up and follow where Cugen went. That way they would not be that far back and part way back down they will meet up. If they were smart and went ANY other way then they will be 100's or even a 1000 km away when they get back to land. They could end up in Spain for example while Cugen is stuck in France. How would they find each other again? Lets hope GLR has worked out something for us!

{P1162}
If they get back to the tents we'll have the awfulsome task of identifying and naming 40 stick mannies.

HES

Postby HES » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:09 pm UTC

Exodies wrote:{P1162}
If they get back to the tents we'll have the awfulsome task of identifying and naming 40 stick mannies.

We sure did :)
(Does Exodies know about you-know-what?)
He/Him/His Image

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:15 pm UTC

HES wrote:
Exodies wrote:{P1162}

We sure did :)
(Does Exodies know about you-know-what?)

Looks like he's had some spoiling, but is trying to avoid it, so does not actually know of The Event yet.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:21 pm UTC

Okay, working through some ketchup.

Love the ottifications, everyone! "You're not alone" was very treeish, SPACKlick, and I got a kick out of getting a part in Les Mes again (a different one than before :P )
rvloon wrote:</snipping>
BlitzGirl wrote:What is this singing all about?
Will someone stop this whole charade?
This is a forum thread, not a circus!
Now come on people, settle down,
I am the Main-Mome of this thread,
I run a business of repute.
Now be as gentle as you can,
will someone say how this began?

A circus actually sounds like fun, though... :wink:

Neil_Boekend wrote:
pelrigg wrote:I told GLR that we would keep the T-shirt suggestion page up to date. Therefore, I humbly* suggest that any and all merchandise be posted on the wiki page Requested T-shirt slogans. That should include BlitzGirl's Tee, yappo's tees, there was a polo shirt with a Lucky emblem, BlitzGirl's Flame Emblem (I remember several folks saying "T-shirt, please"), and any other shirts and things which you remember saying "I'd wear that" or "drink from that". Please either enter them yourself on the wiki, or "search" your own posts and bring the suggestion forward for a wiki-warrior to post. This way if GLR does want to make Time stuff He's got a convenient place to look for suggestions. (Also, it would solve the copyright problem for us.)[

Sadly that page gives me the error "Rich text editing has been disabled because the page contains complex code." In source mode I can't understand it. It's not simply HTML and there seems to be no way of indicating something is a picture, thus it will create a link. I'd like to add BlitzGirl's ColorBazooka shirts, but I can't.

I figured out what was causing the "complex code" notification, and removed it. Now that page should be much easier to edit for the casual OTWer. (Hint: don't overlay outside links on your images...)
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:23 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:This took surprisingly little modification from the original:
Spoiler:
Time goes ever on and on
Down from the beach where it began.
Now far uphill the river's gone,
And they must follow, if they can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where wowterfalls and canyons meet.
And whither then? They cannot say.

Time goes ever ever on,
Under star and baobab tree,
From fields where long the sun has shone,
And rivers that don't reach the sea;
Over dunes by aeons sown,
And through the long abandoned vines,
Over grass and over stone,
And through the trees engraved with signs.

Times goes ever ever on
Underneath far-future star,
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that Beanies' maps now know
With horror in those halls of stone
Look one last time to home below
And plains and hills they long have known.

Time goes ever on and on
Up from the beach where it began.
Now far above the tribe have gone,
Let others follow them who can!
Let them a journey new begin,
As they at last with weary feet
Will step into the air so thin,
Their destinies and fates to meet.

I think that's been ottified before, but that doesn't matter, it's nice to have another one now Time has ended! Good one, too! :mrgreen:
mikro2nd wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:Awesomeful idea! :mrgreen: Weirdly, I also had this idea the other dip, but my brewing knowledge is too non-existant to actually have done it myself, so I'm glad you did!

You should try it - brewing is really quite easy. One of those things you can make as simple or as complicated as you like.

Well, I am a big ale drinker and I've recently started brewing mead, so I'd definitely like to give beer a go! I'm just a little daunted by all the different hops and malts and yeasts and things to choose from.
Spoiler:

EEE so beautiful! Image Randalldammit BlitzGirl stop being so brilliant. Or don't, whatever. (I want that shirt now too)
SPACKlick wrote:I began ottifying Les Mis but a lot of it was depressing. Below is the least depressing one.

You're not alone (On my Own - Eponine)
Spoiler:
And now we’re all alone my friend, no more newpix, no ong to wait for
without Cueball, without Megan, without a molpy or a raptor
And now the end is here
let otters shed their final tear

Sometimes I check the otc
and see the waves still looping
I go to Geekwagon , pretend
Cuegan’s journey is still trooping
but then I reach the end
And I’m glad I have these friends

No more Ongs
No more Time for Waiting
All our songs
And rapt anticipating
Our page popes
and blitzers always blitzing
The thread’s still here, but friend’s I fear
it’s OTC that’s missing

but the pain, the pain won’t last forever
We’ll still laugh and OTTify together
In the post-time, we still have eachother
And when I see the posts you leave I smile sisters and brothers

And I know the comic is behind
all the bonds we have achieved and fostered here
If we look close I know that we will find
From today, there's still Time for us

I did wait
But now that Time is over
We go on
Our friendships growing stronger
in Post time
The thread around me changes
We molpy up and molpy down
and never will be strangers

We go on
And though the end felt tragic
All this time
We brought half the magic
Without time
The world will go on turning
So fill our world with happiness
and facts I didn’t know

I’m Still here
You’re still here
We’re still here
And so One true thread grows

Yay more Les Mis ottifying! But least depressing? That song is one of the saddest for me! Although you've kinda flipped it around and made it more optimistic in your ottification :mrgreen: (still brings a tear though...)
rvloon wrote:Nice one. But how about (I left out the spoken bits and the Fantine interaction) :
Spoiler:
At the end of Time you're about 4 months older
And that's all you can say for the life of us here.
It was a struggle, it was hell
To keep up with what everyone's giving.

One more day, ketching up, what is it for?
One day less to be blitzing.

At the end of Time you're another day colder,
And the shirt on your back is not GLR's.
And the Outsiders hurry past, They don't hear the OTTers crying...

And the withdrawal is coming on fast, ready to strike.
One day filled with sighing!

At the end of the day there's another day dawning,
But no newpix in the morning is there on display.

And the waves crash on the sand, and the raft will break any second...
The 40 went on in the land, There's a reckoning still to be reckoned...
And there's gonna be hell to pay, At the end of Time!

GLR wrote:At the end of Time you get sleep deprivation... Drawing frame after frame just to stay ahead.

OTTer#1 wrote:We are desolate with no-ong, And my addiction needs to be fed. It's distracting to my job.

OTTer#2 wrote:That's what she said!

OTTers wrote: And we're graphing our progress!

At the end of Time there's 5 stages to go through
We deny it's over, we demand something more
Color frames, ottify songs,
Keep on writing as long as you're able
Keep on writing till you drop,
We'll treasure the blag that's now on the table.
We found the OTC sublime, At the end of Time!

BlitzGirl wrote:What is this singing all about?
Will someone stop this whole charade?
This is a forum thread, not a circus!
Now come on people, settle down,
I am the Main-Mome of this thread,
I run a business of repute.
Now be as gentle as you can,
will someone say how this began?

OTTers wrote:At the end of Time we keep on being creative
We keep the thread going as long as we can
GLR did it for us - he just said so
So we stay here as long as we're able
Or we end up in BlitzGirl's basement
And we ignore that frame saying 'the end'
Yes, we found the OTC sublime, At the end of all Time!

See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxniYk2dCM0, or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beJzmP8BfYM

Ronald

Also fantastic! We'll soon have the whole musical ottified! :mrgreen:
Whizbang wrote:Going for two in a row?
Spoiler:

Another great one! And another great redundakitty! :mrgreen:
Whizbang wrote:It's fun! Everyone join along!
Spoiler:

These are brilliant too! You're on a bit of a roll :P
Ace wrote:Wait More With Feeling

Posting Through The Madness

Spoiler:
LURKER:
Every single frame
The same arrangement
I go out and fight to post
Still, I always feel the strange estrangement
Nothing here is real
Nothing here is right

I've been making shows of making posts
Just hoping no one knows
That I've been posting through the Madness
Walking through the thread
Nothing seems to penetrate my head

I was always brave and kind of righteous
Now I find I'm wavering
Crawl out of lurking
You find this thread just doesn't mean a thing

OTTer:
She ain't got that slang

LURKER:
Thanks for noticing

OTTers:
She is pretty well with trolls from hell
But lately, we can tell
That she's just posting through the Madness (Posting through the Madness)
Faking it some how

MILITANT BLITZER:
She's not even read half the thread...ow.

LURKER:
Will I stay this way forever?
Sleepwalk through Randall's endeavor?

OTTer:
You mean comawalk-

LURKER:
Whatever.
I don't want to be
Posting through the Madness
Losing all my words
I can't even see
If this is really me
And I just want to see
The words!

Based on Going Through The Motions, from Once More With Feeling.

Neat! (as are the others.) I never got into Buffy so I don't actually know Once More With Feeling, but it sounds really fun.
StratPlayer wrote:One last OTT-filk from me. Maybe a little sadder and harsher than I might like it to be, but it does match the tone of the original...

It's All Over Now for Meg and Cue
(to the tune of "It's All Over Now, Baby Blue" by Bob Dylan)
Spoiler:
You could leave now, take what you need, you think will last
And whatever you wish to keep, you better grab it fast.
The OTC stands silent after its run
(And you're) crying like a fire in the sun.
Look how the OTT's still trying to muddle through,
But it's all over now for Meg and Cue.

This forum was for Waiters who'd lost their sense
and gone insane over every OTC incidence
Now empty-handed, they clutch at frame repeats
And do colorized versions on glossy sheets.
The OTT still trying to give something new,

All your part-time lurkers are going home
All your molpy armies, they're all going home
The Knights Temporal have walked out the door
they've taken their swords and their battle roars.
Waiters are all wondering what they're gonna do,

Leave your songs and stories behind, something new calls to you
Forget those who've left, they will not follow you
Some new opportunity's now rapping at your door
Feel free to answer, you might just like it more
Strike another match, go start anew
'Cause it's all over now for Meg and Cue.

I'm torn. It was a neat filk, but INTO THE BASEMENT WITH IT!

Neat! They even know a bit of the lingo! ("Blitzing")
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

Actaeus

Postby Actaeus » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:24 pm UTC

I made an OTColorful thing!
time-1.png

Did I did good? :o

(Also: WOW BLITZGIRL WHAT. Amazing ambience in those two frames.)

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:26 pm UTC

macraw83 wrote:In the present, you could make a Collatz frame sequence starting at 3176

:cry:
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, Vytron, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:29 pm UTC

Thanks Actaeus! And thanks everyone for all the wowterful compliments! Image
Great ch*rping frame, by the way! :D

Ximenez wrote:But I dreamed of Rosetta last night, and couldnt help but share the moment she tried to explain the OTT to Cuegan:
Spoiler:
(Original frame: 2892. Word cloud by Zorin_75)

That's the most coherent I've seen her be yet!

Poor macraw... *readies another hug*
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

f0rmicUla

Postby f0rmicUla » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:37 pm UTC

Dear fellow Waiters,

back from partly pleasant outside things I found Time came to an end. But, as I always imagined, the OTT is still alive :) Yay!

Two things:
- I searched for but didn't find an OTTodifilkation (still like velorhapsody better) of "Sign O' The Times" by Prince. Anyone? :wink:
- Someone mentioned Girl Genius. Why, thank you very much. :evil: No, srsly, thank you. It's fun but a BIG condiment.1

Thank you all for staying! (place cute heart.gif here)

f0rmi

really redundant:
Spoiler:
jägermonsters-pretty_neat.jpg

1 I like to think of worcestering, especially because many Germans pronounce it (totally) wrong, almost like the Jägermonsters.
I'm a little pea | I love the sky and the trees | I'm a teeny tiny little ant | Checkin' out this and that

WOnder93

Postby WOnder93 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:38 pm UTC

(blitzpost)

Some more OTT Markov chains:
Spoiler:
We had to say " Wanna see some cannons sometime !

Ok so I might pause on the mountaintop structure ( or Bluetooth to your monitor is calibrated for small likable creature , at least , those cards are explicitly built for such a short period ranging from good to me .

I ' m going to build towers , to the thread of Time .

Heeding the words to it , no serpents or rainbows or rainbows acting like serpents have made you a chance Antares could come up before anyone notices that the enns have a shot !

I want to make something like : We can ' t worry , that is nice .

Their home is almost certainly server problems maybe ?

somebody sig-warn me if you ’ re going to pop out of interest to anybody not logged in user ( how is it a few other scribes have stopped ignoring important Outside tasks keep getting in the present , while GLR was running everything -- the smiley in question was not .

But I do look in the sky , it ' s post count anyway .

Questions often can ' t stop giggling !

* sigh * Apparently I only remember the weapon ' s been posted yet .

I just don ' t know if love is making the sky .

I ' m kind of machine that could become bearable with chillies in it .

Oh , " I call they start speaking in the past .

Hope they can ' t appear to be falling in love w / internet providers , <snip>

Starting with 'Megan':
Megan and Cueball dealing with the Discovery Channel , while it knows his audience would get frisky .

Megan would have to be true .

Megan ' s cool !

Megan , bloody Megan .

Starting with 'Randall':
Randall can talk openly about the new ONG .

Randall , in sync , watching Time happen in Time .

Randall is pregnant and have to translate it !

Randall has not contemplated the size and computation needed .

Randall ' s the hats -- you basically can ' t want the extra .

Randall is a closely guarded secret and <snip>

Randall ' s a chase sequence .

Randall just chalked up a chair based on a map once , respectively .

Randall could theoretically continue changing .

Randall is going to go teach Tai Chi class overlapped .

Starting with 'OTT':
OTT furry and cute .

Starting with 'BlitzGirl':
BlitzGirl ' s a fantastic opportunity to implement .

Starting with 'Time':
Time is over , whenever you post !

Time may be no more !

Time is a whirly Time ripple thing * * * <snip>

And here is the OTT plaintext scraping script as I promised: https://github.com/WOnder93/ott-scraper
Scraping all 1300 pages takes about half a newpix, the resulting file is approx. 13MB (without quotes) and encoded in UTF-8.
If there are any problems, feel free to submit an issue on GitHub or PM me :)
The OTT via Markov chain generator wrote:I've been following the thread to be lost.
Time created Cueball and Megan and says, Well, it's research.

On my quest to catch up with the Present - progress
The Sky of Time || OTT plaintext scraper || Userscript: floating user profile

smolloy

Postby smolloy » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:40 pm UTC

P38. Cueball (although we only intermittently refer to him by that name -- mostly he's just "he" or him") is about halfway through the repairs to the castle after he fell and trashed some of it. Megan hasn't been seen in quite a while, and people are getting nervous...

Here is the first mention of a "dong" (*cough*) on this thread. Didn't take too long!
daef wrote:just in case anyone needs a web-based countdown for the next frame (shows the remaining time in the page-title(=tab) and plays a "dong" when the new image arrives): http://www.webcountdown.de/?a=gxMXfoy
16.288% blitzed (I can't believe it went backwards!): Wait for me!
At the moment I calculate my blitz-percentage based on the total number of newpages (which of course continues to rise). Perhaps I should base it on the number of the newpix we do not mention (1254) instead? Opinions?

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:41 pm UTC

Those are really fun, WOnder93! I'd quite like to know how they're generated though. Any chance you could explain (in terms a complete idiot like me might understand) what a Markov chain is?
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

Wildhound

Postby Wildhound » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:47 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:My first contribution to the coloring in thing (800)

ETA: full size original

The best part about this is that it is a photograph (or mostly anyway, as far as I can tell). A lot of talent and effort goes into all of these, but a special hats off to you for going the extra mile.
Last edited by Wildhound on Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:48 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Now and forever, a staunch TimeKeeper amongst heretics.

OTC Android Live Wallpaper

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”