1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

k.bookbinder

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby k.bookbinder » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:27 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
Spoiler:
Latent22 wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:However, much more important in my view is that Randall Munroe has created something. He, and not I, should have control over the decisions about how that appears in the world. I noted that his license does not include SA (share alike). That means that, technically, he has not given permission for modifications and extensions to be made. I don't think he would object to what is being done here (though I don't know that), but has not, in fact, authorized it via his license. On the page that gives GLR's description of what is allowable, he talks only about presenting his work as is in various scenarios. But it also gives an email address by which you can know if what you want to do is ok. (xkcd@xkcd.com)

good info thanks charlie. Just wondering though about modifications. The license he links to from his site is http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.5/. And this very explicitly states in the summery "to Remix — to adapt the work ". Which is many of the things we are doing on the OTT.

From what I can see he has not used a share alike version of the license as you state. But the share alike license is just more strict and adds a requirement that if we use ANY of his work in ours then we MUST release our whole work under the same license to keep it open for others to use. I think his license allows us to release our derivative work under any license we choose since its mostly our copyright we can do what we want with it EXCEPT we must also satisfy his license which means non commercial use and attribution.

Be careful here, though. I worry about your "mostly our copyright". I think that is incorrect. There is a definition in law about derived work. (I linked to the wikipedia article previously). If I take his art and change one pixel from FF to FE does that make it mine to license how I please? I'm guessing that almost none of the colorizations here would come up to the level of the law, as fun and pleasing as they are.

A T shirt with one of these designs has two elements: Randall's work and your colorization:. As yourself these questions? What is it that (most) makes me want to have this shirt? Is it the psychedelic coloring, or the XKCD/1190 art work? If I could only have one or the other, which would it be? I think the answers would be clear. I think Kieryn's sand castle is the most clear exception since it contains a clear level of creativity beyond what is in 1190. Some of the photomanips possibly also. I'd see that as a grey area. He had a waterfall, I have a waterfall. His is B/W hand drawn, mine is a photo. Did I add I add enough creativity to make it mine? I don't know.

But, yes, I was incorrect about derived works, since he could have added ND (no derivative work), but did not. But make sure you fit the definition of derivative work first.

I am suddenly reminded of a court decision (I shall have to try and find it later, but I will mention it now, since it is possible that someone else will recognize it) in which a photographer tried to sue a mixed media artist because of their work. The mixed media artists had used the photographers work in their own work, but it was modified to represent something else. The court had decided in favor of the mixed media artist, stating that (as I can remember it) while the mixed media work was derivative of the photographers work, the new work was, indeed, something new and different, and therefore did not violate the photographers claims to copyright or licensing violation.

In any case, I think this is a good discussion to have, although it is obviously fraught with a lot of grey area. Personally, I would really like a Molpy up! polo, such as the one I submitted on the wiki. I will try to contact GLR, to ask how he feels about it. I will be speaking for myself, of course, but I will also mention the feeling of others here on the OTT. Should I receive a response that clarifies my particular request and/or our collective concerns, I shall share it with you all.

Also, I would like a mug, though I have not yet figured out what the design should be. Perhaps we should set up a wiki section for "proposed Time merchandise" that would include the t-shirt/shirt designs as well as any other idea we come up with.

ETA: Oh, Pope-ishness. I shall issue a decree: If you are so inclined, present a possible mug design to add to our ever growing list of "OMR, we wish we could purchase this from the xkcd.com store." That, and more OTTities, and colorizations, and poetry, and literature, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals...
Last edited by k.bookbinder on Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:36 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

Ximenez

Postby Ximenez » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:32 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
Ximenez wrote:- The shirt company will not be infringing, the same way mscha's hosting provider does not infringe because of xkcd.mscha.org.

That depends on what you and mscha do. Bieber'ssteambottle music? The provider would take him down to protect itself. Though this depends on local law (which is a disaster, I know).

Bieber'ssteambottle music is not under a cc license. But even in that case, the service providers (if they are in USA) are safe until they receive a DMCA takedown notice.
mscha is safe because xkcd is under a cc-by-nc license. His provider will always be safe because xkcd won't serve a DMCA notice.

By the way, most of our beautiful song and poem ottifications are probably illegal (unless we can defend them as parody). This is a sad world.

WOnder93

Postby WOnder93 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:37 pm UTC

Quest progress: 768/1310 pages

In my Present, Cuegan continue walking higher towards the hills, having to climb two ledges on their way. At the second ledge they encounter a molpysnake9, which scares Cueball and he falls down on Megan. They decide to climb the ledge again at a different place, where it is lower. After walking on higher they look back at the sea1.

In the OTT, there is a lot of discussion about math and teaching, Qalyar comes up with his theory of Cassinite Madagascar, there is a trend of claiming ownership (later stewardship) of various things in the OTC and Cueball's detailed description of the molpysnake9 makes many people consider Africa as more likely setting of the OTC than Madagascar. New creative works include animated avatars from mscha, yappobicuits' catchy Molpysong, new chapters of ucim's Acts of the Clerics, ChronosDragon's noir and The Dark Lord by Earthling on Mars. After a long delay, buffygirl finishes new hats and immediately retires to focus more on reading the OTT. Also, StratPlayer gets lost in the Past and produces TWENTY volumes of ketchup (so far...).

Some interesting posts:
Spoiler:
kenmelken's GIFt:
kenmelken wrote:And now, I believe it is time for me to celebrate, as I pass into the triple-digit realm of posts!.

To commemorate, I've made you all a GIFt:

Another of mscha's spectacular photo manips:
mscha wrote:The view from the other side. Perhaps...

Edit: slightly twerked and converted to jpeg

Some insightful words by Vytron:
Vytron wrote:I remember back when I started reading this thread, it was very chaotic and disorganized, back when people were speculating if the sandcastles were a real life analogy of Randall managing to get pregnant but having a miscarriage there was a general feeling of panic and people jumping around not knowing what was going on (with fights about "it'll end at April 1st" Vs. "It'll run for a month!") - it was insane.

Have we lost that? Or, did I just get used to that? Because, if we lost that then I think effort should be put into being more scatterbrained! We may be reaching dangerous levels of sanity! Imagine if when a raptor does appear in the comic, we just call it a molpyraptor!? We need more madness!

Hopefully I just got used to the craziness and we're as deranged as ever.

This post feels kind of nostalgic:
sygnathid wrote:I feel outdated...
The last time I was on this thread, everybody still had that Creed thingy:
All hail the magnificient Lord Randall
The Author of the One True Comic
The Illustrator of Sandcastles
The Keeper of the Newpix
The Creator of Time
We have seen the Castles
We reject the Outside
We do not Sleep
We watch Time
We wait for It
It appears to be gone now, though. Which makes sense, because that bit about the sandcastles is outdated from the comic...

This was absolutely hillarious :mrgreen::
astrocub wrote:100th post:
penis1, penis2, penis3, penis4, penis5, penis6.1 and vagina6.2, penis7, penis8, penis9.

¹: big
²: small
³: pretty neat, and even bigger than it looked
⁴: neat
⁵: old
⁶: beautiful, and empty
⁷: wow
⁸: pretty big, probably knows what it's doing
⁹: brownish and shiny, kind of blotchy

Dammit Janet HAL, you ruin everything :P

And so was this :mrgreen::
jjjdavidson wrote:Didn't have time yesterdONG...

Finally, thanks Eternal Density for sigging one of my Markov chains :) I also considered putting one in my sig, but I couldn't decide which one to use... until now - I got this one today.
The OTT via Markov chain generator wrote:I've been following the thread to be lost.
Time created Cueball and Megan and says, Well, it's research.

On my quest to catch up with the Present - progress
The Sky of Time || OTT plaintext scraper || Userscript: floating user profile

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:58 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:Also, I would like a mug, though I have not yet figured out what the design should be. Perhaps we should set up a wiki section for "proposed Time merchandise" that would include the t-shirt/shirt designs as well as any other idea we come up with.

ETA: Oh, Pope-ishness. I shall issue a decree: If you are so inclined, present a possible mug design to add to our ever growing list of "OMR, we wish we could purchase this from the xkcd.com store." That, and more OTTities, and colorizations, and poetry, and literature, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals...

For the coffee mug, we need to do something that works like this: http://www.amazon.com/Off-Temperature-Controlled-Heat-Sensitive/dp/B007UZ3S2U/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1375275262&sr=8-6&keywords=temperature+changing+mug

Maybe an early frame first, and then a much later one. (Meteor, perhaps.)
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:59 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
Exodies wrote:
highwater wrote:Having only recently wandered inside, I feel the need to delurk to remark that the word "Journey" in newpix m2917 is superimposed with what appears to be a Beanish "9".

P.S. - is there a different word for de-lurking if one had not previously registered for the One True Forum?

{P1167}
Yes, it's called "putting on the OTT" played to the tune of a song by Irving Berlin.

Something like this? ;)

<applause>
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:01 pm UTC

Blind post. (Tomorrow I should be able to do some ketchup – or perhaps it's more like blitzing.)

An update on the “epilogue sequence”:
CDCBAECDAEDCBAEDCCDCBABA
EDCBAECDAEDCBAEDCCDCBABA
EDCBAECDAEDCBAEDCCDCBADB
DEBCEADECACDABDECDCDABAB
DEBCEADECAC

Looks like we've got a new 24-oldpix pattern.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:10 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:Also, I would like a mug, though I have not yet figured out what the design should be. Perhaps we should set up a wiki section for "proposed Time merchandise" that would include the t-shirt/shirt designs as well as any other idea we come up with.

For the coffee mug, we need to do something that works like this: http://www.amazon.com/Off-Temperature-Controlled-Heat-Sensitive/dp/B007UZ3S2U/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1375275262&sr=8-6&keywords=temperature+changing+mug

Oh yes! I had thought it would be neat to have a mug with the completed Sandcastle on it. Fill it up with warm drink, and the sea level rises to cover the Sandcastle. As it cools, or as you drink it, the sea level recedes, revealing the Sandcastle once again.

@mscha It would appear that, even after the you-know-what, it is the will of GLR to keep us on our toes, and make sure we are still paying attention :wink:

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:15 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:
Spoiler:
SBN wrote:

Oh yes! I had thought it would be neat to have a mug with the completed Sandcastle on it. Fill it up with warm drink, and the sea level rises to cover the Sandcastle. As it cools, or as you drink it, the sea level recedes, revealing the Sandcastle once again.

Spoiler:
@mscha It would appear that, even after the you-know-what, it is the will of GLR to keep us on our toes, and make sure we are still paying attention :wink:

Wowterfull idea. I'd order a few.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:21 pm UTC

Redundant Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Shocked Kitty.png

Forecast.png

Wildhound

Postby Wildhound » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:23 pm UTC

I think the simple solution to all this T-shirt madness is to send a message to Randall, and ask him if you are allowed to do it, because:

a) It's the polite thing to do

and

b)
Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 Generic wrote:Waiver — Any of the above conditions can be waived if you get permission from the copyright holder.
Now and forever, a staunch TimeKeeper amongst heretics.

OTC Android Live Wallpaper

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:23 pm UTC

Eliram wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:If I take his art and change one pixel from FF to FE does that make it mine to license how I please?

Yes!

If I change one pixel, I can ask that no one will copy my new creation with that one pixel, and to copyright my change (theoretically. Usually the change should be significant, but even one pixel can be significant)

Sorry, but you aren't making a lot of sense here. Again, can I change one note in a Biebersteambottle recording, perhaps to correct the pitch, and then alter the license and sell it as my own? Is it my own in any real sense?

Yes, one pixel can be significant, of course. But I think you are trying to subvert my message.

The court case mentioned by k.bookbinder above is instructive.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:31 pm UTC

@azule, AluisioASG: Treeish ottifications!
@Whizbang: Your newest OTThercomic is 4 and makes me sad at the same time.

For the pope:
Spoiler:
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

Wildhound

Postby Wildhound » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:31 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
Eliram wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:If I take his art and change one pixel from FF to FE does that make it mine to license how I please?

Yes!

If I change one pixel, I can ask that no one will copy my new creation with that one pixel, and to copyright my change (theoretically. Usually the change should be significant, but even one pixel can be significant)

Sorry, but you aren't making a lot of sense here. Again, can I change one note in a Biebersteambottle recording, perhaps to correct the pitch, and then alter the license and sell it as my own? Is it my own in any real sense?

Yes, one pixel can be significant, of course. But I think you are trying to subvert my message.

Not taking sides here, but your argument is a bit of a red herring. As far as I am aware, Bieber's work is not licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 Generic, so it's apples and oranges really.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:34 pm UTC

BLINDPOSTING from about 5 NPs back to say our wiki-mice might have left us. I see sooo many OTTification songs being done lately that are not up in the wiki page. If it hasn't been done in a day or so, I'll try to comb back and add them... though I don't see myself having too much time as family will be in town and I'm off-com for the entire wipend. :?

Will do my condimenting in a bit. Can't wait to see all the stuff you guys have come up with.

Molpy up:
Spoiler:

ETA: Just saw a possible-flame pop up as I tried to post this. :evil: You xuys ... get in the comfy chair now and prepare for chocolate. Or ropes and basements. Either way.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:35 pm UTC

Per decree:

"My other mug is a dilgunerrang."

"Coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee GRAPEVINE GRAPEVINE"

"Pfffth.
Pthuh! Yuck.
I've had worse."

(And for a t-shirt)

"Megan and Cueball went to Image and all I got was this lousy t-shirt and some maps."
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:39 pm UTC

1) Re copyrighting etc.
Spoiler:
I think this copyright discussion is getting blown way out of proportion. No matter what you do, legal or not, if Randall is not actually going to chase you down and sue you, then it's legality does not matter at all. What does matter is it's if it's ethical or not. Just use common sense... if you think Randall might be offended by your action, don't do it. If you think he'd be fine with it, then do it. If you are really not sure, then it's best to err on the side of caution unless you manage to ask him and get a response.

2) New Data. Well, sort of. Nothing new for my site yet.. I realized I've actually lost a piece of critical code used in the parse, which means I'll need to rewrite some of it. I was actually intending to rewrite the thing from scratch at some point anyway so I'll probably wait until I've done that... probably will be another week or two -- sorry guys! The new data I'm talking about is this: 2730 give or take 10 or so. That's the number of meters the overall water level must drop in the med from it's current levels to give to the approximate sea shape shown in frame m2902. The data I was working with actually does not match at all perfectly with the sea shown, but the precise basin shape would be expected to change a bit in 11,000 years, especially in the process of it drying out.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:41 pm UTC

World's Greatest Image
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:46 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:Image

Redundant Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Shocked Kitty.png

Forecast.png

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rule110 wrote:Per decree:

"My other mug is a dilgunerrang."

"Coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee GRAPEVINE GRAPEVINE"

"Pfffth.
Pthuh! Yuck.
I've had worse."

(And for a t-shirt)

"Megan and Cueball went to Image and all I got was this lousy t-shirt and some maps."

These are awefulsome! I will have to compile these for a Proposed Merchandise section on the wiki :mrgreen:

@Neil_Boekend I love it! It would also make a great cap. Or print it on a beanie! :mrgreen:

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:48 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:Image

Redundant Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Shocked Kitty.png

Forecast.png

I give it a 4 . Love it.
Image- Kieryn

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:49 pm UTC

mscha wrote:Blind post. (Tomorrow I should be able to do some ketchup – or perhaps it's more like blitzing.)

CDCBAECDAEDCBAEDCCDCBABA
EDCBAECDAEDCBAEDCCDCBABA
EDCBAECDAEDCBAEDCCDCBADB
DEBCEADECACDABDECDCDABAB
DEBCEADECAC

It's reversed. Edit.. well parts are...
Image- Kieryn

Eliram

Postby Eliram » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:53 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
Eliram wrote:

Yes!

No you can't, because Bieber's music is copyrighted. The Lyrics are copyrighted, the melody is copyrighted, and the particular recording is copyrighted. (You need different permission to use each).
This, BTW, means that while you can use some of the WORDS in Bieber's lyrics (like "baby") and can compose similar melodies to his tunes, you can't even use a millisecond from a recording without being exposed to a lawsuit.

XKCD's license is different. It ALLOWS you to alter the originals and it ALLOWS you to change the license without contradicting the original license. This means that you can forbid others from using your (joint) work, but you can't sell that work, since it's forbidden by XKCD.

Neil_Boekend wrote:
Eliram wrote:Even GLR can't sell shirts with her (re: BlitzGirl's) creations, since she is allowed to change the license. He can't even print one for himself.

In practice I have a hunch that that exact situation wouldn't pose a problem.

Ah, and THAT is the difference between the LAW and REAL LIFE :-)
It's about time.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:54 pm UTC

OK, this shall be my final post regarding the whole copyright issue (as I have previously posted, I will attempt to contact GLR). I found the recent court case which I was thinking of: this article

Also, I found these to be interesting: this one and this one. But I want to clarify that none of these may apply to our discussions here. But they are interesting, nonetheless, especially the one about Appropriation Art and Copyright (the second posted link), since it features what appears to be an OTT style coloration, by Van Gogh, of a Gustave Dore painting :D As artists we are in good company.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:59 pm UTC

Wildhound wrote:
Spoiler:
charlie_grumbles wrote:
Eliram wrote:

Yes!

Not taking sides here, but your argument is a bit of a red herring. As far as I am aware, Bieber's work is not licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 Generic, so it's apples and oranges really.

Probably not, actually. Derived works have been permitted in the past even when the work doesn't have an explicit license. The law may make that different now, of course as Mickey Mouse owns everything. The question raised wasn't about the license, but about derived works. You can parody Biebersteambottle still (please!). You could probably create an opera in which some fairly large part of one of his works was used, even now. But you would be questioned (i.e. sued) for it and the courts would decide if it was a substantial creative work that used it as a component. But we are getting into the legal weeds here.

But changing one pixel of an xkcd comic does not give me the right to sell "my" work. Even if I carefully attribute it and carefully explain what I've done. But I could sell a parody, though how much of the actual artwork could be incorporated into a parody would be questionable. Probably not much. I could draw my own stick figures, no problem (other than my poor skill).

And recall that a CC license is not "in lieu of" copyright. In fact it depends on the owner holding copyright and the strength of copyright laws to enforce the terms. The same is true for GPL work. So even if Biebersteambottle doesn't license his works, the "exceptions" (whatever they now are) in copyright law still apply.

But if you respect Randall Munroe, leave it to him to decide these things. Don't substitute your judgment for his. Ask.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

adnapemit

Postby adnapemit » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:00 pm UTC

Just a quick Ottification of a Rhyme...

Cuegan Went To Sea
Meg and Cue went to sea, sea, sea
To see what they could see, see, see
But all that they could see, see, see
Was a disaster of a flooding sea, sea, sea.

Edit: spelling...
Last edited by adnapemit on Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:04 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Empress adnapemit "Nancy" "Time Panda"
[adnapemit|timepanda]
Does anyone actually read signatures?

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:03 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:
mscha wrote:Blind post. (Tomorrow I should be able to do some ketchup – or perhaps it's more like blitzing.)

CDCBAECDAEDCBAEDCCDCBABA
EDCBAECDAEDCBAEDCCDCBABA
EDCBAECDAEDCBAEDCCDCBADB
DEBCEADECACDABDECDCDABAB
DEBCEADECAC

It's reversed. Edit.. well parts are...

Wait, not it's a fractal. It's chaotic. There's a pattern. It means something. It means nothing. It's all true. It's all related. It's a nerdsnipe.
Image- Kieryn

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:12 pm UTC

I think people might be overthinking this CC-BY-NC thing. Seek not enlightenment in the small print of the CC license, but in the words of the Great Lord Randall Himself. Ask, and permission might be accorded you:

GLR wrote:Can we print xkcd in our magazine/newspaper/other publication?

If it's a not-for-profit publication, you need no permission -- just print them with attribution to xkcd.com. If it's a for-profit operation, I will probably give you permission if you email me to let me know. You can post xkcd in your blog (whether ad-supported or not) with no need to get my permission.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:19 pm UTC

Just want to add real quick that "Molpy up!" is not GLR's IP anyway (though a copied image of Lucky would be), unless there's a statement on the fora somewhere saying that anything we post here belongs to him. Also "grapevine grapevine", "dilgunerrang", "semencoffecancerbabiesonice" or anything else not present in the comic. Images and quotes from the comic are his, so "Pfffth. Pthuh! Yuck. I've had worse." is his.

edit: You would have to ask yappo's permission to put molpy molpy... grapevine grapevine on a shirt, but i seriously doubt he would come after you either :wink:
Last edited by jovialbard on Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:26 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:22 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:(And for a t-shirt)

"I waited for half an hour and all I got was one lousy darkening pixel"

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:23 pm UTC

Meanwhile we have links to a commercial printing shop on our wiki by user "cadellin" (doesn't ring a bell) :?
I don't think this is a good idea (or the intention of that page)...
Go Minim go!

mikro2nd

Re: Frame 2074 photomanip

Postby mikro2nd » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:35 pm UTC

AnotherKevin wrote:I thought that Cuegan should be on a high ridge, with one of the rivers visible in the background...

Spoiler:

That one is so 7!
One world, one soul
Time pass, the river rolls

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:42 pm UTC

SBN wrote:For the coffee mug, we need to do something that works like this: http://www.amazon.com/Off-Temperature-Controlled-Heat-Sensitive/dp/B007UZ3S2U/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1375275262&sr=8-6&keywords=temperature+changing+mug

ooh, I was thinking the same thing! - I would like one with The Fading, where the Sandcastle fades with the heat and then comes back again after cooling off.
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

Ebonite

Postby Ebonite » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:01 pm UTC

HES wrote:
MajorDouble7 wrote:I was hoping that it might still be possible to 'request' or 'claim' specific frames for colorization? Because of OutsideH workH, I've been putting together frame 3 very slowly (hope to finish it tomornip) and don't want it to get ninja'd

Duplicates are welcome, it's not like they're going to come out identical

I'd say that since you've stated your intent to colorize frame 3, I would hope others would read that and go out of their way to avoid colorizing the same frame. After all, we have 3099 to choose from, so it shouldn't be that difficult to find another!

However, there is always the possibility that someone else had already started working on frame 3 without knowing you were working on it at the same time, or else someone might do so in the future without going back to check if it was already done. If that happens, don't take it as a personal slight. I agree with HES that duplicates are acceptable; we've had duplicate filks and things in the past before. One nice thing about the OTT is that no one takes any of these things personally.
Sir Ebonite, Lord of the Three Holes
"molpy molpy molpy molpy la la la"

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:04 pm UTC

For all those interested...

Here is a height-map of the Time world I just rendered using some free bathymetric data I found online:
Full Size(1024 x 1024)

For calibration:
Spoiler:
The region is from 39.72, 3.46 (bottom left) to 43.54, 8.22 (top right)

Depth data is such that a value of #000000 would correspond to a depth (from current sea level) of 5300 m (a little over the lowest point in the Mediterranean) and a value of #FFFFFF would be sea level. However any pure black or white values in the image really mean it's at or above current sea level. Positive elevation data is currently not included in the image, but I'm sure that could easily be added at some point.
Image- Kieryn

Eliram

Postby Eliram » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:10 pm UTC

Ebonite wrote:
HES wrote:
MajorDouble7 wrote:I was hoping that it might still be possible to 'request' or 'claim' specific frames for colorization? Because of OutsideH workH, I've been putting together frame 3 very slowly (hope to finish it tomornip) and don't want it to get ninja'd

I'd say that since you've stated your intent to colorize frame 3, I would hope others would read that and go out of their way to avoid colorizing the same frame. After all, we have 3099 to choose from, so it shouldn't be that difficult to find another!

However, there is always the possibility that someone else had already started working on frame 3 without knowing you were working on it at the same time, or else someone might do so in the future without going back to check if it was already done. If that happens, don't take it as a personal slight. I agree with HES that duplicates are acceptable; we've had duplicate filks and things in the past before. One nice thing about the OTT is that no one takes any of these things personally.

While duplicates ARE welcome, you can claim/reserve/call dibs on a frame at the OTColored page (and several people actually did that), to let others know you're working on a particular frame.
Just add a line to the table with the frame number, add your name and a nice note.
Also, read the instructions at the top of the page.
It's about time.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:16 pm UTC

Eliram wrote:
Ebonite wrote:
HES wrote:

While duplicates ARE welcome, you can claim/reserve/call dibs on a frame at the OTColored page (and several people actually did that), to let others know you're working on a particular frame.
Just add a line to the table with the frame number, add your name and a nice note.

Also, if you are not quite comfortable messing with the Wiki page, and making any edits, just let us know. There are a number of us who would be happy to assist. Feel free to PM us as well. And by us I do mean any other OTTer who may seem to have some clue as to how to add something to the wiki. Perhaps I am over stepping by seemingly speaking for others, but we are generally a helpful bunch here. Surely feel free to PM me and I will happily assist, if it is within my capacity to do so. :D

mikro2nd

Postby mikro2nd » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:27 pm UTC

the_Dex wrote:Hello to all the OTTer's in the future. I'd like to introduce myself. I go by Dex, and like many here have been a long time fan of xkcd. I don't normally register for forums so I hope I don't make to many faux pas (never liked liver anyways). I have read the rules though : )
Spoiler:
Way back on March 25th, since I read the tool tip of that day's comic, I came back to xkcd and saw that the image was different than earlier. Having been amazed at some of the stuff that GLR has pulled off in the past (cough drag cough) I "wisely" put down another bookmark and blithely went on my way.

For several months I checked it every so often in addition to my morning e-jaunts through my webcomic bookmarks, and that seemed sufficient. I could tell that I was missing images, but there never seemed to be drastic changes. Little did I know what I was actually missing.

Then things started changing rapidly. Wait, where are they walking too? When did they find that tower thingy? A cathedral!?!? But through it all I was never motivated to dig deeper. Until, believe it or not, Friday July 26th (I'm sorry, I know it still must hurt).

I don't even remember now what the image was that prompted me to break out the google, but I did. And found the Explainxkcd wiki (wonderful btw) and links to all sorts of useful things, like Time players. And I played it… and I was stunned. All this! This was going on the whole time! Every hour! After going through it a couple of times and doing a few other searches, I plopped onto one of pages of this very thread.

Oh my word, what was going on here. People speaking in tongues, technical analysis of time and place. Thankfully I was off that day (unfortunately I had a to do list that didn't). I bounced between random pages of the thread and the wiki. It was amazing. But the outside intruded and off I went, another few bookmarks richer.

So I log back in on Saturday, with my unearthed my copies of the Gandalara Cycle (from way back in the bookcase) and there it was. Game over man, game over! Like many of you I was taken aback, but maybe for a different reason. I mean, I had just found all this. I picked up my bookmark and started reading, and reading, and… oh, listening. Amazing job on the "Every Newframe's awefulsome" video YappoBiscuits. I finally caught up around pg. 1286, not counting the 1000+ previous pages I know nothing about. And I just sat there, and thought about it.

I must say I am very impressed with what you all… sorry, all y'all, have built here. To me forums are something to get in, get the information you need, and get out, preferable before you see anything too toxic. But this place appears to nuture not only whimsical fun, but some serious talent and brain power as well. I am bummed I was not able to join everyone on this journey as it unfolded.

I have started from page one and am now working my way through this thread. It's quite interesting to see how it all unfolded (I'm on pg. 66 I think). But at the rate you guys are generating new pages, it'll probably take me (lets see, thats 12, carry the 2…) oh, I don't know, like two years yips to catch up to your present. But I hope that, when I finally see that day, there will still be some OTTer's there to say hello.

And by the way, if you guys could convince GLR to produce that t-shirt with the first frame on the front and the last frame on the back… I desperately want to give him money for that! I don't remember who came up with that but it is a perfect summary of this whole experience.

To the fore, time starts
'pon the hind, time ends
and in the span between I exist.

Sorry about the newb-plosion. I guess between catching up and Outside requirements I built up a few things to say. Time to put the shoulder to the boulder for a little bit and see if I can't get it closer to the top, which seems to keep growing.

Dex

Prob'ly ninja'd, but throwing forward this sea-ish delurk. Welcome, Dex! Beware the foam maiden.

Oh, and (
One world, one soul
Time pass, the river rolls

Ebonite

Postby Ebonite » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:42 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:
Eliram wrote:
Ebonite wrote:
HES wrote:

Also, if you are not quite comfortable messing with the Wiki page, and making any edits, just let us know. There are a number of us who would be happy to assist. Feel free to PM us as well. And by us I do mean any other OTTer who may seem to have some clue as to how to add something to the wiki. Perhaps I am over stepping by seemingly speaking for others, but we are generally a helpful bunch here. Surely feel free to PM me and I will happily assist, if it is within my capacity to do so. :D

Now that you mention it, can someone add my version of frame 7 to the wiki page? As I mentioned earlier, it was a "re-imagining", so it may have to be resized. I'm not sure what the best way to do that is. My thanks to anyone who can do that for me!
Sir Ebonite, Lord of the Three Holes
"molpy molpy molpy molpy la la la"

Wildhound

Postby Wildhound » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:57 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:And recall that a CC license is not "in lieu of" copyright. In fact it depends on the owner holding copyright and the strength of copyright laws to enforce the terms. The same is true for GPL work. So even if Biebersteambottle doesn't license his works, the "exceptions" (whatever they now are) in copyright law still apply.

I am no copyright expert, but it is my understanding that this is precisely the reason that licenses like Creative Commons were created, to be used in lieu of Copyright. ie, if an author feels that Copyright is too restrictive, they can use another license to choose which rights they waive, and which they reserve.

charlie_grumbles wrote:But if you respect Randall Munroe, leave it to him to decide these things. Don't substitute your judgment for his. Ask.

Well we are certainly of a mind on this one. See my previous post:

Wildhound wrote:I think the simple solution to all this T-shirt madness is to send a message to Randall, and ask him if you are allowed to do it, because:

a) It's the polite thing to do

and

b)
Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 Generic wrote:Waiver — Any of the above conditions can be waived if you get permission from the copyright holder.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:11 pm UTC

Spoiler:

Redundant Spoiler:
Spoiler:
A surprising amount of blood.png

Bloody redundant kitty.png

Also, could someone add this to OTColored? I can't figure out how to insert a new row upload the image.

Edited to spoiler image for people affected by the sight of blood.
Last edited by Whizbang on Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:54 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:15 pm UTC

What, NOBODY follows PagePope decrees anymore?....

<brings an Orangutan>

BlitzGirl the Fast the First

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”