1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Ebonite

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Ebonite » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:21 pm UTC

CasCat wrote:What, NOBODY follows PagePope decrees anymore?....

<brings an Orangutan>

I always forget to check the PagePope decrees because it seems I'm always slightly blindposting anyway. . .so my posts never match up with the decrees!

Assuming that, by the time this gets posting, the decree is still to propose an idea for a coffee mug. . .I propose an image of Cuegan walking along the ground that wraps around the entire mug, so that their trek never ends! The way Time should be.

ETA: How ironic! In a post where I'm talking about the PagePope, it turns out I'm the Pope for the very first time!

Here's something fun for a decree: add dialogue to a frame that originally doesn't have dialogue! Here's an example off the top of my head:

Spoiler:

Redundant:
Spoiler:
dance.png
Last edited by Ebonite on Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:48 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Sir Ebonite, Lord of the Three Holes
"molpy molpy molpy molpy la la la"

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:25 pm UTC

CasCat wrote:What, NOBODY follows PagePope decrees anymore?....

<brings an Orangutan>

People were too busy yapping about copyright law. *yawns*
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:27 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:Also, could someone add this to OTColored? I can't figure out how to insert a new row upload the image.

You have to be registered and logged in there in order to upload pictures.
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

Eliram

Postby Eliram » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:34 pm UTC

Ebonite wrote:Now that you mention it, can someone add my version of frame 7 to the wiki page? As I mentioned earlier, it was a "re-imagining", so it may have to be resized. I'm not sure what the best way to do that is. My thanks to anyone who can do that for me!

Whizbang wrote:Image
Also, could someone add this to OTColored? I can't figure out how to insert a new row upload the image.

Happily Added both. :-)
Last edited by Eliram on Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:37 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
It's about time.

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:35 pm UTC

I looked at the OtherComic's thread today (I enjoy all works of the GLR) and saw that the last poster had a post-count of 100. I was half-way through my congrats post before realizing where I was. *sniff* It'll never be the same as it was here.

Time has done it again. I looked at the Blag comments to see if we made a splash there as well.
Spoiler:
Blag Topic - posts in first 2 days (in order from lowest to highest)
CNU Visit - 7
Money Chart - 14
Odd Milestone - 25
Morbid Python - 26
Groundhog's Day - 30
Tsunami - 30
Geohashing - 31
GoDaddy - 55
1190: Time - 108
Almost double that of the second highest.
Voice of the Silent
Owner of the contents of Cueball's head
Lurking Time-Ninja of the Past-Post

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:35 pm UTC

Wildhound wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:And recall that a CC license is not "in lieu of" copyright. In fact it depends on the owner holding copyright and the strength of copyright laws to enforce the terms. The same is true for GPL work. So even if Biebersteambottle doesn't license his works, the "exceptions" (whatever they now are) in copyright law still apply.

I am no copyright expert, but it is my understanding that this is precisely the reason that licenses like Creative Commons were created, to be used in lieu of Copyright. ie, if an author feels that Copyright is too restrictive, they can use another license to choose which rights they waive, and which they reserve.

charlie_grumbles wrote:But if you respect Randall Munroe, leave it to him to decide these things. Don't substitute your judgment for his. Ask.

Well we are certainly of a mind on this one. See my previous post:

Wildhound wrote:
Spoiler:
I think the simple solution to all this T-shirt madness is to send a message to Randall, and ask him if you are allowed to do it, because:

a) It's the polite thing to do

and

b)
Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 Generic wrote:Waiver — Any of the above conditions can be waived if you get permission from the copyright holder.

Yes, copyright is required before you can CC anything, rather than in lieu of copyright. See
http://wiki.creativecommons.org/FAQ#Wha ... icenses.3F
You can't, for example, put CC on something for which you have no copyright. And, just as important, for the CC terms to be legally enforceable, you need copyright law behind you. The same is true for GPL, as I mentioned. If you give up copyright (i.e. make it public-domain) then you have no more rights over it at all. You can't just make up your own terms and have them legally enforceable, unless you hold copyright and choose to yield some of your rights under that law.

A CC licence just makes explicit to all what you permit under your copyright. Without such a statement, nothing is permitted beyond simple consumption.

I should have mentioned earlier (sorry) that one of the key reasons for "fair use" is to permit brief quotations of copyright work in such things as research, critique/criticism, parody, and the like. It isn't to permit anyone to have "a few" free copies.

Copyright was originally included in the US constitution to "encourage creativity". Sadly, since Mickey Mouse approached the end of copyright (Life of the author + 17Years, I think it was), Disney has gone all out with lobbyists and lawyers to make copyright essentially eternal. Unfortunately, this means that the Gutenberg project is unlikely to ever get access to books published after Mickey Mouse was created.

The ironic thing is that much/most of Disney's "creations" were not, in fact, created by Disney, but are the Heritage of the European Tradition. Snow White, etc. all pre-date Walt and his minions. But now the stories have become locked up in many ways. So now, copyright serves to stifle creativity, not encourage it.

The argument for copyright was that the author should be rewarded for his work and be able to make a living off of it. Well and Good. Then someone said "what about the heirs?" That was thought to be important, but in reality, they didn't create anything. Then someone said "What about the corporations?" Now it is all down-hill to the bottom of the Med basin. And since we give corporations all of the same rights (except the "right" to go to jail and be executed) as natural persons, well ...

Along with many other things in the US, this needs changing. And I say that as an author. But who will change it when our political system is utterly corrupt?
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:35 pm UTC

Image which is not unlike a river...
Valarya wrote:BLINDPOSTING from about 5 NPs back to say our wiki-mice might have left us. I see sooo many OTTification songs being done lately that are not up in the wiki page. If it hasn't been done in a day or so, I'll try to comb back and add them... though I don't see myself having too much time as family will be in town and I'm off-com for the entire wipend. :?

Yeah, there has been such a flurry of ottifications since T** E**, the wiki hasn't been able to keep up... Once we've got it as up to date as we can, I think the best thing would be if you (speaking to all OTTers here) add your own ottifications to the wiki if you want them there. (For those scared by wiki editing, it's very easy. On the Songs page, click "edit", go down to the bottom of the table, right click the last entry, go to "row", then "insert after". Then just type in the new row!)

Re. Merchandise - I'd love just a beanie with a bit of beanish on it! Once we figure out Beanish, of course. Don't want to go around with some naughty word like "Mustardchirper" on your head without realising...

jovialbard wrote:You would have to ask yappo's permission to put molpy molpy... grapevine grapevine on a shirt, but i seriously doubt he would come after you either :wink:

I would be honoured! :mrgreen: But, the molpy image is just a silhouette version of weebl's Badgers, so you'd probably need HIS permission to include that.
...Which makes me think of other artistic interpretaions of a molpy, and now I want BlitzGirl's molpy on a shirt...
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

Wildhound

Postby Wildhound » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:47 pm UTC

Charlie, I don't know how you have interpreted my post as suggesting that one could apply a Creative Commons license to something for which they do not hold the Copyright.

Once a work is released under a license such as Creative Commons, it is used in lieu of Copyright. You have waived some of your rights and you cannot revoke the license. While you can cease distributing the work under that license, you cannot prevent anyone who obtained the work under that license from continuing to use it as such.
Now and forever, a staunch TimeKeeper amongst heretics.

OTC Android Live Wallpaper

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:52 pm UTC

Wildhound wrote:Charlie, I don't know how you have interpreted my post as suggesting that one could apply a Creative Commons license to something for which they do not hold the Copyright.

Once a work is released under a license such as Creative Commons, it is used in lieu of Copyright. You have waived some of your rights and you cannot revoke the license. While you can cease distributing the work under that license, you cannot prevent anyone who obtained the work under that license from continuing to use it as such.

What you say is correct. However your quote did include
Wildhound wrote:...to be used in lieu of Copyright
So, I guess you didn't mean that precisely.

But you give important information. You can't withdraw permission that you have previously granted. The license is valid as long as the copyright is. Thanks.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

MajorDouble7

Postby MajorDouble7 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:52 pm UTC

Molpy up!!
(Warning: sea-ish)
Spoiler:

Also, I've got my first OTColorification (Frame 3), let me know what you think! I plan on doing many of these, if I can ever find the TIME. :wink:

RA DUN DENT
Spoiler:
OTColorification frame 3.jpg
HES wrote:That's not how these things work; Beardo will know, but before telling them he will send them on a quest for the magical sand timer of the molpy people. He'll give them a stick with +1 Thwapping and [...] once Time ends, it will restart on a higher difficulty setting.

Ebonite

Postby Ebonite » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:53 pm UTC

Eliram wrote:
Ebonite wrote:Now that you mention it, can someone add my version of frame 7 to the wiki page? As I mentioned earlier, it was a "re-imagining", so it may have to be resized. I'm not sure what the best way to do that is. My thanks to anyone who can do that for me!

Whizbang wrote:Also, could someone add this to OTColored? I can't figure out how to insert a new row upload the image.

Happily Added both. :-)

Thanks, Eliram. :-)

Incidentally, I replaced my Cover Photo on Facebook with a piece of my colorized frame 7, so you can see Cuegan sitting on a beach with sunset colors in the background. (Actually, most of Cuegan are obscured by my FB picture.) Interestingly, several of my FB friends have "liked" the new Cover Photo. . .even though none of those friends are OTTers, and have any clue what it is or what it refers to. None of them have asked me why my Cover Photo has stick figures in it. :-) I guess they just like the sunset colors better than what I had previously.
Sir Ebonite, Lord of the Three Holes
"molpy molpy molpy molpy la la la"

Wildhound

Postby Wildhound » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:00 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:What you say is correct. However your quote did include
Wildhound wrote:...to be used in lieu of Copyright
So, I guess you didn't mean that precisely.

I think we are both just looking at the phrase "in lieu of" differently.

What I meant is that the license is used in place of Copyright, because you no longer hold all the rights granted to you under Copyright law - you have waived some. What I believe you interpreted it as is that the license can be used in place of Copyright, if you don't hold Copyright. An example of the ambiguity of language I suppose.
Now and forever, a staunch TimeKeeper amongst heretics.

OTC Android Live Wallpaper

marchlight

Postby marchlight » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:01 pm UTC

I think it will be quite a while before I stop getting excited about ONG time. Just now I had a little flutter of "oooh, the OTT is worried about copyright, but the newpix will get us back to happy speculation!". It's like when the power goes out while you're wasting time on the computer and you think "ah well, I guess I'll be productive and vacuum... doh. Maybe I'll cook dinner then... argh".

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:03 pm UTC

Well, I attempted to create a page in the wiki for OTTercomics. Of course, I mustarded it up and misspelled the page title as "OTTercoics". Could someone fix that, or recreate it or whatever. Also, I registered an account, but haven't got my confirmation email yet. When I do, I'll upload pics.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:18 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:
Spoiler:

Redundant Spoiler:
Spoiler:
A surprising amount of blood.png

Bloody redundant kitty.png

Also, could someone add this to OTColored? I can't figure out how to insert a new row upload the image.

:shock:
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

HES

Postby HES » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:25 pm UTC

Molpy up!
DistractiONG!
He/Him/His Image

ucim

Postby ucim » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:26 pm UTC

MajorDouble7 wrote:...Also, I've got my first OTColorification (Frame 3), let me know what you think! I plan on doing many of these, if I can ever find the TIME. :wink:
Is it just me, or does this look like the two eyes of a keyboard lying down and watching me? Awesome!

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

spOTTy

Postby spOTTy » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:31 pm UTC

Oh, hello there. I lurked so long that Time ended.

This is a blind[ish] post from page 1173. Inexplicably the page count is still going up (1312 as I write this), even though Time has sat still saying The End. What's going on out there?

I've lurked for a long time and certainly not read most of the forum. Recently I've been checking geekwagon once a week, and reading the latest few OTT pages. But this week I find it has STOPPED. So suddenly, so soon. I'm so sad.

So I've decided to (very slowly) ketchup my way through, from the map-reveal to the end of the thread. It'll take me a long time due to outside pressure - and I don't want to rush things, now that Time is (apparently) no more.

I'm posting now because of sigs like this:
AluisioASG wrote:Blitzers: blindpost! Now! We need topics! Also, we're still here, despite what other signatures may say.

... and because, as I said, I've watched the forum count keep rising. Know that, from deep in the past, there are those thinking of you.

I hope someone sees this, though I strongly doubt I'll ever see you - by the time I reach the end of this quest, you'll all be long gone. But maybe I'll find this post again, deep in the future.

spOTTy, signing off. X

HES

Re: Heyyyy, Neat Sandcastle

Postby HES » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:32 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:(Actually I've decided to remove this since really I have no idea what I'm talking about :P)

I love coming across brain-fart posts like this, mostly because it means I'm not the only one who does it...

Kieryn wrote:It's chaotic. There's a pattern. It means something. It means nothing. It's all true. It's all related. It's a nerdsnipe.

Tagline for the Time movie, or t-shirt design?

ucim wrote:Is it just me, or does this look like the two eyes of a keyboard lying down and watching me? Awesome!

Jose

If I lean back and squint a little bit...
He/Him/His Image

MajorDouble7

Postby MajorDouble7 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:33 pm UTC

Ebonite wrote:
HES wrote:
MajorDouble7 wrote:I was hoping that it might still be possible to 'request' or 'claim' specific frames for colorization? Because of OutsideH workH, I've been putting together frame 3 very slowly (hope to finish it tomornip) and don't want it to get ninja'd

Duplicates are welcome, it's not like they're going to come out identical

I'd say that since you've stated your intent to colorize frame 3, I would hope others would read that and go out of their way to avoid colorizing the same frame. After all, we have 3099 to choose from, so it shouldn't be that difficult to find another!

However, there is always the possibility that someone else had already started working on frame 3 without knowing you were working on it at the same time, or else someone might do so in the future without going back to check if it was already done. If that happens, don't take it as a personal slight. I agree with HES that duplicates are acceptable; we've had duplicate filks and things in the past before. One nice thing about the OTT is that no one takes any of these things personally.

Thanks, and I too agree with both you and HES, I was just hoping mine would get into the project! :) It's finished now (on the previous page I think...I'm ketchupping a bit here), so check it out! Also, I'm going to navigate to the Wiki a bit later today and try to figure out exactly how to get it on there...I'm sure I can figure it out, I've just never edited a Wiki before, so if someone has the CueganG to do it effortlessly, I'd appreciate it. :D

G Yes, I just used Cuegan to mean, as close as I can explain it, 'Gumption'. :wink:

ETA:
Eliram wrote:While duplicates ARE welcome, you can claim/reserve/call dibs on a frame at the OTColored page (and several people actually did that), to let others know you're working on a particular frame.
Just add a line to the table with the frame number, add your name and a nice note.
Also, read the instructions at the top of the page.

Perfect, thanks Eliram...that's what I was looking for. I'll check it out before making any more!

ETA(2):
k.bookbinder wrote:Also, if you are not quite comfortable messing with the Wiki page, and making any edits, just let us know. There are a number of us who would be happy to assist. Feel free to PM us as well. And by us I do mean any other OTTer who may seem to have some clue as to how to add something to the wiki. Perhaps I am over stepping by seemingly speaking for others, but we are generally a helpful bunch here. Surely feel free to PM me and I will happily assist, if it is within my capacity to do so. :D

And thanks, k.bookbinder! :D
Last edited by MajorDouble7 on Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:51 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
HES wrote:That's not how these things work; Beardo will know, but before telling them he will send them on a quest for the magical sand timer of the molpy people. He'll give them a stick with +1 Thwapping and [...] once Time ends, it will restart on a higher difficulty setting.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:36 pm UTC

MajorDouble7 wrote:Also, I'm going to navigate to the Wiki a bit later today and try to figure out exactly how to get it on there...I'm sure I can figure it out, I've just never edited a Wiki before, so if someone has the CueganG to do it effortlessly, I'd appreciate it. :D

G Yes, I just 'verbed' Cuegan...to mean, as close as I can explain it, 'Gumption'. :wink:

You mean you 'nouned' Cuegan. 'Gumption' is a noun. :wink:
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, Vytron, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

NoPepperGames

Postby NoPepperGames » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:36 pm UTC

Just registered so I could drop a vanishingly-small-chance-of-being-seen note of thanks to Randall for 1190. Obviously a tremendous amount of effort and love went into creating a full, complete story in a medium that rarely allows it. Thank you.

MajorDouble7

Postby MajorDouble7 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:42 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:
Spoiler:

Redundant Spoiler:
Spoiler:
A surprising amount of blood.png

Bloody redundant kitty.png

I'm sure I've been Ninja'd, but this is AMAZING!!! Treeish doesn't even cover it! Sure, some might think it's a bit grotesque, but it adds a lot of variety and flavor to what's already been created!! I like it, nice work. :wink:

ETA:
taixzo wrote:You mean you 'nouned' Cuegan. 'Gumption' is a noun. :wink:

Hahahhahaha! Right you are. :wink: In my head I automatically turned "altered the way this word is used" to "I verbed it". I think a lot of people actually do that very same thing, now that I think about it! Good catch, taixzo. :wink:
Last edited by MajorDouble7 on Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:50 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

jetpac

Postby jetpac » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:50 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:General question to everyone: What is the OTT accomplishment that you are most proud of? (Up until now, anyway, since there's plenty more OTT to go!) An ottification, coining a word, naming a character, writing a post that you thought was particularly good, participating in a scientific discussion, starting an OTT custom, writing a thorough wiki article, etc? I'm curious to see what everyone comes up with. :) It doesn't have to be the most "popular" thing you've done, it can be something small, just as long as you are proud of it!

== Blindpost from NP 1282/1312 ==

Can't believe I'm 30 NP behind again...

Anyways, my favorite (and probably only) accomplishment in the OTT would be my javascript joke. Every time I see someone use "has anyone noticed the Javascript?" as the stereotypical already-been-asked-question I smile to myself a little :)

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:59 pm UTC

jetpac wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:General question to everyone: What is the OTT accomplishment that you are most proud of? (Up until now, anyway, since there's plenty more OTT to go!) An ottification, coining a word, naming a character, writing a post that you thought was particularly good, participating in a scientific discussion, starting an OTT custom, writing a thorough wiki article, etc? I'm curious to see what everyone comes up with. :) It doesn't have to be the most "popular" thing you've done, it can be something small, just as long as you are proud of it!

== Blindpost from NP 1282/1312 ==

Can't believe I'm 30 NP behind again...

Anyways, my favorite (and probably only) accomplishment in the OTT would be my javascript joke. Every time I see someone use "has anyone noticed the Javascript?" as the stereotypical already-been-asked-question I smile to myself a little :)

Ahhh... so that was you! :-)

ETA: My most proud moment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSOWQYx7MYU
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

Valarya

Re: Grapevine grapevine.

Postby Valarya » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:06 pm UTC

Ketchup Part 1
(why do I feel like it takes more to ketchup POST the Voldemort frame?)

ucim wrote:including the Voldemort moment.

Hey! I'm not the only one who calls it this! ;)

k.bookbinder wrote:I do hope that some OTTer would feel so inclined to provide us with an OTTification in their native language, should they be so inclined to do so..

They could put their native-language in any of the Beanish frames and it would be pretty similar to how I see those frames now! Unintelligible. :P

Speaking of Beanish.. do we have anyone working on decoding it still? Our GLR did say in his blag post it could be figured out. Doing this would be JUST like having new newpix because there'd be a whole lot of dialogue we haven't seen before. I'd help if I were smart enough.

the_Dex wrote:Hello to all the OTTer's in the future.
<big snip>
I must say I am very impressed with what you all… sorry, all y'all, have built here. To me forums are something to get in, get the information you need, and get out, preferable before you see anything too toxic. But this place appears to nuture not only whimsical fun, but some serious talent and brain power as well. I am bummed I was not able to join everyone on this journey as it unfolded.
<more snipping>

Hello, Dex!! I'm sure you've already received a few hellos by this point (as I'm blind-ketchuping), but I wanted to give you an incredibly warm welcome. That was one of the best firstpost experiences for me. Especially because, having only found this thread a few dips ago and flipping around here and there, you already have a pretty fair grasp on our language! :D In other words, you're fitting right in already.

I completely agree with you about forums being something you generally get in, scan for the info you need, and get out. I believe that makes this place that much more amazing and why so many of us feel like family here. Like we never want it to end. It's pretty incredible, eh? So welcome to the family! *hugs*

Swift Blitzing to you and feel free to update us with interesting Past-things you find; we love that! :mrgreen:
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

MajorDouble7

Postby MajorDouble7 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:08 pm UTC

Spoiler:

Okay, I've registered, logged in and successfully edited a small part of the Wiki, but it won't let me add my picture. Keeps giving me runtime errors...very odd. I'll keep at it, but if you find this in the past, and notice that frame 3 is still bare, please feel free to add my frame. :D

http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/OTColored

ETA: Well, it seems to have worked out...it's now up! My first OTColor frame...this calls for the Taco Dance!!

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:22 pm UTC

spOTTy wrote:Oh, hello there. I lurked so long that Time ended.

This is a blind[ish] post from page 1173. Inexplicably the page count is still going up (1312 as I write this), even though Time has sat still saying The End. What's going on out there?

I've lurked for a long time and certainly not read most of the forum. Recently I've been checking geekwagon once a week, and reading the latest few OTT pages. But this week I find it has STOPPED. So suddenly, so soon. I'm so sad.

So I've decided to (very slowly) ketchup my way through, from the map-reveal to the end of the thread. It'll take me a long time due to outside pressure - and I don't want to rush things, now that Time is (apparently) no more.

AluisioASG wrote:Blitzers: blindpost! Now! We need topics! Also, we're still here, despite what other signatures may say.

... and because, as I said, I've watched the forum count keep rising. Know that, from deep in the past, there are those thinking of you.

I hope someone sees this, though I strongly doubt I'll ever see you - by the time I reach the end of this quest, you'll all be long gone. But maybe I'll find this post again, deep in the future.

spOTTy, signing off. X

Throwing FirstPost forward. Welcome, spOTTY; we're still here in the Future Present, and I hope we'll be here in the Present Present when you catch up. (Although, by then, this post will be in the Past Present....)

...My head hurts...
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

smolloy

Postby smolloy » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:24 pm UTC

P76: The pan&zoom continues, but now it's obvious that Megan has been busy building sandcastles during her absence.

Here you can see the moment when another one of our liguistic quirks was invented! Take a bow Magnap!
Spoiler:
Magnap wrote:Phew, just caught up. By the way, i think we should rid ourselves of all Outsider-thinking by coining a new term for what They call "Sleep". The Creator himself has helped us in comic #203 to coin the new verb, "to coma", with "coma" as the present tense and "comad" as the past, and with the future tense (which all verbs need!) still to be decided.
16.288% blitzed (I can't believe it went backwards!): Wait for me!
At the moment I calculate my blitz-percentage based on the total number of newpages (which of course continues to rise). Perhaps I should base it on the number of the newpix we do not mention (1254) instead? Opinions?

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:24 pm UTC

NoPepperGames wrote:Just registered so I could drop a vanishingly-small-chance-of-being-seen note of thanks to Randall for 1190. Obviously a tremendous amount of effort and love went into creating a full, complete story in a medium that rarely allows it. Thank you.

You'll be seen now! (throwing FirstPost forward)

Welcome, NoPepperGames. Feel free to post more about your reactions to Time. How did you find out it was a continuing story?

cellocgw

Thanks for all the fish

Postby cellocgw » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:27 pm UTC

Hi there everyone. Just dropping off a little farewell note here. I'll watch the FB page for a while, but that's about it for me. Why? well, maybe...

I'm a hipster who left the OTT before it was cool.

or

I don't want to be the last one out and be responsible for shutting off the lights and locking the door.

or

It just sort of felt like the right time to do so.

Stay cool, all, and remember: wherever you go, there you are.

Carl
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

mikro2nd

Postby mikro2nd » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:30 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:It's a big sacrifice on my part, but if anyone needs someone to sample their mead, I'm glad to help out. :wink:

Can't help you with mead, but if it's Ale you're after,... all OTTers welcome to taste the One True Ale (in a few weeks... fermentation seems to be going quite slowly - it is Winter, after all!)
One world, one soul
Time pass, the river rolls

CasCat

Re: Thanks for all the fish

Postby CasCat » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:30 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:Hi there everyone. Just dropping off a little farewell note here. I'll watch the FB page for a while, but that's about it for me. Why? well, maybe...

I'm a hipster who left the OTT before it was cool.

or

I don't want to be the last one out and be responsible for shutting off the lights and locking the door.

or

It just sort of felt like the right time to do so.

Stay cool, all, and remember: wherever you go, there you are.

Carl

Where's BlitzGirl and her ropes? To the BASEMENT with you!

<just doesn't sound so authoritative coming from me. <sigh> >

Mscha: Request from my-sister-the-lurker: "could you ask mscha if there was a way to have his view have a setting to automatically darken the lightest frames of the fading, and lighten the Long night some, so it would be easier to show people the whole story?"

schwartzbewithyou

Postby schwartzbewithyou » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:32 pm UTC

Per papal decree - which I really liked! Hopefully next page pope will continue...

Redundant (sorry no kitty :/)
Spoiler:
pic2.jpg
Dracomax wrote:I've been out of school for 5 years, and I'm still trying to figure out why everyone keeps acting like I know what I'm doing.

It's something unpredictable, but in the end is right/I hope you had the time of your life.

Ace

Postby Ace » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:33 pm UTC

Sea of distractions today, but you guys scared me earlier. Reading a debate about copyright, and then I get to the bottom of the page, and there was only one more page! I haven't had a single page ketchup in forever, I thought for sure things had finally got heated, and the thread had been locked.

Still here. Whew!

I guess That Frame is the culprit, for the slow pace. Not that I'm complaining! Aaand, ninja'd by a farewell post. Yeah. That Frame.

Tried to post this three times now, new posts keep cropping up. I guess it was just slow before. Heh.
Wait for it.

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:36 pm UTC

CasCat wrote:
spOTTy wrote:Oh, hello there. I lurked so long that Time ended.

spOTTy, signing off. X

Throwing FirstPost forward. Welcome, spOTTY; we're still here in the Future Present, and I hope we'll be here in the Present Present when you catch up. (Although, by then, this post will be in the Past Present....)

...My head hurts...

It's funny to think that BlitzGirl's first post was on 214 and it seemed like such an impossible task to reach us by the 400s, and yet this person is 130 pages behind and it doesn't seem like it's that far. My how time has grown...

(not to mention all the other blitzers that are even further behind, but this one just got me thinking about it for some reason)
Last edited by jovialbard on Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:38 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:37 pm UTC

CasCat wrote:Mscha: Request from my-sister-the-lurker: "could you ask mscha if there was a way to have his view have a setting to automatically darken the lightest frames of the fading, and lighten the Long night some, so it would be easier to show people the whole story?"

Also, a box to enter a frame number to jump to would be great. I know I can enter the frame number in the URL, but I like to use my adress bar dropdown as a hidden favorites at work. Not a big deal if you don't, just a request. That or add a link in your list of frames that takes you to the Viewer. Sometimes I am searching for a frame and I know about where/when it is, but not exactly. Clicking an image link, then back, then the next link, then back, and so on in the frame list is tedious. I can jump to the viewer using the URL, but see my previous reason for desiring a jumpbox. I'd like to keep my manually entered URLs to a minimum.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:54 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:
CasCat wrote:Mscha: Request from my-sister-the-lurker: "could you ask mscha if there was a way to have his view have a setting to automatically darken the lightest frames of the fading, and lighten the Long night some, so it would be easier to show people the whole story?"

Also, a box to enter a frame number to jump to would be great. I know I can enter the frame number in the URL, but I like to use my adress bar dropdown as a hidden favorites at work. Not a big deal if you don't, just a request. That or add a link in your list of frames that takes you to the Viewer. Sometimes I am searching for a frame and I know about where/when it is, but not exactly. Clicking an image link, then back, then the next link, then back, and so on in the frame list is tedious. I can jump to the viewer using the URL, but see my previous reason for desiring a jumpbox. I'd like to keep my manually entered URLs to a minimum.

Don't want to put any pressure on mscha, but I do agree with this. I don't memorise frame numbers*, so if I want to find a specific frame I end up having to do a lot of trial and error changing the URL over and over trying to guess the number. Also, it'd be nice if the seaish list of frames was divided into eras, for the same reason. It'd make finding frames a lot easier. I appreciate your work hugely, mscha, but I tend to prefer geekwagon since it has that handy clickable grid for easy navigation.

*I'm useless at memorising numbers and dates and things. Like, if you say to me "let's meet up on the 8th of August" I'll have no idea when that is relative to now and have to look it up. But if you say "let's meet up a week on Thursday" I'll know exactly what you mean. Same here, if you say "Frame 2034" I won't have a clue, but if you say "meeting the pricklymolp" I'll know exactly what you mean.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

jowo

Postby jowo » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:56 pm UTC

Ebonite wrote:Incidentally, I replaced my Cover Photo on Facebook with a piece of my colorized frame 7, so you can see Cuegan sitting on a beach with sunset colors in the background. (Actually, most of Cuegan are obscured by my FB picture.) Interestingly, several of my FB friends have "liked" the new Cover Photo. . .even though none of those friends are OTTers, and have any clue what it is or what it refers to. None of them have asked me why my Cover Photo has stick figures in it. :-) I guess they just like the sunset colors better than what I had previously.

Same thing happened with my MOLPYUP license plate avatar (which I've now bought, by the way). Of course, perhaps I've friends who are secret OTTers....
It's about Time....

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:16 pm UTC

Just a comment to clarify the whole copyright & Creative Commons debate:

A license, like Creative Commons, is not something that is used "in lieu of Copyright", because there is not some license called "Copyright" (with a capital C) which is the default and to which other licenses (like Creative Commons) are alternatives.

A copyright is the legal claim to control who can make copies of a work; that is, to withhold or grant license (permission) to copy it. It has some built-in exceptions, things where the copyright holder does not have a right to withhold permission to copy it (like fair use), but besides those things, a copyright means that someone can only copy something when and how the copyright holder says so, with the assumption that if the copyright holder doesn't say anything at all, you can't copy at all.

A license, like Creative Commons, is the copyright holder saying when and how you can make copies of it. It only makes sense at all to have a license on something to which someone holds a copyright, because without that copyright in place nobody would need license to copy anything. There wouldn't be any restrictions on copying. A license is a specific exercise of copyright, it is not something used in place of it.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”