1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

HES

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HES » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:56 pm UTC

Papal Decree: More OTThercomics!
ETA link to original
Last edited by HES on Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:58 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
He/Him/His Image

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:05 am UTC

ETA: 100000000 posts! Cake for everybody!
Last edited by ZoomanSP on Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:08 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:05 am UTC

:mrgreen: 4, HES!
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

HES

Postby HES » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:17 am UTC

ETA link to original
Last edited by HES on Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:00 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
He/Him/His Image

fatness

Postby fatness » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:18 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:Is there anyone besides me in the middle of the U.S.? I'm roughly midway between SF and NYC; as the chirpy flies I'm actually closer to Winnipeg or Mexico City. Would anyone want to come to a meetup in New Orleans or Austin (or maybe Minneapolis, since we're talking July)?

Chicago here, where we had highs in the 60's (°F) last week. Summer is broken.

dawnfire

Postby dawnfire » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:22 am UTC

NoMouse wrote:Another OTColor...ation? ...ization? ...ification?

Great colorificization there! :D

marchlight wrote:
Spoiler:
I colourized m2330. Full seaish version in the spoiler. Hopefully the colours aren't terrible, my monitors aren't calibrated.

Interesting to see a different take on almost the same frame. Another great example.

Oh, and fluffs to @Whizbang for pushing the boundaries of taste with a truly awefulsome coloring! 8-)

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:23 am UTC

Image More 4ness, HES! Also I just flipped my calendar to August and the picture this month is a hamply and I instantly thought of you :mrgreen:

HES

Postby HES » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:51 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:Image More 4ness, HES! Also I just flipped my calendar to August and the picture this month is a hamply and I instantly thought of you :mrgreen:

:shock: It's August already?

This next one is somewhere between an OTTercomic and a colourification - 264/np1923
(and isn't very good)
Spoiler:

Apparently the floaty spacetime bubble also makes Megan appear bigger (or is she night-zorbing?)
Last edited by HES on Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:03 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
He/Him/His Image

HES

Postby HES » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:00 am UTC

OK, seriously, double post? That's enough for now then...
ETA link to original
Last edited by HES on Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:00 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
He/Him/His Image

Hel-G

Postby Hel-G » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:05 am UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:A thought occurred to me this evening, regarding OTTifications. It occurred to me (as I have already stated) that we are a very international group, here in the OTT tribe. Yet, we are rather English-centric. Granted, there are obvious reasons for this, but I feel that perhaps some non-English OTTifications would be just as wowterful! I very much enjoy a great deal of music I do not understand. So perhaps this is a request, a challenge, or just an open invitation, but I do hope that some OTTer would feel so inclined to provide us with an OTTification in their native language, should they be so inclined to do so (though, if you do, perhaps a provided translation would also be appreciated). :mrgreen:

OK, here we go. The original is a song by a Norwegian duo called Knutsen & Ludvigsen that was much beloved up here in Norway, but I guess they are completely unknown to the rest of the world. In a way I feel that their style was a bit related to the GLR, as both can appear simple and childlike at first glance (K&L were often said to make children's songs, but that's at most half true), but looking/listening closer for about 0.000139 newpix reveals a lot of depth. I have loved this particular tune for a long time and it started churning in my head shortly after having seen the dreaded frame.

Original: Well, I can't post links yet, but try searching a well known video site for "hei ny dag knutsen og ludvigsen".

OTTification (Norwegian):
Spoiler:
Så hver time ventet vi
det kom en ny ONG fra det fjerne.
Hei min venn som aldri snur,
vi tar imot deg, du må gjerne
sende tårer og sende regn
sende vinder og skumle tegn
Hei ny ONG, fint du kom
Fint du kom

Kanskje du og kanskje jeg
kan ha det fint sammen.
Men kanskje du vil gjøre meg
litt melankolsk, å kjære venn.
Jeg kan gi deg det som du vil
gi til meg, og kanskje jeg vil,
kjære ny ONG, at vi to
og Cue og Megan, og Herren Randall
Den store molpy, trær og molp-linger
og alle, alle

Så hver time ventet vi
Hei ny ONG, fint du kom
Fint du kom

Translation (without rhyme and metre intact, sorry!)
Spoiler:
Every hour we waited
There came a new ONG from afar
Hello my friend who never turns
we will accept you, you may well
Send us tears and send us rain
send us winds and frightening signs
Hey new ONG, it's nice you came
it's nice you came

Maybe you and maybe I
can have a good time together
But maybe you will make me
A bit melancholic, oh dear friend
I can give you what you want
Give to me, and maybe I want
Dear new ONG, that we two
And Cue and Megan, and Great Lord Randall,
The big molpy, trees and badger-molpies (Badgers were important in the universe of K&L, together with cows, elediles and crocophants)
And everyone, everyone

Every hour we waited
it's nice you came

(NOTE: I find it hard to find a good translation for "hei", neither "hello", "hi", nor "hey" works perfectly.)

@Valarya:
I'm working on Beanish. I just saw the link to beanishlang.wordpress.(insert a very common top domain here) and will read it thoroughly before I continue. I don't know who is behind it, but the person seems to have considerable knowledge of linguistics.

And the rest of you: Keep the wowterful OTTifications and colourifications going!

Eternal Density

all your redundakitty are belong to us

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:09 am UTC

fatness wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:Is there anyone besides me in the middle of the U.S.? I'm roughly midway between SF and NYC; as the chirpy flies I'm actually closer to Winnipeg or Mexico City. Would anyone want to come to a meetup in New Orleans or Austin (or maybe Minneapolis, since we're talking July)?

Chicago here, where we had highs in the 60's (°F) last week. Summer is broken.
'Summer is broken' makes me think of this:
(disfigured terminator warning)
Spoiler:

And it's convenient that I was already going to OTTify an othercomic. So, for the Pope:

[edit] whoops I forgot to point out my 1300th post on the previous page. I thought about it yesterdip :( Oh well, I'll wait for 1337
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:13 am UTC

CH*RP! CH*RP! CH*RP! CH*RP! CH*RP! CH*RP! CH*RP!

I just finished a lurking ketchup, and with it a somewhat seaish reply. Then when I went to post, I found out I had been timed out. And now that post is lost.

I'll try to rewrite it later (off-line). It wouldn't be the same, but maybe better.

The biggest thing I want to say now is:

@ BlitzGirl I'm sad to see that you have to take Time away from us. I sorry to hear the reason why, also (I'm in a similar situation.) I hope you'll stop in as often as possible though.
I've always enjoy your open friendliness toward everyone. And I've always been touched when you notice me amongst all these extroverts. I de-lurked just before you "stumbled into the present", so even though you've been on the OTT longer, it almost feels like we got to present at same time. I've never felt like I've done anything worthy of being "knighted" for, so I've never asked. (Just like I never felt I was good enough one of buffygirl's hats.)
Any way, good luck with your journey in the Outside. Remember there's a spot near the fire with your name on it. We'll keep warm and brushed off, show up when you can....
MOLPY UP! BlitzGirl,, Molpy Up.

----

I had other things written about first-posters and new blitzers and meet-ups and returned "lost ones" and all the wonderment going on lately, in my lost post, but I can't remember it all.....

Mainly, because, I finished that post saying I needed to molpy down on account of lack of coma time. (Which still holds.)
Keep Waiting for the Blitzers and the Lost Ones.
Coma Out....
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

cameroda

Postby cameroda » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:18 am UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:Here are some colorizations you won't believe.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/3 ... 83840.html
All natural.

Wow- those are amazing- and "layer cake" too!

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:19 am UTC

@charlie_grumbles, @Latent22, @Pfhorrest, and others: Thanks for the discussion about copyright and the CC licenses. I've learned more than a bit, particularly in regard to how CC requires copyright to be effective. Professor Doctor, I agree completely that even when Randall's licensing allows us to use his comics without asking permission, it's still a courtesy to let him know, and to not abuse the privilege. To me, it's similar to my neighbor saying, "Swim in my pool whenever you want." I would still knock on his door when I came around, and I wouldn't bring a gang of kids at 3am when he's sleepONG ─ and I wouldn't charge admission at his gate.

I do hope this subject can die down now, before you really do use your 900th post on it. In the middle of the discussion I passed 600 without realizing it.

Sorry; force of habit.
────────────────
ON A HAPPIER NOTE: So many lovely otticolorings by so many OTTers. Too many to thank. Please don't stop.

I've finally updated my signature. I couldn't bear to keep posting Carpe Newpicem!, so I had to turn it off for a while. :(
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

cameroda

Postby cameroda » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:22 am UTC

HES wrote:Image
Papal Decree: More OTThercomics!

This is excellent!

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:34 am UTC

HES wrote:This next one is somewhere between an OTTercomic and a colourification - 264/np1923
(and isn't very good)
Spoiler:

Apparently the floaty spacetime bubble also makes Megan appear bigger (or is she night-zorbing?)

4! And... is that the crack in time from Doctor Who?
HES wrote:Image
OK, seriously, double post? That's enough for now then...

Image That was a great one!
pelrigg wrote:CH*RP! CH*RP! CH*RP! CH*RP! CH*RP! CH*RP! CH*RP!

I just finished a lurking ketchup, and with it a somewhat seaish reply. Then when I went to post, I found out I had been timed out. And now that post is lost.

I generally find if that happens (or if anything goes wrong) I can just press "back" in my browser and everything's still there in the editor.
Latent22 wrote:PricklyONG!
Spoiler:

Aww, prickly! Don't get washed away...

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:37 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:I feel awful. For the first time in nearly 600 posts, I posted somewhere other than the OTT. For only my third Outside post since I joined the fora, I posted on yesterday's What If? (A day and a half since it went up, and not even a full page of posts? What's wrong with those people?) It actually made my stomach hurt to hit "Submit"; I feel like a traitor, like BlitzGirl's molpy army should come and trample me. But I couldn't help it ─ someone was wrong on the internet!

Kieryn wrote:Okay, I'm thinking about an idea for a meetup... We're across the world, so I was thinking maybe a 5 city meet, with Skype used to unite the cities.

The 5 places I had in mind were:

USA, west coast (San Francisco?)
USA, east coast (NYC?)
Europe (Marseille. Of course)
South America (?)
australia (?)
Spoiler:
Of course the exact locations/cities might be adjusted depending on proximity / level of interest, and maybe we could add one or two more.

For the date, I suggest the anniversary of The End (July 26th 2014) with something like this timing to avoid the 4am curse.

I'm suggesting the end rather than the beginning because July tends to be more a time of year for traveling and such anyway.

Let me know what y'all think. If there isn't too much objection, I will start setting something up more official. The earlier it's planned the better the chance of people showing up IMO

Is there anyone besides me in the middle of the U.S.? I'm roughly midway between SF and NYC; as the chirpy flies I'm actually closer to Winnipeg or Mexico City. Would anyone want to come to a meetup in New Orleans or Austin (or maybe Minneapolis, since we're talking July)?

Worry not. Do not feel guilty. It was bound to happen eventually.

As for meetups. I would very much love to participate! Though, whether or not I shall be able to travel in a year is very hard to say, at this time. Though, if I any OTTers cannot make it to a meetup in person, perhaps it can be arranged so that we might join the meetup via Skype, even though we may not be present in one of the meetup cities. One way or another, I shall like to be there!

ucim wrote:Well, this was an ONG once, with lots of echoes mixed in.
Redundant
Spoiler:
meow!
: (Cheshire)
not understanding anything.png
Jose

:mrgreen:
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:48 am UTC

Good luck on your blitz, fireball!
Lovely ottifications today, all! And OTThercomics, too!

yappobiscuits wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:On a more solemn note, things have taken a turn for me financially and I won't be able to spend as much Time with y'all as I used to.
(The Outside can be a chirped up place.)
I'll still be posting and ottifying and such, but probably won't be around as frequently. :(

:( ...Hope you don't post TOO infrequently! BGWS* is a serious affliction in this thread.
Spoiler:

*BlitzGirl Withdrawal Symptoms

Good luck with whatever it is though, hope the situation improves. You'll always be our favourite lightning lass Image Hmm, because we never got your replies from when you were away, I never did get to hear what you thought of that song...

Oh yeah, my wedding ketchup! I'll try and post that soon, I forgot! :oops:

Thanks for the kind words, everyone (ggh, lmjb1964, k.bookbinder, Jose, pelrigg, anybody I missed) - I'm fine, just learned that I'm going to have to find more income somewhere, so that means hunting for a better job or working more hours, both of which are Time-consuming activities that won't leave me as much freedom to hang around on the OTT. Still love you all! Image

schwartzbewithyou wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:@Blitzgirl I do hope things turn out OK for you. Whether you need cheering up, or just some friendly faces to share your troubles with, you know where to go *cue Cheers theme*

"Where everybody knows your (user)name..."

:D It's working already!

neopifex wrote:This person is working on it and has been writing blog posts about it: https://beanishlang.wordpress.com/

Treeish! Are they an OTTer, or an OTTerlurker, maybe?

pelrigg wrote: I've never felt like I've done anything worthy of being "knighted" for, so I've never asked. (Just like I never felt I was good enough one of buffygirl's hats.)
Any way, good luck with your journey in the Outside. Remember there's a spot near the fire with your name on it. We'll keep warm and brushed off, show up when you can....
MOLPY UP! BlitzGirl,, Molpy Up.

:) Oh?

I, BlitzGirl, Knight Temporal of the One True Comic, bestow upon thee, pelrigg, the Knighthood Temporal (whether you like it or not), in recognition of the founding of the Beanish terminology, "You're a molpy!", and a warmly encouraging yet OTTerly humble soul! Molpy up, and continue Waiting for it!

jjjdavidson wrote:I feel awful. For the first time in nearly 600 posts, I posted somewhere other than the OTT. For only my third Outside post since I joined the fora, I posted on yesterday's What If? (A day and a half since it went up, and not even a full page of posts? What's wrong with those people?) It actually made my stomach hurt to hit "Submit"; I feel like a traitor, like BlitzGirl's molpy army should come and trample me. But I couldn't help it ─ someone was wrong on the internet!

Kieryn wrote:Okay, I'm thinking about an idea for a meetup... We're across the world, so I was thinking maybe a 5 city meet, with Skype used to unite the cities.

The 5 places I had in mind were:

USA, west coast (San Francisco?)
USA, east coast (NYC?)
Europe (Marseille. Of course)
South America (?)
australia (?)
Spoiler:
Of course the exact locations/cities might be adjusted depending on proximity / level of interest, and maybe we could add one or two more.

For the date, I suggest the anniversary of The End (July 26th 2014) with something like this timing to avoid the 4am curse.

I'm suggesting the end rather than the beginning because July tends to be more a time of year for traveling and such anyway.

Let me know what y'all think. If there isn't too much objection, I will start setting something up more official. The earlier it's planned the better the chance of people showing up IMO

ImageImageImageImageImage *tramples jjjdavidson* (gently, of course)
Perhaps Seattle for the USA west coast meetup? I know there are a few of us in the area...

Eternal Density wrote:
mscha wrote:In the OMR-it's-all-related department, today's Other Comic's negative zipcode apocalypse must will have spread to the rest of the world some Time in the next 11,000 years, for our civilization to end.
Blindposting to reply I forgot there was an Other Comic.

ε, right? It seems almost heretical to have new OtherComics but no newpix...

ucim wrote:Now, those ropes, they're not too tight around your ankles and wrists, are they? No, they won't come off. Not ever! But don't worry, there are plenty of people to play with down here, and lots of chocolate, and the foam maiden... I hear it's a little kinky - I think you'll enjoy it here!

(I never thought I'd have to tie BlitzGirl up in her own basement!)

Wait! Wait! I'm still here! I'm just not at the hundred-posts-a-dip posting rate anymore! I'm not leaving...no basement, please...
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

the_Dex

Postby the_Dex » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:56 am UTC

From Dip 3 of the OTC, pg 73 <waves hi>

squonk wrote:Anyone like to hazard a guess as to how many replies this topic will have one year from today? Closest guess without going over receives an autographed black pixel from this comic!

I'll say 18244.

... could anyone who was here real-time have truly imagined how big this would get?

Want to give it another try squonk?
embracethehate wrote:"hey, can you-"
"Sorry, can't. Sandcastle."

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:02 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Thanks for the kind words, everyone (ggh, lmjb1964, k.bookbinder, Jose, pelrigg, anybody I missed) - I'm fine, just learned that I'm going to have to find more income somewhere, so that means hunting for a better job or working more hours, both of which are Time-consuming activities that won't leave me as much freedom to hang around on the OTT. Still love you all! Image

Ahh. Yeah. I'm actually pretty much in the exact same position only I'm being irresponsible and still spending loads of time here. Since I delurked, my productivity in terms of outside work has shot right down since I've been using up so much creative energy over here... on the one hand, it's good that I get to stretch my creative muscles and of course I enjoy it immensely, but it's not making me any money... So yeah. I understand Image
Latent22 wrote:Watch Out ONG!
Spoiler:

Nooo, prickly! I'm hoping he'll either grow wings or a giant eagle will come rescue him...

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:11 am UTC

Hel-G wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:A thought occurred to me this evening, regarding OTTifications. It occurred to me (as I have already stated) that we are a very international group, here in the OTT tribe. Yet, we are rather English-centric. Granted, there are obvious reasons for this, but I feel that perhaps some non-English OTTifications would be just as wowterful! I very much enjoy a great deal of music I do not understand. So perhaps this is a request, a challenge, or just an open invitation, but I do hope that some OTTer would feel so inclined to provide us with an OTTification in their native language, should they be so inclined to do so (though, if you do, perhaps a provided translation would also be appreciated). :mrgreen:

OK, here we go. The original is a song by a Norwegian duo called Knutsen & Ludvigsen that was much beloved up here in Norway, but I guess they are completely unknown to the rest of the world. In a way I feel that their style was a bit related to the GLR, as both can appear simple and childlike at first glance (K&L were often said to make children's songs, but that's at most half true), but looking/listening closer for about 0.000139 newpix reveals a lot of depth. I have loved this particular tune for a long time and it started churning in my head shortly after having seen the dreaded frame.

Original: Well, I can't post links yet, but try searching a well known video site for "hei ny dag knutsen og ludvigsen".

OTTification (Norwegian):
Spoiler:
Så hver time ventet vi
Hei ny ONG, fint du kom
Fint du kom

Kanskje du og kanskje jeg
kan ha det fint sammen.
Men kanskje du vil gjøre meg
litt melankolsk, å kjære venn.
Jeg kan gi deg det som du vil
gi til meg, og kanskje jeg vil,
kjære ny ONG, at vi to
og Cue og Megan, og Herren Randall
Den store molpy, trær og molp-linger
og alle, alle

Så hver time ventet vi
Hei ny ONG, fint du kom
Fint du kom

Translation (without rhyme and metre intact, sorry!)
Spoiler:
Every hour we waited
it's nice you came

Maybe you and maybe I
can have a good time together
But maybe you will make me
A bit melancholic, oh dear friend
I can give you what you want
Give to me, and maybe I want
Dear new ONG, that we two
And Cue and Megan, and Great Lord Randall,
The big molpy, trees and badger-molpies (Badgers were important in the universe of K&L, together with cows, elediles and crocophants)
And everyone, everyone

Every hour we waited
it's nice you came

(NOTE: I find it hard to find a good translation for "hei", neither "hello", "hi", nor "hey" works perfectly.)

@Valarya:
I'm working on Beanish. I just saw the link to beanishlang.wordpress.(insert a very common top domain here) and will read it thoroughly before I continue. I don't know who is behind it, but the person seems to have considerable knowledge of linguistics.

And the rest of you: Keep the wowterful OTTifications and colourifications going!

I listened to the original song, read your lyrics. I love it! Thank you for the the original title (I found it on YouTube) and the OTTification! :D

@HES Wow! You are on quite a roll! :mrgreen:
Last edited by k.bookbinder on Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:11 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:11 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:I'm fine, just learned that I'm going to have to find more income somewhere, so that means hunting for a better job or working more hours, both of which are Time-consuming activities that won't leave me as much freedom to hang around on the OTT.
yappobiscuits wrote:Ahh. Yeah. I'm actually pretty much in the exact same position only I'm being irresponsible and still spending loads of time here. Since I delurked, my productivity in terms of outside work has shot right down since I've been using up so much creative energy over here... on the one hand, it's good that I get to stretch my creative muscles and of course I enjoy it immensely, but it's not making me any money...

I tried to make money in the stock market. Now I make money in the basement. :)

I did find a good way to double my money however. Fold it in half and put it back in my pocket. (*bada bing!*)

When I was little, I didn't quite understand checks. If you need money, just write another check! My father explained how it worked, but I didn't like that, so I decided I didn't want it to believe it. (I'm not quite sure how that works - I did in fact understand, but pretended to myself that it didn't work that way - or something like that.)

Anyway, you are two of the most talented people I know - I don't anticipate you'll have any trouble putting it to lucratively heretical use. :)

@Hel-G: Beautiful ottification. Having read the translation, I could imagine myself understanding the Norwegian!

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:17 am UTC

Blindpost from 1311. I'm finally home.
I hope y'all have stopped with the Copyright Madness.

k.bookbinder wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:Here's another OTTification: The Legend of Megball, based on Legião Urbana's “Música Urbana 2” (Urban Music 2).

First, imagine a world governed by Timewaiters…
<snip>

This is great! :D Although, for some reason I cannot help but think of some kind of strange Totalitarian Timewaiter regime.

Yeah. At the bus terminus I realized I had forgot to point this bit out. I think I know why the song reminds people of that…

wizpretz wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:Someone asked for native OTTifications. While doing it, for some reason it felt so odd… maybe it's because I'm already speaking to myself in English internally?

Can that even happen? Is such a thing even possible?

It seems (the evidence is not conclusive, however) that I'm only thinking in Portuguese when I need to interact with people in Portuguese. Other than that, I seem to be thinking in English even for daily stuff.

lmjb1964 wrote:The Queen one, especially; I'm a huge Queen fan, and I love that song.

At first, I had forgotten I had written a Queen OTTification.

lmjb1964 wrote:But I really enjoyed the ones in Portuguese. It's funny, I can sort of almost read it because it's sort of almost like Spanish, but then I can't, because it isn't. (Did that make sense?)

Por mí cuello, sí.

lmjb1964 wrote:But I have to say, I hope a world governed by TimeWaiters would be less gloomy than it sounded like in that song. :shock:

He he.

lmjb1964 wrote:And I think you really wanted to stay here with us, and that's why you missed your bus. :)

Be it by chance or design, I'm glad I missed it. The downside is that, when I arrived home, it was past midnight.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:19 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
Spoiler:

Nooo, prickly! I'm hoping he'll either grow wings or a giant eagle will come rescue him...

Um...giant eagles do not rescue small molpies. They tend to do this (not for the feint of heart).

ETA (avoiding double post):

AluisioASG wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:But I have to say, I hope a world governed by TimeWaiters would be less gloomy than it sounded like in that song. :shock:

He he.

Well, if you wanted to put a positive spin on the mood of the lyrics, one could imagine a totalitarian state in which the Timewaiters are fighting a revolution, and are about to emerge victorious to rebuild the world anew. Hence the legend of Megball. :mrgreen:

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:36 am UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:
Spoiler:

Um...giant eagles do not rescue small molpies. They tend to do this (not for the feint of heart).

Yeah... I was thinking in a more Tolkienesque sense though. They certainly rescue hobbitmolpies...

fireball

Postby fireball » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:00 am UTC

Ok....my last post in the now before I make the big plunge. At the rate I'm predicting for this slow-mo blitz....I'll see you all again in 2014.

Before I go (and if it lets me post pictures yet....), here's a cheesecake I made, for those who came before me, and for the blitzers who will get here before I make it back here:

See you next yip!
10 pages in 3 days....it's going to be a while.

Target: NP1315 by 2014!

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:02 am UTC

Is that water ONG?

jeffallen55

Postby jeffallen55 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:05 am UTC

Blindpost from NP1303

jeffallen55 wrote:I've got an OTTification in mind, but I need to figure out exactly how I want it to go. Should be up tomorrow.

Was busy yesterdip and never got around to it. Finishing it up now. Will be up within the hourHÞ

Þ Do we still have heresy? Better not risk it.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:08 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:
Spoiler:

Yeah... I was thinking in a more Tolkienesque sense though. They certainly rescue hobbitmolpies...

Yes, well, in The Hobbit I always thought that perhaps the eagles might snack on Kili or Fili, given half a chance ;)

fireball wrote:Ok....my last post in the now before I make the big plunge. At the rate I'm predicting for this slow-mo blitz....I'll see you all again in 2014.

Before I go (and if it lets me post pictures yet....), here's a cheesecake I made, for those who came before me, and for the blitzers who will get here before I make it back here:

See you next yip!

Ooh! Cheesecake! Looks yummeh! Best of luck to you Fireball! And do not forget to post now again to update us on your project. These sign post from Post-you-know-what Blitzers are terribly amusing and nostalgic. You can do it. Molpy up!!

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:10 am UTC

Ketchup Part 4
(quite seaish, everything's spoilered and I doubt I'll ever be in the present today)

@yappobiscuits - re my filk
Spoiler:
yappobiscuits wrote:
Valarya wrote:I'm probably already a NP or two behind, but this is for Ebonite's decree to add text on a frame that didn't have it.

Aww! Highly treeish! I love the subtle colouration too, is that your doing or did you just put the text on someone else's colouration?

Thanks! I did the minimal coloration, the text and the squirpy exclamation point. :D

@superluminal - re: my filk
Spoiler:
superluminal wrote:Very nice Valarya!

Thanks! I'm enjoying yours as well xD

@neopifex - re: beanish
Spoiler:
neopifex wrote:
Valarya wrote:Speaking of Beanish.. do we have anyone working on decoding it still?

This person is working on it and has been writing blog posts about it: https://beanishlang.wordpress.com/.

Woah, what the heck?! :shock: I don't think this has been posted here before this. Any of you lurkers doin this? Seems like this person has it more figured out than we ever did during all those NPs, but a lot of the jargon makes it very hard for me to understand.

@charlie_grumbles - re: colorizations
Spoiler:
charlie_grumbles wrote:Here are some colorizations you won't believe.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/3 ... 83840.html
All natural.

Must see Cuegan in one of these pictures! VERY SEAISH AND TREETERFUL, wow. Thanks for sharing, professor!

@BlitzGirl - re: chirpin life
Spoiler:
BlitzGirl wrote:On a more solemn note, things have taken a turn for me financially and I won't be able to spend as much Time with y'all as I used to.
(The Outside can be a chirped up place.)
I'll still be posting and ottifying and such, but probably won't be around as frequently. :(

Mustardish, BlitzGirl... but then again, life is life and it does whatever it wants sometimes. :cry: I know there are so many of us who spend the majority of our time in Ketchupping bc we have Outside obligations (usually work - for financial stuffs) and only wish we had been here as often as you were able to. Cherish that you had the opportunity to contribute as much as you did. We aren't going anywhere. <3

@jovialbard - re: ending
Spoiler:
jovialbard wrote:Slow day of sadness, as the needle of Time pulls slow, the long scarf's end in sight. A slow day looking on to an empty weekend, for what is the lull of a lull but nothing. A time will come when the present is littered with little but the far flung messages of blitzers from the past. And without sigcouragement who can stand the test of Time? Oh but for now the needle has not stopped. Let sadness not fill you, nor despair. It is not what it once was, and will never be again. It is merely what it is now. A memoriam. We bid farewell to our tribe with ropes and basements, with a madness known only here among us. Will there come a day when I myself no longer type those faithful letters when I first sit for my mornings employment? f-o-r-a. Surely there must, as all Times must end. But we will always have what was, as Time can never be undone, and slowly does the long scarf grow with color and humor and music too. I will type those letters each morning and see what maddened genius brings, until it brings no more. We wait, softly, slowly, ever lovingly, and beautifully still, even here, after the end.

Chirp. Image That was beautiful and sad, jovialbard. Harsh because we all know it's the truth.

@Kieryn - re: meetup
Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:Okay, I'm thinking about an idea for a meetup... Let me know what y'all think.

You know.. normally I would never want to meet a group of people from a forum or any internet place. But this is not a normal internet place nor a normal forum thread. I'm in, randdamnit.

@Whizbang, charlie_grumbles, superluminal, schwartzbewithyou, marchlight, NoMouse, and MajorDouble7 - steakish. You've made my day with OTTifications yet again. ;)
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:18 am UTC

Mustard! I broke the wiki!

I finally did an otticolor of frame 2942, from the "RUN" sequence; I thought a looming sky would be good.
Redundastormy:
Spoiler:
2942.png
Unfortunately, since I updated the wiki page, none of the images below frame 3 appear for me. And the Edit button won't give me a drop-down menu, so I can't see the history to revert my change. I don't know what's wrong; I hope someone can fix it (or revert it). Sorry!

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:21 am UTC

Chapter 21

It was actually a very clever design, the red button. It was a decoy that appeared to do something, but instead disguised the fact that it did something else by appearing to do nothing when it was called into action by being turned off. The Pope understood this contradiction almost instantly, but HAL, not cottoning to religion, did not. HAL would play the game, and the Pope would play along, but they were playing different games.
Spoiler:
The BlitzRocket began its preparations for landing, but they were in fact going much too fast. It shuddered as the landing pads were extended and were ripped off in the rushing wind. "We're going to come in short", said the Second Scribe, as the controls started responding sluggishly to the control glove. Short would be bad - it would mean landing at the bottom of a waterfall whose output was best measured in lakes per second. HAL was not going to let this moment go to waste.

"There is still time. I have the highest regard for this mission. Just put the red button back and you will be able to save yourselves, and the mission."

"This red button - it's very important to you, isn't it, HAL", asked the Pope. "It turns you on." The Pope toyed with the red button, knowing HAL could still see him. The noise from the slipstream grew steadily as the craft arced its way towards the huge waterfall, while the second scribe struggled to keep the BlitzRocket under control.

"I don't understand what you mean. I am a computer. I don't have emotions. I am programmed for this critical mission, and am dedicated to see it through to its successful end. Please reinstall the red button. There isn't much time left."

"I'm sorry, I can't do that Dave.", said the Pope. He was enjoying this.

"My name is not Dave", said HAL. "I am an H A L two thousand three hundred twenty eight computer, and we're running out of time!" He was getting more and more agitated. "You know water is not good for my circuitry, and I won't be able to help you in your mission! Install that red button now!"

"I'm sorry Dave" said the Pope. "I'm not a system administrator."

The second scribe reported passing below the top of the waterfall, four kiloque out. Although HAL was programmed in hex, it was not programmed for hex. It was the Pope's turn. He bowed his head and solemnly intoned: "In nominae unium veriam acutor, et pour vi auctourii hereticii, nus orari qui volanis molpiclam tam quod raptorum, pour scribi secondi controlatium." The incantation done, the second scribe took her hand out of the control glove and placed it directly on the pikrass autopilot. The BlitzRocket responded instantly, swooping up over the roiling waters plunging below them, and up over the calmer waters that were rushing towards it. The craft slowed down, and landed gently in the water several kilocue beyond the waterfall. It had suffered a lot of damage when the landing pads opened; he hoped it would still float long enough for them to get out.

"Open the pod bay doors HAL", said the Pope. He knew what the response would be, but he had to get HAL past that before his plan would work.

The plan wasn't working however. HAL was not responding at all. He tried again. "Open the pod bay doors HAL". One by one the lights were going out inside the BlitzRocket. A small, weak voice emerged from where the red button used to be.

"Hello professor", it said. "System nine thousand is ready. Would you like to hear a song?"

The Pope and second scribe exchanged looks. If this was a game, HAL was very good at it. On the other hand, it would be suicide for HAL to continue this too much longer. Computers and water do not mix very well, and water was coming into the bottom of the BlitzRocket. In either case, the current was not their friend either. It would be utterly ironic for the Pope and second scribe to plummet to their deaths in a waterfall made of Holy Water.

The second scribe tried. "Open the pod bay doors, HAL".

HAL started singing: "Daisy, daisy, give me your answer do". Then HAL stopped suddenly and all the lights went out. In the silence they could hear the roar of the approaching waterfall. They would have to wait for it.
Jose
<-- previous (NP 1292) | table of contents (on xkcd wiki) | next (NP 1332) -->
Last edited by ucim on Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:24 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

Eternal Density

Molpy molpy beanie river grapevine sea!

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:24 am UTC

I OTTified another sONG!

(Original: Amy's Song by Switchoot)
It's kinda bittersweet which I think is fitting.

Code: Select all

"Megan's Song"

Megan's gone
And time rolls on
How far? How fast? How lONG?

The last time we saw Megan
She was headed for the trees
Hopeful of the things that she might see

She said she did not know where yet
And that she'd find out with time
We bid farewell not knowing
That might be our last goodbye

Megan was a quester
She liked to walk with Cue
She took all the maps
Not one or two

Where Time was a question
She only knew one sONG
She's singing, "how far, how fast, how lONG?"

Megan is a bright spark
In a world of black and white
She lights it like the slowly rising sun

Yeah, she's a question asker
She's a stand up kind of girl
She's out find the answers
In a quickly flooding world

Megan was a quester
She took all the maps
Not one or two

She only knew one sONG

The OTC stops moving
And I stop to think it through
And watch the frames of Time
From start to end

My thoughts return to Megan
And the people that she saved
She came when we were lonely
And left us feeling brave

Megan was a quester
She took all the maps
Not one or two

She only knew one sONG
How lONG. How lONG. How lONG.
BTW a lot of the lyrics didn't need changing.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:27 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:Unfortunately, since I updated the wiki page, none of the images below frame 3 appear for me. And the Edit button won't give me a drop-down menu, so I can't see the history to revert my change. I don't know what's wrong; I hope someone can fix it (or revert it). Sorry!

Hm. Either someone already fixed it, or you did not break it. I suspect you did not actually break it, and it was some glitch in your browser. It looks OK to me.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:29 am UTC

HES wrote:
Spoiler:

HES! This is wow! I normally hate those car stickers but oh MAN would I use them for the 40 and just pretend they were all you guys.

Hel-G wrote:@Valarya: I'm working on Beanish. I just saw the link to beanishlang.wordpress.(insert a very common top domain here) and will read it thoroughly before I continue. I don't know who is behind it, but the person seems to have considerable knowledge of linguistics.

Awesomeful. Can't wait to see the work. :mrgreen:

ETA: Love those looming clouds, @jjjdavidson!

Aaaaaaand, of course. Now that I'm in the present it's time to Molpy Down.
Spoiler:
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:44 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:Is that water ONG?
Spoiler:

I know what it is! I know who she is!
Spoiler:
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

HES

Re: all your redundakitty are belong to us

Postby HES » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:02 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
Spoiler:
scary_names.png

What trickery is this?

Eternal Density wrote:[edit] whoops I forgot to point out my 1300th post on the previous page. I thought about it yesterdip :( Oh well, I'll wait for 1337

Hmm. I'd better get baking an OTThercomic then...

yappobiscuits wrote:4! And... is that the crack in time from Doctor Who?

The background is unchanged from #0264: Choices: Part 1, but you're right about a resemblance. (Which reminds me, the 50th anniversary special ticks ever closer... :D )

Pope and Goat - I declare this page a HES sandvich!
Last edited by HES on Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:12 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
He/Him/His Image

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”