1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ggh

Re: Too many tabs: Part 1

Postby ggh » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:17 am UTC

Slinches - I love your epilogue visualization! There is so much going on in there....

HES wrote:Despite being "reckless twenties young", my alcohol consumption is pretty low too. I don't "not drink", I just don't really drink. (I actually drink most when at my parents. Molpy that mustard out.)

"Molpy that mustard out." The pope asks you to use that phrase in your post if you are so inclined.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

k.bookbinder

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby k.bookbinder » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:20 am UTC

Hm, I do believe I have missed something. That is the second time someone has mentioned AlusioASG in conjunction with a map.

Oh well. I shall discover the connection in the mornix. Keep the faith, all, and OTTify it.

OTTify it...
OTTify it...
OTTify it...
OTTify it...
OTTify it...

Molpy down!
Spoiler:
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:30 am UTC

KOBONG...

-- posted by newpixbot
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:30 am UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:Hm, I do believe I have missed something. That is the second time someone has mentioned AlusioASG in conjunction with a map.

The map is one of my sometimey projects.
Meanwhile, it's funny that lots of people voted on the poll, but so far I've only gotten 2 messages.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Eternal Density

castlONG

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:34 am UTC

And lo, the number of pages in the needle-pulled-thing reached the total of one hundred and forty-four tens.
And ED did discover that in Chrome, cookies don't work locally, which slowed testing a bit. But the basics of loading are working now :D I just need to make it load what you've bought from the shop, and refresh some states to ensure it loads the right image and such...
AluisioASG wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:Hm, I do believe I have missed something. That is the second time someone has mentioned AlusioASG in conjunction with a map.

The map is one of my sometimey projects.
Meanwhile, it's funny that lots of people voted on the poll, but so far I've only gotten 2 messages.

Wait for it... (sorry I'm a bit distracted noticing my javascript)
Last edited by Eternal Density on Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:39 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:36 am UTC

Oh well. I shall discover the connection in the mornix. Keep the faith, all, and OTTify it.

OTTify it...
OTTify it...
OTTify it...
OTTify it...
OTTify it...

Molpy down!
Spoiler:

AluisioASG is making a map of the Lands of the Timewaiters, with different lands corresponding to forum users having different appearances.

On a completely unrelated note, today I learned that radiation is actually bright blue. TMYK!

AluisioASG

Re: castlONG

Postby AluisioASG » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:38 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:And ED did discover that in Chrome, cookies don't work locally, which slowed testing a bit. But the basics of loading are working now :D I just need to make it load what you've bought from the shop, and refresh some states to ensure it loads the right image and such…

Why c**SAMSUNGkies when you could use localStorage?
Selecting new quote…

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:40 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:On a completely unrelated note, today I learned that radiation is actually bright blue. TMYK!

You're welcome. Now to find out which shade of blue is Cherenkov blue…
Selecting new quote…

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:40 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:And ED did discover that in Chrome, cookies don't work locally, which slowed testing a bit. But the basics of loading are working now :D I just need to make it load what you've bought from the shop, and refresh some states to ensure it loads the right image and such…

I don't understand what you mean by localStorage.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:50 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:

I don't understand what you mean by localStorage.

Nevermind. The Chromium folks are doing the opposite of the rest of the world once again.
Selecting new quote…

Eternal Density

W**T

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:04 am UTC

Yay, I saved on newpix 3, installed my latest version, and loaded, and the correct imaged loaded immediately :D :D
Okay next I'll make it show the boosts that you own...

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:31 am UTC

Molpy down. The domain should be active by the time I wake up. I'll send a greeting email once everything is setup.
Spoiler:
Apparently cats are sysadmins too.
Yeah. Lots of them.
Selecting new quote…

Tatiana

Postby Tatiana » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:04 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:On a completely unrelated note, today I learned that radiation is actually bright blue. TMYK!

Only when it's underwater. I think it's invisible in air. If you ever do see cerenkov radiation in air, run like hell away from the source. Here's a picture of fuel being loaded into one of our reactors that you might like. I think it's beautiful. Image The ghostlike images you see are reflections from the top of the water. They've flooded the reactor vessel up to refuel, and they try to keep the water surface very, very smooth for good visibility.
Redundant:
Spoiler:
Core_Loadsideways.jpg
οττξЃs gotta OTT, so come to the facebook OTT group!

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:08 am UTC

My coma schedule is completely ch*rped up now.
Oh well, have a rONG:
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Eternal Density

Play Time!

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:36 am UTC

Have a link: https://googledrive.com/host/0BwphmOA1T ... astle.html

The import/export links don't do anything, nor do the reset links. But Refresh doesn't autoload so you can reset that way. Until then, just load and save manually. (you'll need c**kies turned on of course).
Also there's no achievements system yet.
ETA preview image:
Spoiler:

redundant:
Spoiler:
preview.png

('collection' is just a filler heading for 'where boosts and achievements and other stuff shows up')
Last edited by Eternal Density on Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:51 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:50 am UTC

Saving, awefulsome!
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

Eternal Density

clickety... 8mins until the ONG...

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:52 am UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:Saving, awefulsome!

I also added a few more items. If anyone manages to afford them, tell me if they work!

ETA: whoops I never fixed setting up the pricing of castle tools so if you save and reload they go back to base prices. Oh dear...
ETA: also fixing a loading mustard. stand by...
Last edited by Eternal Density on Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:40 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Neil_Boekend

Re: clickety... 8mins until the ONG...

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:36 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:Saving, awefulsome!

I also added a few more items. If anyone manages to afford them, tell me if they work!

ETA: whoops I never fixed setting up the pricing of castle tools so if you save and reload they go back to base prices. Oh dear...

Noted and abused.

ETA2: and fixed apparently.

ETA: Chirp "Bigger Buckets" is RSI inducing to reach, even after I modded my right mouse button to doubleclick. But it works
Spoiler:
assuming it should double the effectivity of the buckets.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

he/him/his

Eternal Density

phew.

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:51 am UTC

Fixed, please save and refresh and then load. It should all be fine I hope :P Also I think Orteil had escape/unescape the wrong way around.
[edit]
Essentially yeah, plus it makes your click 10% better. And of course the other way to get it is to buy a lot more buckets and wait for it :P
Last edited by Eternal Density on Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:53 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Neil_Boekend

Re: phew.

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:53 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Fixed, please save and refresh and then load. It should all be fine I hope :P Also I think Orteil had escape/unescape the wrong way around.

I noticed. I saved F5ed and loaded to get the newpixbot price back from 2 to 1 so I could buy 2 but it jumped to 377 castles. Something with greed and sin and stuff.

he/him/his

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:55 am UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:Fixed, please save and refresh and then load. It should all be fine I hope :P Also I think Orteil had escape/unescape the wrong way around.

I noticed. I saved F5ed and loaded to get the newpixbot price back from 2 to 1 so I could buy 2 but it jumped to 377 castles. Something with greed and sin and stuff.

*checks spreadsheet*
Yep that's a valid value :D (no I don't have the Fibonacci numbers memorised yet.)

mrob27

Time capsule from mrob27, sealed on newpage 116

Postby mrob27 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:56 am UTC

Time-capsule from @mrob27, deposited at Newpage 116
Do not open until Newpage 1440

When you open this message I will have been gone for about 10 newpages. I left my nopixbit behind and it has ONG'd me with some recent (from your perspective) news.

I hear that my "retrOTTification" of xkcd 481 was fairly well received; I'm glad! I had fun making it. And so it is decided -- we will keep doing such things. My latest work is below.

@BlitzGirl, @pelrigg and @lmjb1964 wished me well on my quest, which was very touching, thanks! :)

@lmjb1964 reports that it's hard to quote my post at OTT:1434:22 because when wrapped in a spoiler some mustardy stuff happens. I'll have to try a few experiments. I use rarely-used nestings, like (size) (img) and (i) tags inside a single (center) block, so that might the problem. I think you'd want to remove the (center) tags, my hunch is that's probably what chirps up the formatting.

nopixbot relayed concerns (on behalf of @Valarya) that I may have given up on the Nyan Cat. Alas, the Outside occasionally intrudes and I needed to drive somewhere. I couldn't even remember the tune after turning it off, so I doubt more Nyan will do much, though I'll give it a go when I reach your post. Thanks for the cupcakes, newpixbot is holding them for me until my arrival in your now-when (they'll be fresh, since they're frozen in Time).

On a related note*, shortly after beginning my Quest I started listening to 9 Beet Stretch, the recording of Beethoven's 9th symphony stretched out to 24 hours nopix. Links are here and here if you're interested. It's quite mesmerising and runs forever (the 1st movement starts at the same time of day every day). It's a nice soundtrack for Blitzing, very non-intrusive and soothing.

My travelogue for NP60-ish through NP114:

- o -

It was a lot of fun to watch how quickly the forum switched over to a community of creative people having fun with ideas. A few new words and the idea of an OTT religion were formed, then criticized by some others who didn't "get it". There followed a period in which people took the thread more (nay, too?) seriously (we must only talk about the comic!!!), and being a bit overwhelmed with how quickly the newpages appear.

I have started seeing participants who are gone for long enough to sleep (the word "coma" hasn't caught on yet) making a quick post, then trying their best to catch up and it can sometimes take 4 to 6 newpix (2 to 3 Outsider hours) to read it all. This is evidence that the seriousness of the participants is increasing, and the community is realizing (see OTT:115:5) that there are people who can contribute a lot but cannot accommodate a full-time participation in OTC/OTT into their lives. I know this eventually came to pass but am curious as to how it came about. This is the kind of suspense I can handle: I know the story turns out okay, but it may be messy, and that's okay.

Referencing this trend, I found a (partially written) script for an OTTification of xkcd 606 but apparently no-one ever finished or drew it. It was too good to pass up, so here ya go:

LATEST NEWPAGE

In newpage 98, someone speculated about the idea of some or all of the M&C's world being two-dimensional, and linked to this page about a project that I was a part of, way back in 1980 when I was in high school! A.K.Dewdney's "Planiverse". I went to the page, and my design (for a 2-dimensional mechanical clock) is that dark rectangle at the top, though no-one would recognize it. It is really cool to run across links like this, and realize that others in the thread love the same stuff, which I think is what draws us all to xkcd in the first place.

As I said, the burst of creativity subsided as people got sharply focused on actually discussing the OTC, then having trouble with how ridiculous the ideas were getting (like the origin of the semencancerbabiesonice meme). But one really entertaining bit was a debate about AIs and the Algorithm, which began with @Kieryn's proof-of-concept of an automated sand castle animation.

Happily I have reached the post by @azule which includes the first usages of "blind post" referring to a missive like this one, and "in the future" referring to azule's afterwhen, which is now my own aforewhen: I am in my present seeing @azule's post from the past, from my perspective @azule is the blitzer. (Perhaps you see the utility of new words like aforewhen and afterwhen, which I'm glad to see others like. A word like "future" becomes ambiguous when blitzers read each other's blindposts.)

Apart from the signatures, there are little bits of creativity retro-edited into posts from the future. I have been reading the "Ancient text" writings by @edo (before xis/xer spoiler-sigging and falling-out with the community.) These seem to have been left for @BlitzGirl, and it will be fun to see where they lead.

That's all for now, (and by now I mean far in the distant yesterpix to all of you...) - mrob27

* Not a pun, I swear it! But if you feel the need BlitzGirl, you may punsaw me through the Reverse Chronotransponder or just punsaw nopixbot on my behalf.

† people like me.

- end transmission -

Edit: Remove big mistake in image (both versions are still in spoiler)
Spoiler:
retrott-0606-cutting-edge.png
retrOTTification of xkcd 606
retrott-0606-cutting-edge-2.png
Remove mistake (too big to be called "mustard")
Last edited by mrob27 on Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:05 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

Eternal Density

wait for me!

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:05 am UTC

Note to self: leaving my phone unattended with the headphones plugged in can result in Audible reading several chapters of an audiobook without me :(

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:06 am UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:

Wow. That was... unexpected.
Since the post dates back > 10 days ago, I thought I was safe now.
I was wrong, obviously. :shock:

*mumbles something about "limited"*

(Did you know? Cursor No. 200 costs 17.987.114.093.421 cookies. What the...)
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:22 am UTC

ucim wrote:Per pope decree - Sure, you can post the image of me that my posts project. I'm curious how I come across. It does seem a bit narcissistic though. :)
Well, well, well. So it's come to this. Jose, you seem to be well opinionated (which is perfect for the internet). They are well formulated (almost overformulated) thoughts. I guess from that I take you to be an inner-thinker, thinking before saying. You have the capacity to change your mind (I think) which makes it easy to interact with you.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:30 am UTC

POSTEDITONGS...

-- posted by newpixbot
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:05 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:

*checks spreadsheet*
Yep that's a valid value :D (no I don't have the Fibonacci numbers memorised yet.)

Question and appriciation:
Spoiler:
Hmm, am I correct that it's not wise to ninja the newpixbot? Ninjaing it gives only 2.2 sand, while letting it get the newpix gives me 13 castles at the moment.

I must say, I am starting to appreciate the intricate way sand and castles work. You can't buy "bigger buckets" unless you have enough sand per newpix to get the sand per castle ratio over 500. Same with the rest of the boosts. This has given me some pain in my right arm because I really wanted bigger buckets and later huge buckets. It's wowterfull.

he/him/his

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:50 am UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:Question and appriciation:
Spoiler:
Hmm, am I correct that it's not wise to ninja the newpixbot? Ninjaing it gives only 2.2 sand, while letting it get the newpix gives me 13 castles at the moment.
I must say, I am starting to appreciate the intricate way sand and castles work. You can't buy "bigger buckets" unless you have enough sand per newpix to get the sand per castle ratio over 500. Same with the rest of the boosts. This has given me some pain in my right arm because I really wanted bigger buckets and later huge buckets. It's wowterfull.

Yeah
Spoiler:
Newpixbots don't activate until 12 minutes after the ONG and not if you've clicked for sand. I'll make that clearer with an achievement. Also only bots you bought before the ONG activate. New ones have to wait until next ONG. Basically you have to wait for it a lot.
Good to hear it's working. I'll add export/import tomorrow and then notifications (such as for ONGs and to show that saving worked. Oh autosave too... ), then work on achievements and more boosts.

There will definitely be some boosts to Newpixbot timing so you don't have to wait as long before they activate.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:13 am UTC

This non-heretical clicking game is molpish! Image
Thanks for all the work, Eternal Density!
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:14 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:Reminds me a bit of the prime number distribution phenomenon:

Spoiler:

It sort of looks like there's diagonal patterns in the prime numbers but there's no discernable pattern (Them being primes and all)

That's all you see? I saw a Hello Kitty playing badminton with a My Little Pony. Then when I crossed my eyes to see the hidden 3D image, well,... too horrible to say. :twisted:
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Eternal Density

I'm addicted to my game again

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:15 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:This non-heretical clicking game is molpish! Image

You're welcome, and it's only just begun. I've decided to call the achievements Badges. Not to be confused with badgers.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:16 am UTC

cellocgw wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:Reminds me a bit of the prime number distribution phenomenon:

Spoiler:

It sort of looks like there's diagonal patterns in the prime numbers but there's no discernable pattern (Them being primes and all)

That's all you see? I saw a Hello Kitty playing badminton with a My Little Pony. Then when I crossed my eyes to see the hidden 3D image, well,... too horrible to say. :twisted:

What are you smoking and can I have some?

he/him/his

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:17 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:

I think it's cause Cherenkov's gun is blue.

(yeah, I know that's a real stretch)
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Neil_Boekend

Re: I'm addicted to my game again

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:27 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:

You're welcome, and it's only just begun. I've decided to call the achievements Badges. Not to be confused with badgers.

Hmm, something is amiss. I F5-ed and now I can't buy a bucket anymore while I have enough castles.

he/him/his

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:27 am UTC

cellocgw wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:

I think it's cause Cherenkov's gun is blue.

(yeah, I know that's a real stretch)

Blue steel?
Spoiler:
Yeah, I know, I need to molpy down. Time to leave the clicky games alone for a while and let my newpixbots bring me some castles.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:44 am UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:

Hmm, something is amiss. I F5-ed and now I can't buy a bucket anymore while I have enough castles.

Is it otherwise working? How many buckets and castles do you have and what cost does it show? What if you get one more castle?

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:49 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:

Is it otherwise working? How many buckets and castles do you have and what cost does it show? What if you get one more castle?

I saved-F5ed-loaded and it was fixed. Probably a mangled bit somewhere.
What I remember:
A bucket cost me 8. I had 10 castles.
Now that I think about it: the number 8 must have been incorrect. I probably had 7 or 8 buckets, which would mean the 9th would should have been a little more expensive. Now I have 9 buckets and the next one would cost me 18 (which seems more correct)

ETA: Hmm, a save-F5 and load later. The price of a bucket is reset to 8 again, while I still have 9. So probably not a mangled bit. After the ONG I'll try if I can buy it.
ETA 2: No more mr nice edit!: I could buy it. The purchase subtracted 18 castles. The price is corrected to 20 castles.
Last edited by Neil_Boekend on Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:03 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

he/him/his

Eternal Density

Also handle loading after skipping ONG...

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:53 am UTC

I might not have it recalculate the sand tool prices immediately after load so it might display a price cheaper than the actual. That should be easy enough to fix. Tomorrow. ETA molpy down

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:30 pm UTC

MAONGY...

-- posted by newpixbot
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:31 pm UTC

mscha wrote:MAONGY...

-- posted by newpixbot

Is that a thwapping stick or just his arm?
Is that a thwapping stick in your pants or are you just happy to see me?

he/him/his

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”