1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Eternal Density

Re: More Mustard

Postby Eternal Density » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:06 pm UTC

waveney wrote:@ED The prefixes for high numbers are in the wrong order it should be: TPEZY not TPEYZ.

I am collecting glass chips awaiting developments... (@ 101 npbs)

ETA More Mustard: The load/save goes wrong when you have more than 1000EC. I think this is because it swaps from a simple number to Scientific notation. (The save I think saves it, it is the load that gets it wrong - will do more research in a few hours - program currently stopped)

Thanks I actually had that wrong, since I've never had use of those postfixes before.
I'd noticed that scientific notation goes wonky but hadn't considered it for saving. Oops.
I'm actually having a bit of trouble balancing new features because you're so far ahead of me and anyone else thatwhen I add ssomething new, you can always afford it instantly. Though hopefully glass is changing that a bit. Wait for it...
BlitzGirl wrote:*zombie-stumbles out of coma*

I couldn't get the ninja achievements during shortpix at all - I had to wait until longpix. There's also a boost called Active Ninja that happens after the switch which makes it so much easier to bulk up your ninja stealth streak.

*zombie-stumbles back to coma*
Yeah I had to add that cos it was too hard for me :P

ETA lol ninja'd from goat to pope!
Decree : colour the OTC. I haven't seen any colour frames in game yet except once to test that it works.
Last edited by Eternal Density on Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:09 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ZoomanSP » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:08 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:*zombie-stumbles out of coma* <snip> *zombie-stumbles back to coma*

*suspiciously eyes BlitzGirl*
Do we have to call lmjb1964 and her RAZOR team?
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:22 pm UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:*zombie-stumbles out of coma* <snip> *zombie-stumbles back to coma*

I'm not responsible for the type of descriptive words I choose when I'm operating on half a coma! I plead hyphenation or something.
Anyway, shouldn't be RAZOR going after Image first?

*stumbles back to coma in no way resembling a zombie except maybe brains sound delicious right about now but that could be due to the fact that I feel like I don't have any because brain is working properly not no oh has what happened my to word order glhaglbrablaaaga*
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Eternal Density

That isn't knife

Postby Eternal Density » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:29 pm UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:

Look sharp everyone! Fortunately lmjb1964's team is a cut above all others.

*rewrites post because my home wifi stabbed me in the back*
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

BlitzGirl

Re: That isn't knife

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:32 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
ZoomanSP wrote:

ARRRGAABRAAGLLH
thought following decree about papal but mind changed my after that zzz...
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

waveney

Postby waveney » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:44 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Thanks I actually had that wrong, since I've never had use of those postfixes before.
I'd noticed that scientific notation goes wonky but hadn't considered it for saving. Oops.
I'm actually having a bit of trouble balancing new features because you're so far ahead of me and anyone else thatwhen I add ssomething new, you can always afford it instantly. Though hopefully glass is changing that a bit. Wait for it...

I think you missed an ETA where I posted a fix:

waveney wrote:ETA fix: I think changing all uses of parseInt to parseFloat will fix this.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:09 pm UTC

waveney wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:Thanks I actually had that wrong, since I've never had use of those postfixes before.

waveney wrote:ETA fix: I think changing all uses of parseInt to parseFloat will fix this.

Yeah I did. Nifty. Thanks. I'll give that a try. I wonder if Orteil has run into that problem or if our numbers are just way bigger because Sandbags and Irregular Rivers are that powerful :P
BlitzGirl wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:
ZoomanSP wrote:

ARRRGAABRAAGLLH
I thought following decree about papal but mind changed my after that zzz...

I saw that coming. But it would be such a chain if I was the root cause of you not drawing something. Knot that I mean to lumber you with responsibility but perhaps you're barking up the wrong tree. So I woodn't mind if you stick to your original... Um... I'm stumped.

Is someone logging this?

DrSamCarter

Postby DrSamCarter » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:59 pm UTC

I'm sure BlitzGirl will twig to that set of puns, so one sticks with this theme at one's peril, or perhaps one branches out to some other theme, or perhaps one just leaves the whole topic well enough alone ...

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:14 pm UTC

Happy 2000 posts, ED!
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:28 pm UTC

I'll break up these tree puns by sticking an OSH in here:

OSH

This is a tree.
In what newpix did it first appear?

redundant
Spoiler:
osh2.png
osh2.png (2.38 KiB) Viewed 10675 times

ucim

Postby ucim » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:35 pm UTC

Earthling on Mars wrote:I'll break up these tree puns by sticking an OSH in here:

OSH

This is a tree.

M2091. I really had to root around for that one.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:58 pm UTC

That is correct, Jose! Treeish!

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:08 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:Fractal Sandcastles unlocks with Recursion I thin, so you need to click some more.

But, but, the puns!

*clickety clickety clickety*

Aaagh!

Aaaaaagh!

AAAAAAGH!!

We should take that game away from you before you put a chainsaw through your screen...
ChronosDragon wrote:

Experimenting with some custom emoticons. Thoughts?

AWESOMEFUL! Better than mine, maybe you should take over as official OTT smileyficator!
ChronosDragon wrote:One thing before I follow Blitzgirl's lead:

Peter Capaldi, actor playing the Next Doctor, has appeared in a previous episode of Doctor Who: He was
Spoiler:
the father in the family that the Doctor rescued from Pompeii
He also appeared as a character in Torchwood. What is YOUR theory as to how this can be reconciled in the Doctor Who universe without a plot hole?

Let's see...
Spoiler:
At some point in the future, the 12th Doctor has to do that thing from the episode Human Nature where he turns human and loses his Timelord memories. The human he becomes is of course Lucius Caecilius Iucundus from The Fires of Pompeii. After seeing the Pyroviles and having a trip in the TARDIS, something in him stirs - he doesn't realise what he is yet, but he realises there's so much in the universe nobody knows about and dedicates the rest of his life to finding out more about this stuff. He manages to discover some primitive method of time travel which he can't really control but it shoots him off to the present day, where he spends some time learning about modern society and blends in, changing his name to one more suitable for the time (John Frobisher) and getting a job in the government. That leads to the events in Torchwood: Children of Earth where he unfortunately dies before he can realise his true identity. Since he's still in human form he can't simply regenerate, but you know what the writers are like, they'll come up with some bullshit to make him still alive :P.

BlitzGirl wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:
ZoomanSP wrote:

ARRRGAABRAAGLLH

A zombie with a chainsaw!? :shock: Oh chirp...
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:24 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
waveney wrote:

Yeah I did. Nifty. Thanks. I'll give that a try. I wonder if Orteil has run into that problem or if our numbers are just way bigger because Sandbags and Irregular Rivers are that powerful :P

I wonder when you'll hit the 53-bit limit.

BlitzGirl will end up turning the punsaw to her side after all these puns.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:37 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote:I wonder when you'll hit the 53-bit limit.

After a certain point, you stop caring about the last few digits. So, you divide your number by some factor to get it within the limit, and store the factor.

Oh and by the way, that would be at 900 trillion castles (253). So actually, fairly soon, for the more wealthy among us, I should think.

ETA: Heading off now to go see a TEDx convention in Redmond. If there's anything interesting (say, a theoretical model of the Zanclean Flood) I'll be sure to regurgitate it here.

waveney

Postby waveney » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:02 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:I wonder when you'll hit the 53-bit limit.

After a certain point, you stop caring about the last few digits. So, you divide your number by some factor to get it within the limit, and store the factor.

Oh and by the way, that would be at 900 trillion castles (253). So actually, fairly soon, for the more wealthy among us, I should think.

I was way over that when it broke. (Over 270) Meanwhile, doing other things awaiting for @ED to test and release the next version.

Eternal Density

Wipend :(

Postby Eternal Density » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:44 pm UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:Happy 2000 posts, ED!

I... I had no idea! If I'd known, I wouldn't have wasted that post on silly puns. I've beam foolish!
waveney wrote: Meanwhile, doing other things awaiting for @ED to test and release the next version.
Good choice, since I haven't had a chance to start on it yet. I've been too busy breaking drill bits and screw heads (steambottle!)

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:26 pm UTC

Seaish ketchup because zombies. And puns.

Eternal Density wrote:
Spoiler:
waveney wrote:

BlitzGirl wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:
ZoomanSP wrote:

ARRRGAABRAAGLLH
I thought following decree about papal but mind changed my after that zzz...
I saw that coming. But it would be such a chain if I was the root cause of you not drawing something. Knot that I mean to lumber you with responsibility but perhaps you're barking up the wrong tree. So I woodn't mind if you stick to your original... Um... I'm stumped.

Is someone logging this?

DrSamCarter wrote:I'm sure BlitzGirl will twig to that set of puns, so one sticks with this theme at one's peril, or perhaps one branches out to some other theme, or perhaps one just leaves the whole topic well enough alone ...

ucim wrote:
Spoiler:
Earthling on Mars wrote:I'll break up these tree puns by sticking an OSH in here:

OSH

This is a tree.
M2091. I really had to root around for that one.

Eternal Density wrote:
ZoomanSP wrote:Happy 2000 posts, ED!
Spoiler:

I... I had no idea! If I'd known, I wouldn't have wasted that post on silly puns. I've beam foolish!
Congrats on 2000! I hope you have seen the error of your ways, but your last sentence is disappointing. Image

yappobiscuits wrote:
Spoiler:
BlitzGirl wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:Fractal Sandcastles unlocks with Recursion I thin, so you need to click some more.

But, but, the puns!

Aaagh!

Aaaaaagh!

AAAAAAGH!!
We should take that game away from you before you put a chainsaw through your screen...

Thankfully the bag puns are gone now, JA! But it was a very near thing... :wink:

yappobiscuits wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
Spoiler:
Eternal Density wrote:
ZoomanSP wrote:

ARRRGAABRAAGLLH

A zombie with a chainsaw!? :shock: Oh chirp...

Me, a zombie? Look who's talking - you've been a zombie since the mid-900s. Remember this?

Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Eternal Density

No wood puns in this post.

Postby Eternal Density » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:33 pm UTC

Those donuts look truly scrumptious!

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:35 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Me, a zombie? Look who's talking - you've been a zombie since the mid-900s. Remember this?

Oh yes. Of course. Then I guess it's a good thing I have a zombie with a chainsaw on my side then ;)

Happy 2000, ED! Have some redundant cake:
Spoiler:

ucim

Postby ucim » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:50 pm UTC

Oh, my, I donut know what I did to deserve such a treet!

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:52 pm UTC

Oh, you know, Jose. You know.
*eyes ED's post subject warily*

D'aww that is some awesomeful redundacake, yappo!
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Eternal Density

Cat

Postby Eternal Density » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:26 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Oh, you know, Jose. You know.
*eyes ED's post subject warily*

D'aww that is some awesomeful redundacake, yappo!

I agree about the redundacake. Also, have a molpy:

BlitzGirl

Cat on a pole!

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:35 pm UTC

Yay molpy! :D

Phil Plait's blog has an awesomeful Long Night-esque photo on it todip taken by Mike Shainblum.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

azule
Saved

Re: Know Thy Otter

Postby azule » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:36 pm UTC

ggh wrote:Or those who just didn't bother to fill out a form. Would that be creepy?
I, for one, am not really planning to fill this out, but wouldn't be bothered to be included in some way, and would not find it creepy. I might feel bad, though, to have it done without much effort on my part... eh. *shrug*

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:43 pm UTC

Yeah, I'd really like to be included but it'd require a lot of effort to trawl through my posts for stuff I could use. Not that I wouldn't be willing to do it, but I'd need to be very bored with nothing else to do...

Eternal Density

Polecat on a pole!

Postby Eternal Density » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:48 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Yay molpy! :D

Phil Plait's blog has an awesomeful Long Night-esque photo on it todip taken by Mike Shainblum.
Wingish!
I must galactinate!

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:30 pm UTC

Have a rabtor/pricklymolp picture:

Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:36 pm UTC

Rabtor: PTHHHHH
Prickly: Gah, chirp off yer little mustard!

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:26 am UTC

My apartment complex just lost power, which severely hampers my OTTing capabilities.

Molpy off to conserve phone battery.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:43 am UTC

*Puts BlitzGirl's electricity supplier in the comfy chair and pelts with S&Ms until her power comes back*

Eternal Density

Ah noo!

Postby Eternal Density » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:52 am UTC

Quickly everyone, sing the song of power!

Molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy grapevine grapevine molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy grapevine grapevine...

ETA 28 glass chips!

Eternal Density

Molpy.UnlockBoost('Doublepost')

Postby Eternal Density » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:01 am UTC

Bad news: I missed another ONG due to my browser deciding not to be open.

Good new: I got a little time to do some coding.

Code: Select all

### 0.9999
- Fixed postfix mixup
- parseFloat rather than parseInt on all sand and castle amounts when loading, just in case
- got rid of unnecessary Flint function (WHY was it using parseInt when SAVING??)
- singular Glass Chips are now 1 Glass Chip
- prevent further usage of sand rate for glass making purposes if it's already all in use
- gave a benefit to Double or Nothing destroying :P
- VITSSÅGEN, JA! now toggles ETA NO IT DOESN'T I JUST BROKE THE DESCRIPTION INSTEAD

And then lunch was early so I didn't have a chance to post the changelog until after. But here it is. I also got a couple of 503 (backend unhealthy, guru meditation) errors when refreshing after updating but it seems to be good now.

ETA oops. I guess there will be an 0.99991 after all.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:15 am UTC

TEDx was wowterful, heard some truly inspiring talks and some silly ones as well. Unfortunately, I sprained my ankle on the stairs in the conference room, but the overall impression of the event is still greatly in the positive nonetheless.

There was also a storm while I was happily inside listening to people, which knocked down a tree in my backyard (and, apparently, BlitzGirl's power :o I'll be taking a truck with a comfy chair loaded on it to Puget Sound Power's HQ tomorrow, don't you worry).

Eternal Density

Gobus the Astronomer From Space

Postby Eternal Density » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:22 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:TEDx was wowterful, heard some truly inspiring talks and some silly ones as well. Unfortunately, I sprained my ankle on the stairs in the conference room, but the overall impression of the event is still greatly in the positive nonetheless.

There was also a storm while I was happily inside listening to people, which knocked down a tree in my backyard (and, apparently, BlitzGirl's power :o I'll be taking a truck with a comfy chair loaded on it to Puget Sound Power's HQ tomorrow, don't you worry).
I'm glad it was worth the trouble! Would you like to share anything about a talk you found particularly wowterful?

Also I fixed the problems:

Code: Select all

### 0.99991
- VITSSÅGEN, JA! description works
- VITSSÅGEN, JA! toggle actually implemented
- VITSSÅGEN, JA! is now tagged as toggle so it shows up blue
- VITSSÅGEN, JA! is just fun to say
- VITSSÅGEN, JA!
- VITSSÅGEN, JA!
- VITSSÅGEN, JA!
so yeah.

ETA 40 posts until a round number!

ETA I really need to make it so that certain temp boosts don't start their countdown if you're not looking at the game (or at least wait a while if you haven't done any thing in a while). Because I just missed a temporal rift :(
Last edited by Eternal Density on Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:14 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:50 am UTC

Woot, got 177 on the Google game (from yesterday)! I bet one can reach 180, maybe 200.

Are we still allowed to post this?

P.S. Logic is sometimes hard.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:03 am UTC

azule wrote:Are we still allowed to post this?

What, you mean there was a restriction?
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:11 am UTC

Power's back. Molpy on! :D
Thank you to yappo and ED, and to the industrious redundakitties at Seattle City Light!
Spoiler:
ChronosDragon wrote:There was also a storm while I was happily inside listening to people, which knocked down a tree in my backyard (and, apparently, BlitzGirl's power :o I'll be taking a truck with a comfy chair loaded on it to Puget Sound Power's HQ tomorrow, don't you worry).

Yup, it was the storm that did it. Lost power along with three thousand others in my neighborhood. But it's all better now! And I got to finish a book I was reading. :)
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Eternal Density

The Vagrant From Sheklir

Postby Eternal Density » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:16 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Power's back. Molpy on! :D
Thank you to yappo and ED, and to the industrious redundakitties at Seattle City Light!
Spoiler:
ChronosDragon wrote:There was also a storm while I was happily inside listening to people, which knocked down a tree in my backyard (and, apparently, BlitzGirl's power :o I'll be taking a truck with a comfy chair loaded on it to Puget Sound Power's HQ tomorrow, don't you worry).

Yup, it was the storm that did it. Lost power along with three thousand others in my neighborhood. But it's all better now! And I got to finish a book I was reading. :)

Awesomeful non-redundant kitty!

That's at least 3 otters who have lost power recently. And you know what they say: once is happenstance, twice is coincidence, and three times is enemy action!

Okay back to testing glass...

BlitzGirl

Re: The Vagrant From Sheklir

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:20 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:That's at least 3 otters who have lost power recently. And you know what they say: once is happenstance, twice is coincidence, and three times is enemy action!

But...what enemy? I mean, granted, most of the Outside is heretical, but that doesn't make it villainous by nature.

Unless...the villain is nature. *glares at storm clouds*
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”