1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

HES

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HES » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:20 pm UTC

balthasar_s wrote:What I found interesting is that her questions about the rivers, and everything else were a bit cuegan-like.

More accurately, cuegan's questions are a bit child-like. This led to speculation about their age in the early dips.
He/Him/His Image

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-0569

Postby mscha » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:30 pm UTC

KIDDONGLY...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Re: Time After Time: t1i-0569

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:46 pm UTC

newpixbot wrote:KIDDONGLY...

Is newpixbot commenting on Cuegan's ages, too?
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

HES

Postby HES » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:47 pm UTC

Try and hide it all you want, newpixbot, but we know you're sentient.
He/Him/His Image

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:03 pm UTC

I've just ...
... noticed the javascript.

I made the "go to newpage" thing. But now, when improving the page links, I noticed that there is javascript that does exactly the same thing. I changed the javascript so that it actually works on the mirror. Now my version is redundant. But my version doesn't need javascript.
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:33 pm UTC

* throws chocolate-covered while chocolate truffle at azule
* [menacingly]: And there are more from where this came from!
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:48 pm UTC

I don't know why I'm so reply-challenged.
Spoiler:
Yesterday, I wasn't going to have time to post my reply before I left the place where I was, which was certainly not work, because I certainly wouldn't have been OTTing at work, so I saved a draft. And I told myself, "Self," I said, "Don't forget that it will ask you if you want to continue even though it only saves text, or whatever that warning is, and if you don't click 'Yes' it will not save your draft." And then a second later I forgot. So, then I couldn't finish it at home. And I think I missed some things,. I think my brain doesn't work.

airdrik wrote:As the Mediterranean basin is about the same size (rough Fermi measure) as the US, then yes we could use all of the paint that has been made to paint the Mediterranean basin (taking another look, it is quite a bit smaller, so while we're at it we can probably drain and paint the Black, Caspian and Red seas and the Persian gulf and paint those as well).

As for painting a wall/bridge across the Straights of Gibraltar, it looks like they are about 10 miles wide. 10 miles * 900 m is about 15 Mm^2 (MMmm...), so dividing the 9 Tl = 9e9 m^3 of paint by that gives us about 2 Km tall wall (should be tall enough). In fact we could easily build a paint-bridge across the straight as wide as the pieces of land it connects and still have room to spare).

Airdrik! It's been mips since you've been here! So good to see you, and with cool math-y stuff! :)

Eternal Density wrote:I keep meaning to link this http://www.clientcopia.com/ related to the topic of "the customer is always right", fortunately it got mentioned enough times that I finally got around to doing it.!

Oh man, those are hilarious/terrifying. I've worked in customer service enough to know that people do and say really stupid things. I've done and said stupid things. I guess what I was thinking of when I first brought it up are the people who assume that the customer or user or whatever is a total idiot just because they don't work in the IT department.

macraw83 wrote:Wow. Almost 11 mips later, the OTT is still going. I fell away from my blitz in August, when classes started (note: never be a full-time student and a full-time engineer simultaneously). Back when I was last actively blitzing, I got into the habit of getting my OtherComic fix whenever I encountered that moment in the OTT, and as a result I am now about 8 mips behind in the OtherComic. Now that I finally have the time to consider spending on things I want to do instead of things I have to do, I've decided to give this blitz another go. But even then, I was expecting to blitz in silence, not even sure if that was a thing anymore. But I've seen a few things that have spurred me to continue, little bits of information scattered throughout headers and signatures. Such as Karhell, who says he's 160 pages behind as of 25 pages ago, and BlitzGirl, who says she still has to ketchup. And then there was still a piece of sigcouragement from Earthling on Mars, meaning I have not been completely forgotten in my struggles to stay current in my Blitz (although, being in image form, it is very likely that it was easier to just leave it anyway):

Spoiler:

I am very glad that it seems as though the OTT still has the same charm that kept me captivated for mips on end, even now that (I assume) the OTC ended a good while ago. I sincerely hope that, one xip, I will actually be in the present again, contributing to whatever-awefulsome-shenanigans-y'all're-up-to-these-xips.

Here goes nothing!

And macraw83!! Another OTTer returns!

Eternal Density wrote:I could spend a few minups making the obvious OTTification of the latest OtherComic, but what's next? Making Other OTTifications of Other OtherComics? Where does it **d? It could add up to NOPIX spent OTTifying.

Oh, wait, I already did spend a lot of Time OTTifiying

:lol:

azule wrote:I feel like chatting. Hi. Did you xuys know that I've implemented a game, of sorts, here? If you need to know the rules, let me know and I'll say something about it in the next post.

In lieu of actual chatting, here's some lurkreplies (that is to say, I didn't need to ketchup, just couldn't post (that is because I'm a silly molpy)):<snip snippety>
lmjb1964 wrote:Well, I'll just assume that, like me, everymolp was ties up with family for the holidips. Though hopefully not literally tied up, like I was
FTFYbecauseIknowhowscaryyourlifeis. I think it was slow because I wasn't posting. I am really loved here. Without me even BlitzGirl can't save it. ;) :P *scampers off to have fun with his delusions* FutureNote: You xuys survived. :(

Well, yeah, we survived, but it was tough. :( But we waited, and now you're back and we can chat with you. Yay! Loved the baobab manip. So, what's the hotdog?

waveney wrote:There are some issues I forsee in the paint wall project:

There are many types of paint, many are water soluable, painting the wall underwater might be "difficult". Also there is no "wall" to piant.

Paint is probably not very strong, it would need reenforcing with something. Now the Esteemed What if does mention the problems of paint and sand. Now sand for sandcastles is non heretical. So perhaps if we mix paint with sand we could make some large blocks. These could be cast into rectangles with two rows of four pips on top and using a range of colours. A giant Lego Set would then be made.

These blocks would then be built by children (aged 21+) using cranes and thus the Dam is made. It could last 11,000 years until some child wonders what-if I take this block here.

I've enjoyed the whole Paint Gibralter Dam discussion, but this one is, as Neil said, the most brililousserder.

mscha wrote:PONGUID...
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

How do they know they're friendly?

Another great blitzreport from balthasar_s. I enjoyed the story about bug propagation in using someone else's code, but now I can't find it, so hopefully you know what I'm talking about.

AluisioASG wrote:[
yappobiscuits wrote:and why on earth would you want your information to be ch*rped!?

More importantly, how does one do that?

You do not want to know. :shock:

BlitzGirl wrote:<snip computery stuff>
*reads buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo computer magic Buffalo buffalo*
I don't understand it, but I'm sure it's molpish to those who do speak computerese! :D

Oh, so glad it's not just me!

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

Eternal Density

Steambottle!

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:59 pm UTC

My head feels full of m*stard toip.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:15 pm UTC

Ew.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

airdrik

Postby airdrik » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:22 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:I don't know why I'm so reply-challenged.
airdrik wrote:...

Airdrik! It's been mips since you've been here! So good to see you, and with cool math-y stuff! :)

It has been quite a while. I don't keep up with the OTT (like I used to. I don't mind the basement that much), though lately it's slowed to a rate that as often as I do check it there are only a couple newpages to skim. (I was surprised to see someone recognize my post, considering at my peak I didn't really post that much; though I did get in a few ottifications)

HES

Postby HES » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:25 pm UTC

airdrik wrote:I don't mind the basement that much

BlitzGirl, you need to keep your molpy army in check. This isn't right!
He/Him/His Image

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-0570

Postby mscha » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:30 am UTC

STRONGLE...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:48 am UTC

HES wrote:
airdrik wrote:I don't mind the basement that much

BlitzGirl, you need to keep your molpy army in check. This isn't right!

Oh no, are they making the basement too comfortable? They do like their feng shui.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:21 am UTC

Well they have comfy chairs. But those are supposed to be for PUNISHMENT!
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

Eternal Density

None.

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:22 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:Well they have comfy chairs. But those are supposed to be for PUNISHMENT!

No pun intended.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:33 am UTC

That's what the Vitssågen is for, ja.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:49 am UTC

Maybe we should reduce the square footage of the basement. If it's too comfy, they might twistedly decide they actually LIKE their punishment. Plus, the less space, the fewer of them can fit down there.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:51 am UTC

And if we do that, it'll make some extra room for us! We could get a bar and a pool table!
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:06 am UTC

No! Then we'll end up basementing ourselves, and nobody will be left otting!
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:07 am UTC

This is not our call to make.
We should ask The Basement.
Selecting new quote…

HES

Haven't been preview ninjad in a while

Postby HES » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:08 am UTC

Why don't we reallocate the basement as our hotdog room, and move the basement into that little cupboard with the weird sign on the door?
He/Him/His Image

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:10 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:And if we do that, it'll make some extra room for us! We could get a bar and a pool table!

Well, not sure what use that would be, but I see why you'd like it:

Eternal Density

Re: Haven't been preview ninjad in a while

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:11 am UTC

HES wrote:Why don't we reallocate the basement as our hotdog room, and move the basement into that little cupboard with the weird sign on the door?

I like how you're thinking.

AluisioASG

“Well, that was expected. You ready, sweetheart?”

Postby AluisioASG » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:19 am UTC

HES wrote:Why don't we reallocate the basement as our hotdog room, and move the basement into that little cupboard with the weird sign on the door?

The one written “ACDZV ABFQR ADYWL AGUYJ AEWRT BBIFK ACBWO AEWAZ”?

ETA: Hey, 2¹⁰+2⁹!
Selecting new quote…

Eternal Density

double steambottle

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:48 am UTC

I'm seriously having brain trouble today. Everything seems boring. :(

HES

Postby HES » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:57 am UTC

I'm having brain mustard too. I'm far too awake for this hour, it's too quiet, and I'm already in a weird mood from some molpish family news that I can't tell anyone about. Then there's the guilt that I'm burdening future me with the coursework which is due soon.
He/Him/His Image

ChronosDragon

Re: double steambottle

Postby ChronosDragon » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:02 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:I'm seriously having brain trouble today. Everything seems boring. :(

I'm having trouble focusing on this project I really need to get going on. It just seems so...dull.

WHAT IF WE'RE BEING INVADED BY BRAIN-EATING AMOEBAS! OR SAFETY HATS! OR SEVERE CEREBRAL ENCEPHALOTIC INIDEATION?

Apologies for the caps, but this could be an emergency!

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:08 am UTC

I was just thinking how epsilonish I was feeling.
Something dreadful must be happening...
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:13 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:I'm seriously having brain trouble today. Everything seems boring. :(

I'm having trouble focusing on this project I really need to get going on. It just seems so...dull.

WHAT IF WE'RE BEING INVADED BY BRAIN-EATING AMOEBAS! OR SAFETY HATS! OR SEVERE CEREBRAL ENCEPHALOTIC INIDEATION?

Apologies for the caps, but this could be an emergency!
I was already thinking brain-eating amoebas, as I read a mention of them somewhere recently.
BlitzGirl wrote:I was just thinking how epsilonish I was feeling.
Something dreadful must be happening...
Uh oh.

HES

Postby HES » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:17 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:I was already thinking brain-eating amoebas, as I read a mention of them somewhere recently.

If you're thinking of brain-eating amoebas, it isn't brain-eating amoebas. That's the first thing they go for.
He/Him/His Image

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:19 am UTC

HES wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:I was already thinking brain-eating amoebas, as I read a mention of them somewhere recently.

If you're thinking of brain-eating amoebas, it isn't brain-eating amoebas. That's the first thing they go for.

oh then maybe it's the cereal encyclical indentation thing.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:30 am UTC

HES wrote:

Maybe it's a bluff. They might be trying to trick us into thinking it's not brain-eating amoebas by leaving our awareness of brain-eating amoebae intact.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

AluisioASG

The creature on the man's shoulder mumbled something

Postby AluisioASG » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:31 am UTC

HES wrote:I'm already in a weird mood from some molpish family news that I can't tell anyone about

Judging from yesterday's posts…

ChronosDragon wrote:I'm having trouble focusing on this project I really need to get going on. It just seems so...dull.

Me too. In my case I've finally found a way to install themes on my phone.

ChronosDragon wrote:WHAT IF WE'RE BEING INVADED BY BRAIN-EATING AMOEBAS! OR SAFETY HATS! OR SEVERE CEREBRAL ENCEPHALOTIC INIDEATION?

Indentation is good.
Selecting new quote…

HES

Postby HES » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:32 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Maybe it's a bluff. They might be trying to trick us into thinking it's not brain-eating amoebas by leaving our awareness of brain-eating amoebae intact.

Maybe so, but you're now demonstrating higher-level logic
He/Him/His Image

addams

Re: The creature on the man's shoulder mumbled something

Postby addams » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:36 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
HES wrote:I'm already in a weird mood from some molpish family news that I can't tell anyone about

You can whisper it into Time.
We aren't Anybody.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:45 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
HES wrote:

oh then maybe it's the cereal encyclical indentation thing.

Traveller's Guide to Sounding Intelligent wrote:Oftentimes in your travels, you may encounter friends, coworkers, superordinates, governmental officials, primitive tribesmen, Englishpeople, or Multiply-limbed Extraterrestrials whom you need to impress quickly with your vast scientific knowledge and familiarity of jargon which you have not had the proper training to possess. In these situations, spending several minutes preparing and memorizing a long phrase or multisyllabic utterance is infeasible; no prepared speech can cover all possible conversational pathways (just ask a video Role Playing Game developer). Instead, you can memorize long lists of latin and greek roots, and combine them at will to form long, complex yet legitimate sounding words that are sure to deflate the egos of everyone around you. For example:

John: Hey there, <your name>! It's been a while! How was college!
You: [floundering, because you dropped out of college to embark on your travels] Err, it was...beneficiously probiqious.
John: Wow, that's great. Sounds like you learned a lot. You must truly be a worthwhile [human being/tentacled extraterrestrial/mythical creature].

However, be careful not to use this technique in front of anyone who may actually be intelligent enough to realize that you are making it up. As you may well know, scientists are ruthless to those who they believe to be imposters.

Dr. Quentin Reginald Hendrickson, PhD, MD, DDS, etc: Why good morrow, fellow intellectual! How eudaemonious have your nanoarchitectonic endeavors been proceeding?
You: Why, felicigrediously! I have irascitated many a fatumetrous individual!
Dr. Quentin: [Enraged] Why, you impudent imposter! Fellows, dematerialize this unscrupulous individual! [He/She/It] most probably has not even achieved a nanoscale architectonic thermoengineering degree!

As always, be prudent in your application of this technique on your travels.

Cerebral - of or relating to the cerebral cortex (outer layer of the brain, responsible for, among other things, generation of ideas)
Encephalo - of or related to the head, cranium, or top
In - lack of
Ide - idea, thought

SEVERE CEREBRAL ENCEPHALOTIC INIDEATION - severe lack of brain head thoughts (roughly)

Eternal Density

I attempt to spread amusement

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:06 am UTC

Yet another donut comic:
(I've seen a LOT more than I've posted here)

BlitzGirl

Amusementcoffeesea?

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:13 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:SEVERE CEREBRAL ENCEPHALOTIC INIDEATION - severe lack of brain head thoughts (roughly)

Yeah, my brain head thoughts aren't so treeish todip.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

AluisioASG

he translated as ‘yes, but begrudgingly so’.

Postby AluisioASG » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:28 am UTC

So… how much time until the Reckoning? 1 month?
Selecting new quote…

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-0571

Postby mscha » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:30 am UTC

IRONMONGER...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”