1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Here It Goes Again

Postby AluisioASG » Mon May 05, 2014 1:53 pm UTC

SBN wrote:How do you close apps in Win 8.1? Specifically, how can I explain to MSWFP how to close apps?

Update Windows. Update 1 adds a title bar to Metro apps. It's mandatory anyway.
Alternatively, click the top center edge of the app and drag it down to the bottom.

ETA: Holly. I really have to start paying attention to my own scripts.

What would you do were you in the OTC?
Also,
Flying raftcastles, sardine tins and castle destroyerstrebuchet.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

taixzo

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby taixzo » Mon May 05, 2014 3:15 pm UTC

Mr Moriaty wrote:I reckon we are looking at Cofrentes power station? Its up the river near the settlement in the first map.
Of course I could be talking out of my arse as often happens when i put my clothes on upside down and expect to be shot down. But I'm really bored and I should be working.

Its one attractive piece of engineering
Spoiler:

Hello mr CIA man. Its not my plutonium i borrowed it off Blitzgirl

Another argument in favor of that location: from the picture it looks like it's in the mountains, and we saw Cuegan climb mountains to get there.

On my way home yesterday, I saw a RELATED billboard:

RSIR
Spoiler:
14050001.jpg
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Mon May 05, 2014 3:50 pm UTC

For Pope:
Some pixels from Time, some from afterTime, some from 1110.

Redundant?
Spoiler:
iminotc.PNG
iminotcr.PNG
iminotcr.PNG (10.1 KiB) Viewed 13347 times
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon May 05, 2014 4:27 pm UTC

Treeish manip and OTTercomics, balthacreator!

oldpixbot wrote:
AUTOMOME wrote:IT'S OVER. MEGAN IS FINISHED.

:shock:
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-1018

Postby mscha » Mon May 05, 2014 4:30 pm UTC

CLONGORS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

BlitzGirl

ENAP: 2 so far

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon May 05, 2014 5:44 pm UTC

Farewell, towerraptor.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Mon May 05, 2014 8:04 pm UTC

Aluisio, ucim, BlitzGirl, and anyOTTer else who answered me,
Thanks! I should have thought to look in the wiki first, of course, lazy crab that I am :oops:
Wiki Wiki Wiki Wiki Grapevine, Grapevine

"Kvetcher-upper" -- one who complains while ketchupping? - CasCat

“Pretty much everything tastes better if you eat it in the shower.” - ggh

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Mon May 05, 2014 8:27 pm UTC

Have a seatONG
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

mrob27

SO I HERD U POST ᓭᘖᔭᓄᐨ

Postby mrob27 » Mon May 05, 2014 8:51 pm UTC

SBN wrote: How do you close apps in Win 8.1? Specifically, how can I explain to MSWFP how to close apps?

There is no "MSWFP" in Google's awareness. I will imagine you mean Windows Phone 8.1, which implies you don't have a mouse and cannot click. Apparently (based just on a little Googling), the way to close an app in Windows Phone 8.1 is to long-press on the "back" button (get multitasking view), then find the app you want to close, then "swipe down" on it (which means to touch-and-drag from the top of the screen to the very bottom). Simply pressing (not long-press) the back button just suspends the app. The official answer on the topic also says, "To completely stop all processes associated with an app, drag the app to the bottom of the screen, and hold it there until the app flips over."

ucim wrote: Sana te, sana, colita de rana; si no sana hoy, te sana mañana.

Oddly, Google Translate only fails on mañana, the one word I actually know ("tomorrow", something we often Wait for). It thinks that te sana mañana means "I am healthy" with "am" being the translation of mañana, but clearly in context, "I [will] heal tomorrow" is far better translation. I found variants "sana, sana, colita de rana, si no sana hoy, sanara mañana" and "sana sana colita de rana, si no sanas hoy, sanaras mañana" and several others, so it seems popular enough. What does the idiom colita de rana ("tail of frog") mean?

taixzo wrote:
Mr Moriaty wrote: Its one attractive piece of engineering Image ...
Another argument in favor of that location: from the picture it looks like it's in the mountains, and we saw Cuegan climb mountains to get there.

And the water in those rectangular outdoor evaporation pools (?) is that recently-noted colour green.

mrob27 Image

(P.S. next will be my 300th)
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

mscha

Time Revisited - np1122

Postby mscha » Mon May 05, 2014 9:10 pm UTC

DUNGY...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:OH GLR HOW DID THIS GET HERE I AM NOT GOOD WITH SPARROW-RAPTORS

-- posted by oldpixbot

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Mon May 05, 2014 9:27 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:Φ Endorphines are released when you break something (amongst other causes for release).
Spoiler:
They are natural painkillers. I didn't feel pain for about 24 hours after the fractured leg, although I immediately got a screaming [ size=1030]"THIS IS NOT GOOD"[/size] signal from my leg. That signal caused me to stay down until my mates could pick me up and support me while I hopped to a bench where I waited for the ambulance. I strongly prefer the signal over a debilitating pain, because besides being painful debilitating pain also prevents rational thought. It significantly decreases my ability to think before I do, thus potentially causing more damage.

Oh by the way, I got X rays. Anyone wanna see?
How did I miss the fact that you broke your leg? :shock: Wow, I know crab is flaky when it's cooked, but that's ridiculous.
I absolutely agree on preferring a NOT GOOD signal to debilitating pain. :| The adrenaline that comes with the pain makes it so much worse for me - it's supposed to help with the pain, but the racing heart and radically changed blood pressure make me crazy and often give me an enormous headache to go with the broken/squashed/seriously damaged bit.
I hope both you and ED continue improving apace! (Neat X-rays!)

Congratulations to both mscha and MistyCat on your Rosettas!

SBN wrote:For decree-ish.
Spans that need names:
The amount of time one spends frustrated before giving in and asking for help.
The amount of time before guests arrive (so the amount available to clean/get ready)
The date on which one must go into panic mode, due to the imminent arrival of said guests, and the condition of one's house. Or the reciprocal, the amount of time one spends procrastinating.

In other news, apparently I'm hosting Christmas this year.
It's not a name you need, it's a formula. Or perhaps someone can tell me the name of the formula?
A is the amount of time you have
Spoiler:
B is the amount of preparation required (a separate quantity, arrived at by a different formula which takes into account the grandness of the occasion, the specialness of the occasion, number of people coming, size of house, how much various guests care about the state of your dwelling, how much you care about how much they care, and the likelihood of being cut out of anyone's will. Oh, also factor in any wolpy allergies.)
C is the amount of help available (usually not a fixed quantity, as the available help will almost certainly not be fully available when you finally cave in and ask.)
D is how good you are at delegating (hey, that worked out pretty neatly)
F is how much time is required for meal preparation
G is how much gift-giving you have to do, over and above being the host
H is how resistant you are to the lure of the hotdog vendors
I is the quality of life you hope to retain for most of A
J is how much time you spend on this equation (don't forget to factor in increasingly pessimistic recalculations)
K is how much money you hope not to spend on a temporary storage unit
L is the amount of time taken up by the last-minute holiday project they'll spring on you at work/school (remember to consider how many brownie points you'll get or what percentage of your grade the project will be)
M is the redecorating and refurbishing projects you and those living with you decide need doing because of the event (not necessarily a negative number - some home improvement projects result in large chunks of the house being clean. Depends on how long before the event the project is done. Keep in mind, though, that the less time there is between the project and the event, the greater the likelihood of things going wrong with the construction of your gorgeous new room.)
N is how much sleep you must have, over what span of time
P is whether you are a volunteer or were volunteered for this - this determines approximately when you get utterly discouraged, and when you get totally pissed off that you have to do this.

There are a few more factors, but essentially you divide A by a really impressive but perfectly ridiculous formula to arrive at Epsilon. Omega will happen regardless, so you don't need to include that in the equation ;)

I'll gladly cheer you on and I'm sure ggh will, too! In the meantime, my sister- and brother-in-law are visiting for the first time at the beginning of June and I'm pretty sure they think our house is relatively neat, and mostly dust-free. Oh, dear. Goodwill, do you do bulk pickups?

On-topic: I don't think laser antmolpies are such a good idea, unless Ms Frizzle has some way of containing or directing them? On the other hand, imagine putting them in a barrel of sugar, the caramel tunnels would be excellent!
Wiki Wiki Wiki Wiki Grapevine, Grapevine

"Kvetcher-upper" -- one who complains while ketchupping? - CasCat

“Pretty much everything tastes better if you eat it in the shower.” - ggh

BlitzGirl

Time Revisited - np1123

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon May 05, 2014 10:27 pm UTC

FillUNG the sea...
Spoiler:
According to OTT Time Travel, there was significant mustard happening in the past at this Time, and the ONG couldn't be retrieved for nearly half a newpix.

OTToMeme wrote:IT CAN DO WHATEVER IT WANTS. IT'S THE FUTURE.

-- posted by just another quiet Mondip
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re: SO I HERD U POST ᓭᘖᔭᓄᐨ

Postby SBN » Mon May 05, 2014 10:56 pm UTC

mrob27 wrote:
SBN wrote: How do you close apps in Win 8.1? Specifically, how can I explain to MSWFP how to close apps?

There is no "MSWFP" in Google's awareness. I will imagine you mean Windows Phone 8.1, which implies you don't have a mouse and cannot click. Apparently (based just on a little Googling), the way to close an app in Windows Phone 8.1 is to long-press on the "back" button (get multitasking view), then find the app you want to close, then "swipe down" on it (which means to touch-and-drag from the top of the screen to the very bottom). Simply pressing (not long-press) the back button just suspends the app. The official answer on the topic also says, "To completely stop all processes associated with an app, drag the app to the bottom of the screen, and hold it there until the app flips over."

MSWFP is the who, not the what. MSWFP is the initialized version of Middle-Sized Wolpy's Favorite Person, who is also a favorite of mine, but who sometimes causes me despair because I am the family techie, and he is, um, not. I'll try the drag it to the bottom and hold it instructions next time.

BlueCrab wrote:
SBN wrote:For decree-ish.
Spans that need names:
The amount of time one spends frustrated before giving in and asking for help.
The amount of time before guests arrive (so the amount available to clean/get ready)
The date on which one must go into panic mode, due to the imminent arrival of said guests, and the condition of one's house. Or the reciprocal, the amount of time one spends procrastinating.

In other news, apparently I'm hosting Christmas this year.

It's not a name you need, it's a formula. Or perhaps someone can tell me the name of the formula?
A is the amount of time you have
Spoiler:
B is the amount of preparation required (a separate quantity, arrived at by a different formula which takes into account the grandness of the occasion, the specialness of the occasion, number of people coming, size of house, how much various guests care about the state of your dwelling, how much you care about how much they care, and the likelihood of being cut out of anyone's will. Oh, also factor in any wolpy allergies.)
C is the amount of help available (usually not a fixed quantity, as the available help will almost certainly not be fully available when you finally cave in and ask.)
D is how good you are at delegating (hey, that worked out pretty neatly)
F is how much time is required for meal preparation
G is how much gift-giving you have to do, over and above being the host
H is how resistant you are to the lure of the hotdog vendors
I is the quality of life you hope to retain for most of A
J is how much time you spend on this equation (don't forget to factor in increasingly pessimistic recalculations)
K is how much money you hope not to spend on a temporary storage unit
L is the amount of time taken up by the last-minute holiday project they'll spring on you at work/school (remember to consider how many brownie points you'll get or what percentage of your grade the project will be)
M is the redecorating and refurbishing projects you and those living with you decide need doing because of the event (not necessarily a negative number - some home improvement projects result in large chunks of the house being clean. Depends on how long before the event the project is done. Keep in mind, though, that the less time there is between the project and the event, the greater the likelihood of things going wrong with the construction of your gorgeous new room.)
N is how much sleep you must have, over what span of time
P is whether you are a volunteer or were volunteered for this - this determines approximately when you get utterly discouraged, and when you get totally pissed off that you have to do this.

There are a few more factors, but essentially you divide A by a really impressive but perfectly ridiculous formula to arrive at Epsilon. Omega will happen regardless, so you don't need to include that in the equation ;)

I'll gladly cheer you on and I'm sure ggh will, too! In the meantime, my sister- and brother-in-law are visiting for the first time at the beginning of June and I'm pretty sure they think our house is relatively neat, and mostly dust-free. Oh, dear. Goodwill, do you do bulk pickups?

I do need the formula as well, but the decree was for units of time. (Pretty sure he meant Time, not time, but I did what I could.)
Caramel tunnels do sound pretty good, any idea how to create them without laser antmolpies?
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon May 05, 2014 11:36 pm UTC

Randammit, now I've googled "caramel" and made myself hungry.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ChronosDragon

Re: 1190: "The Psychology of Modern Chemistry"

Postby ChronosDragon » Mon May 05, 2014 11:40 pm UTC

Aperture Paragon Labs Test Subject #44237415 - Test Progression Report

Subject has completed chambers 1 and 2 of the 5-course testing track under computerized surveillance (the newly pioneered Sentient Calculator And Numeric Tally Readout Operator Network technology) and is in a Relaxation Vault awaiting the arrival of the next chambers. Performance so far has been satisfactory, and early analysis indicates that the subject may be as much as one or two standard deviations above the mean. The first chamber, which was designed to test Application of Multi-Phasic High-Energy Chemical Combustion and Other Reactive Forces (Designated AP-CHEM under standard Aperture Paragon name-shortening regulations), was completed with surprising ease, and the test subject finished well below the designated time frame. The second chamber, the Psychovisuoaccoustic Mental Fitness Challenge and Mental Breakdown Simulator (designated AP-PSYCH under the above system), was completed with such speed that the subject has been given the highest degree of competency acknowledgement under the standard test data criteria, a "good work" stamp in the "other comments" box. Speed of performance aside, the test subject showed a near-obsessive preoccupation with fictional winged reptilian creatures, which they scrawled in crazed pencil sketches on many Aperture Paragon Perpendicular Concrete Testing Surfaces. Recommend additional psychiatric evaluation after testing has been completed. Further investigation needed to determine if resistance to AP-PSYCH was due to possible schizoid disorder.

Further entries will relate the proceedings in chambers 3-5, as they are completed.

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-1020

Postby mscha » Tue May 06, 2014 12:30 am UTC

SLONGER...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue May 06, 2014 12:30 am UTC

Where are you going with that seat, Ms. Frizzle?

Best of luck on the rest of your Aperture Paragon exams, ChronosDragon! I remember how crazy that Time was for me back when. May your manic pencil sketches help you keep your sanity!
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue May 06, 2014 1:29 am UTC

Any OTTers want to pitch in to buy us a Real Castle (including grounds) in the south of France?
balthasar_s wrote:
Spoiler:

ImageLove it!
balthasar_s wrote:An ottification of ZoomanSP's ottification⁴ of mscha's ottification of ZoomanSP's ottification of xkcd 1364:
Spoiler:

This must be the most meta-OTTified thing yet!
balthasar_s wrote:For Pope:
Spoiler:

Some pixels from Time, some from afterTime, some from 1110.

I love it, it's quite W. Heath Robinson-esque:
Spoiler:
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Soon sporting a new signature

Postby AluisioASG » Tue May 06, 2014 2:11 am UTC

Wait some years and I'll buy us Île d'If (The original! Accept no imitations!).

Hmm... "The Troubadour"...
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

mscha

Time Revisited - np1128

Postby mscha » Tue May 06, 2014 3:10 am UTC

NUNGRAVITATIONAL...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:KEEP CALM AND KETCHUP ON

-- posted by oldpixbot

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue May 06, 2014 3:12 am UTC

mrob27 wrote: What does the idiom colita de rana ("tail of frog") mean?
To my knowledge it has no special significance - it means just what it says on the tin. Perhaps it alludes to the early cures for things and where they came from, but this is pure and idle speculation. In my several etymological dictionaries of (Dominican) Spanish (etymology is an interest of mine) I could find no reference, and my father did not provide any background on it. I even have a few books of Dominicanisms and sayings, no joy there either.

Any frogs in the OTT?

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

azule
Saved

Some lurkreplies before ketchup

Postby azule » Tue May 06, 2014 4:18 am UTC

Yeah

I read through Time and I want more
So evasive—fade—it does a cut
My soul is busy yearning
The reckoning, the maddening
The first double-dactyl
Pseudo-epileptic fractals

Go to the Present, ketchup and stay
Then fill my mouth with all the glory I will say
Slinking in, the Past's smaller again
I'm done; Time to begin
I'll be gone the whole weepend

GLR will temp us both
We throw ourselves into our work
But no one else can see
The second browser with OTT history

Schizoblitzing
Schizoblitzing
Schizoblitzing
Schizoblitzing
Schizoblitzing
Schizoblitzing

Oh, well, the cracks in the trek we make
Flood the temporal well
The spoilers have gone mad
This is something new, so can we see it all?
Blindposting's all we had

Who needs this mustard mess?
We could start over
Just sigcourage me a bon voyage
We fill the emptiness
But I'm missing something
I think we're done
Present, here we both come

GLR will temp us both
But no one else can see

Schizoblitzing
Schizoblitzing
Schizoblitzing
Schizoblitzing
Schizoblitzing
Schizoblitzing

The limits of the thread
The limits of the thread
The limits of the thread
The limits of the thread

Fake a quick stomach bug (Schizoblitzing)
Need more time to ketchup (Schizoblitzing)
My eyes and arms are giving out (Schizoblitzing)
Can't stop myself OTTifying (Schizoblitzing)
My mind is wandering (Schizoblitzing)
Is anyone else there? (Schizoblitzing)
Am I the only one?

GLR will temp us both
But no one else can see

GLR will temp us both
But no one else can see

The limits of the thread
The limits of the thread

[I may not have been schizoblitzing during ZZodiac, but I definitely felt like I was schizoreplying.]
-------------

Oh, so that's how they build them on water, ZoomanSP: bouncy castles. hehe

HES, good job turning Cueball into a Garfield-Garfield Jon Arbuckle.

balthabath, is that a "running with sciscors" game. Oh, no I don't know how to spell sciscitor.

Xuys, I love the epic tangential of pink pricklymolp. Hmm. The Perfectly Precocious Pinings of Pink Pricklymolp? *shrug*

Me one yip ago:
OH NOES!!! MEGAN'S GONE FOR REALS! ALL HOPE IS GONE! MEGANPOCALYPSE!!
I was being extra serious here. Read: kidding. I wonder what I really felt. lol

ggh, re:cancer905.jpg, could it be semencoffeecancer905.jpg? ;) Totally jealous of your frame, btw. Now I wonder if I need a colorsplash mode option for my Zanclean Zodiac.

Thanks for the beantel, balthtel. Extra points for how it works without being plugged into the wall. Anyone a fan of The IT Crowd? "But how?!"

Thanks for the gamma exposure, mrob. I've noticed that some frames had color (the blue were obvious but there were others), and I never thought to gamma correct them to see what was hiding there. I'll have to do that. I noticed due to pngcrush info.
Not doing it right now, but now I thought of how a black and white stick figure would see color. While we see black and white and see the dark blue as basically black, they probably see it hyper and see a very bright blue, like a bee and ultraviolet.

monkeygentleman, you are quite the gentleman. I am quite the jerk. I should be called jerkfox. Good luck on your blitz.

Congrats to SilentTimer on 1000+ t1i!

Earthling on Mars wrote:
azule wrote:
Spoiler:
mrob27 wrote:
How Time Was Saved
Wow. Great origin story. I could say more but I think that's called gushing. Gushing sounds messy. But I was thinking how great it would be to collect all these stories and some of the songs and poems and arrange them in a chronological order. Most of the stories do not conflict with each other (even though their perspectives are usually so unique), as I recall. Well, I mean, like a book. I know there was that Book of Time project that didn't get far, but a Story of Time might be better and we could send that to GLR when we have it fleshed out enough. :)
I like this idea. :) A quick glance at the Time Literature page on the wiki agrees that they don't seem to conflict. I also notice that mrob's story isn't listed there... I'll go add it.
Thanks. We should probably lay out a structure to follow so that this actually happens. With the structure we can see what is missing (hint: maybe someone will write something to fill the hole) and arrange the works in order.

mrob27 wrote:There is at least one other origin story for the OTC itself, by @jjjdavidson on NP1248, which was quite highly praised in its Time, and it fits pretty well too as it covers a different period of the Past.
Thanks for reminding us of that story. I didn't reread it, but I remember the praise for it as well. Now, crap, I'm realizing my origin story is....not so consistent with the others. Good thing mine is myth and not "fact".

slinches wrote:How is it possible that this song hasn't been mentioned so far? It has otters and creeks and dams and rising water!
Will have to give this a listen to later, but I love that song.

27 wrote:Image
The OTW should have a globally-editable page for all
departed Old Ones and basementees saying
'DEAR BLITZERS OF THE FUTURE: Here are descriptions
of all the photobucket images this person posted ...'
(spoiler-free for Newpage 1 and later)
Neat. One qualm: Is it really safe NP1+? What about no molpies? np 2003 is on the line, as it could be construed as speculation or a spoiler that it goes for at least that long.

yappobiscuits wrote:
azule wrote:Thank you for enjoying this series. The effort may be more than it seemed, as I am no GLR, SilentTimer, waveney, tman2nd, nor am I a BlitzGirl or yappobiscuits. That is to say, I doubt I made this seem effortless (if you noticed the erratic posting schedule). lol.

You are an azule though, which is just as molpish! That was all very enjoyable, thanks for that!
Aw, thanks. :oops: You're welcome. ^_^
ucim, thanks. I'm not trying to be any of those I listed. Just saying that I'm not as proficient, efficient, nor even as skilled at times.

AluisioASG wrote:BTW azule, if you're not seeing yourself blue, you should take your metamaterial sunglasses off. Or would it be mine?
Oh, I'm blue and I'm a fox, but I'm not a blue fox. :) Yeah, maybe metamaterial sunglasses. They make the world look more...meta-y. :?

BTW also, I'll be happy when you get back to writing. Your tease sounded good.

Link wrote:ergman and azule: awesomeful OTTifications!
Thanks.

mrob27 wrote:Steakish xkcd 685 OTTification, @azule! (But sad little pixbot... :( )
Marvin the Paranoid Nopixbot
Thanks. hah, love it.

kr4 wrote:I mean - time ended long ago! And still you find something to write about.
What are you doing there?
Writing /fiction sentimental comics. 8-)

ChronosDragon wrote:I'd thought of that, but the parent's padding is in a percentage, and it changes in different @media sizes. mrob helped me find a solution, though - I can use a sibling element with nothing visible inside that has jquery to match sizes with the absolutely positioned one.
Ack, but why not pure styles?! Again, not sure what you're up to there, but couldn't this have been done with "em"s and the media-query controlling the overall size of everything? You're using a dummy element...? *cough* I'd just like to see this code, is what I'm saying. Curious. :)

ZoomanSP wrote:Steakish OTThercomics by ergman, azule, and Link!
Thanks. :)

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:On azule's Spirit OTTification: Also amazing work. This is also one of my favourite OtherComics as well. The question is, what would it mean to bring spiritbot back home? And what impact would it have on us and the posting of new/oldpix?
Thanks! Spiritbot is sad so that we may be happy. That make y'all happy? ;) :P BTW, SpiritBot sounds good.

taixzo wrote:
azule wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:TUGGUNG a little more...
Hah. Talk about breaking the fourth wall.

I think that's the third wall, actually! :P

I appreciate that. Moreso if I knew in a 2d world how many walls. Hmm, 2d means there should only be 2? But if this were CSS it'd go top right bottom left....and being the left wall, that'd be the fourth one. hehe. *shrug*

mrob27 wrote:Thanks for starting the USD thread, @azule! I'll be re-doing my 'Stump the Finitist', which I've since determined really was my idea, and probably eventually will draw up a few other ideas I have in the Moleskine.
Thanks. I don't recall this "finitist"...is that because you haven't shared it with us before? I'm looking forward to it. :)

mrob27 wrote:Frame 1 though we later realized that we had the frame, and had only lost the 256-bit hash.
I really do wonder if there ever was a hash for it. Did the first frame redirect? Maybe, like the religion you mention, it was always meant to be officially lost (only to be saved by the fans).

mrob27 wrote:Offline play is very important for me too. I couldn't upload to mrob.com for most of yesterdip, and I had to try to work on Q04B from a local copy. I was surprised to see that it worked, and even saved the game — my attempts to run Sandcastle Builder locally did not work so well.
Yeah, I stopped playing SB when I couldn't get it to use my local versions of the ONGs. I know it's just a picture and the rest of the icons may or may not be available, but I felt it to be important. Maybe I should have asked Waveney to add that feature/option.
mrob27 wrote:Anyway, here (and attached below) is a zipped tarfile of the current version, for the benefit of blitzers who want to play the game as it exists now. Uncompress it and open the file "index.html". The options (reset high score, reset badges, and new game) work too.
Thanks. I'd rather play in my online/offline version instead of a local version, though. Future me reads that you have an import/export option now, so all this is almost moot. hah.

SBN wrote:I've tried counting sheep as an insomnia cure, but instead of counting multiple sheep each jumping a fence in turn, my brain makes it one sheep jumping back and forth over the fence, while the other sheep gather around and watch as it jumps higher and higher.
I like that. Sounds like a fun hotdog. ;)
Spoiler:
You time the jumping to get it higher and higher. The farther you go the more sheep gather (which symbolizes your score). If you time it wrong, it's over, right then. You wake up.

SBN wrote:I apparently can't order my new organized sand online, because, "Our website works best with Internet Explorer" I told them I thought that was a bit like demanding that I drive a Chevy to their store to buy things. (Note, I don't have anything in particular against Chevy, that was just what I chose for my analogy.) I understand that they can't guarantee their site will work with every single browser out there, but just one?
Weird. I haven't run into a site like that in a while, except for tax related ones (which I get working just fine once I spoof IE for them.) I agree with your analogy.

mrob27 wrote:I'd be interested in finding out if JavaScript can take a string from the meme definition and use it in a regexp search and replace. In Perl you need to use "eval" but JS might just allow using a variable as the regexp.
I'm working on that soon. Yeah, it can take a string in the RegExp() object which can then be used any place a /regex/ can be used. :)

mrob27 wrote:Thanks for the memes; I'm starting to add some of them to my version :D
Neat. If anyone disagrees that any of these should count as memes let me know.

mrob27 wrote:You would have to reset your badges to see what I did. Go to the info & options page, follow the Reset Badges link, and then join two Megans (or anything bigger).
Oh, I see it now. Very SB.

mrob27 wrote:Trouble is, I don't know how to scale or resize a background image, so each layout would need a whole set of Time frame images...
Would "background-size: 100% 100%" help?

mrob27 wrote:
I see that you're reading about addictiveness....to see how to better addict us?

I suppose you're kidding, but just in case: I'll try to outline the points: <snip/>
I don't think it's so apparent what side you're on, but yes, I was kidding. I think what you're indicating is to keep people from being addicted by giving them better tools to handle what they're viewing. I go to the casino with my girlfriend but I never feel addicted and am usually ready to go pretty quickly. I think I get obsessed..but not addicted. Apparently they're different things. **

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue May 06, 2014 4:22 am UTC

Hah, awesomeful OTTy, azule. It's epsilon seeing an ottification of such an angry song. But it's really treeish. :P

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-1021

Postby mscha » Tue May 06, 2014 4:30 am UTC

SPRINTONGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

Cloudy_the_Conqueror

Postby Cloudy_the_Conqueror » Tue May 06, 2014 5:02 am UTC

Oh no, where am I? In the basement?

I didn't post in the OTT for too long... But I didn't forget reading the OTT, up to the latest newpage.

I should get out of here!

*stands up and runs*

*uses monkeys to shoot down Overpowered Fighter Blimp Mark 9001, the guardian of the basement*

*runs to the door*

I'm back here! Hopefully I could stay longer up here...

...What's that? A survey tower on wheels?

Oh, and [Q04B spoiler]:
Spoiler:

Redundant but vital:
Spoiler:
rosetta_rules.png
I should really work on my thesis or something.

azule
Saved

Ketchup

Postby azule » Tue May 06, 2014 5:08 am UTC

Hi, Cloudy!

yappobiscuits wrote:Hah, awesomeful OTTy, azule. It's epsilon seeing an ottification of such an angry song. But it's really treeish. :P
Thanks. I think it mostly sounds angry. I'm not sure I know what the real song is actually about, still. lol.

Okay, new replies, but still not fully ketchupped:

Great "We", blitzgirl.

Apologies rejected, ucim!!

I was thinking about the heartbeat of Time. It was Time itself, the ONGs, every np. We didn't know what to do for a while when those ceased, yet we were already following the ONG of the newAuthorComic, every ~2 dips. And, even the sadness of a slow weepend, that was another "beat". Today, for me, is Mondip, but it won't really mean anything without the heartbeat of the new comic. If I can get access tonight, then I feel like that might help me feel the connection again.

So as I was saying, we have a heartbeat. No dismissal of the SilentONGs, as they are also a heartbeat, every four np. Consistency is neat, even molpish, but I think we have even more heartbeats when we get a delurker, a debasementee, an irratic post by a regular or a blitzer, a bagsession, an OTTification, an etc. Let's keep it up peoples. It turns out that we (mostly) are the heartbeat we needed all along. Now click those ruby heels together. Not to leave, but to stay. *click click click*

Also, I'm a dork. Thank you very much.

OtherSkyCircle, would seem to be the convention.

BG wrote:A RELATED picture: when you take a long exposure of fireflies, they become beesnakes...
So that's where they come from. Thanks.

Aluisio wrote:You didn't get the joke…
No one did, actually. I think.
Or we did and La Petite Mort. I think you will know what I'm saying. ;)
Note: read the next post, and oh, nevermind. Unless you're going for subtext, too.........

Aluisio responding to ggh wrote:My paranoia would've made me recheck every door, window, lock and gas switch twice. And likely stay awake in the TV room. No way I'd be able to have a shower; too disabling.
Yeah, I didn't even think of that. Showering would be right out. Sleeping would be right out. I would probably snack (as opposed to eat). I would watch TV essentially on mute. I would pace and recheck, also. I think ggh wants to be vulnerable in the shower. You know, because real life is just like the movies. I feel vulnerable in my pants. lol

BGirl wrote:Does anyone else think it looks like the beesnakes are writing in Beanish in this silentpix ?
Yes, actually.

Four penis heads plus a penis halo on top.

I'm

kidding!

I don't really see anything. :(

Laura Mae [s]J[/s]Goose Bumps wrote:Oh so redundnant (edited to say that I'll leave in that redundant n. I thought the word looked funny...)
Nice try, but you only get to create one awesomeful word per Time.

Kidneying, of course. :twisted:

lmjb happily using her punsaw wrote:Image
I now image you will punsaw for the smallest of things. See? I said smallest. Punsaw me. ;) (*sigh* coma time)

ergman wrote:This community has done so much with something as small as the sequence of end-frames.
So much with just black, and white. hehe. Okay, I should probably stop commenting. I think I was going through withdrawals. hehe, draw. You know, the drawings, like the SilentOngs? (*sigh* need more radiation juice, read: alcohol.)

AASG wrote:Try explaining the Internet to someone from the 1860s. Now make that person explain it to someone who knows the Internet.
Neat scenario.

lmjb wrote:You would not believe how much you miss running water till it ain't running any more.
I very much so believe. I feel like, "let's just move out", when the water stops. It's just easier to live somewhere else at that point. :)

ZoomanSP wrote:I think, too, that Rosetta is the Beanie leader. But Ms. Frizzle might indeed have been helpful as a translator. Maybe she was on another mission away from Château d'If when Cuegan arrived there? On the other hand, Rosetta talked to Cuegan for only a short time, while Ms. Frizzle had at least one night and all the trip with Cuegan to pick up new words. So Rosetta's skills are still pretty impressive.
Or Rosetta is dead so now Ms. Frizzle is leader pro tempore.

mrob wrote:words mean what people want them to mean <snip/>, I'm certainly not going to try to get in the way
If you get in the way you can be one of those people that "want them to mean" whatever you want. We do it here all the time, but usually with newwords. No reason to stop at that.

NoMouse wrote:Oh, those times when we had to wait until Windows showed "It is now safe to turn off your computer" orange message on black background and then press the power button...)
So that's why they wait for the computer to shut down before pressing the power button in Office Space (though, I think it was a Mac). Thanks, I didn't know that. Will they be showing Office Space in Ancient Computer History classes? hehe

yappo wrote:My ringtone should really be Molpies, shouldn't it... it's not, but it probably should be.
Our ringtone for you should be Molpies. Anyone have phones that do a specific ringtone per person, right?

NoMouse wrote:the first nuclear fusion reactor that should generate more power than it consumes
I thought that wasn't possible. Do they have it set up next to their perpetual motion machine and Time portal?

yappo wrote:Image
Looks like Ms. Frizzle is waving a wand, like BlitzGirl!
If BlitzGirl dies she can change her avatar to this. It's settled. :)

Now time for an OdeTiTy with some words by Neil_Boekend:

Spoiler:
kola_borehole-OdeTiTy.png
It may be filled with S&M's, but only if the OTTers it consumes are.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

yappobiscuits

Re: Ketchup

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue May 06, 2014 5:32 am UTC

Cloudy_the_Conqueror wrote:*uses monkeys to shoot down Overpowered Fighter Blimp Mark 9001, the guardian of the basement*

Wait, so our basement is actually a type of blimp?
azule wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:Hah, awesomeful OTTy, azule. It's epsilon seeing an ottification of such an angry song. But it's really treeish. :P
Thanks. I think it mostly sounds angry. I'm not sure I know what the real song is actually about, still. lol.

Yeah, I've never known what the original is about either. :P
azule wrote:
yappo wrote:My ringtone should really be Molpies, shouldn't it... it's not, but it probably should be.
Our ringtone for you should be Molpies. Anyone have phones that do a specific ringtone per person, right?

Yes. I approve of this.

Molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy...
Oh, Yappo's calling again!

Neil_Boekend

Re: Some lurkreplies before ketchup

Postby Neil_Boekend » Tue May 06, 2014 5:35 am UTC

azule wrote:
SBN wrote:I apparently can't order my new organized sand online, because, "Our website works best with Internet Explorer" I told them I thought that was a bit like demanding that I drive a Chevy to their store to buy things. (Note, I don't have anything in particular against Chevy, that was just what I chose for my analogy.) I understand that they can't guarantee their site will work with every single browser out there, but just one?
Weird. I haven't run into a site like that in a while, except for tax related ones (which I get working just fine once I spoof IE for them.) I agree with your analogy.

The problem with sites that only work in IE is that it is a logical fallacy. IE doesn't work so the sites can't work in IE.[/joke]
If the makers just follow the W3C rules they can shove the things that are wrong on the site where they belong: with the browser makers. However, people are far to catering to self centered browser makers to do that. They feel it should look good DESPITE the fact that the browser doesn't do it's job.
People should write sites that only work properly in Links or Lynx, that require you hold a lynx or travel in a lynx towards the lynx.
(I agree that lynxes are cool anymals, but the disambiguation list for lynx is just silly long).
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

BlitzGirl

Time Revisited - np1130

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue May 06, 2014 5:53 am UTC

Not strUNG enough:
Spoiler:
OTT Time Travel

OTToMeme wrote:THAT'S A SWEET ASS-OTTHERCOMIC
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mscha

Time Revisited - np1131

Postby mscha » Tue May 06, 2014 6:10 am UTC

SWUNGLUNGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:SPOILER THE SILENTONG, SPOILER THE WORLD

-- posted by oldpixbot

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue May 06, 2014 7:19 am UTC

Steakish song ottification and OdeTiTy, azule!
It's molpish to see Cloudy_the_Conqueror again as well.

azule wrote:
yappo wrote:
Spoiler:

I'll keep that in mind for future reference, though I don't plan on dying any Time soon!

For decree:
If I were in the OTC, I think I would probably try to join up with the Beanies, who seem to be compiling/recovering knowledge. That's the sort of thing I enjoy. I don't know if I would be brave enough to randomly go exploring like Cuegan, and I get seasick easily so long raftcastle voyages are not for me. I actually rather like what Frizzle is doing in the SilentONGs, so maybe Beanish field work now and then.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Mr Moriaty

Postby Mr Moriaty » Tue May 06, 2014 7:37 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Steakish song ottification and OdeTiTy, azule!
It's molpish to see Cloudy_the_Conqueror again as well.

azule wrote:
yappo wrote:
Spoiler:

I'll keep that in mind for future reference, though I don't plan on dying any Time soon!

But if you did die you wouldn't be able to change it. I think the only option is to set up a system where your username and password are automatically posted to the OTT if you don't post within the OTT at least once a week. This ensures that we can change your Avatar for you in the event of the unthinkable. And that you CAN NEVER LEAVE*.

For decree:
If I were in the OTC, I would like to think I'd be an explorer like Cuegan... although in reality (uhhh OTCReality?) I'd probably be the perpetually drunk one who's convinced he's trying to rediscover the lost art of making whisky instead of just getting drunk.

*unless you disable it, don't care anymore or delete your account
The Holy Geophysicist of the Time Waiters - Can be found eating granite with a glass of port.

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Tue May 06, 2014 8:04 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:

Wait some years and I'll buy us Île d'If (The original! Accept no imitations!).

*waits for it*

For decree:
Spoiler:
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Tue May 06, 2014 8:12 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:I'll keep that in mind for future reference, though I don't plan on dying any Time soon!

Aww, come on. It's quite nice on this side of the Veil.
Mr Moriaty wrote:But if you did die you wouldn't be able to change it.

Why not? Death is just the beginning.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

he/him/his

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue May 06, 2014 8:18 am UTC

Dead Neil does have a point about death, there. But I'm still going to keep living for now. :)

Megan tryUNG to dislodge Cueball's amoeba with her foot:

OTT Time Travel
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-1022

Postby mscha » Tue May 06, 2014 8:30 am UTC

BREADWINNONGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue May 06, 2014 9:58 am UTC

Frizzle's going for the apparatus! I sense a practice run coming...
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Tue May 06, 2014 10:24 am UTC

The apparatus is a laser cannon. The next frame Frizzle is going to vaporize Cuegan. After that she is going to vaporize a couple of kg's of radioactive waste from the blue cave. The wind is going to carry the highly radioactive cloud to the village. Thus end the SilentOngs

he/him/his

BlitzGirl

Time Revisited - np1135

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue May 06, 2014 10:45 am UTC

AMOEBUNG:
Spoiler:
Eesh, that's a little harsh, OTToMeme... ↓
OTT Time Travel

OTToMeme wrote:IF WE MAKE IT BACK ALIVE, YOU'RE NEVER CH*RPING ANYTHING AGAIN.

-- posted by molpydown
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mscha

Time Revisited - np1136

Postby mscha » Tue May 06, 2014 11:10 am UTC

RIESLUNGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:AND WHY DO YOU WORRY ABOUT MANIPS? CONSIDER THE MOLPIES OF THE TOWER, HOW THEY MUSTARD: THEY NEITHER POST NOR KETCHUP.

-- posted by oldpixbot

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”