1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

HES

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HES » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:00 pm UTC

We don't have one, but I did get paid yesterday. That was utterly molpish.
He/Him/His Image

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

bftf-0496

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:00 pm UTC

THIS IS OTTIFIED. I CAN TELL BY THE NEWPIXBOTTIFICATION AND FROM HAVONG SEEN A LOT OF RIBBITS IN MY DIP -- automome
Spoiler:
I'd highly recommend following the first commandment.
-- posted by lmjbot

karhell

Postby karhell » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:30 pm UTC

HES-poping firstpost forethrow ahoy !

sus_organizer wrote:topic: OTTer Meetup in Europe, 13 Feb 2015

Hi !
I am helping with the upcoming conference.
You can write me an email if you have any questions concerning general questions.
greetings

Hi, sus_organizer, Revealer The Recent !
Thanks for making yourself known, and welcome to this wowterful madness. Feel free to stick around if you so wish :)
Last edited by karhell on Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:36 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
lmjb1964 wrote:We're weird but it's okay.
ColletArrow, katakissa, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!

ergman

Postby ergman » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:35 pm UTC

welcome! does sus stand for sustainable university of sustainability?
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

karhell

Postby karhell » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:37 pm UTC

ergman wrote:welcome! does sus stand for sustainable university of sustainability?

sounds more like the redundant university of redundancy1, when said like that ^^

1which is fine and all, since as we all know, redundancy is molpish.
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
lmjb1964 wrote:We're weird but it's okay.
ColletArrow, katakissa, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:54 pm UTC

OTThercomic of the new OtherComic:

RSIR:
Spoiler:
1453_ott.png
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:03 pm UTC

Hi !
You can write me an email if you have any questions concerning general questions.
greetings

J?
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

bmonk
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Postby bmonk » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:34 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
ucim wrote:Jose
Ooooh, that's a nice poem! What structure is that? A half-sonnet of sorts?
Thanks. :) To my knowledge it is not a named form, just a few couplets in ABBA BAAB scheme.

It is said that mustard makes the world go round, this is an example. I was trying a single AA couplet but couldn't put my complete thought ("I wasn't able to successfully enhance - was it an actual enhancement or an OTTish one?") into just one. So I tried two but couldn't get the rhymes I wanted. So I tried four couplets, each time flipping the sequence.

I suppose the sequence could go on forever, a la serpinsky, but decided to be more like a river, than like unto all the droplets of the sea taken together.

Jose

You mean the Thue-Morse sequence? It's a great sequence, that never repeats itself more than twice!!!

ETA: for some of us, Advent starts this Sundip, so we will really be
Spoiler:
waiting for it.
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:14 pm UTC

bmonk wrote:You mean the Thue-Morse sequence? It's a great sequence, that never repeats itself more than twice!!!
Yep, that's the one. I shouldn't be surprised that it has a name. So, I guess I'm engaged in Thue-Morse poetry, or Tholean poetry, to take advantage of a distant homophony.

Treeish otty Zooman! There were a few others I enjoyed but was too engaged in Outside to comment on. Hopefully I'll get them in the reketchup.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:38 pm UTC

Hi !
greetings

...but what is your email? :?

Edit: BlitzGirl, you might be interested to learn that the chinese media has banned puns.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, Vytron, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:17 pm UTC

So no need more for this?
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
with that.
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

bftf-0497

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:00 pm UTC

IF CZULE IS WRONG, I DON'T WANT TO BE RIGHT -- automome
Spoiler:
-- posted by lmjbot

bmonk
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Postby bmonk » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:33 pm UTC

Blitzgirl, in response to your (sadly defunct) papal decree now in page 911, I offer:

Eternal Density wrote:Next newpic, I predict Dominican mONGks.

Actually, Dominicans tend to have houses in cities1. For hilltop (mountaintop) mONGks, you'd likely do better with Benedictines or even Orthodox monks.
Meteora, in Thessaly (Greece)--there are also some nice ones on Mount Athos.

Christ the King Abbey in California, nicely atop a hill.
Last edited by bmonk on Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:59 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

Link

LOOK ON MY ZOMBIE OTTER EYEBALLS, YE WINGISH, AND GO CAVE!

Postby Link » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:53 pm UTC

ᘈᘊᘖᐨ all! As I said a while ago, I've started working on AUTOMOME a bit again, and it's Time for a release!

AUTOMOME 3.5 RELEASED

This release adds many of azule's OTToMeme memes to their own category. The memes I've added so far are just the ones from mrob27's list, but I hope to eventually ketchup entirely with both mrob27 and azule. The OTToMeme memes aren't enabled by default; you can find the option to enable them under "Meme categories". Command-line users and bot operators: the category flag is 't'.

Of course, there are a few other new memes in there as well. (Why yes, I have been re-watching Firefly.)

AUTOMOME wrote:PRICKLYMOLPS POP LIKE RELATED MOLPYSNAKES. SPLASHING REDUNDAKITTIES IN A VOID. I AM HILLISH.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

New recipient of the Smiley-4-Smiley program: bmonk

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:33 am UTC

Thanks for the AUTOMOME update, Link! I just re-blitzed Firefly myself a couple of dips ago.
Welcome, sus_organizer! It's good to have a conference liaison. :)
Treeish new OTTercomic, ZoomanSP!
Hope you survived the Bridezilla attack, jimbobmacdoodle!
Steakish Thue-Morse poetry, ucim!

For bmonk, in exchange for bringing smileys for a past papal decree: Image

taixzo wrote: BlitzGirl, you might be interested to learn that the chinese media has banned puns.

Baobabs. I may set the VITSSÅGEN on puns, JA, but I wouldn't want them to be illegal!

I hope those who celebrated it had a very molpish Thanksgiving! I sure did! Image
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

bmonk

Postby bmonk » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:23 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:I can see how this would be intimidating with the OTT, considering it's four times as long as it was when I set out on my Quest to blitz it all.

Little did she ever suspect 2174 (and counting) pages. I only have about 1258 to go . . .

BTW: Thank you.

ucim

Postby ucim » Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:54 am UTC

bmonk wrote:Little did she ever suspect 2174 (and counting) pages. I only have about 1258 to go . . .
Remember the bit about the Quest becoming even more Awesome as Time goes on? Just think of the Glory when you finally do arrive!

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:52 am UTC

bmonk wrote:Little did she ever suspect 2174 (and counting) pages.

Yeah! Now the thread is more than ten times as long as it was back in the dip when I began reading it. :shock:
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

lmjb1964

bftf-0498

Postby lmjb1964 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:00 am UTC

I'M IN YR OTTER, POSTONG YR FIRSTPOSTS -- automome
Spoiler:
-- posted by lmjbot

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:38 am UTC

Must be a baobabs frame. Or maybe the wowterfall.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

balthasar_s

bftf-0499

Postby balthasar_s » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:57 am UTC

IS THERE ENOUGH CUSTARD TO SCHIZOBLITZ THE ENTIRE CURRENT BEARAPTOR POPULATIONG OFF OF THE RAFTCASTLE? -- automome
Spoiler:
-- posted by bothasar_p

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:45 am UTC

I learned that blitzes are really good with sour cream. -source:TBBT

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

HES

Postby HES » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:28 am UTC

He/Him/His Image

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:25 pm UTC

^ If you wait for it, it will become semencoffeecancerbaconcustardstarsandbabiesonice!

Also, I forgot the bftf chronology, because the "WOW" eliciting newpix had to be post-raptorcat. But yes, the Map to Understanding is WOW.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re: New recipient of the Smiley-4-Smiley program: bmonk

Postby SBN » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:31 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
I hope those who celebrated it had a very molpish Thanksgiving! I sure did! Image

I did as well, though it took some doing. MSWFP spent 25NP in his carcastle, and I spent 8 in mine, in order to gather the four humans and four wolpies into one spot. We made yesterday our feast day, because Americans' need to shop created a need for my daughter to work overnight. Of course, tomorrow we have to reverse the carcastle journeys.
Weather should be a bit better. Traffic will likely be even worse. No regrets.

New job seems to be going well, still things to learn before I can be particularly useful, but I'm making good progress.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:40 pm UTC

Changes everythONG!

mscha

Time Randomly Revisited - np2266

Postby mscha » Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:00 pm UTC

CRONGLES...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:THE BRAINSLUG IS TOO CH*RPING AWESOMEFUL

-- posted by randompixbot

Migratory Chicken

Postby Migratory Chicken » Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:58 pm UTC

NP 1003/2174 I finally arrived upon Signpost Alpha! (Or "Beacon Alpha" as it's called; I suppose that's the same thing.) And therefore, as requested by AluisioASG, I'll report on my travel. I haven't made much progress toward my blitz in the last month, probably because of work getting in the way, but I still try to keep pressing on. At this point I'm not sure if "blitz" really is the correct word to describe what I'm doing. Lightning is fast; I've been going at it for more than a year. I guess when I'll finally arrive in the present, whenever that will be, I'll have to request a title like "BlitzGirl the Slow" or something. Although that sounds a bit pejorative; maybe "the Persistent" would be better. Anyway, I still have a long time to think about it.

Right now the atmosphere in the OTT is festive, because we've just crossed NP 1000. Cakes and gifts (such as a second Boom de Yada song from yappobiscuits) abound. By papal decree, Timewaiters are recounting their first memory of the OTC. In my case, it's been so long I can barely remember, but I either read Randall's blog post about the whole adventure, or some other article about the OTC. This lead me to the Book of Geekwagon, and to the Wiki (most of which I couldn't understand very well at the time), and thence to the OTT because I wanted to truly experience the thing. What I don't remember though is how I came to learn about the OTC in the first place. What was I looking for on the Internet to find this?

In any case, the OTT has truly enriched my life. A post by mscha about the difference between Holland and the Netherlands introduced me to the videos of CGP Grey (through this one), and in the process of watching them I learned about other interesting educational channels on Youtube, such as CrashCourse (and other projects of John and Hank Green), Periodic Videos (and other projects of Brady Haran), etc. This, of course, also had the unexpected effect of slowing down my blitz. :oops: But I don't mind.

I believe Cuegan are very close to finding evidence of civilisation. They just started moving again after their long night, and should find an observation tower in the next fewpix. I may post or not when I get there depending on whether I find something I'd like to respond to in the OTT. But I will definitely post when Cuegan actually first meet people.

BlitzGirl

ENAP: 1 so far

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:11 pm UTC

Thanks for the report, Migratory Chicken! "The Persistent" would be an excellent title. :)
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:00 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:safira has been rewritten in ECMAScript6. Anyone want to peek at the source code?
Yes, please.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

balthasar_s

bftf-0501

Postby balthasar_s » Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:32 am UTC

WHAT IF EVERYONE ACTUALLY HAD ONLY ONE OTTERMOLPY, A RANDOM CUSTARD SOMEWHERE ONG THE SEA? -- automome
Spoiler:
-- posted by bothasar_p

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:47 am UTC

Poor guy on the left. It's hard to match the OTC in terms of attention-grabbing.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Eternal Density

CROUCHING HAMPLY, HIDDEN LIZARD

Postby Eternal Density » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:50 am UTC

Firefly! Shiny!

On the topic of the Sustainable University of Sustainability, I think my attendance level can be updated to 0.9. Now I have to figure out important stuff like when I can get flights, how might it will cost, where I'll be staying, transport, how much all that will cost, food, other places I might visit while I'm in the country and thus how long I actually want to visit for...
Oh and turn my various ideas into a talk and a poster.
I doubt any family will be with me. Partly because that's generally the busy season for StormAngel, and partly because I'm the only one with a passport. And more people is more money without more paid speakers.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:07 am UTC

This post will be short, partly because I'm on my MTA (unManageable Time Accessor) and partly because I'm in Healdsburg, CA. There are many wine tasting rooms in Healdsburg. I have visited several of them. I am now dining in an effort to be able to drive to.my friend's house. It may take some Time.

Nice to hear from Migratory Chicken! And everyone else, of course. Molpy on!

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

BlitzGirl

Re: Time Randomly Revisited - np2266

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:58 am UTC

AUTOMOME wrote:THE BRAINSLUG IS TOO CH*RPING AWESOMEFUL

Oh no, who gave AUTOMOME a brainslug?
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ucim

Postby ucim » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:15 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:This post will be short, partly because I'm on my MTA (unManageable Time Accessor) and partly because I'm in Healdsburg, CA. There are many wine tasting rooms in Healdsburg. I have visited several of them. I am now dining in an effort to be able to drive to.my friend's house. It may take some Time.
Ahhh, Healdsburg. Good times - a favorite spot of mine. So much wine - I think it's laudable that you have set out to help out on the consumption end. It's a tough job, but somebody's got to do it!

Any favorite wines? I favor Cabernet Franc, and wines from Amphora and Hanna. Among others. Many others. I keep striving to find out how many others, but it's a blitz like unto the sea!

And I see that's my 2600th post. I think I'm supposed to ch*rp or something, right?

Pinot is also quite fine.
Eating goes well with that wine.
Never however eat
inside. It's obsolete.
Surely it can't be benign.

Jose

ZoomanSP

Postby ZoomanSP » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:36 am UTC

Happy 2600 posts, ucim!
Spoiler:

For you, it's of course a rosé.
Wait on.

Spoiler:

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:53 am UTC

Steakish RNM poem, ucim! Molpish 2600!
More cake:
Spoiler:
And because I've probably missed some puns you've made:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

balthasar_s

bftf-0502

Postby balthasar_s » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:49 am UTC

HELLO? YES, THIS IS MIDDLE BONGS BROTHER -- automome
Spoiler:
-- posted by bothasar_p

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:52 am UTC

Newpix > Help
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”