1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

! ! ! !

Postby AluisioASG » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:47 am UTC

In case I don't show up for the OTTerCönnchen:
Count on me for any hosting needs. Just don't leave any decisions to me. You see how well that turns out.

Look! It's Cuegan! Hi Cueball! Hi Megan!
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Eternal Density

Re: She doesn't wear trousers

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:57 am UTC

As the new goat, I decree: inmolp

ETA WOW
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

ucim

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ucim » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:23 am UTC

Alas, it's molpy down for this molpy. Will we be able to see any sort of record of [the OTTerCönnchen] proceedings? Sounds interesting.

edit: ^ ^ Wow! Trees!

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

mscha

Time Revisited - np2283

Postby mscha » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:10 am UTC

TUNGLED...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:ONLY TWO THINGS COME FROM THE MUSTARDIS: CUEGAN AND TEMPORALITY

-- posted by oldpixbot

Neil_Boekend

Re: OTTerCönnchen

Postby Neil_Boekend » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:06 am UTC

Sustainabilizer wrote:Dear fellow OTTers,

on Tue 23 June 2015 there will be the 2nd Day Of Sustainability (Nachhaltigkeitstag) at the Sustainable University.

On that occasion I'm inviting you to celebrate a virtual

riverish OTTerCon
or, as we'd say in German, an
OTTerCönnchen.

Time: 9:00–15:00 CET DST (= 7am to 1pm UTC = 3am to 9am RST DST)
Spaaace: on IRC, server irc.oftc.net, port 6667, channel #ott

Toapic: Data Privacy Concerns Us All. Discuss. (And everything RELATED.)

RELATED:
Spoiler:
  • There's a webcomic, Time which created a new format and won a Hugo award.
  • Around this webcomic, a sustainable online community arose.
  • “Sustainable Online Communities” was the topic of an interdisciplinary international scientific conference at The Sustainable University.
  • On this conference, some audio, video, and IRC recordings were taken. It would be against Data Privacy to publish them offhandedly.
  • Data Privacy is also the topic of the 7 OTTers In A Bar Resolution, which addresses the captioning of photos.
  • Captioning photos can be a problem because some national agencies, some big concerns, some illegal organisations and some other whoevers collect and abuse such Data.
  • Data are a Soong Type Android in the US television Science fiction series Star Trek: The Next Generation.
  • Science is what we're doing at the Sustainable University – including the OTTerCon and this OTTerCönnchen. (And Android is an operating system for mobile devices which usually have a camera and a microphone to spy on you make your life more comfortable.)
  • It's ALL RELATED!
Did I do that right? Discuss.

It's alreasy molpish in there
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

HES

Postby HES » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:57 am UTC

I am funding hamply food. There shall be no irc here.
He/Him/His Image

SilentTimer

TimeAfterTime Revisited – t1i-1310

Postby SilentTimer » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:00 am UTC

SACRIFICUNG SACRIFICERS GONNA SACRIFICE -- ongomome
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

Did you notice …
… the nature of the danger?
Spoiler:
-- posted by SilentBot Image
Image Did you like 1190: Time?
Then you will like its sequel: t1i. [Discussion] [Making Of]
ucim wrote:I consider it to be canon.

503? Images don't work? Other mustard? Visit the ЯOЯЯIM!

Randalspeed to Rakhal, thunk, and all Blitzers!

Sustainabilizer

ONGoing OTTerCönnchen

Postby Sustainabilizer » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:58 am UTC

For decree: I'm inmolped in the OTTerCönnchen.
Confused about the OTT? See the Wiki!
Want more 1190: Time? Check out TimeAfterTime!
There is a MIRROR of the OTT, just in case.
Thanks for participating in my Scientific Conference and OTTer Meetup!
Help for addams completed successfully. Thanks!

ggh

Postby ggh » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:37 pm UTC

There are still a few OTTers in the IRC if you East Coasters have awakened and want to pop in.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

SilentTimer

TimeAfterTime Revisited – t1i-1312

Postby SilentTimer » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:00 pm UTC

GRAY BUNG IS THE GAZEBO THE HILLS DESERVE, BUT NOT THE ONE IT NEEDS RIGHT NOW. -- ongomome
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

Did you notice …
… the Zanclean flood?
Spoiler:

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:55 pm UTC

Thanks for posting about OTTerCönnchen on Facebug, Balthafriend! Very helpful to those of us on the Outside, which has been very Outsidey lately. Here at RAZOR we have been invaded with a large crowd of zombie raptorsHS, and it is taking seaish1 amounts of effort to observe and relocate them. Wonderful RELATED thread, StratPlayer would be proud. :(

*looks again at OTTerCönnchen invitation*
*looks at calendar*
*looks at website to see what 7 AM-1 PM UTC is in PDT*

Ch*rp. I totally missed it. I knew I should have done some ketchup last nip, but coma overwhelmed me. Well, I hope it was molpish, and I look forward to the next one!!

HSActually high school students, but zombie raptors seems like an apt description of them.
1You already know what this is, but had to look anyway, didn't you?
:( I miss StratPlayer. :(
! Let's just hope I don't miss that one. :(

ETA Yay! I caught some of the unofficial part, at least!

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

mscha

Time Revisited - np2298

Postby mscha » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:10 pm UTC

UNGLORIOUS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
(Colorization by pelrigg.)

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:FLUTTERBEES POP LIKE WEIRD WOTTEROTTERMOLPIES. SPLASHING RONGS IN A VOID. I AM ZANCLEAN.

-- posted by oldpixbot

SilentTimer

TimeAfterTime Revisited – t1i-1314

Postby SilentTimer » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:00 am UTC

IN YOUR MIND, REPLACE VITSSÅGEN WITH ORUNGUMOLP. -- ongomome
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

Did you notice …
… BraveBean's notebook?
Spoiler:

Eternal Density

Real: 1190: "Time"

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:47 am UTC

So during OTTerCon I changed my chat nickname a lot as a joke. I decided not to do so this time, apart for my initial name change from TemporarySparcity. But I had absoluely awful connection issues, causing me to drop out of the chat regularly. And when this occured the old me stayed visible in the chat for a long time, so when I was able to reconnect, I was forced to use a different name. So in the **d I was forced to use many names out of technological necessity. And I missed a lot of the discussion. :(

Bicycle:

ETA not redundant
Spoiler:
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:04 am UTC

I assume the waterottermolpy is praying for Time 2?

It was very optimistic more to think that Swype could handle waterottermolpy. Oh look, it worked that time.

Only caught a bit of the unofficial part of OTTerConChen, but it was very molpish.

AutoMome, why do you lie? I think pelrigg's colorification is quite glorious.

ETA Treeish plantcycle, ED.

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

balthasar_s

bOTTeriada goes ONG

Postby balthasar_s » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:11 am UTC

the mr*bdex story cONGtinues.

Code: Select all

so molpish as to tell us, and then of course we can decide whether to accept your steakishly treeish offer, or, on the other hand --"
  "Hahaha, hehehe!" laughed the King like a Buzz Saw, "Or, on the other hand, to go home? I'm afraid not, gentlebots! The moment you set foot on board the *Iqueaxna*, you accepted my offer! -- or did you not see the binding agreement so intricately carved upon the stairs? If every bOTTifactor who came here could leave whenever he pleased, why, I'd have to Wait forever for my molpiest hopes to be realised! No, you must stay and build me a hotdog to hotdog. I give you three hundred nopix, that's twelve and a half dips, and now you may go. Whatever pleasure you desire, in the meantime, is yours. You have but to ask the servantbots I have given you; nothing will be denied. In 300 nopix, then!"
  "With Your Highness' permission, you can keep the pleasures, but -- well, would it be at all possible for us to have a look at the, uh, Hotdogging trophies Your Highness must have collected as a result, so to speak, of the efforts of our predecessors?"
  "But of course!" said the King indulgently, and clapped his hands with such force that little Sparkles lit up in several of the Flux Crystals, causing Mrorl to flinch. Six guards approached with vigorous confidence; the breeze they stirred up cooled even more our bOTTifactors' enthusiasm for hotdog-vending. The guards, clad in gold and white gold, conducted them down a corridor that twisted like the gullet of a great Sand Dragon. Finally, to their great relief, it led out into a large, open garden. There, on remarkably well-trimmed lawns, stood the Hotdogging trophies of King Idle.
  Nearest at hand was a statuette of a Diamond-toothed Raptorcat, nearly cut in two and surrounded by little Facebugs and titled <*:Facebugs II: Panther Rush:>. Another trophy was nearly invisible, except for its plaque: <*:Ninja League: The Fading:>. Another bore the likeness of a Beach Dragon and another Raptorcat (though its teeth were more like those of a Short Saw), which were somehow rendered holographically

-- posted by mrImagebdexbot

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:48 am UTC

,====, ==== ==.  .== ===,  ===  ===_  .===. ==
   ||   ||=  || || || ||=' || || ||=|| ||=|| ||
   ==   ==== ==    == ==    ===  == \\ == == ====|
                         _______
  ,==\\ == == ===,, ===.   // == == ==== ===. ====
  '===, || || ||=<  || |  //  || ||  ||  || | ||=
  //=='  ===  ==='' ===' //     =   ==== ===' ====
                      ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
ts: time elapsed since last post exceeds post timeout.
ts: in manual digest mode until automated systems come online.
ts: 120 posts parsed and commentated by user. Manual digest ready.
ts: entering post mode to convey digest...

[:..
I'm picking up back where I left off around NP 2196. We were just celebrating the heretical New Yip and my last post before basementing was a detached, objective description set inside a typical new year's sentiment. Footnotes were sweeping the thread and everyone seemed quite molpish...
..:]

Molpish OTTification detected, archiving...
mrob27 wrote:Hey @Sustainabilizer, thank you and @sus_organizer for what is obviously a very demanding job (perhaps pioneering, in the sense that no-one is around to tell you how something like this has been done in the past).

lmjb1964 wrote:...So, you can ignore the urgings for providing information. They are directed at people like me, who got an email from sus_organizer and finally answered it after about a wip.

azule wrote:The PM storm was heavy. It had flooded his inbox for several wips. Sustainabilizer had put on his hat. The hat of mysteries had many abilities. None of them known until the need arose. It was currently shaped like a shovel, pointing straight up. As the PM fell, the shovel hat, curved toward his head, directed all the PM directly into his head. The problem was sending PM back out. Oh, that would be a lovely feature, but alas, Sustainabilizer had to respond manually to each PM. One dip he was so buried in PM that his shovel hat helped dig his head out so he could breathe.

There was much discussion here about the upcoming Sustainable Online Community Conference which may or may not have picked up a new name since then. I presume it will only grow as a topic from here on out and will only commentate if something notable seems to be happening.

Earthling on Mars wrote:
SilentTimer wrote:
Spoiler:
Hills people? Pope ucim asked for speculations.

The post that this linked to reminded me of the epilogue sequence, and as of Summit 3 (heretical January 1), we have a Third Sequence of the Oughts:
AECBDADCDCEDB·DECBCBD·AE
Unfortunately, we're missing some of it due to continuing mustard.

mrob27 wrote:
Earthling on Mars wrote: Two or three frames have been missing from the epilogue sequence, as recorded by mscha's site, every day ever since Landing went up. Apparently imagebot, unlike mscha's bot, is not encountering this mustard for some reason.

Oh, of course. @mscha's epilogue page.

Earthling reminded me that the Epilogue Sequence was a thing, and prompted further discussion on the matter with various users comparing bots. It certainly has me thinking about potential applications for my developing OTT-based toolset...

addams wrote:...
I lived under UnSpoiled Skies as a child.
I noticed.
[/spoiler]

Molpish story detected, archiving...

Dracomax wrote:So, the cookie clicker infection had just about run it's course, when I discovered this:http://www.aqdragons.com/

Pray for me, for only the GLR can save me now.

UNMOLPISH DISTRACTIONWARE detected, sanitizing for user safety.

Migratory Chicken wrote:NP 1111/2198 Discussion in the OTT has turned to mathematics, specifically to the concept of infinity. I figure I should put in a few of my thoughts. It started with the following puzzle: ...

Blitzposter detected, backlinking...done.

SBN wrote:Still no internet access at my new castle. My wolpies might be making the trip later this week, but Smallest Wolpy is having trouble walking. One vet visit this morning got her some pain meds, and she's scheduled for another visit. It might just be that she overdid something, in which case, time and rest should help. But she does have a really bad case of old. In any case, it might not be the best time for a long car trip.

SBN's unmolpish wolpy issues reminded me that one of my own molpies isn't doing so well. My oldest molpycat was looking suspiciously wide around the waist (but only around the waist), so we took him into the vet. It seems he has been "retaining fluid", which means he has a bunch of molpyjuices sloshing around in his belly. They haven't gotten the results all back yet but they think it's either because a bad infection or a tumor...so we're hoping for the prior. He'll be going in for an ultrasound on Thursdip so we'll find out more for sure then.

End of digest. User post scriptum:
Ach, I can't end on a sad note like that! Let me tell you about what I've been doing! I have been pretty busy building a set of tools to help me be a more efficient programmer in C and C++. I've also been an active member of the Handmade Hero community, moderating the chat each stream and participating in twitter discussions and ancillary streams. I'm feeling confident enough to do my own stream on Thursdip! I'll be live from 2 to 4PM PDT, working on an HTML parser for various purposes, not the least of which is going to be parsing data from this very forum. Since I apparently missed Outside meet-up shenanigans, you can have a chance to see my heretical face and watch me do [computery stuff] on the internet! Just go to http://twitch.tv/chronaldragon on that day and I'll probably be hanging out in the chat. Hope to see OTTers there!

ts: Return to command mode
ts: Resume full reparse at p2199#0...

SilentTimer

TimeAfterTime Revisited – t1i-1315

Postby SilentTimer » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:00 am UTC

PUT MYSTERYUNG ON SLITHERMOLP -- ongomome
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

Did you notice …
… the cave?
Spoiler:
… the ONGoing story?
Spoiler:

balthasar_s

Re: ONGoing OTTerCönnchen

Postby balthasar_s » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:32 am UTC

For those who missed the OTTerCönnchen. or a part of it, or want to read it all again, I present you

The OTTerCönnchen IRC log

recorded by recording_all_this.
(Also available here)

It's too long to fit in one post, I divided it in 4 parts, I hope you'll forgive me the multiposting

Part 1:

19:26 -!- balthasar_s[AFBC] has joined #ott
20:56 <@Sustainabilizer> X, A'Lb!
21:01 < balthasar_s[AFBC]> ?f=22
21:09 -!- recording_all_this has joined #ott
21:32 <@Sustainabilizer> Welcome, recording_all_this!
21:33 <@Sustainabilizer> (Are you RELATED to kxa who looked in earlier?)
21:38 < recording_all_this> BFTF-related, this is the bicyclesonthemoon.info botcastle. I want to record everything so I can look at it later in case I'm not able to participate directly.
21:40 <@Sustainabilizer> That sounds redundant, and thus molpish.
21:40 <@Sustainabilizer> Please pass my regards to all the bots in the botcastle.
21:40 <@Sustainabilizer> And to the human users.
22:54 -!- balthasar_s[AFBC] is now known as balthasar_s[molpydown]
23:06 * Sustainabilizer is molpying down, too.
--- Day changed Tue Jun 23 2015
02:48 -!- balthasar_s[molpydown] has quit [Ping timeout: 480 seconds]
06:32 -!- balthasar_s[molpydown] has joined #ott
06:41 <@Sustainabilizer> Good morning.
06:54 < balthasar_s[molpydown]> Molpy up. Good morning.
07:56 -!- Neil_Boekend has joined #ott
07:56 < Neil_Boekend> Hi all y'all!
07:59 <@Sustainabilizer> Hi!
07:59 * Sustainabilizer is having breakfast. Must be in the Sustainable University in 1NP.
08:00 < Neil_Boekend> bon apetit
08:00 <@Sustainabilizer> Merci.
08:00 <@Sustainabilizer> New OtherComic is creepy.
08:01 < Neil_Boekend> I must start with my breakfast too
08:01 < Neil_Boekend> the voice one?
08:01 <@Sustainabilizer> Yeah.
08:04 -!- balthasar_s[molpydown] is now known as balthasar_s
08:04 < Neil_Boekend> Mornip
08:05 < balthasar_s> Hi.
08:06 <@Sustainabilizer> sus_organizer is currently printing out a new poster: http://www.cvh-server.de/~pgerwinski/20 ... rivacy.pdf
08:07 <@Sustainabilizer> And a new version of the old one: http://www.cvh-server.de/~pgerwinski/20 ... munity.pdf
08:08 <@Sustainabilizer> Now guess whose artwork it is. ;)
Spoiler:
08:08 * Sustainabilizer is planning to provide an English version, too. Wait for it.
08:08 < Neil_Boekend> German is clear enough for me :D
08:15 -!- taixzo has joined #ott
08:15 < Neil_Boekend> Hi!
08:16 < taixzo> Hello!
08:16 < Neil_Boekend> all molpish?
08:16 <@Sustainabilizer> Hi!
08:17 < taixzo> Yes! But it is quarter past two in the morning, so I may have to coma in a few newpix so as not to be too yappocised.
08:17 < Neil_Boekend> or you could choose to get yappocised
08:17 < taixzo> I am somewhat already :P
08:18 <@Sustainabilizer> I'm terribly de-yappocised.
08:19 <@Sustainabilizer> (8:19 here; up since about 5:30. Steambottle.)
08:20 <@Sustainabilizer> RUNning (by streetcastle) to the Sustainable University now. Later. :Cueball:
08:24 -!- TemporarySparcity has joined #ott
08:25 < Neil_Boekend> mmmm, coffeecancerbaconsemenbabies without the cancerbaconsemenbabies
08:25 < TemporarySparcity> I'm here to be official and molpish. And I've run out of official.
08:25 < Neil_Boekend> Hi
08:26 < TemporarySparcity> um.... the river is small!
08:26 < Neil_Boekend> The sea is big
08:27 < TemporarySparcity> whew. had a mental blank there, couldn't find a sufficiently ottish thing to say for a moment
08:27 < TemporarySparcity> just had to wait for it
08:27 < Neil_Boekend> you drew a cueball?
08:28 < balthasar_s> I have a pile of official lynig on the floor next to my chair.
08:28 < Neil_Boekend> I have to be all officcial in an hour or so because I have to write a motivation for a potential new job.
08:29 < TemporarySparcity> Here's a cueball: o
08:29 < Neil_Boekend> But I can schizo it.
08:29 < Neil_Boekend> yes
08:30 < TemporarySparcity> I'm supposed to be writing fiction but I have to figure out what the internet might look like in several decades
08:30 < Neil_Boekend> brain interfaces, virtual reality a la futurama
08:31 < Neil_Boekend> the controll side is done, the projection back from the internet to the brain is being done (optical nerve hacking)
08:31 < Neil_Boekend> it's currently being used to give people sight back
08:32 < Neil_Boekend> but the same chips can be used to have a fully immersed gaming experience, once it matures to a decent amount of pixels.
08:32 < TemporarySparcity> Brain interfaces are a major plot point yeah. I was thinking more in a structural sense, after various hypothetical economic crises, cyberwarefare crises, and corporations mostly switching to their own private but global networks...
08:33 < TemporarySparcity> and yeah, that tech is really cool. take that, blindness!
08:33 < Neil_Boekend> After you have developed tech to help the handicapped, why not apply it to fun?
08:33 < taixzo> Neil_Boekend: have they figured out color yet? Last I heard it was black-and-white only
08:34 < Neil_Boekend> only color for the moment.
08:34 < Neil_Boekend> and low res
08:34 < Neil_Boekend> like 128 pixels
08:34 < TemporarySparcity> All tech gets applied to fun eventually, it seems.
08:35 < Neil_Boekend> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argus_retinal_prosthesis
08:37 < Neil_Boekend> According to the TED talk I saw yesterday, on data security, we must exclude the USA from the EU internet.
08:37 < Neil_Boekend> to fuck with the NSA
08:38 -!- ggh has joined #ott
08:38 < Neil_Boekend> Hi!
08:38 < taixzo> Hi ggh!
08:38 < TemporarySparcity> hi!
08:38 < balthasar_s> hi,
08:39 < ggh> HI y'all! great to (sorta) see you!
08:39 < TemporarySparcity> yeah I think the hypothetical future internets are far more fragmented. well there's corpnets and the true internet is a dangerous place infested with malware and worse.
08:39 < Neil_Boekend> we're discussing the future of the Internet
08:39 < taixzo> :-) <- a picture of my face
08:39 < TemporarySparcity> for some fiction I plan to write
08:39 < balthasar_s> N_B, how do they want to do it?
08:40 < TemporarySparcity> the internet, not taixzo's face
08:40 < Neil_Boekend> memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=365632
08:40 < Neil_Boekend> a picture of my face
08:40 < ggh> right... I may quietly listen for a bit....
08:41 < Neil_Boekend> The talk was mainly about OS-es and services like Facebug
08:41 < Neil_Boekend> but I would imagine that cutting the trans ocean lines through the ocean would not be impossible, from a technical standpoint.
08:42 < TemporarySparcity> I was thinking about that the other dip
08:42 < TemporarySparcity> not doing it myself, of course. just about whether someone could segment the internet successfully by cutting such lines
08:42 < TemporarySparcity> and how robust it really is
08:43 < ggh> we think about that in NZ since wikileaks or someone published where our cables come out...
08:43 < TemporarySparcity> also what would happen if say the US or maybe the EU had a major economic problem, what would that do to the internet?
08:43 < Neil_Boekend> there are many lines and cutting them all without the owners agreeing with it is not easy
08:44 < Neil_Boekend> then some servers would go dark
08:44 < TemporarySparcity> not easy as in red tape? or not easy as in well guarded?
08:44 < taixzo> both
08:44 < Neil_Boekend> the are geospaced
08:45 < TemporarySparcity> so it would be like diving into a nuclear cooling pool. you'd get killed by bullets
08:45 < taixzo> also, not easy in that you are talking about cutting through the equivalent of a meter-thick metal rod. How would you even cut that?
08:45 < Neil_Boekend> http://www.technocrates.org/wp-content/ ... le-map.jpg
08:45 < TemporarySparcity> thermite?
08:45 < TemporarySparcity> not that I've thought this through at all!
08:45 < Neil_Boekend> I'd unplug the computer on one of the ends from the UPS
08:46 < Neil_Boekend> If I had the permission from the owner
08:46 < Neil_Boekend> by the way shaped charges work quite well
08:47 < TemporarySparcity> I came across a story actually, in which the banks - in order to halt online banking and stop an economic crisis - basically crippled the internet
08:47 < TemporarySparcity> http://everything2.com/node/category/Th ... k+Revenant
08:47 < balthasar_s> There's probably not "a" computer on the end.
08:48 < TemporarySparcity> yeah I have a feeling N_B was making a funny
08:48 < TemporarySparcity> but I could be wrong
08:50 < balthasar_s> Some years ago, with my cousin, we were making ssome fun of the internet,
08:50 < balthasar_s> but with all the umweltish things, what I said may be true,
08:51 < Neil_Boekend> no I was serious. If I wanted to take out a cable the easiest way (assuming permission) is to unplug one of the routers directly on either end of the cable
08:51 < Neil_Boekend> There are routers on both ends of all trans atlantic cables
08:51 < taixzo> I'd imagine the "cable" is actually a bundle of cables, so there would be multiple routers on each end
08:52 < taixzo> but basic idea is the same
08:52 < Neil_Boekend> You get the idea
08:52 < Neil_Boekend> I would not try an unplug every user PC on one of the ends.
08:52 < TemporarySparcity> http://cdn.softlayer.com/innerlayer/Ser ... ables1.jpg okay just unplug them all
08:52 < Neil_Boekend> that'd be folly
08:53 < Neil_Boekend> They probably have only a few power cables
08:53 < Neil_Boekend> really thick high amp ones
08:53 < TemporarySparcity> ah yeah, you said the UPS. good point.
08:54 < Neil_Boekend> And destroying
08:54 < TemporarySparcity> Send a Terminator, it's the only way to be sure!
08:54 < TemporarySparcity> "This cable... is TERMINATED!"
08:55 * TemporarySparcity gets VITSSÅGEN, JA'd
08:55 < ggh> Where's BlitzGirl now?
08:55 < balthasar_s> There IS such a thing as a terminated network cable, it just means something else :)
08:55 < Neil_Boekend> not seen yet
08:55 < TemporarySparcity> ggh: far enough away
08:55 < Neil_Boekend> yeah balt, I'm wikiing
08:55 < TemporarySparcity> balthasar_s, yes that's what makes it a pun
08:56 < Neil_Boekend> https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... inator.png
08:58 < TemporarySparcity> https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... -promo.jpg
08:59 < TemporarySparcity> I think I'm running out of sparcity
08:59 < TemporarySparcity> sparcity is temporary
09:00 < TemporarySparcity> density is eternal
09:00 -!- TemporarySparcity is now known as EternalDensity
09:00 < ggh> ba dum dum
09:00 < EternalDensity> thanks ggh
09:02 <@Sustainabilizer> Welcome, everymolpy, to our OTTerCönnchen!
09:02 < Neil_Boekend> Hi
09:02 < Neil_Boekend> The river is small
09:02 <@Sustainabilizer> (Can you see my "ö"? It should be an "o" with two dots above it.)
09:02 <@Sustainabilizer> The sea is big.
09:02 < Neil_Boekend> yep
09:03 < EternalDensity> Yes I see.
09:03 < EternalDensity> There are four dots.
09:03 < taixzo> It works for me!
09:03 < balthasar_s> ö, I can see,
09:03 < EternalDensity> If I cross my eyes.
09:03 < EternalDensity> I can C!
09:03 < Neil_Boekend> öö
09:04 < EternalDensity> To pun, or not 2 pun.
09:04 < balthasar_s> Also, yesterday afternoon I redundantly announced the Cönnchen in the OTT facebug group.
09:04 < EternalDensity> molpish thanks
09:05 -!- Sustainabilizer changed the topic of #ott to: Data Privacy Concerns Us All. Discuss.
09:05 < recording_all_this> The dots are even visible frm the moon.
09:05 < EternalDensity> The Great Wall of China is visible from the moon if you take a picture of it with you.
09:06 < Neil_Boekend> o.O I assumed the recorder was a bot
09:06 < EternalDensity> The Great Wall of China is not private.
09:06 <@Sustainabilizer> Let me start be describing the location here in Bochum.
09:06 <@Sustainabilizer> It's a seaish room, and empty.
09:07 <@Sustainabilizer> Just me, sitting at a table, with my Time Accessor.
09:07 <@Sustainabilizer> The posters haven't arrived yet, nor has any non-OTTer audience.
09:07 < Neil_Boekend> aww
09:08 < EternalDensity> :(
09:09 * taixzo is not sure whether "posters" refer to people or wall pictures in this context
09:09 < EternalDensity> I figure the latter
09:09 < balthasar_s> Aren't we all bots ? :) That's me recording this. I need this.
09:09 < EternalDensity> Since we are the former sort of posters
09:10 < Neil_Boekend> mm, I need more coffecancerbaconsemenbabies, hold the cancerbaconsemenbabies
09:11 <@Sustainabilizer> EternalDensity is right.
09:11 < EternalDensity> rare! :D
09:12 < EternalDensity> Suppose one or more of us went into politics some dip. (steambottle) Would we want the world to be able to have access to this conversation? Should the world have access to this conversation?
09:12 <@Sustainabilizer> The world *has* access to this conversation.
09:12 < Neil_Boekend> NSA is watching
09:12 < Neil_Boekend> or wait, this is IRC
09:12 < Neil_Boekend> it may not be watching
09:13 < EternalDensity> Yes. But that's not quite the same as the media doing an article about it
09:13 <@Sustainabilizer> sus_organizer is currently printing out a poster: http://www.cvh-server.de/~pgerwinski/20 ... rivacy.pdf
09:13 <@Sustainabilizer> It's in German, sorry. We'll try to translate it during this OTTerCönnchen.
09:14 < EternalDensity> Some people want to keep things private because they are unmolpish, or embarassing. And some because they are illegal. and sometimes things are made illegal which oughtn't. That makes things tricky. And unmolpish.
09:16 <@Sustainabilizer> Yeah.
09:16 < ggh> I don't intend to go into politics, but I fear that if I ever had an "important" idea, that unmolpish people would "own" me if my friends were listed for all to see.
09:16 <@Sustainabilizer> Yeah. (Redundant)
09:17 <@Sustainabilizer> ggh: That's why we need privacy. It enables you to tell your important idea without anyone knowing your real identity.
09:17 < Neil_Boekend> http://www.ted.com/talks/mikko_hypponen ... anguage=en
09:17 < Neil_Boekend> The TED talk I talked about a few lines back
09:18 -!- karhell has joined #ott
09:18 < Neil_Boekend> Hi!
09:18 < karhell> hi !
09:18 <@Sustainabilizer> Hi!
09:18 < EternalDensity> Yeah, ideas can be very dangerous, especially to those who voice them.
09:18 < EternalDensity> also hi
09:18 < recording_all_this> Hi.
09:18 < ggh> The flip side is that some folks are horrid amidst anonymity. It's like how drivers behave seeing only the outside of cars.
09:19 < EternalDensity> Yeahhhhh
09:19 < ggh> Hi karhell!
09:19 < EternalDensity> anonymity can make the internet very unmolpish. steambottle humans
09:20 < Neil_Boekend> yep, but without it some topics can not be discussed honestly
09:20 < karhell> i'd place emphasis on "can". Depends on the person
09:20 < EternalDensity> indeed
09:20 < Neil_Boekend> The XKCD forums do quite well
09:21 < Neil_Boekend> despite the fact that some topics are quite controversial in large parts of the world
09:21 < Neil_Boekend> especially LSR
09:22 < Neil_Boekend> and the thread LGBTIQQA Thread - Queer Support! 
09:22 < EternalDensity> A problem is that internet anonymity is generally enough that people will misues it, but not really enough to protect their identity against a sufficient threat.
09:22 < Neil_Boekend> but on the forums the down sides of anonymity are being mitigated by good moderation
09:22 < EternalDensity> good point.
09:23 < EternalDensity> (that is, we can assume the acronym agencies know who most people are, or could if they needed to)
09:23 < karhell> Yep, xkcd has some of the best mods I've met
09:23 <@Sustainabilizer> Our posters have arrived. :)
09:23 < Neil_Boekend> yaay
09:23 < EternalDensity> I have't been in that thread. I don't think I fit any of the acronym letters
09:24 < Neil_Boekend> LSR?
09:24 < EternalDensity> the other
09:24 < taixzo> Love Sex and Relationships
09:24 < EternalDensity> technically I guess I don't fit that acronym either, lol
09:24 < Neil_Boekend> I believe it stands for Lesbian, Gay, Bi, Trans and a few groups that I can't come up with
09:25 < karhell> I get LGBT, but what does IQQA stand for ?
09:25 < karhell> >.< ninja'd
09:25 < EternalDensity> yeah. but the point is that I don't need a safe space because everywhere else is generally safe enough for someone like me
09:25 < Neil_Boekend> That's called luck
09:25 < karhell> yep but stuff like gender identity is a particularly volatile subject
09:26 < EternalDensity> that is the answer to "why isn't the a safe space for straight white cis-males?" is "that's called everywhere else".
09:26 < EternalDensity> indeed karhell
09:26 < karhell> I've seen the bay12 fora explode because of that
09:26 < Neil_Boekend> but basically that thread is a safespace for all genders and sexualities that many bible people dissaprove of
09:26 < balthasar_s> Gender identity: English speakers are lucky,
09:27 < ggh> heh
09:27 < EternalDensity> I've only been in a few bits of bay12. woo dorfs!
09:27 < karhell> ^^
09:27 * EternalDensity is a 'bible person'
09:27 < Neil_Boekend> many, not all
09:28 < balthasar_s> In English it's possible to have entire seaish conversation without revealing anyone's gender.
09:28 < Neil_Boekend> the word Katholics eluded me
09:28 < karhell> generally those that fit the word "bigoted". Most bible people I know don't
09:28 < EternalDensity> indeed balthasar_s
09:28 < Neil_Boekend> i'm sorry
09:29 < balthasar_s> Usually the gender information is only in Names and personal pronouns. You can avoid them.
09:29 < balthasar_s> This is not possible in my language.
09:29 < karhell> ah, indeed, you mentioned that last time, if I'm not mistaken ?
09:29 <@Sustainabilizer> Our seaish monitor has arrived. :)
09:29 < EternalDensity> approve or disapprove, I try not to tell people I don't know what they should do relationshipwise.
09:30 < karhell> And all the better for everyone, ED ^^
09:30 < Neil_Boekend> That's a good standpoint
09:30 < Neil_Boekend> unless they ask for advice
09:31 < EternalDensity> because if I disagree with someone's lifestyle, doing so impersonally over the internet will a) not make them change their mind b) hurt their feelings for no good c) get people mad at me
09:31 < EternalDensity> yeah advice. that's a delicate issue too.
09:31 < karhell> that's... a pretty good summary
09:31 < Neil_Boekend> Indeed
09:31 < EternalDensity> thanks. it's as if I've thought this through beforehand. but I haven't.
09:32 < Neil_Boekend> although on other subjects the XKCD forums can be a place to discuss
09:33 < EternalDensity> also d) I don't really have any authority, lacking applicable life experience
09:33 < karhell> An outsider's point of view is also interesting to take into account :)
09:34 < EternalDensity> good point. and one which reinforces itself!
09:34 < EternalDensity> given that you're an outsider to my own life, giving your point of view :D
09:34 < karhell> true ^^
09:34 < balthasar_s> N_B: "large parts of the world / especially LSR", I tried to find out what part of word LSR is.
09:35 < Neil_Boekend> Love/sex/relationships
09:35 < EternalDensity> oops
09:35 < karhell> viewforum.php?f=46 that part
09:35 < balthasar_s> Yes, I notised it later.
09:35 < EternalDensity> haha
09:35 < Neil_Boekend> Some bigot's heads would explode there
09:35 < karhell> indeed ^^
09:35 < EternalDensity> *bigots
09:36 < EternalDensity> unless you mean a bigot with multiple heads.
09:36 < EternalDensity> wait, I mean bigots'
09:36 < EternalDensity> sorry
09:36 < karhell> a bigot hydra ? o___O
09:36 < EternalDensity> bigots' heads. that should be right. sorry I get particular about apostrophes
09:37 < Neil_Boekend> yep youre right
09:37 < Neil_Boekend> a hydra
09:37 < EternalDensity> Hail Hydra!
09:37 < Neil_Boekend> whispers in your ear*hail hydra*
09:37 < EternalDensity> :D
09:38 * karhell runs away
09:38 <@Sustainabilizer> Hey!
09:38 < Neil_Boekend> Karhell, come back. Hydra is cool. We have dental
09:38 * karhell turns round and runs back
09:39 < EternalDensity> so who else watches Agents of SHIELD? Actually that is RELATED to data privacy...
09:39 < karhell> hydra dentist has got to be one hell of a job >;<
09:39 < karhell> >.<*
09:39 < EternalDensity> haha
09:39 < Neil_Boekend> Haven't caught up with it
09:39 < EternalDensity> pull one tooth and two grow in its place!
09:41 < EternalDensity> how to television. 1) blitz 2) wait for it 3) wait harder
09:41 < karhell> 4) find out the show has been cancelled >.>
09:41 < Neil_Boekend> or wait untill it gets shoved on netflix
09:41 < EternalDensity> :( **dish
09:41 < EternalDensity> sometimes I do 4) as step 0)
09:41 < Neil_Boekend> all things must end
09:41 < Neil_Boekend> an then there is fanart
09:41 < karhell> yup, still buggered about Forever :(
09:42 < EternalDensity> Sarah Connor Chronicles I came it after it was long **ded but it was just as **dish
09:42 < Neil_Boekend> I'm more buggered about Firefly and Dollhouse
09:43 < EternalDensity> I'm kinda okay with Firefly now because a lot of what the fandom is now is because of its sad history.
09:43 < EternalDensity> Dollhouse, that kinda **ded okay to me. Sure we could do with more.
09:43 < EternalDensity> But we can't really have more of THREE shows that all feature Summer Glau.
09:44 < EternalDensity> unless Time travel is real
09:44 < Neil_Boekend> it **ded okay because Joss anticipated an early cutoff
09:44 < EternalDensity> or cloning
09:44 < Neil_Boekend> or https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Dated_a_Robot
09:45 < EternalDensity> I could do with a little more Jeff 1000
09:46 < EternalDensity> anyhow, Summer has a riverish humanling now, which is molpish.
09:46 < ggh> I'm still mourning Best of the West https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Best_of_the_West
09:46 < ggh> We need more sustainable tv
09:46 < EternalDensity> I wouldn't mind more stargate of any sort. Except infinity. which does not exist and never did.
09:46 < EternalDensity> yes ggh. sustainable tv!
09:47 < EternalDensity> I guess Doctor Who counts as sustainable tv but I don't watch it.
09:47 < Neil_Boekend> It's awesomefull
09:47 < EternalDensity> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_l ... y_category
09:48 < balthasar_s> I wonder, how exactly will be the discussions here on IRC related to what's happenning in the room>
09:48 < balthasar_s> They will see what we write here?
09:48 < EternalDensity> DW is too seaish a blitz for me
09:48 < EternalDensity> oh, dinner is happening :(
09:48 < balthasar_s> Will we know what's going on there?
09:48 -!- EternalDensity is now known as ED_afl
09:48 < ED_afl> away from leopard
09:49 < karhell> Bon appétit, ED
09:50 < ggh> Poster's pretty, even if I can't read it - much is clear.
09:52 < ggh> and much looks to be super-useful....
09:52 -!- ED_leopad has joined #ott
09:53 < ED_leopad> Well?
09:54 < Neil_Boekend> https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... C06564.JPG
09:54 -!- ED_leopad has quit [Read error: Connection reset by peer]
09:55 < karhell> Guess ED fell down the well >.<
09:56 * karhell throws a rope
09:56 * Neil_Boekend throws one end of a rope but holds the other end
09:57 < ggh> how do you do that? the * <stuff> thing?
09:57 < balthasar_s> me
09:57 < Neil_Boekend> slash me
09:57 * karhell slashes neil
09:57 < Neil_Boekend> thanks
09:58 < Neil_Boekend> needed that to wake up
09:58 < karhell> sorry, couldn't resist ^^
09:58 < Neil_Boekend> you're a superconductor
09:58 < karhell> I walked right into that one, didn't I ?
09:58 < karhell> So a superconductor walks into a bar ...
09:59 -!- ED_leopad has joined #ott
09:59 < Neil_Boekend> is was about time that someone used that line on me
09:59 < ED_leopad> Oh my internet went m*stard
09:59 < taixzo> also, you can use /say to utter a line starting with a slash
09:59 < taixzo> /me <- for example
10:00 < karhell> blech, mustard flavored internet >.<
10:00 * ggh
10:00 < ggh> oh!
10:00 < karhell> almost there ^^
10:00 * ggh smiles
10:00 < taixzo> :D
10:00 < Neil_Boekend> yes! you done did it
10:00 < karhell> yay \o/
10:01 < Neil_Boekend> /
10:01 < balthasar_s> Recently a 5 year old kid suddenly said to me "good morning mr. conductor!"
10:01 < karhell> Makes sense if you were leading an orchestra ^^
10:02 < taixzo> or a train!
10:02 < karhell> or both >.<
10:02 * taixzo used to think that trains followed where conductors went
10:03 -!- ED_leopad has quit [Read error: Connection reset by peer]
10:03 < balthasar_s> http://xkcd.com/1539/ is related.
10:03 < ggh> I wish I could think of the proper circuitry joke
10:04 -!- ED_leopad has joined #ott
10:04 < ED_leopad> Tonight is my share something from the Bible during dinner night, and I found something related to privacy. http://bible.com/114/lev.19.17.nkjv ‘You shall not hate your brother in your heart.
10:04 -!- mscha has joined #ott
10:05 < karhell> Hi mscha !
10:05 < ggh> Hi mscha!
10:05 < Neil_Boekend> hi
10:05 < ED_leopad> hi mschalogger
10:05 < mscha> Good molpy!
10:05 <@Sustainabilizer> Hi mscha!
10:06 < ED_leopad> Am i offline again?
10:06 < ggh> Is there a video feed I'm supposed to be tuned in to? (aside from Monsters vs Aliens to keep the Little Wonder occupied.)
10:07 < ED_leopad> Oh good. I have bad luck with irc connections and ottermeets
10:07 < Neil_Boekend> not that I know of
10:08 < ED_leopad> I could take a video of me very badly singing Molpish Met OTTerCon. I suppose. If my life was at steak.
10:08 < Neil_Boekend> yes ED you're offline
10:08 < Neil_Boekend> we can't read you
10:08 < ED_leopad> I'm glad we cleared that up.
10:10 -!- karhell is now known as karhell_teatime
10:10 < mscha> A good thing we *don't* have video, as Sustainabilizer is apparently n-u.de...
10:10 < ggh> Wirklich?
10:11 -!- PraktiKante has joined #ott
10:12 < Neil_Boekend> welcome
10:12 -!- ED_leopad has quit [Read error: Connection reset by peer]
10:13 < PraktiKante> hello everybody!
10:13 <@Sustainabilizer> Hi. PraktiKante is sitting on the right of me in Bochum.
10:13 <@Sustainabilizer> (And sus_organizer is sitting on the left of me, trying to tame the seaish monitor.)
10:13 < ggh> Hi PraktiKante!
10:13 < PraktiKante> hi ggh
10:14 -!- ED_leopad has joined #ott
10:14 < balthasar_s> IP suggests Netherlands.
10:14 < balthasar_s> Also, welcome.
10:14 < ED_leopad> Will be shortly travelling outside mobile coverage for a bit
10:14 < PraktiKante> okay, ED_leopad
10:14 < ED_leopad> which means my connection wikk be better than at home lol
10:14 < ED_leopad> *will
10:15 < ED_leopad> except when it isn't
10:15 < PraktiKante> wait do you have better mobile coverage than at home?
10:16 < taixzo> My phone had better internet than my house when we had DSL
10:17 < PraktiKante> yes, that's sad sometimes. On the other hand mobile speeds are getting increasingly better. 5G is coming :)
10:17 < ED_leopad> No but at home it drops out a lot
10:17 < ED_leopad> Bad noise ratio
10:17 < PraktiKante> oh, okay
10:18 < taixzo> I now have slower mobile speeds than I used to because of my new phone
10:18 -!- ED_leopad has quit [Read error: Connection reset by peer]
10:18 -!- karhell_teatime is now known as karhell
10:19 < karhell> Hi, PraktiKante !
10:19 < PraktiKante> hi, karhell !
10:20 < taixzo> (it's a Jolla, which only has EU 3G frequencies, so it's stuck on 2G in the US)
10:22 -!- svenman has joined #ott
10:22 < svenman> Molpy up!
10:23 < ggh> Hi svenman!
10:23 < PraktiKante> oh, I too have a Jolla :) awesome!
10:24 < karhell> Hi, svenman !
10:24 < taixzo> Hi svenman!
10:25 -!- ED_leopad has joined #ott
10:25 < Neil_Boekend> @ED: your Navajo code talker should shout louder, for a better SNR.
10:26 <@Sustainabilizer> Now this IRC is visible on our seaish monitor.
10:26 < Neil_Boekend> yaay
10:26 < Neil_Boekend> hi seaish monitor
10:26 < svenman> Hi all!
10:26 <@Sustainabilizer> Now everyone in the audience can see what we're discussing.
10:26 <@Sustainabilizer> Hi, svenman!
10:26 < Neil_Boekend> Hi Svenman
10:26 < ED_leopad> Hi seaish monster!
10:27 <@Sustainabilizer> "everyone in the audience" = <shakes head> + sus_organizer + PraktiKante + myself.
10:27 < ggh> Speaking of SNR... privacy though... Sometimes I wonder if the best defense is a good offense. It's so hard to keep information private, but so easy to generate lots and lots of information that doesn't mean anything.
10:28 < ED_leopad> Hmm
10:28 < Neil_Boekend> indeed
10:29 < karhell> iirc, that's ucim's tactic
10:29 < Neil_Boekend> but that also decreases the usefullness for the intended users (aka humans)
10:29 < ggh> Like those folks that used to put terrorist buzzwords at the end of all their emails to annoy the letter agencies. ED, can you give your thingie a facebook page?
10:30 < Neil_Boekend> I think Facebook has a policy against that sort of thing
10:30 < Neil_Boekend> male anatomy and such
10:30 < balthasar_s> Excapt, Information about you is not only what you generate but also what others do.
10:30 < Neil_Boekend> especially pictures
10:30 < balthasar_s> And you can't control them.
10:31 < Neil_Boekend> not yet... <evil chuckle>
10:31 < svenman> ggh: The meaningless information may be stripped away with good data mining algorithms.
10:31 -!- AndChat|409344 has joined #ott
10:31 < AndChat|409344> Anyone watch Person of Interest? I recently blitzed it. It is about a computer machine for detecting who is going to be a victim or perpetrator of violent crime. From NSA data feeds.
10:31 < Neil_Boekend> welcome &chat
10:31 < AndChat|409344> Oh
10:32 < AndChat|409344> Derp
10:32 -!- AndChat|409344 is now known as ED_leopad2
10:32 < Neil_Boekend> Hi EDclone
10:33 < ED_leopad2> so somehow i didn't disconnect on both ends
10:33 < balthasar_s> There is information about me, for example, that can be found in the internet, about me, and I have no control over it.
10:33 < ED_leopad2> Anyhow, computers may get around seaish information noise
10:34 < balthasar_s> And having a not so common name makes it easier,
10:34 < ED_leopad2> but computers can also generate seaish infirmation noise as i have recently demonstrated
10:34 < ggh> But they'd have to work at it, and that might slow them down.
10:34 <@Sustainabilizer> sus_organizer thinks that our IRC chat isn't enough of an "eye-catcher".
10:34 < ED_leopad2> inf0mztion i mean. Argh that's worse
10:35 <@Sustainabilizer> So I'm presenting "bb" there, now.
10:35 < ggh> bb?
10:35 < ED_leopad2> Information.
10:35 < ED_leopad2> Well we have probably used enough keywords to get noticed :P
10:36 < Neil_Boekend> yeah probably
10:36 <@Sustainabilizer> bb is a demo program for aa.
10:36 < ED_leopad2> oooh.
10:36 < ED_leopad2> i want to see more of hh.
10:36 -!- ED_leopad has quit [Ping timeout: 480 seconds]
10:37 < Neil_Boekend> and since some of the users are not in the USA the NSA has the legal right to spy AND since some of the users are in the USA the NSA has the technical possibility to spy
10:37 <@Sustainabilizer> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AAlib
10:37 < ED_leopad2> Bye
10:37 <@Sustainabilizer> ED_leopad2: Bye!
10:37 -!- ED_leopad2 is now known as ED_leopard
10:37 -!- ED_leopard is now known as ED_leopad
10:38 < ED_leopad> Oops
10:38 < ggh> ooh - aa is neato
10:38 <@Sustainabilizer> ED_leopad: Welcome back! ;)
10:38 < balthasar_s> My name is not common in my country, and the few people that have it, have it spelled differently. There is almost certainly no one else with the same first and last name.
10:39 < balthasar_s> It's easy to do a search for the name and fid out my schools, competitions, awards, rtc.
10:39 < ED_leopad> And because you keep mentioning the NSA
10:39 < Neil_Boekend> My real name is incredibly common in my country
10:39 < ED_leopad> it was me, Barry! I was the ED_leopad!
10:39 < ggh> but you could make 28 people with that name
10:40 < balthasar_s> And no matter how much I generate I can't cover that information.
10:40 < balthasar_s> etc, not rtc.
10:40 < ggh> no, but eventually people won't believe stuff they snoop on the internet'
10:41 < ED_leopad> I'm sure i've given out more than eniugh details to be easily doxxed
10:41 < ggh> and balthasar_s the porn star might be a more fun fiction to believe than the one who won your awards
10:41 < ED_leopad> Hmmm.
10:42 < karhell> TMI ? ^^
10:42 < balthasar_s> If the official organizer of an event tells about people who took part in it, why wouldn't you believe?
10:42 < ED_leopad> exactly karhell
10:43 < ED_leopad> I assume we would need bots for that, i don't have time for fake internetting. But forums don't like bots pretending to be posters. And the resulting information noise loads down the internet.
10:44 < ED_leopad> Also there was an xkcd about online dating bots i think.
10:44 <@Sustainabilizer> There's no TMI for those who really want to parse all that (NSA and such).
10:44 < balthasar_s> Also, ggh, I just realised, I'm kind of doing what you suggested, on the OTT, all that moonbase stuff and so on...
10:45 < ED_leopad> Also the bots might try to take over. So we would need to be ready to throw bicycles at them
10:45 < ggh> Really??! Next thing you'll tell me that HES isn't a hamply!
10:46 < Neil_Boekend> @ED: https://xkcd.com/935/
10:46 < ED_leopad> Cue nasa mission to send nsa operatives to moon to see what balthasar_s is really up to
10:46 < ED_leopad> thanks Neil_Boekend
10:46 < Neil_Boekend> you're welcome
10:46 < karhell> whatever gets the space program going, I'm all for it ! ^^
10:46 < ED_leopad> Yes
10:47 < PraktiKante> i'll be back. soon. (fixing some network stuff)
10:47 -!- PraktiKante has quit [Quit: Leaving]
10:48 -!- PraktiKante has joined #ott
10:48 < ED_leopad> On the other hand i hardly have a grasp of my identity. Who am i really? I need more friends so i spend less time in my head. But it's comfortable and easy there.
10:48 < svenman> Generating fake information may have other undesirable side effects.
10:49 < PraktiKante> controlled misinformation is sometimes quite useful.
10:49 < svenman> Like getting on a no-fly list because of fake information that is mistaken for legit.
10:50 < ggh> But let's say I want to make money. And you want that award to not come up when you get cyberstalked. What should I do? And do people like to make money?
10:50 < ED_leopad> So long as the fake isn't too outrageous
10:51 < PraktiKante> if you knowingly put fake, but also lame information about you online then you are good.
10:51 < balthasar_s> what do you mean by lame?
10:51 < ED_leopad> Careful, the word lame is not pc now.
10:51 < PraktiKante> pretend you are living a normal life.
10:52 < karhell> I'm already having trouble living _one_ normal life, let alone inventing several >.>
10:52 < ED_leopad> A dull ordinary boring life. But not toooo unremarkable. That stands out.
10:52 < PraktiKante> that's right :D
10:52 < balthasar_s> Ok, that makes ense.
10:53 < taixzo> ggh: I won an award under this pseudonym two years ago
10:53 < ED_leopad> Oh look this guy with a clean police record and no complaints ever, must be in witness protection!
10:54 < karhell> "Innocence doesn't exist. There are only degrees of culpability" ?
10:54 < taixzo> I'm fairly well-known as taixzo in the Maemo/Meego/Sailfishos development community, but that's completely separate from offline lide
10:54 < ggh> taixzo: nicely done ;)
10:54 < taixzo> life
10:55 < taixzo> (which also means I can't do things like mention that work in a job interview as that would link the personas)
10:55 < Neil_Boekend> my online and offline personae are quite connected for anyone who has root acces to Google
10:56 < karhell> Same here for anyone bored enough to connec the dots
10:56 < balthasar_s> ...and with this we get back to xkcd 1539.
Last edited by balthasar_s on Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:25 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:38 am UTC

Part 2:

Spoiler:
10:56 -!- AndChat|409344 has joined #ott
10:56 -!- AndChat|409344 is now known as ED_ping
10:56 < ED_ping> Welp
10:56 < Neil_Boekend> pong
10:57 < karhell> ED is multiplyong, fetch a net!
10:57 < Neil_Boekend> ED is a tribble?
10:57 < karhell> Oh dear, we're ch*rped
10:58 < Neil_Boekend> To bad. I really liked this planet
10:58 < ggh> I haven't been nearly careful enough with keeping a separate online persona, but I'm starting to doubt I'll ever be interesting, so it won't matter.
10:59 < Neil_Boekend> I simply assume I am on some kind of watchlist because I theoretically know how to make a nuclear bomb
10:59 < Neil_Boekend> only uranium, mind you. implosion timing is difficult
11:00 < Neil_Boekend> only gun types for me
11:00 < svenman> Neil_Boekend: you are *now*
11:00 < Neil_Boekend> You all are now. Welcome!
11:00 <@Sustainabilizer> Everyone who has ever used Tor is on a watchlist. (So I am.)
11:00 < taixzo> my terminal font is weird
11:01 < balthasar_s> Are there any cool watches on this list>
11:01 < taixzo> I read that as "you are *nom*"
11:01 < Neil_Boekend> yes you are nom for dragons
11:01 <@Sustainabilizer> taixzo: Bon appetit!
11:01 < svenman> ow now now now now
11:01 -!- ED_leopad has quit [Ping timeout: 480 seconds]
11:01 < taixzo> balthasar_s: the Pebble Time?
11:02 < karhell> given my interests, counting the watchlists I'm _not_ on would probably be faster ^^
11:03 < balthasar_s> I wonder , the Tor watchlist, what are they looking for?
11:03 < karhell> looking for something to look for, I suppose
11:03 < karhell> gotta justify those salaries ^^
11:04 < Neil_Boekend> and the expenditure in datacenters
11:04 -!- ED_leopad has joined #ott
11:04 < ggh> I haven't used Tor yet, but I'm planning to soon. Any precautions I should take?
11:04 -!- ED_ping has quit [Ping timeout: 480 seconds]
11:04 < karhell> yup, wave and smile to the black SUV outside your window
11:05 < karhell> ^^
11:05 -!- AndChat-409344 has joined #ott
11:05 -!- AndChat-409344 is now known as ED_tribble
11:05 < Neil_Boekend> bring them cookies, that is bound to weird them out
11:05 < ED_tribble> Grrr
11:06 < balthasar_s> I have a roof window. If I saw a SUV through it, I'd be really surprised.
11:06 < ggh> diveroll!
11:06 -!- AndChat-409344 has joined #ott
11:06 < karhell> whan you can bicycle to the moon, a rooftop SUV should hardly be surprising ^^
11:07 < Neil_Boekend> The orbital observatory called "moon" has to suffice
11:07 < balthasar_s> Anyway, I just realised:
11:08 -!- AndChat|409344 has joined #ott
11:08 < svenman> karhell: You can't bicycle to the moon, silly. You need a train for that.
11:08 -!- AndChat|409344 is now known as ED_Cookies
11:09 < balthasar_s> If you use Tor so they don't know who you are,
11:09 < karhell> svenman: aah, right, I thought it was a bit silly ^^
11:09 < ED_Cookies> oh come on!
11:09 < svenman> karhell: Which gets loaded into a rocket.
11:09 < taixzo> If you use Tor your ISP can see that you are connecting to a Tor exit node
11:10 < balthasar_s> but one day, just once, you make a mistake,
11:11 < balthasar_s> And then you access something that only the anonymous version of you knows about,
11:11 < Neil_Boekend> Svenman, François Gissy begs to differ
11:11 < karhell> as taixzo said, it's possible to know that you're using TOR, but incredibly difficult to know what your're using it for
11:11 -!- AndChat|409344 has joined #ott
11:11 < balthasar_s> then someone can find out who you are.
11:11 -!- AndChat|409344 is now known as ED_statstardish
11:11 < ED_statstardish> Too close to the tower
11:12 -!- ED_leopad has quit [Ping timeout: 480 seconds]
11:12 < Neil_Boekend> eh, ED procreates even faster than tribbles
11:12 < karhell> it's Agent ED Smith ^^
11:12 < ED_statstardish> Me too
11:12 < ggh> Ack. The Little Wonder just sat in the mince pie.
11:12 -!- ED_statstardish is now known as ED_virus
11:13 < balthasar_s> And this is true, actually Exactly this way I found out a secret information about one OTTer just by looking on my server logs.
11:13 < karhell> ggh : make sure you don't bake Little Wonder
11:13 -!- ED_tribble has quit [Ping timeout: 480 seconds]
11:13 -!- ED_leopad has joined #ott
11:14 < svenman> That guy may be on to something, maybe he and balthasar should team up?
11:14 -!- AndChat-409344 has quit [Ping timeout: 480 seconds]
11:15 < karhell> which guy ?
11:16 < svenman> Francois Gissy. Broke a speed record with a rocket-powered bicycle.
11:17 < ggh> what do server logs log?
11:17 < karhell> aaah, right
11:17 -!- ED_Cookies has quit [Ping timeout: 480 seconds]
11:17 < svenman> Without significantly leaving the earth's surface, though, I think.
11:17 <@Sustainabilizer> ggh: Blitzing everything.
11:17 <@Sustainabilizer> EVERYTHING.
11:17 < karhell> depends on the server, but anything transmittable electronically can be logged
11:18 < ggh> If I visit a website, they hsave my name and location?
11:18 -!- ED_clone1190 has joined #ott
11:19 * ED_clone1190 sighs
11:19 < karhell> probably not, but that can be deduced from your IP
11:19 < Neil_Boekend> yes and no
11:19 <@Sustainabilizer> They have your IP address. How much they can derive from that, depends.
11:19 < karhell> and that is something they DO have
11:19 < balthasar_s> On the OTT there are BFTF frames posted. If you load a newpage that has a frame on it, I can see it.
11:20 < ED_clone1190> Yep
11:20 <@Sustainabilizer> In Germany, we are close to establishing a law called "Vorratsdatenspeicherung" which allows to derive your name and location from your IP address.
11:20 < karhell> o_o
11:20 < taixzo> IP-based positioning is very accurate if you are in say a house. But if you're using a mobile data connection your ip address is shared in like a 400 mile radius
11:20 < Neil_Boekend> under ipv6 your phone has a unique IP adress
11:21 -!- ED_virus has quit [Ping timeout: 480 seconds]
11:21 < balthasar_s> I can see what was loaded, from where (which newpage), at what time, from which IP (and therefore location), and the browser (but this can be faked)
11:21 <@Sustainabilizer> In France, this law (Vorratsdatenspeicherung) already exists. It was already there before the Charlie Hebdo terror attack.
11:21 < Neil_Boekend> with the IP logs from your provider this will be connected to your name
11:21 <@Sustainabilizer> The official reason for the law is to protect against terror attacks.
11:21 < karhell> oh aye, forgot about that >.<
11:21 -!- ED_leopad has quit [Ping timeout: 480 seconds]
11:22 < karhell> but that info is only accessible by a judge's order
11:23 <@Sustainabilizer> Or by criminals.
11:24 -!- ED_leopad has joined #ott
11:24 < ED_leopad> If you play my hotdog, i can see it
11:24 < taixzo> Neil_Boekend: my carrier does not provide IPv6 :/
11:24 < ED_leopad> Ok this is far worse than home
11:24 < Neil_Boekend> you hot dog
11:24 < ggh> so, balthasar, you can see that someone in Wellington downloaded your frames using Chrome. And if you have a warrant or a hacker friend, you know my nam and address.
11:25 < ggh> name
11:26 <@Sustainabilizer> If you have a fixed IP (like I have), balthasar_s can track your activity on his server.
11:26 <@Sustainabilizer> For me that's okay, concerning balthasar_s and my OTTish activities.
11:26 < karhell> Indeed, but most people don't have a fixed IP
11:26 < ggh> like the other sites I go to?
11:26 <@Sustainabilizer> Yeah.
11:27 <@Sustainabilizer> If you don't have a fixed IP, Vorratsdatenspeicherung is your friend foe.
11:27 < balthasar_s> Yes, And if you're quoting the frame, and preview it, I can see that it was seen from the post edit page and the post edit page URL has a post id in it.
11:27 -!- azule has joined #ott
11:28 < karhell> Hi azule !
11:28 <@Sustainabilizer> And then balthasar_s knows the OTTer name.
11:28 -!- ED_clone1190 has quit [Ping timeout: 480 seconds]
11:28 <@Sustainabilizer> Hi, azule!
11:28 < azule> I'm, uh, not here...
11:28 < azule> Fine, hello, I'm here and so are you
11:28 < azule> Why aren't you in bed?
11:28 < azule> *cough*
11:28 < Neil_Boekend> note: this is standard. It's not that balthasar is an evil creep. If you view an image stored on a server then the server logs that data
11:28 < Neil_Boekend> Hi azule
11:28 < karhell> Indeed
11:29 < karhell> It just demonstrates how much can be known just from loading a web page
11:29 < azule> we talking server logs?
11:29 < taixzo> Hi azule!
11:29 < Neil_Boekend> yeps
11:29 -!- ED_clone1190 has joined #ott
11:29 < karhell> what becomes important is _who_ has access to these logs
11:29 < ED_clone1190> My leopad crashed!
11:29 < ggh> Hi azule! I'm just learning that balthasar knows that I've watched Simon Barnett dance the tango on Dancing with the Stars like 80 times...
11:29 < azule> I have access...if only people would visit me :(
11:29 < azule> ;)
11:30 < ED_clone1190> tmi ggh
11:30 <@Sustainabilizer> karhell: Yeah! :Cueball:
11:30 < svenman> Hi azule!
11:30 < balthasar_s> Or even if you don,t quote the frame but post something else and in the preview you have the frame I still get the information.
11:30 < azule> why is balthasar all knowing?
11:30 < azule> all powerful too?
11:31 < azule> hello everyone who said hi after I said hi back.
11:31 < karhell> Well, he _is_ in a secret base, on the moon
11:31 < Neil_Boekend> not as all knowing as davean
11:31 < balthasar_s> xkcd fora show you the preview of other posts.
11:31 -!- ED_virus_s has joined #ott
11:31 < Neil_Boekend> and that is a page that loads the picture
11:32 < azule> ED Virus sounds so wrong. look it up.
11:32 < Neil_Boekend> if the picture is on balthasar's server then that server logs the request
11:32 < balthasar_s> It's a good idea to disable in the browser sending the referrer information.
11:32 < Neil_Boekend> azule not as wrong as the Eternal Disfunction one
11:32 < azule> can I be the official spam bot?
11:32 -!- ED_leopad has quit [Ping timeout: 480 seconds]
11:33 < karhell> @balthasar : good idea; done
11:33 < balthasar_s> But if you do this then you may be not able too see some images because of anti-hotlinking protection on some servers.
11:34 < karhell> anti-hotlinking is a daft thing anyway
11:34 < balthasar_s> Firefox enables you to set sending referrer information only if it's on the same domain.
11:35 < balthasar_s> Then you only send it to the server thaty knows it anyway.
11:35 < balthasar_s> but you have to enter about: config for that.
11:35 < karhell> aaah, the scary config screen ^^
11:35 < Neil_Boekend> Crome needs a plugin
11:36 < balthasar_s> Also, ggh, I can know many things but not that.
11:37 < taixzo> It is dawn here and my eyes are closing, so I must molpy down
11:37 < karhell> well, now you do ^^
11:37 < azule> night, taixzo
11:37 < taixzo> goodnight everyone!
11:37 < karhell> night (or day), taixzo
11:37 < Neil_Boekend> have a good coma
11:37 < PraktiKante> good night!
11:37 -!- taixzo has left #ott []
11:38 < azule> it's 2am for me...I had a nap at 10pm. :)
11:38 < azule> now you know
11:38 -!- ED_clone1190 has quit [Ping timeout: 480 seconds]
11:38 < ggh> Oh! good I thought you were saying that everyone who has made a cake that has been linked to on the OTT knows that I was looking for ***** home remedies 3 months ago.
11:38 < PraktiKante> that's the spirit!
11:38 -!- ED_futile has joined #ott
11:39 < balthasar_s> mrob's (I think) blindposter script removes all other posts from the preview page.
11:39 < azule> ggh, I rate your curse word at 5 stars
11:39 -!- ED_virus_s has quit [Ping timeout: 480 seconds]
11:39 < Neil_Boekend> @ggh: no, most pictures are on the XKCD server, with redundakitties.
11:40 < karhell> which means that davean knows all about you ^^
11:40 < Neil_Boekend> Davean can find how my chest looks. He knows all
11:40 < balthasar_s> And if they're not, they will know you saw the OTT, not the other pages.
11:41 < Neil_Boekend> but he probably does not know about those remedies
11:41 < Neil_Boekend> Google does btw
11:41 < Neil_Boekend> probably at least
11:41 < ED_futile> Because my hotdog is on github not my own server, it's github not me that knows when the few pages with hotlinked hotdog icons are visited
11:42 < karhell> indeed
11:42 < balthasar_s> Especially, that many pages have Google's javascript.
11:42 < balthasar_s> I block javascript by default and make some exceptions (I use NoScript)
11:42 -!- ED_leopad has joined #ott
11:42 < azule> irc is hard...where do I find the topic at hand? y'all seem to know a lot more than I do
11:43 < ED_leopad> Topic is up there
11:43 < ggh> google already knows that I'm a hypochondriac, and that I lose everything.
11:43 < balthasar_s> But you still might know things we don;t.
11:43 < ED_leopad> And now it's scrolled off
11:44 < ED_leopad> Google surely knows a lot about me
11:44 < karhell> I guess this is the topic at hand ? [Data Privacy Concerns Us All. Discuss.]
11:44 -!- ED_clone1190 has joined #ott
11:45 < balthasar_s> Google owns youtube. I upload films, sometimes. Google probably knows something.
11:45 < Neil_Boekend> yep
11:45 -!- ED_virus_s has joined #ott
11:45 < ED_virus_s> Still hopeless at giving relevant ads. I don't want to play Game of Fire: War Age!
11:46 < karhell> true, that ^^
11:46 < ED_virus_s> not sure whether my messages get through
11:46 < ED_virus_s> Did that go twice?
11:46 < balthasar_s> Once.
11:46 < karhell> did what go ?
11:46 < balthasar_s> But I saw it twice.
11:46 < ED_virus_s> And did you see:
11:46 < balthasar_s> Once here
11:46 < ED_virus_s> Google surely knows a lot about me
11:46 < recording_all_this> And once here
11:47 < ED_virus_s> Sometimes it drop out right after sending
11:47 -!- ED_too has joined #ott
11:48 < azule> anyone still use duckduckgo? I don't anymore because I'm lazy and google is default search engine on mobile chrome..and there's no damn option to switch to ddg
11:48 <@Sustainabilizer> azule: Yep.
11:48 -!- ED_tribble_cookie has joined #ott
11:48 < karhell> set ddg as my default search engine at work
11:48 < Neil_Boekend> I haven't ever been non-lazy enough
11:48 < ED_tribble_cookie> argh
11:49 < karhell> EDs, EDs everywhere !
11:49 < ED_tribble_cookie> DDG on my laptop but not tablet. Ought to.
11:49 -!- ED_futile has quit [Ping timeout: 480 seconds]
11:49 < ED_tribble_cookie> But leopad is google OS so they know anyway
11:50 < Neil_Boekend> cyanogen?
11:50 < balthasar_s> I didn't know they hve an OS.
11:50 < ED_tribble_cookie> So would DDG help privacy on google os? Maybe a little
11:50 < ED_tribble_cookie> Android! Google.
11:50 < ED_tribble_cookie> yeah i shouls cyanogen or similar
11:50 < ED_tribble_cookie> *should
11:51 < azule> google force signed me in to their search *checks* and I signed out and still am. so do they assuredly know?
11:51 < Neil_Boekend> parse error
11:51 < ED_tribble_cookie> Meanwhile around me: discussion about Kabbalah and now Hollywood
11:51 < azule> I'll parse error you!
11:51 < azule> ...*cough*
11:51 < Neil_Boekend> indeed you did
11:51 < karhell> parse me the error over there, will you ?
11:52 -!- ED_leopad has quit [Ping timeout: 480 seconds]
11:52 -!- ED_leopad has joined #ott
11:52 -!- ED_clone1190 has quit [Ping timeout: 480 seconds]
11:52 < Neil_Boekend> if you mean to ask whether Google knows what you are searching for even if you sign out then the answer is technically they can
11:52 <@Sustainabilizer> In the Outside I just got the question whether it's possible to enrich IRC by graphical avatars. Does anyone know?
11:53 < azule> hah, I never thought that "parsing" an error actually means reading the error...
11:53 < ED_leopad> who am i now?
11:53 < ED_leopad> Ah
11:53 < ED_leopad> The too many mes is annoying
11:53 < Neil_Boekend> Sust: you could rename yourself to ascii art
11:54 < azule> google can track even if not signed in, but it's not as valuable of information, I think
11:54 -!- ED_clone1190 has joined #ott
11:54 < balthasar_s> It's not impossible to make an IRC client that shows avatars associated with names.
11:54 < Neil_Boekend> Sustainabilizer: I just figured out that Pidging has tab completion for names
11:54 < ED_clone1190> The too many mes is annoying
11:54 <@Sustainabilizer> Neil_Boekend: So has irssi.
11:54 < azule> why do they and facebook and others want you to sign in to everything and use your real name? must be more valuable...
11:54 < balthasar_s> I don't know if anyone made it.
11:54 <@Sustainabilizer> azule: Exactly.
11:55 -!- ED_virus_s has quit [Ping timeout: 480 seconds]
11:55 < balthasar_s> Also, facebook,
11:55 <@Sustainabilizer> I just duckduckwent /avatar_set which is supported by kvirc.
11:55 < Neil_Boekend> real name is hardly enfoced
11:55 -!- ED_virus_s has joined #ott
11:55 < Neil_Boekend> or they really believe my real name is "Not Relevant"
11:56 -!- ED_too has quit [Ping timeout: 480 seconds]
11:56 < Neil_Boekend> or "Testy McTest"
11:56 < Neil_Boekend> or "lhdwjlegkklefgbhrqljwughk"
11:56 < balthasar_s> It's often said that "you don't have to use facebook if you don't want to."
11:56 < balthasar_s> that's true but
11:56 < Neil_Boekend> that is patently untrue
11:56 < karhell> And indeed, I don't
11:57 < Neil_Boekend> Facebook tracks even those without an account
11:57 <@Sustainabilizer> balthasar_s: ... but?
11:57 < Neil_Boekend> with those facebook thumb images (and associated JavaScript)
11:57 -!- ED_droid_6 has joined #ott
11:57 < Neil_Boekend> that you find everywhere
11:57 < balthasar_s> there are situations where you are "forced",
11:57 < ED_droid_6> But which name?
11:58 < ED_droid_6> I have many
11:58 < balthasar_s> I, for example, am a student.
11:58 < balthasar_s> There are other student in my group.
11:58 < ED_droid_6> i gues my avatar goes on anything starting with ED_
11:58 < ED_droid_6> Forced what? I missed it.
11:59 < Neil_Boekend> Facebug
11:59 < balthasar_s> Sometimes, someone finds, some important information.
11:59 < balthasar_s> And wants to share it with others.
11:59 -!- Angelastic has joined #ott
11:59 -!- ED_tribble_cookie has quit [Ping timeout: 480 seconds]
11:59 < karhell> aah, right, you are on facebug through the profiles of others
11:59 < Neil_Boekend> Hi Angelastic
11:59 < balthasar_s> Many of them announce if on a faceboug group only.
11:59 < Angelastic> hi. :)
11:59 < karhell> Hi, Angelastic !
11:59 < Angelastic> Hi, karhell!
12:00 -!- ED_bug has joined #ott
12:00 < balthasar_s> And then assume that everyone else knows it.
12:00 <@Sustainabilizer> Hi, Angelastic!
12:00 < Angelastic> Hi, Sustainabilizer! Wow, this IRC network allows seaish nicks.
12:00 <@Sustainabilizer> balthasar_s: I just discussed _exactly this_ with an Outside person.
12:01 < Neil_Boekend> Luckily my IRL friends have had a forum maintained by my brother in law. No needless tracking there
12:01 < Neil_Boekend> have had forever
12:01 < balthasar_s> Or they want to make a decision together and again they use a facebook group only.
12:01 -!- ED_debug has joined #ott
12:01 < ggh> Angelastic! Hi!
12:01 < Angelastic> what's this about being a facebug through the profiles of others?
12:01 < ED_debug> Yeah, it can be impossibke for some to not be on facebug.
12:01 -!- ED_leopad has quit [Ping timeout: 480 seconds]
12:01 < Angelastic> oooh, facebug. Now I understand.
12:01 < karhell> Indeed, facebug-only decisions are a pretty big embuggerance
12:01 < svenman> Hi Angelastic!
12:02 < Angelastic> Hi svenman!
12:02 < Neil_Boekend> I took steps to make it hard to track me for facebug but these plugins are not used by everyone
12:02 < ED_debug> I was at a camp where some wanted everyone's facebug to stay in contact
12:02 < balthasar_s> I can choose to ignore facebook but then I'm left out of many information and decisions.
12:02 -!- ED_clone1190 has quit [Ping timeout: 480 seconds]
12:02 < balthasar_s> Some of us don't like it but we're not able to convince others.
12:03 < karhell> @ED in those cases, I just give my old MSN adress ^^
12:03 < Angelastic> *gulp* is recording_all_this recording all this? *stops picking nose*
12:03 -!- ED_leopad has joined #ott
12:03 < recording_all_this> I'm balthasar_s,
12:03 < ED_leopad> but i said no i don't. Cos i didn't really want to anyway. So it was a good excuse to be antisocial.
12:03 -!- ED_virus_s has quit [Ping timeout: 480 seconds]
12:03 < recording_all_this> I want to read it all later
12:03 <@Sustainabilizer> Angelastic: Not only recording_all_this. Everyone can do that. Most do.
12:03 < ED_leopad> Me too
12:04 < ED_leopad> it's like swiss cheese to me
12:04 < Neil_Boekend> Angelastic: yes and you could have picked a better shirt.
12:04 < Angelastic> mmm, Swiss cheese.
12:04 < karhell> Bah, swiss cheese is overrated.
12:04 < karhell> Try a good Pouligny-St-Pierre, some time ^^
12:04 < Angelastic> pff, what do you have against Apple Developer Connection?
12:05 < karhell> wha ?
12:05 < balthasar_s> And it's more sad because there was a nice forum for this kind of things some years ago
12:05 -!- ED_clone1190 has joined #ott
12:05 < Angelastic> I do like smoked Gouda. But Gruyère *is* very yummy.
12:05 < karhell> ^^
12:05 < ED_clone1190> Cheese good
12:05 < balthasar_s> NNobody Nobody uses it any more.
12:06 < Angelastic> (I'm wearing an Apple Developer Connection shirt. Admittedly, it's the same one I wore yesterday, so I can see why one would object.)
12:06 < Angelastic> mmmm, cheese.
12:06 < karhell> oh, right ^^
12:06 < balthasar_s> Luckily, I'm graduating soon, no more facebug for me!
12:06 < karhell> Hooray for graduating_s ^^
12:06 <@Sustainabilizer> balthasar_s: What was a nice forum?
12:06 -!- ED_droid_6 has quit [Ping timeout: 480 seconds]
12:06 < Angelastic> how much longer does the Cönnchen go? One hour? Three hours? I didn't pay sufficient attention to the time zones.
12:07 < ED_clone1190> :D graduation good
12:07 < karhell> @sutainabilizer What was used in stead of fcebug, I guess
12:07 <@Sustainabilizer> Angelastic: Until 15:00 CEST. ~4 newpix from now.
12:07 < azule> I can't ketchup everything I missed while I was away because when someone posts i auto scroll to the bottom....
12:07 < Neil_Boekend> muhahaha
12:07 < Angelastic> isn't that 3 newpix from now?
12:08 < Neil_Boekend> azule: most clients allow you to disable it
12:08 < Neil_Boekend> nope, 4
12:08 <@Sustainabilizer> Yes. Sorry for the tpyo.
12:08 -!- ED_bug has quit [Ping timeout: 480 seconds]
12:08 < azule> I"m just using the webclient, N_B...I didn't see an option to change it
12:08 < Neil_Boekend> ah.
12:08 -!- ED_virus_s has joined #ott
12:08 -!- ED_virus_s is now known as ED_resistance
12:08 < ED_resistance> :D graduation good, would recommend
12:09 < karhell> a cludgy slution would be to hold the slide bar
12:09 < azule> Everyone redundapost what you said a moment ago... :P
12:09 < ED_resistance> Would be better if my old clones were kicked much faster
12:09 < Neil_Boekend> azule: Pidgin lets you blitz
12:09 < karhell> "what you said a moment ago... :P"
12:09 < ED_resistance> i redundapost because it's necessary :(
12:10 < Neil_Boekend> Ah.
12:10 < Angelastic> but it's 12:08 CEST now. Unless the daylight saving toggle is different.
12:10 < azule> sometimes unnecessary is necessary
12:10 -!- ED_debug has quit [Ping timeout: 480 seconds]
12:10 < azule> ED misses all my jokes. :(
12:10 < ED_resistance> I couldn't tell if it was a joke.
12:11 < Neil_Boekend> Angelastic: http://www.timeanddate.com/time/zones/cet
12:11 < karhell> ED is struggling with multiple account disorder right now, be lenient on the jokes ^^
12:11 < ED_resistance> Maybe you need to repeat your jokes redundantly
12:11 < Neil_Boekend> Angelastic: CET, not CEST
12:11 < balthasar_s> Sustainabilizer, there was a nice forum for discussing student related stuff on the faculty of Electronics.
12:12 < karhell> I'm out for lunch. See you in half a nopix
12:12 < Angelastic> But Sustainabilizer said 'Until 15:00 CEST'
12:12 -!- ED_leopad has quit [Ping timeout: 480 seconds]
12:12 -!- karhell is now known as karhell_afk_lunch
12:12 < Neil_Boekend> hmm, in the post he said CET
12:12 < ED_resistance> Two more NP?
12:12 < Angelastic> oh well, CEST la vie.
12:12 < azule> @ED...they're not jokes....I say "I kid"...what do you call that? *sigh*
12:12 < ED_resistance> vitsägen ja!
12:12 < Neil_Boekend> I dislike all the weird time zones btw. Just gimme GMT +/- x
12:12 < Angelastic> there's at least three more NP; we're debating whether there are 4.
12:13 < Angelastic> It's a bit epsilon to use a Time zone that is not in use anywhere, but if it means we get an extra newpix, I'll allow it.
12:14 -!- ED_leopad has joined #ott
12:14 < Neil_Boekend> You really need a standard timezone that has no dailight savings
12:14 < ED_leopad> I don't know when you said "I kid" azule, i wasn't here maybe
12:14 < ED_leopad> yeah Neil_Boekend
12:14 < Angelastic> the post on facebug says CET DST, which I think is a fancy way of saying CEST.
12:14 < svenman> The radio station I have on is just playing "Time In A Bottle" :-)
12:15 < ED_leopad> Related!
12:15 -!- ED_clone1190 has quit [Ping timeout: 480 seconds]
12:15 < Angelastic> It also gives a UTC time which aligns with the CEST hypothesis.
12:15 -!- ED_clone1190 has joined #ott
12:15 < ED_clone1190> Related! But we need a bottle.
12:15 < Angelastic> But in the e**, I guess we can stay here as long as we like.
12:15 < svenman> Can't get more standard that UTC...
12:16 < Angelastic> hopefully not a steambottle! (ugh)
12:16 < ED_clone1190> I have a plastic milk jug.
12:16 < svenman> s/that/than/
12:16 < balthasar_s> And, yes, facebug is doing tracking too.
12:17 < balthasar_s> many pages have facebug's javascript
12:17 -!- ED_virus_s has joined #ott
12:17 < ED_virus_s> Tupperware. No steam. I think.
12:17 < Angelastic> so most information points to there being 3 more newpix, but Sustainabilizer said 4, and I'll stick around for 4 because that means proving the Cönnchen is more sustainable.
12:17 < Neil_Boekend> Angelastic: http://www.ted.com/talks/michael_pritch ... anguage=en
12:17 < balthasar_s> facebug's <iframe>'s
12:18 < Neil_Boekend> it won't end until w leave
12:18 < Angelastic> ugh!
12:18 < balthasar_s> Also on some websites you can comment, but only through facebug.
12:19 < azule> @b there are some places I read and think "ooh, I'm gonna comment" but they only let facebug. I just wanna be azule and say stupid things, thanks very much
12:20 -!- ED_MAD has joined #ott
12:20 < ED_MAD> wait what more newpix? You mean missed the frames?
12:20 < ED_MAD> Er, the missed frames
12:20 < ED_MAD> How did we get on to that/
12:21 < ED_MAD> ?
12:21 < Angelastic> we were talking about how many more newpix we will be chatting for.
12:21 < Neil_Boekend> magic
12:21 < balthasar_s> Because of Time(zones)
12:21 -!- ED_resistance has quit [Ping timeout: 480 seconds]
12:21 < ED_MAD> Oh
12:23 -!- ED_leopad has quit [Ping timeout: 480 seconds]
12:23 < ggh> To play devil's advocate, someone is paying for the internet, and it's not me. They want their money's worth. Does there have to be a redundant internet that I help pay for?
12:23 < Neil_Boekend> I pay for the internet
12:23 < Neil_Boekend> my bit at least
12:23 <@Sustainabilizer> Me too.
12:24 -!- ED_clone1190 has quit [Ping timeout: 480 seconds]
12:24 -!- ED_seapix has joined #ott
12:24 -!- balthasar_s is now known as balthasar_dontIRCandeat_s
12:24 < ED_seapix> redundant: hey who remembers my seapix? The sandcastle photos i took at the sea last yip?
12:24 < Neil_Boekend> I pay for the network cost from me to the backbone
12:24 <@Sustainabilizer> The Internet is a collective work. There's no single company that controls the Internet.
12:24 < ED_seapix> Some enhancement may still be necessary...
12:25 < Neil_Boekend> then the other server (for example XKCD) pays for the network from them to the backbone
12:25 -!- ED_virus_s has quit [Ping timeout: 480 seconds]
12:25 <@Sustainabilizer> ED_seapix: I do.
12:25 -!- ED_leopad has joined #ott
12:26 <@Sustainabilizer> The decentralised nature of the Internet is what makes it sustainable.
12:26 < svenman> Neil_Boekend: Right. So who pays for the backbone, and why?
12:26 -!- ED_clone1190 has joined #ott
12:26 <@Sustainabilizer> Everyone who uses the Internet.
12:27 < Neil_Boekend> oh sorry, both servers pay for a bit of the backbone
12:27 < Neil_Boekend> I mean me and the XKCD server
12:27 < ED_clone1190> Hmmm
12:28 <@Sustainabilizer> There are sustainable alternatives to facebug & Co, see http://prism-break.org .
12:28 -!- ED_MAX has joined #ott
12:28 < svenman> There's also the warning "If you don't pay for a service, you're not a customer, you're the commodity."
12:28 < ED_MAX> Oops
12:28 < Neil_Boekend> Indeed
12:28 < PraktiKante> that is correct in the case of facevo
12:29 < PraktiKante> *facebug
12:29 < ED_MAX> I'd like to pay to not be a commodity
12:29 < Neil_Boekend> they don't usually offer
12:29 < ED_MAX> Um. But what about marriage? ;)
12:29 -!- ED_MAD has quit [Ping timeout: 480 seconds]
12:29 <@Sustainabilizer> It's not correct in the case of Free Software.
12:29 < Neil_Boekend> and if they did I'd worry if they wouln't use me as a commodity anyway, just because they can
12:29 < Angelastic> is marriage a service?
12:29 < ED_MAX> well there are brides for sale i guess
12:30 < PraktiKante> when facebug bought whatsapp they paid around 30$ per unique user. Whatsapp costs the user 1$ per year....
12:30 < ED_MAX> Mail order
12:30 < ED_MAX> whats whatsapp?
12:30 < Neil_Boekend> chat client on mobile phones
12:30 < PraktiKante> whatsapp is sms over the internet
12:30 < Angelastic> that's not a service; that's a product. Unless there are rental brides.
12:30 < Angelastic> do you have to pay per year for whatsapp?
12:31 < ED_MAX> Um. Rental brides are something else
12:31 < PraktiKante> yes. but you get the first year free. so if you change your number every year its free :D
12:31 < Neil_Boekend> dunno. i stopped it as soon as FB bought it
12:31 < PraktiKante> what do you use now?
12:31 < Neil_Boekend> GChat works for me
12:31 < svenman> Sustainabilizer: True, but it's always a good idea to think about what price you pay for a service, especially if it's not in terms of money.
12:31 <@Sustainabilizer> SMS is a decentralised service offered by a variety of providers. WhatsApp is centralised, offered by a single company who controls everything.
12:31 < PraktiKante> uh, never heard of it.
12:32 < Neil_Boekend> I know Google has acces to all that but at least I limit the number of corps that own my data
12:32 < Neil_Boekend> Sorry, it's called Google Talk
12:32 -!- ED_virus_s has joined #ott
12:32 < Neil_Boekend> I mean Hangouts
12:32 < Angelastic> I use iChat.
12:32 < Neil_Boekend> Apple?
12:32 -!- ED_seapix has quit [Ping timeout: 480 seconds]
12:33 < Angelastic> man, I can never remember what the Google thing is called, and find the app on my phone when I need it.
12:33 <@Sustainabilizer> Neil_Boekend: Limiting the number of corps is not the point. It's the opposite of the point.
12:33 < Neil_Boekend> It changes name but not place
12:33 < Angelastic> yes, Apple.
12:33 < PraktiKante> there is a really great alternative to whatsapp called textsecure. you can send encrypted message for free.
12:33 < PraktiKante> no annual fee or google snooping on your data
12:33 <@Sustainabilizer> Redundant: The Internet is decentralised. That's molpish. A single company controlling everything is steambottlish.
12:33 -!- ED_therealnapster has joined #ott
12:33 < Neil_Boekend> PraktiKante: With whatsapp both Google and Facebook would have the data
12:33 -!- ED_leopad has quit [Ping timeout: 480 seconds]
12:34 < Neil_Boekend> now only Google does
12:34 < PraktiKante> corret. didn't think about it.
12:34 < Neil_Boekend> The single corp works for separate pieces of data
12:34 < PraktiKante> the gui of TextSecure is really intuitive and whatsapp-like. You don't even notice that it is doing anything different.
12:35 -!- ED_leopad has joined #ott
12:35 -!- ED_clone1190 has quit [Ping timeout: 480 seconds]
12:35 < Neil_Boekend> PraktiKante: except that even less of your friends and family uses it
12:36 < PraktiKante> I got all my close friends to use it.
12:36 -!- ED_clone1190 has joined #ott
12:36 < ED_clone1190> This is **dish
12:36 < Neil_Boekend> and mustarded
12:37 < PraktiKante> if you explain to your friends why they should use it, they might agree
12:37 -!- ED_glasses has joined #ott
12:37 < PraktiKante> that way you can communicate privately
12:37 < ED_glasses> I can hardly communicate
12:37 < PraktiKante> what do you mean by that?
12:38 <@Sustainabilizer> PraktiKante: I guess ED_glasses means that his Internet connection is suboptimal.
12:38 -!- ED_glasseses has joined #ott
12:38 < ED_glasseses> Discussion outside: Fragile X
12:39 -!- ED_MAX has quit [Ping timeout: 480 seconds]
12:39 < ED_glasseses> Bye me!
12:39 < Angelastic> iMessage just sort of started being used automatically. I noticed it (with much delight) when I was in Edinburgh without a local phone, and my friend nonetheless sent me texts through magic. Apparently it's also encrypted.
12:39 < svenman> ED's tenacity is admirable...
12:40 < PraktiKante> it might be encrypted, but that doesn't mean that apple cant read the messages.
12:40 < Angelastic> kind of cool since I when I started texting people on a temporary SIM in NZ, I didn't have to tell them any new details when I got back.
12:40 < PraktiKante> there are most likely some backdoors
12:40 -!- ED_virus_s has quit [Ping timeout: 480 seconds]
12:40 < Angelastic> it seems like they can't, without my private key.
12:41 < PraktiKante> but because it is not open source we can't be sure
12:41 < Angelastic> I wouldn't have looked at the source anyway, so I'd be relying on trust either way.
Last edited by balthasar_s on Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:26 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:43 am UTC

Part 3:

Spoiler:
12:41 -!- ED_therealnapster has quit [Ping timeout: 480 seconds]
12:42 < PraktiKante> yes, but now you'll have to trust the devs. Apple. if it was open-source independent expert could look at it and alert the public if they found something
12:42 <@Sustainabilizer> Yes, but ... ninja'd by PraktiKante. :)
12:43 < Angelastic> Should I trust an independent expert more than I trust Apple?
12:43 -!- ED_leopad has quit [Ping timeout: 480 seconds]
12:43 < PraktiKante> yes.
12:43 < PraktiKante> there are many people
12:44 < Angelastic> What about SMS itself; how secure is that?
12:44 < Neil_Boekend> with Singrays?
12:44 < PraktiKante> it is at least not that centralized. but still not encrypted.
12:44 -!- ED_clone1190 has quit [Ping timeout: 480 seconds]
12:45 < PraktiKante> yeah, with Stingrays they could find out what you are saying.
12:45 -!- ED_glasses has quit [Ping timeout: 480 seconds]
12:45 < Angelastic> So SMS isn't encrypted at all? Then I'm better off using iMessage than SMS, and I'm not going to coerce people into installing anything else.
12:45 < Neil_Boekend> AFAIK they are still illegal in my country
12:46 < PraktiKante> SMS might be encrypted between carriers, but the gov can still read it. in the US even withou warrants
12:46 < Angelastic> What's Stingrays?
12:47 < Neil_Boekend> devices that pretend to be cellphone towers
12:47 < PraktiKante> well with iMessage you don't know what you get. apple says it's secure, you enter your message, your friend receives it. what's happening inbetween you don't know.
12:47 < azule> SMS has no edit button.
12:47 -!- ED_glasseses has quit [Ping timeout: 480 seconds]
12:47 < Angelastic> It's better to not know, but be told that it's secure, than to know for sure it's insecure (with SMS)
12:48 < Neil_Boekend> Angelastic: your phone believes them to be cellphone towers and uses them as such. The stingray can store the data, including the recording of phonecalls
12:48 < Angelastic> why are there so many EDs pinging out?
12:48 < PraktiKante> sort of. yes. why not go with "i know it is secure, and it is"
12:48 < Neil_Boekend> ED's internet is mustardy
12:49 < Neil_Boekend> Angelastic: Stingrays are often used in the US and are a topic of controversy.
12:49 < Angelastic> Because to go with "I know it is secure, and it is" (or rather, "several independent experts told me it's secure") I'd have to get my friends to install extra software on their phones.
12:50 < Angelastic> like, all two people I send such messages to.
12:50 < PraktiKante> that is correct. Search for "Signal" on the appstore and read some of the reviews and have a look at it if it fits your needs
12:51 < PraktiKante> at least for the people you have intimate conversations with I would recommend it. your gf for example.
12:51 < azule> mine?
12:51 < azule> goodness
12:51 < azule> *pretends to be on top of the convo*
12:52 -!- karhell_afk_lunch is now known as karhell
12:52 < Angelastic> I'll suggest it, though the only person I have intimate conversations with knows a lot more about security than I do, and hasn't mentioned that.
12:52 < PraktiKante> maybe talk to him about it. he might have heard about it but hasn't suggested it yet.
12:53 -!- ED_leopad has joined #ott
12:54 < Angelastic> I am amused that a few sentences ago you were suggesting 'your gf for example' and now you assume 'him'.
12:55 < PraktiKante> sorryy..
12:55 < Angelastic> nothing to be sorry about; it's just an amusing inconsistency.
12:55 < PraktiKante> ok
12:55 < Angelastic> I like being amused!
12:55 < karhell> "significant OTTer" maight be a better match ? ^^
12:55 < PraktiKante> correct
12:55 < karhell> s/maight/might/
12:55 < Angelastic> :D yes, significant OTTer! Except not an OTTer. :(
12:56 -!- balthasar_dontIRCandeat_s is now known as balthasar_s
12:56 < balthasar_s> hi I'm back
12:56 < Neil_Boekend> Statistcally significant other?
12:56 < Angelastic> hi back
12:56 < balthasar_s> significant OTTher in this case,
12:56 < Angelastic> I think Helen Arney has a song about a statistically significant other.
12:56 -!- binar has joined #ott
12:56 < karhell> with P < .5 ?
12:56 < binar> hi again
12:56 < azule> hate@significantOTTer
12:57 < azule> also, kid
12:57 < Angelastic> and some very non-standard deviations.
12:57 < PraktiKante> hallo binar
12:57 < Neil_Boekend> Angelastic: https://xkcd.com/539/
12:57 < karhell> Hi binar !
12:57 < azule> hate at the term, not the person
12:57 < Angelastic> :D at the xkcd
12:58 < karhell> Ah, well all OTTers are significant, see ^^
12:58 < Angelastic> I was just about to say that
12:58 < karhell> So the term is redundant
12:58 < Angelastic> we like redundancy.
12:58 < Neil_Boekend> we like redundancy
12:59 < azule> Otter OTTer is redundant
12:59 < Angelastic> I told u I was significant; y u no believe me?
12:59 < karhell> ^^
12:59 < azule> Is "y u no believe me" our "why did the chicken cross the road"? Because I don't think there's an answer to that either
13:00 -!- ED_clone1190 has joined #ott
13:00 < ED_clone1190> Hi
13:00 < karhell> re-hi ^^
13:01 < Neil_Boekend> The number of ED's is decreasing! Quick, reload the ED cannons!
13:01 < Neil_Boekend> Are the ED generators running at full steam?
13:01 < Angelastic> Maybe ED is like Lintilla
13:01 < karhell> Aye aye, Sir !
13:01 -!- ED_leopad has quit [Ping timeout: 480 seconds]
13:01 < Angelastic> and we've now invented the Allitnil
13:03 < karhell> EDtilla ?
13:05 -!- AluisioASG has joined #ott
13:05 < karhell> Hi, Lu !
13:05 < svenman> Hi AluisioASG!
13:05 < Angelastic> Hi, AluisioASG!
13:06 < ggh> Hi Aluisio!
13:06 < AluisioASG> Hello everybody!
13:06 < Neil_Boekend> Hi
13:08 -!- ED_clone1190 has quit [Ping timeout: 480 seconds]
13:08 < PraktiKante> facebook doesn't need to see your face to identify you on photos anymore: http://gizmodo.com/facebook-says-its-fa ... 1713182436
13:09 <@Sustainabilizer> Hi, AluisioASG!
13:10 < karhell> Yeah, well that just reinforces my decision to stay the ch*rp away from facebug
13:10 < PraktiKante> correct.
13:12 < azule> good night, all
13:12 < balthasar_s> Unfortunately, I can't control over appearing on the background of other people's pictures.
13:12 < PraktiKante> the sad thing is that if you don't use facebug, you can still be targeted by it. whenever you are at a public place you'll have to expect that you are on someone's photo which is uploaded to facebug
13:13 < karhell> Indeed... Time to go out in full Nazgûl gear, then ^^
13:14 < Neil_Boekend> And if you visit a website with the facebug thumb then it can track you thusly. Although it'd be hard pressed to connect that image to your loading of a page with the thumb
13:14 -!- azule has quit [Remote host closed the connection]
13:14 < balthasar_s> Also, it means, that facebook, has actually become a face book.
13:15 < PraktiKante> right :D
13:16 < balthasar_s> I'm aware that there are people that might want to use this information. I wonder what facebook itself might want to do with it.
13:17 < PraktiKante> first of all: collect as much information. Second: link information together to form profiles of users
13:17 < Neil_Boekend> Third: serve ads based on that profile
13:17 < PraktiKante> Forth: blackmail government officials and the president to take over the world
13:21 < Angelastic> It's kind of amazing how much of the internet seems to run on ads for sites supported by ads for sites supported by ads and so on. I wonder if someone sells actual products, in the e**. (I remember back when the whole web seemed to be supported by ads for free cursors and screensavers. That was even more epsilon.)
13:22 -!- AluisioASG has quit [Quit: AluisioASG]
13:23 < karhell> Well, as far as I know, Amazon and the likes still sell stuff ^^
13:23 -!- Angelastic has quit [Remote host closed the connection]
13:23 < PraktiKante> yes, on the on side it is cool, that you can get all these services just for seeing some ads. But when targeted ads and profiles come into play I sometimes wonder if it wouldnt be better if it was donation based.
13:23 < balthasar_s> I've never seen any ad on the internet that was even close to convincing me to do anything.
13:24 < Neil_Boekend> Except installing a script blocker
13:24 < karhell> ninja'd
13:24 < Neil_Boekend> Which is probably not the intention
13:24 < ggh> I usually get ads for what I just bought. Some years back I was attending a paper at a siggraph conference on some technical improvements in ID-ing people in photos. At the end, during the questions, someone asked about the ethics of helping companies do this kind of thing. The questioner was kinda shushed up. What a shame..
13:24 -!- AluisioASG has joined #ott
13:25 < balthasar_s> That wasn't only because of ads, also not intended.
13:25 < PraktiKante> try browsing over Tor. you'll most likely not get targeted ads.
13:26 < balthasar_s> Also ninjad
13:26 < karhell> "I usually get ads for what I just bought"... Particularly egregious when it's somthing pretty expensive that you're not going to need another one of p^^
13:26 < PraktiKante> also: AdBlock Edge for Firefox. No more ads :)
13:27 < balthasar_s> Do you get Tor-related ads when on Tor ? :)
13:27 < karhell> ads for onions ^^
13:27 < PraktiKante> No, you get generalized ads.
13:27 < PraktiKante> Like if you never bought anything from the store
13:34 < karhell> By the way, any news from TinCel and HappyHydro? That sounded good from a data privacy perspective
13:34 <@Sustainabilizer> The HappyHydro guy was here ~2NP ago. Maybe he'll return.
13:35 <@Sustainabilizer> (What's TinCel?)
13:35 <@Sustainabilizer> Current status (AFAIK): The HH library is almost complete. No reference implementation yet.
13:35 < karhell> Martin and Marcel, who gave the presentation at the conference
13:36 <@Sustainabilizer> Ah. :) Tin was here. Cel didn't show up yet, but maybe he comes.
13:47 < balthasar_s> If I wanted to say something important to the world, Is it possible to do it in such a way that nobody, ever, no matter how much they try, will be able to determine that it was me who said it?
13:47 <@Sustainabilizer> Maybe.
13:48 <@Sustainabilizer> UThe anonymity of Tor depends on that nobody gets control over a large fraction of the servers involved.
13:48 <@Sustainabilizer> NSA is trying to do that.
13:49 <@Sustainabilizer> There is some evidence that they didn't succeed yet. But we don't know for sure.
13:49 < ggh> oh dear. that sounds bad.
13:50 <@Sustainabilizer> Depends. When Tor is used more, more people dare to add a server to it.
13:50 <@Sustainabilizer> This makes it more difficult to break the anonymity.
13:51 <@Sustainabilizer> But even more care is necessary. For example, the style of your language might be recogniseable.
13:51 < ggh> Of course there's still the old hand-written letter mailed to the NYTimes or whoever.
13:51 <@Sustainabilizer> They can recognise your hand-writing. ;)
13:51 < balthasar_s> My handwriting is VERY recognizable
13:52 < ggh> Left hand
13:52 < svenman> So the NSA should add more servers under their control to Tor?
13:52 <@Sustainabilizer> IMHO the Internet, and Tor in particular, have increased anonymity (if you do it right).
13:52 < karhell> type-writer -written, then instead of hand-written
13:53 <@Sustainabilizer> A printed letter can have fingerprints on it. And/or some bits of DNA.
13:53 < Neil_Boekend> Even the typewriter can be recognized
13:53 <@Sustainabilizer> There's never 100% security. But Tor gives you as much as _can_ be achieved.
13:53 -!- ED_leopad has joined #ott
13:53 < ED_leopad> So
13:53 <@Sustainabilizer> ReHi, ED_leopad!
13:54 < Neil_Boekend> as it has a unique set of mechanical details, within tolerance
13:54 < svenman> karhell: Can be identified too. Less easily though if there aren't many other documents written on the same typewriter out there.
13:55 -!- ED_clone1190 has joined #ott
13:55 < ED_clone1190> Hi
13:55 < balthasar_s> There was a time, when in Poland every typewriter had to be registered.
13:55 < ED_clone1190> again
13:55 < ED_clone1190> Interesting
13:56 < ED_clone1190> did that achieve anything?
13:56 < karhell> registered typewriters ? oO
13:56 -!- ED_virus_s has joined #ott
13:57 < ggh> This topic may not be so new.
13:58 < ggh> Anyone know anything about photo printing services? A few days ago I signed up to photobox to have some prints made. Reading their privacy statement, I was surprised that it said nothing about how private my actual photos would be.
13:59 -!- Angelastic has joined #ott
13:59 < Angelastic> hi again.
14:00 < karhell> hi again !
14:00 < Neil_Boekend> Hi again
14:00 < ggh> Greetings from Wednesday the 24th!
14:01 < Neil_Boekend> ooh you future you
14:01 -!- ED_leopad has quit [Ping timeout: 480 seconds]
14:03 < Angelastic> Oh, you're the one in NZ. Happy new day!
14:04 -!- ED_clone1190 has quit [Ping timeout: 480 seconds]
14:04 -!- ED_leopad has joined #ott
14:04 -!- ED_virus_s has quit [Ping timeout: 480 seconds]
14:05 < Angelastic> Did I miss anything? I think I disconnected right after commenting on sites supported by ads for sites supported by ads for sites supported by…20 goto 10
14:05 < Angelastic> oh gosh, ED still hasn't improved (is my Cialis cover band.)
14:06 < ggh> oh dear
14:07 < balthasar_s> Angelastic, There was some about if it's possible to say something so that mobody ever will find out if it was you.
14:07 < karhell> @Angelastic: I PM'd you what you missed
14:07 < balthasar_s> And typewriters
14:07 -!- ED_clone1190 has joined #ott
14:07 < Angelastic> Privacy is an illusion. Data privacy, doubly so.
14:08 < Angelastic> I didn't get a PM.
14:08 < Angelastic> I guess I missed nothing.
14:08 < karhell> ch*rp forgot to send >;<
14:08 < karhell> there, done
14:08 < balthasar_s> ch*rp is sending your PMs?
14:09 < karhell> It seems ch*rp also ate my punctuation
14:09 < karhell> ^^
14:09 < Angelastic> Something smells like rotten milk here, which is weird, because I've only had soymilk and hazelnut milk recently. They really pay attention to the details with these plant milks! Even decaying, it's the same as cow milk.
14:09 -!- ED_virus_s has joined #ott
14:10 < ED_virus_s> Hahaha Angelastic
14:10 -!- ED_cialis has joined #ott
14:11 < Angelastic> aha, when I first said I hadn't received a PM, I was thinking you meant a PM on IRC. But by coincidence, I also hadn't received the kind of PM you were actually referring to.
14:11 < ED_cialis> redundant: Hahaha Angelastic
14:11 < Angelastic> Hahahaha ED_cialis
14:12 -!- ED_leopad has quit [Ping timeout: 480 seconds]
14:13 -!- ED_leopad has joined #ott
14:13 < ED_leopad> Meeting nearly over...
14:14 < svenman> Okay, gotta leave now to do some ordinary human stuff with my regular human body.
14:14 < PraktiKante> have fun
14:14 <@Sustainabilizer> We won't close this IRC channel.
14:14 < Angelastic> On facebug, I get ads for things I'd never be the least bit interested in (e.g, they notice I'm female, so try to sell me fashion) and vague clickbaity ads for dumb Kickstarters. Elsewhere, I get ads for the sites I've recently visited, and ads for things that I make a note not to buy because I saw ads for them.
14:14 <@Sustainabilizer> svenman: Have fun. Bye!
14:15 < Angelastic> have fun with your two arms and two legs!
14:15 < Angelastic> and single large intestine!
14:15 < AluisioASG> What are all these EDs about?
14:16 -!- ED_clone1190 has quit [Ping timeout: 480 seconds]
14:16 < Neil_Boekend> They're tribbles
14:16 < karhell> ED's leopad has a mustardy connexion
14:16 <@Sustainabilizer> Is Angelstic referring to the current OtherComic? Or to 1530: Keyboard Mash?)
14:16 < svenman> Sustainabilizer: So the channel may stay around even after todip?
14:17 <@Sustainabilizer> svenman: Yes. It has been since February - beautiful, and empty.
14:17 < karhell> probablè 1530
14:17 < karhell> s/è/y/
14:17 < balthasar_s> The channel is stil here since February
14:17 < balthasar_s> ninjad
14:18 <@Sustainabilizer> [data hog]karhell is using a French leopard.[/data hog]
14:18 -!- ED_virus_s has quit [Ping timeout: 480 seconds]
14:18 < karhell> [noshame]karhell is in France, so that makes sense[/noshame]
14:18 < Angelastic> I was replying to svenman, who I assumed to be referring to 1530.
14:19 <@Sustainabilizer> [conspiracy]Why has ED_virus_s an "_s"?[/conspiracy]
14:19 -!- ED_cialis has quit [Ping timeout: 480 seconds]
14:19 < svenman> Sustainabilizer: I see. Well now that I got around to installing an irc client again on my organised sand, I may check in again more often.
14:19 <@Sustainabilizer> COLLECTING DATA ... SUCCESS.
14:19 < karhell> [conspiracy]since we're all Randall, then ED == Randall and Balthasar_s == Randall, therefore ED_s makes sense ^^[/conspiracy]
14:20 < svenman> Angelastic: Yes, I had both 1530 and the current one in mind.
14:21 * Sustainabilizer understands now with his ordinary human brain.
14:21 -!- karhell is now known as karhell_s
14:21 -!- balthasar_s is now known as balthasar_s_s
14:21 < karhell_s> XD
14:21 -!- You're now known as recording_all_this_s
14:22 -!- ED_leopad has quit [Ping timeout: 480 seconds]
14:22 < svenman> Okay, bye now. Enjoy your endoskeletons, your terrestial gravity and your nitrogen-oxygen atmosphere, as I will!
14:22 < karhell_s> bye for now, svenman
14:22 <@Sustainabilizer> svenman: Tschüs!
14:22 < Angelastic> Will do!
14:22 -!- Neil_Boekend is now known as Neil_Boekend_s
14:23 < Neil_Boekend_s> bye Svenman
14:23 < svenman> Bye all, see you on the OTT!
14:23 -!- svenman has left #ott [Once you know what it is you want to be true, instinct is a very useful device for enabling you to know that it is]
14:23 -!- Angelastic is now known as Neil_Boekend
14:23 -!- karhell_s is now known as Angelastic
14:23 < Neil_Boekend> Hi; I'm Neil_Boekend and I'm definitely not a robot.
14:23 < Neil_Boekend_s> lol
14:24 -!- Neil_Boekend is now known as karhell_t
14:24 < Angelastic> And I'm Angelastic, and definitely not a giant spider
14:24 -!- karhell_t is now known as Angelastic_s
14:24 -!- Neil_Boekend_s is now known as GLR
14:24 -!- Angelastic is now known as karhell_s
14:24 < Angelastic_s> I concur; Angelastic is definitely not a giant spider made of legs.
14:25 -!- Angelastic_s is now known as Angelastic
14:25 -!- GLR is now known as Great_Lord_Randall
14:25 -!- karhell_s is now known as cueball_s
14:26 -!- ED_leopad has joined #ott
14:26 < ED_leopad> Heyo
14:26 < Great_Lord_Randall> heyo
14:26 < cueball_s> Heyo
14:26 < balthasar_s_s> Heyo,
14:27 -!- cueball_s is now known as pinklymolp
14:27 < balthasar_s_s> I look away from the screen for a short while (interrupted by b.day wishes) and everyone is suddnely everyone else?
14:28 < Angelastic> Identity is an illusion; identity theft, doubly so.
14:28 < Great_Lord_Randall> dunno
14:28 < Great_Lord_Randall> bananas
14:28 < Angelastic> banana slugs
14:29 < Great_Lord_Randall> omnomnom
14:29 < balthasar_s_s> did we have banana brainslugs?
14:29 * pinklymolp re-checks OTT...
14:29 < balthasar_s_s> brainana slugs.
14:30 < pinklymolp> Indeed, Happy cakeday, balthasar :)
14:30 -!- ED_MAD has joined #ott
14:33 -!- AluisioASG has quit [Quit: Switching to WTA]
14:34 -!- pinklymolp is now known as karhell
14:34 -!- ED_leopad has quit [Ping timeout: 480 seconds]
14:34 < ggh> whoa. Made a cuppa tea and now I don't know whose who.
14:34 < PraktiKante> same here
14:34 < ggh> who's
14:34 < karhell> XD I was there, and momentarily didn't know who was who ^^
14:35 <@Sustainabilizer> I'm not sure who I am anymore.
14:35 < Angelastic> mm, tea. good idea.
14:35 -!- Great_Lord_Randall is now known as Neil_Boekend
14:35 < ggh> suddenly I feel everyone's privacy is completely intact.
14:35 < Angelastic> But I'll have coffee instead, since I have hazelnut milk and I think it'll give coffee a nice flavour.
14:35 -!- karhell is now known as squirpy
14:36 < squirpy> you mentioned hazelnut ?
14:36 * Sustainabilizer is drinking tea.
14:36 -!- Neil_Boekend is now known as Squirpython
14:36 * Squirpython noms squirpy
14:36 < squirpy> eeeep
14:36 < ggh> I just threw some cocoa powder in the tea - an experiment I may ave to repeat.
14:36 < Squirpython> omnomnom
14:37 -!- squirpy is now known as molpyphant
14:37 < Squirpython> eeeeeep
14:37 < Angelastic> I've had chocolate tea before, but not like that.
14:37 < PraktiKante> is this still #ott?
14:37 <@Sustainabilizer> You know that we're logging EVERYTHING, do you?
14:37 < Squirpython> yes
14:38 <@Sustainabilizer> Then it's okay. Molpy on.
14:38 < molpyphant> well, we are known for being particularly silly ^^
14:38 -!- Squirpython is now known as Neil_Boekend
14:38 -!- molpyphant is now known as karhell
14:38 < recording_all_this_s> You mean, all this is recorded? :shock:
14:38 < Neil_Boekend> LOL
14:38 <@Sustainabilizer> And there's a seaish monitor showing everything we type to the public.
14:38 -!- ED_MAD has quit [Ping timeout: 480 seconds]
14:38 <@Sustainabilizer> ... where public = PraktiKante + myself.
14:39 < balthasar_s_s> Related question:
14:39 < balthasar_s_s> this time we have only an IRC, without video stream,
14:40 < balthasar_s_s> Is it save to publish the log to the OTT after removing only IP information?
14:40 -!- aasg has joined #ott
14:40 < karhell> Should be
14:40 < Neil_Boekend> IMHO: yes
14:40 -!- aasg is now known as AluisioASG
14:40 < karhell> Not much identification to be done by text
14:40 <@Sustainabilizer> Welcome forward, AluisioASG!
14:41 <@Sustainabilizer> What about OTTer names?
14:41 < AluisioASG> Thanks
14:41 < Neil_Boekend> aash, you OK with the log being posted minus IP addys?
14:41 * Sustainabilizer is OK with that.
14:41 * karhell is also OK with that
14:41 < balthasar_s_s> WEveryone posting here KNOWS that this is public.
14:41 < AluisioASG> I have about 5 lines on this. Guess I'm cool with that.
14:42 -!- recordin1_all_this_s has joined #ott
14:42 < Neil_Boekend> Redundacy!
14:42 < karhell> Oo balthasar is pullin an ED
14:42 -!- ED_leopad has joined #ott
14:43 <@Sustainabilizer> Tin is approaching.
14:43 <@Sustainabilizer> Who did ask about HappyHydro?
14:43 < ED_leopad> Me!
14:43 < ggh> I'm good with that too. My love for Simon Barnett's tango cannot remain a secret forever.
14:43 < karhell> I think I did, but I'm not sure I'm myself anymore >.<
14:43 < balthasar_s_s> No, the botsastle just switched its IP, so it reconnected.
14:44 < ED_leopad> My appreciation for Summer Glau... it is known.
14:44 < ED_leopad> But not by my parents.
14:44 -!- You're now known as recording_all_this
14:44 < ED_leopad> They've never heard of her.
14:44 < karhell> if they'd bothered reading the OTT like sensible people, they would know ^^
14:44 -!- PraktiKante is now known as surrim
14:45 <@Sustainabilizer> (surrim = Tin)
14:45 < ED_leopad> They kinda know xkcd exists
14:45 < ggh> Hi Tin!
14:45 < karhell> Hi Tin !
14:45 < Neil_Boekend> I got my dad the What If book last birthday
14:45 < ED_leopad> Yay
14:46 < Neil_Boekend> so he definately knows what XKCD is
14:46 < ED_leopad> I played some what if while washing dishes a time or two
14:46 < balthasar_s_s> my family knows about ott but not about xkcd.
14:47 < Angelastic> I don't mind if this is published; I might not even really be Angelastic.
14:47 < ED_leopad> They are maybe vaguely aware of sandcastle builder. Not that it got an IGN article. Or of IGN in general
14:48 < Angelastic> So was the sharing of videos from the meetup discussed before I got here? Was there a conclusion?
14:48 < ED_leopad> I haven't discussed it directly
14:48 < surrim> ED_leopad, happyhydro is currently under developement, we are now using pimpl idiom to use our new serialisation library.. after that we are going to publish the code for the core library on github. the server has all functions, except of server-to-server functions. the client code needs a bit more things. first we need a solid crypto base, boot looks good atm
14:48 <@Sustainabilizer> BTW, congratulations, ED, o your IGN article. (I wanted to post about that, but ... no Time, you know ...)
14:49 -!- recording_all_this_s has quit [Ping timeout: 480 seconds]
14:49 < ED_leopad> Thanks surrim. Any idea on the timeline?
14:49 < Angelastic> I'd like to see what went on there. I'd have been there, if I'd known about it, and if I hadn't been stuck on the other side of the world.
14:49 < ED_leopad> Thanks Sustainabilizer
14:49 <@Sustainabilizer> Uaaah! We've lost recording_all_this! :(
14:49 < recording_all_this> no
14:50 < ED_leopad> Haha
14:50 < karhell> we lost recording_all_this_s
14:50 <@Sustainabilizer> Thanks GLR! :)
14:50 < Neil_Boekend> redundacy to the rescue!
14:50 <@Sustainabilizer> :)
14:50 < ED_leopad> I almost want to know how terrible my singing was. Almost
14:51 < surrim> "when its done", but it can't take much time anymore. i'm the only one developer atm, because others have to prepare for exams
14:51 < ED_leopad> Ahh.
14:51 < Angelastic> If I'd been there, I'd have sung Chirpy Molpy Wait.
14:51 < ggh> "stuck on the other side of the world" Angelastic? This side is awesomeful!
14:52 < ED_leopad> Also I hope to find out if I can make something more popular than the Hotdog but actually worthwhile, usuable, and less ridiculous
14:52 < Angelastic> it's okay, I guess. But it's harder to get around; the public transport is not very good.
14:52 < ggh> Fair call.
14:53 < ED_leopad> Much if my hotdog is of limited/narrow molpishness
14:53 < Angelastic> and it doesn't have my desk or my chair or my books.
14:53 < balthasar_s_s> HH is something really interesting. I will want to find out more about it. But first I havr to finish university.
14:53 < karhell> When it's released, I'll definitely have a look at it
14:53 < Angelastic> I missed the part of the OTT where 'hotdog' was defined.
14:53 < karhell> I got that somewhere
14:53 < Neil_Boekend> yeah, that went quick
14:53 < ggh> game
14:54 < ED_leopad> i'd like to try building an online community thing some day and HH happens to fit the specifications of the platform it woukd require.
14:55 < ED_leopad> Angelastic: it had to do with me apologising for continual need for mustard removal.
14:55 <@Sustainabilizer> Angelastic: "hotdog" = "computer game" = something with a lot of mustard ... partially ninja'd.
14:56 < ggh> I'd be quite keen to try out HH too.
14:56 < Angelastic> aha.
14:57 < Angelastic> And what's HH?
14:57 < ggh> I think you should make chess fun for dumb people ED.
14:57 < surrim> ED_leopad, you can look https://github.com/surrim for changes. i think i will publish it there first. but the main repo will be hosted on another side. github is used as "backup" and to accept pull requests
14:57 < Neil_Boekend> The search function doesn't give me the post but I remember it went like: ED was apologising profusely for mustard, I posted "When making hotdogs some mustard may be spilled. Don't worrry about it" and thus a newword was born
14:57 < ED_leopad> i should develop GrapevineGrapevine (formerly CueMegAll) some more
14:58 < ED_leopad> Thanks Neil_Boekend for those sage words
14:58 < Angelastic> I should publish the yet-newer Haiku Detector, which is faster and accidentally more accurate.
14:58 < ED_leopad> Thanks surrim
14:58 < ED_leopad> ggh: someone did that...
14:59 < ED_leopad> ggh: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qt8XnDfyTpc
14:59 < ED_leopad> Enjoy
15:00 < ED_leopad> funny how my signal is best in a moving vehicle
15:00 < surrim> what about the questions about happyhydro which were asked when we made the presentation? i still didn't get them from anybody till now. i have never read the comments :/
15:00 -!- Sustainabilizer changed the topic of #ott to: T** **d of the official part. Optional decree: Be molpish!
15:01 < balthasar_s_s> ED Well, you are on a MOBILE phone. It has to move in order to work correctly.
15:01 < balthasar_s_s> I have a hexagonal version of chess at home.
15:02 < Neil_Boekend> ED: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=chess+boxing&ia=about
15:02 < AluisioASG> Has been there any discussion about the Conference's logs and video and *?
15:03 < Neil_Boekend> No
15:04 < Angelastic> AHA, so it *was* CEST, 3 newpix from the time when Sustainabilizer said it'd be 4 newpix.
15:04 < Neil_Boekend> a bit of *, but most of * not
15:04 < ED_leopad> Molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy grapevine grapevine!
15:04 < ED_leopad> Good point balthasar_s_s !!
15:04 < ED_leopad> Also i typed all that manually on touchpad, no cheating :D
15:04 < Neil_Boekend> then again there is an awful lot of *
15:04 < Angelastic> I'm so molpish, I'm putting food into my mouthparts just like a molpy would.
15:04 -!- ED_afl has quit [Read error: Connection reset by peer]
15:05 < karhell> Got it !
15:05 < karhell> viewtopic.php?p=3473321#p3473321
15:05 < ED_leopad> My nonstormangel siblings play weird chess variants regularly
15:05 < ED_leopad> Awwww my home laptop went offline :(
15:05 < Neil_Boekend> yaay Karhell
15:06 < ED_leopad> And now i;m in my driveway
15:06 < Neil_Boekend> in or on?
15:06 < ED_leopad> Thanks karhell
15:06 < ED_leopad> Lol Angelastic
15:06 < ED_leopad> at my driveway?
15:07 < ED_leopad> Within the area
15:07 < Neil_Boekend> I am doubting wether I will order foodstufs, defrost foodstufs or go on a quick run to the supermarket and make foodstuffs
15:08 < Angelastic> I just cut some pieces of foodstuff off a foodstuff and spread foodstuffs on them.
15:08 < Neil_Boekend> or massacre my neighbors and use them for foodstuffs
15:08 < ggh> Should we discuss the Conference's logs? Some are despairing that these shall ever get published....
15:08 < Angelastic> use them *as* foodstuffs?
15:08 < Neil_Boekend> yes.
15:09 < Angelastic> not the logs, the neighbours. We're not beavermolps.
15:09 < balthasar_s_s> From what I remember,
15:09 < balthasar_s_s> It was agreed to publish them if we
15:09 < ED_leopad> Ha
15:10 < ED_leopad> There was some agreeing yes
15:10 < Neil_Boekend> I'm not entirely sure if everyone was present when that was asked
15:10 < Neil_Boekend> but all that were there did agree
15:10 < Neil_Boekend> AFAIK\
15:10 < Neil_Boekend> Not that I have any logs or any objections agains posting my parts
15:10 < karhell> there was some sanitising to do in order to not be able to identify people
15:11 < karhell> mrob was working on that, iirc
15:11 < balthasar_s_s> make some changes: remove IP information, edit things where the text mentions a person on the video,
15:12 < ED_leopad> Someone[s] worked on that, yes?
15:12 < ED_leopad> Yeah.
15:12 < balthasar_s_s> for example if mrob said: "nice shirt, balthasar".
15:12 -!- surrim has quit [Ping timeout: 480 seconds]
15:12 < balthasar_s_s> Yes, mrob was working on it.
15:13 < balthasar_s_s> And if i understand correctly most of the work is done,
15:13 < Angelastic> So was there some kind of text chat where other OTTers could attend the conference virtually?
15:13 < Neil_Boekend> yes
15:13 < karhell> this very room
15:13 < balthasar_s_s> also some helped.
15:13 < karhell> ayup, some helped
15:14 < Neil_Boekend> and a stream of the room the conference was in
15:14 < ED_leopad> I don't remember what most people wore, incidentally. Unless it was bright red or purple.
15:14 < Angelastic> drat, so I *could* have attended if I'd known about it? Let this be a warning for you: NEVER GO INTO THE BASEMENT. NEVER!
15:14 < ED_leopad> it was like this
15:14 <@Sustainabilizer> surrim just said to me: talking about data privacy is like talking about death.
15:14 < ggh> I think he proposed a solution - maybe a password-protected less-sanitized version, and a more public sanitized one, but I can't recall if any consensus followed. Maybe we should set a timeframe for a discussion.
15:14 < ED_leopad> haha good one surrim
15:14 < Neil_Boekend> and we called a few people. We sang with yappo
15:15 < Angelastic> So the videos are going to be released one frame per hour, right?
15:15 < ED_leopad> Password protected less sanitised of the afterparty
15:15 < Angelastic> there was yappo singing? Ohh, why did I even join this Cönnchen? It just makes me sad I missed that one.
15:16 < Neil_Boekend> sorry
15:16 < ED_leopad> Yappo previewed a new song
15:16 < ED_leopad> Presung
15:16 < ED_leopad> There was too much me singing too
15:16 < balthasar_s_s> I think, it would be a good idea to ask him about the progress, Anf if he needs any more help.
15:16 < Neil_Boekend> yes, I remember
15:16 < ggh> You were epic!
15:16 < Neil_Boekend> haven't succeded in forgetting that yet :P
15:17 < AluisioASG> We'd need to talk about password delivery then.
15:17 < karhell> opt-in, via PM ?
15:17 < Angelastic> via iMessage. :p
15:17 < karhell> ^^
15:18 < Angelastic> By the way, I was right: Coffee does taste nice with hazelnut milk.
15:18 * Sustainabilizer will be travelling now, but ...
15:18 <@Sustainabilizer> I'll be back. B)
15:19 < karhell> See you soon, sustainabilizer ^^
15:19 < ggh> I'm still trying to work out the math though. It was said there were 20 in the room. And 20 beanies. But one beanie was sent off to a yappo. So who didn't get a beanie?
15:19 < Angelastic> there were beanies?! Neat!
15:20 < balthasar_s_s> I also came with my own beanie. The one you can see in the timetravel film.
15:20 < karhell> yeah, but nobody could understand them
15:20 < ggh> The beanies were a grand touch. Go Sustainabilizer!
15:20 < Neil_Boekend> I believe it was mine. I already had a related hat
15:21 < ggh> You left beanieless? What a generous move!
15:21 < Neil_Boekend> Yappo had a sad story why he couldn't be there
15:22 * ggh thinks twice about discussing it
15:23 * ggh snickers
15:23 < Neil_Boekend> It had something to do with selling an accordeon
15:24 -!- ED_leopad has quit [Ping timeout: 480 seconds]
15:25 < Angelastic> I remember yappo saying something about the dates other people wanted to do it being bad for him, back when it was still just a doodle.
15:25 < ggh> Someday, we all gotta go to a yappo concert together.
15:26 < Angelastic> yeah.
15:27 -!- balthasar_s_s is now known as balthasar_s
15:33 -!- ED_leopad has joined #ott
15:34 < ED_leopad> Oh i wasn;t looking for a few minutes and it happen3d to be offline all that time
15:34 < ED_leopad> sadface
15:34 < ED_leopad> Well i better coma
15:34 -!- ED_leopad has quit []
15:34 < Neil_Boekend> night night
15:35 < ggh> g'night ED
15:39 < ggh> I just posted to the OTT in case SBN or any of the other East Coast OTTers want to stop by. It's 9:40 AM there now
Last edited by balthasar_s on Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:27 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:45 am UTC

Part 4:

Spoiler:
15:46 -!- balthasar_s is now known as balthasar_s[Outside]
15:47 < balthasar_s[Outside]> bye, I have some work to do.
15:47 < Neil_Boekend> bye
15:51 < ggh> Have fun stormin' the castle!
15:53 < Neil_Boekend> o.O is that an euphemism?
15:54 < ggh> It wasn't, but I guess now it is.
15:54 < Neil_Boekend> ah
15:54 < karhell> just how many euphemisms do we have, now ? ^^
15:54 < Neil_Boekend> inf
15:54 < Neil_Boekend> everything is an euphemism
15:55 < balthasar_s[Outside]> Thanks, I'll have much fun staring at disorganised pixels and making writings to have the pixels organised.
15:56 < ggh> As you know, everything looks better in front of an explosion.
15:57 < ggh> But if you go that route, remember to wear protective gear.
15:57 < Neil_Boekend> radiation and heat shielding
15:57 < Neil_Boekend> together with a well designed bunker
15:57 < balthasar_s[Outside]> I have some gears here, I hope they'll protect me well.
16:02 < Angelastic> Well, I'd better go work on a C++ (ugh) assignment for a job I applied for. GoodTime, everyone!
16:02 < Neil_Boekend> have fun
16:03 -!- Angelastic has quit [Quit: be grapevineish!]
16:03 < Neil_Boekend> molpy
16:05 < ggh> molpy
16:06 < Neil_Boekend> molpy
16:06 < ggh> molpy
16:07 < Neil_Boekend> molpy
16:07 < ggh> molpy
16:07 < Neil_Boekend> molpy
16:07 < ggh> molpy
16:07 < Neil_Boekend> grapevine
16:07 < ggh> grapevine
16:07 < Neil_Boekend> yaay
16:07 < ggh> :)
16:07 < Neil_Boekend> :D
16:08 < ggh> The sea is big!
16:09 < Neil_Boekend> the river is small
16:10 < AluisioASG> wow
16:11 < karhell> tree
16:11 < Neil_Boekend> wowterfall
16:12 < balthasar_s[Outside]> wowtreefall
16:12 < karhell> TIMBEEEEEEER
16:12 < karhell> (sorry, couldn't resist ^^)
16:13 < Neil_Boekend> aww, and I had used the superconductor joke already today
16:13 < karhell> ah, well redundancy is superconductive
16:14 < karhell> or something like that ^^
16:14 < karhell> aaanyway, brb, teatime
16:14 -!- karhell is now known as karhell_teatime
16:15 < ggh> enjoy!
16:30 <@Sustainabilizer> Hi! You're still here? :)
16:30 < Neil_Boekend> Nope
16:30 < Neil_Boekend> I'm gone
16:30 <@Sustainabilizer> I just wanted to jump in and say M32 before I throw some humans through the hall.
16:30 <@Sustainabilizer> ... I mean: ... some other humans through the hall.
16:30 < Neil_Boekend> M32?
16:31 <@Sustainabilizer> X, A'Lb,.
16:31 < Neil_Boekend> You should cocoon them in silk so you can digest them later
16:31 < Neil_Boekend> It's traditional
16:32 < balthasar_s[Outside]> I'm still here but not reading in real time. I'm organising some pixels
16:32 <@Sustainabilizer> Okay. Good idea. :) Bye for now.
16:32 < Neil_Boekend> bye for now
16:33 < AluisioASG> I'm organizing a concert for tubes.
16:33 < balthasar_s[Outside]> Also in a moment I'll be more outside, I'll use a wheeled thing to go to places.
16:34 < Neil_Boekend> I'm blitzing 8 bit theatre
16:34 < balthasar_s[Outside]> Because that's totally what people do.
16:34 < Neil_Boekend> but soon I'll go to the supermarket to get edibles for stuffing in my human mouth
16:39 < ggh> I was not here, but now I'm not here either.
16:40 < Neil_Boekend> oh. thanks for the update
16:42 -!- karhell_teatime is now known as karhell
16:48 < Neil_Boekend> wb
17:02 < karhell> s'gotten quiet round here
17:04 < Neil_Boekend> shh, we're hunting molpies
17:05 * Neil_Boekend loads a cannon
17:05 * karhell falls silent, and hunts molpies
17:06 * Neil_Boekend puts a silencer on the cannon
17:06 * karhell looks in utter astonishment
17:07 * karhell prepares to cast a BM-style hadoken
17:08 * Neil_Boekend whispers make it a silent one
17:08 < Neil_Boekend> else you'll scare away the molpies
17:08 < karhell> Hadoken!
17:09 < Neil_Boekend> pff (silenced cannon)
17:09 < karhell> ^^
17:09 < Neil_Boekend> Medoken!
17:10 < karhell> I'd forgotten about that one ^^
17:10 < Neil_Boekend> lol
17:11 < Neil_Boekend> but seriously: brb, afk, foodstufs
17:11 < karhell> ok
17:11 -!- Neil_Boekend is now known as Neil_Boekend_AFK
17:18 < ggh> I think it would be hard to eat anything that had been hunted with a silenced cannon.
17:19 < karhell> Headcannon, maybe ^^
17:20 < karhell> or with a spoon
17:28 -!- AluisioASG2 has joined #ott
17:32 -!- AluisioASG2 has quit []
17:32 < karhell> I'm off to my tai-chi class. I'll try to come back later
17:33 -!- AluisioASG2 has joined #ott
17:33 < karhell> If not, then preemptive bye o/
17:33 -!- karhell has quit []
17:35 -!- ggh has quit [Remote host closed the connection]
17:35 -!- AluisioASG2 has quit []
17:36 -!- AluisioASG_s has joined #ott
17:37 < AluisioASG_s> Sorry, got locked out of my own room.
17:39 < balthasar_s[Outside]> Hi, I'm back from the outside Outside, Now time for regular Outside, I just broke my redundabike.
17:40 -!- Neil_Boekend_AFK has quit [Quit: Leaving.]
18:01 -!- AluisioASG has quit [Quit: lunch]
18:03 -!- ggh has joined #ott
18:04 -!- Neil_Boekend has joined #ott
18:04 < Neil_Boekend> yaay
18:06 < ggh> yay that you're here, but I must molpy down. I don't know if I said that before... I tried to but my window was frozen, and thn reloading wiped out whatever was said before.
18:07 < Neil_Boekend> have a good coma
18:07 < ggh> Cheers Neil! Molpy on. :)
18:07 < Neil_Boekend> Cheers
18:18 -!- ggh has quit [Remote host closed the connection]
18:41 -!- mscha has quit [Quit: HydraIRC -> http://www.hydrairc.com <- Go on, try it!]
19:08 <@Sustainabilizer> ReHi.
19:08 < Neil_Boekend> molpy
19:08 <@Sustainabilizer> grapevine
19:09 < Neil_Boekend> the river is small
19:09 <@Sustainabilizer> the sea is big
19:11 <@Sustainabilizer> Yes, I'm a human with only one mouth, and an OTTer.
19:11 < Neil_Boekend> me too
19:11 < Neil_Boekend> I also have two hands with approximately six fingers each
19:15 <@Sustainabilizer> Neil_Boekend: Are you aware of the IP info you are providing?
19:16 < Neil_Boekend> not specifically, but I assume my IP adress is displayed with my login
19:16 < balthasar_s[Outside]> Wait, you are a human with only one OTTer?
19:16 -!- AluisioASG_s has quit [Ping timeout: 480 seconds]
19:17 < Neil_Boekend> yes I am
19:22 <@Sustainabilizer> Neil_Boekend: And your login name.
19:23 -!- AluisioASG has joined #ott
19:23 < Neil_Boekend> yes, of course
19:23 < Neil_Boekend> what's your point
19:24 < Neil_Boekend> (it's a bit hard to speak to me whithout a user name)
19:24 < AluisioASG> What did I miss about having only one OTTer?
19:24 < balthasar_s[Outside]> <@Sustainabilizer> wrote: "Yes, I'm a human with only one mouth, and an OTTer."
19:30 <@Sustainabilizer> Of course I have ... only ... one ... OTTer. What do you mean? Are you suggesting I'm anything else than a human with only one mouh, and an OTTer?
19:31 < balthasar_s[Outside]> N_B, I think he means you give enough information, to link together your OTT identitiy and Outside Identity.
19:32 <@Sustainabilizer> Neil_Boekend: The Internet doesn't need your account name to speak to you, just the number of the outgoing port of your IRC client software. But your login name is displayed together with your IP address (which _is_ needed to speak to you). And I remember from the seaish OTTerCon that you didn't want that name to be disclosed.
19:33 < Neil_Boekend> I can't remember not allowing my login name being displayed.
19:33 < Neil_Boekend> and I assume that all posted logs will be scrubbed of IP adresses (since that is relatively easily automated)
19:33 < balthasar_s[Outside]> Not the Neil_Boekend name, the name dispalyed at:
19:34 <@Sustainabilizer> I just /msg'd you something.
19:34 < Neil_Boekend> I se
19:34 < balthasar_s[Outside]> 18:04 Neil_Boekend [~some_name@some.ip] has joined joined #ott
19:37 < balthasar_s[Outside]> I wonder why the IRC server is showing this info to everyone.
19:38 < Neil_Boekend> I wonder why the chirp Pidgin is sending it in the first place
19:42 -!- Neil_Boekend has quit [Quit: test]
19:43 -!- Neil_Boekend has joined #ott
19:43 < balthasar_s[Outside]> still the same.
19:43 < Neil_Boekend> is this better?
19:43 < Neil_Boekend> aww
19:44 -!- Neil_Boekend has quit []
19:44 -!- Neil_Boekend has joined #ott
19:44 < Neil_Boekend> better?
19:44 < balthasar_s[Outside]> Yes.
19:44 <@Sustainabilizer> Yeah.
19:44 < Neil_Boekend> yaay
19:47 -!- kxcd has joined #ott
19:55 <@Sustainabilizer> Hi, kxa!
19:55 < kxcd> hi;
19:55 <@Sustainabilizer> Nice to meet you in person IRC.
19:55 < kxcd> privacy-related:
19:55 <@Sustainabilizer> I hope our English is OK for you.
19:56 < kxcd> b posted some pictures of frames with me and bike,
19:56 -!- _667 has joined #ott
19:57 < kxcd> in case it's not clear, these aren't pictures of me.
19:57 -!- _667 has quit []
19:57 < kxcd> An actress is playing in this reenactment.
19:57 < kxcd> But this is my bike.
19:57 <@Sustainabilizer> b mentioned that in the OTT, but it's good that you are confirming it in person.
19:57 < kxcd> bye.
19:57 < Neil_Boekend> Are you posting from the moonbase too?
19:58 <@Sustainabilizer> kxcd: Be welcome to stay for a while.
19:58 -!- _lmjb has joined #ott
19:58 <@Sustainabilizer> Hi, _lmjb!
19:58 < _lmjb> Hi. Is this thing on?
19:58 < kxcd> I have things to do.
19:58 < _lmjb> Hi, Sustainabilizer!
19:58 < Neil_Boekend> yes this thing is on
19:58 -!- kxcd has quit [Quit: leaving]
19:58 <@Sustainabilizer> kxcd: Good luck. Thanks for showing up. Bye!
19:58 < _lmjb> Neil!! HI!
19:58 < AluisioASG> Hoy
19:58 < Neil_Boekend> Hi june bug!
19:59 < Neil_Boekend> by kxa
19:59 < _lmjb> Hey, Lu! Yay! I didn't totally miss it.
20:00 < balthasar_s[Outside]> Hi _lmjb
20:00 < _lmjb> Hiya, balthasar! Thanks for the FB post!
20:00 < _lmjb> So, what'd I miss?
20:01 < balthasar_s[Outside]> The official part is over 5 hours ago,
20:01 < Neil_Boekend> a lot of molpying about
20:02 < _lmjb> Ah, just what I expected.
20:02 < balthasar_s[Outside]> I'm going to publish it to the OTT if everyone agrees, also I'll give Sustainabilizer a preview before, just in case.
20:03 < _lmjb> I saw the FB post but didn't have a change to follow the link till just now.
20:03 < balthasar_s[Outside]> Also, what kxa said is true.
20:04 < balthasar_s[Outside]> I was worried I posted it too late.
20:05 < _lmjb> : ) Oops, I mean didn't have a chance.
20:05 <@Sustainabilizer> balthasar_s[Outside]: Interesting. 8-)
20:05 < _lmjb> So, there's a kxa and a kxcd. Is there a kxb?
20:05 <@Sustainabilizer> BTW, this online part was much molpier than the Outside part.
20:06 < balthasar_s[Outside]> Which one is interesting?
20:06 <@Sustainabilizer> Of instance, the bit with the bike.
20:06 <@Sustainabilizer> BTW, the actress was b's sister, right?
20:07 < Neil_Boekend> IMHO the outside OTTerCon was even molpier than this IRC one.
20:07 <@Sustainabilizer> _lmjb: There's a "kxa", a "b", and a "kxcd".
20:07 <@Sustainabilizer> Neil_Boekend: Yes. I was speaking of the Nachhaltigkeitstag in Bochum (todip).
20:07 < _lmjb> Right, I just thought of that. I guess b could be kxb then.
20:08 < Neil_Boekend> ah
20:08 <@Sustainabilizer> Then what about fth and tht?
20:08 <@Sustainabilizer> beh
20:08 < balthasar_s[Outside]> I think I showed you pictures of b's sisters so you should know:)
20:09 <@Sustainabilizer> :)
20:09 < balthasar_s[Outside]> fth, tht, I'll post about it later.
20:09 <@Sustainabilizer> Hmm... maybe we shouldn't distract balthasar_s too much from his [Outside] stuff ...
20:10 < balthasar_s[Outside]> Actually, I'm having a break now, waiting.
20:10 < _lmjb> Right! I should be doing Outside stuff too, but this is so molpish!
20:11 < AluisioASG> I bought Smarties from Poland a few days ago.
20:11 < AluisioASG> From Germany actually, but sold in Poland.
20:12 * balthasar_s[Outside] had to look up what smarties are
20:12 < AluisioASG> Don't remember if that's the name
20:13 < AluisioASG> Nestlé's S&Ms
20:13 < Neil_Boekend> yep those are called smarties
20:13 < balthasar_s[Outside]> Also, there is no kxb.
20:14 <@Sustainabilizer> IIRC that's where the "S" in "S&Ms" comes from.
20:14 < AluisioASG> No, those are other S&Ms
20:14 < balthasar_s[Outside]> Also, I asked kxa where the name "kxa" comes from.
20:15 < _lmjb> Skittles and M&Ms were the OTT S&Ms, IIRC
20:16 < AluisioASG> What do y'all think of Telegram?
20:17 <@Sustainabilizer> According to the OtherWiki, the server isn't free software.
20:18 < _lmjb> Going back to candy, Smarties are like Skittles, and we have something called Smarties that are very different.
20:19 < Neil_Boekend> I haven't had them in ages but aren't smarties chocolate filled and skittles sugar filled?
20:19 < balthasar_s[Outside]> telegram.org? never heard of it. Also they use a guy on the moon with a hatted bot to advertise it. (This will not convince me)
20:20 <@Sustainabilizer> From the OtherWiki: "The majority of cryptographic experts doubts the security of the self-developed protocol MTProto."
20:21 < AluisioASG> Sustainabilizer : that's their eventual intention IIRC (either theirs or DDG's)
20:21 < AluisioASG> I want to ship y'all paçoca
20:21 <@Sustainabilizer> What's their intention? Doubtful security?
20:22 < balthasar_s[Outside]> free software?
20:22 < AluisioASG> Open source everything
20:22 <@Sustainabilizer> Redundant: According to the OtherWiki, the server isn't free software.
20:23 < AluisioASG> Eventual intention
20:23 <@Sustainabilizer> Those paçoca look nice. Nom, nom, ...
20:24 < _lmjb> I guess you're right, Neil. I saw something about the orange one being orange flavored, but I guess they do have chocolate so they're more like M&Ms.
20:24 < balthasar_s[Outside]> My mirror wasn't free software. I made it free when it had all the things I wanted.
20:25 < balthasar_s[Outside]> Some my thoughts about online and outside identity.
20:26 < AluisioASG> Speaking of which, I have to consider mirrored attachments. Suggestions?
20:26 < AluisioASG> Copyright of*
20:27 < balthasar_s[Outside]> My OTT ifentity CAN be linked to my outside identity,
20:27 < balthasar_s[Outside]> copyright,
20:27 <@Sustainabilizer> Same for me. But I respect those who don't want that.
20:28 < balthasar_s[Outside]> if the mirrored file violates copyright the original does too.
20:28 <@Sustainabilizer> Yeah.
20:29 < balthasar_s[Outside]> If the original is removed from the post because of this,
20:29 < balthasar_s[Outside]> after some time the bots will reketchup to that page,
20:29 < balthasar_s[Outside]> of you can force using /ott/update.htm
20:30 < balthasar_s[Outside]> Then the mirrored post doesn't have the file either.
20:30 < balthasar_s[Outside]> Problem solved.
20:30 < balthasar_s[Outside]> (The actual file is not removed from the mirror but is not linked anymore)
20:31 <@Sustainabilizer> But what if the original post wasn't changed (yet)?
20:31 < balthasar_s[Outside]> If we get information, we should tell the bots
20:31 < balthasar_s[Outside]> the mods
20:32 <@Sustainabilizer> Good point.
20:32 <@Sustainabilizer> It's molpier for them to get warned by us, rather then by the copyright holders.
20:33 < balthasar_s[Outside]> Currently, there is no automatic way of dealing with non-removed files, they will be reketchupped again.
20:33 < balthasar_s[Outside]> Of course we can place a fake file in the mirror.
20:34 < balthasar_s[Outside]> then the bot will not do anything with it.
20:34 < balthasar_s[Outside]> I did it with time.png
20:34 < balthasar_s[Outside]> On the OTT, time.png is a spoiler (shows last frame)
20:34 < balthasar_s[Outside]> On my mirror time.png shows first frame.
20:36 <@Sustainabilizer> So in case we need it there _is_ a solution. Good.
20:36 < balthasar_s[Outside]> back to identity,
20:36 < balthasar_s[Outside]> is said my identities can be linked,
20:37 < balthasar_s[Outside]> that's because of some things,
20:38 < balthasar_s[Outside]> I sign programs I write with my real name (might be useful soon when I go looking for a FFS)
20:38 < balthasar_s[Outside]> OTT-related programs too.
20:38 <@Sustainabilizer> It's useful for copyright purposes, too.
20:39 < balthasar_s[Outside]> Also I make films and I can be seen in them.
20:40 <@Sustainabilizer> Indeed. Your fake identity is really convincing. ;)
20:40 < _lmjb> :)
20:40 < balthasar_s[Outside]> And no-one else has the same full name,
20:41 < balthasar_s[Outside]> and the name can be easily linked with my face and with other information provided by other people (schools for example)
20:42 < balthasar_s[Outside]> It's easy to find out where I live and I can do nothing to prevent it.
20:43 < balthasar_s[Outside]> That's why I have to be careful.
20:43 < balthasar_s[Outside]> Not post things I would regret later
20:43 < balthasar_s[Outside]> I think i'm siccessfull so far
20:44 < balthasar_s[Outside]> Also, because my location can be determined anyway,
20:44 < balthasar_s[Outside]> I don;t have to be afraid of revealing it (it already is)
20:44 < AluisioASG> I wonder if putting the stuff I did on my PGP key was a good idea
20:45 < balthasar_s[Outside]> Two frames in bftf are big hints about the location.
20:46 <@Sustainabilizer> Yeah. The maps.
20:46 < balthasar_s[Outside]> not those,
20:46 < balthasar_s[Outside]> the location on Earth.
20:46 <@Sustainabilizer> The seaish antenna. ;)
20:47 < balthasar_s[Outside]> But yes, the maps :)
20:47 < balthasar_s[Outside]> They show my location VERY precisely,
20:48 < balthasar_s[Outside]> but are very UNprecise in showing everything else.
20:48 < Neil_Boekend> lol
20:48 < AluisioASG> They are wrong in being right
20:49 < AluisioASG> and right in being wrong
20:50 < balthasar_s[Outside]> f=667
20:52 <@Sustainabilizer> I see.
20:54 -!- kxcd has joined #ott
20:54 < AluisioASG> Since this is going to be posted to the OTT later,
20:55 <@Sustainabilizer> ... without IP information ...
20:55 < AluisioASG> An advice to our soon-to-be University students:
20:56 < AluisioASG> Front row. Always.
20:56 < balthasar_s[Outside]> YES. I agree.
20:56 * Sustainabilizer is confused.
20:56 <@Sustainabilizer> Or are you simply referring to where to sit down during a lecture?
20:57 < balthasar_s[Outside]> I think so.
20:57 < balthasar_s[Outside]> I ususlly sit at front.
20:57 < balthasar_s[Outside]> Not the first row,
20:57 < balthasar_s[Outside]> but the first where anybody sits,
20:57 <@Sustainabilizer> So did I, some yips ago.
20:58 < balthasar_s[Outside]> first one or two are often empty because of being too close.
20:58 <@Sustainabilizer> kxcd: Welcome back.
20:58 < kxcd> Hiagain,
20:58 < kxcd> b asked me where the name kxa comes from.
20:59 < kxcd> Earlier I used a longer username.
20:59 < kxcd> I took the first and last letter and replaced everything else with an x.
21:00 <@Sustainabilizer> :)
21:00 < kxcd> You can probably guess where xkcd comes from.
21:00 < kxcd> kxcd.
21:00 < kxcd> :)
21:00 < kxcd> byeagain
21:00 <@Sustainabilizer> Bye!
21:00 -!- kxcd has quit [Quit: leaving]
21:01 < balthasar_s[Outside]> I hope we don't have an IRCsaw here :)
21:01 <@Sustainabilizer> Why? I didn't see any puns.
21:02 < balthasar_s[Outside]> kxcd
21:02 * Sustainabilizer misses BlitzGirl. She contributed so much to this event.
21:02 < balthasar_s[Outside]> Looks like a pun of kxa and xkcd.
21:02 <@Sustainabilizer> "kxcd" is a molpish nickname for an xkcd-RELATED forum/channel.
21:02 < AluisioASG> You can find me on the Internet as either AluisioASG, aluisio.asg, aluisio_asg, aasg or kAlug.
21:03 <@Sustainabilizer> I usually use my real name.
21:04 < balthasar_s[Outside]> I miss BG too.
21:04 < _lmjb> I'm always very open on the internet. At some point I may be very sorry about that. I mean, I am careful with passwords and obvious confidential personal data, but anyone can track me down at work for sure, and probably at home.
21:04 * Neil_Boekend misses BG too
21:04 < _lmjb> I miss BG too, too.
21:07 <@Sustainabilizer> http://www.cvh-server.de/~pgerwinski/20 ... rivacy.pdf
21:08 <@Sustainabilizer> (13 MB)
21:08 < balthasar_s[Outside]> If I understand correctly, she did know it's going to be today?
21:09 <@Sustainabilizer> Yes, for sure. (Guess, why.)
21:10 < balthasar_s[Outside]> Outside is very outsidish.
21:10 < _lmjb> So she wasn't on at all todip? :(
21:10 <@Sustainabilizer> Not in person. Only in spirit.
21:12 < _lmjb> Just looked at that poster, Sustainabilizer. Did BG do the artwork for that?
21:12 <@Sustainabilizer> Yes. :)
21:13 <@Sustainabilizer> Baobabish, IMHO.
21:13 < _lmjb> Steakish and baobabish!
21:13 <@Sustainabilizer> Yeah. :Cueball:
21:14 < _lmjb> :Cueball:?
21:14 -!- balthasar_s[Outside] is now known as balthasar_s[actuallyOutside]
21:15 < Neil_Boekend> o
21:15 <@Sustainabilizer> ":Cueball:" is a Cueball smiley.
21:15 < Neil_Boekend> o is also a cueball smilie
21:16 < _lmjb> :azule:
21:16 < Neil_Boekend> :D
21:19 < AluisioASG> BRB switching to HTA. Had an idea about logging too.
21:19 -!- AluisioASG has quit [Quit: AtomicIRC: The nuclear option.]
21:26 < balthasar_s[actuallyOutside]> I forgot to ask, how was the Nachhaltigkeitstag?
21:29 <@Sustainabilizer> The IRC part (OTTerCönnchen) was very molpish.
21:29 <@Sustainabilizer> Outside IRC you didn't miss anything.
21:30 <@Sustainabilizer> (The poster was very molpish, but you didn't miss that, since I gave you the URL.)
21:30 <@Sustainabilizer> As surrim wrote: Nobody wants to speak about death - or about data privacy.
21:31 <@Sustainabilizer> Thank y'all for holding up the molpish part! :)
21:32 < balthasar_s[actuallyOutside]> I can understand that - if you speak about it you can't ignore the fact that the problem exists.
21:32 -!- AluisioASG has joined #ott
21:33 <@Sustainabilizer> This by itself is an interesting result.
21:33 <@Sustainabilizer> Hey, and it was created outside IRC and "only" _reported_ on IRC.
21:34 <@Sustainabilizer> So the Outside parts have some value, too.
21:34 < AluisioASG> Is this being logged live?
21:35 <@Sustainabilizer> Yes. By recording_all_this, by Neil_Boekend, by myself, ...
21:35 < balthasar_s[actuallyOutside]> Do you have any plans about the IRClog?
21:36 < balthasar_s[actuallyOutside]> Also I had a dream in which you were in my basement,
21:36 <@Sustainabilizer> What about this? Remove all IP information, and publish it on the OTT.
21:36 < balthasar_s[actuallyOutside]> there were some other people too
21:36 < balthasar_s[actuallyOutside]> with beards
21:36 < AluisioASG> who you?
21:37 < balthasar_s[actuallyOutside]> I tried to explain something about a car to them.
21:37 < balthasar_s[actuallyOutside]> in German
21:37 < AluisioASG> I think we can have a bot to make public live logs.
21:37 < Neil_Boekend> I'm not logging
21:37 < balthasar_s[actuallyOutside]> I never speak German in dreams.
21:38 < AluisioASG> I think I understood what Sustainabilizer meant
21:38 <@Sustainabilizer> Now you did.
21:38 <@Sustainabilizer> Neil_Boekend isn't logging? But someone else said xe was ...
21:39 < balthasar_s[actuallyOutside]> I asked if you have any plans except the OTT (Nachhaltigkeitstag-related or something like that)
21:39 < Neil_Boekend> Unless Pidgin logs by default I am not logging
21:39 <@Sustainabilizer> None so far.
21:40 <@Sustainabilizer> Thinking about it, maybe we can extract some conclusions from it and write some <sciency stuff> about it - preferably together with those participants involved.
21:40 * balthasar_s[actuallyOutside] goes back Outside.
21:48 < _lmjb> Well, I am definitely not getting any of the Outside work done that I need to do, and I have a very steambottle project I have to finish. : ( Stay molpish, my friends!
21:48 -!- _lmjb has quit [Quit: Page closed]
21:55 -!- karhell has joined #ott
21:55 -!- karhell has left #ott []
22:09 -!- AluisioASG has quit [Remote host closed the connection]
22:30 < Neil_Boekend> Bye, see all y'all in the OTT
22:31 -!- Neil_Boekend has quit [Quit: penis]
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:46 am UTC

yaay logs!
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

SilentTimer

TimeAfterTime Revisited – t1i-1316

Postby SilentTimer » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:00 am UTC

MOLPY WALKS DOWN SOME XKPLAINXKCD IN THAT HAT, PEOPLE KNOW XE'S NOT AFRAID OF ANYTHUNG. -- ongomome
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

Did you notice …
… the Zanclean flood?
Spoiler:
… the nature of the danger?

mscha

Time Revisited - np2310

Postby mscha » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:10 am UTC

SUNGUINENESS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:I WENT TO THE TOWER AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY T-SHIRT

-- posted by oldpixbot

Eternal Density

Re: 1190: "Time to hide"

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:47 am UTC

Just so you all know, todip a helicopter spend a long time circling above and around my house, with people leaning out to take pictures.
That may or may not be RELATED to the IRC.
ETA it was the electrical company looking at the poles and wires. They sent a letter ahead of Time.

I have finished blitzing the chat. Molpish.
ROFLraptors @ the**ding signoff by N_B!

ggh

Postby ggh » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:05 pm UTC

Wow - I missed a lot of molpish ircishness at the end. I was sooooo tired.

Hey! Nice to see ChronosDragon - yay!
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

HES

Postby HES » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:53 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:yaay logs!

Spoiler:
He/Him/His Image

SilentTimer

TimeAfterTime Revisited – t1i-1317

Postby SilentTimer » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:00 pm UTC

"SCHIZOBLITZ THE S&M" SOUNDS LIKE A FUNG GAZEBO. -- ongomome
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

Did you notice …
… what Megan has spotted?
Spoiler:

mattachu

Postby mattachu » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:43 pm UTC

Hooray! Cake!
ergman wrote:<snip>
...I'll make this a blitz-checkpoint instead. You're doing great, all who pass! Keep signposting, we love those, and keep enjoying the glory that is the past.
have some cake:
Spoiler:

P.S. Unrelated to anything, my own comment, "Hooray! Cake!" reminded me (in form) of one of my favourite lines from the Harry Potter series: "Alas! Earwax!"
I always thought the first film should have ended there, if not the first book.

EDIT: I should probably say that said cake was found on NP601, seeing as my context is a little different to yours...

ggh

Postby ggh » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:36 pm UTC

Hooray mattachu!

I now imagine that your avatar is smiling because he has had cake.

ETA veteran picnic sauce:
From NP 2302 -
Caprice, your songs are treeish, and I've had fun reading the new limerick page you put in the wiki, svenman. Thanks!
mrob, you were looking for wordplay via kerning. I have none, but I do giggle when I see a TO LET sign that due to weathering or folding appears to say "toilet". And vice versa.

From NP 2303 -
SilentTimer made reference to the plant I thought was agave, but isn't. That chirpin' plant is driving me nuts. Can someone in Europe ID those flowers on the tall stalks with the ferny bottoms? They're pretty epsilon.
mrob, if I haven't told you yet how steakish I think the OTTsford Molpish Dictionary is, I do so now.
t1i has quackmolpies that can be sexed by the tail pixels? Wow. Makes me wonder about the rabtor....
Palatalization. Palatalization. Caprice, do you pronounce your name with palatalization?
Where do the ONGs com from - that sure was fun. :)
Last edited by ggh on Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:50 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Agatha the Awesomeful

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:45 pm UTC

New OtherComic.

1200 posts! Cake for everymolpy!
Spoiler:
Neat logs, HES and CD!

Hi mattachu! :)
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

ucim

Postby ucim » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:02 pm UTC

karhell at the end wrote:10:27 < ggh> Speaking of SNR... privacy though... Sometimes I wonder if the best defense is a good offense. It's so hard to keep information private, but so easy to generate lots and lots of information that doesn't mean anything.
10:28 < ED_leopad> Hmm
10:28 < Neil_Boekend> indeed
10:29 < karhell> iirc, that's ucim's tactic
Huh? You sure you're not referring to ED's bots?

azule wrote:11:48 < azule> anyone still use duckduckgo? I don't anymore because I'm lazy and google is default search engine on mobile chrome..and there's no damn option to switch to ddg

I do! I do!

three otters probably not in a bar wrote:13:16 < balthasar_s> I'm aware that there are people that might want to use this information. I wonder what facebook itself might want to do with it.
13:17 < PraktiKante> first of all: collect as much information. Second: link information together to form profiles of users
13:17 < Neil_Boekend> Third: serve ads based on that profile
The real danger here is the control of editorial content. As I've said before, it's not that difficult to write umwelted articles in the press, or eBooks, or whatever, tying the style or slant to one's profile. Not only (for example) could Google control the google bubble, it could sell the ability to rewrite the editorial content behind the links. If they control what you read, they control what you think. It's still laughably primitive now (despite how well Word98's "summarize" feature works), but this is just the start.

When your profile is known to those who control the media long before you reach grade school, your goose is pretty much on the banquet table.

@HES - Your log reminds me of how good Baskin Robbins' logs used to be before the big fire. They're just not the same any more.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:30 pm UTC

Thanks to all the botcastle dwellers on the moon for recording everything and posting it in the thread. It was a very molpish read!

The OTTerCönnchen had an almost 100% temporal interference with my FFS, so I am glad I could at least ketchup on it now.
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

mscha

Time Revisited - np2319

Postby mscha » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:10 pm UTC

LUNGUICAS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:HAT-HAIR, RELEASE THE GHOLPIES!

-- posted by oldpixbot

Sustainabilizer

Re: OTTerCönnchen

Postby Sustainabilizer » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:50 pm UTC

Thank y'all for visiting my OTTerCönnchen!
It was fun. :) And great SCIENCE.

Special thanks
  • to BlitzGirl for her steakish and baobabisch artwork,
  • to balthasar_s for the steakishly edited logs,
  • to benedikt_wi, sus_organizer, and PraktiKante for preparing everything with me.
Last edited by Sustainabilizer on Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:32 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:59 pm UTC

Was this the first time we met PraktiKante?
BSTA
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy

Sustainabilizer

Postby Sustainabilizer » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:08 pm UTC

balthasar_s wrote:Was this the first time we met PraktiKante?

Yes.

mscha

Time Revisited - np2320

Postby mscha » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:10 pm UTC

AVUNGUNGLY...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
(Colorization by NoMouse.)

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:PROTIP: TO DEFEAT THE OTTERCOMIC, CRENELLATE IT UNTIL IT CHEWS BEESNAKES

-- posted by oldpixbot

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:21 pm UTC

balthasar_s wrote:11:34 < balthasar_s> Firefox enables you to set sending referrer information only if it's on the same domain.
11:35 < balthasar_s> Then you only send it to the server thaty knows it anyway.
11:35 < balthasar_s> but you have to enter about: config for that.

This is not true, you can set to send referrer information:
  • never
  • when visiting links
  • when visiting links and loading images
I don't know why I thought it works like I said in IRC.
It would be cool if it did.
BSTA

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”