1191: "The Past"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

jonat

Re: 1191: "The Past"

Postby jonat » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:01 pm UTC

alexsee75 wrote:Bruce Sterling wrote a short story in the 80ies about people travelling to other timelines to obtain resources (among other things - oil). I think he may have been first.
It is called "Mozart in Mirrorshades".

Not first by several decades. This has been an oft-occurring theme in science fiction since at least the 1950s. Isaac Asimov's "The End of Eternity" (1955) explored this theme in detail.

Kit.

Postby Kit. » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:37 pm UTC

plumander wrote:Or a smartphone. That would seriously amaze people from as recent as ten or fifteen years ago.

Not seriously. Palm Pilot is more than 15 years old.

Ken_g6

Postby Ken_g6 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:39 pm UTC

Too bad BHG already used his one-time-use-only time machine to kill Hitler.

Although I still think that wasn't a real time machine. (Or maybe he didn't really use it that time?)

Vorticity

Postby Vorticity » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:13 pm UTC

jonat wrote:
alexsee75 wrote:Bruce Sterling wrote a short story in the 80ies about people travelling to other timelines to obtain resources (among other things - oil). I think he may have been first.
It is called "Mozart in Mirrorshades".

Not first by several decades. This has been an oft-occurring theme in science fiction since at least the 1950s. Isaac Asimov's "The End of Eternity" (1955) explored this theme in detail.

Also: "Project Mastodon" by Clifford Simak (1955).

jonat

Postby jonat » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:37 pm UTC

And going back a bit further, H. Beam Piper's Paratime series (forum won't let me link to Wikipedia's page on it), starting in 1948.

The Paratime series written by H. Beam Piper consists of several short stories, one novella, and one novel; they deal with an advanced civilization that is able to travel between parallel universes with alternate histories, and uses that ability to trade for goods and services their own, exhausted Earth cannot provide. Specifically, the Paratime series deals with the Paratime Police, the organization that protects the secret of paratime travel.

Ayriannah

Postby Ayriannah » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:24 pm UTC

JBridge wrote:
Temporarily9 wrote:Someone wrote something on something similar to that, I think. A battalion of modern US soldiers dumped into the Roman empire. I forget what it was called.

That'd be Rome Sweet Rome. It has its own subreddit, as well as a movie deal. Dunno when it's coming out, though.

There's also a novel called Lest Darkness Fall that's about a modern-day archeologist sent back to 6th century Italy- a single man with nothing but his brain can make a huge difference to history, so long as he knows the right things. (like how to build a printing press...and make brandy...)
P.S. I am not Randall. I am an initiate of Time. All is measured by the passage of the Newpix.

SimonMoon5

Postby SimonMoon5 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:20 pm UTC

RedBrick wrote:Reminds me of an idea I had when I learned one of the "multiple universes" theories that allowed time travel simply bifurcated at the point of arriving in the past - one path (the one you came from) stays the same, the other (the one you arrived in) can be wildly different. Kill your granddad? Go ahead. No problem. Your original universe (and therefore your personal past) remains consistent. Of course, you can't ever get back to your universe, so as far as anyone else is concerned, you just vanished one day.

That led me to think - if instead of _going_ into the past, what if you _took_ something from the past?

First of all, you wouldn't have to worry about being in the "wrong" universe - you never leave yours. But that means that the bifurcation happens at the point you take the item. One path has the item (the path you're in - otherwise you changed your past and things go wobbly), and one path does not (the other one, and who cares about a universe you can't get to?). So instead of stealing from the past, you're stealing from the past in an alternate universe. And since the item you took is _still in your past_, you can take it again. And again. And again.

Suddenly, one tank of fuel and a time-theft device can get you _anywhere_. Add in a well stocked fridge, pantry, air tanks, appropriate fuselage and living quarters, and backup time-theft devices (and something to coordinate it all), and suddenly getting to other planets isn't so hard. Plus you can steal yourself from the past for inexpensive labour. (Ha, originally that was c-h-e-a-p labour, but that made it spammy.)

I can just imagine it - humanity spreading out amongst the stars, the only sign of their passing the trail of chip packets, empty water bottles, carbon dioxide and...bodily waste...hurled out the airlock. Oh, and the spiralling universes full of people wondering where that packet of BBQ crinkle cut chips went, I mean it was _right here_ a second ago.

Of course, you'd have to hope that the alternate universe versions of you aren't just as clever as you. Because if they are, then they have the same idea and all of a sudden, all the stuff from your past starts disappearing. And it's all your fault... sort of.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:00 pm UTC

I re-watched the pilot episode of Sliders this past weekend.

Just as the credits started rolling I said, "Well, that was a show from the 90's". I stand by that analysis.

Did you know that if you travel to an alternate dimension, that crazy things happen, like the green light means stop and red means go? Also, Stalin took over America, and everyone got horrible Russian accents.

Also, Jerry O'connel may or may not have made out with himself off camera.

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:27 pm UTC

Kit. wrote:
plumander wrote:Or a smartphone. That would seriously amaze people from as recent as ten or fifteen years ago.

Not seriously. Palm Pilot is more than 15 years old.
As we move ever closer to the "future" seen in Back to the Future II, I like to think about how lucky it was for Marty that the two things he took back with him by pure blind luck (apart from himself and the DeLorean) both turned out to be useful in 1955 to convince Doc Brown that he was who he was: the camcorder (which Doc recognized as "a portable TV studio" and was able to hook up to his own black-and-white set to watch the tape within it), and the flyer that told how and when the clock tower got hit by lightning.

If you went back thirty years now, what similar item might you take back to prove you were from the far-off future of 2013? Cellphone? Neat little gizmo, but as soon as someone says "that's a phone? show me how you make a call on it" you're stuck because the towers that make it work haven't been built yet.

Envelope Generator

Postby Envelope Generator » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:28 pm UTC

Djehutynakht wrote:Well it is a bit of a reference to 1190. Because now 1190 is in the past (and apparently the present. And perhaps the future).

Both Titles are a reference to Time. That's good enough for me.

...So that's why they build that castle! To protect their huge oil reserves on that beach!

Aha!

I think you may have it figured out—these guys might barge into 1190 in a couple of frames.
I'm going to step off the LEM now... here we are, Pismo Beach and all the clams we can eat

eSOANEM wrote:If Fonzie's on the order of 100 zeptokelvin, I think he has bigger problems than difracting through doors.

zaphodbeebledoc

Postby zaphodbeebledoc » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:29 pm UTC

Zamfir wrote:
Kit. wrote:
bouer wrote:I wonder how much damage an individual with a fully stocked F-35 could do in the 1500's?

[black hat on]
Are there bacteriological weapon loads for F-35?

Is called a "pilot". The f35 is only needed to get to 88 mph.

Remind me to never drink coffee again whilst reading this forum...
bouer wrote:I wonder if we can get XKCD tax-exempt status?

GodRaimundo wrote:A weekapix just makes me hungry.

ijuin

Postby ijuin » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:35 pm UTC

For future tech to take back to 1980-ish as proof that it's actually from the future, you'd probably have to take a full-blown laptop computer. Anybody in 1980 who knew anything at all about what computers of the day could actually do would understand that your thirty-years-future computer was using 100 thousand times the memory/storage space and one thousand times the processing speed of what they had then (using the Apple II/Commodore 64/original IBM PC as a comparison). Of course, go back 20 years more, and your non-technical person wouldn't understand enough about computers to have a basis for comparison.

mattcoz

Postby mattcoz » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:32 pm UTC

You can add Terra Nova to the list that have covered this idea.

jello34543

Postby jello34543 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:53 pm UTC

jackal wrote:Speaking of Wikipedia: I wonder how different the present would be if someone just took a database dump of Wikipedia back in time 20 years.

Tangentally, this touches on something I've thought about from time to time. What if you went back a bit further and told the people designing the library interfaces and protocols used on the internet "Here's how this will be broken/abused/cracked". Or mentioned the fact that ~4 billion IPs isn't really that much in a world with ~7 billion people.

bmonk
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Postby bmonk » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:13 pm UTC

Darkfusion wrote:
bouer wrote:I wonder how much damage an individual with a fully stocked F-35 could do in the 1500's?

Between the absence of runways and lack of fuel....not much.

Besides, the automatic missiles would have little to lock on. I'd think you'd do better with a company or more of (properly supplied) infantry.
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

bmonk
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Postby bmonk » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:21 pm UTC

JBridge wrote:
Temporarily9 wrote:Someone wrote something on something similar to that, I think. A battalion of modern US soldiers dumped into the Roman empire. I forget what it was called.

That'd be Rome Sweet Rome. It has its own subreddit, as well as a movie deal. Dunno when it's coming out, though.

There was also the Janissaries series by Pournelle, with a slightly different premise--that aliens took a military force from the Earth every 300 years to take over a planet and harvest the drugs they wanted. OF course, as the Earth military got more advanced, they tended to knock the survivors out, lest they come back 250 years later to discover a really advanced civilization. But there were Greek hoplites, Roman legions plus Frankish cavalry, Medieval Welsh archers, and a crater or two...
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:56 pm UTC

ijuin wrote:For future tech to take back to 1980-ish as proof that it's actually from the future, you'd probably have to take a full-blown laptop computer. Anybody in 1980 who knew anything at all about what computers of the day could actually do would understand that your thirty-years-future computer was using 100 thousand times the memory/storage space and one thousand times the processing speed of what they had then (using the Apple II/Commodore 64/original IBM PC as a comparison). Of course, go back 20 years more, and your non-technical person wouldn't understand enough about computers to have a basis for comparison.

And now for the tough part of the exercise: come up with a reason for someone to be carrying the laptop when he accidentally sends himself back to 1983. I thought it was pretty clever of them to have 1985 Doc tell Marty to bring the camcorder with him to document the first time-travel experiment.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:40 pm UTC

Tahoe wrote:I'll take a well-stocked blackhawk helicopter, thank you very much.

In the 16th century, I could probably start a very successful religion after arriving in one of those fukkers.

Or Fokkers, if you start off in the 1910s.

Me? I'd take a tank. One that can run on ethanol. Don't need to reload, just do what tanks do to crunchies.

bouer

Postby bouer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:23 am UTC

What would be the ideal time to take over the world? If you go back to 10 000 BCE It wouldn't be worth it; it would take more than your lifetime to bring society to levels worth controlling. If you go back to recently it would be much harder to successfully take over the world. So what is the most technologically advanced stage of human civilization that would still be relatively easy to take over with Belgium's army?

I'm thinking around the 1400's; take over the Americas and Australia before the more powerful countries find them, then use their resources to take over the rest of the world.

Mambrino

Postby Mambrino » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:14 am UTC

Ayriannah wrote:
JBridge wrote:

There's also a novel called Lest Darkness Fall that's about a modern-day archeologist sent back to 6th century Italy- a single man with nothing but his brain can make a huge difference to history, so long as he knows the right things. (like how to build a printing press...and make brandy...)

Or like how to build a Colt revolver. I think A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court by one Mark Twain counts.

addams

Postby addams » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:19 am UTC

bouer wrote:What would be the ideal time to take over the world? If you go back to 10 000 BCE It wouldn't be worth it; it would take more than your lifetime to bring society to levels worth controlling. If you go back to recently it would be much harder to successfully take over the world. So what is the most technologically advanced stage of human civilization that would still be relatively easy to take over with Belgium's army?

I'm thinking around the 1400's; take over the Americas and Australia before the more powerful countries find them, then use their resources to take over the rest of the world.

Now! Right now, would be fine.
Who is taking over The World?

You want it?
You and who?
Your mom?
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:14 am UTC

rmsgrey wrote:1632 by Eric Flint has an entire West Virginian small town magically transported from 2000 to what's currently Central Germany back in 1631, and changing the course of history - partly through their existing supply of 20th century technology, but more through their modern cultural ideas, and their history books (oh, and their scientific/technological knowhow :) )

Oddly enough, I'd just finished the first two books in this series.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

ijuin

Postby ijuin » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:19 am UTC

bouer wrote:What would be the ideal time to take over the world? If you go back to 10 000 BCE It wouldn't be worth it; it would take more than your lifetime to bring society to levels worth controlling. If you go back to recently it would be much harder to successfully take over the world. So what is the most technologically advanced stage of human civilization that would still be relatively easy to take over with Belgium's army?

Another thing to deal with is that if you go to an era before there are any large governments, then you can not simply take over the existing societies, since what you would be conquering is thousands upon thousands of independent tribes and city states rather than mere dozens of large nations--you will have to do full-on nation building and assemble all of the infrastructure yourself, which brings us back to the manpower issue--who's going to administer all of this when the conquered peoples themselves have no sense of cohesion that would make them want to hold an empire together?

de Doctah wrote:And now for the tough part of the exercise: come up with a reason for someone to be carrying the laptop when he accidentally sends himself back to 1983. I thought it was pretty clever of them to have 1985 Doc tell Marty to bring the camcorder with him to document the first time-travel experiment.

People from certain backgrounds (notably including the sort of researches who might be knowingly involved in time travel experiments) are often prone to carry their laptops around in their briefcase/day bag (or whatever you call it). It may be problematic if they have to actually be holding it at the moment of time transport if they have no other reason to be doing so though . . .

squonk

Postby squonk » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:50 am UTC

"Time" has been taken over by poseurs. This is where all the cool people hang out. 8-)

Kit.

Postby Kit. » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:44 am UTC

da Doctah wrote:And now for the tough part of the exercise: come up with a reason for someone to be carrying the laptop when he accidentally sends himself back to 1983.

If I'm with my daypack, my laptop is in, with cables and stuff. As well as a battery charger for my pocket camera (which is, naturally, in my pocket).

However, the cutest gadget in my bag (WL330N3G) won't be appreciated till at least 1990, when they invent 10BASE-T.

zel

Postby zel » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:01 am UTC

I'd rather go pack to Ancient Egypt and get my own hieroglyph.

Rikeus

Postby Rikeus » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:30 am UTC

Instantly reminded me of this.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:42 am UTC

I must remember to stick a copy of the micro-USB specifications on my Kindle - specifically the voltages and pin locations for the power rails - and does anyone know whether the Kindle follows the spec that requires a data connection before drawing power to charge your batteries is allowed?

I figure a self-contained library on e-paper including a complete works of Shakespeare is going to impress anyone who knows Shakespeare's plays (for that matter, it'll still impress anyone who knows how to read) so long as the battery lasts. Arranging a way to recharge it should be possible any time in the 20th Century. Much before that, and little things like securing the right voltage become tricky - saying 5V doesn't help much when no-one knows what a Volt is...

CharlieP

Postby CharlieP » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:51 am UTC

da Doctah wrote: I like to think about how lucky it was for Marty that the two things he took back with him by pure blind luck (apart from himself and the DeLorean) both turned out to be useful in 1955 to convince Doc Brown that he was who he was: the camcorder (which Doc recognized as "a portable TV studio" and was able to hook up to his own black-and-white set to watch the tape within it)

It was also lucky that the NTSC standards remained pretty much unchanged for so long - in the UK, I'm guessing a 405-line black and white set in 1955 wouldn't have had a clue what to do with a 625-line colour signal.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

mybrainhurts

Postby mybrainhurts » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:06 pm UTC

This whole discussion is pointless. Cause there is no such thing "time" out there. Doesn't exist. It's just a product of our brain (it's the base for it to work properly) and an abstract utility of the sciences (a too often forgotten fact).

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:34 pm UTC

mybrainhurts wrote:This whole discussion is pointless. Cause there is no such thing "time" out there. Doesn't exist. It's just a product of our brain (it's the base for it to work properly) and an abstract utility of the sciences (a too often forgotten fact).

Next, you'll be saying I posted this before the post I quoted.

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:49 pm UTC

mybrainhurts wrote:This whole discussion is pointless. Cause there is no such thing "time" out there.

But there is such a thing in here.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

marararam

Postby marararam » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:47 pm UTC

plumander wrote:Anyone else feel like this was a bit of a letdown after "Time"?

What do you mean, after "Time"? Time's still running.

cphite

Postby cphite » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:14 pm UTC

jackal wrote:

Not much more than 10. Beyond that, wifi hotspots and GPRS cellular networks were not all that common; which (along with the extremely small collection of Wikipedia articles in that day) severely hampers the utility of a smartphone.

There is more to a smartphone than wireless.

The resolution and touch-interface on a typical modern smart phone would be unbelievable to someone in 2003. Not to mention the processing power at that size.

Even more impressive would be the storage. I have 30gb of music on my smartphone... if you told someone in 2003 that you could have a device in your pocket that could hold 6000+ songs at CD or better quality, they'd think you insane. That year they were just breaking out with 4gb memory cards, and a lot of hardware at the time couldn't even register that much. Especially something hand-held.

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:40 am UTC

cphite wrote:
jackal wrote:

Not much more than 10. Beyond that, wifi hotspots and GPRS cellular networks were not all that common; which (along with the extremely small collection of Wikipedia articles in that day) severely hampers the utility of a smartphone.

There is more to a smartphone than wireless.

The resolution and touch-interface on a typical modern smart phone would be unbelievable to someone in 2003. Not to mention the processing power at that size.

Even more impressive would be the storage. I have 30gb of music on my smartphone... if you told someone in 2003 that you could have a device in your pocket that could hold 6000+ songs at CD or better quality, they'd think you insane. That year they were just breaking out with 4gb memory cards, and a lot of hardware at the time couldn't even register that much. Especially something hand-held.

I was just going to say something like this, except about taking it back 30+ years, after seeing the idea of bringing your cell phone back got shot down and someone else brought up a laptop.

What would be more impressive to someone from 1980: a device the size of a large-ish book with a 2GHz CPU, 8GB of RAM and a physical keyboard, or something smaller than a deck of playing cards with a 1GHz CPU, 2GB of RAM and a touchscreen interface?

Either way, they'll be blown away by the 3D graphics more than anything, I'd imagine. The idea that something that detailed can be rendered in real-time by a device that is cheap enough for the general public... mind-blowing.

In response to your post, however... the storage wouldn't really "wow" me that much. We had already seen the trends towards smaller, denser, cheaper methods of mass storage, it was only a matter of time, really. One of these days we'll have a "nanoSD card" that is a quarter the size of a microSD card... and we'll have more of those funky adapters to make them work with our existing devices. Oh, and they'll hold a Terabyte. The idea of a touchscreen in the modern sense would have been the kicker for me, 10 years ago, but even then it wouldn't have been that ridiculous. Palm Pilots and styluses were pretty common, and we were only about a year away from the Nintendo DS, so the next logical technological step would be something you can just use your finger for.
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

ijuin

Postby ijuin » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:22 am UTC

macraw83 wrote: One of these days we'll have a "nanoSD card" that is a quarter the size of a microSD card... and we'll have more of those funky adapters to make them work with our existing devices. Oh, and they'll hold a Terabyte.

Increasing storage space is a foregone conclusion, but making the card physically smaller runs into the problem that it would be too small for human fingers to handle comfortably, so you would need an inert "card holder" around it to physically bulk it up to at least half the size of a current microSD card.

CharlieP wrote:It was also lucky that the NTSC standards remained pretty much unchanged for so long - in the UK, I'm guessing a 405-line black and white set in 1955 wouldn't have had a clue what to do with a 625-line colour signal.

Most of the "weird" choices made with the NTSC specification (i.e. the ones that made it less efficient than PAL) were a result of making it reverse-compatible with the existing American black and white standard. Fortunately, today's television sets are capable of converting an NTSC signal into the current ATSC encoding, so when we did the digital transition, we just decided to abandon the old TV sets and use conversion boxes to allow the old sets to view new broadcasts.

rmsgrey wrote:I must remember to stick a copy of the micro-USB specifications on my Kindle - specifically the voltages and pin locations for the power rails - and does anyone know whether the Kindle follows the spec that requires a data connection before drawing power to charge your batteries is allowed?

I figure a self-contained library on e-paper including a complete works of Shakespeare is going to impress anyone who knows Shakespeare's plays (for that matter, it'll still impress anyone who knows how to read) so long as the battery lasts. Arranging a way to recharge it should be possible any time in the 20th Century. Much before that, and little things like securing the right voltage become tricky - saying 5V doesn't help much when no-one knows what a Volt is...

Probably better just to include a solar panel module for recharging it (or even gluing the solar panel to the back of the device). Just leave it in the sunlight for a full day and it will be recharged . . . at least for as long as the hardware remains functional.

Kit.

Postby Kit. » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:06 am UTC

cphite wrote:The resolution and touch-interface on a typical modern smart phone would be unbelievable to someone in 2003.

Nah. iPAQ hx4700 was already in the works.

cphite wrote:Not to mention the processing power at that size.

Crippled by bloatware, so the end result is basically the same.

cphite wrote:Even more impressive would be the storage. I have 30gb of music on my smartphone... if you told someone in 2003 that you could have a device in your pocket that could hold 6000+ songs at CD or better quality, they'd think you insane.

If you really needed so many songs in your pocket device, you could carry several CF cards with you.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:25 pm UTC

ijuin wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:I must remember to stick a copy of the micro-USB specifications on my Kindle - specifically the voltages and pin locations for the power rails - and does anyone know whether the Kindle follows the spec that requires a data connection before drawing power to charge your batteries be allowed?

I figure a self-contained library on e-paper including a complete works of Shakespeare be going to impress anyone who knows Shakespeare's plays (for that matter, it'll still impress anyone who knows how to read) so long as the battery lasts. Arranging a way to recharge it should be possible any time in the 20th Century. Much before that, and little things like securing the right voltage become tricky - saying 5V doesn't help much when no-one knows hwæt a Volt be...

Probably gooder just to include a solar panel module for recharging it (or even gluing the solar panel to the back of the device). Just leave it in the sunlight for a full day and it woll be recharged . . . at least for as long as the hardware remains functional.

Does anyone make kindle-sized solar USB-chargers?

pitareio

Postby pitareio » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:30 pm UTC

Even better, a hand-crank usb charger : http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-574 ... b-charger/ . Probably much more durable than any solar device.

Find a way to fit it to a water or windmill, and voilà!

cphite

Postby cphite » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:00 pm UTC

Kit. wrote:
cphite wrote:The resolution and touch-interface on a typical modern smart phone woll-did be unbelievable to someone in STAR DATE 2245.

Nah. iPAQ hx4700 be-did already in the works.

Not even close to the resolution of a modern smartphone, and the touch wasn't nearly as accurate. Nice try, but no.

cphite wrote:Not to mention the processing power at that size.

Crippled by bloatware, so the end result be basically the same.

I don't know what kind of smartphone you've used recently or what you have installed on it, but the one I am using right now is far faster than the hx4700 or anything else you'd be able to find commercially in 2004. It's not even close. And mine - an LG Lucid - is not exactly cutting edge compared to what is available right now.

cphite wrote:Even more impressive woll-did be the storage. I have 30gb of music on my smartphone... if you told someone in STAR DATE 2245 that you could have a device in your pocket that could hold 6000+ songs at CD or gooder quality, they'd reckon you insane.

If you really needed so many songs in your pocket device, you could carry several CF cards with you.

The point is you wouldn't need to.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”