0197: "Ninja Turtles"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Westacular

Postby Westacular » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:00 pm UTC

In response to the alt text:

Yes. Absolutely.

When I hear the William Tell Overture, I think of the William Tell Overture, and I'm sick of hearing baby boomers (i.e., our parents' generation) endlessly saying that "everyone" thinks of the Lone Ranger. (The anvil chorus, on the other hand, always reminds of Tiny Toons, but not to the point of distraction as many claim regarding the William Tell Overture.)

That said, any North American male between the ages of 18 and 28 will almost certainly experience some degree of confusion if "bebop" or "rocksteady" are referenced as music genres without prior context.

muteKi
Angry is too weak a term. Try "Fluffy".

Postby muteKi » Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:55 am UTC

I JUST come in under that range of ages, but I have no idea what reference "bebop" is exactly -- outside of Charlie Parker. No idea about "rocksteady".

Dashiva

Postby Dashiva » Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:02 am UTC

Charlie Parker played bebop.
Charlie Parker played alto saxophone.
The music sounded like hip-hop.
Never leave your cat alone.

Something like that.
"Don't worry; the Universe IS out to get you."

Arkohn

Postby Arkohn » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:00 pm UTC

No self-respecting nerd can pick anyone but Donatello as their favorite.

For one, he's the most obscure artist, so duh. Then, he's also the nerd of the group, and he also uses a bo staff, which isn't mainstream like the two blade weapons, but it's not retarded like the nunchucks.

Oh, also, Uncle Phil did the voice of The Shredder, my childhood is shattered.

aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby aldimond » Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:26 am UTC

Arkohn wrote:No self-respecting nerd can pick anyone but Donatello as their favorite.

1. I have loads of respect for myself (loads more than I have for you at any rate :P ).

2. I'm generally acknowledged to be a nerd.

3. ???

4. Raphael, bitch!
One of these days my desk is going to collapse in the middle and all its weight will come down on my knee and tear my new fake ACL. It could be tomorrow. This is my concern.

Arkohn

Postby Arkohn » Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:33 am UTC

But Raphael is the uber-jock!

aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby aldimond » Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:06 am UTC

Arkohn wrote:But Raphael is the uber-jock!

Hm. I spent 2 hours playing Ultimate Frisbee today, an hour on my bike, and an hour playing basketball. Maybe I'm more of an über-jock than I'd usually admit to being. On the other hand, I have a "compose" key on my keyboard (which is how I got the ü) and use "woot" as a word in normal conversation.

La vida... es estraña.
One of these days my desk is going to collapse in the middle and all its weight will come down on my knee and tear my new fake ACL. It could be tomorrow. This is my concern.

LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:13 pm UTC

Ultimate Frisbee's that one on the Basketball Court?

If so, yeah. Minus Nerd points there for going on a basketball court. The 'playing frisbee as a sport' is points up, but playing on a basketball court brings it back down again.

EDIT: Basketball, not Basketbaal. (Although that would be kinda fun. "I'm just gonna go hoop some ancient gods" or something..?)
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

Grincement
Should have Boobs (In theory)

Postby Grincement » Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:32 pm UTC

Ultimate frisbee is a beautiful sport... I <3 U.F
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes - Douglas Adams

william
Not a Raptor. Honest.

Postby william » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:57 am UTC

LE4dGOLEM wrote:Ultimate Frisbee's that one on the Basketball Court?

If so, yeah. Minus Nerd points there for going on a basketball court. The 'playing frisbee as a sport' is points up, but playing on a basketball court brings it back down again.

EDIT: Basketball, not Basketbaal. (Although that would be kinda fun. "I'm just gonna go hoop some ancient gods" or something..?)

Basketbaal is what Cliff Simon plays.
SecondTalon wrote:A pile of shit can call itself a delicious pie, but that doesn't make it true.

German Sausage
3 of 5

Postby German Sausage » Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:41 pm UTC

basketbaal of cthulhu...ancient gods and then some.
RPG, excercise and judaism, all rolled into an afternoon of fun.
its a heady mix, kids, so watch out!
<bakemaster> Only German Sausage can prevent forest fires
<felstaff> Hype is like a giant disappointment ray aimed squarely at the finished article.
<watson> Treat me like a criminal, Holmes!
TMT4L

innit

Postby innit » Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:09 am UTC

Hello, wasn't planning on joining this forum but after reading this thread, I felt the need to throw out this random Renaissance trivia. I've always been partial to Raphael myself, and then I read that he actually died from a sex-induced fever on his birthday. Which also happened to be Good Friday.

Irony?

However, I do agree that Michelangelo is probably the second most well-known after da Vinci.

themindtaker

Postby themindtaker » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:43 pm UTC

I agree with the apparent consensus concerning Raphael's popularity compared with Mikey's.

But I must say, anyone who thinks Leo's swords are best must just be easily distracted by shiny things.

In the live-action dramas expecially, but also in most of the cartoons, Leo ought to just use a pair of sticks slightly longer than his fist, for all the good the blades do him. In case you haven't caught on yet, the reason i say this is because of the need for bloodless violence; he can't cut anyone. it sucks. all he does is an occasional parry, then a lot of raps over the head with the hilt.

The same applies for Raph, but he also blocks and uses the sai's prongs to catch opponent arms and the like, so he gets use out of most every attack but stabs or thrusts.

Now, don't get me wrong, the stabbing/cutting weapons work great against any and all robots they encounter (abundant against Krang), but against the Foot and in the live-action films the swords are used at most to trip someone. He might as well just use a pair of nightsticks.

That said, I own one of the original comics which are far less discerning of their audience. In retrospect, it may be a "graphic novel."
In any case, all the turtles had the same color bandanas and there was plenty of blood in the fighting, which made Leo's weapons actually cool.

Taking an approximate average of weapon utility ( I haven't actually generated any quantitative figures), I'm gonna have to give Best Weapon to Donatello, because he can use every part of his weapon in every medium through which the turtles' story is told, and it also doubles as a vaulting pole in many instances.

Why not Mikey? He can't pole vault, and I hit myself and my friends in the crotch too many times as a child to give any award to nunchukking.

That's my two cents, just in case anyone still checks this thread.

dosboot

Postby dosboot » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:54 am UTC

Superb analysis. The remark about bloodless violence could be an xkcd comic unto itself. It happens everywhere: soldiers using guns that shoot "lasers" in superhero cartoons, Xena style tv fights that go parry-parry-kick, the over abundance of battle droids in Star Wars prequels. I'm sure there is more.

mathmannix

Re: 0197: "Ninja Turtles"

Postby mathmannix » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:24 pm UTC

Gelsamel wrote:Also a lot might think Batio when they hear Michelangelo as well.

I had no idea who Batio was, but I wiki'd him and found this:

[Michael Angelo] Batio was voted the "No. 1 Shredder of All Time" by Guitar One Magazine

Coincidence? Hmmm...
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”