1195: "Flowchart"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Is 1195: Flowchart the worst xkcd ever?

Yes, but I guess no one can blame the author after the time and effort spent on Time and Externalities
25%
Yes, it's lame and he shouldn't have posted it at all
10%
No, it's not great but I've seen worse
25%
No, I like it
32%
A flowchart is neither a float nor a shart: discuss.
8%

Total votes: 84

Mikeski

Re: 1195: "Flowchart"

Postby Mikeski » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:11 am UTC

Locoluis wrote:There's a way out of this trap at the iteration #15,532.
Spoiler:
Do your homework and you'll be free.

I just gave you precisely 8 golf claps.

ThirdParty

Postby ThirdParty » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:49 am UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:Someone. Find me an xkcd worse than this. I dare you.

You can't do it, can you? This is the worst one, isn't it?

I actually kind of like it. It's definitely funnier than 1144, and at least competitive with 1184, 1188, and 1171.

WyldStallyns

Postby WyldStallyns » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:35 am UTC

ThirdParty wrote:

I actually kind of like it. It's definitely funnier than 1144, and at least competitive with 1184, 1188, and 1171.

I like 1184, thank you very much, and I like this one too. Simplicity is good. They're not the funniest, but they're definitely not the worst. As for the question about the worst XKCD, unless it goes completely over my head, I like them all. If I don't understand it, some day I will, just like some of the calculus and upper-level comp sci jokes. If I must find one though, I will click the random button until I find one that is 100% unfunny. I might be here for a few hours.

Also, I assume will not be counting the first couple that were just drawings and not really comics.

EDIT: I gave up, but if you hate simplicity, 33 would probably be the worst. Also, 18 is pretty bad, but its one of those "so-bad-its-funny" kinds of things.
"I give the Internet credit for everything good that has happened since 1969." - Bob Metcalfe, inventor of Ethernet.

*Kat*

Postby *Kat* » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:19 am UTC

ThirdParty wrote:

I actually kind of like it. It's definitely funnier than 1144

1144 cracks me up. Probably because I can relate.

I enjoyed this comic too. Maybe its not up to the standards of some of its recent predecessors, but its good for a smile.

pitareio

Postby pitareio » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:46 am UTC

*Kat* wrote:
ThirdParty wrote:

I actually kind of like it. It's definitely funnier than 1144

1144 cracks me up. Probably because I can relate.

I enjoyed this comic too. Maybe its not up to the standards of some of its recent predecessors, but its good for a smile.

I think that's part of the problem : when the author produces excellent stuff, the expectations rises. Not sure this comic would have gotten such hard reactions just two weeks ago.

blowfishhootie

Postby blowfishhootie » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:56 am UTC

ThirdParty wrote:

I think you're confusing you personally not getting a joke with a joke not being funny.

Also, "funny" isn't the only way a comic can be good. The two most epic strips he has produced, "Time" and "Click and Drag," were not great because they were "funny," even if they had some funny elements (well, Click and Drag did anyway).

ThirdParty

Postby ThirdParty » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:28 pm UTC

blowfishhootie wrote:
ThirdParty wrote:I actually kind of like it. It's definitely funnier than 1144, and at least competitive with 1184, 1188, and 1171.
I think you're confusing you personally not getting a joke with a joke not being funny.

Also, "funny" isn't the only way a comic can be good. The two most epic strips he has produced, "Time" and "Click and Drag," were not great because they were "funny," even if they had some funny elements (well, Click and Drag did anyway).
Well yeah, okay, I meant "I found it funnier than ..." (I wouldn't say that I didn't get the jokes I mentioned, but all they produced was groans, whereas 1195 produced an actual chuckle.)

JakeVH

Postby JakeVH » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:47 pm UTC

This topic prompted me to make an account, solely because not one person has referenced comic number 915 (can't seem to link...). This discussion has dissolved into exactly what that comic describes.

mittfh

Postby mittfh » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:36 pm UTC

Bah, humbug, you haters.

I quite liked it. Yes, it's based on an old joke. Yes, it's very simple.

But I can probably imagine you followed the chart at least once, and many will have raised a smile or chuckle, even if only momentary.

That's the point.

It reminds me of the joke whereby you write:

How to keep an idiot occupied...

(PTO)

on both sides of a postcard then hand it to an unsuspecting friend...

Remember: Randall does this because he wants to. He isn't paid bucketloads of money to produce a comic on schedule. He doesn't go mad with copyright protection or advertisements everywhere (not that I'd know, since both my browsers are adblocked to the hilt [with the exception of Project Wonderful, which generally advertises webcomics on other webcomics]).

Due to its simplicity, this particular comic may find its way into spin-off merchandise... at which point Randall will be laughing at your expense :D

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:55 pm UTC

Locoluis wrote:There's a way out of this trap at the iteration #15,532.

Ah, good times! Oh who am I kidding? It was an aweful time as I watched all episodes and even had to wait for the last one to be broadcast/uploaded. :shock:

Another resolution is by time-traveling far into the future until the universe starts a new iteration (or a few more) without this comic.

dan_dassow

Postby dan_dassow » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:57 am UTC

This comic reminds of a Roller Coaster Tycoon park that I created a few years ago. I designed the park so that the visitors could enter, but could not leave. I also made all of the attractions, food and drink free.

seraku

Postby seraku » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:20 am UTC

dan_dassow wrote:This comic reminds of a Roller Coaster Tycoon park that I created a few years ago. I designed the park so that the visitors could enter, but could not leave. I also made all of the attractions, food and drink free.

I guess I was more evil in my parks. While I also often made rides and concessions free, I found the ability to charge for the bathrooms too hard to resist. It was fun as well to use a trainer to change everyone's outfit to a black shirt, making it seem as if some bizarre cult had overrun the park.

My favorite park design, though, permitted people to exit the park, only after they had ridden every ride. The idea was to have each ride exit lead into the entrance to another ride. I did make sure to have food and facilities between rides, as to not be too cruel. The funniest thing was watching people, who had spent the whole time complaining about wanting to leave, finally get off the final ride and accidentally walk through the initial one-way sign and have to start over again. I mean, the exit was right there.

J Thomas
Everyone's a jerk. You. Me. This Jerk.^

Postby J Thomas » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:23 pm UTC

JakeVH wrote:This topic prompted me to make an account, solely because not one person has referenced comic number 915 (can't seem to link...). This discussion has dissolved into exactly what that comic describes.

Here you go.
http://xkcd.com/915/

Somebody else posted this one within the last week about another topic. Maybe we're getting to be that way generally.
The Law of Fives is true. I see it everywhere I look for it.

dp2

Postby dp2 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:48 pm UTC

ctdonath wrote:
dp2 wrote:http://xkcd.com/9/
A historical artifact, showing Randall working out how minimalist he wanted to go. Takes a while to pulling off bare stick figures as an effective array of characters.

You didn't make any qualifications in your original question. So you're saying I can't call some worse because they're too old?
http://xkcd.com/14/
Sanity check for us 'net addicts. Was just going over something similar with my father yesterday: "if you shut off all the media telling you how bad things are, are things really that bad?"

Explaining it doesn't make it good.
http://xkcd.com/38/
I am that father.

Some here. That, in fact, makes it even less funny.
http://xkcd.com/46/
Impressive expression of sadness.

Impressive? It's like a "Love Is...." comic for sad people.
So...where's the examples of bad?

I gave four. I suspect you'll work out some defense of any example I post, so never mind.

JakeVH

Postby JakeVH » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:34 am UTC

I suspect you two (dp2 and ctdonath) might have different definitions of "bad". Might want to clarify what you both mean. (Not trying to butt in or anything, just don't want a screaming match :/)

dp2

Postby dp2 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:38 am UTC

JakeVH wrote:I suspect you two (dp2 and ctdonath) might have different definitions of "bad". Might want to clarify what you both mean. (Not trying to butt in or anything, just don't want a screaming match :/)

No doubt. I at least found the simple "yes" response to the frantic realization of a trap to be very amusing. It's an old joke, sure, but it's all in the delivery. That alone made this comic more enjoyable...to me...than literally dozens of others.

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:35 pm UTC

It made me laugh. That is all. :)
-Adam

Klear

Postby Klear » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:55 pm UTC

This isn't worst xkcd ever... 1196 is definitely worse (though the Springfield monorail made me chuckle)

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:08 am UTC

Um, so I only just noticed that this one exists at all. I've been kinda distracted by Time.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

irateidiot

Postby irateidiot » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:03 am UTC

pitareio wrote:879 was... questionable. (And questioned.)

I don't have a problem with this one. Everyone needed a break after Time and Externalities.

879 was classic; the timing and expression were perfect.

irateidiot

Postby irateidiot » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:06 am UTC

I like the irony of the decision box and the understated malice of the 'yes'. Not so sold on the self-referential bootstrapping alt text.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”