1197: "All Adobe Updates"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Prosperus

Re: 1197: "All Adobe Updates"

Postby Prosperus » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:10 pm UTC

By coincidence, one of my favorite satirical news websites "De Speld" just published an article on Adobe Updates as well. It is in Dutch so I 'took the time' to google-translate it and correct the worst translation errors. Enjoy!

Adobe: A day without updates is a day wasted

BY RICHARD VAN DER TOREN AND ALEXANDER BRANDENBURG • SUNDAY APRIL 7 2013, 11:31

The Adobe update: for many a natural, almost unnoticed daily ritual between breakfast and coffee. Just as electricity and a hygienic toilet system there is a danger that modern man takes the many benefits for granted. Five reasons why you should not ignore the Adobe update.

1) The Adobe update is essential in the fight against overpopulation
Millions of women in Europe use the Adobe update as a daily reminder to take a pill. Why take an unacceptable risk with a half empty pill strip if there is a timing device that is more consistent than the Gregorian calendar? Adobe is contraception. Aren’t you?

2) The Adobe update keeps you and your family out of trouble
Adobe keeps it safe. History teaches us that almost all major world wars took place before the first update of Adobe. Only in the era of the Adobe update some stabilization was achieved. Moreover, a growing group of dietitians claims that the Adobe update had a major worldwide political and financial calming effect, and dieticians don’t just say anything.

3) The Adobe update is important for sick children in Africa
This is Kwame Mpufu. Kwame is eight years old and suffers from a rare disorder Persistent Dextrocardiac Fucosidosis. PDF can be cured with a major operation, which can only be performed in the United States. Unfortunately, the treatment costs more than $ 130,000. The parents of Kwame started an action in collaboration with Adobe. Did you know that for each update you execute Adobe donates two cents to the battle against PDF? Let your heart speak and update every day. Thank you, also on behalf of Kwame.

[PICTURE OF RANDOM AFRICAN CHILD]

4) The Adobe update keeps ancient thinkers alive
Parmenides: until the time of Socrates a very important philosopher in the pre-Socratic doctrine that always managed to captivate people with interesting slogans like: "All change is only apparent," and "I am more an ass man”. In today's society where securities are scarce, the updates from Adobe feel as a warm bath, because they never change anything essential. So get your daily reminder of Parmenides' doctrine. Ex nihilo nihil fit, that is what you will think at the next update.

5) Skip the Adobe update? That is how it started in Germany!
Adolf Hitler, that was somebody who never kept Adobe decently up to date. Ai, at the very last moment we have a Godwin reference after all.

In summary,
To read the conclusion to this article you have to update Adobe Updater. Update now?
Yes – No—Remind me later – Restart computer?

Just for the sake of clarity: I am not the author of this stuff. This is written by the people from De Speld[dot]nl
I would have pasted a link to the article itself but then my post gets flagged as spam.

endolith

Postby endolith » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:30 pm UTC

Rombobjörn wrote:I am so happy that all of the operating systems I use have a central package manager that handles all updates for the entire system, and lets me install the updates when it's convenient for me.

And then you play Tux Racer all day because the computer isn't capable of running any software that's actually useful?

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:35 pm UTC

Vroomfundel wrote:My pet peeve is the Adobe Reader update - it's a bloody PDF reader, why does it need updating so often?

And then every single time you do update it, it puts back the desktop shortcut that you deleted for a damn reason — the desktop isn't the bloody iOS home screen! I recently started using Kubuntu, which doesn't even treat the desktop as a folder you can actually put files in at all, and I feel like I've been cleansed.

BAReFOOt wrote:A message to all Windows shops:

Get a damn package manager!

Other operating systems had them for more than a decade! Get with the times!

I think that would entail completely rewriting the way program installation works, which would break backward compatibility. They tend to want to avoid that.

Windows could sure as hell do with a centralized third-party update center, though. It would work the same way Windows Update already works for things like drivers, except it would go through a custom URL that's placed in the registry during installation. OS X could stand to have such a feature too, but given that they're trying to push people toward using the App Store for everything, they're probably avoiding it on purpose.
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

Yu_p

Postby Yu_p » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:40 pm UTC

=== Updates ===

The worst I know are Java Runtime Environment updates. I mean honestly, they try to make me install that "Ask-Toolbar" every time there is an update!

=== Clean Install ===

BAReFOOt wrote:It only takes three hours, with all the bells and whistles, including custom registry imports and changes and of course all your drivers and software. I know because I used to do it for all my friends. (Nowadays I only give support for Linux and similar ones [excluding Ubuntu and of course OS X].)

Ideally yes.

In practice I found that getting functions such as proprietary fan-control software and battery-care functions (that prevent your battery from dropping to ~50% capacity or less within half a year) is not necessarily nearly as easy as "installing the drivers". There may be all kinds of rules about the order of installing, hidden in the descriptions of ~30-50 drivers and related software packages and even after following them, I had plenty of issues to resolve, some of which I found no solution for other than factory reset.

endolith

Postby endolith » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:41 pm UTC

Steve the Pocket wrote:Windows could sure as hell do with a centralized third-party update center, though.

I think Avast antivirus is trying to do this. There's a centralized location to update all your java/flash/browsers and stuff for security reasons.

Rombobjörn

Postby Rombobjörn » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:57 pm UTC

endolith wrote:
Rombobjörn wrote:I am so happy that all of the operating systems I use have a central package manager that handles all updates for the entire system, and lets me install the updates when it's convenient for me.

And then you play Tux Racer all day because the computer isn't capable of running any software that's actually useful?

No.

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:23 pm UTC

Steve the Pocket wrote:
BAReFOOt wrote:A message to all Windows shops:

Get a damn package manager!

Other operating systems had them for more than a decade! Get with the times!

I think that would entail completely rewriting the way program installation works, which would break backward compatibility. They tend to want to avoid that.

Windows could sure as hell do with a centralized third-party update center, though. It would work the same way Windows Update already works for things like drivers, except it would go through a custom URL that's placed in the registry during installation. OS X could stand to have such a feature too, but given that they're trying to push people toward using the App Store for everything, they're probably avoiding it on purpose.

Aren't all installations just: copy files to harddrive and for windows add keys to registry? It should not matter whether you use one installation program or the other and having a repository does not keep other installation methods from running (at least, not necessarily, in this case they should be allowed for legacy software).

Schema

Postby Schema » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:41 pm UTC

Very timely. I just got this message on my new Windows 7 box at work. I think this calls for a new drinking game.

Isil`Zha

Postby Isil`Zha » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:45 pm UTC

This is a screenshot I took from a few years ago, it is not photoshopped:

popman

Re: "All Adobe Updates"

Postby popman » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:50 pm UTC

nit_picker wrote:The best satire is indistinguishable from reality. In this case, they're literally one and the same.
(On a more serious note, does Adobe realize how counter-productive this is to security? I've disabled Adobe Updater precisely because of how annoying it is, security be damned. It's akin to overzealous password policies that backfire by causing users to write down their passwords.)

Unless you are in a business where people can get to your computer, it's not that insecure to write down your password. (Besides making it easier for technically-inept people to get past security)

I'm surprised nobody has put considerable effort into developing alternatives for these kinds of things. I'm sure google or some company with that scale could pour a few hundred grand into GNASH, instead of carrying on with their activeX compatible system.
www.crashie8.com

tom66

Postby tom66 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:24 pm UTC

Google are supporting alternatives, like HTML 5 and SVG, which can be used to emulate the function of Flash in most instances. Trouble is, cross-browser compatibility and there's no easy-to-use IDE yet for those who need to use such software.

TravDogg

Postby TravDogg » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:57 pm UTC

I especially hate how they try to sneak McAfee into the download, just in case you want something else with annoying updates.

feldgendler

Postby feldgendler » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:30 pm UTC

From the all so typical “not available for your platform”, I can infer that Randall probably uses Linux or something even less popular.

mittfh

Postby mittfh » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:18 pm UTC

Graham Cluely @ Sophos Anti-Virus has spotted this one...

Adobe Updates are no laughing matter, but at least XKCD makes them funny | Naked Security

Still, all operating systems can cause madness with updates. I'm running Arch Linux, and a few days ago there was an update for pacman. Which required me to first of all uninstall yaourt-gui, yaourt, package-update and pacman-color; update pacman, then reinstall package-update, yaourt and yaourt-gui (they've finally got around to compiling colour support in pacman by default). At least Arch doesn't badger you for updates - it's entirely up to you if / when you run pacman, yaourt or yaourt-gui to get updates (not distro upgrades, as Arch is a rolling release).

speising

Postby speising » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:44 pm UTC

what really grinds my gears: software that installs, without asking or good reason, a freaking windows service, to check for updates.

google, eg.; and they don't use he same service for different programs, no, they install an extra service instance for each of them.

nit_picker

Postby nit_picker » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:47 pm UTC

mittfh wrote:it's entirely up to you if / when you run pacman, yaourt or yaourt-gui to get updates (not distro upgrades, as Arch is a rolling release).

Practically speaking, only up to a point. Let a few months elapse between package updates, and I guarantee your system will be irreparably broken unless you wade through dozens of "Manual Intervention Required" posts on the Arch site, at which point it's probably easier to just fresh install.

jpvlsmv

Postby jpvlsmv » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:44 pm UTC

feldgendler wrote:From the all so typical “not available for your platform”, I can infer that Randall probably uses Linux or something even less popular.

Having recently tried to install an update on an "Enterprise" Oracle product (not Java, not the DB, but part of their Middleware Shuite), it does not have to be Linux. In my case, the updater update hadn't been released for Windows-x86. It was available for Windows-Itanium, Windows-X64, Linux (x86 and x64), and a variety of Unix platforms.

A few days later, a new "patch" came out that (almost*) superceded the previous updater update that supported Win-x86 (but not the other platforms). Which makes things interesting for our central patch repository, because one patch or the other fails (loudly) to install on every platform.

--Joe
* Component X, patch 1234567 requires updater patch 23456, the one that's not available. updater patch 22499 is the equivalent for W32 (note that the number is lower, which is another issue). But component X's patch manifest doesn't know that, so you have to install component X's patch 1284574 not 1234567, but only on W32. 1284574 doesn't apply to the other platforms.

sdibolcrif

Postby sdibolcrif » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:00 pm UTC

nitio wrote:It may have been a coincidence (right.) but no love for Rush around here on the alt text? :)

Heh yeah I caught that too, not 100% sure it was intentional, but neat either way :D

nix78

Postby nix78 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:11 pm UTC

I find this somewhat unsettling:
updateupdate.jpg

(it's in Hungarian, but I guess you get the point: it wants to update itself (among CS6) on the same day as the comic came out.)

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:12 pm UTC

speising wrote:what really grinds my gears: software that installs, without asking or good reason, a freaking windows service, to check for updates.

Then you should love the Flash Player. Adobe actually stopped doing that with Flash. Instead, of course, they install a scheduled task to run every hour day and night, and give it a ridiculously long name like "Hourly Update Check to See if Adobe Flash Player Needs a New Version Downloaded and Installed in the Sixty Minutes Since We Last Bothered to Think About Checking" so that your scheduled task log overflows and wraps around in about a day and a half instead of every six months or so.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

WyldStallyns

Postby WyldStallyns » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:29 pm UTC

The JRE updater is so annoying. Every week they seem to find the need to update something, and when they do, whenever I turn on my computer a window pops up asking for administrator permission. (Win 7) Whether I click yes or no, that little bubble pops up asking me to update. If I close that bubble, another one opens. Then when you eventually give in, it tries downloading a heap of things, including a free trial for an anti-virus program that I have the full version of installed. Not to mention that I've heard about some security flaws in some of the latest Java updates.[citation needed]

Adobe is pretty annoying too, especially since it wont even let me update it at my school due to the firewall, so it pops up every single time I log in and there's nothing I can do about it.
"I give the Internet credit for everything good that has happened since 1969." - Bob Metcalfe, inventor of Ethernet.

WanderingLinguist

Postby WanderingLinguist » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:02 pm UTC

Game_boy wrote:
Vroomfundel wrote:My pet peeve is the Adobe Reader update - it's a bloody PDF reader, why does it need updating so often? It's not like the PDF format changes so much or that it's a major security threat

Actually, it IS a major security threat, because it has so many executable and internet-enabled features that no one uses but can be enabled by malware.

Well, the underlying technology is PostScript, which is a Turing-complete programming language. And it is used by everyone: even if you just have a PDF with the text "Hello, world!" on it, it's in PostScript. Not to mention that rendering a PDF also usually requires dealing with embedded fonts and images as well. Rendering a PDF is a fairly complex process and there are lots of places where vulnerabilities could be discovered years later. Not that I'm trying to defend Adobe, just pointing out that *any* PDF reader is going to potentially need updates. (I mean, didn't the main Window's JPEG codec have some major security vulnerability a number of years ago? And JPEG is way simpler than PDF simply on account of... PDF files can have JPEG images embedded in them).

(edit: I fail at spelling)

keithl

Postby keithl » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:37 am UTC

Adobe updates? I use mud mixed with a little straw, trowel it over the surface on a hot day to bake in the sun.

I'm told this works on house walls almost as well as it does on computer screens with annoying popups that you never ever want to see again.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:08 am UTC

There is indeed little reason to use Acrobat Reader given the availability of such fine alternatives as Foxit Reader and PDF-XChange. Foxit even lets you throw in annotations, with Reader won't let you do, if I'm not mistaken.

Too bad no open-source Flash alternative (like Gnash or Lightspark) ever took off.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:12 am UTC

mojacardave wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:Oh man, this is ironic timing:

Not really - since Adobe updates pop up almost daily, it barely even qualifies as a coincidence.

Not for me actually. I've had computers that constantly nagged to update Adobe everything -- mostly work computers, and mostly Windows machines, come to think of it -- but not my home computer. I don't know why. Maybe because I never use Adobe's own shitty PDF reader since Preview is so much better (even with the stupidness added in 10.7).
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:42 am UTC

The one that really annoys me is when the updater lies to you: "New Java update available. Click here to install." followed by "You already have the latest version of Java"...

billyswong

Postby billyswong » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:29 am UTC

The most crazy thing of java update is: it asks my mum and dad permission just for checking if there are updates! Ask me only when there are really an update available please :x

seraku

Postby seraku » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:09 am UTC

rmsgrey wrote:The one that really annoys me is when the updater lies to you: "New Java update available. Click here to install." followed by "You already have the latest version of Java"...

I am fairly certain this is due to Java maintaining both an x86 and x64 build. The auto-updater gets triggered when there is an update to either version, but it can only update one flavor. The result is it thinks you are up-to-date. I have only found advice online that says to manually update both x86 and x64 Java when this happens, which, of course, takes valuable time and defeats the purpose of having an auto-updater.

If it were not for Minecraft and a handy little geometry program, C.a.R. (aka Z.u.L.), I would never install Java on any machine ever again.

SCSimmons

Postby SCSimmons » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:22 pm UTC

niky wrote:First thing I turn off when buying a new computer... Java and Adobe Download Management.

Then I spend the next few weeks fighting with websites I can't view... whoops.

A website I use regularly, belonging to one of my employer's vendors, stopped working for me on my personal PC when I upgraded to the latest version of Java. So I rolled it back & am keeping it at the last stable release of the previous version. I have never been nagged by a computer this much in my life, now--besides the java updater popup sequence every time I log on, Chrome bitches at me every single time I open a web page that uses Java. "You're not using the latest version of Java: are you sure you want to run this plugin? It could be dangerous!" Yes, Chrome, I'm sure, just like I was the last fifty times you asked. Thanks for your concern, though!

On Tuesday, I got me a new tablet PC running Android Jellybean. Sweet little piece of machinery from Asus, everything's running along swimmingly, until I tried to open a Flash site. "What do you mean my device doesn't support Flash? *#@*&$*(@!" (One half hour later.) "Ha! Doesn't support Flash my hairy white ... wait, did I just hack my new tablet so I could install Flash Player? I wonder if there's a medication for whatever the hell is wrong with me?"

niky

Postby niky » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:31 pm UTC

MadH wrote:I require at least 4 programs of the adobe suite for my job. So not installing them is not an option for me. And I am certainly never going back to Quark or CorelDRAW or any of those clunky programs. See, the easy fix for the adobe download manager is to simply...turn it off. If your programs work fine, just turn it off. If they ever bug out, go in and check for an update. It's the first thing I do after installing my required computer programs on a fresh install. Haven't been bugged by it since.

Exploits...well, I haven't gotten a detectable piece of malware in 4 years. It helps if you don't just click willy-nilly on the first site listed after searching for something considered "questionable".

You take that back... CorelDRAW is the bomb. :x :mrgreen:

I find "Photoshopping" much easier in CorelPaint. Once done there, I export everything to Photoshop to do the post-processing.

BAReFOOt wrote:
niky wrote:
Mirkwood wrote:
niky wrote:First thing I turn off when buying a new computer... Java and Adobe Download Management.

Instead of turning them off, why don't you avoid installing them in the first place :p

Two words: bundled software.

I’m sorry, what? You use the pre-installed “OS” (for varying definitions of “OS”) as-is?
Without installing your own clean OS and software?

Then I must declare you clinically insane. Sorry. That’s just how it is.

It only takes three hours, with all the bells and whistles, including custom registry imports and changes and of course all your drivers and software. I know because I used to do it for all my friends. (Nowadays I only give support for Linux and similar ones [excluding Ubuntu and of course OS X].)

Three hours not watching porn or gangnam videos on youtube? Don't think I could survive that.

MS Windows isn't so bad after you've turned off everything you don't want, uninstalled Explorer and MSOffice (and neutered WMP), and replaced them with stuff you actually need that doesn't require hourly updates that restart your computer every single time.

Until I can buy the full Corel Suite and Photoshop for anything but Windows, I'm stuck using what I know.

anian

Postby anian » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:37 pm UTC

One of the weirdest things abote Adobe products is that you can't actually download the update. You download an updater, which then has to connect to the internet to download the update. Which sucks for systems that aren't connected online since you can't even update them via a thumbdrive or anything (which is what I was trying to do when I discovered this, damn broken wireless card).

If it wasn't for needing Adobe Flash, and needing it to be fixed against the numerous security flaws that are always being dicovered in it, I would have dumped the Adobe update ride long ago.

MadH

Postby MadH » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:12 pm UTC

niky wrote:
MadH wrote:I require at least 4 programs of the adobe suite for my job. So not installing them is not an option for me. And I am certainly never going back to Quark or CorelDRAW or any of those clunky programs. See, the easy fix for the adobe download manager is to simply...turn it off. If your programs work fine, just turn it off. If they ever bug out, go in and check for an update. It's the first thing I do after installing my required computer programs on a fresh install. Haven't been bugged by it since.

Exploits...well, I haven't gotten a detectable piece of malware in 4 years. It helps if you don't just click willy-nilly on the first site listed after searching for something considered "questionable".

I find "Photoshopping" much easier in CorelPaint. Once done there, I export everything to Photoshop to do the post-processing.

If you're referring to cutting out backgrounds (which is the only "photoshopping" I can imagine you doing in a vector editor), I can say quite plainly that you're doing it wrong. And also, that Photoshop has the exact same tools you'd be using already, so I don't know why you'd bother switching programs to do it. Photoshop's other selection tools can invariably do it better as well - using a vector tool for photograph editing is like using a chainsaw to cut someone's hair.

Also, CorelDRAW files don't play nice importing into other vector programs (or it didn't, last time I knew for sure I was dealing with a corel file), so it all around makes me frown. Quark had the same issue. It's also why I use PCs, not Mac. Proprietary such and such and general incompatibility between platforms when I know it could "just work" bothers the hell out of me.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:20 am UTC

anian wrote:One of the weirdest things abote Adobe products is that you can't actually download the update. You download an updater, which then has to connect to the internet to download the update. Which sucks for systems that aren't connected online since you can't even update them via a thumbdrive or anything (which is what I was trying to do when I discovered this, damn broken wireless card).
At least you're not obliged to download a downloader that will spend a few minutes "reconstituting" itself afterwards. Right?
http://trixter.oldskool.org/2007/08/19/ ... opsystems/

Imposter

Postby Imposter » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:09 pm UTC

anian wrote:One of the weirdest things abote Adobe products is that you can't actually download the update. You download an updater, which then has to connect to the internet to download the update. Which sucks for systems that aren't connected online since you can't even update them via a thumbdrive or anything (which is what I was trying to do when I discovered this, damn broken wireless card).

If it wasn't for needing Adobe Flash, and needing it to be fixed against the numerous security flaws that are always being dicovered in it, I would have dumped the Adobe update ride long ago.

You can download the update. Google "ftp adobe msi" and you should be able to find the ftp site. Just make sure that you use the reader directory not the acrobatreader directory! Whenever reader asks me to update I say no and visit the ftp site instead. There are .msi files in the major version directories and .msp files in the misc directory for point releases.

IIRC this avoids all of the requests to install toolbars and security scans as well. As of Reader XI adobe offers automatic background updates, much like google provides with Chrome, etc.

Pingouin7

Postby Pingouin7 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:45 pm UTC

Game_boy wrote:I now use Chrome PDF reader because it ONLY READS PDFs and doesn't try to be a complete software platform.

Good idea; I had kept Adobe Reader installed because Windows 8 PDF reader only runs in full screen.
This should allow me to free up ~300MB of space on my hard drive.
Dason wrote:
Kewangji wrote:I confess I am actually scared of peanuts, and tend to avoid them, given how lethal they are to some people.

I'm not. I do my part in the fight against peanuts by destroying them with my powerful teeth. Take that peanut! How does being digested feel!?

arthurd006_5

Postby arthurd006_5 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:09 am UTC

shiling wrote:Too bad I can't do anything about the Flash Player updates... :(

Elmedia player, but it doesn't do tabbed browsing.

niky

Postby niky » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:52 am UTC

MadH wrote:
niky wrote:

If you're referring to cutting out backgrounds (which is the only "photoshopping" I can imagine you doing in a vector editor), I can say quite plainly that you're doing it wrong. And also, that Photoshop has the exact same tools you'd be using already, so I don't know why you'd bother switching programs to do it. Photoshop's other selection tools can invariably do it better as well - using a vector tool for photograph editing is like using a chainsaw to cut someone's hair.

Also, CorelDRAW files don't play nice importing into other vector programs (or it didn't, last time I knew for sure I was dealing with a corel file), so it all around makes me frown. Quark had the same issue. It's also why I use PCs, not Mac. Proprietary such and such and general incompatibility between platforms when I know it could "just work" bothers the hell out of me.

CorelDRAW isn't merely a vector editing program. It has a vector component and a submodule, CorelPAINT (as well as CorelTRACE) that does bitmaps. I find it easier to compose masks in vector (so sue me), as I can make them more accurately. And I like the way Corel does the clone brush better than Photoshop. And it's easier to handle layers as objects, too. I realize that PAINT and Photoshop are 99% identical in terms of functionality, but I'm more used to one than the other.

Probably comes with having grown up with Corel, since it's the program I've been using since they cancelled GEM way back on 40386' or thereabouts. To be honest, Corel is sometimes a pain in the butt, back around 10-11, the vector handlers got buggy, but the current Corel is pretty good. Use it for everything from logo design to graphics to print layouts for magazines. The one big issue is the color handling... the printers complain, too... but many presses and layout artists around here still use Corel over Adobe.

Sakutarou

Postby Sakutarou » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:46 pm UTC

If I can have windows update run in the background about five minutes after the computer boots up and install everything without needing me to hold its hand, why can't I do the same with any Adobe software?

Seriously, it's not so important that it has to be the first message I see, right? Right?
When you don't know, the answer is a witch did it. With magic.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:24 am UTC

Well, Google Chrome updates silently and I've never been at all fond of that. It is one of the reasons I stay away from that application altogether.

On the other hand, a browser does a lot more things than a PDF reader or Flash are ideally supposed to do.

drummerpatch

Postby drummerpatch » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:28 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:Well, Google Chrome updates silently and I've never been at all fond of that. It is one of the reasons I stay away from that application altogether.

I honestly don't see what's so bad about silent updates. Enlighten me?

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”