1198: "Geologist"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

thesingingaccountant

1198: "Geologist"

Postby thesingingaccountant » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:19 am UTC

http://xkcd.com/1198/

Title-text: "'It seems like it's still alive, Professor.' 'Yeah, a big one like this can keep running around for a few billion years after you remove the head.'"

I should've paid more attention in eighth grade geology. I had no idea career geologists get to hunt and mount whole planets!
Last edited by thesingingaccountant on Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:34 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.
Never trust a psychic who has to reschedule.

Quicksilver

Re: 1198: "Geologist"

Postby Quicksilver » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:21 am UTC

Just a generic rock? Why not something of value or difficulty to obtain? That's what framing game is all about.

rhomboidal

Postby rhomboidal » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:21 am UTC

I'd also like a job where I have a daily equal need of a pistol and a pickax.

JohnTheWysard

Postby JohnTheWysard » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:48 am UTC

He's just trying to get a head in his profession.

AUS

Postby AUS » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:49 am UTC

Quicksilver wrote:Just a generic rock? Why not something of value or difficulty to obtain? That's what framing game is all about.

It's not a generic rock, it's the earth's head.

Velo Steve

Postby Velo Steve » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:54 am UTC

Thanks for the thoughts so far. I've never felt quite so clueless about an XKCD comic before.

Freiberg

Postby Freiberg » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:01 am UTC

Is this the same guy who hunts tornadoes, from 640?

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:13 am UTC

But can he produce the (long form) birth certificate?
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

koogco

Postby koogco » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:16 am UTC

I love these somewhat nonsense ones the most.

ShadedKnight

Postby ShadedKnight » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:23 am UTC

rhomboidal wrote:I'd also like a job where I have a daily equal need of a pistol and a pickax.

Well, murderer might be a likely candidate for that position, although that's probably more personal preference than need.

I love comics like this one, just sort of a wierd train of thought made into a comic.

Himself

Postby Himself » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:28 am UTC

Freiberg wrote:Is this the same guy who hunts tornadoes, from 640?

No, it's his brother.
"Looking me am a civilization person"
-Ratio Tile

B-Fisch

Postby B-Fisch » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:50 am UTC

I'm enjoying Randall's sudden interest in my field of study. Just remember, kids: "Field work is inherently dangerous. Safety is our number one concern." I know this better than most.

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:33 am UTC

Wotta jerk! Just eight days before its birthday too!

toadpipe

Postby toadpipe » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:05 am UTC

So,after near two years without one insightful, witty, or even accurate comic, a comparison of 19th century safari mentality to rocky hunting is supposed to make us what? Rationalize that rocks have souls or something? Really there is nothing here. Hasn't been for a while.

descor

Postby descor » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:31 am UTC

Two Geology comics in just over a week - I feel honoured!
Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Keeper of the chickens and Master of the Hutch.

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

drachefly

Postby drachefly » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:48 am UTC

SO, for those of you who are feeling lost, I'm surprised no one's explained yet - sometimes, geologists set up listening equipment along the ground, then shoot the earth with a gun to create a time-localized sound wave. It is the ping in underground sonar.

The joke relies on your already being aware of the original purpose for shooting the ground, which many of you apparently didn't. And if you're coming to xkcd, you should expect the humor to sometimes go over your head. Happens to me too. But since I know to expect it, I don't rant when it happens:

toadpipe wrote:So,after near two years without one insightful, witty, or even accurate comic, a comparison of 19th century safari mentality to rocky hunting is supposed to make us what? Rationalize that rocks have souls or something? Really there is nothing here. Hasn't been for a while.

After 44 posts, without one insightful, witty, or even accurate thing to say*, this flat statement that you don't like it is supposed to do what? Get us to turn around and decide that we'll overwrite our preferences with yours?

*have not checked the previous 44 posts, must as I hope toadpipe hasn't if (presumably) he dislikes them so much. If he has seen them all, the people who forced him to do that must be evil evil people.

wandelbrod

Postby wandelbrod » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:26 am UTC

I think that the real question is: Will success spoil Rock Hunter?

WyldStallyns

Postby WyldStallyns » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:56 am UTC

toadpipe wrote:So,after near two years without one insightful, witty, or even accurate comic, a comparison of 19th century safari mentality to rocky hunting is supposed to make us what? Rationalize that rocks have souls or something? Really there is nothing here. Hasn't been for a while.

I thought 1187 was insightful, witty, and I wish it were accurate (legal issues and such prevent this, unfortunately). Maybe you should just leave if you don't like the comic.
"I give the Internet credit for everything good that has happened since 1969." - Bob Metcalfe, inventor of Ethernet.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:16 pm UTC

+1 to Randall for using "BCE" for date of birth.

PS Frankly I'm thrilled that the comments thread has gone this long w/out arguments about creation date (or vi vs emacs)
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

pkcommando

Postby pkcommando » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:20 pm UTC

da Doctah wrote:Wotta jerk! Just eight days before its birthday too!

And only 1 day away from retirement.

StClair

Postby StClair » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:24 pm UTC

Pfft. Gonna need something a LOT bigger than that.
(I believe Randall's already done the math for the energy required, in a couple of his what-ifs.)

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:36 pm UTC

pkcommando wrote:
da Doctah wrote:Wotta jerk! Just eight days before its birthday too!

And only 1 day away from retirement.

We should have put it in a 8-days-before-its-birthday-and-one-day-before-retirement safe-room.

Barstro

Postby Barstro » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:09 pm UTC

drachefly wrote:SO, for those of you who are feeling lost, I'm surprised no one's explained yet - sometimes, geologists set up listening equipment along the ground, then shoot the earth with a gun to create a time-localized sound wave. It is the ping in underground sonar.

Thanks for the explanation. Makes the comic even better.

Now I feel a little sad for the other geologists who shot the earth, only to have it get away.

pkcommando

Postby pkcommando » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:24 pm UTC

Barstro wrote:
drachefly wrote:SO, for those of you who are feeling lost, I'm surprised no one's explained yet - sometimes, geologists set up listening equipment along the ground, then shoot the earth with a gun to create a time-localized sound wave. It is the ping in underground sonar.

Now I feel a little sad for the other geologists who shot the earth, only to have it get away.

Since all they did was wound it, they only made the Earth more dangerous. :shock:

cantab314

Postby cantab314 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:25 pm UTC

I've heard of dropping weights on the ground, using dynamite, and the Soviets even did some seismic with nukes, but not that it can be done with a gun. Does it actually work? I can't see the impact being big enough myself.

NiteClerk

Postby NiteClerk » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:49 pm UTC

This really bugs me. I'm the one who shot the earth. A couple of years ago I was angry because it would let my tomatoes grow. Now some scavenger else comes along and mounts the head on their wall. I didn't bother to claim the trophy because it was such an easy kill. I'll admit that I missed the first three shots, but the next one was a direct hit. I'm sure I got it because after I hit the earth, up from the ground came a bubbling crude.

-Bob in Beverly Hills.

Zinho

Postby Zinho » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:02 pm UTC

cantab314 wrote:
I've heard of dropping weights on the ground, using dynamite, and the Soviets even did some seismic with nukes, but not that it can be done with a gun. Does it actually work? I can't see the impact being big enough myself.

It depends entirely on how big of a volume of earth you want to map. The Colorado School of Mines describes some low-tech seismic sources, including explosives, shotguns, and even sledgehammers. The shotgun gives a happy medium between the rigid permitting and expense of explosives vs. the poor repeatability and low power of the sledgehammer.

Of course, people with money to throw around (i.e. oil companies, as opposed to universities) will simply buy custom-made trucks with highly-repeatable weight drops, plasma sources, or EMPs depending on the application.

addams

Postby addams » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:21 pm UTC

[quote="drachefly"]SO, for those of you who are feeling lost, I'm surprised no one's explained yet - sometimes, geologists set up listening equipment along the ground, then shoot the earth with a gun to create a time-localized sound wave. It is the ping in underground sonar.

The joke relies on your already being aware of the original purpose for shooting the ground, which many of you apparently didn't. And if you're coming to xkcd, you should expect the humor to sometimes go over your head. Happens to me too. But since I know to expect it, I don't rant when it happens:

Yes. That stuff, about stomping and listening.
And; A bunch of other stuff, too.

In The Old Days, Geological Features had meaning to The People, sometimes.

In Scotland, maybe. Well; It happens all over the world. The landscape Looks like something.
Once a person is told, It is hard to unsee it.
Like the Man in the Moon or the Rabbit in the Moon.

The People went to Court and asked for The Head of a Mountain to be spared.
Silly People. I listened to an explanation.

It made sense to me. The foot hills on the Eastern side of the Serria Nevada look like feet to me.
The mountains in Scotland are smaller than the mountains in North America.

ok. It is meaningful to me on two levels.
Can we find a third?

Oh. The obvious.
Geologists take Rocks back.
Geologists sometimes carry guns.

Role playing with Rocks.
Be careful. Rocks can shoot back.

A fourth. I think I found a fourth way it is Darkly Humorous.
The Bio Majors are not chiming in?
No, Bio Majors?
How about Fish and Wildlife?
(Almost the same thing.)

e-mail the Bio dept. with this one.
Ask them. Is it funny? Or; Is it, just, Dark?
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Condor70

Postby Condor70 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:41 pm UTC

I assumed everybody knew or at least would have seen Jurassic Park!

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:58 pm UTC

rhomboidal wrote:I'd also like a job where I have a daily equal need of a pistol and a pickax.

I love my job, where the use of computer and sword* come in each and every day.

*and by sword, I mean machete.
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

Davidy

Postby Davidy » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:39 pm UTC

Nothing here...you're here. Connection?
"It's only funny until someone loses an eye, then it's still funny but they can only see it in 2-D."

WyldStallyns

Postby WyldStallyns » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:28 pm UTC

eran_rathan wrote:I love my job, where the use of computer and sword* come in each and every day.

So you're a programmer? http://xkcd.com/303/
"I give the Internet credit for everything good that has happened since 1969." - Bob Metcalfe, inventor of Ethernet.

thevicente

Postby thevicente » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:45 pm UTC

NiteClerk wrote: I'll admit that I missed the first three shots,

This gave me a What-If idea (not really, because it's a bit lame) Given there's Gravity, how does one NOT miss the Eatrh with a firearm? we use huge-ass rockets to do that, and before that Jules Verne speculated a huge-ass cannon

Ninja'd by wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/From_the_Earth_to_the_Moon#Technical_feasibility_of_a_space_cannon

Carry on, then

brenok
Needs Directions

Postby brenok » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:07 pm UTC

drachefly wrote:

After 44 posts, without one insightful, witty, or even accurate thing to say*, this flat statement that you don't like it is supposed to do what? Get us to turn around and decide that we'll overwrite our preferences with yours?

*have not checked the previous 44 posts, must as I hope toadpipe hasn't if (presumably) he dislikes them so much. If he has seen them all, the people who forced him to do that must be evil evil people.

He is, of course, lieing or misremembering (both?). Look a older post from 2012 (yes, I've checked them all)

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=81588&p=2905732#p2905732

EvilJeffy

Postby EvilJeffy » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:30 pm UTC

Ok, as a Geology student I only have one gripe. Your using the rock hammer backwards. The pick end is for prying, it really does not stand up well to bashing stuff.
On another note, this is about how I feel when I take samples....

cream wobbly

Postby cream wobbly » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:41 pm UTC

Quicksilver wrote:Just a generic rock? Why not something of value or difficulty to obtain? That's what framing game is all about.

I think you may not have heard of canned hunts.

EvilJeffy

Postby EvilJeffy » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:18 pm UTC

Actually it would be more likely to be an interesting sample of something really strange....

an Igneous sill with 6-8% Potassium comes to mind....

Although if it is 4.5 billion years old it would be a zircon (or a schist that contains a zircon).

Zircons are the cockroaches of the mineral world, which would explain why he had to shoot it first.

EvilJeffy

Postby EvilJeffy » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:22 pm UTC

That and when a geologist mounts a rock it would most likely be a 30 micron slice on a slide.... I actually have a professor who has a granite counter top, and a framed photo of a thin section of the counter top in cross polarized light hanging in the kitchen.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:45 pm UTC

pkcommando wrote:
Barstro wrote:

Since all they did was wound it, they only made the Earth more dangerous. :shock:

Are you implying... earthquakes and the likes are retaliations of Earth because of our mines and land-fills? :shock:

geomike

Postby geomike » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:21 am UTC

I suspect the rock he mounted on the wall was gneiss. (He probably wouldn't mount a piece of schist over his head, and we can't take it's identity for granite.)

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”